Temple Grandin (TV Movie 2010) Poster

(2010 TV Movie)

A sensitive, realistic portrayal of an amazing woman
willow26 February 2010
I could not disagree more with the first reviewer.

I think this is the least clichéd portrait of an autistic individual that has yet appeared on TV or in film. Like anything, autism has positive and negative effects, as this film makes plain in its well-rounded examination of this real individual's life. Temple Grandin does not understand people, her manner may be considered strange, but her ability to conceptualize and focus enables her to be an innovator.

Unlike many other films, including "Adam" (which starred Claire Danes' husband, Hugh Dancy), "Temple Grandin" does not seem to request pity or condescension from the viewer or apology from the autistic character. Despite a childhood filled with bullying and derision from others (subtly sketched in the movie), Temple is focused, confident, driven, and gutsy. Her autism requires no pity and no apology: she is "different, not less" (a line repeated in the movie). That's the reason she was able to succeed. Yes, she gave the valedictory speech at her college graduation, though she did not speak until she was four: there is nothing far-fetched about it. Lack of language does not mean mental retardation.

The movie jumps around in time, but I did not find it hard to follow. The main thrust of the narrative is Ms. Grandin's interest in cattle and the story of the educational path that led to her innovations in the field of livestock management. Episodes from her earlier life are inserted in the narrative in ways that give insight into the character. Her interest in science and her ability to conceptualize were nurtured by a caring science teacher, wonderfully played in a subtle performance by the always capable David Straithairn. Julia Ormond is also strong as Temple's mother.

Ultimately, the people in Temple's life accept her and celebrate her for who she is, and for her unique insight and abilities. I hope this film will help people realize that autism is not a disease and is not a tragedy.
66 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Claire Danes better get a freakin' Emmy for this
rushingj@swbell.net20 February 2010
I'm a parent of a child with high-functioning autism, and while my child's condition isn't nearly as severe as Ms. Grandin's, I was touched and awed by the portrayal in the film on a deeply personal level and as a fan of film.

Not once during the entire film was I able to sit back and say, unequivocally, that's Claire Danes on the screen. Not once, because that was not Claire Danes - it was Temple Grandin, or at the very least what we saw on the screen was %99.999 the character brought to life with an unbelievably immersive portrayal of Ms. Grandin by Ms. Danes.

I've seen those looks, those pensive stares filled with wonder and awe and fear but on a level so completely foreign to those of us who do not have autism. There were moments in this film I was looking right into my child's eyes through that screen.

Ms. Danes is an extraordinary talent, and while I've watched many of her films with interest, I will make it a point to see those I have not yet seen, and will watch with renewed interest and intensity those I have already seen.

Wow...seriously, that's about all I can say about her performance - Wow.
103 out of 106 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Different and Great
conlaw7 February 2010
If this were not a TV movie I would expect it to be listed as an Oscar nominee. The movie is captivating not only for the exceptional acting but providing us with a glimpse into the world of autism. Everything about this movie points to excellence: the writing, the direction, the cinematography and the acting of a superb cast featuring Claire Danes in what must be the role of a lifetime.

The movie is moving in its emotional impact without becoming maudlin. The pace of the movie is quick and takes us through a number of years in the fascinating life of Temple Grandin without losing us or boring us.

Temple Grandin describes herself in the movie as "different not less." I would describe the movie as "different and great."

The cast and the crew may well be in line for Emmys and Golden Globes. If so, let no one say it was because of sympathy for the subject matter. It deserves any awards it wins for the excellence of the production values.

This is TV at its best!
123 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic movie with an inspiring story
Bobby74711 February 2010
This was a great biopic. The lovely and multi-talented Claire Danes did fantastic work playing an autistic person. I have not seen or met Dr. Temple Grandin in real life, though I have known autistic people in my life and there was never a moment in "Temple Grandin," that wasn't believable.

Addressing the whole "reinforcing the stereotype," situation that constantly come about after films like, "Rain Man," I do not believe the films reinforce stereotypes. It is the mistake of the viewer to make general assumptions based on a single incident.

Temple Grandin shows more about someone with a psychological condition than just having the ability to persistently have a big heart as in "Radio," or "I Am Sam," (important to say that those characters were not autistic)even though they served their own purposes.

Autism is a different way of experiencing the world, but the individuals who are autistic are individuals as any one else. It would be ignorant to say that they are all savants or have special abilities, but if they are immersed in an environment that suits an autistic person's needs and way of thinking, then they can grow, thrive or fail as any other individual in society. As far as the movie illustrates to us, in Temple Grandin's life, she needed to be taught self-reliance, self-awareness, and have her potential recognized and cultivated as well as patient, loving, and understanding emotional support.

Temple Grandin's story explains this all quite well I think. Of course there is an entire spectrum of intelligence levels among autistic people, as there is with people without predisposed psychological conditions, it would be ignorant and cynical to assume otherwise. Temple Grandin is a genius, who happens to be autistic. Fantastic movie.
55 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful movie
dgomen7 February 2010
First, I also disagree completely with the first reviewer. It makes me wonder if this person actually knows someone who is autistic. And this is the only downfall of the movie if there is one at all. I feared that someone watching this movie with little to no autism experience would take the presentation of this great story the wrong way. Thinking it may be silly or shallow, when in fact it is not. Anyone who has not had first hand experience may need some instructional guide along the way. I would recommend reading her book and the purpose of the way this movie was correctly portrayed will be clear.

My son is 8 years old with Autism and so much of this movie hit home with me and also gave me hope. It is an inspiring movie and story, and a true one at that. Time constraints understandably didn't allow for the whole story to be told, but this was a great attempt and success in doing so. It is so hard to explain to other people about the intricate details of autism with out lecturing someone on it for hours. This movie helps bridge that gap for the unaware and touches the heart of hope to the ones who are aware.

Thank you for making this movie. I read this book a couple years ago and was delighted when I heard they had been making the movie, but also worried they would get it wrong. Well they didn't, wonderful movie!
87 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie is amazing
GrammarMatters7 February 2010
Don't miss this movie. You will be glad you saw it. It does a great job of letting you see the world through the eyes of Temple Grandin.

I've seen the real Temple in documentaries and such several times, and although Claire is too good looking - she does a great job of capturing what it is like to be Temple.

The movie is intense and I almost felt like I was experiencing the world the way Temple would. Congratulations to the writers and director.

Temple is a brave and heroic figure and this movie will leave you spiritually uplifted and optimistic.
69 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fantastic!
tbdwittyname7 February 2010
I saw a documentary on Temple Grandin that I found very inspirational. I had hoped that this film would bring about the same feelings and, thankfully, it did not disappoint. Claire Danes hit a home run with this one; I was really impressed with her portrayal. She went smoothly through the extremes of emotion that Temple felt: terror to delight, anger to pride. The sometimes halting, awkward way that Temple speaks combined with the often too-loud volume must have been difficult for her to mimic. But Danes managed to do it very convincingly. The director, Mick Jackson, should also be proud of what he's accomplished. The addition of the moving cattle diagrams and the distorted sounds really gave the viewer an idea of how Temple's mind works. This is my favorite HBO film since "Something the Lord Made" and I hope it gets the recognition it well deserves.
41 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's tremendous and here are some very good reasons for my reasoning...
veritable329 February 2010
So much Autism in my family and such a rinse to see it portrayed in a respectful and yet, unhappy and troubled way. Autism is not for the Hallmark Card set - it is not for the After School Special digesters - it is difficult and rife with woe but also filled with newness and, forgive the hyperbole, wonder.

I thought the director and Danes went to important extremes that were so vital to telling this great, great story.

I have A.S. and I will tell you - the moment Temple realigns the uneven wallpaper in her mind - it had me. THAT is the mind of someone outside the room of traditional music. This is a great film and Claire Danes is giving the performance of unbelievable honesty and valor. Bravo to Jackson - Brava to Danes.
43 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Thought it was terrific, but....
Barbie R.7 February 2010
I thought the movie was well made, and that Ms. Danes did a great job showing the confusion and terror that can accompany autism. But what really surprised me...was my husband...who sat and watched the whole movie with me and thoroughly enjoyed it! He felt bad that so many men that Temple came in contact with in the cattle industry were cruel and inconsiderate of her. We were both glad that someone finally gave her ideas a chance, and that her designs still are the standard of today. After watching the broadcast, I wanted to learn more about Temple and went online immediately and watched some old interviews with her. It made me appreciate the performance of Ms. Danes even more! My husband and I both wish heartfelt congratulations to both HBO Films and the real Temple Grandin.
96 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Life is mysteries and a door will open, just walk through it.
Bigrob26236 February 2010
I found it wonderful, precious, motivational, makes you feel as if you are a character in the movie. It just pulls you in her mind and makes you discover her thinking also making you wish you could help her. Also shows you in this world life isn't easy an some people are not very nice (as we all know) but out of the hundreds of people is very much ONE person not afraid to help. Temple shows the viewer we can all be scared. Whether you have disabilities, fears, doubts or anything you can imagine you simply can do it, she showed it. Claire Danes you made me believe you were Temple Grandin I applaud you for your dedicated work maybe will see you at the Awards in 2011. Take a Bow (or a Hug Machine) So much more to add but I advise watching & Watch with your heart.

"If I could snap my fingers and become non autistic I would not do so. Autism is part of who I am." - Temple Grandin
29 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Finally a movie that accurately portrays Autisim
wayno-619 September 2010
Temple Grandin (2010) Spoilers Ahead! Rarely do performances such as this, suspend disbelief. Not since watching Judy Davis in Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (2001), have I been so enamoured with the level of acting, found here.

Having Asperger Syndrome myself, I have read many of Dr. Grandin's books, and I am quite familiar with her biography. Claire Danes absolutely nailed this performance. It's clear she did her homework, and spent a lot of time preparing for this role.

I found this film comfortably familiar. The struggles faced as a child. The bullying. The misunderstandings. The literal interpretations. They were all present. They are part of our past, that has transformed us into the people that we are today. I didn't just watch this. I participated. This was my own life unfolding, as I watched this biopic. Claire Danes took on the life of Temple Grandin, and made it her own.

It is a unique perspective, into the life of Autism. Finally someone has captured what it is really like, living on the Autistic Spectrum. The over sensitivity to light and sounds. The misunderstanding of body language. The unique perspective and creative problem solving abilities we share.

No. This wasn't a just another video. It was life. While I don't have the eidetic (photographic) memory that Dr. Grandin has, nor am I able to visualise, my route to learning and understanding the world around me, is in the sounds. I have an acute auditory (hearing) memory. Like the blind person in the film, I remember sounds. It is my gateway into the world.

Claire Danes herself, said it best:  I think people confuse fame with validation or love. But fame is not the reward. The reward is getting fulfilment out of doing the thing you love.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Overflowing with emotion
anchor-96 February 2010
That this production is near onto perfect can readily be documented by the votes cast. That it touches intimately on subjects so personal and universal through a story documenting a case of autism can only be appreciated by viewing it. It is an amazing effort on the part of so many persons bringing this story forward so vividly. Maybe Temple was lucky that doors were not kept out of her reach at times of incredible change; maybe her gifts would not have been realized had she not been strong enough to open the doors herself or been strong enough allow others to help. But luck has nothing to do with the quality of this vision shared. This production is something to which all should aspire.
39 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I was blown away. Super real-life story with Claire Danes in an award-winning performance. I like everything about this movie.
TxMike26 October 2010
On DVD, a Netflix rental.

The story jumps around a bit in time but it is never done arbitrarily, and is always easy to follow. It spans from the mid 1950s to the late 1970s.

Claire Danes is Temple Grandin, born with autism at a time when autism was not yet understood. An indication was telling the mother that the 4-year-old girl should be institutionalized, ostensibly for the rest of her life, because there was no "cure." This movie, and Temple Grandin's life, shows that there is no cure, but it also shows how that cannot hold back a person with the correct motivation.

I've always liked Claire Danes, as a pleasant actress in lightweight roles, but her performance here caught me completely off guard. The biggest compliment I can give is that very quickly I wasn't watching Danes portray Grandin, I was watching Grandin. I have seen many, many great performances in my 50+ years of enjoying movies and none were better than hers here.

Julia Ormond is her mother Eustacia and Catherine O'Hara is her Aunt Ann, where Temple first was exposed to life on a farm while visiting her for the summer before college.

Temple had difficulty but managed high school, and then also college. She was unusually bright, but not in the usual sense. She could not just listen to a subject, she had to visualize it, experience it, and when she did was able to master it like few could. In college her great motivator was David Strathairn as Dr. Carlock, a science teacher. Not only did he stand up for her when others wanted to dismiss her as too difficult, he taught her that when she sees a door (a barrier) she should look it as a door of opportunity. She kept that vision as she encountered barriers, and she encountered them often.

Temple Grandin was both practical and empathetic. One of her specialties became livestock, cattle. She knew they had a purpose, to be killed for our food, but she set out to improve the handling of cattle so as to keep them calm and minimize their suffering. It is estimated that 50% of the cattle handled in North America today are done so by techniques she pioneered and worked to have implemented. Today she is a professor.

A superb movie of a really inspiring woman.

March 2018 update: I watched it again now, it was just as absorbing as it was when I first watched it.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
had it not been 'made for TV'....
witster1827 March 2010
we'd be looking at a Best Actress award for Claire Danes, and possibly a Best Picture.

Seriously, line them up... put Sandra Bullocks' performance in 'The Blind Side' and line it up against Claire Danes here and Sandra gets annihilated... blown out... left in the dust of the herding grounds.

Temple Grandin is an absolutely fantastic film.

Nothing unpleasant is glorified. The supporting performances are first rate, but it is Claire Danes' total emergence into the character that mesmerizes the audience. From her walk to her facial expressions - every scene is perfection. This is the kind of performance that will garner lots of critical acclaim, and bring her a new group of devoted fans.

Reduced to tears by the inspirational story and performance. Highly recommended. 96/100

You'll like it if you liked: Forest Gump, Rainman, Terms of Endearment, and Shine.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why Temple Grandin deserved Oscar nominations.
SkyPowers14 February 2010
There are some reviewers who will never award a 10 under the premise it is theoretically unattainable or lessens their credibility as a true auteur and critic of the filmmakers art. When I worked for MGM and the "Rain Man" campaign, I already had written hundreds of synopsis on the back of video boxes, including all the historic landmark films I studied in film school. It hurts to know this film is not nominated for a Best Picture Oscar nor Danes for Best Actress, for which I believe she would and should win -- the acting demands of her performance exceeding Dustin Hoffman's in "Rain Man." She had more emotional and intellectual notes to play and she played them to perfection. As for the film, it touches on the subject of life and death, not only for animals but humans as well in a searingly raw and truthful way, much as my own mother, suffering from dementia at her deathbed asked me, "After I die, then what?" Dane's performance reminded me of Patty Duke's in "Miracle Worker" in which the entire performance transcended the craft into pure belief. Acting is believing and you don't for a microsecond believe she is acting. As did her character Temple Grandin, Danes has "walked through another door into a whole new world" as an actress.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
HBO's Temple Grandin deserves all the accolades and more
Zonieboy2 September 2010
This HBO production is a stellar achievement in storytelling. This a great culmination of many great talents coming together. First, there is the story of Temple Grandin and her unyielding and devoted mother. From these people unfold the inspiring story of her life. Then, the director, producers, the actors,all the great support staff who brought it to life as well. Also the musical score provides a great backdrop that links with the visuals in the movie to give you a wondrous effect of how "Different, but not less" her mind views the world.

This story would not have turned out to be the inspiration that it is had Temple's mother, Eustacia followed the advice of the day. That being to institutionalize your child. I am sure at times it was a very long and arduous road to go down, that of raising a child with these difficulties. Child rearing is challenging on all levels, but from just the small glimpse you see of Temple as a child you get a feeling of her mother being the person who would not give up on her child no matter what the conditions might be. That in itself is an admirable tale, of unconditional love.

To quote a phrase from "Forrest Gump", people say they don't believe in miracles. To which Forrest replies,"But they do, they happen everyday!" This in essence is so true for Temple Grandin. The story portrayed here in the movie is a true tale, not one of fiction as is the case in "Gump". She had "miracles" so many times in her life. There were so many roadblocks to hinder and stop her but between her determination and the right combination of people with true and understanding hearts, the miracles happen for her. I do not bring up "Gump" as a story that is similar to Temple because they are not similar in anyway.It is just that the quote brings the wonder of daily miracles into perspective. Grandin's story is true and that brings this tale to a level beyond amazing. Clare Dane's performance is nothing short of astounding. Julia Ormond and David Strathairn bring so much heart to their roles. Temple Grandin is an amazing person. She has her BS,a MS and her PhD as well. Lectures about autism and animal husbandry. Published as an author,a professor at Colorado State Univ.,she is in short to me nothing but a hero for never giving up and "Opening New Doors!".
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
'Different, but not less.'
gradyharp27 June 2010
TEMPLE GRANDIN has a committed following group of admirers of fine film making: the reason the group is not larger is that this little film is a 'made for TV' movie and that at times puts it into the 'inconsequential' category in people's minds. Nothing could be further from the truth. The film deals with autism in an honest, extremely sympathetic and intelligent way. While there have been other films that deal with the various forms of autistic behavior ('Adam', 'Rainman', 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape', I am Sam', 'The Other Sister', 'Forest Gump', 'Little Man Tate' to name a few of the better known ones), few succeed on the level of this beautifully written adaptation of autobiographical books by the title character Dr. Temple Grandin (adapted by Christopher Monger and Merritt Johnson). It is fearless in its discussion of autism and for once shows how the autistic mind can function (for Temple, it functions in pictures and leads to a highly successful career as a scientist) in a manner that can be an incredible resource for mankind. It simply works on every level, much to the sensitivity of director Mick Jackson who seems to understand the complexities of the mind of the central character as well as the responses of all of the ancillary characters.

Claire Danes BECOMES Temple Grandin, so fine is her acting and her ability to bring the audience (and the cast of characters) into the inner workings of the autistic mind. It is an astonishing performance of a mute four year old girl encouraged by her mother (Julia Ormond), her aunt (Catherine O'Hara), and one particular science teacher Professor Carlock (David Strathairn) who teaches her that doors (a common thread throughout the film) are meant to be opened because opportunity lies beyond. How Temple progresses from special schools, learns to build a hugging machine that supplies the lack of embraces she apparently missed as a child, and becomes obsessed with the inhumane treatment of cattle in her observations of ranches and slaughter houses in Arizona, leads her to earning not only a college degree, but also a Masters and a PhD in Animal Husbandry. Throughout the movie Claire Danes maintains her character's idiosyncrasies and her reaction to the frightening world around her with such credibility that she takes us with her on a journey of understanding the miracles that can happen with the minds of autistic people: no one thinks outside the box in a more positive manner than does Temple Grandin. This is a beautifully made film on every level and one that should be required viewing for all people.

Grady Harp
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Masterpiece and a Future Classic
JimmyMcNulty9929 September 2010
About the only flaw with this film is that it was only on HBO, yet it deserved a wide theatrical release so as to expose more people to this marvelous work of cinematic art.

Claire Danes didn't deserve an Emmy for her performance...she deserved an Oscar!!!! I never thought Danes was a first-rank actress (remember Terminator III?). Then I saw this movie and was utterly amazed by her transcendent performance. Danes easily moves into the first-rank of modern actresses with this stunning performance. She was born for this role. It was like watching Brando play Vito Corleone or Hanks play Forrest Gump in the sense that she "became" her character.

This is an amazing film and every thinking person alive today should see it.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
EXCELLENT and well worth watching
pazera636 July 2010
I stumbled across this movie while channel surfing late one night. I was glad I did... and so was my husband when he sat and watched it with me. This movie grabbed me not for the discussion of the role of autism in Temple's life, but rather for the interesting chain of events that lead Temple to where she went and what she did in her life. I laud her for making the choices she did and standing up for what she believed. And I laud the rare individuals in her life who looked past the "handicap" the rest of society saw helped her along the way.

While a few reviews feel this was a trite movie, I think they are wrong and missed the point of the presentation. Claire Danes brought her talent to this role and cranked it up a notch and let us see Temple - not Claire playing Temple. The writers gently mixed in the story behind the person with flashbacks of her childhood and showed what made Temple who she was as an adult - and what motivated her in her life. Mick Jackson and the writers didn't feel the need to get overly graphic when showing elements of the meat packing industry, but they did make their point by showing that Temple made some significant and humane changes to the industry.

BRAVO HBO for backing yet another excellent movie that tells the story of a woman who in spite of fear, handicap, and social stereotyping opened doors to new opportunities for herself and for many others around her.
Absolutely Brilliant
sddavis6313 March 2010
The first thing that must be said in commenting on this movie is that Claire Danes is absolutely superb as Temple Grandin - this is truly one of the best performances I've seen in any production in years. I've known people with autism/asperger's, and she captured the condition perfectly - from her fear of human contact, to her inability to interact "normally" (whatever that is) in social situations, to her brilliance - because many with this condition truly are brilliant people who (as the movie points out) just happen to perceive the world and think about the world in different ways than most of us. Danes was unbelievable.

The story of Temple Grandin's life is also a great story of overcoming the odds. Again, as the movie properly notes, in the 50's people with this condition would be institutionalized. She, on the other hand, was kept at home and nurtured and educated and challenged to become all that she was capable of. In that respect, in some ways this movie is really a tribute to her mother. Eventually, Temple did succeed beyond what most people (with or without autism) are able to do - ending up with a PhD in Animal Science and becoming a leading advocate of the humane slaughter of animals in the food industry and a designer of humane slaughter houses. Because of that, my biggest concern is that the real point of the movie (which is to educate the viewer about the condition and about the potential possessed by people with the condition) is going to be lost, and this will end up becoming a part of the animal rights debate - which I understand has already happened, as some animal rights advocates have criticized Temple, while others (most notably PETA) have praised her. The point is - that's not the point of the movie! This isn't about animal rights, and - while it's a biographical movie - it isn't even really about Temple Grandin. It's about letting the viewer into the mind of a person with autism/asperger's. When looked at for what it is, it isn't controversial - it's absolutely brilliant. 10/10
Excellent Insight Into An Autistic, Beautiful Mind
katzinoire18 February 2010
Temple Grandin is my 11 year old daughter's new hero. I watched the film with her and she was amazed at how people would have even thought they needed to put Temple in a sanitarium. I loved how her mother managed to both recognize her daughter's condition (for lack of a better word) and also do her best to work with and around it. She made her daughter attend school, college etc and never allowed her to give up-even if that may have seemed like the easy way out.

Temple's connection with her blind friend made sense-the friend relying on sound and Temple relying on visuals made them a believable pair.

My daughter is at an age where people can be damn cruel. Instead of laughing at Temple's voice, mannerism etc-she asked why they were like that and after explaining what high functioning Autism is-she felt not sorry for Temple, but proud of her for her achievements. This is a truly inspirational film. Danes portrayal is amazing and I am hoping she gets a Golden Globe for it somewhere down the line.

I also was impressed with the visuals and the care taken in showing how information was being processed by Temple. Knowing that an Autistic person isn't so much staring in space, but seeing things in such a way it can be overwhelming makes one appreciate what they and their families contend with.

I read an article where someone asked Grandin if she could be "cured" of Autism, would she do it and her response was a resounding "no"-to her, Autism is as much a part of her as the mind it affects and she is who she is because of it. Embracing her status and not making one feel ashamed for it just makes her accomplishments even more impressive and endearing.

For the reviewer who thought this was a watered down lifetime movie, so very wrong. This is probably the most accurate portrayal of Autism ever seen.
Temple Grandin
ukantc17 February 2010
My wife who is a Speech Pathologist and works with autistic children wanted to watch this film and I just happened to catch it with her. For me, it magnified someone who was able to overcome obstacles that many people would never be able to or refuse to do. I am not familiar with Claire Danes or autism in general, but I was captivated to get a glimpse of how an autistic person sees the world around them. As someone who finds solace in solitude more than social situations, I could empathize with Temple to a degree and told my wife that occasional solitude is my own "squeeze machine", which she acknowledged with a nod of her head. If you want to see a film that is much more than just a glimpse at autism, I highly recommend it to anyone who has trouble moving beyond their social limitations and accomplish something that they are uniquely qualified to do.
Living the life...
zaenkney6 October 2010
Once again, I am collateral damage in someone's attempt to portray the essence of autism. My heart is beating too fast, a pain begins at the back of my head and I feel exhausted, but I am finally put to some kind of satisfaction. I have known Temple Grandin since she was a small child, through her books 'Thinking in Pictures' and 'Emergence: Labeled Autistic'. Nineteen years ago, I began taking her books, all marked, thoroughly worn and read, to the daycare, schools, and Sunday School Classes attended by my two autistic children, attempting to secure a more cooperative working relationship with these so-called educational professionals. Unfortunately, only two teachers took me up on my offer. But one of them, Cindy, went on to specialize in Autism and now trains other teachers.

This movie is excellent, the actors superb. Julia Ormond rendered brilliantly the affect of Temples distressed mother, suffering, at times, in a sort of PTSD haze, battle-scarred both from experiences with her daughter, as well as fighting the system to benefit Temple. At the conclusion, I feel drained, as though I have been fighting these wars again, for my own children. I hope and pray those who watch will respect the honesty of Temple's message and examine the easily obtained information about Autism in its various forms. 10/06/2010
A great movie!
ivancurlin110 September 2010
This is one of those movies that you enjoy to watch, and you have that worm fuzzy feeling inside your heart afterwords. Temple Grandin is a brave woman, and sees a world from different perspective. I enjoyed watching the world threw her eyes, because autism is considered a psychological illness, and the movie certainly proves it wrong.

I adore acting in this movie. Claire Danes did a fantastic job, she has been listening tapes of autistic people, and she really did "learn" it. Julia Ormond proved that she is an world class actress. I love her vulnerability, love to Temple and not ever giving up on her and saying that she is mentally ill.

7 Emmy awards were fair given to this movie. And one more thing. Quote: "She is different but not less" is the best quote I have heard in a long time!
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A great film and not a great TV show
wickest24 August 2010
The fact that this film is being considered for Emmies and not Oscars reveals the problem with adult drama in the US (my native country) today. The years covered by this production, mostly the sixties and early seventies, when autistic people and the role of women were so poorly understood-- and it is an important element in the film that the main character meets rejection because of problems not only with social acceptability but also with those of gender-- in mainstream America, were the golden age for many engaged and dramatically engaging film hits. This kind of cinematic and emotionally-satisfying fare pleased the general public and filled the coffers of the movie studios that now reject practically every intelligent project that comes their way, and actresses like Claire Danes and so many others have to wait years before being offered something that truly suits their talent, and then it is often for the "small" screen. It is no surprise, then, that every contributor to this film seems to recognize the importance of what they are involved with, totally aware of their part in this beautiful tapestry of character acting, intelligent direction, sensitive teleplay writing, graphic design, photography, editing, and sound effects (with reserves for the music which often sounded like a Philip Glass piece being used in a scientific documentary film). This harmonization and the emotional satisfaction it brings about when we are experiencing-- almost living-- the film bring back memories of those sixties and seventies film masterpieces like "The Last Picture Show," "Nashville," "Five Easy Pieces" or "Raging Bull" whose technical and emotional unity created fans of American cinema all over the world and were appreciated by audiences who paid little attention to their "PG" or "R" ratings and turned out in large numbers (of course this feeling that even the seamstresses who stitched the costumes were committed to the message and meaning of the film they were working on is often perceptible in great films from all periods-- be it "Carnival in Flanders" or "Ed Wood"). In the US, what is left of these audiences now have to turn to cable TV or Sundance Festival "Independent" films. In Europe, Hollywood's serious reputation continues to decline as audiences stop expecting American films to be worthwhile. I sincerely hope this film will be viewed in movie theaters as a shared experience among its viewers there: it deserves a theatrical release and will serve as a reminder that American cinema can still be rewarding. In the meantime, let's hope for as many Emmies as possible and thank HBO for continuing to carry the torch for the seriously ailing American popular cinema. Great films like this make us recognize how rare these experiences are nowadays. Maybe in the future Claire Danes, the other actors, the director, and crew members will be "up" for an Oscar after doing more outstanding work for the "big" screen.