Deliver Us from Evil (2020) Poster

actors did extremely well
Saf_Li19 September 2020
I would have given this at least 9 stars but there were a few ridiculous/unbelievable scenes towards the end, but its an action movie at the end of the day so we can excuse that I suppose. Minus that, the actors were perfect. Each one did a stellar job. The fight scenes were also really well done, not overly gory but not wimpy either...exactly what I like. Anyway, if you like action films and you don't mind a few silly mishaps here and there, watch this. if you don't like action films, still watch this for the performances alone.
26 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good action thriller with top notch cinematography.
Fella_shibby13 July 2021
A hitman named In-nam, after killing a Japanese mobster is told by his sources to disappear since the mobster's estranged younger brother, is seeking revenge on the ones involved in the murder of the mobster.

In-nam gets a message from his ex lover Young-joo, pleading for help which In-nam rejects and the next morning, In-nam receives a message that Young-joo is dead and her 9 year old daughter is missing.

The movie has the best knife action sequence after Raid Redemption.

The change of color palette is amazingly done.

It has lots of tension n some good action sequences.

The scene involving the kids n their trafficking/kidnapping is heart pounding.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An unstoppable force and an immoveable object...
tccandler27 September 2020
Hwang Jung-min and Lee Jung-jae face off as an unstoppable force and an immoveable object in this revenge thriller. As expected in a Korean production, the action scenes are stellar and the cinematography is out of this world. It doesn't redefine the genre, as there are many of the classic tropes... However, it packs an emotional punch and hits all the notes you'd want from a movie like this.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Korean version of Taken meets John Wick
Top_Dawg_Critic19 September 2020
Wow this Korean film was surprisingly impressive! It's one of the best Asian films I've seen. What's even more impressive, is that it was written and directed by a newb/amateur Korean filmmaker, Won-Chan Hong. You'd think a seasoned filmmaker put this action-crime-thriller together.

The directing and cinematography was perfection. Camera colors, shots and angles were top-shelf. The writing - especially for an Asian action film, was excellent. A great story that was cleverly written, well paced within its 108 min runtime, and properly edited. It literally is the Korean version of Liam Neeson in Taken meets assassin John Wick. The action sequences were expertly choreographed. The score was great and fitting, without being overbearing. Casting and performances were outstanding. The little Korean girl was so adorable. Filmmaker Won-Chan Hong is certainly one to keep an eye on.

I'll definitely be watching this one again. It's a well deserved 9/10 from me. To see more of my 1000+ ratings and reviews, and to see how I critique films, simply click on my username.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The cinematography stole the show.
flouraham20 September 2020
This one was probably the most anticipated 2020 movie for me especially after seeing how unique and intriguing LJJ's character is in the trailer, from the style to the neck tattoo also it's been a while he didn't play this kinda gangster roles. After i watched it i can say it's overall a good movie, the acting was good (as expected from korean veteran actors), the characters are very interesting and well designed, it's true the plot isn't completely new and it was done before so many times but the fight scenes had some new touch and it's beautifully shot too, that's why the cinematography was the best part of the movie and i really enjoyed it.

Yeah it's not new but it's totally enjoyable and interesting.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best action movie this year
priorallen26 November 2020
As foreign movies go action is never a problem but this also has a decent story to boot . Look no further deliver us from evil delivers on both aspects .Open a can sit back and enjoy top marks great movie
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Taken-Korean version, but better
chinandchin22 December 2020
I loved Taken 1 and 2, not 3, this film is something like that, chasing daughter from gangs + actions + twists, it's a bit more violent and more complicated in terms of the storyline, more dramatic, more tense, unlike the predictable Taken, this time you just wont know whats going to happen next, so basically better than Taken. If you like Taken you will 100% enjoy this film, if you are not a Taken fan, dont worry, this film is just so much more, a must see movie of the year.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a mediocre start, but...
ops-5253518 September 2020
Raking the skies of great action and suspence in its second half. its an easy go go kill for hire on a journey to bangkok to save an old friend that have stranded there getting spun into a spiders web of criminals whos looking for body parts to sell on the global human meat market, and childrens hearts and kidneys are very much sought after.

its a south korean flick, easy recognizable due to well made score all over, but it has a slow inconsistent start. but when the going gets tough, the action and speed of fighting and killing are litterally neckslithering. so be a bit patient there a lots to be seen , therefore a recommend from the grumpy old man
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Trust the positive reviews !!!!!
yvesdemaria5 November 2020
Super exciting drama thriller action movie taking place in Bangkok, very fun very exotic settings and atmosphere.

Very dark.

8 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic !
philipc-9103623 December 2020
The cinematography, the action , the story line , is awesome . There's a fighting scene where the children are in a building with the rival Ray, where they are fighting inside , then the shot moves towardS outside is just incredible ,you have to see if yo experience it. Movie was awesome !
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great action flick
PedroPires9016 January 2021
The Man From Nowhere meets Taken in one of the best action flicks of the year. Very well shot, stylized and with a lot of exciting action scenes.

I understand some of the critics, but you can't really ask much more from an action movie. We even get a truly emotional ending and no, I didn't expect it to end like that - maybe I'm still too used to American blockbusters. The acting of the top trio is top notch.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can't escape (the past)
kosmasp23 February 2021
Certain people have issues to escape what they are doing. And even if they manage to do so, most of the times they will leave something behind they urge to get back (to). It's the thing that one is supposed to evade (see De Niro in Heat, though he didn't really listen to his own advice either). In this case it is not even the strong wish of the main character to get back ... but an unfortunate "incident" that makes it impossible for him to stay away.

And while he is on the verge and on the lookout (or on a mission or however you want to call it), there is a different danger lurking! Actually not so much lurking rather than sprinting and running towards him. And this nemesis of his, who is seemingly unstoppable, makes this movie quite the experience. By the way the action and stunt work on this movie ... just wow! Incredible to say the least! Just for that this is worth watching, if you are into that sort of thing of course
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great action thriller
fakhar-abbas920 February 2021
Another great action thriller by Koreans. Great performances by Hawng and Lee. Action sequences are great as well. Worth watching and it will not disappoint you.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable Revenge Thriller
zachary-686903 October 2020
A bit slow at the start but the action scenes were nice, although sometimes the punches don't look convincing. (They speed it up to give the effect)
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun but don't expect too much
ScifiMethods3 November 2020
I was looking forward to this for a long time since it is the first movie to reunite actors Jung-min Hwang and Jung-jae Lee since the excellent New World (2013). Unfortunately I was a bit disappointed as it doesn't come close to being in the same league as that film, though they both put in good performances in very different roles than their last movie together. It was good to see them both again with that previous film in mind, but if you want much more than some stylish fun, you'll probably be disappointed.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A smashing action film, with crazy twists and turns!
therealbisch12 October 2021
I have been following Korean cinema for 20 years, and this is another fantastic example of their talent! This time in the form of an action thriller with a fantastic story and amazing acting performances! You will see one of the best bad guys in this film. It had me hooked and captivated all the way through, I was sad that the ride was over when the credits rolled. The cinematography is beautiful and sets the perfect mood with the story. Visually pretty brutal, but it has to be. Hollywood will look at this film with jealous eyes. I'm sure you all will enjoy it as much as I did.
Another Treasure From Korea
jeff-20511 July 2021
Reading the lukewarm reviews, I almost didn't watch this film. I have to guess that the 5 & 6's are because the writers are not familiar with Korean cinema. In any event, despite some of the cliches, this a fine film. Certainly better than 90% of sewage pumped out of Hollywood over the past 5-10-years.
Really good action movie
karlstark-227802 June 2021
The Story is well written and the action scenes are good as well. I like the actors and the gernal style of this movie.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The action scenes are solid
donjudesky31 March 2021
One hell of a movie... Great action scenes. You won't be disappointed.
Very Slow Burn
david-wooton16 January 2021
As some of the other reviews have said this has a slow start. But I would add it had a slow middle and end. It has a Taken feel but not on par with Taken. The action scenes are good and one of the villains chasing the main character is pretty cool. But I won't watch this film again. It's okay and worth a watch if there is nothing else on but I wouldn't recommend putting it at top of your list. For a film of this type, a much better one is The Horseman.
4 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of inspiration from Gareth Evan's style
fluffset11 January 2022
This movie is just decent, its cool and fun but when you notice a lot of similar style from Gareth Evans (The Raid), even the bomb movement. You will think that there is actually an original fighting style that is just created in 21st century and will be the trend setter in action movie for years to come. The editing is a bit sloppy I guess, when they fight, it looks too fast so not very natural at all. Other than that, it's fine.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I feel like I have seen this movie
hosseinhematinejhad24 November 2021
This movie is very similar to the Chinese movie Paradox 2017, but it is a little different. Some of the scenes in the movie are actually similar.

And that it was a very good and exciting film.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining but a lot of plot holes
misungpark25 September 2021
It's a very entertaining action flick with the right dose of suspense and violence. However I was quite annoyed by the high numbers of plot holes all along the movie. The director is definitely not very regarding when it comes to details and that killed a little bit the overall credibility. Acting is good and convincing.
Excellent
abonader-1465114 September 2021
Great movie..I wasn't expecting that .but it has everything you need from action movie and more..
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"You knew from the beginning how this was going to end"
soeprijo1926 August 2021
This crime action movie does not sugar coating anything at all. From kidnapping to illegal child organ harvesting, from drag queen to psychopath killer, from torture killing to blow up building, you name it. And you would find yourself hanging on the edge of your seat from the beginning till the end, even tough you know how this was going to end.

Another superb delivery from world of South Korean cinema, one that will leave Hollywood astonished and look at themselves with shame

Definitely 9/10.