Robin's Wish (2020) Poster

(2020)

Amazing documentary 10 stars
kenny-991588 September 2020
I don't usually write movie reviews. Absolutely loved it, never heard of Lewy Body Dementia . What a devastating disease, my dad died from alzimers so I can relate. Really explains what Robin his family and close friends went through. Puts to rest all the rumors the media spread. I actually met him once on his way to an event and he stopped took pictures and talked with everyone that asked. So yes he was really the guy you saw.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stays On Topic And Is Ultimately Better For It
zkonedog12 September 2020
When making a documentary about Robin Williams, it is so easy for the proceedings to turn into little more of a "greatest hits" compilation, so to speak. Cut together some of his best film scenes, talk show appearances, and stand up routines, and that doc would get a 7/10 rating form me in perpetuity. But in order to add something original to the coverage of Williams' life, an outside-the-box topic must be picked and stuck to. That is exactly what "Robin's Wish" does and is ultimately a great doc because of it.

"Robin's Wish" is very focused on the final few months of Robin's life--where he was clearly in an odd mental decline--and then the post-death diagnosis of Lewy body dementia. Largely shepherded by his final wife Susan, the record gets set straight here that Williams did not die of depression or drug use. He had a medical condition that quite literally attacked his brain.

Though incredibly well put-together, this doc is often very difficult to watch, what with the knowledge now that Williams was struggling with a disease he never fully understood in life. For a man in which a quick brain was his stock-and-trade, it must have been devastating to be stripped out that and not understand why.

About the only reason I can't give "Robin's Wish" the full 10/10 ranking is because it lacks input from many of his closest family members. Unfortunately, I believe this is because Susan Williams is not looked upon fondly by certain family members and a division exists there. That being said, there are no sour grapes aired out here. It more just a "conspicuous absence" sort of deal.

Overall, though, this is a top-notch look at the last days of Robin Williams' life, and the type of legacy the diagnose of Lewy body disease may have on his future legacy. Though incredibly sad in spots, it is also inspiring in that Robin's robust life legacy can be used to help others battling similar brain ailments.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Robins Wish
marmar-697808 September 2020
Robins Wish is a very good documentry that showed what happened to one of best persons that ever lived on this planet and how his life sadly ended.Im not gonna lie this was a hard thing to watch mostly because we were watching how Robin after he made so many people happy and to appriaciate their lifes more,that he had to suffer because of horrible desise.Story about him was shown in a very good way here and it put a even more respect from me towards him,sure this isnt different from any other documentry in a style but it doesnt need to be
13 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thought Provoking and Interesting
bruno-8314 September 2020
We have all seen or heard Robin Williams in some form of media where he has made us laugh or simply enjoyed his performance. This documentary tells us the story of his battle with Lewy Body Dementia and up until his passing having not being diagnosed. Susan takes us on her journey of finding out and understanding LBD explaining and telling us of Robin's symptoms and struggles with it. Interviewing people who were close to him, this documentary is mostly a sad journey but incredibly interesting and thought provoking. If only Robin knew what he was dealing with instead of the unknown, he may have been able to manage his thoughts and feelings better. I highly recommend this documentary even just to capture this brilliant comedian's life of giving and leaving us so many laughs.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fine documentary
edlc197010 September 2020
This is a fine documenrary about a fatal and disabeling disease, and a great actor/comedian. It has nothing to do with a cowardly act as someone has written??? It has something to do with a great man and actor, who had a fatal and uncureable disease.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One hard documentary to watch yet interesting
lisafordeay8 September 2020
Robin's Wish is a 2020 documentary based on Robin Williams struggle with Lewy's Body Dementia as well as the aftermath of his death on August 11th 2014. The documentary features interviews with Robin's 3rd wife Susan Schneider,Shawn Levy(Night At The Museum director),Robin's close friends and neighbours.

Similar to the last documentary Come Inside My Mind that documentary was based on Robin's life,whereas this one was aimed at his misdiagnose with LBD,what it does,what the symptoms are as well as the brain cells which gradually dies.

Having been a massive Robin Williams fan since childhood,I was really heartbroken when the news broke on his death 6 years ago. He was such a tremendous kind soul(never met the guy) but he loved making people laugh and cry.

At least his legacy will remain in all of our hearts forever. He left us with some great movies and he will always be my favourite comedic actor next to Jim Carrey.
8 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The suicide of Robin Williams
DLochner26 December 2020
Who Really Knows Robin Williams? A person who decided to commit suicide. The many speculations about the suicide of Robin Williams are finally put down here. The documentary goes deep into the possible causes of death of the great actor, but at the same time illuminates his intense life and his fantastic career. An intense life for a fantastic actor.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
captronray8 September 2020
Robin's Wish revealed the beauty and power behind the mind of one of the greatest entertainers of all time. He was a loving soul. Thank you Susan Schneider Williams.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A chance to know the man we only heard, saw and loved.
mayankmalviya12 September 2020
The honesty which the filmmakers have applied is amazing to see, also I really learned dome nicest of the techniques in documentary filmmaking. We loved Robin, and you will like this nice tribute the lovable man as well.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such an eye opening look into at what happened to Robin who had a uncurable, hard to diagnose disease.
rchosen-193-553512 September 2020
Like many people, the news of Robins suicide shook me to the core. I refused to accept it. How could someone so happy take his own life? When I heard later it they discovered what he had (after his death), it made much more sense. Watching this was very informative and despite making me feel better knowing he didn't perhaps take his life on purpose, it still hurts more to know he was suffering with something he didn't know he had and was taken away far to early.

If you watch this you will need Kleenex, though as much as it is about Him and what happened, it's also a tribute to a once a lifetime person. Hope you found your wings Robin.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nostalgic and also heartbreaking.
Anudeepsambaraju16 September 2020
Premise: Robin's Wish (2020), is a documentary recounting the final days of the beloved actor, comedian, lovable person Robin Williams. His battle with Diffuse Lewy body disease which is incurable, how it impacted him. The story is narrated by his wife Susan Schneider, close friends, and neuroscientist. The saddest part is, Robin never knew his enemy, what is he suffering from. Neither his doctors had any idea until 2016 by then it was two years since robin left the world.

Review: Robin Williams is widely creative, undoubtedly the greatest improvisational actor can fit into any role, no one can keep up with his humour, more than all he has been generous, a loving human always spreads happiness unconditionally. This film recalls the life and legacy of Robin from friends, neighbors, colleagues, and his wife, Susan Schneider. As we all know by now, Robin didn't commit suicide because he is depressed or addiction problems. He was suffering from rare Lewy body dementia (LBD). LBD Is a case of progressive dementia that leads to a decline in thinking, reasoning, and independent function because of abnormal microscopic deposits that damage brain cells over time.

The movie primarily focuses on the final days of the robin, his struggles, and more importantly, his strength. Despite fighting a war inside his brain with an unknown enemy, he still kept a smile on his face. He made the world a better place with his morals, generosity, humour. The movie also features some scenes of Robin Williams from documentaries and talk shows. Where we see highlights his major roles and how he brings laughter to people around them and his philosophies of life. This documentary also raises awareness about LBD. The symptoms and risks are talked by neuroscientists.

Verdict: As a fan of Robin Williams, this movie is nostalgic and also heartbreaking. Robins Wish (2020) Pays Tribute to the beloved actor Robin Williams, a full of life human being. Oh, captain my captain, you will forever be remembered.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent biography
mcn1964x13 September 2020
What an incredibly thought provoking insight into Robin's life and the pain he endured during the last years of his life! So tragic! I had no idea!
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
For those, like me, who did not know...
nakrugt22 November 2020
As a fan of his for as long as i can remember, i only knew the true reasons behind Robin Williams's death as much as the media reflected. I remember thinking to myself "it cannot be that simple", as a fan who did not want to believe what it was said and depicted on media. Thanks to everyone involved in making of this documentary, people will get enlightened not only about him but also a deadly decease that often goes not diagnosed or misdiagnosed. No short cuts, no agitation, just simple facts about last days of Robin Williams and what he had been going through. Thank you.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Passing the Blame
Johnny_West24 December 2020
Dubious documentary that seeks to blame an undiagnosed illness for Robin Williams committing suicide. Keep in mind that Williams was mega-wealthy and had access to the best medicine and doctors in the universe. The fact that Williams spent his entire life addicted to cocaine which gave him his hyper-active comedy style was not explored much. The fact that once Williams stopped doing cocaine he felt that he could not be funny anymore was not explored much. The fact that his family seemed to live mostly apart from him was not discussed much. The fact that Williams lived alone and in isolation while depressed, and had nobody that cared about him was not explored much. Seems like there are a lot of factors that contributed to William's demise.
7 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Deeply moving and informative.
SnobReviews12 October 2020
Heartbreaking, impactful and informative; "Robin's Wish" goes deep inside the mind of a creative genius and a disease with no cure.

In this documentary, Robin Williams' wife Susan tells the story of what really happened to one of the greatest entertainers of all time and what his mind was fighting.

Offering interviews with family and friends closest to Robin Williams, this doc will pull at your heart strings. Don't expect a film about Williams' life and career; this beautifully made doc talks about the disease he tried to fight and what it was like living with that. A very insightful film that fans of Williams should watch, but also to learn about a silent disease. Not everything unfolds the way the media portrays it and this doc is proof of that. A must-see.

Follow @snobmedia for all reviews!
Robin's Wish - Oh Capitan, My Capitan
asurans22 September 2020
Robin's Wish wasn't the documentary I was expecting at first glance. I was ready for something that would go back over his life of roles and characters and the people he impacted. Wow. Was I not ready for this tear-jerker. I really enjoyed learning Robin's background as a person and being taken on a ride of his life. I especially liked all the truthful information presented and explained that the public media companies often neglected to report. Hearing about how he was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia really got me. I've been around people with Parkinson's, dementia, and Alzheimer's. But Lewy body dementia was new to me. I found it so inspiring that someone who had this awful disease, and wasn't aware that he had it, could continue being the best they were. Robin really had it right in his belief in life. Once you realize that there's so much more than you, you have only just begun. Dead Poet's Society, a film I was shown while in high school, was where I got to see Robin act outside of animation and I really loved that. He was such an amazing person and he never stopped caring. Hopefully some of the other actors in Hollywood would take on his example someday. You will be missed, Robin. Thank you for all the joy you brought to this world, and thank you for all the joy your characters keep bringing to it too.
A down to earth legend
nezthe10 September 2020
Very few celebrities can be described as iconic, irreplaceable or genius. Robin Williams was all of this and also a regular guy who just wanted to entertain people and make them laugh. It's such a tragedy that he suffered this horrible debilitating illness without knowing what was happening to him, and awful for the people in his life to be powerless to help. There will probably never be anyone as quick witted and talented as him again, which is also a tragedy.
Heart Breaking Documentary
SHB_7310 February 2021
On August 11 2014 one of the funniest comedians in history tragically killed himself. Robin Williams always made me laugh ever since he starred on the TV show Mork & Mindy to his dramatic roles in movies such as Dead Poets Society, Awakenings, and his Academy award winning role in the movie Good Will Hunting. When news broke of his suicide I was in a state of shock, and I was crying. I couldn't understand why he did it and I was angry. But news came out of the disease he was fighting and didn't know he had it. This documentary does a great job of explaining Robin's battle with Lewy Body Dementia which affected his brain and had he been diagnosed with it earlier it could have been treated. There is no cure for this disease but the Documentary shows how it affected his way of life. Many of Robin's friends and neighbors talk about his last days leading up to his death (how he acted) and how deeply concerned they were for him. The most heartbreaking story is when his wife Susan recalls the day he died. The documentary gives excellent info on the disease Lewy Body Dementia I felt so bad because Robin was truly suffering. Robin's Wish is an excellent film I'll leave with this quote he gave in the movie Jack: Make a wish, think of me, make your life spectacular.
It made me ugly cry
danieshe21 January 2021
He was such a brilliant man and this tought me so much about how humble he was and how much he struggled in the end. He was a legend that will always be remembered for who he was.
Insightful
garethcrook15 January 2021
We were all stunned when we lost Robin Williams weren't we. It was genuinely shocking. Depression we thought. The sad clown. Well maybe in part, but only a small part, by no means the whole story. Williams committed suicide at 63 in 2014. Why? the world wondered. He was brilliant, talented, loved, what a waste. He had battled addiction, everyone jumped to conclusions. All of which were and are wrong. This documentary seeks to find some truth, some reason. That truth lies in the post-mortem diagnosis of Diffuse Lewy Body Dementia. A little known disease that effects the brain and the body. A bit like Parkinson's. Give something a name and you can build from there. That's what this film does, painting a picture of a devastating disease that moves fast, is incurable and always fatal... and he had no idea he had it. I think that makes it worse, if he'd have known, maybe he'd have found some peace, understanding what was causing his anxiety, paranoia, memory loss, confusion... but who can truly know. Much of this is made up of interviews with friends and neighbours, people he lived with. Despite being a global star, he lived a pretty humble life. Nice house, nice neighbourhood, but he wasn't hidden away. The other side, is specialists explaining how this disease works and how it would've effected Robin. What it did to his confidence, caused him to withdraw slowly. Good days and bad, the bad slowly outnumbering the good. Mercifully there's a lot of history too, an overview of how he came up. It's a pleasure to relive such an energetic career. Seeing that alongside explanations of how his brain was unwiring and the dementia it caused though is very sad. In many ways this jumps between the good and the bad, the way he might have. His relationship with his wife Susan, his friendship with Christopher Reeves, but lots of science too, overview stuff, but giving you a sense of what was happening. It's a tough watch. There's no happy ending. There's a little more understanding though. RIP Robin x