Host (2020) Poster

(II) (2020)

Incredible for a short, low-budget movie!
ravenhair70228 October 2020
I saw a trailer for this appearing on the IMDB homepage and I told my wife to look it up! Looks good! The movie was very in the moment as far as the quarantine, and a lot of people can find that relatable. Plenty of jump scares and I was on the edge of my seat! Very entertaining and it kept my interest. The acting looked intense and real. These people looked terrified! Getting down to the point, I thought this movie was great and It's not even an hour, so even If you're a hater and don't like it, it wasn't much time lost. Peace.
56 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did We Watch the Same Movie?
dougray302 August 2020
I simply can't fathom all the love for this movie. It's not AWFUL. The banter between friends is kind of fun. And the idea is okay. But friends dragging laptops around their homes (even the apartments are bigger than my little house) while checking on strange noises goes beyond suspension of disbelief. And there's no build to the story (although granted,, they didn't have time for one). There's a jump scare or two, and it goes fast enough with the short run time, but...I just don't get these 10-star reviews. I feel like they watched one of the other movies called Host that fill up the results box on IMDB when I type a search in.
158 out of 310 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creepy jumps
lloydyb13 August 2020
An atmospheric chiller with believable natural characters that draw you in to their joint Zoom séance. The movies low budget was rendered irrelevant due to the good timing and imagination of the director. However it's weakness was the lack of narrative and short running time; the film was more an episode in a horror TV show and so should be watched in that light to enjoy an hour's creepiness.
68 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than Anticipated
david-friederick8 November 2020
First of all, the reviewer who stated this movie is formulaic needs to learn the definition. I know what they are trying to say, but that isn't the correct word.

I enjoyed this movie, it was intense without music or an abundance of sound effects and the acting was very good.
23 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh...not bad.
reichjon-238288 December 2020
One person asked, "what kind of idiot does a seance on a Zoom meeting?" To which I ask, what kind of idiot does a seance unless they're 12? What difference does it make?

Which leads me to my next point -- I noticed a lot of other people saying "who grabs their laptop and carries it with them to check out noises around the house?!" Well...probably the kind of idiots who do seances over Zoom. Does it seem that unrealistic that they would bring the camera with them for the other participants of the seance to experience as well? I'm surprised so many people couldn't figure that out.

So normally I'd take away 5 stars automatically for it being a found footage. That's how serious I am in my campaign against that type of uninventive, lazy filmmaking. However, I found the idea a little creative and relevant with the runtime being the length of a free Zoom meeting, so I gave it a shot. That it was 57 minutes was a huge strength, any longer would have been unacceptable. And given the fact this was filmed during a worldwide pandemic, I forgave the fact that it was filmed as found footage.

All-in-all, it was a decent time. Nothing extraordinary, but not a pile of ass, either. Stay safe and healthy, everyone. ✌🏼
31 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Clap clap
scottmclean675 December 2020
Well done rob savage. 👏👏......an extremely entertaining piece of horror
25 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, predictable, formulaic, a waste of time.
Guratza17 December 2020
The protagonists are all annoying. Also they carry their laptops all around the house for no reason. Jump scares that are never scary, loads of fake jump scares which are also not scary, stupid dialogue, every cliche you can think of, and most annoyingly of all: a spooky music box. Yeah, right.

The idea could have been super scary though.

Give me back every minute spent!
50 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horror movie for people who... I dunno. I just don't know.
Victor_Fallon10 September 2020
For a modern film in the 'jumpscare' sub-genre, it is amazing that all of the scares are the same tired cliches. Sometimes the same gag is employed in back-to-back scenes. Baffling.

We are introduced to a group of friends in a Zoom call, all of 'em forgettable non-characters. They're just there. They engage in a seance (there is no artistry to this - it is them literally asking 'is there anybody there' next to a candle) and then a demon shows up. Any questions this may raise go unanswered. A spooky spook is gonna get 'em. That's it. I could forgive this extreme streamlining of plot, narrative, character and story if we were taken on a rollercoaster ride. But no. It's slow and often tedious. Not even the short runtime can hide this fact. Very little happens and when it does, you've seen it before.

I'm not impressed by loud noises and 2-frame inserts of 'scary' faces. Horror is a genre with so much to offer. This sort of movie makes me wonder if the filmmakers actually like horror. I doubt it. I think this was made for cynical reasons. Nobody was burning to tell this story.

The production is poor, which can be forgiven for the lockdown circumstances in which it was made, but that means we also lose out on costume, lighting, set design, score, etc. The writing is too scant to even criticize. The acting is barely present, with the exception of Seylan Baxter as the medium, who is the only actor that manages to present herself like a real person. She's good, and represents my one star.
37 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jump scares and horror clichés - but all well done
bob the moo16 August 2020
I'm no great fan of horror, but I had seen several of the director's short films, including the 2 minute video that led to this one, so I got a trial on the horror channel just to watch this. I've also only used Zoom once, and rarely use video during conference calls, so in that sense I am not quite target audience for this. Despite this it worked very well. The plot sees a group of friends all stuck in their various homes, using Zoom to get together and do a virtual séance for a bit of fun. Sticking with the Zoom format in a sort of 'found-footage' approach for the modern age, it follows the séance as it 'goes wrong'.

At a tight 60 minutes running time, the film doesn't waste a lot of time, but opens nicely so that we are in familiar territory - the technical issues, the glitches, the slightly forced air of 'fun', the people who put in too much effort, and the people who are showing off a bit too obviously. Whether you find that engaging or annoying, it is certainly convincing. From here we move into the bangs and odd occurrences, and things escalate quickly. The cast do a lot of good work in convincing of their fear - and given that mostly we are focused on faces looking at screens, it is an important factor. Mostly the scares are jump scares, but the consistency of them does create its own mood and tension. It is very much a genre piece, with Blair Witch, (Rec.), and endless other horrors in its construct - rather than seem derivative though, it manages to feel like it is drawing on the past to inform the current; it may not date well, but certainly for the current time the use of lockdown, isolations, Zoom chats etc, it does fit and works well.

Best watched like you're on the call - on a laptop in a darkened room.
31 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't get it
Stotinumdog552 September 2020
I really do not understand how this movie became so popular, its very poorly made and goes on far too long. It makes no sense how in a 45 minute zoom meet (shut off due to hitting the time limit) the friend in the UK went from daylight to pitch black in a short time period.

I really wanted to like this, but it brings nothing new to the table. The effects were good, but the story falls down very quickly, performances go from good to just bad and the story really lacks some power. It was al just a bit to meh!
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jump Scare Fest
chrisstetz26 September 2020
It's pretty well done but a really shallow movie.

The Zoom angle adds a bit of freshness, but it's not as good as the first Unfriended.

lots of loud noises, shaky camera's and essentially a long series of jump scares knitted together - even at 60 mins it felt a bit too long

Inane chat, but fairly natural conversations, zero story, but what it does, it does well. Just don't come looking for something engaging - it's a ghostrain on film.
25 out of 46 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Short and very sweet
bigbrowncows-116 August 2020
I don't think I've ever been driven to write a review before but I had to for this. Giving it 10/10 purely because it's the first horror film to actual scare me in years. Cast are great, effects are as good as they need to be, and it's only 57 minutes which is refreshing. Obviously if you don't like found footage style horror you're not going to like this but if you do you're in for a treat. And of course there's some questionable decisions by the characters but it's a horror film, get over it.
60 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Fun!
philipkmeadows18 September 2020
Watched by myself in a dark room - not disappointed

A creative way to adapt to the lockdown situation. Well done to all involved
15 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Formulaic
baileycrawly21 August 2020
Host doesn't do it for me, which is a real shame because I wanted to love it. It could've been a nice replacement for Unfriended, which is one of the better (albeit also very formulaic) horror films to come out in the last 10 years without the uncomfortable reality of profiting off bullying-related suicides looming over your head the whole time. Instead, what you got was a horribly formulaic film that, while executed well in some respects, just doesn't hold up very well. But it's always best to start with the positives. The banter between the characters is believable, although it comes off as forced a little bit. They've definitely gone above and beyond to perfectly replicate the Zoom experience, down to the limitations of using a free account.

However, the movie gets bad pretty quickly. It's boring; nothing of substance really happens and, when things finally do start to take off, it's exactly what you would expect from this kind of movie, practically down to every microscopic detail. Cheap jumpscares abound as a cop-out to avoid creating any real tension that pays off in a satisfying way. And the effects, when they were used (not mentioned in specifics due to spoilers) take you right out of the movie. They're goofy, cartoony and only scary because they're accompanied by loud noises and flashes of light. Mute the film and it'll offer you literally nothing. There's nothing scary or even remotely unnerving about this film.

Even the message of the film is old, one that's been done a million times. Don't contact the spirit world, because things will go awry. Duh. I can't realistically imagine a respectable writer in the business who would still see that as a subject fit for exploration. It's been done to death (no pun intended); time to move on.
55 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
bigspuds-627136 August 2020
Unoriginal rubbish. I can only suspect the people who have given this good reviews are friends of the cast or film makers. I've had more entertainment watching hair dry. Acting could be worse I suppose but besides that this film has absolutely nothing going for it. Its less than an hour and its still fifty minutes longer than it needs to be.
83 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Luckily this is only 50 minutes long
ricardo-consonni5 August 2020
This movie is terrible! Who on earth carries their notebooks around the house, to check on noises and such?! Complete waste of time.
80 out of 178 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Finally a horror movie that made me turn on the lights!
etruxell12 October 2020
Major, major props for the writers on using a plot that has been done so many times and managing to create such a scary and good movie. Everything about this movie felt real. I felt like I was in their zoom call with them and I felt their fear. This movie truly spooked me and I watch A LOT of horror movies. It was short, but extremely effective! Bravo!!
17 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake Reviews. Mediocre to unwatchable.
Kazombie28 October 2020
Pros: Good acting Interesting banter Relevant (to an extent)

Cons: Weak story Unbelievable scenarios with the camera Not scary at all

I give it a 1 out of 10 because of all the fake 10* reviews to even it out.
40 out of 83 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, and at an hour long, you don't have much to lose by watching anyway
Jeremy_Urquhart7 August 2020
It's unfortunately a little bit dull until the last 20 minutes. Things kick into gear with a particularly well-executed (and properly set up!) jump scare, and then escalate accordingly.

Even then, the finale isn't that much more impressive than the final act in your average paranormal horror movie, but the ZOOM stuff does become a bit more than a gimmick at that point, with some clever ways to deliver scares in a slightly new way.

Until then though, it's a bit dull, with characters + a set up and middle third that feel like a pretty standard horror movie.

Still, it delivers some pretty decent spoopiness in just under an hour, so I'd say it's worth a watch for horror fans.
41 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spooky
markthomassintek12 August 2020
REVIEW - HOST

As we all know over the past 4 months there have been very few new films because of the pandemic, which in a strange way actually made this film even more enjoyable.

Filmed during lock down and referring to the situation around the current pandemic a shot UK film was released that probably no one has heard of.

A group of teens do an online Zoom session with a medium to try and see what would happen, of course things go wrong when one of them doesn't take it seriously and summons........

Small budget, but hugely enjoyable and even actually made me jump in one place!

Definitely one to watch but just a word of caution, don't watch it on a windy night and leave your Windows open so your doors move on their own, spooky.

Rating 7 out of 10
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuinely Scary!! Don't Miss this Gem!!
paulsamuel-481773 August 2020
Happen to see this movie by chance and was blown away. The best part of this is movie is original and the brilliant writing keeps us glued towards the seat. The entire zoom concept was nice and interesting, which makes this stand apart from other session based or found footage movies. All the lead characters portrayal was great and the casting was aptly done. All the vfx shots was pretty much credible and gives genuine scare. Though initial few moments dragged a bit, it was for the ambience to keep us hooked. Once in, it was dark and ominous then. Being an avid horror genre fan, have got accustomed to most of the cliche based movies. But this gem which was made on shoe string budget would be one to look out for! Don't miss this movie!!!
57 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Illegally good for a horror show that is 2020
matrixdukenukem16 August 2020
First of all, this deserves a round of applause for recycling an tried and passed concept into something good while following the quarantine protocols. It is edited, crafted and scripted well. Yes there are some convenience the script takes but I am going to forgive all that considering the challenge and outcome.

Plot is simple. Six friends hold a seance on a zoom call, then everything goes to sheet. all the characters of this movie are cliché horror characters but in a hour you're not going to really care or root for any except for being scared for them ok a human level. It is acted incredibly well for a horror movie and that's really all that matters to make you believe into the plot.

A must watch horror in this quarantine. Ask your bf or gf to join for a watch along on zoom for extra effect.

Kudos to the team for pulling off this project.
51 out of 114 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Genuinely one of the most well thought out horrors I've seen
aisdeath11 August 2020
Ok-so I'm an actor. An actor who does a fair chunk of horror. An actor, who does a large chunk of horror who also LOVES horror. This is one of the most well executed horror movies I have EVER seen, from a simple but well executed story to an absurdly strong cast, to pace that at no point lagged. It is a testament to Sheppard and Savage and their cast that I screamed at various points throughout the film-very few horror films elicit such a visceral response from me, and I watch enough of them that I can be numb to a lot of scares. Sometimes low budget and adverse conditions help facilitate a work that stays with you and that's exactly what's happened here.
32 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Similar to Unfriended
blair-michael-williams3 January 2021
I know horror films seem to copy off each other but it's eerily similar to the Unfriended movies. I'm not sure why Hosted seems to have more public recognition though because I think it definitely comes second to the other series.

This film honestly has a lot of lose ends and things that just aren't logical even for a supernatural aspect.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So mad that I watched this whole movie
emjay77719 August 2020
One of the worst films I've ever seen. Don't watch this if you value your rime...
33 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.