Venom (2018) Poster

(2018)

3,419 Reviews
Good movie. Good fun. Tom Hardy is in all the scenes.
ThomDerd22 October 2018
Venom is about the symbiotic relationship of man and alien, with the latter being the gross one. Funny at times, with a lovely performance from Tom Hardy -if you are a fan of mr Hardy, this is going to be entertaining for you. First half goes very well in terms of setting the story and the venom universe, second part is more about action and there it has a few flaws but it is still fun and interesting to watch. It is a cool view on the "almost anti-hero" venom/eddie character that kept my attention. I had a good time watching this in the theaters and i ll definitely have a second view when it comes out in bray or dvd. So, all in all its def not the best action film of all times or even of 2018...but dont have too high expectations and you will definitely like it. 8/10.
184 out of 228 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very fun movie
GuanXing3 October 2018
I don't know what's going on with all the negative reviews. People are really hard to please! I went to see that movie without any real expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Tom Hardy does a fantastic job
  • Venom is an interesting and fun character
  • The plot is fairly classic for this type of movie; nothing good or bad about it
  • The special effects are great - I loved the transformation scenes.
Overall, I recommend it if you like the genre, want to have a good time with a dose of laughters and aren't overly hard to please.
2,028 out of 2,644 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do yourself a favour...ignore the critics!
ufarese3 October 2018
We just came out of the theatre and I can honestly say. I liked it! It was funny and it paid great homage to the Todd McFarlane bombastic Venom era of the late 90's. It truly baffles me that Sony would not take enough risks to release the film with an R rating. I wonder how much of this film was left on the cutting floor!?! Tom Hardy's performance is also on point and...just go see it.
2,200 out of 2,948 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED IT!
declan-989153 October 2018
First of all Iv just watched the movie a couple of hours ago and Iv just been reading a few reviews and I must have been watching a different movie to them cause I absolulty loved Venom!

I love the relationship between Eddie and Venom, they proper cracked me up with some of the things they said and the whole room was laughing at loads of moments throughout the movie.

Coming out of this movie makes me want to have a symbiote latch onto me if it's anything like the film. I loved the movie from end to finish, it was a hilarious, fun filled action ride!

My only critic is I would have liked the finale to go on for a little longer but other than that I thought it was brilliant, I deffo reccomend everyone go see it.

DONT Listen to other people's reviews, go watch it for yourself then decide if u liked it or not, I loved it!
1,145 out of 1,654 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the critics.
Chuckles0103 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics whom are desperately trying to remain relevant in a time where the opinion of the audience truly matters.

The movie is geniunely good. What it isn't is fantastic however.

-buildup. The intro of the movie was fine. Nothing spectacular but certainly progressed the story into the right direction. Though it did linger on for a tad bit too long.

-The plot while amusing, is definitely lacking and drops the ball at least at a certain point, which i cant really dive into here due to spoilers. This certainly is the biggest problem with the movie.

-CGI. Not great but certainly far from bad!

-Venom. The symbiote is awesome and i loved the bonding with Tom Hardy's character which truly moved the movie forward. Definitely the strongest point within the movie and was eager for more!

-Overall. Ignore the damn paid critics. They are a dying breed and shouldve been put out of their misery years ago. This movie is entertaining. While i was dissapointed with the lack of a true dark tone, it wasnt all pure comedy either. it was a decent balance.

Check this movie out for yourself and vote accordingly. This movie deserves that at the least.

1,396 out of 2,174 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good intro for Venom, but now I want more!
krazy-mm3 October 2018
Had a test screening tonight in cinema I work at, and couldn't wait to watch my all-time favorite Marvel (anti) hero on big screen. Tom Hardy is great as always, that guy really can act. Can't think of anyone else who would be a better choice for the role but him. Introduction was really long, but I was not bored for a second. When Venom comes in his true form - the party starts! Wish few action scenes were less like Michael Bay's style (hardly see anything) but the inner child in me was really happy for Venom's maniacal kicking and punching around. Venom's character is really well made visually - his walking, jumping and smashing are just like in the comic books - thumbs up for that!

Hope they will release R rated version on BluRay so we can see more of Venom's craziness. Tom Hardy allegedly said best parts are cut out to make the movie more age appropriate, and I think that's a shame. Anyway, I will watch this movie once more in cinema, and buy it on BluRay. After all, it's Venom!

Go and see it on big screen - hope you won't be disappointed!

Oh, and there are TWO mid-credit scenes - one we all are waiting for and another one that...just go and see it for yourself!
652 out of 1,045 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not terrible like critics make it out to be, but it's not great like audiences make it out to be
rowanmaillot12 June 2020
This movie is kind of a mixed bag. There are certain elements of it that I think are creative, but by far it is definitely one of the lesser Marvel films. The only thing I disagree with Martin Scorsese about is that "Marvel movies are like theme park rides" because there are ones like Endgame, Thor Ragnarok (my personal favourite Marvel movie), Civil War, The Avengers, Infinity War and many others that have a far deeper meaning and much more than just entertainment. Overall, Venom is one of those okay movies that doesn't deserve hate, the scenes where the Venom inside Tom Hardy's character is talking to him are pretty hilarious.

73%
52 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny and Entertaining
claudio_carvalho2 December 2018
"Venom" is a funny and entertaining film based on a Marvel antihero Venom with reasonable storyline, awesome special effects and weak and annoying villain performed by the awful Riz Ahmed. However, Tom Hardy has good performance in the role of the clumsy loser Eddie Brock and Michelle Williams complete the lead cast. This film is also the chance to see Stan Lee in his last cameo. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Venom"
31 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not so venomous
TheLittleSongbird17 October 2018
Do have a fondness for superhero films. 'Venom' also had talented people in the cast, Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams have both done great work in their careers, it looked interesting and found myself really fascinated to watch an origins story of one of the most interesting anti-heroes in the superhero universe.

Watched 'Venom' with reasonably high expectations and with the willingness, as always, to judge the film for myself and form my own opinion. Was aware that it was not well liked by the critics, but part of me was really hoping to disagree with the thought that could a film with so much potential be worse than it actually looked? Have to agree with those that were left disappointed, while also not finding 'Venom' to be that bad. Am not though going to join in the irritatingly excessive critic bashing from people who really need to start learning the difference between fact and opinion.

'Venom' does have good things. It is at its best in the scenes and chemistry between Eddie and Venom, which had fun and tension. It is when Venom arrives on screen too when the film properly starts to generate interest, after too long struggling to invest in the first act. The darker elements of the film are actually quite well done, having a dark grit and creepiness. It looks reasonably good, well designed and shot with slickness and atmosphere.

The music has pleasant moments and fits well while there is some exciting action, especially the car chase sequence. Some of the effects are terrific. Tom Hardy is intensely charismatic, with Eddie/Venom being interesting and well contrasted characters, far more believable than Topher Grace in 'Spiderman 3'.

However, the rest of the cast don't fare so greatly. Michelle Williams has never had a flatter character than here and is basically wasted in a development-free plot-device role. Riz Ahmed is far too anaemic for the one-dimensional villain that's both cartoonish and insipid. Of the characters, only Eddie and Venom engage and intrigue, the rest are flat. While some of the effects are terrific, others are terrible especially in the latter stages with the biggest offender being the rushed and clumsy climax.

It is the script and story where 'Venom' fails most. The script is really clunky, especially with the forced and goofy humour that can be misplaced (Venom's disgust at taking the elevator was the one moment passing as funny) and the villain spouting dialogues and speeches that mean nothing. The less too about the soapy and cliché-ridden scenes featuring Hardy and Williams the better, they are bland and don't serve much point, and the Life Institute scenes should have had more clarity. Unfortunately, these scenes dominate the first act and makes it feel rather dull and "taking too long to get going". The story is tonally disjointed, too many tones that are very variable on their own and don't gel together, and very clunky. This is not a case of the film not trying, to me it came over as trying too hard in catering to everyone and throwing in too many ideas and elements and executing them very variably and too safely. For a story intended to be dark and violent, this seemed rather tame and held back.

Summing up, a disappointment but not that bad. 5/10 Bethany Cox
170 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom is a great film that doesn't need to depend on the MCU or Spider-Man for its storytelling
firefox-680284 October 2018
Just to start I want to say my favourite super hero/ villain is venom so I may seem a bit biased but I tried to keep a level head going in and not let the fanboy out.

My honest feelings were that the film is exactly what it needed to be. Thank god they didn't pull and amazing Spider-Man 2 and tried to set up a wider universe. Yes there is space too but I believe this film can stand as a stand alone movie.

The opening to the point of Eddies first contact to me was really poor in the acting department and the story seemed very messy here however as soon as that symbiote hits it's full steam ahead!

Tom hardy has always been an actor that I can really rely on in movies and after seeing legend, (an excellent film which I highly recommend) I had no doubt about his ability to form the two identities of Eddie and venom.

The romance sub plot surprised me and I thought it was handled in a way rarely seen in superhero movies so well done on that.

A big point of content was the jokes. Yes the "turd in the wind" line is a bit cringy but I think a huge amount of the jokes do hit home. For people who have seen the film a certain joke regarding an elevator that was short and sweet and had me genuinely laughing at it.

Time to talk about venom himself! CGI on him is how I wanted venom to look in a live action version, that slimy, toothy, grinning look that looks like something straight from the comics.

This film will definitely not be for those that aren't really into comics and I think this film may hit a special place in some fans hearts like me. At the end of the day I say go see the movie and see if you feel the same way.

Something that I found really helped me was I went in not thinking of the MCU at large and Spider-Man at all and only when I was 1 hour in did I think "I haven't thought about Spider-Man once!"

To me venom is a surprisingly good film with some great action, visuals and comedy that occasionally stumbles, especially the clunky opening 30 minutes
555 out of 941 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the stupid critics! Great movie!!
xdonya_persianx3 October 2018
Just got back and to be honest I thought because of the critics that the movie would be a mess, but I reallyyyy enjoyed it!! Tom hardy did a great job as always and Venoms character was amazing! Loved the jokes and the relation between those 2. I think everyone should go see this movie with an open mind and not thinking about the bad critics, people always just want to complain about everything, specially when it's hyped. Conclusion: GREAT MOVIE, GREAT ACTING, IGNORE THE CRITICS
619 out of 1,057 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Missed opportunity
Watcher4225 November 2018
What an incredibly average film.

It takes no risks. It's watered down. It's generic. It's trying to give the impression it's following Deadpool down the R-Rated super hero route, but it didn't have the guts to go the whole way, or even take a step really.

Tom Hardy is an OK Eddie Brock, but I still find him a bit hit and miss as an actor, and that comes through even from scene to scene here. Sometimes he just mumbles his way through with no effort and I genuinely wondered if he was channeling Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man, while other times he actually seemed to be trying, especially with the physical aspects. There's no connection or chemistry between Tom and Michelle Williams. I guess she was just hoping for some Marvel money and didn't realise this was a Sony picture. And the rest of the cast are incredibly average and forgettable. Especially Jenny Slate, who will always be stuck as Mona-Lisa from Parks & Rec.

There's years of comic book lore and stories to draw on for Venom, but they ignore much of it... For example, why does Venom look like Spider-man? We know why from the comics, but in the movie it makes no mention of this, so we're left with questions and a very one dimensional character as a result.

Of all the stories that could have been told about a symbiotic alien, and all the interesting directions they could have taken the story, they decide to go with what boils down to a boring buddy movie.
230 out of 384 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the comments asking you to ignore the critics
misternintythree7 December 2018
Hardy was too macho for this role. Apart from this: Extra dose of awkward comedy; Plenty of plot holes; Eye souring visual effects; Bland music; Beaten down story; and even the fight sequences try hard to prevent you from enjoying this.
146 out of 254 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do Not Ignore the Critics
strboudouridis30 November 2018
It's a movie I will forget within a few hours. Typical Marvel garbage. The CGI is good, but other than that, nothing. Tom Hardy performance is poor but the whole script is poor. I am 40+ and this film addresses to much younger audience. I have seen worse movies, though.
73 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When you're tired of the Marvel formula!
dhdregun9 October 2018
Venom isn't a Marvel movie, for that it succeeds far more than if it had been. If you're getting tired of the Marvel formula then Venom is going to be a breath of fresh symbiotic air.

Venom occupies it's own universe, it's dark, gritty and more grown up compared to its counterparts. The existence of Eddie's personal life feels real, his struggles are far more relatable than any other character portrayed in a comic book movie so far. He is an everyday guy who screws up and because of that his need to redeem himself gets him attached to a symbiote. After that hes just trying to stay alive until the very end when the truth of his circumstance means he is the only one who can prevent humanities destruction. The movie didnt lead up to this, it wasnt even known what was to come until the last 20 minutes of the movie.

This is a marriage of two separate movies and it's done very well. You remove Venom and the movie feels like it could stand on it's own with a few key changes. The Venom portion hits all the notes required for a superhero movie.

You actually care about Eddy and it's not because they give some sappy back story about loss or self reflection. You care because you can actually relate with what happens to him and how you may have reacted in the same scenario. He wasnt rich, a god or born with powers, didnt live with super advanced technology or volunteer for an experiment. Hes just a guy with a 9-5 in a regular relationship and living in the same world where shake downs and homelessness exist.

The critics wanted a different movie then what they got. They wanted a basic Marvel super hero movie without realizing one of the better super hero movies as of late (Logan) didnt follow that formula either.

Venom is the movie that stands on its own by creating a story with elements suited to the character, not checkboxes like others. Its entertaining and feels like it could have lasted longer. I'd rather feel left wanting then feeling like the movie is now requiring me to continue watching it because it's been dragged out too long.

I'd rather watch another Venom movie then any other marvel universe sequel at this point.
399 out of 732 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad writing
Joufi891 December 2018
The storyline is good but it seems like they left big chunks of the script out. Which made the movie feel rushed. After watching it I honestly felt robbed of a good movie.
236 out of 426 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Amazing
brandongooner3 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics they don't know what they are talking about this film was great. Had a fantastic time watching this film lots of action and funny moments. Tom Hardy is perfect as Eddie Brock he did an absolutely great job. Would recommend this film to many people.
383 out of 707 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TOM HARDY STEALS THE SHOW.
karmakerniloy15 December 2018
This is probably the most underrated film I have ever seen. The CGI, graphics everything was perfect, except the final fight's ending. Still its a great story.

Stand ovation to TOM HARDY. He wraps up into perfection. Its a must watch movie.
182 out of 326 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just incredible!!!
phansoki3 October 2018
Really loved it!!!! Ignore the critics and go and see it as soon as possible!!!!
411 out of 765 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film would have been much better if it wasn't for the bad writing.
Top_Dawg_Critic29 November 2018
You would think one of the 5 (why?) writers could have gotten this right. Tom Hardy was amazing, the directing excellent, cinematography on point, V/SFX not bad, but the story was very loose and had plot and pacing issues. Venom's voice was also annoying. You would think the producers would have hired better writers instead of pathetically paying for almost every review on here 9 and above being fake (pretty much only film reviewed). I may have given this film a 7 or 8 out of 10, but only gets a 6 for the fake reviews. For me it could have been much better and deserving of the 9's and 10's had the writing been tighter. Nevertheless, still enjoyable, but sadly only a 6/10 from me, mainly for the fake reviews that piss me off.
193 out of 350 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected!
klaudiazareba3 October 2018
I was impressed by the trailer but the movie was even better. It was humorous, Tom Hardy was an amazing choice for this role. The relationship and interactions between Eddie and Venom made the whole theatre laugh. Don't listen to the negative critics and watch it yourself!
406 out of 762 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comical all round
wozza-7375725 November 2018
Tom hardy doesn't suit the role. The script is awful. Can't believe ppl like it this much is everyone stupid or something !!
62 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go see and make your own opinion
jaypartlan14 October 2018
Enjoyed venom! Don't believe the bad reviews, Tom Hardy is fab as Eddie Brock and the relationship between him and venom is great , I found myself really liking venoms character as well ( apart from the head biting) All in all a fun film worth a watch
217 out of 416 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ho Hum...
daniellawsonrt8 October 2018
Another superhero movie for the unwashed masses. Seriously, what's the point? The zombies will flock to see it, buy the TShirts, and unwittingly finance a sequel, which will be worse than the original but make twice as much money.....
46 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh Dear!
jpolywog-523541 December 2018
I have no idea what Tom Hardy was thinking when he signed up for this movie. I understand that he may have been persuaded by his son who is a fan of 'Venom'..It just goes to prove that you should never listen to your children.

If you enjoy special effects at the expense of good acting and an intelligent plot then this will be right up your street.

When I say that the highlight for me was the brief cameo appearance by the late great Stan Lee then you will get my drift.

I am always intrigued by the reviews which begin...'do not believe all the negative reviews'..this invariably suggests to me that I really should believe all the negative reviews.

Maybe I should start a trend by commencing my review by saying 'do not believe all the positive reviews'..then again I may be accused of contradicting myself. Suffice to say that in my humble opinion this is one turkey of a film. Mind you it is the festive season. ..
62 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.