Venom (2018) Poster

(2018)

2,377 Reviews
Do yourself a favour...ignore the critics!
ufarese3 October 2018
We just came out of the theatre and I can honestly say. I liked it! It was funny and it paid great homage to the Todd McFarlane bombastic Venom era of the late 90's. It truly baffles me that Sony would not take enough risks to release the film with an R rating. I wonder how much of this film was left on the cutting floor!?! Tom Hardy's performance is also on point and...just go see it.
1,532 out of 1,883 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very fun movie
GuanXing3 October 2018
I don't know what's going on with all the negative reviews. People are really hard to please! I went to see that movie without any real expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Tom Hardy does a fantastic job
  • Venom is an interesting and fun character
  • The plot is fairly classic for this type of movie; nothing good or bad about it
  • The special effects are great - I loved the transformation scenes.
Overall, I recommend it if you like the genre, want to have a good time with a dose of laughters and aren't overly hard to please.
1,074 out of 1,316 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible Tom Hardy performance
marvinho-670553 October 2018
It's not your typical Marvel movie, but I loved it! I hope they go for an R rating on the second movie though.
564 out of 751 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED IT!
declan-989153 October 2018
First of all Iv just watched the movie a couple of hours ago and Iv just been reading a few reviews and I must have been watching a different movie to them cause I absolulty loved Venom!

I love the relationship between Eddie and Venom, they proper cracked me up with some of the things they said and the whole room was laughing at loads of moments throughout the movie.

Coming out of this movie makes me want to have a symbiote latch onto me if it's anything like the film. I loved the movie from end to finish, it was a hilarious, fun filled action ride!

My only critic is I would have liked the finale to go on for a little longer but other than that I thought it was brilliant, I deffo reccomend everyone go see it.

DONT Listen to other people's reviews, go watch it for yourself then decide if u liked it or not, I loved it!
649 out of 868 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the critics.
Chuckles0103 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics whom are desperately trying to remain relevant in a time where the opinion of the audience truly matters.

The movie is geniunely good. What it isn't is fantastic however.

-buildup. The intro of the movie was fine. Nothing spectacular but certainly progressed the story into the right direction. Though it did linger on for a tad bit too long.

-The plot while amusing, is definitely lacking and drops the ball at least at a certain point, which i cant really dive into here due to spoilers. This certainly is the biggest problem with the movie.

-CGI. Not great but certainly far from bad!

-Venom. The symbiote is awesome and i loved the bonding with Tom Hardy's character which truly moved the movie forward. Definitely the strongest point within the movie and was eager for more!

-Overall. Ignore the damn paid critics. They are a dying breed and shouldve been put out of their misery years ago. This movie is entertaining. While i was dissapointed with the lack of a true dark tone, it wasnt all pure comedy either. it was a decent balance.

Check this movie out for yourself and vote accordingly. This movie deserves that at the least.

1,059 out of 1,489 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good intro for Venom, but now I want more!
krazy-mm3 October 2018
Had a test screening tonight in cinema I work at, and couldn't wait to watch my all-time favorite Marvel (anti) hero on big screen. Tom Hardy is great as always, that guy really can act. Can't think of anyone else who would be a better choice for the role but him. Introduction was really long, but I was not bored for a second. When Venom comes in his true form - the party starts! Wish few action scenes were less like Michael Bay's style (hardly see anything) but the inner child in me was really happy for Venom's maniacal kicking and punching around. Venom's character is really well made visually - his walking, jumping and smashing are just like in the comic books - thumbs up for that!

Hope they will release R rated version on BluRay so we can see more of Venom's craziness. Tom Hardy allegedly said best parts are cut out to make the movie more age appropriate, and I think that's a shame. Anyway, I will watch this movie once more in cinema, and buy it on BluRay. After all, it's Venom!

Go and see it on big screen - hope you won't be disappointed!

Oh, and there are TWO mid-credit scenes - one we all are waiting for and another one that...just go and see it for yourself!
399 out of 550 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom is my spirit villain/anti hero/everyday average person!
gurlkic_ass23 October 2018
Idk about you but I am not a big super hero/villain fan but because my love ones are Marvel/DC and Tom Hardy fans, I went ahead to watch it with them. Boy I enjoyed every second of this film. Tom Hardy is not only funny but I can relate to him and his symbiote (not his parasite, never call him that) Venom! I love them both. Tom always plays serious and intimidating characters but in this movie, he is funny as hell especially his interactions with Venom. Now I am a certified Tom Hardy fan. There is no actor out there who can better portray this role. He was born for this role. The movie was a joy to watch, I got sad it finished too soon for me. I tend to ignore critics' reviews coz MY review matters most to me. I definitely will get the digital copy of this movie so I can watch it over and over whenever and wherever I want to watch. So for the ones who haven't watched it yet, better watch it now!
52 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go see and make your own opinion
jaypartlan14 October 2018
Enjoyed venom! Don't believe the bad reviews, Tom Hardy is fab as Eddie Brock and the relationship between him and venom is great , I found myself really liking venoms character as well ( apart from the head biting) All in all a fun film worth a watch
78 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the stupid critics! Great movie!!
xdonya_persianx3 October 2018
Just got back and to be honest I thought because of the critics that the movie would be a mess, but I reallyyyy enjoyed it!! Tom hardy did a great job as always and Venoms character was amazing! Loved the jokes and the relation between those 2. I think everyone should go see this movie with an open mind and not thinking about the bad critics, people always just want to complain about everything, specially when it's hyped. Conclusion: GREAT MOVIE, GREAT ACTING, IGNORE THE CRITICS
305 out of 439 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom is a great film that doesn't need to depend on the MCU or Spider-Man for its storytelling
firefox-680284 October 2018
Just to start I want to say my favourite super hero/ villain is venom so I may seem a bit biased but I tried to keep a level head going in and not let the fanboy out.

My honest feelings were that the film is exactly what it needed to be. Thank god they didn't pull and amazing Spider-Man 2 and tried to set up a wider universe. Yes there is space too but I believe this film can stand as a stand alone movie.

The opening to the point of Eddies first contact to me was really poor in the acting department and the story seemed very messy here however as soon as that symbiote hits it's full steam ahead!

Tom hardy has always been an actor that I can really rely on in movies and after seeing legend, (an excellent film which I highly recommend) I had no doubt about his ability to form the two identities of Eddie and venom.

The romance sub plot surprised me and I thought it was handled in a way rarely seen in superhero movies so well done on that.

A big point of content was the jokes. Yes the "turd in the wind" line is a bit cringy but I think a huge amount of the jokes do hit home. For people who have seen the film a certain joke regarding an elevator that was short and sweet and had me genuinely laughing at it.

Time to talk about venom himself! CGI on him is how I wanted venom to look in a live action version, that slimy, toothy, grinning look that looks like something straight from the comics.

This film will definitely not be for those that aren't really into comics and I think this film may hit a special place in some fans hearts like me. At the end of the day I say go see the movie and see if you feel the same way.

Something that I found really helped me was I went in not thinking of the MCU at large and Spider-Man at all and only when I was 1 hour in did I think "I haven't thought about Spider-Man once!"

To me venom is a surprisingly good film with some great action, visuals and comedy that occasionally stumbles, especially the clunky opening 30 minutes
365 out of 531 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When you're tired of the Marvel formula!
dhdregun9 October 2018
Venom isn't a Marvel movie, for that it succeeds far more than if it had been. If you're getting tired of the Marvel formula then Venom is going to be a breath of fresh symbiotic air.

Venom occupies it's own universe, it's dark, gritty and more grown up compared to its counterparts. The existence of Eddie's personal life feels real, his struggles are far more relatable than any other character portrayed in a comic book movie so far. He is an everyday guy who screws up and because of that his need to redeem himself gets him attached to a symbiote. After that hes just trying to stay alive until the very end when the truth of his circumstance means he is the only one who can prevent humanities destruction. The movie didnt lead up to this, it wasnt even known what was to come until the last 20 minutes of the movie.

This is a marriage of two separate movies and it's done very well. You remove Venom and the movie feels like it could stand on it's own with a few key changes. The Venom portion hits all the notes required for a superhero movie.

You actually care about Eddy and it's not because they give some sappy back story about loss or self reflection. You care because you can actually relate with what happens to him and how you may have reacted in the same scenario. He wasnt rich, a god or born with powers, didnt live with super advanced technology or volunteer for an experiment. Hes just a guy with a 9-5 in a regular relationship and living in the same world where shake downs and homelessness exist.

The critics wanted a different movie then what they got. They wanted a basic Marvel super hero movie without realizing one of the better super hero movies as of late (Logan) didnt follow that formula either.

Venom is the movie that stands on its own by creating a story with elements suited to the character, not checkboxes like others. Its entertaining and feels like it could have lasted longer. I'd rather feel left wanting then feeling like the movie is now requiring me to continue watching it because it's been dragged out too long.

I'd rather watch another Venom movie then any other marvel universe sequel at this point.
195 out of 280 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom in my experience
mvinogradsky17 October 2018
This was a great movie in my experience. I didn't know what to expect when I walked in the theater and sat down. I never seen any shows or movies with Venom or know much about what I was going to see. But as the movie went along it quickly grabbed my attention. I loved how the plot was set up and there wasn't any time during the movie that lost the audience attention which is very important when making a film. The movie consisted of different camera angels such as bird eye view, close up, mid range, etc. which is key when showing action scenes and car chasing scenes. Eddie the main character in the movie is a casual regular guy that didn't have a lot going on (when he became Venom) which I think is pretty cool because most super hero movies the hero is usually a popular guy or someone wealthy. But In this film Eddie an ordinary guy which captivated the audience more in my opinion because people can relate more to it. I highly recommend this movie to someone who hasn't seen it unless you don't like action movies or a Nun.

Michael Vinogradsky
34 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not perfect, but not as terrible as some make it out to be.
pulpfamous3 October 2018
I don't really get critics; the movie is just fine.

Yes, it should've been Rated R!

Yes, some of the dialogue/story is clunky and there's some plot holes and missing info.

Also, not crazy about "Anne", and the way the female characters are written in general.

The CGI and action do have their lows that'll make your head spin, but Venom looks like Venom and in a great way.

But, Tom Hardy acts his little heart out ( and so does Riz Ahmed) and the movie, while not perfect, is fun.

P.s. The mid credit scene gives one hope!
361 out of 542 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
bzoom09 October 2018
I honestly don't get the critics, the score does not coincide with the experience that Venom offers us. Is it a strategy to draw more attention to it? Who knows! But I am for sure that's the truth... I've seen worse movies who had at least 50 points from them. Still, it's not the best Marvel movie out there, with Black Panther being the best and probably the greatest surprise that MCU has ever given to us, but it was enjoyable and I was really impressed with the portrayal of Venom, considering the story in the comic books. SPOILER ALERT: there's a lot of schizophrenia in this one :))
102 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing? Yes. Perfect? No.
manbro-8615424 October 2018
Hardy and Venom's chemistry is absolutely the best part of the movie. I don't get why the critics hate it so much. Sure there are some boring parts but what movie doesn't have those? Do yourself a favor and go see it! I want a sequel and make sure you stay for the end credits
23 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Badass
FlickChick8212 October 2018
Tom Hardy rocks! I've been admiring his talent for many years and with this film he has confirmed how versatile of an actor he is. The story is compelling, helped by his incredible performance, moreover, combining it with humour, brings that extra touch. One thing's for sure, you don't want to find yourself on Venom's list. All in all, this movie guarantees a good time at the cinema.
32 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please ignore the critics
joshkroitor16 October 2018
You really shouldn't listen to the critics. My friends and I agree that this is one of the best Marvel movies out. There is so much dark comedy and it made us all laugh our heads off. If I was in control of setting the IMDb rating, it would be an 8.9
44 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Amazing
brandongooner3 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics they don't know what they are talking about this film was great. Had a fantastic time watching this film lots of action and funny moments. Tom Hardy is perfect as Eddie Brock he did an absolutely great job. Would recommend this film to many people.
229 out of 347 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Omg incredible film, ignore the bad reviews critics give this film.
josephmonaghan-3414524 October 2018
I personally think this is Tom Hardys finest next to The Revenant, best dialogue and performances ever I hope they make a sequel with Carnage ASAP because venom is not complete without the other which is Carnage but nonetheless great acting and good special, visual and motion capture effects especially to HARDY.
29 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Origin Movie of Anti-hero from Spider-man Universe
michael_sujantono4 October 2018
Movie was slow in the first half hour and only became exciting after Eddie and Venom became one. Special effects were quite awesome, some of the fight scenes (chasing sequence and climax fight scenes) were amazing. The interaction between Eddie and Venom were quite funny at times.

I also felt the movie was too short, having less than 2 hours duration which include the long end credit scenes. Btw, it has 1 mid end credit scene which I think could only be appreciated by the fans of the comic books and 1 post end credit scene. So be sure not too leave your seats too soon.

The sound effects with Dolby Atmos was awesome and it is also specialized for IMAX theaters. Overall it was quite fun and entertaining movie. Oh and this movie is in Spider-man own universe but NOT Marvel Cinematic Universe, so you need to manage your expectations.

For my complete review, please have a look at michaelnontonmulu.blogspot.co.id
262 out of 403 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie, but read this warning
fierce22118 October 2018
I don't have much to say about the movie itself other than it was great. My entire group of 8 people thoroughly loved the movie, some even spouting that it was the best movie they'd seen in a few years. Now, here's the warning: you know how Marvel movies always have a clip after the credits?? Do NOT stay to watch the clip after credits. It is an ADVERTISEMENT for that terrible cartoon Spiderman that you'll likely see in the trailers. My group sat through 10+ minutes of credits to see what was after them, and we were lividly disappointed. It has nothing to do with Venom and it left us all genuinely angry. Please don't sit through the whole long list of credits only to disappoint yourselves. We all left the theater angry and ranting about it.
30 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as the critics said.
mahardikaitokid3 October 2018
This movie is good,i like it a lot actually. A unique combination of Horror,Action and Sci-Fi Movie (Yes,A little Horror Touching..Something you rarely seen at Marvel Comic Based Movie.). It was fun, thrilling, and enjoyable movie. But yep,There's some weakness at the plot. There's no further explanation for what happen after to the rest of simbiotes after the lab tragedy, And it didn't explore Riot clearly. But Overall,Its A good one movie.👏
305 out of 475 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Omg!!! Loved Loved Loved it!!
michellelm-6543020 October 2018
I normally would never see a movie like this but A Star Is Born was sold out and I picked this movie and i was absolutely surprised how much i loved it!!!!!! I never heard of Tom Hardy before but now i have a new crush!! He was fabulous and the movie was funny, sad, it had love, loss, etc.. Loved it!!!!!!!!
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chapter 2, please!
Sea-Breeze-Rae15 October 2018
Wonderful action movie. Tom Hardy is one of my favorite actors and he has come through again. His dialogue and action with the "parasite" is outstanding. There is humor, carnage, and even a love story. Honestly, ignore the critics and go see it. Its a movie for all genders. I can't wait to see the sequel!
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just incredible!!!
phansoki3 October 2018
Really loved it!!!! Ignore the critics and go and see it as soon as possible!!!!
288 out of 460 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.