Venom (2018) Poster

(2018)

2,170 Reviews
Do yourself a favour...ignore the critics!
ufarese3 October 2018
We just came out of the theatre and I can honestly say. I liked it! It was funny and it paid great homage to the Todd McFarlane bombastic Venom era of the late 90's. It truly baffles me that Sony would not take enough risks to release the film with an R rating. I wonder how much of this film was left on the cutting floor!?! Tom Hardy's performance is also on point and...just go see it.
1,366 out of 1,676 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very fun movie
GuanXing3 October 2018
I don't know what's going on with all the negative reviews. People are really hard to please! I went to see that movie without any real expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Tom Hardy does a fantastic job
  • Venom is an interesting and fun character
  • The plot is fairly classic for this type of movie; nothing good or bad about it
  • The special effects are great - I loved the transformation scenes.
Overall, I recommend it if you like the genre, want to have a good time with a dose of laughters and aren't overly hard to please.
945 out of 1,161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible Tom Hardy performance
marvinho-670553 October 2018
It's not your typical Marvel movie, but I loved it! I hope they go for an R rating on the second movie though.
507 out of 665 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED IT!
declan-989153 October 2018
First of all Iv just watched the movie a couple of hours ago and Iv just been reading a few reviews and I must have been watching a different movie to them cause I absolulty loved Venom!

I love the relationship between Eddie and Venom, they proper cracked me up with some of the things they said and the whole room was laughing at loads of moments throughout the movie.

Coming out of this movie makes me want to have a symbiote latch onto me if it's anything like the film. I loved the movie from end to finish, it was a hilarious, fun filled action ride!

My only critic is I would have liked the finale to go on for a little longer but other than that I thought it was brilliant, I deffo reccomend everyone go see it.

DONT Listen to other people's reviews, go watch it for yourself then decide if u liked it or not, I loved it!
577 out of 777 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good intro for Venom, but now I want more!
krazy-mm3 October 2018
Had a test screening tonight in cinema I work at, and couldn't wait to watch my all-time favorite Marvel (anti) hero on big screen. Tom Hardy is great as always, that guy really can act. Can't think of anyone else who would be a better choice for the role but him. Introduction was really long, but I was not bored for a second. When Venom comes in his true form - the party starts! Wish few action scenes were less like Michael Bay's style (hardly see anything) but the inner child in me was really happy for Venom's maniacal kicking and punching around. Venom's character is really well made visually - his walking, jumping and smashing are just like in the comic books - thumbs up for that!

Hope they will release R rated version on BluRay so we can see more of Venom's craziness. Tom Hardy allegedly said best parts are cut out to make the movie more age appropriate, and I think that's a shame. Anyway, I will watch this movie once more in cinema, and buy it on BluRay. After all, it's Venom!

Go and see it on big screen - hope you won't be disappointed!

Oh, and there are TWO mid-credit scenes - one we all are waiting for and another one that...just go and see it for yourself!
354 out of 478 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the critics.
Chuckles0103 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics whom are desperately trying to remain relevant in a time where the opinion of the audience truly matters.

The movie is geniunely good. What it isn't is fantastic however.

-buildup. The intro of the movie was fine. Nothing spectacular but certainly progressed the story into the right direction. Though it did linger on for a tad bit too long.

-The plot while amusing, is definitely lacking and drops the ball at least at a certain point, which i cant really dive into here due to spoilers. This certainly is the biggest problem with the movie.

-CGI. Not great but certainly far from bad!

-Venom. The symbiote is awesome and i loved the bonding with Tom Hardy's character which truly moved the movie forward. Definitely the strongest point within the movie and was eager for more!

-Overall. Ignore the damn paid critics. They are a dying breed and shouldve been put out of their misery years ago. This movie is entertaining. While i was dissapointed with the lack of a true dark tone, it wasnt all pure comedy either. it was a decent balance.

Check this movie out for yourself and vote accordingly. This movie deserves that at the least.

998 out of 1,402 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When you're tired of the Marvel formula!
dhdregun9 October 2018
Venom isn't a Marvel movie, for that it succeeds far more than if it had been. If you're getting tired of the Marvel formula then Venom is going to be a breath of fresh symbiotic air.

Venom occupies it's own universe, it's dark, gritty and more grown up compared to its counterparts. The existence of Eddie's personal life feels real, his struggles are far more relatable than any other character portrayed in a comic book movie so far. He is an everyday guy who screws up and because of that his need to redeem himself gets him attached to a symbiote. After that hes just trying to stay alive until the very end when the truth of his circumstance means he is the only one who can prevent humanities destruction. The movie didnt lead up to this, it wasnt even known what was to come until the last 20 minutes of the movie.

This is a marriage of two separate movies and it's done very well. You remove Venom and the movie feels like it could stand on it's own with a few key changes. The Venom portion hits all the notes required for a superhero movie.

You actually care about Eddy and it's not because they give some sappy back story about loss or self reflection. You care because you can actually relate with what happens to him and how you may have reacted in the same scenario. He wasnt rich, a god or born with powers, didnt live with super advanced technology or volunteer for an experiment. Hes just a guy with a 9-5 in a regular relationship and living in the same world where shake downs and homelessness exist.

The critics wanted a different movie then what they got. They wanted a basic Marvel super hero movie without realizing one of the better super hero movies as of late (Logan) didnt follow that formula either.

Venom is the movie that stands on its own by creating a story with elements suited to the character, not checkboxes like others. Its entertaining and feels like it could have lasted longer. I'd rather feel left wanting then feeling like the movie is now requiring me to continue watching it because it's been dragged out too long.

I'd rather watch another Venom movie then any other marvel universe sequel at this point.
157 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom is a great film that doesn't need to depend on the MCU or Spider-Man for its storytelling
firefox-680284 October 2018
Just to start I want to say my favourite super hero/ villain is venom so I may seem a bit biased but I tried to keep a level head going in and not let the fanboy out.

My honest feelings were that the film is exactly what it needed to be. Thank god they didn't pull and amazing Spider-Man 2 and tried to set up a wider universe. Yes there is space too but I believe this film can stand as a stand alone movie.

The opening to the point of Eddies first contact to me was really poor in the acting department and the story seemed very messy here however as soon as that symbiote hits it's full steam ahead!

Tom hardy has always been an actor that I can really rely on in movies and after seeing legend, (an excellent film which I highly recommend) I had no doubt about his ability to form the two identities of Eddie and venom.

The romance sub plot surprised me and I thought it was handled in a way rarely seen in superhero movies so well done on that.

A big point of content was the jokes. Yes the "turd in the wind" line is a bit cringy but I think a huge amount of the jokes do hit home. For people who have seen the film a certain joke regarding an elevator that was short and sweet and had me genuinely laughing at it.

Time to talk about venom himself! CGI on him is how I wanted venom to look in a live action version, that slimy, toothy, grinning look that looks like something straight from the comics.

This film will definitely not be for those that aren't really into comics and I think this film may hit a special place in some fans hearts like me. At the end of the day I say go see the movie and see if you feel the same way.

Something that I found really helped me was I went in not thinking of the MCU at large and Spider-Man at all and only when I was 1 hour in did I think "I haven't thought about Spider-Man once!"

To me venom is a surprisingly good film with some great action, visuals and comedy that occasionally stumbles, especially the clunky opening 30 minutes
345 out of 490 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the stupid critics! Great movie!!
xdonya_persianx3 October 2018
Just got back and to be honest I thought because of the critics that the movie would be a mess, but I reallyyyy enjoyed it!! Tom hardy did a great job as always and Venoms character was amazing! Loved the jokes and the relation between those 2. I think everyone should go see this movie with an open mind and not thinking about the bad critics, people always just want to complain about everything, specially when it's hyped. Conclusion: GREAT MOVIE, GREAT ACTING, IGNORE THE CRITICS
259 out of 374 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not perfect, but not as terrible as some make it out to be.
pulpfamous3 October 2018
I don't really get critics; the movie is just fine.

Yes, it should've been Rated R!

Yes, some of the dialogue/story is clunky and there's some plot holes and missing info.

Also, not crazy about "Anne", and the way the female characters are written in general.

The CGI and action do have their lows that'll make your head spin, but Venom looks like Venom and in a great way.

But, Tom Hardy acts his little heart out ( and so does Riz Ahmed) and the movie, while not perfect, is fun.

P.s. The mid credit scene gives one hope!
336 out of 494 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Origin Movie of Anti-hero from Spider-man Universe
michael_sujantono4 October 2018
Movie was slow in the first half hour and only became exciting after Eddie and Venom became one. Special effects were quite awesome, some of the fight scenes (chasing sequence and climax fight scenes) were amazing. The interaction between Eddie and Venom were quite funny at times.

I also felt the movie was too short, having less than 2 hours duration which include the long end credit scenes. Btw, it has 1 mid end credit scene which I think could only be appreciated by the fans of the comic books and 1 post end credit scene. So be sure not too leave your seats too soon.

The sound effects with Dolby Atmos was awesome and it is also specialized for IMAX theaters. Overall it was quite fun and entertaining movie. Oh and this movie is in Spider-man own universe but NOT Marvel Cinematic Universe, so you need to manage your expectations.

For my complete review, please have a look at michaelnontonmulu.blogspot.co.id
252 out of 375 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as the critics said.
mahardikaitokid3 October 2018
This movie is good,i like it a lot actually. A unique combination of Horror,Action and Sci-Fi Movie (Yes,A little Horror Touching..Something you rarely seen at Marvel Comic Based Movie.). It was fun, thrilling, and enjoyable movie. But yep,There's some weakness at the plot. There's no further explanation for what happen after to the rest of simbiotes after the lab tragedy, And it didn't explore Riot clearly. But Overall,Its A good one movie.👏
294 out of 445 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Amazing
brandongooner3 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics they don't know what they are talking about this film was great. Had a fantastic time watching this film lots of action and funny moments. Tom Hardy is perfect as Eddie Brock he did an absolutely great job. Would recommend this film to many people.
211 out of 324 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go see and make your own opinion
jaypartlan14 October 2018
Enjoyed venom! Don't believe the bad reviews, Tom Hardy is fab as Eddie Brock and the relationship between him and venom is great , I found myself really liking venoms character as well ( apart from the head biting) All in all a fun film worth a watch
36 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
bzoom09 October 2018
I honestly don't get the critics, the score does not coincide with the experience that Venom offers us. Is it a strategy to draw more attention to it? Who knows! But I am for sure that's the truth... I've seen worse movies who had at least 50 points from them. Still, it's not the best Marvel movie out there, with Black Panther being the best and probably the greatest surprise that MCU has ever given to us, but it was enjoyable and I was really impressed with the portrayal of Venom, considering the story in the comic books. SPOILER ALERT: there's a lot of schizophrenia in this one :))
82 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please ignore the critics
joshkroitor16 October 2018
You really shouldn't listen to the critics. My friends and I agree that this is one of the best Marvel movies out. There is so much dark comedy and it made us all laugh our heads off. If I was in control of setting the IMDb rating, it would be an 8.9
14 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't know why they rate it so low!
elviraolidinchuk17 October 2018
I can't understand why the critics are rating it so low. It had the same plot, as all the other alien movies have. They come, invade the earth, want to take over the world. Kill all human kind. The acting, picture, sound! All that exceeded my expectations! I loved it! My opinion!
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just incredible!!!
phansoki3 October 2018
Really loved it!!!! Ignore the critics and go and see it as soon as possible!!!!
270 out of 436 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie, but read this warning
fierce22118 October 2018
I don't have much to say about the movie itself other than it was great. My entire group of 8 people thoroughly loved the movie, some even spouting that it was the best movie they'd seen in a few years. Now, here's the warning: you know how Marvel movies always have a clip after the credits?? Do NOT stay to watch the clip after credits. It is an ADVERTISEMENT for that terrible cartoon Spiderman that you'll likely see in the trailers. My group sat through 10+ minutes of credits to see what was after them, and we were lividly disappointed. It has nothing to do with Venom and it left us all genuinely angry. Please don't sit through the whole long list of credits only to disappoint yourselves. We all left the theater angry and ranting about it.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom in my experience
mvinogradsky17 October 2018
This was a great movie in my experience. I didn't know what to expect when I walked in the theater and sat down. I never seen any shows or movies with Venom or know much about what I was going to see. But as the movie went along it quickly grabbed my attention. I loved how the plot was set up and there wasn't any time during the movie that lost the audience attention which is very important when making a film. The movie consisted of different camera angels such as bird eye view, close up, mid range, etc. which is key when showing action scenes and car chasing scenes. Eddie the main character in the movie is a casual regular guy that didn't have a lot going on (when he became Venom) which I think is pretty cool because most super hero movies the hero is usually a popular guy or someone wealthy. But In this film Eddie an ordinary guy which captivated the audience more in my opinion because people can relate more to it. I highly recommend this movie to someone who hasn't seen it unless you don't like action movies or a Nun.

Michael Vinogradsky
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected!
klaudiazareba3 October 2018
I was impressed by the trailer but the movie was even better. It was humorous, Tom Hardy was an amazing choice for this role. The relationship and interactions between Eddie and Venom made the whole theatre laugh. Don't listen to the negative critics and watch it yourself!
295 out of 496 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprised by how much I liked it
pinkled55 October 2018
I'm a self-proclaimed movie snob so, based on the reviews I'd read, I fully expected to be disappointed by this film. But my son really wanted to see it, so we went and, wow, I ended up really enjoying it!

Yes, there is some awkward dialogue and the villain is underwhelming, however, I liked the other elements so much that those issues really didn't bother me.

First off, Eddie Brock is super likable and relatable. Tom Hardy, who I've never been a fan of, knocked it out of the park with his performance of this character. I really felt for Eddie and was drawn into his plight. Though some have complained the beginning of the movie is too slow, Eddie Brock kept my interest the whole time.

Secondly, everything about Venom is super cool. The struggle between Eddie and Venom and their argumentative banter made for both some delightful conflict and laugh-out-loud comedy. Yes, there were a few lines that were duds and made me roll my eyes, but overall I thought it was fantastic.

Finally, the mix of action, horror, and comedy was done almost perfectly, in my opinion. This was a concern of mine, based on the reviews, but the flim makers pulled it off well.

All in all, we left the theater excited and thrilled and can't wait to see Venom on the big screen again. Kudos to Sony and BOOOO to the critics!
100 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sequel
koenhouben3 October 2018
Great movie! Not overdone. Actors are great. This is Venom like i imagined him to be: consuming:) Can't wait for Carnage!
162 out of 268 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An original story with raw fun and action
angryskullshow21 October 2018
Don't be fooled by the reviews, this movie isn't bad at all, it's just that the critics are either bots or taking the movie WAYY too seriously, Tom hardy made an excellent job with the preformance, he portrays Venom and Eddie brock better than he should, the story felt fresh, and that it took a character who was exetremely reliant on Spider-Man and turned him into his own thing and it clearly shows that Venom don't need no Spider-Man.

Go see this movie it's a blast, I can't wait for Venom 2
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is one of the most enjoyable films I have seen in a while
aidanlasseter7 October 2018
This is one of my favorite movies I've seen in a while, it's really, really funny, the fight scenes are super cool, and Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams are amazing, there are a few problems but nothing that will ruin the movie. Don't believe the Rotten Tomatoes review, as by their standards Wonder Woman (aka the first Captain America in a dress) and Black Panther are the two best super hero movies. Just go out and enjoy it.
23 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.