Venom (2018) Poster

(2018)

2,766 Reviews
Do yourself a favour...ignore the critics!
ufarese3 October 2018
We just came out of the theatre and I can honestly say. I liked it! It was funny and it paid great homage to the Todd McFarlane bombastic Venom era of the late 90's. It truly baffles me that Sony would not take enough risks to release the film with an R rating. I wonder how much of this film was left on the cutting floor!?! Tom Hardy's performance is also on point and...just go see it.
1,774 out of 2,273 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very fun movie
GuanXing3 October 2018
I don't know what's going on with all the negative reviews. People are really hard to please! I went to see that movie without any real expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Tom Hardy does a fantastic job
  • Venom is an interesting and fun character
  • The plot is fairly classic for this type of movie; nothing good or bad about it
  • The special effects are great - I loved the transformation scenes.
Overall, I recommend it if you like the genre, want to have a good time with a dose of laughters and aren't overly hard to please.
1,283 out of 1,646 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LOVED IT!
declan-989153 October 2018
First of all Iv just watched the movie a couple of hours ago and Iv just been reading a few reviews and I must have been watching a different movie to them cause I absolulty loved Venom!

I love the relationship between Eddie and Venom, they proper cracked me up with some of the things they said and the whole room was laughing at loads of moments throughout the movie.

Coming out of this movie makes me want to have a symbiote latch onto me if it's anything like the film. I loved the movie from end to finish, it was a hilarious, fun filled action ride!

My only critic is I would have liked the finale to go on for a little longer but other than that I thought it was brilliant, I deffo reccomend everyone go see it.

DONT Listen to other people's reviews, go watch it for yourself then decide if u liked it or not, I loved it!
799 out of 1,138 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible Tom Hardy performance
marvinho-670553 October 2018
It's not your typical Marvel movie, but I loved it! I hope they go for an R rating on the second movie though.
642 out of 919 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the critics.
Chuckles0103 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics whom are desperately trying to remain relevant in a time where the opinion of the audience truly matters.

The movie is geniunely good. What it isn't is fantastic however.

-buildup. The intro of the movie was fine. Nothing spectacular but certainly progressed the story into the right direction. Though it did linger on for a tad bit too long.

-The plot while amusing, is definitely lacking and drops the ball at least at a certain point, which i cant really dive into here due to spoilers. This certainly is the biggest problem with the movie.

-CGI. Not great but certainly far from bad!

-Venom. The symbiote is awesome and i loved the bonding with Tom Hardy's character which truly moved the movie forward. Definitely the strongest point within the movie and was eager for more!

-Overall. Ignore the damn paid critics. They are a dying breed and shouldve been put out of their misery years ago. This movie is entertaining. While i was dissapointed with the lack of a true dark tone, it wasnt all pure comedy either. it was a decent balance.

Check this movie out for yourself and vote accordingly. This movie deserves that at the least.

1,192 out of 1,760 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good intro for Venom, but now I want more!
krazy-mm3 October 2018
Had a test screening tonight in cinema I work at, and couldn't wait to watch my all-time favorite Marvel (anti) hero on big screen. Tom Hardy is great as always, that guy really can act. Can't think of anyone else who would be a better choice for the role but him. Introduction was really long, but I was not bored for a second. When Venom comes in his true form - the party starts! Wish few action scenes were less like Michael Bay's style (hardly see anything) but the inner child in me was really happy for Venom's maniacal kicking and punching around. Venom's character is really well made visually - his walking, jumping and smashing are just like in the comic books - thumbs up for that!

Hope they will release R rated version on BluRay so we can see more of Venom's craziness. Tom Hardy allegedly said best parts are cut out to make the movie more age appropriate, and I think that's a shame. Anyway, I will watch this movie once more in cinema, and buy it on BluRay. After all, it's Venom!

Go and see it on big screen - hope you won't be disappointed!

Oh, and there are TWO mid-credit scenes - one we all are waiting for and another one that...just go and see it for yourself!
475 out of 718 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not perfect, but not as terrible as some make it out to be.
pulpfamous3 October 2018
I don't really get critics; the movie is just fine.

Yes, it should've been Rated R!

Yes, some of the dialogue/story is clunky and there's some plot holes and missing info.

Also, not crazy about "Anne", and the way the female characters are written in general.

The CGI and action do have their lows that'll make your head spin, but Venom looks like Venom and in a great way.

But, Tom Hardy acts his little heart out ( and so does Riz Ahmed) and the movie, while not perfect, is fun.

P.s. The mid credit scene gives one hope!
423 out of 668 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Venom is a great film that doesn't need to depend on the MCU or Spider-Man for its storytelling
firefox-680284 October 2018
Just to start I want to say my favourite super hero/ villain is venom so I may seem a bit biased but I tried to keep a level head going in and not let the fanboy out.

My honest feelings were that the film is exactly what it needed to be. Thank god they didn't pull and amazing Spider-Man 2 and tried to set up a wider universe. Yes there is space too but I believe this film can stand as a stand alone movie.

The opening to the point of Eddies first contact to me was really poor in the acting department and the story seemed very messy here however as soon as that symbiote hits it's full steam ahead!

Tom hardy has always been an actor that I can really rely on in movies and after seeing legend, (an excellent film which I highly recommend) I had no doubt about his ability to form the two identities of Eddie and venom.

The romance sub plot surprised me and I thought it was handled in a way rarely seen in superhero movies so well done on that.

A big point of content was the jokes. Yes the "turd in the wind" line is a bit cringy but I think a huge amount of the jokes do hit home. For people who have seen the film a certain joke regarding an elevator that was short and sweet and had me genuinely laughing at it.

Time to talk about venom himself! CGI on him is how I wanted venom to look in a live action version, that slimy, toothy, grinning look that looks like something straight from the comics.

This film will definitely not be for those that aren't really into comics and I think this film may hit a special place in some fans hearts like me. At the end of the day I say go see the movie and see if you feel the same way.

Something that I found really helped me was I went in not thinking of the MCU at large and Spider-Man at all and only when I was 1 hour in did I think "I haven't thought about Spider-Man once!"

To me venom is a surprisingly good film with some great action, visuals and comedy that occasionally stumbles, especially the clunky opening 30 minutes
428 out of 690 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the stupid critics! Great movie!!
xdonya_persianx3 October 2018
Just got back and to be honest I thought because of the critics that the movie would be a mess, but I reallyyyy enjoyed it!! Tom hardy did a great job as always and Venoms character was amazing! Loved the jokes and the relation between those 2. I think everyone should go see this movie with an open mind and not thinking about the bad critics, people always just want to complain about everything, specially when it's hyped. Conclusion: GREAT MOVIE, GREAT ACTING, IGNORE THE CRITICS
412 out of 672 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When you're tired of the Marvel formula!
dhdregun9 October 2018
Venom isn't a Marvel movie, for that it succeeds far more than if it had been. If you're getting tired of the Marvel formula then Venom is going to be a breath of fresh symbiotic air.

Venom occupies it's own universe, it's dark, gritty and more grown up compared to its counterparts. The existence of Eddie's personal life feels real, his struggles are far more relatable than any other character portrayed in a comic book movie so far. He is an everyday guy who screws up and because of that his need to redeem himself gets him attached to a symbiote. After that hes just trying to stay alive until the very end when the truth of his circumstance means he is the only one who can prevent humanities destruction. The movie didnt lead up to this, it wasnt even known what was to come until the last 20 minutes of the movie.

This is a marriage of two separate movies and it's done very well. You remove Venom and the movie feels like it could stand on it's own with a few key changes. The Venom portion hits all the notes required for a superhero movie.

You actually care about Eddy and it's not because they give some sappy back story about loss or self reflection. You care because you can actually relate with what happens to him and how you may have reacted in the same scenario. He wasnt rich, a god or born with powers, didnt live with super advanced technology or volunteer for an experiment. Hes just a guy with a 9-5 in a regular relationship and living in the same world where shake downs and homelessness exist.

The critics wanted a different movie then what they got. They wanted a basic Marvel super hero movie without realizing one of the better super hero movies as of late (Logan) didnt follow that formula either.

Venom is the movie that stands on its own by creating a story with elements suited to the character, not checkboxes like others. Its entertaining and feels like it could have lasted longer. I'd rather feel left wanting then feeling like the movie is now requiring me to continue watching it because it's been dragged out too long.

I'd rather watch another Venom movie then any other marvel universe sequel at this point.
274 out of 457 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Amazing
brandongooner3 October 2018
Don't listen to the critics they don't know what they are talking about this film was great. Had a fantastic time watching this film lots of action and funny moments. Tom Hardy is perfect as Eddie Brock he did an absolutely great job. Would recommend this film to many people.
290 out of 500 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as the critics said.
mahardikaitokid3 October 2018
This movie is good,i like it a lot actually. A unique combination of Horror,Action and Sci-Fi Movie (Yes,A little Horror Touching..Something you rarely seen at Marvel Comic Based Movie.). It was fun, thrilling, and enjoyable movie. But yep,There's some weakness at the plot. There's no further explanation for what happen after to the rest of simbiotes after the lab tragedy, And it didn't explore Riot clearly. But Overall,Its A good one movie.👏
324 out of 565 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Origin Movie of Anti-hero from Spider-man Universe
michael_sujantono4 October 2018
Movie was slow in the first half hour and only became exciting after Eddie and Venom became one. Special effects were quite awesome, some of the fight scenes (chasing sequence and climax fight scenes) were amazing. The interaction between Eddie and Venom were quite funny at times.

I also felt the movie was too short, having less than 2 hours duration which include the long end credit scenes. Btw, it has 1 mid end credit scene which I think could only be appreciated by the fans of the comic books and 1 post end credit scene. So be sure not too leave your seats too soon.

The sound effects with Dolby Atmos was awesome and it is also specialized for IMAX theaters. Overall it was quite fun and entertaining movie. Oh and this movie is in Spider-man own universe but NOT Marvel Cinematic Universe, so you need to manage your expectations.

For my complete review, please have a look at michaelnontonmulu.blogspot.co.id
282 out of 490 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
just incredible!!!
phansoki3 October 2018
Really loved it!!!! Ignore the critics and go and see it as soon as possible!!!!
326 out of 571 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Go see and make your own opinion
jaypartlan14 October 2018
Enjoyed venom! Don't believe the bad reviews, Tom Hardy is fab as Eddie Brock and the relationship between him and venom is great , I found myself really liking venoms character as well ( apart from the head biting) All in all a fun film worth a watch
143 out of 243 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than expected!
klaudiazareba3 October 2018
I was impressed by the trailer but the movie was even better. It was humorous, Tom Hardy was an amazing choice for this role. The relationship and interactions between Eddie and Venom made the whole theatre laugh. Don't listen to the negative critics and watch it yourself!
346 out of 613 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A parody of venom
jack_eaton11 October 2018
It has some fun moments, but the film should have stayed in the same direction as the initial opening scenes - dark and gritty.

This seemed like a parody of the character. Tom Hardy's interaction with venom was completely cheesy and laughable.

We watched the venom cartoons the night before and they were way less try-hard. I don't know why the film was a 15 when it felt it had been dumbed down beyond belief.

Also, taking away from venom being a complete badass usually (which everyone loves) the film literally has him say he's a loser on his own world and there are millions of symbiotes out there. It really stole the thunder of the character.
88 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tom Hardy's worst movie!
gavinooch2113 October 2018
Well, I guess it was only a matter of time before Tom Hardy did a bad film. I don't really blame him in a sense, he did what he could with his character of Eddie Brock/Venom. I blame the director and the writers for coming up with the worst comic book movie of the year! I was actually really looking forward to this, despite the really bad reviews online, but it just goes to show sometimes the critics do know what they are talking about...
55 out of 88 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This film would have been much better if it wasn't for the bad writing.
TheTopDawg29 November 2018
You would think one of the 5 (why?) writers could have gotten this right. Tom Hardy was amazing, the directing excellent, cinematography on point, V/SFX not bad, but the story was very loose and had plot and pacing issues. Venom's voice was also annoying. You would think the producers would have hired better writers instead of pathetically paying for almost every review on here 9 and above being fake (pretty much only film reviewed). I may have given this film a 7 or 8 out of 10, but only gets a 6 for the fake reviews. For me it could have been much better and deserving of the 9's and 10's had the writing been tighter. Nevertheless, still enjoyable, but sadly only a 6/10 from me, mainly for the fake reviews that piss me off.
68 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumpster fire
ravendeath-715839 October 2018
The only redeemable thing I can say about this movie is They finally nailed Venom's look. as for the actual movie it was creditworthy at best normally I disagree with the critics but this time they where right. The pacing was terrible with most of the action scenes being not only already in the trailers but over before you can actually enjoy them. The dialog was bland boring and downright embarrassing. The back and forth between Eddie and venom was like a neanderthal talking to a 10 year old. While other marvel movies have propelled the genera forward this took it back to the early 2000's. Then theirs the villain, who was one of the least intimidating villains I have ever seen with so little screen time you don't get to even care about him as a character or his motivations. I absolutely wouldn't recommend this snootiness of a movie unless you have insomnia personally I hated this movie but and if this is the future of the Sony's Venom verse then it's already doomed.
62 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad writing
Joufi891 December 2018
The storyline is good but it seems like they left big chunks of the script out. Which made the movie feel rushed. After watching it I honestly felt robbed of a good movie.
44 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sequel
koenhouben3 October 2018
Great movie! Not overdone. Actors are great. This is Venom like i imagined him to be: consuming:) Can't wait for Carnage!
216 out of 386 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lazy and sloppy writing with okay effects
ruleof218727 November 2018
See the movie and you'll know what I'm talking about.. Things didn't flow.. Situations were forced and poorly written.. Rushed movie..
24 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story so safe and predictable it's hardly worth watching.
scotty-279648 December 2018
There's some decent acting, some of the cgi is pretty good and the relationship between Eddie and Venom (Hardy acting with Hardy) has some entertaining moments. There's your three stars. In all other areas this film falls woefully short. In a world where the bar for comic based films is constantly being raised this is a big disappointmen. The storyline manages to be filled with cliché, and be so simple and predictable and yet have huge plot holes. -Charming genius millionaire (conveniently) owns space ships and pharmaceutical company, turns out he's bad. -guy who's down on his luck but still friendly and generous, he's our goody.
  • the 'but no one will belive us' moment.
-building with deadly things in has woeful security, bad thing gets out. -For some reason this private security company are totally allowed to drive their huge 4x4s, chasing dangerously through the city without a single cop in sight (also they bomb a load of sh*t along the way, but no one seems to mind) -some drawn out exposition that repeatedly hits the audience over the head with exactly what is happening and drops some serious hints at how it may be resolved.
  • awww the protagonist.who was bad has changed, he isn't bad!
  • ooohhh millionaire bad guy is still bad!
  • good guy (alien) vs bad guy (alien)
  • good guys win, but for several minutes you think one has died.
-He hasn't died, that would ruin the chances of a (very heavily hinted at) sequel. That's about it. Nothing about it even hints at being risky, inventive or imaginative. From what I've read quite a bit of this film was left on the cutting room floor to bring its rating down from an 18 (R), to widen the audience and leave it open to a Venom / Spidey face of in the future, but unfortunately what is left is something that feels like a rehash of The Incredible Hulk, not the best foundation for a film.

Plot holes:

• The whole symbiotic relationship is a bit muddled, they need the perfect host to live, but also a large test tube will do? Also why do they 'eat' the host if they need them to live?
  • Why does Riot want Venom to return with him?
  • The simbiotes plan to return to their planet and bring back more, why didn't they load the first rocket with more? Why allow the first humans to capture them In the first place? Why not enter the first humans and then load up the first rocket?

There are a number more but you get the idea.

I know it's just a film, and when it comes to comic book and sci-fi stuff you've got to forgive a few leaps of logic, but for me there's to much to forgive in this film.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie!
bzoom09 October 2018
I honestly don't get the critics, the score does not coincide with the experience that Venom offers us. Is it a strategy to draw more attention to it? Who knows! But I am for sure that's the truth... I've seen worse movies who had at least 50 points from them. Still, it's not the best Marvel movie out there, with Black Panther being the best and probably the greatest surprise that MCU has ever given to us, but it was enjoyable and I was really impressed with the portrayal of Venom, considering the story in the comic books. SPOILER ALERT: there's a lot of schizophrenia in this one :))
138 out of 247 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.