Battle of the Bulge: Winter War (2020) Poster

Waste of My Time and Money
garthur-9620216 November 2020
The acting was surprisingly bad with unrealistic dialogues and little body language. There was a lack of continuity of dates, ranks, and signage. It seems the producer was too cheap to hire technical advisors. The film abruptly stops before what should have been the climax of the plot. I wasted $5.99 on this pay-per-view.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Got to be a Spoof right? Wish I could leave a -10
steven-8348016 November 2020
I cannot believe that this movie actually made it to a television screen. As I type this, I am only 45 minutes in to the movie and I had to hit the web to check and see if maybe I was crazy. It doesn't even make good humor. When I watch movies about the Bulge or any other military event, I expect nothing but the best. This is just unbelievable. Atrocious is too good a word to describe it. Why any actor would want to be associated with this blows my mind. For all of you who gave it anything above a 1, YOU ARE CLUELESS TO MILITARY RANK AND PROCEDURE. My eyes are hurting. Painful. Germans pretending to be redneck Americans. Sweet Lord above make this one disappear.
19 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Uh-oh ... someone got a camera for Christmas!
rchankins18 November 2020
It is obvious that this is a very very low budget movie.

Made by the family Schuetzle: costumes, props, casting, cameras, special effects, vehicles, guns, etc. The producers, production manager, production coordinator, production assistants, catering, stunt performer, actor, and actress are all Schuetzle!

Many low budget movies are excellent. But they had a good script, capable actors and a qualified director.

This movie, unfortunately, has none of the above! The acting is stiff and low energy. Some of the worst line readings ever. Even when a actor is shot, it's the worst low energy reaction! There is no direction.

No production value. (Are those cut out stars double stuck to General Bradley's helmet?)

The cinematography is uninspired and visually boring.

The props look like they just came off the assembly line. Brand new.

The special effects are nothing special!

I guess with the corona virus and film production down, and the lack of product for home viewing, everyone is pulling films that were shelved, dusting them off, and showing them.

It's good for them to at least get some revenue for what would be a total loss, but bad for us!!!
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sadly Novice.... Great work for Minnesotans outta work during early COVID.
jim-0941214 November 2020
I was really disappointed in the acting. Keep your eyes open and you will find images of things that were not around during World War II.... I just KNOW that those locals who participated in this productions making, had fun.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie Credibility
hankelda7 November 2020
The basic background for the movie was sound, using the Second Infantry Division near Elsenborn Ridge, was good. My father was a company commander in the Battle of the Bulge, in the Second Infantry Division. HOWEVER, everything else about the movie was horrible. First, why use a 70 year old man actor as a Major in the military. The oldest age for a Major would be 35-40 years old. What was this Major's role? It appeared he was making decisions that persons much higher rank would be making. Also, his helmet had Lieutenant Colonel insignia, while his collar had Major rank. Then, during the movie, you had a German impersonator with Second Lieutenant rank (gold bar on helmet) giving orders to a First Lieutenant (Silver Bar on helmet). Come on Director, get your ranks straight! Then out of the blue, you have this Major talking on first name basis to a Lieutenant General (three star general) as if they're buddies or something. BTW, The highest ranking person in the Second Infantry Division is a two star general. AND, Major's don't make strategic decisions on the battlefield! They are usually Operations Officers at the battalion level (500 personnel). If he was portraying a staff officer, then a Major would be the deputy G2 for the division. Ironically, I held that position as the deputy G2 for the Second Infantry Division. So you see this is personal. What the hell was this three star doing wandering around talking to Majors in the Second Infantry Division? Please have someone who was in the military work as an advisor when you make war movies!!! YOU LOOK RIDICULES!
41 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie Watchers Remorse
ImPlatzeKatze15 November 2020
Everything negative written here by other reviewers is absolutely true.

The only positive thing I can add is; the armorer for this movie did a good job. All weapons were correct for the era. Even the German ones. Everything else was terrible.

The worst line in the movie: One guy is carrying 2 Panzerfausts, and the other guy asks him how many shots he has. (The answer is 2)

My remorse came from paying $6.99 on Dish to watch this pile. 😿
13 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not watch film
dannyduggan-424541 December 2020
This was day light robbery one of the worst films I have ever seen special affects and the acting was all terrible
13 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely worst War Movie EVER and the 2nd worse is not even close.
rjwkvgda8 November 2020
This was a absolutely terrible film. I have a kid across the street in the 8th grade that has made better movies and has more Film festival awards!

It was terribly acted, it was terribly directed. I've seen much better acting by high school students with zero talent. A 70 year old major? 2nd LT taking charge of 1st LTs? Fight scenes were as bad as I have ever seen, poorly blocked, poorly edited, poor sound effects and editing. And don't even get me started on the photography. Or on the military tactics.

Should be embarrassing to anyone connected. Whoever greenlighted this script should be out of a job. Director should never be given the reins again. Investors should sue.

WARNING. do not waste 85 minutes of your life on this.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WARNING: Terrible
bzgwff7 November 2020
This is a terrible film. Grossly incompetent acting, even the so-called headliner actors are absolutely stiff. Editing is horrendously chaotic. Not chaotic in a good cinematic way such as to portray Fog of War concepts etc., but chaotic in terms being just plain bad. Camera work, script, continuity - all are junior varsity. Whom of those involved would want to use this film as reference on their resume? Who in their right mind would finance this? This should be a career ender. This is a tremendous dis-service to the real heroes of this conflict, fortunately this film likely won't be around long enough to inflict itself on too many people. I want my money back!
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful
igruenthal7 November 2020
As a 12 year veteran whose grandfather fought in the Battle of the Bulge, I can say with confidence this was one of the worst war movies I've ever seen! So many inaccuracies, anachronisms, and just plain unrealistic content that I can't believe this movie didn't go straight to the 99¢ bin. Better off watching A-Team reruns!
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst War movie ever
jthorn-039857 November 2020
The director should go back to directing school. The acting was terrible and the plot was hard to follow. I couldn't tell which group were the Germans and which group were the Americans. Then when there is a fight scene and soldiers are firing point blank range nobody dies. Please give me my money back I feel like I was robbed.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wtf did I just watch???
sunny_wells11 November 2020
Quite possibly the worst movie I have ever watched!! I cannot believe I paid $5.99 for this. 🤦‍♀️ The acting was weird at best. The dialogue was stale, the scenery looked like Michigan.. then come to find out, IT ACTUALLY WAS MICHIGAN! I'm thinking the "Brown" family must be related to the actor that played "Rudy"... that or he paid them.. not sure which. I didn't go to "movie making" school, but I have seen a ton of movies.. anyone who says this movie is anything but bad, is delusional
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't watch
ofcjoeroberts15 November 2020
This movie was obviously written and directed by people who know nothing about the military.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sorry, but it was horrible to watch
slesser1011 November 2020
The story was bad, the acting was bad. This is painful to watch. The bad had nothing to do with the low budget either. It's a movie with a bunch of conversations that are way too long. Boring conversations. Oh man the conversations are so boring. I could not go beyond 1/2 way through.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waste your time!
jakes_daddy8 November 2020
Garbage, just garbage. Acting is non-existent. Script is something I would expect from a mentally deranged 3rd grader. Not sure that some of the weapons shown in the film even existed during WW2. I'm guessing that the writer/star of the movie Steven Luke, must have something on Berenger and Zane, or they lost a bet and had to appear in this flick. 85 minutes of my life that I can never get back.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Horrible Movie
sham-9579211 November 2020
First off the director should have hired someone with military experience as EVERYTHING military about this move was REALLY bad, Let's start with a 3 star General on a lonely battlefield talking to a Major (with wrong rank on helmet) like they are bar buddies, will never happen! Next, everyone has new weapons after for years of brutal fighting, not to mention film shots showing plugged barrels and "Cowboys & Indians" type shooting scenes, where nothing comes out the barrel but the arms and body is shaking, Oh and belt fed .30 Browning firing but the belt not moving. now to the MP's yes the Germans used squads of SS dressed as Military Police but the were used to mis-direct troops and remove/change road signs. nothing in the history of WWII shows they ever tried to take over a fuel supply dump. and a second Lieut. talking to a first Lieut. like he was a private would have had him on the ground and several teeth lost, or shot. next is the Tank action shots, where they are firing with .30 Browning & M2 Ma Duce, and nobody is getting shot and/or blown to pieces...keep rattling that big 50 tank boss and maybe some bullets might just come out, big dis-appointment there! Now onto my last rant: how and why would you turn on your jeep light in order to charge the said jeeps dead battery and if the battery was dead how do you get the spark from the coil wire? but at least someone (The 755th Sargent and the Captain) got the M3 Grease Gun action right, fires from an "Open" bolt.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish i could get my money back!
apophis-6198626 February 2021
I should have read the prior reviews for this really bad production before shelling out $$$ on the blu-ray. The other reviews cover everything i would want to say. please refund my purchase.
Dogash
sonofanders-0986913 February 2021
Makes you wish the Germans won ww2 the nazis would never tolerate such low standards the original is a great film this was like infant school play but without your child in it to cheer on half way thru i wanted standing against a wall and executing by nazi firing squad pure unadulterated rubbish
Waste of time
struex2 February 2021
Don't waste your time. Acting was worst ever. I have seen better acting in low budget films and not only that, the explosions were very animated and they shot their weapons and didn't kill anyone it seems. The weather seemed perfect considering it was suppose to be terrible in real life. What made it the worst movie for me was at the end the major put on his helmet with Lt. Col. Insignia on his helmet. When the makers of this movie couldn't even get the ranks right was the last straw.
Turkey
ivnapp24 January 2021
TV SHOULD BE EMBARRASSED TO EVEN OFFER THIS PIECE OF GARBAGE. I'VE SEEN BETTER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PLAYS THAN THIS JUNK. DO NOT WATCH THIS. TOM BERENGER, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!??
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute sh***! Thought tom berrenger would have paid his mortgage off by now 🤔
kas_installations14 January 2021
1st time i ever seen in a film or real life a 50 cal open up and not hit anyone ? Was this the PC version of war? 3 bits of ketchup for wounds in the whole film! Shame
Couldn't watch past 10 minutes
sgt-6429027 December 2020
My son and I were looking forward to watching another WWII film. The first scene, "Ummm that was an odd dialog", second or third scene, "Wow that line was delivered pretty flat....." Another scene, "Did that soldier just "hussle" up to that tree holding that rifle like it was a delicate object?" Ok, something isn't right about this movie.... next scene, "ok, that was some horrible dialog... and was delivered flat....."

We both agreed that we couldn't finish this movie. While I didn't spend a dime to watch it, as my father in-law had bought the DVD.
cheap B-movie
SnoopyStyle26 December 2020
It's December 1944. The Germans have thrown much of their reserves into a risky attempt to turn the tides of the war. Small groups of American soldiers fend off the overwhelming opponent which includes Germans dressed as American GIs. Major McCulley (Tom Berenger) desperately struggles to organize resistance with General Omar Bradly (Billy Zane).

The action staging is bad. The pyrotechnics are lacking. The dialogue is clunky. I don't like Berenger and Zane. The story material is warmed-over bits from better movies. Non of this is any good but I'm not angry at it. It's a cheap B-movie and it's over its head. It has a couple of vehicles which is nice but it's not nearly enough.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They did great with what they had
ryguybrown-391369 November 2020
With the low budget they had this movie was actually pretty good! If you say this movie was terrible it's your own fault for expecting to see some sort of Broadway million dollar extravaganza. And honestly I think their acting was really good. I especially loved the scene when that Rudy guy did the little cut throat thingy to the German.
7 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dreadful B movie rubbish of a major WW2 Event
banjofred-414-798733 January 2021
The 2005 Battle of the Bulge with Robert Shaw,Henry Fonda and other stars was excellent. Whilst the senior offices might have been a tad older than in fact, non were Tom Beringers 70 year old operating from a money saving tent (everything was in the tent), asking for General Omar Bradley saying christian and surname as a history lesson for the viewer. the weather was good considering the reality was in mid winter.Uniofrm facts already covered by other reviewer with more knowledge than I. There have been some great WW2 movies. Patton lust for glory scores 10 for me. It had this battle in it.The Longest Day, whilst a starkest, as was A Bridge too far, was excellent. Even the 1950s Combat black and white movie on this subject was better. All in all this may have provided mister bringers pension, but its not for me.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.