Moonshot (2022) Poster

(2022)

An underwhelming romance featuring two unlikable characters with no chemistry and rather underwhelming comedy
IonicBreezeMachine31 March 2022
In 2049, mankind has successfully colonized Mars with applicants able to either purchase commercial tickets or apply for the a work program. Assistant barista and slacker Walt Scott (Cole Sprouse) having been rejected 37 times and finding his "dream girl" Ginny (Emily Rudd) is now going to Mars finally decides to stowaway on the latest ship to mars using the unwitting help of Sophie Tsukino (Lana Candor) whom he tricks into bringing through the boarding gate so he can sneak in on the escape pods. Shortly after liftoff, Sophie quickly discovers Walt and realizing that security will connect his presence to her reluctantly helps hide him so she isn't placed on a no-fly list and kept from reunited with her boyfriend Calvin (Mason Gooding). Over the course of a month Walt and Sophie serve as reluctant roomates with their relationship developing over time.

Moonshot comes to us from producer Greg Berlanti's Berlanti-Schechter Filmsin the second feature film produced for HBO Max following 2020's unpregnant. The movie is the first major release for director Chris Winterbauer and writer Max Taxe with Winterbauer's previous credits being mostly short films and a feature called Wyrm which appears to have never been released. On paper the film seems like an okay setup for a light sci-fi comedy romance film, but in execution it falls flat with two leads who don't fit as a couple despite the movie's attempt to make them.

Cole Sprouse plays Walt as a slacker who hasn't accomplished anything and somehow thinks going to Mars will fix all his problems. He meets a random girl, Ginny, at a party and takes this as "love" and uses it as an excuse to trick someone into helping him stowaway. Lana Condor plays Sophie who's tightly wound, abrasive, and condescending and seems and the character despite having more drive than Walt by comparison carries airs of superiority that honestly just grated on me. Both these characters are awful and their chemistry is virtually non-existent. At the relative "height" of their "romance" Walt and Sophie never feel like they go above mildly tolerating each other let alone romance especially in comparison to ancillary characters like Cameron Esposito's Tabby and Sunita Deshpande's Celeste who make you wonder "why are we not watching a movie about these two?".

Moonshot evokes the feel of a number of other similar movies with bits of Wall-E, Silent Running, or even more recent films like Love and Monsters and it just doesn't come anywhere close to the level of these movies you can't help but compare it to. Maybe if our two leads had the slightest bit of chemistry to them or endeared themselves, but they don't. Even in the third act nadir Sophie still has more chemistry with Calvin than with Walt and the movie wants us to root for Sophie and Walt as a couple. The one element I can say kind of worked was Zach Braff as space entrepreneur Leon Kovi whose whole gimmick basically boils down to laughing at how much of an idiot Walt is and his turning Walt into an interstellar punchline by Memeing while a little pandering was probably the high point of the humor in this movie which probably speaks to how inert the humor truly is. There are also some moments of visual wonder and genuine awe in the movie tat almost work, but most of the time the setting isn't fully exploited and it might as well be a cruise ship for all it effects the plot.

Moonshot is not good. It features two unlikable characters portrayed by actors with no chemistry and pales in comparison to similarly themed films that are better. Zach Braff's brief performance at the end was kind of entertaining and there's individual moments that almost work, but this is one you can skip without missing much.
51 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unconvincing, dull, and cringey.
pasaribuharisfadli2 April 2022
I must give Lana Condor a credit for being able to bring some gravitas to her rather bland character. Alas, the same cannot say about Cole Sprouse. He's only making his irritating character worse. Despite how much effort Lana and Cole try to give, the romance between Sophie and Walt is still unconvincing, dull, and cringey.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cheesy children's movie
stevelivesey671 April 2022
Very bland. Lots of Elon Musk hero worship (not referred to directly). Very Hallmarky, sugary Disneyesque.

The 2 main leads are annoying. The useless, nerd white loser and the unlikeable uptight Asian girl seen it all before.

There is just nothing to reccomend here unless you are a 10 year old girl.
38 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not sure what I watched....
aimtrain10213 April 2022
I usually like Cole and I've watched Lana in To All the Boys a million times, but this was not it for these two. It could have been so much better. The idea was different and had potential but the execution fell flat. The dialogue was just off. And weird. Felt no real connection to any of the characters. Definitely no romantic chemistry between the two leads. The jokes didn't hit right, if can even call them jokes. Again I usually find Cole charming and funny, so not sure what happened here.

I couldn't get into this at all no matter how much I wanted to.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Treacle
scottjtepper1 April 2022
A Hallmark TV-style Movie from the cramped quarters (er, I mean set) of a spaceship involving two cartoon characters with no chemistry for each other (or anything else for that matter). Except that Hallmark would pass on it as too formulaic, obvious and dumb.

This treacle is passing for entertainment these days and was breathlessly advertised by HBO Max in a direct email campaign to its hapless subscribers as something to watch. It's not. It's just awful.

Don't waste your time. Yes, it's good the actors and the crew got paid, but HBO Max should be ashamed of itself.

The trillions of electrons that died for this trash deserved better.
25 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yep.
krs-922021 April 2022
After closing it once and walking away, I came back because no one else expressed how much this was would have been a movie on Disney. I guess because the male lead still acts like he did when he was on Disney. There were funny parts, I loved the Captain (Michelle Buteau), but not enough good parts to make this above a just average movie.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Rom com to Mars. Why call it Moonshot?
dochands10 April 2022
This is predictable and silly. Not worthy of review. My only question is if they are on a shuttle to Mars why is the movie called Moonshot? Asking for a friend.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh well
Before20203 April 2022
I miss what movies used to be. Miss real actors... Standards... Good acting. Where have the good writers, producers and directors gone? The annoying characters and ridiculous costumes, were unbearable in this movie. Is this the type of movie we are going to have from now on? Trendy, checking off all the boxes fluff?
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One time watch film!
anaaannya5 April 2022
Moonshot was supposed to enchant me, but it never did. Condor's natural charisma should carry this, but Sprouse's Ryan Reynolds Lite chatter-snark grinds it to a halt. Goofy omnipresent robot voices interject one-liners, unmemorable supporting characters come and go, and the obligatory pseudo-philosophical two-blips-in-the-vastness-of-the-universe moments are more corny than profound. Such things aren't good or funny enough to take our attention away from the painful reality that our two protagonists are so thin and generic that their love story is dormant.

Among the hilarity, Moonshot primarily featured some light drama centered on two young people trying to figure out who they are and what they want to be, culminating with Walt giving Sophie advice about her relationship with another Mars-dwelling Dude. If properly executed and written, it would be a good starting point. However, the film tries to combine two genres by juxtaposing lightly combative banter and forced tender moments against Ikea Basics Spaceship backdrops, which, despite establishing a more cheery and optimistic tone than the usual austere dystopian-future fodder, feels like two ideas crudely stapled together. After seeing this, I honestly believe that Wall E and EVE had more chemistry and a better storyline than this film and lead casts.

In short, if you have nothing to do and nothing to watch one evening, you can stream it. Because- Moonshot appears to be a different kind of rom-com, but it tells the same old story. For me, it is only a one-time watch film.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watchable once
noobdas-8375431 March 2022
Well, I didn't expect much from this and it was as expected. Pretty fun movie but it's too slow at the start and gets annoying. Acting was mediocre and plot was the same, supporting characters don't have any importance whatsoever and overall Its a 5/10 for me.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another HBO Dud
K1MCity7 April 2022
Terrible. It should be a crime to spend the kind of money this cost to make on a movie like this For 1 the music makes me want to claw my ears off. I think it litterly has the worst soundtrack ever. The acting is pretty bad. I'd say a 3.5 out of 10, 10 being the best. Story is uninteresting, predictable & VERY uninventive. Ever since Warner brothers bought HBO it's content has gone downhill fast. More on the level of crappy basic cable shows. They even have game shows & reality tv shows ok HBO now. It's a travisty.
9 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
fresh premise but could be better
a_filmcritter1 April 2022
This film follows the same template as most romcoms, the two pretend to be boyfriend-girlfriend, despite disliking one another, but then they can't help but fall for one another ...except this takes place in space.

Moonshot is definitely tailored for young viewers, and in that sense it is entertaining, funny, and cute. I found the beginning to be weird or slow, but once they get into space things start to pick up. I also thought the chemistry could be better between the two, as some romantic scenes felt too forced. But they are meant to be a quirky and 'different' couple from most romcom couples, and I thought they were able to pull that off together.
10 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something new
This movie is so underrated, I'm so glad I accidentally pressed play.

It's funny, well written and it's something I've never seen before. I really like the 50ies touch on the fashion and colours.

I like how slow it is, and each scene is so overthinked(?).

Moonshot is definitely on my top 20 movies.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lot of fun
rafaews1 April 2022
I was totally expecting another OK romcom but this flick surprised me.

I busted out laughing quite a few times.

The AI robots are the funniest.

Maybe it's just me but I loved it.

Just try it.
19 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No. Just no
roydo433 April 2022
Juvenile rom-com poorly written and unbelievable. Any ratings over a 4 are biased ratings placed by people affiliated with the show. It was painful to watch at times and usually predictable. My advice is to give it a pass.
11 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Great
ebrownback2 April 2022
Sort of dumb. Pretty agenda heavy. Just not entertaining. The best parts were the brief views of the cat. I wouldn't recommend it. Definitely not for young people.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's pretty good
killercola1 April 2022
Didn't think I would like this but it ended up better than expected. It won't win any Emmy's but I don't think it's intention is awards. It's a fun and easy watch for passing time. Give it a go.
16 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's another romantic comedy. Not good, not terribly bad either, because the actors are quite good and so are the dialogues. Missing spark and punch though.
imseeg14 April 2022
I do love a good romantic comedy and they definitely did get the romantic part right. For those who are into lots of dreaming and flirting and chasing a loved one, this could be your movie.

The bad: it aint really funny at all. So they didnt get the comedy part right. So it's a mixed bag.

More bad: it's kinda tedious. Not much is happening. The entire Mars story is only a sorry excuse for a romance, that never gets really hot.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible
kgb-351 April 2022
This is a seriuos candidate for the worst film ever made.

Forgive the teenage actors, they didn't have a lot to work with. That said, I doubt we'll be seeing any of them again. I hope they got paid well because this is the end of their acting lives.

The writer and the director should be kept well away from, well everything. Ever.

Have fun. I laughed my butt off for 90 minutes - for all the wrong reasons.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Old school stuff
pronitmallick6 April 2022
Moonshot is a movie that starts its act by opening doors to a vibrant world filled with elements that at the same time feel new and also old. Right from the first act things which catch your attention is the actors and the chemistry between them. With normal pacing, the film moves forward piquing your interest little by little also tries to make you stick on your seat and enjoy the story from start to finish but that doesn't stick for a while. Right at the beginning of the second act the items director Christopher Winterbauer has put together with the presentation start to get predictable with every step and it also starts to remind of you similar stories and patterns which you have witnessed before this one. Screenplay, editing, and the whole presentation could also get a good polish before coming altogether. In the end, Moonshot is a movie that offers you a story that will stick with you, not for the long term but for the small term.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing story
goshamorrell1 April 2022
Space is rife territory for an original romantic comedy, especially one about long distance relationships. "Moonshot," which places young adults on a slow adventure to Mars that's basically a road trip through the final frontier, doesn't take advantage of this enough. But it's an amusing diversion because of the two mismatched people at the center played by Cole Sprouse and Lana Condor. "Moonshot" does not concern the moon but Mars, a planet in which some people live. The year is 2049, and barista assistant Walt (Sprouse) is fixated on getting to Mars, having applied over 30 times to the Kovi space program and being rejected. His desire is enflamed even more when he instantly falls for a future astronaut named Ginny (Emily Rudd), who hops on a shuttle the morning after they meet. Sharing Walt's woes, though not seeing eye-to-eye, is Sophie (Condor), whose boyfriend Calvin (Mason Gooding) is up on Mars and will be for a long time. Walt and Sophie become an unlikely pair, mostly in that Walt's fast-talking ways and clinginess somehow convince Sophie to sneak him into the ship she's boarding, after she finally decides to buy a "civilian" ride for nearly a million dollars. Desperate to be with Ginny, he rides up in an escape pod, and then when it's time for the voyage to Mars from a station, he plans on hiding in the air ducts."Moonshot" is the kind of movie that's frustrating because of what makes it endearing-there's so much that makes you wish it were more original. No rom-com set in space should feel this ordinary. Kovi has some plans for stowaway Walt that are, endemically, inconsequential and cute at best. Even this change of course in the third act is a bit rushed and emotionally underwhelming, despite the anticipation of Mars as the planet where relationships are long-distance no more. Now playing on HBO MAX, and Only on HBO Max.
9 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awkward beginning, ok middle, meh ending
star_hazard2 April 2022
I like both actors but together as a couple not so much. I don't really feel the chemistry nor do I find anything about them romantic, they are just awkward tbh (and the male lead's actions is honestly creepyville not romantic)...I'd accept this more as a light hearted "drama". Giving it a 6 because I liked the space theme and the whole adventure premise, wish they focused on that more and put the "romance" on the side but alas we get this.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This was actually surprisingly good...
paul_haakonsen27 April 2022
Well, I have to admit that the 2022 romantic sci-fi comedy actually turned out better than I had anticipated it to be. Sure, the storyline here was generic and predictable to the core, but there was just something stellar and otherworldly about the storyline that made "Moonshot" work out so well.

The storyline in "Moonshot", as written by Max Taxe, sure was a generic one, but at the same time it did manage to bring something new to the genre. It was nice to actually have an out-of-this-world romantic comedy movie such as this. The setting and the atmosphere of the entire movie just panned out so nicely and worked well in favor of the storyline.

The movie has a good cast ensemble. I wasn't familiar with Cole Sprouse (playing Walt) or Lana Condor (playing Sophie), but they really carried the movie quite well in their individual leading parts. And they definitely had a great on-screen chemistry that just added a lot of flavor to the movie. It was also fun to see Zach Braff in the movie, despite only for a brief time.

I was actually genuinely entertained by director Christopher Winterbauer's 2022 movie "Moonshot", and it is one that I can warmly recommend you take the time to watch, especially if you enjoy the archetypical romantic comedy genre. But take into consideration that "Moonshot" takes it to the stars.

My rating of "Moonshot" lands on a well-deserved seven out of ten stars.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
i liked it
news-1212 April 2022
Much better than expectations.

Ok not oscar material but its nice gentle comedy.

Entertaining and light hearted.

Sometimes we all need these.

Probably give it a 2nd viewing in a month or two.
6 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Look. I liked it.
Honestly. Cole did amazing !!!!

He was funny and sweet and his one liners were 10/10.

I really enjoyed it.

Lana was really good as the stressed out - needs to be perfect- role but it felt like her previous roles. I would like to see her in something that gives her that humor range. But still It was a sweet. Cute movie !
10 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.