Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins (TV Movie 2009) Poster

Coming from a big Scooby Doo fan, I enjoyed this movie
TheLittleSongbird24 July 2011
Although I did read a few negative reviews beforehand, that didn't stop me from having high hopes for Scooby Doo! The Mystery Begins I am a big Scooby Doo fan, and have been for a long time, so naturally I wanted to see this. Although it is not a perfect film, and I wasn't expecting it to be, I enjoyed it.

I can understand it when people say the basic story line of Scooby Doo! The Mystery Begins is predictable. In a way it is predictable, and some of the middle could have been better paced. In all fairness though, I found the original cartoons, which I adored for its strong characters and funny writing, on the predictable side, likewise with a few other Hanna/Barbera shows, Yogi Bear for instance.

In regards to the story, I liked the ideas the movie brought forward, and the ending was cool. The writing was funny and a tad cheesy, in short quite like the writing of the original cartoons in the jokes and snappy lines. Some can have a tendency to be a little too silly, but I can sort of forgive that.

The costume and set design are spot on, very colourful and the photography and editing manage to be several notches above slapdash straight to video fare. The effects are above average too, not award-worthy but there are far worse out there.

The characters are still likable, and the acting is good enough. Scooby is very sweet and funny, exactly as he should be. The actors of Shaggy and Velma nail their roles, and Fred(his hair didn't bother me really seeing as this is a movie of how Mystery Inc. came about) is decent as well. The weak link is Daphne, she looks right for the part but overdoes it sometimes.

All in all, I liked it. 8/10 Bethany Cox
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stays true to the cartoon.
sheer6418 September 2009
If you liked the cartoons you will like this movie. It is enjoyable and will keep the kids entertained. The story is simple the characters stay true to the cartoon ones and the best part is everybody loves Scooby Doo. This takes us back to when they first combine as an investigative group, having to defend their names at high school after some strange mishaps. I am not sure what the budget was on the film some simple effects have been used to keep production costs down. I give it a 6 out of 10 as it is lacking some substance, but still puts allot of bigger budget movies to shame. Overall worth watching with the kids and I hope they continue on and make more of this series.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Breakout Vehicle
nevadaluke26 September 2009
And it's not the Mystery Van....

The star of this movie is the scene-stealing Hayley Kiyoko, who has that sure-fire combo of a pretty face that's rubbery enough for broad comedy. There's no doubt that this DVD is her calling card to Big Things.

I like this iteration of the series despite its creaky gags, thin plot and underwhelming visual effects. The four human characters imbue the film with an infectious, bubbly chemistry.

The plot unfolds so rapidly you won't have time to fret over its flaws. Many of the gags, for instance, were old when they were done in Mack Sennett comedies. And some of the details may irk "Scooby" purists, such as Fred's dark hair this time around. On the other hand, there are a number of amusing back-story gags -- for instance, three of the characters are too young to drive. So guess which one has his license because he's been held back a couple of grades.

As for the special effects, the rendering of the title character puts him in the Salem the cat league ("Sabrina the Teenage Witch") -- cheesiness is part of the fun. When I caught this movie, I happened to be watching ABC's "Kingdom Hospital" miniseries, which features a remarkably lifelike anteater character. It crossed my mind that the money that went into creating that anteater was probably four or five times the budget for this entire motion picture.

"Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins" also provides a lot of material for drinking games here. Take a gulp every time you see Velma's knees, every time Shaggy says "Zoinks," every time you understand one of Scooby's lines -- you get the idea.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow, Amazing compared to others
legomyegorawr15 September 2009
I grew up watching scooby doo I watched every single episode that I can get my hands on to, hell I got 7 DVD volumes as birthday presents, X-mas presents, and easter. As a 7 year old I knew ever episode by heart then I moved onto watching Pup Named Scooby what a good show it was I use to play sick just to watch it then I heard about the real time movies the first one I loved it even though it's cheesy that's what Scooby Doo was based on honestly. The second one had nothing really special about it that gave it that Scooby feeling. Then I watched the animated movies I felt they where all that was really needed to keep it alive I was sad when they stopped then I heard about this. What can I say I knew it was a TV and there wasn't going to be top class actors but something urged me to watch it something like a mystery. I watched it just a while go I fell in love with it they could have had room for improvements but you know I soon realised it's supposed to have that cheesy feeling. I was particularly impressed with how Shaggy acted and Velma I thought they're going to mess up on them but they did good specially towards the end. The cgi really out-stood me I thought that this Scooby was going to look to CGI affected but it was the perfect mixture not to much nor to less. You know I liked how everyone got angry that they're throwing away some of the key elements like the blonde affect but now adays who has blonde hair like that in high school? I know damn well no one does at my school it's a modern day version not supposed to be in the 60's. I really liked the story they built a good enough background story for me and they developed the plot just like any classic SD cartoon. It might just be the perfect revival in a way. I hope that these actors get respect and more chances on CN's network if they have another movie.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyable
toribabori91313 September 2009
I heard of this movie through my 12 year old cousin who knew I was a Scooby Doo fan and mentioned this movie when I visited her. I must say I was apprehensive of the movie as I felt it wouldn't live up to the original 'Scooby Doo' movie and its sequel. I also was a little nervous as it didn't have any of the original cast in the movie.

When I watched this movie, I was prepared for poor acting and unreal special effects. However, I was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed myself throughout it.

1. Frank Welker brings Scooby to life in this movie and I am happy that brought in an original 'Scooby Doo' cast member from the TV show. 2. Robbie Amell, Hayley Kiyoko and Kate Melton as Fred, Velma and Daphne fill the roles of these characters and their performances should make even the original cast of the movie proud. 3. Nick Palatas as Shaggy was the star of the show and had Shaggy's voice down to a T. Palatas and 'Scooby' steal the show as the always-in-trouble duo and Palatas' performance by far surpassed the rest.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable movie and if you are a Scooby Doo fan, as I am, I am sure you will enjoy this. It's great for the kids and adults, as well. My grandparents, parents and a few friends that were over, all enjoyed this movie and we are definitely going to add this to our movie collection when it becomes available.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Exactly what I expected...Fun for the whole family!!!
jmayer200913 September 2009
Just got done watching the new movie and I have to say that I was very impressed. The acting is better than you would expect and the story line is decent. Since I was real young I've always loved Scooby Doo. When I found out they were making another live action movie I got really excited. Then I found out It was not going to the movies and I started to worry. Then when I found out that Fred was not blonde and Velma was Japenease(something like that)I freaked out. But after watching it I realized the new Fred and Velma worked. The only problem I had with Velma was how she said Jinkies. My favorite part of the movie was the ending. How the makers remade the opening credits of the cartoon. That was really cool. This movie is very entertaining for all people who are fans of Scooby. I highly recommend it. 9/10
19 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Awesome Beginning!!!
Pumpkin_Man17 September 2009
I really liked this movie! It tells the story of how Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby met and how they formed Mystery Inc. After a misunderstanding on the bus, they all receive detention and get to know each other. Soon, some ghosts pop up and ruin the school pep rally and the gang are accused of doing it, so they are expelled. They try to disguise themselves and go back into school to figure out who is behind bringing the ghosts to life. (I think Daphne looks incredibly hot disguised as a goth girl!) When they figure out what the ghost is after, he kidnaps Scooby and forces the gang to look for a time capsule. I highly recommend SCOOBY DOO: THE MYSTERY BEGINS!!!
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby-Doo! The Mystery Begins - and it's not that bad!
monsterhunter_1115 September 2009
Well worth the watch for any Scooby-Doo fan who is open to different opinions and interpretations of 'the greatest mystery of all' (so says the trailer) - how Mystery Inc became Mystery Inc.

A sweet, funny, unassuming hour and twenty minutes with a story line that isn't as obvious as it first appears... Yes, the plot actually has fairly strong twists that will make you think! Surprising, really, but that's not all this gem has to offer.

The kids were generally well chosen; Fred is a good-looking chauvinist in the form of a high school jock, with a nice boy interior. Daphne (although everything to depict Daphne is there, she never really quite convinces me) is a stuck-up, well groomed daddy's girl dramatist, who is actually quite a sensible, bright person underneath. Velma is suitably brainy (if slightly overdone) and speaks awkwardly, although I'm not sure if this is just the actress. But it comes off rather well anyway. Of course, during the film there is the customary make-over of Velma by Daphne, but thankfully she returns to her orange sweater wearing self soon after.

Norville 'Shaggy' Rogers is perhaps the best of the bunch; everything from his adolescent, teetering voice to his brown corduroy slacks, to his 'identical to cartoon Shaggy's' shaggy goatee. Shaggy was the character I most enjoyed watching and felt sorry for, laughed at and adored Scooby with. With a duly suspicious supporting cast, the whole thing is smooth, well executed and likable. Another bonus; it's not too soppy either; something I've come to expect from American kid's films *coughHighSchoolMusicalcough*. With less sap than the 2002 film featuring Freddie Prinze Jr., Sarah Michelle Geller and others, I suspect when making films for teens (which this one is) they've cut down on the amount as they tend to be perceptive and dislike over usage of it. In fact, in this film most of the sap is appropriate and well disguised.

Sure, some of the details aren't quite there - Fred isn't blond (maybe he dyed it later in life) and oddly enough everything takes place in the 21st century; strange to hear the words 'CD, DVD, Mp3' come out of Shaggy's mouth as well as multiple uses of the words 'hot' and 'hottie'. But be a good sport and over look these (to appeal to the younger generation it would be natural to update the gang to the 21st century anyway) and you'll end up having a pretty good time. Even Scooby's animation is pretty good for a straight-to-DVD movie. And, as a plus, Frank Welker, the original Scooby himself, voices him.

Just watch out for the montage at the end as the gang spray up the van; any of the scenes look familiar to you? Well, I've got 4 words for you. Original series title sequence. Just re-shot with the new actors. A nod to the die hard fans and a surprisingly classy way to finish.

So, we find out how the fantastic 5 came to be; but we also get more questions answered. How did Scooby become Shaggy's dog? Why do the meddling kids have such a hunger for mysteries (absolving Shaggy)?

Where do the Scooby Snax come from? What are the origins of the Mystery Machine? Trust me, it's well worth the watch, even if you never see it again.

And even if you; yes, you, the old fan with the original characters still in the packaging; dismiss this as stupid and ruining the old cartoons: lighten up. It may be stupid, but I know plenty of kids - and adults - will love this.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Zoinks!
BA_Harrison9 January 2010
This made for TV prequel to the fun, all-star Warner Brothers movies suffers from dodgy casting decisions (a non-blond Fred, a Japanese Velma, a rather chunky Daphne, a curly haired Shaggy), very iffy CGI, and a mystery that is far too easy to figure out. It's lightweight, silly, spooky fun, and passable entertainment for the kids, I suppose, but it's not a patch on the gang's two previous live-action outings.

The simple story sees a young Shaggy (Nick Palatas), Scooby (voiced by Frank Welker), Fred (Robbie Amell), Daphne (Kate Melton) and Velma (Hayley Kiyoko) teaming up to find out who is behind the resurrection of a pair of ghosts who are haunting their high-school. In traditional Scooby Doo style, there are several suspects, but the real culprit should be glaringly obvious to anyone who has been paying attention.

Admittedly, there's some fun to be had from seeing how Mystery Inc. formed, and I enjoyed the scene in which Velma gets a sexy makeover by Daphne (gotta love a hot Asian nerd!), but all in all, this adventure lacks the magic, spectacle and quality that a better cast and a bigger budget allows.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't' Believe All the Negative Comments
CromeRose11 December 2009
I think I read one comment that started with "If you're a fan of the cartoon series, watch the first two movies but ignore this" or something to that affect. Well, I just want to put in my two cents and give this movie the support it deserves, as I think it was great and am surprised at all the negativity about it. I am a huge fan of the cartoon (always watched it while growing up and still love it now), and in my opinion the first two movies DO NOT capture the cartoon at all and are badly cast, whereas this movie TOTALLY embodies the spirit of the cartoon, and as far as I'm concerned seemed like a live-action episode of the cartoon, or a cartoon episode "come to life" if you will - even the ghosts and villain in a mask were perfect. The casting of each member of the Scooby Gang was perfect, yes, even the Asian Velma (which for some reason seems to bother a lot of folks - come on people, Hayley Kiyoko depicted Velma to a tee!); and one reviewer berated that Fred was a douche-bag jock, but I don't think he came across as that; I believe in the movie that he was supposed to be a high school senior and in my experience none of the jocks were as nice as he came across - they were all total bullies. Someone else griped that Scooby Doo looked so small it seemed like he'd been starved, but they are forgetting that Scooby Doo is supposed to be younger in this movie; possible still a puppy. Anyway, all in all I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and would love to see it as a live-action series.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different actors, but very enjoyable
night_wng200013 September 2009
I give this a 7, because the acting is decent, the story is fairly original, and it's Scooby Doo! Now, for those who liked the first 2 live-action films, this is a cartoon network film, so while they are all Scooby movies, they have no other relationship to one another. That's not to say it has no faults. It's fairly campy, though not much, and it does stray from it's origins a bit. Scooby fans will know what I mean, once they see this. It does have good action, and CGI effects are well done. The story moves along without getting bogged down by trying to flesh out the characters. I think Hayley Kiyoko did an awesome job as Velma. It's hard to believe she's only 17. I recommend this one as a family fun film. Kids will love it, and adults will enjoy it as just as much.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun DVD fare
studioAT16 March 2011
It may not have the gloss of the two previous live action Scooby films but this one still has all the heart and fun of those two films. It will entertain families in the same way that the classic cartoon did over forty years ago.

An all new cast do a fair job of playing the iconic characters and the story plods along at a pace that can be enjoyed by both parents and kids alike.

There are flaws in the plot but it does come across as more than just a DVD spin and that is a testament to the cast.

Overall this is funny and entertaining enough of a film for those who have enjoyed the previous live action Scooby outings.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really amazing movie; deserves high praise, even from veteran fans!
Schedelluitjen4 November 2009
I was really excited when I first saw the preview for this movie. For some reason, even though I had been a bit disappointed by the first film and never saw the second, I felt that there was something great about this new one. I just purchased and watched it, and boy was that feeling right! I honestly don't think I've enjoyed a Scooby film more since 'Zombie Island'. It really captures the spirit of the old show, without being a slave to every detail from the old continuity. The director, writers, and actors all seem to have done their homework studying the Scooby mythos, because they all have come together to make a film worthy of the greatest of the Scooby movies.

The new timeframe and younger characters are really refreshing, and are like a breath of fresh air after the slew of movies with an older Mystery Five (Zombie Island and the following movies, the first two live-action movies), and the actors are really well-selected; they made me care about the characters, embodying them perfectly and adding new layers to them.

Daphne being an actor was great, and worked really well, although the idea of the rich girl being obsessed with the stage was in a decidedly post-High School Musical vein. In fact, the film was definitely identifiably post-HSM, but it worked really well, and it should no doubt draw in the younger crowds. Daphne's chemistry with Fred was great in this movie, and I found myself really hoping for them to become a couple for real (next movie, perhaps!).

Shaggy was spot-on, and made me feel bad for him in the first parts of the film. I had never really considered a pre-Mystery Inc. Shaggy in high school before (probably because I had the Pup Named Scooby Doo continuity in my head and assumed everyone was friends from forever), and I think he was really shown as he should be. His crush on Velma was great, but I would love to see her really fall for him, perhaps with the introduction of Googie as a romantic rival in the next film (I'm dreaming, but it could happen)!

Velma was great, and the actor did a really wonderful job making her interesting enough that the audience doesn't get annoyed by her nerdiness. Her wardrobe was great too, with the updated hoodie instead of a turtleneck. In fact, all of the wardrobes were amazing in this film for the main characters; good job to that department!

Fred was awesome. People caring about the hair thing should consider that, in the first two movies, it is obviously dyed. And they should watch the video time capsule on the special features. This actor was awesome, portraying the character perfectly as a believable jock, not overly dumb-jocky, but with a kind heart and a love for mysteries. He possibly stood out to me more than anyone else in the cast as doing a wonderful job.

Scooby was good, but not there all that much; perhaps in the next film he could interact more with the gang. And it's wonderful to have the original Scooby voice back, but something about it didn't quite phase well with the rest of the characters; he seemed all on his own, as though his voice weren't really interacting with the others. That's probably always a struggle in a film where one voice is dubbed and the others are recorded on the set, but I hope it's better next time around.

In conclusion, it was wonderful, and I highly recommend it to everyone, Scooby fan or not. To those overly concerned with CDs, continuity with other series, etc., get over it, please. It's a new continuity, and that's what it should be seen as. The mystery machine was a van in some of the series, like Monster Island, if I remember correctly, and the first live action movie, and 'Ghoul School' (of course, that was just a red van, but still...). I think this movie was the perfect encapsulation of the spirit of Scooby Doo, and I only hope that there will be many more in the same spirit to come, hopefully with these same great actors! May it receive the success it deserves!!!
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Some goofs but good film! Better than expected.
nackzucow19 October 2009
If the film is set in 1969 (as it states early on in the film on the school bus - if I remember rightly) Why does Shaggy have CD's and a DVD player (as he states when deciding where they should meet up)?

This film is very true to the cartoon!

1 Hour 20 mins (80mins) not long enough.

Vice Principle Grimes calls Scooby Doo and Shaggy Ben and Jerry - referring to the ice cream as they were locked in the freezer and they ate all the ice cream - but the Ben and Jerry's company wasn't founded until 1978.

Fred dresses as a CHAV and CHAVs wasn't invented until 2004

Good Film Though. I rate it 7 because of the all the goofs, there are more.
3 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very good
tomastullio-8348811 March 2018
This is a very good movie and very enjoyable. Will watch this for hours
Very good
tomastullio-8348811 March 2018
Very good movie and very enjoyable. Will watch this for hours
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A successful movie for the new generation
Marvelfan3428 January 2018
I don't care what the bad reviews say I enjoyed this movie. The acting, the story and the music was absolutely perfect for the movie.

So what if Fred isn't blonde? That doesn't mean the movie is bad they just want a different approach for the franchise.

My favourite scene: When Scooby and Shaggy meet for the first time.

Overall good movie and it had an amazing song "You and I" which I listen to a lot.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good live action adaptation
mad2006478 September 2017
When they get punished and sent to detention together, four students are faced with a mystery which threatens their school's existence. Despite their totally different characters and social status, they begin to collaborate in solving the puzzle, thus forming the famous gang which brightened every child's youth (the animated one of course).

As a personal belief, I consider that making a real life movie out of an animation is a very bad idea, and, for most of the occasions, I was proved right. But, every once and a while, a movie like this one shows up just to prove that, with the right "tools", a good specimen can actually be done. Maintaining the proportions of course, this one is a good adaptation, trying to present the beginning of Scooby Doo, how he was adopted by Shaggy and how the gang started working together, leaving their differences aside. As you can expect, It doesn't have very good actors and it seems to exaggerate a bit too much in some aspects regarding the characters (Velma being much too nerdy, Shaggy talking almost like a retard and so on) but, considering its plot and the fact that they managed to respect most of the Scooby Doo stereotypes, makes it quite a good movie. It also manages to be funny most of the time, making your view a bit more pleasant with every joke. It's by far the best real adaptation of an animated series I've seen so far, and, if you don't judge it too harsh, it can provide a good time, as it did for me.
Better than the big budget Scooby Doo
colaof23 July 2017
Much like everyone else on this planet I grew up watching Scooby Doo, and have since seen many of the countless TV shows and movies over the years. My son and I ended up catching The Mystery Begins one night on Cartoon Network, and my son and I instantly fell in love with it. For a CN movie I wasn't expecting much, but I couldn't believe how good it actually turned out to be. I was never really a fan of the two big budget films that were released in the 2000's. I didn't like the cast. I didn't like the story. The whole thing just felt wrong, and I felt that Scooby and his gang deserved a better representation. Well they got it with this movie. The effects are really bad, but the cast more than makes up for it with their superb performances. I feel like all four of the main cast were born to play these roles. Unlike the big budget Scooby films where those actors couldn't have been more wrong, these four couldn't have been more right. Things can get a bit silly at times, but it wouldn't be Scooby Doo otherwise. The plot is simple, and easy for kids to follow with plenty of twists and turns along the way to keep you interested. This movie came out in 2009, and Robbie Amell seems to be the only one of the main cast to go on to other notable things, and that really is a shame because this group of actors are really talented. Their chemistry, specifically between each other, really comes across on screen, and really that's the most important thing for a Scooby Doo movie to get right. My only real complaint, and it is a minor one, is that Fred's hair isn't blonde, but other than that it really is a great movie that the whole family can sit down and enjoy together. I'd recommend it for kids and families or just any fan of Scooby Doo. A solid 10 out of 10.
An Honest Review
generationofswine1 April 2017
Believe it or not it works a LOT better than the first two Scooby Doo movies.

It was direct to video, it was intended to be a lesser money maker but it still remembered that it was a live-action version of Scooby Doo. It tried to be a Scooby Doo movie and not a cartoon and because of that it succeeded where the others failed.

It didn't insult the Scooby Fans by trying to be what it wasn't. The jokes landed better because they came more from a live action sensibility than a live action trying to be a cartoon sense of humor.

What you got was an honest Scooby movie done with a lower budget than its predecessors, but one that kept it's feet on the ground and worked so much better.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Live action version for younger kids
davispittman1 April 2017
Some parents back in the early 2000s complained that the live action version of Scooby Doo (2002) had some "inappropriate content" and was "not suitable for family viewing". Well this movie should be a suitable substitute. This film is about the gang back in high school and how mystery Inc. got started. I liked the casting decisions, they are all very good fits for their roles. Robbie Amell is the perfect choice for high school Fred. I also liked Kate Melton as Daphne. They were a good couple too, had good natural chemistry together. The actors that played shaggy and Velma were good too. The movie had some good moments that built a little character development and it also had all the aspects of a traditional scooby doo story. If you have younger children then I suggest giving them this to view. It's good family friendly fun. Has some scenes that the younger crowd will think is funny, but nothing too off color, which was the claim some parents made about the 2002 film. Not perfect, but I think the cast was the best thing about the movie and made it worth a watch.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute Scooby-Doo prequel!
joshuadrake-9127517 September 2015
After SCOOBY-DOO 2: MONSTERS UNLEASHED, a third SCOOBY-DOO sequel was announced for a release date. However, after the release of SCOOBY-DOO 2, Warner Bros. felt that the film should have made money, so the production of SCOOBY-DOO 3 was cancelled.

However, after a five-year absence from the big screen, Scooby-Doo and the gang would return in a prequel to the first two films, titled SCOOBY-DOO: THE MYSTERY BEGINS, released in 2009 and it is a direct to video sequel.

The film is a prequel showing how Fred, Daphne, Shaggy, Velma and Scooby-Doo became Mystery, Inc, how they met and the events of their very first case.

The story is okay and the first two SCOOBY-DOO films were kid-friendly, so this film is a little dark and still kid-friendly. The film is directed by Brian Levant and he done a really great job. The script is written by whoever the writer was for this film.

You already know the characters, so I will say that the cast was cool and amazing in these roles, but I wish that the original cast would come back and do this film. I have to say, these four actors, playing the four teens are amazing and Frank Welker does the voice of Scooby- Doo.

The music is scored by Oscar-nominee David Newman, who previously scored the other two films and Lorena Gale, who died during production of this film plays the Librarian and she did a really good job.

Overall, SCOOBY-DOO: THE MYSTERY BEGINS is not the worst prequel, but I definitely enjoyed it and it was spectacular to see their first case on screen.

10/10 - THIS IS ONE MOVIE THAT IS A GREAT PREQUEL TO THE FIRST TWO SCOOBY-DOO FILMS IN THE "Scooby-Doo" MOVIE FRANCHISE.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute Scooby-Doo prequel!
joshuadrake-3948012 May 2015

Meh...Not Terrible, But Not Great
holyspiritdriven28 November 2012
My brother & I probably watched every episode of the original Hannah Barbara Scooby Doo cartoons in the 80's and so I am very leery of all these newer versions that keep popping up. There was a certain feel in those originals that will never be reproduced and perhaps Scooby is best left in the 70's. I was pretty let down by the Freddie Prince Jr. movies which tried to update Scooby (like a lot of CGI updates, Alvin & the Chipmunks, Smurfs, Garfield, Transformers, etc.)with modern lingo & culture which for some reason means crudeness, krass jokes and even sexual innuendos. This movie was better in that sense, but is annoying when they stray from the original (Freddie is blond, ghosts are ALWAYS people in masks, etc.) And since we're making a "realistic" version, why is Scooby CGI? Why not just use a real Great Dane? Nick Palatas, though doing a decent impression of Casey Kacem's "Shaggy" voice comes across annoying and contrived after a while. Maybe I'm a purist...maybe I'm a grouch, but I kind of wish people would leave the old cartoons alone.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scooby Dooby Doo, What Just Happened?
kylehaines964 October 2012
Day 4 Of My 31 Days Of Horror 2.

After the financial success of Scooby Doo and Scooby Doo 2 Monsters Unleashed Cartoon Network decided to release a prequel to the 2 films. They said if you loved the first two you will enjoy this. I highly disagree with that statement.

The film follows Fred played by Robbie Amell Daphne played by Kate Melton Velma played by Hayley Kiyoko Shaggy played by Nick Palatas and Scooby Doo voiced by Frank Welker as they meet up with each other for the very first time. Thats about it.

I do not really hate this movie but I was very let down. I love the performance done by Nick Palatas as Shaggy and I love the chemistry that Scooby Doo and Shaggy have in this film. But the performances done by Amell, Melton and Kiyoko are very poor and are seeming like they could just care less. Also the story in this film is very bland and uninteresting. I certainly hope the next one is better, Rated PG For Mild Peril.

1hr 22min/82min.