Holmes & Watson (2018) Poster

Devastatingly horrific
stevenfallonnyc27 December 2018
I admit, the reviews here at the IMDB inspired me to see this movie without exactly going to the theater, and check it out. I love "so bad it's good" movies, and when I come across a "so bad it's just bad" film, I like to see for myself just how bad.

Well, this is bad.

Did I say bad? I meant, unfathomably bad, as in you simply will not believe how incomprehensibly dreadful this utter garbage is. So void of any humor, wit, charm, heart, or talent whatsoever, if you actually pay money to see this craparama, you will most likely be enraged....at yourself, for taking a chance on this anyway, despite these reviews, and wasting good cash.

This is a film of immeasurable ineptitude. And I won't even discuss Will Ferrell too much - never have I seen any human being in my entire life as incredibly unfunny as he is in this movie. I'll leave that at that.

Whether for yourself, or as a couple, or as a family, there are infinitely more choices to spend that money on than seeing this. If you still want to see this, I suggest you either burn the money in the oven or toss in down the toilet and then go to sleep, because that's easier than going to see this film, with the same result. (Incidentally, I actually made it just halfway through.)

Maybe the most amazing thing is how this train wreck unbelievably passed through every step to actually have a theatrical release, and in almost three thousand theaters no less. You must, and I mean must, take heed with these reviews and save yourself the torture. This movie is an absolute colossal waste of time and money.
421 out of 518 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was wrong
angelinafpalmer1 January 2019
I always thought giving birth was the most painful thing I would ever experience. I was wrong. Watching 5 minutes of this movie was far more painful.
151 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Horrible
jeffyancey-6693226 December 2018
Really bad end to a wonderful Christmas day.

I laughed 2 or 3 times during the movie but the laughs were very forced. I wanted the movie to be funny. I really wanted to feel like it was worth my time/money but had I not paid to see this I would have left.

I'm 57 years old and this is by far the worst movie I've ever sat through. Almost no laughter in the theatre and tons of negative comments from others as we were leaving.

Really beyond me how this "movie" ever made it to the screen.

I was done bashing this movie but I just had to click a yes/no question as to whether this review contained spoilers. I have absolutely no idea how I could spoil this movie with a review. There is no plot to spoil. The Butler did it!? That may be a spoiler.....

There is almost no comedy. There really is no movie to review. WOW!
317 out of 420 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruined my popcorn.
daniellawsonrt27 December 2018
I love the experience of going to the movies, loading up with popcorn and Coca-Cola and sitting in big comfy chairs. It doesn't matter if the movie is good or bad. Then Holmes & Watson came along and changed all that. This film is a mess from start to finish, if you're expecting to see another Step Brothers or Talladega Nights, you will be sorely disappointed.
190 out of 265 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First movie I've ever walked out of
PinkOval26 December 2018
Never have I ever been so bored, disgusted, and repulsed by a movie. My family and I collectively decided to walk out about an hour in, realizing what a waste of time this film has been. There are so many better movies in theaters right now- please, please, please stay away from this hot garbage.
215 out of 310 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible, wasted a good Xmas visit with my kids
imdb-2328326 December 2018
This is a terrible movie. Not funny. The jokes and gags fall flat and why the Trump jokes, American gun jokes, women's pay joke, and general anti-American sentiment? Is this what is seen as funny in Hollywood?? Do not waste your time or money on this movie.
256 out of 405 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just One Redeeming Quality
kurtalderman27 December 2018
The movie was explosively bad. Other reviewers have said it, but it's so bad, it's worth stating again. There were a lot of people that made one bad decision after another to get this trash to the theatre. The film's inept writing, directing, and acting is really rather astonishing. The un-funny gags were telegraphed so badly you couldn't help but see the mediocrity coming, and when the gag came and went while the theatre went silent, I'm certain I've got allies in my review. I'm really disappointed because this movie could have been terrific and side splittingly funny but it missed badly at every level.

My biggest gripe, however, was what seemed to be an entire movie made so the writer, Etan Cohen, and others I'm sure, could go political. What a total s**t show. I go to movies as an escape, to enjoy my self, and to take a break from reality. Frankly I'm more than a little bothered having spent my money so Etan can tell me about his politics. I may or may not agree with him, but that's not the point. Do you see my point?

There's no spoilers here other than to say this is the worst movie I've ever paid to see; it's political, and I doubt there is anyone on screen I'll bet supporting again. Oh, the one redeeming quality? It's the amazing reclining leather chairs in the remodeled theatre, it was the only reason I stayed.
157 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dumpster Fire
reidiq26 December 2018
I wish I could rate this movie 0/10. Absolute waste of time. I tried to laugh but was forcing myself in hopes that it would get better.
143 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's actually happening with Hollywood comedies
andeemartin-8168531 December 2018
It's been ten years since Will Farrell and John C Reilly starred in a movie together. Their previous two outtings not only done well at the box office but are now considered to be classic. This movie must have been something many comedy fans have been waiting for... but what went wrong? I don't think I've read such bad reviews for quite sometime. Luckily or some may say unluckily I went to see it before I read anything about the movie. Honestly, I don't think the world needs another Sherlock Holmes spoof, it's been done to death almost as much as spoofing James Bond but I was in the mood for a comedy and this was really my only choice. Comedy at the cinema isn't as easy to come by nowadays I find, so seeing these two guys in a film together again I thought.... it can't be that bad. My honest opinion is... well it isn't that bad. Moments made me laugh, I felt it was paced well and although not as good as their last two movies I felt their fans would get something from it. I do however see why people are disappointed. Ferrell's portrait as Holmes, I can seeing being annoying to many, it's pretty crude for a 12 certificate (UK , guessing PG-13 in the US)..Mostly though I think is the advertising of the rest of the cast. Several actors names are on the posters, they appear in the trailer but are barely in it. Steve Coogan has a cameo at best. Fans of these actors will only come away disappointed. If they were unexpected,I think the audience would come away pleased with their appearances. Like when Bill Murray pops up in 'Zombieland' for example. Overall it made me chuckle a fair bit, which is the point of a comedy and I can't think of many films that have done thst for me this year. Most of the comedies we get are animated (lately far more laughs in a pixar than in a live action movie) or the odd random film like 'tag' which although a better made film than this, I dont think I laughed more. I do miss the days of looking forward to the latest movies from my favourite comic actors like Steve Martin, John Candy, Chevy Chase and even Adam Sandler. I saw Will Farrell as one of the last of this breed. It would be a shame for this misfired movie to ruin his career. I think in years to come it will be seen as more favourable. Also I couldn't help comparing it to the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore 'Hound of the baskervilles' another bomb with a great cast. Actually I say give that movie a go, you may realise this one isn't too bad after all. Hollywood comedy seems in a slump at the moment, we either need to not have our expectations too high or possibly throw movies the way of new talent? Maybe both. After this I'm not sure this pair will get the chance to make other film together. A shame.... who knows though they may need the money and the audience get the long awaited Stepbrothers 2. At least they tried something different I guess, remember the first 'Police Academy' was great but sequels aren't always the way forward.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
BAD MOVIE ALERT! AND NOT FUNNY!
devilish_charm26 December 2018
About an hour into the screening of this movie, more and more audiences started collecting their belongings and left the cinema. They were the wise ones, not wanting to waste another second of their precious time on this terrible and unfunny movie. I think Will Ferrell imagined this movie differently in his mind. But what is shown on screen is shockingly unfunny, irritating to watch, and oh so boring! Step brother this is not.
128 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than I thought!
adamlockyer96 January 2019
There's no denying it that this movie is pretty bad but its that good bad, you know like Sharknado. Ferrell and Reilly's accents were shocking, acting was terrible and the plot messy. Although some of the jokes actually had me laughing out loud, especially the post drinking scene, where Downey's Sherlock was lampooned. No where as good as Step Brothers but it's still enjoyable, if I were you switch your brain off before watching, you might enjoy it too.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Garbage
VegasB1826 December 2018
Holmes & Watson is easily the worst movie of the year and quite possibly competes for worst movie of all time. It's unyeildingly bad. The jokes are often recycled and every single one falls flat. The story wanders almost aimlessly and the production value is bottom of the barrel. There is seriously nothing redeeming about this movie. Save your money. This is no Step Brothers. This is pure unadulterated trash.
125 out of 204 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do Not Expect Another Step Brothers
mandonut128 December 2018
If you're looking for another Step Brothers quality movie, you will be disappointed. But I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting cheap, stupid laughs that Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly do so well; and that's what I got. One and done leave your brain at the door comedy. So I was pleased.
64 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why ruin Sherlock Holmes? Maybe the "Coen" Brothers should've made this film
jim4gl9 January 2019
I admit that I should've had lower expectations of this film, but Holmes and Watson are solid material. Guy Ritchie knows the formulaic Holmes and Watson and deliver laughs and cheers. I expected some level of respect for the great Sherlock Holmes character making both Holmes and Watson buffoons is a losing proposition. Some deserved laughs were garnered, some tongue and cheek plays worked, but this was mediocre on many levels. Good cast, costumes, scenery, film work, the writing was only mediocre and went for the cheap laugh. And the left leaning politics, no surprise there, if the Writer and Director had done their job of making a solid script and a cohesive film they could've thrown in their political views, but they're the opposition to good film.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
GARBAGE
laxplaya22626 December 2018
Waste of time & money. Stay home and watch Talladega Nights or Step brothers.

Awful forced humor.

Should've known by Will Ferrell's story on Jimmy Kimmell live, of Mark Strongs reaction to hearing about them playing Holmes & Watson, that this would be garbage.

Paper tiger cast at first sight and a true letdown.
109 out of 184 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish I could give this a 0.
morethanmerrick26 December 2018
Probably the worst film I have ever seen and I have seen Disaster Movie. Will Ferrell has join the Adam Sandler tier of fooling audiences and stealing their money. John C. Riley deserves better- he's an actual actor. Oh, and, spoiler alert, if you've seen Talladega Nights, you've seen Holmes and Watson. Can't wait for Red Letter Media to tear this film apart.
87 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than you would expect
gyotter5 January 2019
Reading Reviews for this movie before watching was a very big mistake, going into it thinking it would be a very big disappointment. I was very pleased with the film. The humor was hit or miss in the first 15-20 minutes but after that you'll barley have time to breathe between jokes! Will Ferrell did an amazing job as Sherlock Holmes, as he brings a lot of "stupid humor" and keeps the character of Sherlock not stupid. John C. Reilly was amazing in the role of John Watson as he had the best character arc in the film. The villain of the movie was good being barely in the film (but making sense in the context of the film) and a very well done twist at climax of the film was not predictable at all! Overall don't listen to the reviews that take this wacky comedy seriously, this was an enjoyable, laughable film.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
fordham-kelly5 January 2019
I have read so many bad reviews about this movie and it's obvious haters are going to hate.

I thought this movie was absolutely hilarious. If you loved Talladega Nights and Step Btothers, then go check it out.

Thanks for the laughs Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. I am looking forward to watching it again so I can pick up on the jokes I missed the first time.
14 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow! People Are Insane! Not THAT bad!
sclements7531 December 2018
This is not a great movie, but it is a pretty funny "stupid" little comedy. I think time will be good to this one. Watching Ferrell and Riley perform with English accents is worth the cost of admission itself. I wouldn't be surprised if the over-the-top negative responses are the work of Russian trolls:-)
28 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What point did the writers think this was funny?
HollywoodDayPlaya27 December 2018
Seriously. Absolutely awful. Then of course you've gotta interject the bitter feminism along with it. Oh, but what a coincidence, the women were the most unfunny part of this. Trump bashing. Wow, what a ground breaking concept. We get it, everyone hates the president. Ridiculously awful. Talledaga and Step Brothers were such classics. So disappointed.
93 out of 169 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious!!!
jchm-211439 January 2019
I've no idea why this film is attracting negative reviews. Personally I couldn't stop laughing. It is a continuous series of absurdist comedy sketches. Maybe you shouldn't expect a clear narrative from this film but just delight in its randomness. From the Victorian version of boys out on the lash to Watson's inappropriate touching of Queen Victoria, I couldn't stop laughing. Maybe it's a cultural thing and you get it more if you are from a UK background familiar with early Python or Spike Milligan but overall it doesn't feel too different to Anchorman - just in costume. Anyway, I loved it.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand the hate, folks.
chaoticnotgood2 January 2019
Its John C. Reilly and Will Ferell. Did everyone expect it to be serious? To me its of the same caliber as Talladega Nights. Wacky, Slapstick and just as good. If you know what to expect, you'll love it.
Loved It
ccarpenter-8774231 December 2018
I loved this film and non-stop laughter in the movie theater.
Critics are dumb
stonep-6399531 December 2018
I actually liked it, if you like Will Ferrell and John Rielly, you'll like it
Can't help but notice
Doloreshaz33 January 2019
Most of the hate is coming from people who feel the Trump jokes or gun jokes are anti-American. The movie is good. Don't let these humourless people tell you otherwise. If you normally like Reilly Ferrell then you'll find plenty to enjoy
38 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.