Holmes & Watson (2018) Poster

Pathetic-Awesome!
cyanidemercury16 March 2019
This was so pathetic...i'll give it a 9. Why? Because i think that they wanted people to vomit from the horribly bad film this was... Will F. doesnt disappoint in stupidity. Love that guy.
101 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute turd.
rodgerheise16 March 2019
Why did I give it an 8. I watched it stoned. You gotta love John and will.
69 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3.7 out of 10? Really? Absolutely not :)
myburningplacenta11 April 2019
So the 10 out of 10 rating is mostly to balance out the overall rating - 3,7 is just ridiculous. I mean go look for other movies on IMDB which still have 4 or 5 stars and are waaaaay worse than this one - trust me, you will find loads and lots of them :D

The movie has some really witty and funny humor in comparison to the usual hollywood "comedies" which are usually all about di**, fu**, su** and so on. Yes there is some crudeness here and there but overall Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly give a really funny pseudo british performance :) The way the dialogues are acted out are funny - full stop!

I also liked how the movie integrated many modern things and somehow made them Sherlocks invention or idea :D

Just go watch it and dont be turned down by de 3.7 rating. I would give this movie a fair 6.5-7 easy!
38 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's Everyone Complaining About?!
chambo-2123012 April 2019
Still one of the best comedy duos. Yes it's a silly movie but is a hysterical satire none the less. I'm usually pretty picky but this movie had me laughing out load from the get go. It's a goofy comedy and if you go into this film excepting just that you won't be disappointed!
35 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Movie? On the Contrary
TheMovieGoof12 April 2019
This movie was hilarious, I don't know why it received harsh ratings. People take comedies too seriously and lack imagination. Holmes and Watson lives up to Talladega Nights and Step Brothers. If you are wondering if it is worth watching then the answer is YES.
32 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Elementary my dear!!
matthewrings-039256 April 2019
Not sure why all the negative review, but if you loved Anchorman you will laugh and enjoy this flick! These 2 together are the Laurel and Hardy of our generation!
52 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Perfect comedy
israelssonc30 March 2019
I don't know what the heck is wrong with people. Do NOT listen to all the kids reviews, they don't even know who Will Ferrell is! He is one of the best comedy actors & he is brilliant in this movie! I don't know what people want in a good comedy nowadays, they sure can't appriciate a GOOD comedy! Maybe I'm to old I donno, but listen to me - Watch this movie & you will not be dissapointed!
75 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Devastatingly horrific
stevenfallonnyc27 December 2018
I admit, the reviews here at the IMDB inspired me to see this movie without exactly going to the theater, and check it out. I love "so bad it's good" movies, and when I come across a "so bad it's just bad" film, I like to see for myself just how bad.

Well, this is bad.

Did I say bad? I meant, unfathomably bad, as in you simply will not believe how incomprehensibly dreadful this utter garbage is. So void of any humor, wit, charm, heart, or talent whatsoever, if you actually pay money to see this craparama, you will most likely be enraged....at yourself, for taking a chance on this anyway, despite these reviews, and wasting good cash.

This is a film of immeasurable ineptitude. And I won't even discuss Will Ferrell too much - never have I seen any human being in my entire life as incredibly unfunny as he is in this movie. I'll leave that at that.

Whether for yourself, or as a couple, or as a family, there are infinitely more choices to spend that money on than seeing this. If you still want to see this, I suggest you either burn the money in the oven or toss in down the toilet and then go to sleep, because that's easier than going to see this film, with the same result. (Incidentally, I actually made it just halfway through.)

Maybe the most amazing thing is how this train wreck unbelievably passed through every step to actually have a theatrical release, and in almost three thousand theaters no less. You must, and I mean must, take heed with these reviews and save yourself the torture. This movie is an absolute colossal waste of time and money.
665 out of 992 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece in many ways.
reinprn-2970315 March 2019
This movie is a parodie about Sherlock Holmes movies. And a damn good one. If you are fan of John C Reilly and Will Ferell (like i am) and a fan of Doyle and Holmes and Watson stories (like me), then this is a movie just for you (me!). Every joke and scene is a full joy and those mockings about previous Sherlock movies is very well succeeded. I laughed and had fun. Btw ive seen many Sherlock movies and series, saw many Reilly and Ferell ones, always looking like, are they fading... and have seen previous comedies about Holmes, they were not very funny, was hopin when will someone do a good and funny one. But now they did this and they did it, its a jackpot for fans and for them (and to myself). Only complaint i have is about the end. Why the end? When giving so much fun, who thinks about lets end this? This is not normal behaviour and someone should go to see a someone. If you are new to real comedies what can make piss in your pants, dont be disturbed, piss in pants durng a good comedie movie is ok, really, nobody can smell it coz others have piss in pants too. And its ok if your stomache hurts later. If not, then wasnt a good one. Trust me i know what im talking about.
137 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's as good as you should expect from Farrell and Reilly
alexc-8667810 April 2019
You who's thinking if you should watch the film or not because it as bad reviews .. Let me tell you something.

If you're looking to see a funny movie that's going to make you laugh at some points then it's the right movie for you. Don't expect the movie to be something else than it is, a Ferrell Movie. Not the greatest but still enjoyable.

Real rating (6.5/10)
34 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They're back at it!
matt-001348 April 2019
Funny as hell! Did not disappoint! Love these two guys together!
39 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why all the negativity??
thewootts14 March 2019
Great film, perfect watching if you want a bit of fun.
39 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An absolute scream
garybunny20 March 2019
To all the reviews giving 1,s and poor reviews. You are either already dead or the most miserable souls on planet earth and your spouse definitely hate you. Will Ferrell and John c Reilly are both on fire here,the laughs are literally 2-3 a minute stupidity reigns in this film so don't take it to seriously and enjoy.👌🏻
85 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In the spirit of great comedy teams I counter your 1 star rating!
irishcaliber-16 April 2019
In the spirit of classic comedy teams this movie is brilliant in its own right. So many reviewers admitting that they only watched 5-10 minutes of the movie then being so arrogant and close minded to rank this movie with one star. Ludicrous, I say! This movie reminds me of a childhood classic with Don Knotts and Tim Conway, The Private Eye's. I think we could see more of these slapstick films from this comedy duo if they'd cut the budget down a bit, like quiet a bit. I'm pretty sure these guys can maintain the physical humor without all the C.G., just make these films to have fun and entertain us all the while still making a few bucks for the studio in the process. If you had ever had the pleasure of listening to the audio commentary by Tim Conway on the Private Eye's DVD you'd understand where these kinds of comedic duos are coming from. They really enjoy making these movies for their fans, and I for one like the way these two guys play comedy off each other. Well, I hope to see a Holmes and Watson 2; Coming to America, perhaps even running into Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall across the saloon. Ha Ha Ha, I know bad but that's why these two are making the big bucks and I'm just here reviewing the movie...lol.
42 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very funny :-)
maysider18 March 2019
It's a movie about sketches and parody, very funny
88 out of 127 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What's actually happening with Hollywood comedies
andeemartin-8168531 December 2018
It's been ten years since Will Farrell and John C Reilly starred in a movie together. Their previous two outtings not only done well at the box office but are now considered to be classic. This movie must have been something many comedy fans have been waiting for... but what went wrong? I don't think I've read such bad reviews for quite sometime. Luckily or some may say unluckily I went to see it before I read anything about the movie. Honestly, I don't think the world needs another Sherlock Holmes spoof, it's been done to death almost as much as spoofing James Bond but I was in the mood for a comedy and this was really my only choice. Comedy at the cinema isn't as easy to come by nowadays I find, so seeing these two guys in a film together again I thought.... it can't be that bad. My honest opinion is... well it isn't that bad. Moments made me laugh, I felt it was paced well and although not as good as their last two movies I felt their fans would get something from it. I do however see why people are disappointed. Ferrell's portrait as Holmes, I can seeing being annoying to many, it's pretty crude for a 12 certificate (UK , guessing PG-13 in the US)..Mostly though I think is the advertising of the rest of the cast. Several actors names are on the posters, they appear in the trailer but are barely in it. Steve Coogan has a cameo at best. Fans of these actors will only come away disappointed. If they were unexpected,I think the audience would come away pleased with their appearances. Like when Bill Murray pops up in 'Zombieland' for example. Overall it made me chuckle a fair bit, which is the point of a comedy and I can't think of many films that have done thst for me this year. Most of the comedies we get are animated (lately far more laughs in a pixar than in a live action movie) or the odd random film like 'tag' which although a better made film than this, I dont think I laughed more. I do miss the days of looking forward to the latest movies from my favourite comic actors like Steve Martin, John Candy, Chevy Chase and even Adam Sandler. I saw Will Farrell as one of the last of this breed. It would be a shame for this misfired movie to ruin his career. I think in years to come it will be seen as more favourable. Also I couldn't help comparing it to the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore 'Hound of the baskervilles' another bomb with a great cast. Actually I say give that movie a go, you may realise this one isn't too bad after all. Hollywood comedy seems in a slump at the moment, we either need to not have our expectations too high or possibly throw movies the way of new talent? Maybe both. After this I'm not sure this pair will get the chance to make other film together. A shame.... who knows though they may need the money and the audience get the long awaited Stepbrothers 2. At least they tried something different I guess, remember the first 'Police Academy' was great but sequels aren't always the way forward.
151 out of 225 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Fabulous!
josh-osullivan9917 March 2019
I really don't care that the hoi polloi, American Teenagers mostly, will have had no idea whasoevet as to what is going on during this incredibly humerous indulgence in Victorian polysyllabic obfuscation & ancient retro wonderfully British humour! Well done Mr Coen & do not be discombobulated by the awful 3.5 rating on here coz I am giving it a 10 and watching it again immediately after my morning erbal smoking break! LOL but true! :)
109 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic!
adg-4877715 April 2019
Fans of comedy will get it. Fans of Ferrell and Reilly will be entertained. I laughed for the entire 90 min. Thank you!
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slapstick fun
iamguyster3 April 2019
Not only did this film live up the expectations that a Ferrell film would be full of idiotic, slapstick humour but it also made fun of MAGA lunatics, which is always a bonus.
41 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a great comedy
anitawarnes9 January 2019
I really can't believe all the negative comments on here. This is a great comedy from Will Ferrell and John C Reilly. It is slapstick and silly but just what you expect from these two. It isn't supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Sherlock Holmes and I read one comment that read it isn't 'historically accurate'. No it isn't. It isn't meant to be. It's a COMEDY. I would say if you love slapstick and have enjoyed the other films from these guys then go and see it. I found it very funny and entertaining and that's all it's meant to be.
162 out of 244 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A masterpiece of silly, fun humour!
bon_eh20 March 2019
You will not like this movie if you are: 1. a Trump supporter that gets butthurt over a small 2 minute throw-away joke. 2. A gun-toting American "patriot" who gets butthurt over some light-hearted jokes about America 3. A humourless (and might I say, obsolete) movie reviewer, who never gives comedies good reviews anyway (unless they are "indie" that is). 4. An obsessive fan of BBC's Sherlock who holds that version as sacred and sees anything having fun with the Holmes story as sacrilege. 5. Someone who just doesn't know how to have fun.

You will like this film if you are: 1. Someone who knows how to have fun. 2. Someone who understands and enjoys this kind of light-hearted, silly humour. 3. Probably not American, and especially not a Trump supporter. 4. A fan of previous Ferrell movies like Step Brothers etc. 5. Just a stand-up, awesome person.
95 out of 139 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Step Brothers
asoho4 January 2019
Don't listen to all the Haters.. I loved this movie it was like Step Brothers.. Rotten Tomatoes knows nothing about Movies they are idiot's they gave Twilight 50 or 60 percent good rating The worst movie of all time!!!!.. If you love The Other Guys or Step Brothers you will Love this Movie..
119 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great SATIRE, not for the easily offended.
cerberuxmusic16 March 2019
Let me start by saying I have NEVER been a fan of Will Ferrell, and seeing all the negative reviews I went into this movie with very low expectations. And I was pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of the hay day of slapstick satirical comedy. It felt right at home with other films of this nature, like The Pink Panther, Monty Python, and even some of Mel Brooks' films, albeit not quite as good as those.

It never took itself too seriously and was very honest with the humor it wanted to get across. Satire and slapstick abound, the jokes were great and actually pretty clever and well paced.

Will Ferrell did a great job portraying a satirically narcissistic Holmes and John C. Reilly did an amazing job at playing a "never good enough" Watson. All of the supporting characters were well cast and never felt out of place, or forced and added a great level of humor to supplement the titular characters.

All in all, it's a satire by every definition of the word, and if you don't get that, or get offended by everything, stay away from it. Otherwise, turn your brain off and enjoy the ride, it's worth it!
78 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good
dariutamariuta24 March 2019
Big fan of all Sherlock films and series. This was very funny and interesting, actors were very good. Recommend watching this.
53 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There are some miserable people out there.....
rickytravis6816 March 2019
Forget all the haters, this is the perfect Friday night antidote to the working week. Unashamedly crass and politically incorrect, grab a few beers and stick this on. Otherwise stick to your PC, snowflake, all inclusive mediocrity, after all it's your miserable life!
76 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.