Holmes & Watson (2018) Poster

What's actually happening with Hollywood comedies
andeemartin-8168531 December 2018
It's been ten years since Will Farrell and John C Reilly starred in a movie together. Their previous two outtings not only done well at the box office but are now considered to be classic. This movie must have been something many comedy fans have been waiting for... but what went wrong? I don't think I've read such bad reviews for quite sometime. Luckily or some may say unluckily I went to see it before I read anything about the movie. Honestly, I don't think the world needs another Sherlock Holmes spoof, it's been done to death almost as much as spoofing James Bond but I was in the mood for a comedy and this was really my only choice. Comedy at the cinema isn't as easy to come by nowadays I find, so seeing these two guys in a film together again I thought.... it can't be that bad. My honest opinion is... well it isn't that bad. Moments made me laugh, I felt it was paced well and although not as good as their last two movies I felt their fans would get something from it. I do however see why people are disappointed. Ferrell's portrait as Holmes, I can seeing being annoying to many, it's pretty crude for a 12 certificate (UK , guessing PG-13 in the US)..Mostly though I think is the advertising of the rest of the cast. Several actors names are on the posters, they appear in the trailer but are barely in it. Steve Coogan has a cameo at best. Fans of these actors will only come away disappointed. If they were unexpected,I think the audience would come away pleased with their appearances. Like when Bill Murray pops up in 'Zombieland' for example. Overall it made me chuckle a fair bit, which is the point of a comedy and I can't think of many films that have done thst for me this year. Most of the comedies we get are animated (lately far more laughs in a pixar than in a live action movie) or the odd random film like 'tag' which although a better made film than this, I dont think I laughed more. I do miss the days of looking forward to the latest movies from my favourite comic actors like Steve Martin, John Candy, Chevy Chase and even Adam Sandler. I saw Will Farrell as one of the last of this breed. It would be a shame for this misfired movie to ruin his career. I think in years to come it will be seen as more favourable. Also I couldn't help comparing it to the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore 'Hound of the baskervilles' another bomb with a great cast. Actually I say give that movie a go, you may realise this one isn't too bad after all. Hollywood comedy seems in a slump at the moment, we either need to not have our expectations too high or possibly throw movies the way of new talent? Maybe both. After this I'm not sure this pair will get the chance to make other film together. A shame.... who knows though they may need the money and the audience get the long awaited Stepbrothers 2. At least they tried something different I guess, remember the first 'Police Academy' was great but sequels aren't always the way forward.
117 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Devastatingly horrific
stevenfallonnyc27 December 2018
I admit, the reviews here at the IMDB inspired me to see this movie without exactly going to the theater, and check it out. I love "so bad it's good" movies, and when I come across a "so bad it's just bad" film, I like to see for myself just how bad.

Well, this is bad.

Did I say bad? I meant, unfathomably bad, as in you simply will not believe how incomprehensibly dreadful this utter garbage is. So void of any humor, wit, charm, heart, or talent whatsoever, if you actually pay money to see this craparama, you will most likely be enraged....at yourself, for taking a chance on this anyway, despite these reviews, and wasting good cash.

This is a film of immeasurable ineptitude. And I won't even discuss Will Ferrell too much - never have I seen any human being in my entire life as incredibly unfunny as he is in this movie. I'll leave that at that.

Whether for yourself, or as a couple, or as a family, there are infinitely more choices to spend that money on than seeing this. If you still want to see this, I suggest you either burn the money in the oven or toss in down the toilet and then go to sleep, because that's easier than going to see this film, with the same result. (Incidentally, I actually made it just halfway through.)

Maybe the most amazing thing is how this train wreck unbelievably passed through every step to actually have a theatrical release, and in almost three thousand theaters no less. You must, and I mean must, take heed with these reviews and save yourself the torture. This movie is an absolute colossal waste of time and money.
592 out of 803 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I was wrong
angelinafpalmer1 January 2019
I always thought giving birth was the most painful thing I would ever experience. I was wrong. Watching 5 minutes of this movie was far more painful.
343 out of 493 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely Horrible
jeffyancey-6693226 December 2018
Really bad end to a wonderful Christmas day.

I laughed 2 or 3 times during the movie but the laughs were very forced. I wanted the movie to be funny. I really wanted to feel like it was worth my time/money but had I not paid to see this I would have left.

I'm 57 years old and this is by far the worst movie I've ever sat through. Almost no laughter in the theatre and tons of negative comments from others as we were leaving.

Really beyond me how this "movie" ever made it to the screen.

I was done bashing this movie but I just had to click a yes/no question as to whether this review contained spoilers. I have absolutely no idea how I could spoil this movie with a review. There is no plot to spoil. The Butler did it!? That may be a spoiler.....

There is almost no comedy. There really is no movie to review. WOW!
371 out of 570 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Step Brothers
asoho4 January 2019
Don't listen to all the Haters.. I loved this movie it was like Step Brothers.. Rotten Tomatoes knows nothing about Movies they are idiot's they gave Twilight 50 or 60 percent good rating The worst movie of all time!!!!.. If you love The Other Guys or Step Brothers you will Love this Movie..
61 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny comedy
Mihai19834 January 2019
I would begin this review by saying that everything is relative, let's think of abstract art, for example, at first glance you would be temped to say it was painted by a 5 year old child, but because it received the appreciation of some art critics, people have seen this current in a positive light, I think the same thing happened here, people read the negative reviews and the subconscious rated the film as a bad one from start. I personally amused and laughed a lot, is not this the purpose of a comedy ?! If you have a cinematic culture, you're already familiar with the Will Ferrell style and you know the expectations, if you are alergic to peanuts don't eat them. Haters gonna hate anyway.
134 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lighten up- movie is as funny as Monty Python
Humphreywashere5 January 2019
Just enjoy the craziness. We really liked it. Analysing funny stuff in the way some reviewers seem to be doing is so ridiculously clinical. Lighten up. Have fun.
79 out of 122 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First movie I've ever walked out of
PinkOval26 December 2018
Never have I ever been so bored, disgusted, and repulsed by a movie. My family and I collectively decided to walk out about an hour in, realizing what a waste of time this film has been. There are so many better movies in theaters right now- please, please, please stay away from this hot garbage.
296 out of 491 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Serious sense of humour needed
richard-543-6833651 January 2019
If you enjoyed watching Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies, you will love this film. Peter Sellers is long gone but his spirit lives on in this film. ("That's not my minky.")This movie uses the same playbook: satire, slapstick humour and buffoonery. If you try to take it seriously or look at it as insightful social criticism you miss the point. There are so many clever references in this movie that it's hard to keep track of them; Like the elephant man in the waiting room. This movie is a blizzard of gags, anachronisms and laugh at itself episodes. The part where Holmes visualizes how to take out the giant wrestler is masterful; Reminiscent of the scene when Indiana Jones shot the scimitar wielding assassin and poking fun at Roberr Downey Jr.'s Sherlock. This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. On the other hand, if you take yourself seriously, you probably won't like it.
104 out of 164 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's not as bad as people say
possum-1873330 December 2018
Don't get me wrong, it's not for everybody but it has some funny scenes. I liked it and I'm sure others did too
133 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
dogma-557411 January 2019
If you have a sense of humour and love a good Sherlock spoof then it's for you. I love Will Ferrell and step brothers crack me up . 10/10 all the way
72 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love it!
waite-867889 January 2019
Honestly, I don't get how everyone doesn't get it?! Love both of these guys and I died laughing! Huge fan of Will and John and the movie was pretty solid. Definitely not Step Brother but didn't expect it to be!
87 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just a great comedy
anitawarnes9 January 2019
I really can't believe all the negative comments on here. This is a great comedy from Will Ferrell and John C Reilly. It is slapstick and silly but just what you expect from these two. It isn't supposed to be an accurate portrayal of Sherlock Holmes and I read one comment that read it isn't 'historically accurate'. No it isn't. It isn't meant to be. It's a COMEDY. I would say if you love slapstick and have enjoyed the other films from these guys then go and see it. I found it very funny and entertaining and that's all it's meant to be.
94 out of 148 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Would give 11 stars if I could
mlgiandinoto2 January 2019
Never in my life have I seen someone try to cut up queen vic, snort coke, and perform the 'Ghost' sex scene on a corpse all within an hour. While it might not have a "plot" or "writing" it was nice to see ralph fiennes in his place as an actor who got a maximum of three lines and existed only to Smirk. This film is only improved by the fact that Pretentious snobs (who cream their own eclair) hate it. In short, it was absolutely awful and I loved it. Will see again tomorrow.
62 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ruined my popcorn.
daniellawsonrt27 December 2018
I love the experience of going to the movies, loading up with popcorn and Coca-Cola and sitting in big comfy chairs. It doesn't matter if the movie is good or bad. Then Holmes & Watson came along and changed all that. This film is a mess from start to finish, if you're expecting to see another Step Brothers or Talladega Nights, you will be sorely disappointed.
253 out of 422 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious
fordham-kelly5 January 2019
I have read so many bad reviews about this movie and it's obvious haters are going to hate.

I thought this movie was absolutely hilarious. If you loved Talladega Nights and Step Btothers, then go check it out.

Thanks for the laughs Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. I am looking forward to watching it again so I can pick up on the jokes I missed the first time.
131 out of 212 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way better than people are giving it credit for
danisfarm3 January 2019
Normally, I would give this movie a 6 but to see that it was rated so low bothers me, so I'm giving it a 10. I actually laughed before the movie started! That's worth a 5 right there! Yes, it's no Brother Where Art Thou..but nothing is. :) fun silly movie
60 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Was pretty funny
robbyusasz47 January 2019
If you go in with low expectations it's pretty good Doesn't deserve the hate
92 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lots of laughs good movie
cenurian6 January 2019
It was good I don't know what everyone else hated about it
92 out of 147 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get a grip quasiintelects
lkristallis-461-7029066 February 2019
If you liked step Brothers and talatega nights then you'd like this one too. Period
36 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I really liked it
stevehurcombe31 December 2018
Very British style humour, I liked the way it lampooned the BBC version. It's different but fun.
115 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not understand all the hate?
wilsonmike-2939231 December 2018
So I am assuming this movie is one of those, you either love it or hate it. I do not get why there are so many people hating on this movie. This movie was amazing. It featured the classic comedy duo of Will Ferrell, and John Riley, and was hysterically funny. I will admit some of the jokes there were corny, or broke the 4th wall, but i personally find that funny. Even then the movie in and of its self was great. I guess it's no great Gatsby, but instead a comedy based on the original work of Sherlock Holmes. Honestly I think this was one of the better movies i have ever watched.
120 out of 196 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe everything.
weareonlymortal4 January 2019
Sometimes I wonder if people just write bad reviews without watching the movie.
78 out of 124 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Those who love Anchorman 1 and Zoolander 1, will LOVE this movie!
amreltaweel15 January 2019
A very very funny, classic Will Ferrell movie.. Those who understand and appreciate the comedy style of comedians such as Will Ferrel, Andy Samberg, will definitely love this movie. I sincerely recommend
82 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the haters
andyadams-112 March 2019
Anyone who would go through the time to complain about this movie has other issues to deal with first . It is exactly what i expected. It was funny with great the one liners. Good for a laugh .
29 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.