Add Full Plot
AFI'S 10 TOP 10, a new chapter in AFIs Award-winning AFI's 100 Years... series, counts down the 10 greatest films from 10 classic American film genres, including animation, fantasy, science fiction, gangster, western, sports, romantic comedy, courtroom drama, mystery and epic films.
In this three-hour primetime television event, originally broadcast June 17, 2008 on CBS, todays top film artists help count down the 10 greatest movies in 10 classic genres as chosen by a blue-ribbon panel of leaders from the film community.
Did You Know?
The American Film Institute has given the following definitions for the top 10 genres:
- "Animation": A genre in which the film's images are primarily created by computer or hand and the characters are voiced by actors.
- "Romantic Comedy": A genre in which the development of a romance leads to comic situations.
- "Western": A genre set in the American West that embodies the spirit, the struggle and the demise of the new frontier.
- "Sports": A genre with protagonists who play athletics or other games of competition.
- "Mystery": A genre that revolves around the solution of a crime.
- "Fantasy": A genre where live-action characters inhabit imagined settings and/or experience situations that transcend the rules of the natural world.
- "Science Fiction": A genre that marries a scientific or technological premise with imaginative speculation.
- "Gangster": A genre that centers on organized crime or maverick criminals in a twentieth century setting.
- "Courtroom Drama": A genre in which a system of justice plays a critical role in the film's narrative.
- "Epic": A genre set in a cinematic interpretation of the past.
Features In Cold Blood
17 June 2008 (USA)
See more »
Also Known As:
AFI's 10 Top 10: America's 10 Greatest Films in 10 Classic Genres
See more »
See full technical specs