Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) Poster

Much more of a Sonic movie this time
MissSimonetta9 April 2022
The first Sonic movie was surprisingly competent. This one is even better, incorporating additional elements from the games and sticking to more of an action-adventure plot. It's a kid's movie through and through (way more toilet humor this go-around), but a fun one that never takes itself too seriously. Everyone in my theater was having a great time with it.

As with the original, Jim Carrey steals the show as Eggman. This man is 60 years old and yet he has more verve than I do! He's so energetic he sometimes resembles a cartoon more than Sonic, Knuckles, or Tails! While I respect his desire to retire, I do hope he holds on and does the third movie-- there would be such a void without him there.
106 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Saw the 4DX early showing which was more intense than expected and so much fun!
UniqueParticle7 April 2022
I never knew there was mist in the 4DK experience that was added excitement to a wildly entertaining movie! Sonic 2 is better, bigger budgeted and way more action than part 1. This is an ultimate adventure story of friendship, goofiness, and the bad guys take it up a notch. I loved this sequel quite a bit, I like how the audience clapped at the end bit.
61 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Video Game Movie easily!
AdrenalinDragon1 April 2022
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is basically everything the first Sonic movie should have been. While the first film wasn't bad per se and perfectly watchable, it was very basic and clearly limited in scope and budget. Still alright overall.

Thankfully, with a sequel greenlit it feels like this time the writers and director could do much more. The CGI game characters get more of the spotlight than the Human characters, the jokes land better and there's just much more going on here that fans will recognise from the games. With Tails and Knuckles added into the roster, it adds more character dynamic and banter that fleshes them out more in the story.

Robotnik also gets to shine more too thanks to Jim Carrey's performance and having more gadgets and locations to juggle with. The weakest parts of the movie are when Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Robotnik aren't on screen, but the scenes are still perfectly watchable and better than almost everything in the first film. There's more locations too and gimmicks to play around with in the movie as well.

Without spoilers, fans will be most happy with Sonic 2 and even people who aren't a fan of Sonic will still get a kick out of it. Although this ain't saying much, I can confidently say this is the best Video Game Movie I've seen easily. It really felt like they put their soul and effort into it and kids will have a blast with this. Don't forget to stay to the end for a surprise. There will definitely be a third film coming.

7.5/10.
80 out of 105 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So much fun!
aidanratesmovies9 April 2022
Incredibly entertaining and surprisingly sweet- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 improves upon its predecessor by expanding on its worlds and dynamic- executing itself better and better each step of the way. First off, I absolutely love the look of this film. Famously the Sonic CGI was replaced in the last film after an incredibly negative and honestly valid response for the characters original design- and consequently its secondary design could feel a bit rushed at times considering they changed the films main character for a film within 3 months. Not to say it was bad, but it was definitely noticeable how fast they had accomplished this fact before. With this film however, the CGI is absolutely fantastic. Of course I love a more well done and thought out Sonic design, but man do I absolutely love the look of Knuckles in this film and even the look of Sonic's signature sidekick Tails. The expansion of the world in the Sonic universe is also breathtaking, truly making my younger self's dreams come true by finally seeing this universe on the big screen. The film is also incredibly funny and even absurd at times, never taking itself too seriously, and remembering this is a film about a Blue intergalactic hedgehog- focused on fun and heart. Speaking of heart, the film was oddly moving and quite cute in its family sort of setting background with Marsden's returning character and I really enjoyed the dynamic they expanded upon with the human characters as well. Heck, even Jim Carrey's iconic villain seemed a lot better this time around, allowing Eggman to lose his mind, and therefore allowing Carrey to do what he does best. It has a few subpar moments, and a few ones that stick out, but in the end- I enjoyed the heck out of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and I honestly can't wait to watch it again.

My Rating: 9.1/10.
40 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jim Carrey dials his humor up to 11
DarkVulcan2911 April 2022
A delightful follow up to Sonic the Hedgehog(2020), for anybody that are fans of Sonic, where Tails and Knuckles make an appearance, what fans have been waiting for. And it is fun film for the whole family, and has great effects and good characters, and I also like that everybody much shines here not just Sonic.

Now I'll bet Jim Carrey improvised all of his lines, it's like the filmmakers just let Jim Carrey do his thing, cause I'll bet they thought it was funnier than the script. You see he's really milking it for all it's worth.
37 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterpiece of a sequel!
mindlessmoviemaster1 April 2022
Don't believe the critic's they are still mad the first film made more then any of the Disney films that have came out in the past 3 years. Even made more then boring Encanto that some how won on Oscar. Anyways if you want a movie made for adults and children to enjoy this is the film for you. Jim Is hilarious as always. Anyways if you loved the first you will surely love this movie as well.
67 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a vastly superior sequel to the first adaptation.
msbreviews4 April 2022
If you enjoy reading my Spoiler-Free thoughts, please follow my blog to read my full review :)

"Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a vastly superior sequel to the first adaptation.

Jeff Fowler works with his screenwriting team to fix some of the issues with the original flick, successfully managing to create a much less corporate work, more focused on Sonic and, this time, also Tails and Knuckles, in addition to putting humans aside in a subplot that, even so, still bothered more than it should.

Taking advantage of phenomenal voice acting from the cast, as well as an already iconic performance by Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik, entertainment levels soar tremendously as the action-adventure sequences amaze viewers with praiseworthy animation and visual effects, as well as an engaging main narrative that expands on the origin of the hedgehogs while simultaneously developing the same characters.

Fun for kids and adults alike."

Rating: B.
39 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's fun that's all it needs to be
cthirlby1 April 2022
It's a blast filled with cringe jokes and some actually funny ones. Maybe just a bit too long but I didn't mind too much. The additional new characters in the movie were great too. What I love most is that there seems to be a lot of love and fun put in when making these films and you can see that when watching it.
42 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Sonic adventure
legobuilderpro9 April 2022
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) is a great sequel and might be better than the first movie.

Ben Schwartz, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, and Idris Elba were all great as Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. Sonic and Tails were great together and had a cute friendship.

Knuckles was funny in how he didn't understand most things but he is tough and wants to complete his quest for the Master Emerald.

Jim Carrey was still great as Dr. Robotnik/Eggman, he is still funny and gives a over the top performance that shows he is having fun with it.

The action scenes are fun and awesome seeing with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles interacting off each other. Especially the Sonic vs Knuckles fight, it is worth seeing on the big screen.

The 3rd act is amazing and fun while also having Easter eggs from the games that Sonic fans will recognize and find funny. Also the different locations they go to are nicely shot.

The after credits scene is amazing and will get you excited for the future of the Sonic movie series. Sonic fans will love it.

The movie is fun, funny, and has epic moments that are worth seeing in the theater. The characters are likable and the human characters like James Marsden were also great and funny.
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sonic Is Back! With New Characters, Major Plot Twists, Mind-Blowing Adventures, And Tons Of Laughs
rannynm6 April 2022
The wild, fun and adventurous blue hedgehog we all love, Sonic a.k.a. Blue Justice, is back in his new movie, Sonic the Hedgehog 2! This film has new character appearances, major plot twists, mind-blowing adventures, and tons of laughs throughout it. It's great that this sequel is one of those movies you can enjoy without seeing the original; however, since it refers to different scenes from the first one, you may want to watch the original first.

In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Dr. Ivo Robotnik, or Dr. Eggman as Sonic calls him (Jim Carrey), returns to Earth with a new ally, Knuckles (Idris Elba), in hopes of finding a magical gem that holds the ultimate power of the universe. All that stands in their way is Sonic (Ben Schwartz) and his new partner in crime, Tails (Colleen O'Shaughnessey). It's a battle of good and bad to see who will reach the emerald first and win in the end.

The main characters are Sonic, Dr. Robotnik, Tails and Knuckles. I love how this film introduces characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and they just fit in seamlessly. One of the voice actors who surprised me is Idris Elba. His voice is the perfect match to portray Knuckle's strong and confident personality. My favorite part is when Tom Wachowski (James Marsden) and Maddie Wachowski (Tika Sumpter) are at Rachel's wedding and need to open a portal for Sonic; Tom realizes he may have mistaken the wedding ring for one of Sonic's golden rings. It adds some hilarious adventure to the wedding. Kudos to Junkie XL for keeping an "old school" feel throughout the film with songs such as It's Tricky by Run D. M. C. And Here Comes the Hotstepper by Ini Kamoze.

This film sheds light on the importance of having family and friends in your life. They will always have your back and keep you on the right path in life. Sonic and the other characters experience different obstacles that teach them the true definition of a family, even if they come as friends.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is out of this world. I rate it 5 out of 5 stars and recommend it for kids ages 8 to 18, plus adults. The "battle of the gem" takes place in theaters on April 8, 2022. Be sure to stay for the after-credits movie scene. By Tiana S., KIDS FIRST!
26 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fun Time at the Movies, Plain and Simple
kjproulx13 April 2022
Having enjoyed the Sonic the Hedgehog video games throughout the years and also having enjoyed the first film in 2020, I was curious where they would go with a sequel. Now playing in theatres, I would say that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is about just as enjoyable as its predecessor. Everything I liked about the first film is doubled up on here which was a nice treat, but new issues are also present. I don't go into films like this hoping for some masterful piece of filmmaking, but I do question when a creative decision just feels off. Here are my mostly positive thoughts on Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

After being banished to the Mushroom Planet, Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) forms a new ally in Knuckles (Idris Elba). Returning to Earth with his new companion, he once again seeks out Sonic. The only addition however is that he wishes to find the chaos emerald, which holds "ultimate power." Sonic (Ben Schwartz) teams up with a new ally of his own in Tails (Colleen O'Shaughnessey) to search for it as well. This film becomes both a treasure hunt and villain showdown, which was fun to see. It doesn't get much simpler in terms of storytelling for a film such as this, but I thought it was well done.

On top of having fun with the story itself, I also found myself impressed with how witty the film was with its dialogue. I laughed at multiple puns and Jim Carrey's portrayal is once again great, if not even better. What did bog the film down though was a portion of the film that took place in Hawai'i. I understand continuing the parent storyline with both James Marsden and Tika Sumpter, but why they go to Hawai'i and why so much time is focused on secondary characters when it ultimately amounts to nothing to move the story forward was beyond me. Sure, these scenes had their moments and I didn't hate them, but they felt out of place for this film. Taking this out would leave no impact and make the film feel much better-paced.

Overall, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 delivers on all of its promises. It's a film for both kids and adults that doesn't take itself overly seriously (only when it needs to), and is also just a pure blast of energy from start to finish. I never once found myself bored, other than that major story detour, and that's all I really wanted from this sequel. It's bright, vibrant, energetic, and delivers just the right amount of emotion without feeling overdone. The setup for a third film does excite me and I will gladly watch the next instalment. There's nothing all that special about these movies, but I have fun watching them. Especially if you enjoyed the first movie, I recommend checking this one out. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is now playing in theatres.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bigger, bolder, and awesome.
cruise0115 April 2022
4.5 out of 5 stars.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is a really good action adventure film that adults and children will enjoy. It is a bigger and more epic sequel to the original. Fans of the game series will love. The story is bigger. Taking Sonic and Tails on a adventure for the emerald which Robotnik and Knuckles is after.

The film does have a lot of action sequences that are bigger and intense. The visual effects are outstanding. The new characters are fun addition like Tails and Knuckles. Robotnik goes through some changes which fans of the game series will love. Especially during the climax with his giant robot battling Sonic and Tails.

The cast did great with there roles. The voice talent also did good. The film does have some fun humor. And some cheesy humor which is an eye roll. With the scope of the film with its action. Story and humor. It is forgiven.

The film does have a mid credit scene that sets up for a sequel. This film is one fun action packed sequel that goes bigger.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
And Once Again... The Critics Are Wrong
breneff31 March 2022
I'm genuinely confused on why critics are going out of their way to try and review these films as if they were trying to be Gone with the Wind. For me personally I felt like this was one of the better video game movies I have ever seen. The addition of the other video game characters and only make this 1000 times more entertaining than the first one. I also felt like the rivalry between sonic and knuckles really worked and you can tell that there was a lot of animosity between the characters which was the point of their rivalry. It's not perfect, or some things with the human characters that are pretty boring and obnoxious. I just don't get why they won't make a movie about the characters from the game themselves and not try and add a bunch of side human characters to further along a less interesting plot. Other than that I really like that I really don't understand why critics are so hard on this franchise. Every complaint that I've seen about this movie they are saying that this is a cash grab for sonic. This is a sonic movie! Why would they not be using elements from the games that are related to sonic if it's a sonic movie? That's ridiculous. Same thing with Uncharted I just think critics are way too hard on these video game movies because of the stigma around them. For me... This is just as good if not better than the first one. Also stay for the credits if you're a fan of a franchise... OH MY GOD!!!
75 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Put a ring on it
kosmasp19 April 2022
Not just what Beyonce said or Sonic for that matter. But another character who gets a side story that may feel weird to some, who came to watch a Sonic movie. But weird side stories make this perfectly weird and I reckon fun. As you can see people really dig it, though I imagine this will not hold onto its overall 7 rating.

That being said, if you are a fan of the games, there is much to explore and even more to enjoy here. Even after the movie is over (as in during the credits - there is one scene that you will cherish also). That being said, apart from the returning Sonic, his father and mother and the ever so great Jim Carrey, we get some new additions. Who really are able to give a fresh take and put us in a spin.

Adding Idris Elbas voice is a stroke of genius (though since it is CG no brush was used). Puns aside, the movie has a few things that are too convenient and if you think too much about the story and all the things that are happening ... well you will find flaws and your fun might be dampened a lot. So don't overthink it and just enjoy this for what it is ... light family fun (with some adult jokes thrown in for good measure - try to spot them if you care)
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yup. I really enjoyed this one.
koolkeithxb2 April 2022
As a fan of the games, I had an idea of where the story was going within the first 15 minutes of the film. With that being said, the execution of the plot and writing with both new and returning characters, made the build up to the finale very entertaining and worth my time. It's a little slow at the beginning but once Tails and Knuckles join the cast, it's a thrilling race to the finish; and what a finish it is! There are some twists I didn't see coming and I won't spoil the 3rd act which is the peak of the film. Think Spider-Man No Way Home: Sega version! Yes, the 3rd act is that good and it gave me goosebumps. Very enjoyable film for fans and newcomers alike and definitely STAY for the mid-credits scene.
42 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Had Fun
jack_o_hasanov_imdb9 April 2022
There were too many children in the cinema, I felt strange. But I had fun. There were some scenes that were a bit boring, but overall it was a fun movie. Some movie references were also nice.

P. S : Jim Carrey was awesome !
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If only they hired a better Screenwriter
SoumikBanerjee255 May 2022
I'm sorry but was it an unannounced extended cut? Was I simply not aware of it? If not, then why the heck was this film so stretched? I can understand when a certain script demands an extra bit of time to build up the tale or to settle some essential things, for Sonic 2 though, I still don't get the urgency, what was the necessity? Really, what was it?

I mean sure you have two new characters in this sequel who need adequate introductions but what about the rest of the cast? The humour is obnoxiously loud, the performances (except for Jim Carrey) were awful and on top of all that you have this dubious CGI; which was supposed to be the film's main attraction, what a shame!

Now following the success of the first film, it is quite obvious that the creators had the green light from the studio to spend additional cash this time and guess what they did; however, to our utter dismay, it appears as if they have only utilised that extra bit of budget to demonstrate some cool action set pieces and nothing else!

Had they invested a small percentage of their budget into hiring a better Screenwriter; things could have been much different! Why? Cause the Screenplay was poorly paced. Not only it was tiresome but it also dragged the whole movie down with it.

The only good things that are worth remembering are Sonic and his newfound counterparts (Tails and Knuckles). Perhaps it's my nostalgia talking here but yeah I was having fun whenever these characters were in focus.
21 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sonic 2
ProjectAnomaly17 April 2022
I could have done without the pop culture references, but most of the film's humor and depth was fairly solid. And by god, those special effects just scream why it's always better to go for practical effects over CGI when you can (i say this as a compliment, watch this film's behind the scenes).
11 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What A Blast
zombie84-17 April 2022
Such a fun, great movie, tons of easter eggs for those who grew up on sonic too. Everything was perfect. This is how video game movies should be. I can't wait for more. IDRIS was amazing as Knuckles. He was so on point. The man was born to play that role. It was such a great vibe for them to get Colleen to do the voice of Tails. She is Tails. I loved all the easter eggs, the jokes. And most of all JIM. The man is a legend. If This happens to be his last movie ever. What a way to go out. He killed it. Can't wait to own this movie.
12 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nice
vagtea-360823 April 2022
This was fun but a bit long thanks to the wedding that had no need in the film also unlike the first one there wasn't that much comedy but the action was really good and you gotta love jim carrey however wasn't he fat at the end of the first movie also when he is trying to out run the missiles in siberia why does he need to snow board we all know he can out them in no time felt kinda forced also one other thing that could have been left out was the bar scene it did nothing for the story or movie i did like knuckles not knowing he was voiced by a girl but you wouldn't be able to tell in this lol and knuckles was perfect and brilliantly acted in wish we could have scene more of sonics powers also this movie could have been like 1 hour 40.20 minutes have been cut just sayin and did sonic ever get his rings back,
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A refinement on its prequel
witra_as5 April 2022
Drags on a bit long though still a refinement on its prequel. Jeff Fowler established every characters into frenetic adventure for whole family. Carrey elevated his quirky villain mode. Knuckles & Tails were capably assembled with Sonic's heartfelt efforts.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is one of those movies that could have been better with a bit better editing. It isn't as good as the first film.
kevin_robbins9 April 2022
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) is a movie we caught this weekend as a family in theatres. The storyline picks up where the last one left off with Sonic wanting to be more of a hero but as he does he puts others at risk. When his guardians, Tom and Maddie, go on vacation, he gets a few visitors at home. His nemesis, Dr. Robotnik, has returned with a new ally, Knuckles, and an ally of his own shows up, Tails. Sonic will need to work together instead of solo if he hopes to overcome the new evil dynamic duo.

This movie is directed by Jeff Fowler (Sonic the Hedgehog) and stars Jim Carey (The Mask), James Marsden (X-Men), Tika Sumpter (Ride Along), Idris Elba (The Losers), Shemar Moore (Diary of a Mad Black Woman) and Ben Schwartz (The Afterparty).

This movies does a great job transitioning from the first film. I thoroughly enjoyed Carey in Mushroom World, Sonic's first case, the return of Dr. Robotnik and unveiling of Tails and Knuckles leading to the film feeling like it was going to be wonderful...then the movie kind of falls off a cliff with the dance contest. Yes, the Super Sonic scene was great, and the wedding scene was entertaining, but the storyline kind of loses some steam. The movie does run a bit long and drags in areas. I will say I enjoyed Tails and Knuckles a lot and the coffee shop was also pretty cool.

Overall this is one of those movies that could have been better with a bit better editing. I would score this a 5.5-6/10 and recommend seeing it once, but it isn't as good as the first film.
30 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A bit of a disappointment.
planktonrules5 May 2022
The first Sonic the Hedgehog film was surprisingly fun...and so I was excited to go see this sequel. Sadly, however, I thought the sequel lacked much of the charm of the first and emphasized battles and special effects instead.

The film unites Sonic with Knuckles and Tails...his friends from the video game sequels to "Sonic the Hedgehog". Initially, however, the evil Dr. Robotnik convinces Knuckled to work with him...and only due to his huberis does it become apparent to the rather dim Knuckles that the Doctor ISN'T the nice guy he claims to be. This leads to an ultimate battle which takes up most of the final half of the movie...with Sonic, Knuckles and Tails taking on the crazed doctor.

To put it quite bluntly...this film isn't as fun nor as charming as the first. Instead, it's much more action-oriented. To make it worse, I loved Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik/Egghead in the first film...but here his clever reparte was lacking. Overall, watchable and not bad....but disappointing because it could have been so much better.

By the way, if you do plan on seeing this, try seeing it in theaters....you'll lose much on the TV screen because there is just so much action.
35 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and Poor.
thatsgottahurt-113 April 2022
This movie is definitely for the young. It's not hard to see what's coming, and the usual cliche riddled dialogue is in evidence. I couldn't see anyone over 12 getting any enjoyment out of this one. I like Jim Carrey well enough but the content just isn't there for him.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jim Cary and Idris Elba stole the movie
colewaters10 April 2022
Jim Carry and Idris Elba were definitely the crowd stealers in this sequel to the 2020 film. This movie had more laughs, more action, and lots more fun.

I love him Carry and I love Idris Elbow on their own so them together was just spectacular.
12 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.