Hypnotic (2021) Poster

(2021)

Great concept; badly executed!
Rachael-Harper27 October 2021
I think the reason that this movie is such a letdown is that it had the potential to be so much more!! A man who can talk you into doing anything he wants? The torment, the nightmare, the thousands of scenarios that could have come from that, but nope we never get beyond the creepy therapist. It's such a shame as this movie could have been great!!
46 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another let down by Netflix
karinahatem27 October 2021
Poor execution, poor performance, plot that is filled with too many wholes, predictable story, that I managed to know how it will go and end after the first 15m. I mean, even the ending was bad. Netflix, pls stop acquiring stupid silly movies.
73 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Series of Trash Decisions
payasoingenioso27 October 2021
Not one good decision is made in this film.

The most basic of plots is stretched way beyond palpability.

Meanwhile, hypnotherapy does not work like that. At. All.

The acting is somehow solid, though.
59 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
More like Generic (2021)
kuarinofu29 October 2021
Another movie that you can safely include in the background when you do household chores.

The mystery is gone in the first 20 minutes, then we are just driven through the expected clichéd scenes, a twist occurs that you can see with your eyes closed, and...that's it.

Minimum production standards are observed, yet even a fairly short film feels slow and drawn out because of the abundance of static camera shots.

The first time I saw this exact storyline was in 2001 in the Russian detective series Broken Lantern Streets, season 3, episode 16. So you could say that I got a special treat when I saw a more expensive Hollywood adaptation of a cheap show from the post-Soviet era. For the joke's sake, you can check it out on youtube by translating this to Russian and searching on youtube - "Streets of Broken Lanterns. Season 3. (episode 16)". It's in Russian, exactly the same but way cheaper and cheesier. A hypnotherapist is using his godlike powers to rob people's houses ending up murdering a witness and eventually getting caught after a failed hypnopower attempt.

I wanted to check the spoiler box after saying this, but there is no mystery or twist in the film, so I'm fine there.

I enjoy Kate Siegel, but she really needs to stick to Flanagan's projects (Midnight Mass was great btw).

As for the movie itself, it represents 88 minutes of screen time, which fills the Netflix library so you'll definitely have something to watch when you don't have anything else to do.
38 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly written
pigsrings28 October 2021
Didn't even make it 30min into this movie. It's like it was written by high school students. Couldn't give it more of my time. I suspected I would've wasted my time if I watched the entire thing. Reading the other reviews confirmed it.
38 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible writing.
Horror_Flick_Fanatic28 October 2021
Kate Siegel is a good actress however the writing in this film is done poorly. This is a revenge thriller since there really isn't any mystery to uncover. The film uncovers exactly what's happening within the first quarter of the film. Pervvy psychologist using hypnosis. With no mystery to solve, the film becomes very boring. Feels like your typical boring Lifetime movie.
67 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TYPICAL THRILLER.
andrewchristianjr28 October 2021
A typical psychologic thriller. Interesting and entertaining. It's definitely one of those movies that can entertain you when you don't have anything else on your list or you've already finished your favorite films/series.
49 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Meh
Movi3DO8 November 2021
MAN IT LITERALLY SAID "UNKNOWN NUMBER." STOP PICKING IT UP.

Aiyaya why some characters had to be so stupid. A new horror on Netflix about hypnotism not directed by Mike Flanagan but starred his wife Kate Siegel.

This is another movie that helps define the word mediocre. The plot was straightforward and I could see the twists coming from miles away. Because of this, there was little sense of mystery to the villain, and there's wasn't that much to begin with. As mentioned at the beginning, one of the plot points involving the unknown number could have been avoided if the characters were just a bit smarter. Very frustrating.

However, I wouldn't call this a horrible movie because the hypnotism was done pretty okay. Then, Kate Siegel had a decent performance that saved the movie a little bit.

Overall, let me hypnotize you to avoid this movie. 5/10.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Even a 4 years old could predict the whole plot from the start
ZOR33L27 October 2021
Honestly, Netflix really needs some quality control. From the start of this movie, it is super clear what will happen next. No surprises, no twists, nothing. A thriller usually needs to challenge the viewer, keep us on the edge of our seat, this movie is just pure cliche after cliche (which sadly, most new netflix movies suffer from).

They should stick to making great original shows like Ozark, Bly manor, midnight mass..etc. Hope they focus on quality over quantity next year.
39 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What the fudge
namstonk28 October 2021
Well all the cast are better actor's than this calamity. Great acting cannot cover-up garbage direction and a woefully bad script. The only thing worse is the wig at the end and the final line.
58 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yep, it's another stinker
tukenukemi27 October 2021
Only good thing about this is the premise, but it's all downhill from there. Basically it's just a low-tier "Black Mirror" episode with an extended runtime. Stupid and underdeveloped on almost every possible level.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They got it all wrong....
julian-640-54405828 October 2021
As a film viewer, I found the movie to be generally fair. The acting was not too bad. The filmography and editing was adequate; however, the plot was ridiculous which means the writing was way off.

As a psychologist and hypnotherapist (who happens to be named Dr. Julian), I find inaccurate portrayals like this to be disturbing. They give the wrong impression of what hypnosis is and what it is capable of. We have fought this kind of Hollywood distortion for many years so it is not surprising that someone would resurrect that old scenario. To put it simply: you CANNOT hypnotize anyone to do anything they do not want to do. Period. And the idea that a hypnotist can "put memories into someone's head" is just pure fantasy.

Maybe if this film had been billed as a "science fiction fantasy" I would have watched it with a different mindset...but as a thriller, to enjoy it, one would have to suspend disbelief.
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great premise poorly executed
suzistringeris28 October 2021
What a shame. Someone had a great idea but sold it to the wrong production team. The story had such great potential. I would like to see it remade by professionals. It could be a winner in the right hands. I'd recommend a watch anyway.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made it 32 minutes
takato052431 October 2021
How many movies are they going to make about a depressed white woman with no job yet lives in a fancy apartment with a different race boyfriend/love interest, and had some type of trauma? Sigh. I wanted to check this out cuz I like Dule, but not enough to watch this whole thing.
29 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that nice
gianmarcoronconi30 October 2021
Film with a really nice background idea, it's a pity that the plot is very obvious, you immediately understand everything and in general there are a few holes. Too bad because the idea is beautiful and some scenes are also beautiful but it is too obvious.
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In your dreams
kosmasp1 November 2021
Yes you could claim, that something like this can be written by someone in their sleep. Puns aside, the execution is quite well done though. The acting is decent. And while it is more than likely that you have seen something like this before - or even if not, you'll be able to guess where this is going ... it still can be entertaining or suspensful enough to watch.

That being said, suspension of disbelief is needed to say the least. Not the best movie ever made of course, but also not the worst by a long shot. Decent is a word I'd use. No need to recap the story.
23 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shouldn't call itself a "thriller"
yhp-0752227 October 2021
Possibly the worst "thriller " I've ever seen. Shouldn't have watched anything promoted by Netflix without checking the reviews online first. Total waste of 1.5h in my life and so bad that I have to create an account on this website to vent.
18 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Started Off Good
bshaef17 November 2021
Ended up ho hum. Netflix, you can do better than this. My review has to contain at least 150 characters to be publishable but a movie can be god awful rotten and still be on Netflix. Nof fair.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix...the new Lifetime channel
wisemanfromtowne30 October 2021
Not sure why this didn't just debut on Lifetime. Bad story telling, white chicks that look aged, one black actor and nice homes. Netflix....the new Lifetime channel.
41 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How dumb are they ? How dumb are we ?
shoe-gal-170-92756929 October 2021
So I read a book with this concept years ago and it was terrifying... she slowly ... stress slowly begun to think something was wrong ... eventually secretly filmed the doctor abusing her at night as she was totally hypnotised ... this film on the other hand is just awfull ... to obvious ... people are to stupid ...make stupid decisions... and well it just sucks ... no thrills no mystery no scares no nothing , good idea very crap film.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very stupid. Is it a movie for kids?
kalenderov27 October 2021
I watched the whole movie. Very stupid plot and bad acting. Nothing interesting happens. Predictable and boring. Too much senseless dialogue. I watched the whole movie.
21 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They overdid it!
Go_For_The_Jugular31 October 2021
I like the idea/story of a hypnotist abusing their powers...and getting patients to do sketchy stufff - and I wouldn't even be surprised if that's something that happens in real life.

But they went overboard with it...too much 'plot convenience' was down to the hypnotism. Then the planting of a 'fail safe', in case another hypnotist tries to access the patient's mind...THEN the other hypnotist planting their OWN thing in the patient's head to take back to the original hypnotist!!! Stop it already!!!

It just got silly towards the end, which is a shame, because I've been totally in love with Kate Siegel ever since I first saw her in 'Hush'.

This was way beneath her.

Overall - nothing special.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Bother
edw197627 October 2021
Kate Siegel has done so many more projects that were worthy of her. This one is not. It's a lifetime movie if that. Skip it. Go get the flu instead. You'll have more fun.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Doesn't do anything interesting with a fun premise
jtindahouse4 November 2021
Netflix movies get a bit of a bad rap. To be fair it does seem like a large majority of them have been pretty bad. The odd one surprises you though and those are the ones that keep us coming back. 'Hypnotic' is probably not going to do their reputation much good. It's a decent idea, but it's so bland it feels one step ahead of a Lifetime movie for a large portion of the runtime.

One of my favourite novels actually follows a reasonably similar plot to this movie. In that case the twist at the end was that people were being hypnotised into doing these things. In 'Hypnotic' it's right up front about it. The story should be a fun one, but it plays out in such a straight-forward was, with such run of the mill characters that it's impossible to stay invested.

I found the villain in this movie about as mundane as they ever come. There's no subtlety on nuance about the film either to try and keep us entertained. I was going to give this a very generous 6, but actually writing about the film has made me realise it's more of a generous 5. I won't remember this film by tomorrow. Very forgettable and not one I'd recommend.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love Dule' Hill
spyderalley28 October 2021
I agree with other reviews it could have been much better but it wasn't horrible. It got to where when the Detective, Dule' Hill, was rushing to her rescue, I wanted him to be driving the "Blueberry" and telling Shawn to "Shut it!" I am referring to the show "Psych" that is wonderful and should be watched by everyone!!
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.