Better Off Ted (TV Series 2009–2010) Poster

(2009–2010)

Great new show that deserves a chance
Octochicken24 April 2009
I don't usually do this kind of thing, but I'm tired of great shows getting canned before they get a chance to grow an audience. I have no idea how the ratings are for this show, but it's my favorite new show and might quickly become my new favorite show.

The casting for the show is superb, the acting top-notch, and the beat of the show is always quirky and funny. There are a lot of great ideas coming out of the writers. It is over the top in the best of ways but never loud or annoying. Best part: NO LAUGH TRACK!!! I can't say enough how tired I am of those.

If you like Scrubs you'll like this show. And for the record, I don't mind at all that the characters talk to the camera. It's not a mocumentary and I'm glad for that too - another idea that is going to get old very fast. I laugh constantly throughout each episode. Like I mentioned, the writing is very sharp and you have to pay close attention to see all the funny stuff that is going on at times.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a long and healthy life for Better Off Ted. Now back to the lab...
131 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Show Since 'Arrested Development'
cary71318 June 2009
Portia de Rossi is even better in this show, and I was surprised to find none of the same writer/directors from A.D. listed in the credits. The Veridian Dinamics 'commercials' are fantastic. Throughout the show I had to try not to laugh too loud, so as not to distract my co-workers.;) Funniest show I've seen in a long time. I have to agree with one of the other posts that the comedy is targeted and intelligent, which is hard to find these days. I am continually disappointed in most comedy shows, but every once in a while a gem like this comes along.

PLEASE don't cancel this, ABC! Long live the Octochicken...
59 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolute Genius
bogsplatt29 April 2009
What a fantastic show. It is a hilarious satirical commentary on the offices of scientific research and technology companies. It is amazing how to close to reality some of their material cuts for those of us that work in R&D departments. It is also a very 'fun' show, the writers must really enjoy having a decent budget to make spoof advertising for their pretend corporation. Sometimes it is good to stand back from life and take stock of the really important things, and this satire certainly jabs away at the ludicrous of the modern office environment, where being creative requires a constant battle with the middle-management Ogres.
89 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Off Ted has promise
scarletminded19 March 2009
I just saw the pilot for this show and want to write about how I liked it. Mainly because I feel shows aren't given time to find an audience and maybe me voicing my like of the show will give it a chance.

The show reminded me a bit of the movie Brazil, except a sit com. The music, the setting -- especially the part about making chairs uncomfortable with workers in order to increase productivity --, a few of the characters, though I doubt this show would even touch the dark comedy of Brazil. What I am saying is that it has that sort of bleaker comedy spirit.

It's smart too. Jokes are pretty rapid fire and I think it will do good playing after Scrubs because I feel Scrubs fans would stick around to watch this. Originally I thought maybe this was a spin off from Scrubs with the character Ted...no really I did. Andrea Anders was in the short lived spin off from Friends, Joey, so maybe I have that on the brain.

I was hooked from the whole, "can you make a mouse that can stand 195 degree temps?" to the pumpkin weapons, so I hope this show is given a chance to get an audience. I'll watch it whenever it's on. It's got a lot more going for it than your typical sit coms.
111 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Different kind of humor
diesel33333323 April 2009
I am a big fan of this show. It really compliments my Wednesday nights of Scrubs and South Park. I don't expect this show to do well or even stay on the air long, which is a bummer. The humor is dry, intelligent and very targeted to a specific audience. Lucky I think I am their target audience...

The show plays heavily off stereo-types. You have the uptight Female boss, the nerdy scientists, slightly crazy blond, and Ted. Ted is the man who has to sift though the insanity that is corporate America, aka Veridian Dynamics.

Give the show a chance, You might like it....
80 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny, smart & original commentary on corporate America
shevia21 July 2009
Veridian Dynamics is a large corporation that invents, tests and markets everything from deadly pumpkins to beef that tastes like despair. Ted works there as a manager. He's a good and sane man in a heartless--and often insane--corporate environment. The comedy in this series comes from seeing just how insane work at Veridian can be and the hoops Ted jumps through to keep the insanity in check.

Each episode begins with a commercial for Veridian Dynamics, parodies of commercials put out by real world corporations. These commercials are so biting--and funny--one wonders who would dare advertise on a show like this. Portia De Rodsi steals the show as Ted's boss, Veronica, who embodies all that is beautiful, perfect, devious and heartless at Veridian. Veronica is the kind of woman who likes having Ted's young daughter around, because her presence makes it easier for Veronica to fire people.

The show never lets you get too comfortable, and that's a good thing. It is brilliant, hysterically funny and original, so much so that it's a wonder it hasn't been taken off the air . . . yet. Catch it while you can.
36 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best comedy that people aren't watching
Animus18 January 2010
Much like the doomed and also extremely well done Sports Night, Better Off Ted is a hysterical comedy with a top notch cast. The interaction between Ted and his co-stars is fantastic, his nonchalance with Veronica over the fate of innocents, his empathy with Linda, his ability to get past the jargon of Phil and Lem, all classic. The story lines are funny, the fake commercials a riot and the "anti-dilbert" vibe is refreshing. While each character is indeed a caricature of a typical corporate employee, Better Off Ted makes those caricatures come to life in ways not often seen in prime time comedy. I hope this series get renewed for 10 years. I love Better off Ted.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funniest shows to ever be cancelled
jimjoe125431 April 2018
I do not know what happened with ABC between 2004 and 2016, but they underfunded, misrepresented, lacked promotion, and otherwise failed every worthwhile TV show they produced. Better Off Ted is the poster-child of this complete corporate incompetence.

What should have been a 6-9 season show was reduced to a measly TWO seasons. The show had some of the best on-screen chemistry between characters -- Phil and Lem, Linda and Ted, Veronica and Veronica. Very rarely do TV shows cause me to laugh out loud, and even rarer than that do they make it happen every episode, often a few times.

Yes, the show is corny. Yes, it is light-hearted. Yes, it actually has a lot of humanity and critique of the industrial military and corporate culture of America while making you think it's corny and light-hearted. Yes, it even handles issues of gender and race in a respectful, yet still corny and light-hearted way. Does anyone at ABC understand how difficult that is to do? What a shame.

I've always thought there would be a few shows I would like to revive once I hit the lottery (I've got a system, it's a sure thing!). Better Off Ted is in the Top 5.
20 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Quick, witty and oddly hilarious!
CitizenShane16 September 2009
Saw the first episode last night 'On Demand' on Australian pay TV. I often sit back and watch the 'On Demand' stuff because I want see what I like and what I don't, and more often than not I see what I don't.

'Better Off Ted' was there. Never heard anything about it before. I put it on and was immediately swept away by the quick dialogue and the narration (I guess it's narration) to camera from my new best friend Ted. He works for a research and development company, beneath Veronica played by Portia De Rossi. The dialogue between these two is hysterical! This show reminds me of Arrested Development. Maybe it's the Portia De Rossi thing, maybe it's the dialogue. Either way, I'm already loving it, and I will be spreading the word of 'Better Off Ted'.
27 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So far excellent
Cell_Life23 June 2009
Has a lot of great quirky characters, geeky premises, and absurdist plots. As some have said, there are elements of The Office and Scrubs, but with a lot more whimsy (at least for now); comparisons to Arrested Development seem apt.

I think there are quite a few ways to expand and push the edges of the basic premise for a good healthy run of shows. Unfortunately its geeky element may not be enough to sustain a core audience in a prime time spot on a major network. It has that feel of being perhaps a little too kooky for the main stream, but I hope not. I'd love to see where the show goes as it develops.
28 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best Lampoon of Wall Street Induced Corporate Greed Ever
AudioFileZ25 April 2020
This is now a decade old and nothing I can remember in that time came close except maybe The Office. Ahem...these two shows are both finding gold with satire over the white collar corporate mentality and the workplace that results from such.

Well corporate greed and hubris does create a fertile field to plow it seems as so much of the exaggerated comedy here springs from a solid kernel of truth whether it be in the ethos of the company or the psyche of the character. It might even be a bit on the creepy/scary side that to find these points to spring from it really doesn't take much intelligence or imagination.

The bottom line is this show absolutely has a wickedly sharp take on lampooning the foibles of the corporate empty vessel and the workplace that springs forth. It has both characters you love to hate and characters you love simply because you connect with their take on all of the soulless greed. Some things really glue it together such as the device of Ted narrating the story and the use of no inane laugh tracks using instead sharp scene editing with a spritely brass anchored background soundtrack. This brilliant comedy and because it pokes an eye at some of the real things surrounding work life it truly can connect with viewers like me. I think this show is a great mirror of corporate insensitivity, ambition, and greed.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why did they cancel?
marcus-chugh28 December 2018
Probably the worst network decision of all time to cancel this smart, witty, fast, well acted life changing show.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why!!! Did this get cancelled
peterspence19804 March 2020
Brilliant, funny, witty, original just wish it kept on going
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very funny and uncomfortable!
Amazadh12 August 2010
I don't know if it's being a Brit, but few American 'comedy' shows make me laugh; I find the canned laughter particularly irritating. So, it is a refreshing change to find a show that doesn't try to make me laugh when it is not actually being very funny.

The point is, this show IS funny! Very funny, and to me at least, slightly scary and uncomfortable, but that might be that I am an ex-hippie, and the whole corporate 'profit above all else' is sometimes too horrible to laugh at. To be completely oblivious to the total lack of morality in their behaviour - the spoof adverts being created are a real hoot!

Excellent characters; the research geeks are outstanding, and Linda is great. Portia De Rossi is seriously chilling as Veronica, I find myself frequently thinking, "s***, I've met someone almost like that..." ...!!

It's on the 'record series' list of my PVR, just in case I have to miss one.
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A gem that deserves to be seen.
ksdilauri20 March 2019
As most of the other reviews bring out, this series was a victim of the network's itchy hatchet fingers. A lot of us didn't become aware of it until well after its cancellation-and it was like discovering hidden treasure. The first season is especially good-it has the quick wit and irreverence of "Arrested Development" in the guise of a standard workplace comedy. The writing in the second season shows signs of getting lazy by adding too many sex jokes in unnecessary places, but the gifted cast makes up for it-often taking the otherwise-clever dialogue and situations through the 4th wall very naturally. It's not easy to pull off this kind of comedy, but it's so seamless that it becomes perfectly normal in Veridian Dynamics' button-down business world. A perfect cast, in a comedy that should have run longer. It deserves a place of honor in TV history.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better off Ted is far from brilliance, but has great potential
Kajlaurent2 June 2009
I watched this show from the beginning and after the first show i thought it would become a lame show that would be cut off after the first 7 episodes. Now after i watched the six after that i can really recommend the show. I'm going to watch this show for a very long time. Hope other people will enjoy it too and the show wont be cut off at the second season. It has a good cast and really funny characters. I don't know what people find annoying about talking to the camera. I think it isn't supposed to be funny. It's just to move you into the storyline of the episode.

I hope this show will get at least 4 seasons. It's a show that deserves a little attention.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hilarious, zany and extremely well-written.
CelldwellerNS15 August 2011
Better Off Ted is a great show. Unfortunately I, like everyone else, didn't watch it while it was on-air and now it's been canceled due to low viewership. The characters are all very likable and interesting, but also wacky and just plain fun. One of my favorite parts of this series is how characters develop and there is actual continuity in the story, previous episodes are referenced later and such. In other screwball comedies like Scrubs I felt the show went on with a story and feigned character development but by the later seasons the characters were still making the same stupid mistakes and had the same character flaws. I realize writing a comedy show with continuity can be difficult, because it's easier for them to ignore realism for the sake of laughs, but Better Off Ted actually did this well. Being set in a completely unrealistic world in the dystopian mega-corporation helps this, I'm sure, and the company's commercials display this very well.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think this is the funniest comedy I've ever seen
brent-marini2 March 2010
I came across this show incidentally while channel surfing and was unprepared for what I was going to get. Light, witty and clever I have never laughed so hard at a television comedy in my life. I have read a couple of reviews that said it has a 'targeted' humor though I must say, unless targeted means to anyone with a sense of humor then I have to disagree. It covers so many aspects of daily life as to make it relevant to almost anyone. From the character and personality types, to the the relationship woes and hurdles. Others have said it resembles too closely shows like "the office" and "Scrubs" Though personally, I dislike both of those shows and cannot stop loving this one. The only similarity between Better off Ted and The Office is that they both take place primarily in an office. As for scrubs, well, I see no similarity. I sure hope that this show is renewed and with a more forward thinking marketing strategy. Bigger and stronger, because Better off Ted has the hallmarks of a show gathering a mainstream audience and a cult core. An aggressive marketing campaign and one full season with 23 episodes would set this show up for the long haul. It just needs to be out there more for people to see how enjoyable it is. If the cast are down with it, I say go for it! With proper representation and a spate of market saturation, I would stake anything on this show becoming a top shelf commodity!!!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant, witty, and fun!
johnkerher2 March 2019
This is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. I would have loved to see many more episodes. The actors and characters were just awesome! I am sad that there were only 2 seasons. I have watch those 2 seasons many times over...
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the funniest TV series ever
funkatron-3994928 October 2018
Without a doubt this series is one of the funniest there has been. It's tongue in cheek, sarcastic, in your face, and just purely genius throughout. It's unfortunate the series was cancelled because it had the makings of becoming something exceptional. Thankfully there are a few episodes to keep you going :) bring it back I say!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The best office comedy every!
bbshockwave18 September 2017
I make a point to re-watch this show every 2-3 years or so. And I don't do that often. Maybe because I work at an IT company myself, but so much of the absurdity that comes with working for a giant multicorporation is familiar to me (such as the episode with the memo asking for employees to "NOW use offensive language at work", or the company's idea to redecorate personal workspaces). But also because of the quirky and likable characters - Ted, the likable boss obsessed with being a good father and a good boss, Veronica who might be actually a very human-like robot with very low grasp on this thing meatbags call "emotions", rebellious but well-meaning Linda, and bumbling nerdy "mad" scientists Lem and Phil. The show relies a lot on quick cutaways and inserts sarcastic (yet almost eerily realistic) adverts for the non-existing Veridian Dynamics company every now and then. Frankly, there isn't a single episode I could not recommend, the show is that good. I am still sad that it did not last more than two seasons. And the final episodes of the second season are hard to come by as they were only released on DVD, never aired. Give it a watch if you like office comedy - it is non-stop comedy, never a dull moment.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best show I never knew was on.
chancer_kirri19 May 2012
Unfortunately I never saw any previews or knew this great show was on for 2 seasons. I would have tuned in every week and think the casting, comedy, and the slightly exaggerated "evil company" references and the both hilarious yet truthful advertisements would have appealed to a much bigger audience than the ratings suggest.

I waited to post this review until watching most episodes and asking nearly 100 coworkers their opinion of the show and learned less than 10% even knew the show was on much less 2 seasons and all but a few loved it and would have tuned in every week. Please bring this show back!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too smart and funny for network TV
purrlgurrl16 December 2013
Which is why it ran only two seasons and became increasingly difficult to find as it was shuttled through days and time slots.

A well-written satire of life in a major corporation, it most likely flew miles over the heads of free network (ABC, CBS, NBC) viewers, who prefer the likes of The Bachelor or Batchelorette, The View, Dancing with the Stars, and a host of other TV for Dummies shows.

Too bad this wasn't on HBO, Showtime, or even Netflix, the logical home for TV of this caliber. It might have gotten a couple more seasons by finding a more welcoming audience there.

Portia de Rossi's best work is in this series - better than in Arrested Development. In fact, the entire cast clearly knows that the scripts are solid gold and delivers performances up to that gold standard.

Catch it while it's streaming on Netflix. It's laugh-out-loud comedy for a sophisticated audience.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best TV series
dnr-nachum8 June 2011
"Better Off Ted" is a very well written and played, funny, intelligently-cynical, fast-paced, anarchistic and not at all unrealistic corporate America sitcom.

The not-so-positive way in which this (extremely unethical, cheerfully heartless, greedy, however innovative and resourceful) Veridian Dynamics corporation is depicted, may deter many potential advertisers.

This is probably a major reason in Fox decision to terminate it prematurely.

I would assume that many of its avid-viewers are well educated, technically-trained, well-paid individuals. This sort of crowd should be targeted by commercials of "brave and intelligent" electronics and techno-gadget makers.

I would encourage Fox to give "Better Off Ted" another chance,as it has the potential of reaching the success of the hilariously funny: "Scrubs".
Funny & smart
dino-14111 December 2010
Better of Ted is a pleasant surprise. Finally a sitcom that does not feature a set of singles living in the city or a moronic family. It is fresh, witty and fast. Many American sitcoms are very predictable which for me really kills the laughs. I really don't understand why this show didn't become a bigger success because it had all the ingredients to appeal to a large audience: An excellent cast, fresh jokes, hot babes for the men and a handsome male lead for the ladies. Jay Harrington is often compared with George Clooney. I don't know if there really is a resemblance, one thing he does have in common with Clooney though: Despite his good looks, guys don't hate his guts. Andrea Anders is sweet and funny as always, Portia de Rossi walks a very fine line between portraying the heartlessness and coldness of mega corporations and just being a caricature. Her extreme screen presence even makes the character a little likable. What makes this show really stand out is the smartness of the scripts, the tong-in-cheek satire.