Where Hands Touch (2018) Poster

Touching story with a weak script
tennisboyn3 January 2019
I suggest this movie to anyone not feeling critical, because unfortunately, it's very easy to criticize this movie. An intense story about a biracial girl falling in love with a Nazi official's son is carried, but not successfully, by weak accents and some acting that got me questioning. The writing struggled to stay engaging and falls to useless conversations that have no effect on the plot. The story is interesting and ended with a twist, but I think this movie could be cut down by 30 minutes to the same satisfaction of the viewer. I do recommend you watch this movie, but know there are some visible flaws in the writing.
26 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A story that was screaming to be told
skpn12322 January 2019
Agreed there are a plethora of riveting stories crying to be told about this period that should always be part of our memories and awareness as a generation of Holocaust and camp surivors leaves us. This is the first time I've seen anything address the struggles and experiences of bi-racial children in Germany at this time.

Theirs was a struggle to belong and reconcile their German identity with the atrocties in their personal and social world.

Stories like these are few and far between and when one see the ridiculous scores some have given this film it is no wonder. I agree with other reviewers that 'Sadly, I suspect this very departure from "the norm" is why this film is being unfairly downvoted'.

In a nutshell, there were many groups targeted under Nazi rule...we simply don't hear about them, short of some peripheral mention. And their attitudes and struggle for identity is worthy of understanding. I also commend Amana Asante for daring to tell this story, because within the black community (and others I'm sure) the backlash to this film has been fierce, which is precisely why we need more films like these that shatter the status quo. We are applauding you Amana and all of the wonderful team who worked on and acted in this quality film.
22 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Eye Opener
arnoldarrons2 February 2019
An absolute brilliant movie that moved my soul!! It shows love knows no color, creed or belief. We were formed as humans to love and fight and know no limits be it good or evil. The painful moments in this film is my eye opener to the fact that the world was and is still is an extremely cruel place. How are we suppose to belong .....???
16 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well I enjoyed it anyway.
finesherry22 January 2019
Why it has such a low score I do not know, I found it rivetting and very sad in parts to watch, but would say to anyone watch it, you will not be disappointed.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mixed Bag of a Movie
Moviegoer1914 April 2019
I very much enjoyed watching Where Hands Touch despite being aware of what I consider to be its problems. To my knowledge, no stories/films have been done before from the perspective of a black person in Nazi Germany or Europe. Which leads to one of the problems in the film: the character of Leyna, the beautiful biracial girl around whom the film revolves, appears to have so little knowledge or awareness of herself as a Nazi target. She focuses on herself as a German and appears ignorant of why she should fear for her life. As time goes on, of course, and more persecutory and threatening things happen to her, she becomes more aware of how in Nazi eyes she's the same as a Jew, i.e., subhuman and therefore open to the most heinous forms of abuse and torture. As I watched her I kept thinking, she can't really be that naive... Also, her mother's not explaining this to her sufficiently in other than abstract terms was not only disturbing but unrealistic.

Another characterological discrepancy was in the father of Lutz. Here I was just plain confused. He was presented as both a leading Nazi commandant in the concentration camp, but... huh? In secret he loved American jazz and artists like Billie Holiday and he was against war as a result of his experience in WWI seeing people die for nothing, and yet... ? None of this was very convincing, especially once the characters were in the concentration camp. Of course what he does to his son towards the end of the film... well that to me was an obvious plot point, something done for the sake of the film's dramatic action, and not for the inherent realism of the characters and their stories.

Finally, the relationship between Leyna, the biracial girl, and Lutz, the Nazi young man, bordered on being unbelievable, based on the question of "why?". As there is no outward reason given for their attraction, the explanation had to come from my own interpretation which was that 1) Lutz "loved" her because she was beautiful and 2) Leyna "loved" him because he loved her and presumably she was attracted to him. These "explanations" were enough to justify whatever risks to their lives they both took in the name of their love and to explain why neither of them seemed to question why they were "in love" with a person so antipathetic to their lives.

But again, despite these points of confusion in the script, the film was compelling with some excellent acting and cinematography.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A touching film that shines a light on stories you never hear about.
snk20051 January 2019
I questioned whether or not to watch this since there was some hoopla around its release, but decided to give it a go....VERY glad I did. It's a beautiful and touching film that quite frankly, shows another perspective of those under the rule of Nazi Germany. The cast is superb and did a wonderful job--nothing felt over the top, cliched or stereotypical.

It's apparent based on the ratings that there's some bias here. Because with all the low ratings, no one seemed willing to explain WHY in a review. Was it false? Did it misrepresent events or was it historically inaccurate? That doesn't seem to be the case since no one bothered to expand on why.

What I'll say is this--there are MANY stories to be told about this period and this is the first time I've seen anything address the plight of bi-racial children in Germany at this time. The first I'd heard of it was reading about Hans Massaquoi --former Managing Editor of Ebony magazine--a bi-racial child (African father, German mother) who, in his own words, "yearned to be a Hitler Youth." Of course, being a child he had no idea what it really meant and how his German identity was about to be tested. But beyond that, stories like these are few and far between. Sadly, I suspect this very departure from "the norm" is why this film is being unfairly downvoted.

In a nutshell, there were many groups targeted under Nazi rule...we simply don't hear about them, short of some peripheral mention. And I commend Amana Asante for daring to tell this story, because within the black community (and others I'm sure) the backlash to this film was fierce, which is precisely why we need more films like these. Brava!
36 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
100% Praiseworthy
PrattG635 January 2019
There is nothing wrong with the movie or the content of the movie simply a beautiful story that was needed to be told the premise and the time when it occurred was just too much controversial the performances of the actors and the director is 100% Praiseworthy
16 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A brilliant movie. A story that needed to be told. Not offensive.
verawharris15 September 2018
The acting is superb. A tender story set during a terrible time.

I have read accounts and seen pictures from this period but this perspective has never been told.

This movie needed to made to educate people about the plight of biracial children in Nazi Germany.

Forget the critics. An excellent movie; a must see!
41 out of 113 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3D or real!
casperfhadsbjerg6 January 2019
Most of the film is made in a bad studio. The actors are pure, this is not something I want to see again
18 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shame on haters
bashum-6573322 March 2019
I'm so so disappointed about the reaction of many people here voting for this movie to have a result of 5.5/10... not about the filming, not about the actors or the make-up but before all of that thinks everybody need to know this kind of story wasn't fiction. We can't treat this movie like a science fiction movie or something "distracting" because it had happen 70 years ago, it was real, so many people had suffering that way. We need to remember to make that thinks never happen again. That movie need to be show on schools to teach how fascism work and show how point basic racism is stupid
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Important story -- terribly done
VoyagerMN19864 January 2019
Someone suggested that all the low ratings from the professional critics and viewers here are the result of some kind of bias.

Seriously recoiling and critiquing lousy film making, so bad that the message is -- "I love Romeo the Nazi" -- is an expression of bias?

I think virtually all of us panning this film *want* to give it a high rating for the story it is attempting to tell. But the clichés, terrible scripting, absolutely abysmal acting do not do credit to the story of attitudes toward biracial children in Nazi Germany (or virtually anywhere in the world where they were mostly seen as genetic and social threats).

The bravery and resilience of the young woman simply do not come through at all. It was an opportunity to present her as superior in every way and instead the writers decided to overlay a sanguine and utterly not credible "Romeo and Juliet" nonsense over the story, obliterating the meaning and actual genuine drama.

We get no explanation, none at all as to why this brave young biracial girl would fall in love with a Nazi who shows no real trepidation at being part of the machinery that will kill Jews, a lot of other people, and destroy Europe.

FYI the young actress, Amandla Stenberg, is actually a good actress. Abby Cornish once again proves she has lucked into a couple of roles, but in general she is at best a mediocre to poor actress.
14 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A film worth seeing!
brockfay9 March 2019
This movie hit home on so many levels as the daughter of a biracial mother. The struggles are real and raw. A brilliant movie. The pain and hurt in so many scenes in this film reiterate that the world was & still is a cruel place. Racism & prejudice still live inside so many. We are ALL human beings deserving to belong, to love & to be loved. It's a must see. I don't understand the negative reviews.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Touching film, interesting and philanthropic storyline
s_pops4123 February 2019
I loved this movie and was touched by many parts of the strory. The storyline was brilliant and I really felt the emotion, and situations the actors were in. I was fully invested in the story and loved the way each side was portayed at first in contrast to the reversal of this by the end (with out giving to much away). This film also sheds light on those Germans like Leyna who were being told they are not German despite their family, place of birth and beliefs all because of who their parents are or the colour of their skin. Not just the Jewish people suffered this in humane treatment. People were not given a chance or allowed to reform or agree. I love how this story represents a deeper meaning to this awful period, and shows humanity at its purest when two people who are being told not to fall in love just have to. I thought George was absolutely fantastic, and he portayes his character in turmoil, but a loving human at heart extremely well. It was shot really well, and the colours and lighting used to depict the storyline and change of mood were really affective.

Would strongly recommend watching, I am also deeply confused by this films reviews and ratings in which are negative. To me it was absolutely brilliant and massively underrated, a little gem.
7 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just Awful
michealr-5905314 January 2019
The entire plot besides being ludicrous appeals to only the dimmest of bulbs. Its hokey sentiment about the poor African girl in the heart of Germany during WWII is both unbelievable and just awful. If I could give it negative stars I certainly would have
25 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a great movie!
JessaKat182 January 2019
I do not understand the low rating on this movie. This was such a great movie. It had me feeling all the feels for sure. I don't want to say anything to give away the movie but I will say ignore the low rating and watch it because we must never forget what the people of war had and do go through.
16 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gripping drama and fine history lesson
Bachfeuer20 September 2018
This film is like a musical performance making a deep impression despite a few wrong notes. Few films have represented the racial attitudes in Nazi Germany as accurately, and the misery of life in a concentration camp as well as this one. It gets the relevant things right--while getting some details a bit wrong.

The costumes are very authentic, except for the army and Hitler Youth uniforms, which look much better than the real thing. While death camps were almost exclusively SS operations, the perpetrators are all dressed as army. I suspect costume availability had something to do with that. There was a contemporary issue as to concentration camp duty as a way for cowards to avoid battle, but it played out differently than shown. Also, why are there so many '30s French cars in Germany?

I greatly admire the way this film shows how concentration camp existence consisted of one deadly gauntlet after another. One could come out alive only as the chance beneficiary of one dumb coincidence after another. What a pity that it had to wait until there are so few actual survivors to comment.
24 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Deserves Better
mstanger-9938830 March 2019
I'm not sure why so many people are giving this movie a bad wrap. The cinematography (though it could use a couple touches here and there) was great. The growth of the romance between Leyna and Lutz did seem a little rushed near the beginning, but when the realities of war and Nazi ideology really began to make its mark in their lives, things got especially interesting. The actors did an amazing job in portraying this too, and there were many emotional and passionate scenes that made me feel completely invested as if I were right there alongside them -something hard to get out of me. The way I see it, many people had a problem with this movie due to the setting. What many people don't seem to realize, is that this film is one of the few nowadays that doesn't completely distort the attitudes and beliefs of another time, and this is especially important when looking at a place like Nazi Germany. After World War I, Germany was completely destitute and caught in a bad financial situation of paying their debts to the Allies while continuously borrowing money from them to do so. Keep in mind, this was the war where just the sheer amount of men that had died, led to a dip in national population. All their fighting and death felt wasted to the Germans, and The Treaty of Versailles would certainly not help them any better. Their dignity and their country was so badly wounded by this, the people wanted to rebound from it, and while national pride or nationalism is not inherently bad in itself, the invasion and massacre of others is. It can't be ignored that many during this era held prejudiced beliefs, yet, unfortunately, most Germans were not aware of the extent to which blood was spilt out of discrimination. Most Germans only wanted to restore their country. In this film, these attitudes are very apparent, and although I do not agree with them, they shine light on the reality of what had happened. It showed the audience that there are shades of gray we often overlook, such as Leyna's situation of not only loving a Nazi, but being born a German of African descent in a European world. This movie is not one that takes away from history, but rather highlights the important pieces we often miss and does so wonderfully.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where Hands Touch
TheRadiobox11 April 2019
One of the most on-the-nose, historically inaccurate, melodramatic, trying-to-be-relevant misfires i've ever seen. I have nothing but contempt for this "thing" it's not a movie, not a story, it's nothing but baiting for some publicity in a poor attempt to tug at your heartstrings and your wallet. It predictably fails at both. 1/10
7 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hidden story revealed in such a nice way
gmmcgy24 March 2019
I actually enjoyed except that my heart in my throat for most of it. Totally flabbergasted by the low scores that it received. The expert movie critics see technical faults but the story in my opinion captures several facets of the holocaust in a brief way that is not directly offensive. Instead the risky and gripping love story overshadowed everything. Sad ending.
4 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional movie
joan-373044 January 2019
She is such a good actress i think! I love all her movies. I really loved the story and it's so well played. I became very emotional and even cried!!
7 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Utter garbage
v-acharya15 May 2019
This is definitely made up...stop making up stories like that
3 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disrespectful for WW2 casualties and their families
wojan25 June 2019
People in US and some countries maybe will believe in this "story" but for witnesses, casualties and their families it's and insult. Read about history and then give your stars.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not so touching
rjaywallace131 May 2019
I am rating this a 5 only because it contained some exceptional cinematography, otherwise I would have given it a 2. The story is mind-numbingly gruesome. Humans must never treat another human in this terrible fashion.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where is the Diversity?
suspence852614 April 2019
Its a shame that a movie made in 2019 lacks diversity. I was appalled that only 2 parts were given to people of color. I expected better from this Director, who has used more people of color in her films.
3 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is PG-13?
britneydegraff18 June 2019
While there was no cussing and little gore to be found the whole thing felt very heavy. From the sex scene where it focused on their facial expressions at point of entry or whether it just be the violence of it all. It was hard to watch at some points, especially in which a man was shot in the crotch and murdered in the street after being made to strip down. I am surprised and appalled that it gets the 13 year old thumbs up. And it hard to enjoy when I was expecting things to be differently.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.