Ip Man (2008)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 22 items
|MPAA||Rated R for violence|
Sex & Nudity
- Sex: None
- One quick view of a teenager of twenty something young man's bare buttocks when his older brother pulls his pants down in public to humorously and poignantly teach him a lesson that just because something is true, that is not enough justification that you have a right to disclose it to the public. This is only on screen for a few seconds and is very easily missed.
Violence & Gore
- Pretty tame for an R-rating, as most of the action and violence is stylized martial arts and a little blood.
- The movie has a high body count but the violence isn't bad.
- A visitor from another town fights two martial artist seperately teachers and wins against both of them. The characters are a bit bloodied but nothing to bad.
- The visitor fights Ip Man but is easily defeated and is hit several times. Some blood is present at his mouth.
- The main villain, general Sapo, fights three Chinese men in a dojo and is it is implied that he kills one of them. Blood spews from the victims mouths.
- A Chinese martial arts teacher is beaten by three Japanese martial artists. After he surrenders and tries to leave, he is shot through the back of the head with a pistol. The bullet impact is not seen.
- Ip man fights and violently defeats ten blackbelts in a dojo. He breaks bones (only heard), beating everyone of them. This scene can be a bit shocking since this is the first time we see Ip Man using his martial arts skill to actually hurt someone. His anger can although be understood due to previous events.
- A man is brutally beaten by an Japanese officer twice throughout the movie. His entire face is bloody.
- Ip man takes out 3 Japanese soldiers. Some of their teeth flies out and we see some blood.
- A huge fight takes place at an factory where multiple people are hit.
- A fight between two main characters takes place at the end of the movie where they are at first equals but ends with one of the characters laying a brutal beatdown on the other, severely injuring him.
- A character is shot through the chin. We don't see the act, only the gun being placed at the characters chin and a gunshot going off.
- Some blood but not too much.
- In the English subtitles, there is sh*t and assh*le said several times.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Drugs: None
- Some relaxation and after-dinner smoking seen in the early part of the movie. Characteristic of the time period and the social class of the participants.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The death of a friendly character is pretty upsetting.
- Ip Man´s reaction and action to the death is pretty shocking.
- The scenes where the Japanse takes over Foshan is very sad.
- Ip Man vs 10 black belts is very intense.