Ghost in the Shell (2017) Poster

May This Be A Lesson To American Studios
papadum-singh-desi22 April 2019
Do not remake stuff you do not understand. Seriously. Just because you work in the cash/treasury department at a Hollywood production company doesn't mean you need to commission a remake of every Japanese story that has sold a few tickets.

May this be a lesson for those who want to remake Kimi No Na Wa. Prepare for failure. If we want to watch it..... WE WILL WATCH THE ORIGINAL!
103 out of 119 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I remember when film critics used to give bad reviews for silly scripts
leibygreyson12 May 2019
I just felt like the remake was unnecessary especially since it is far too bad to be taken seriously. I personally didn't watch the original and just went for the DVD to be entertained by a story. Instead Scarlet Johansson looks out of place, the wrong race and frankly is annoying. Serves up a good lesson that big budget is not always quality.
93 out of 109 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unattractive Mary Sue Whitewashes...
bronsencollins22 April 2019
This money seeking product has been homogenized, pasteurized and sterilized by the Hollywood Lack of Originality Machine for the pickpocketing of the stupid. The end result is a product that is totally Americanized without any Japanese nutritional value but it contains a Japanese mother nonetheless. Acting ability is not a requirement.
84 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All the sex-appeal, none of the heart.
gborkhataria9 August 2018
Clearly, the design team are talented and this film is indeed a visual spectacle, but the director clearly doesn't understand why the anime was special. This barely touches on the core themes of the original, it is hollow, beautiful, but hollow.
173 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Scarlet Johansson has a clue about Ghost In The Shell
petersonsamir27 April 2019
Then I am the reincarnation of Buddha.

Shouldn't have watched it It was boring and scenes were happening for no reason. The supreme capitalist is defeated by a girl who doesn't even know what a system is. This film doesn't have any good actors either.
77 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A really stupid take on a Japanese animation
mysterarrow3 May 2019
This take of a animation film did very well. The forced robots in kimono were over the top and they moved witouth a purpose. You also get zero connection with the characters. It is a remake film so you have to laugh at the Americanization, but it was worth a sneer.
79 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ohh ahhhh uuuuhhhhh we found a film we haven't alredy remade, reimagined, made a sequel of, made a prequel of
camaronmiles4 May 2019
Quick pay the rights owner a fistful of dollars and let's get it done!

How lame. What was wrong with the original? Why not have an original idea?

Hi Hollywood, next time be 'original' and brownwash or yellowash or purplewash. Yeah, I want a film with a white person/character remade with an Indian now being the character.
88 out of 110 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Embarrassing as a Japanese
h-384245 November 2018
I am Japanese and I get sad when I see this film. I cannot understand why western directors and producers always want to copy eastern and Japanese art including movies but never understand it or give it's quality treatment. Very strange. From Japan I say hiring one Japanese actor doesn't make your responsibility wash away.
212 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank-you to the American remakers!
fernandavienot17 April 2019
We thank you for making this remake. Please remake more Japanese films. Thank you for not having original scripts. Let me tell you why! I fell in love with my girlfriend's brother as a result of this American remake. We are so happy now as a result! Thank you very much!! Some of the best LGBTQIA content out there.
76 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Why do people like this film
joanne-hadewiger23 March 2019
OK I know its not as bad as the Disney Star Wars but even if it were a stand alone film it is down there with the worst of the Hollywood remakes.

1. There is not a single good performance from any of the actors. 2. The set design both outside and inside is derivative. 3. Llke many recent films it is filled with interminable action/chase scenes this is why both fans and critics hate it. 4. The story line is much simplified from the original works within the constraints of a mass market movie. 5. I disliked it and already forgot what was in it. II
98 out of 126 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An all around pathetic movie! Don't pay for race baiting trolls.
stormy-lover18 November 2018
For those that haven't watched the anime: This is an all around pathetic standard American remake! The acting, editing and soundtrack are boring. I truly disliked it all and I recommend not bothering with it on DVD if you value your time or want to be entertained. There are people complaining about the main character being white, this is absolute true. Spoiler: Hollywood relies on stupidity and lack of intelligence, it doesn't matter what color they are as long as it whitewashes or whatever because all films are ethnically targetted. Don't listen to the studio troll reviews giving it a 10/10. Anyone that rates a 10 is idiotic, this is not some great film. For those that have watched the anime: SPOILER: everything is according to the anime but inferior and made stupid. This should bum you out because they just remade it to make cash out of you. I truly had a boring time seeing it come to DVD. You will regret it unless you get a good afternoon snooze out of it.
127 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just watch the original
bwq-2539313 November 2018
If you insist on watching that is. There is no point to this remake other than the compulsion to churn out 'product ' also Scarlet Johansson still cannot act whatsoever . How is it that she is still working? Btw why was she walking around like a baboon?
127 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Have not watched the original
xcq-1927616 May 2018
I have not watched the original, but this film was pretty boring and made me feel incredulous. I suppose I should just avoid all these remakes and sequels Hollywood so loves. There was a scene where an assassin attacks the head of the intelligence and he not only knew it was coming (how?) but also put up a piece of something in front of his face and none of the many bullets sprayed at him even grazed him. In another scene the enemy unleashed a barrage of canon fire at the android. Even her hair was not ruffled. So on and so forth. Whatever.
273 out of 371 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As a Japanese person i feel Americans have not an idea about these ideas they re-made
jordanyyordin24 August 2019
But does American audience notice this or they think these remades are alright? It is embarrassing that the story center is dead and not at all addressed but remade film is also focus more on making Japanese American and also make silly action scene. Of course we don't really watch these remade films here so it is American problem.
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood is a joke
truettxzayvion7 August 2019
And what is funny it does not even realize it.

We have reached peak sequel, prequel, remake, universe. Which other industry has no new ideas, constantly remakes and rips off and still walks around in broad daylight?

This was not Ghost In The Shell. this was Americans thinking what Ghost in The Shell was complete with Hollywood's standard issue starlet never dying or failing no matter what!
24 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First they whitewash
gic-6673511 November 2018
Then they ask why people notice it. Couple that with a Mary Sue android who is invincible and we have all the trappings off film that makes you and I go zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
107 out of 144 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have a white, I have a wash, boom Whitewash
cheoasriel13 June 2019
I Rather Watch the orange retard's home video doing Ivanka than this

All cashing in, no art.

If you want to call your film Ghost In The Shell, but are happy to leave the existential subject behind, it creates a product without much of a reason..
38 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fake Cyberpunk
pvhkqmgj16 March 2018
A boring movie with no real feeling to it. Ignore the studio hags and skip this movie.
360 out of 516 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Junkie
tqv-8083524 April 2018
Hollywood is a junkie that is beyond help and redemption.

It is addicted to the drug of remakes and sequels. It is just terrible. Copy/inferior paste, copy/inferior paste, ad nauseam.

With 10% originality and story telling left in Hollywood we have to stay home and be rid of this stupidity. Scarlet Johansson, Paul Feig, Jar Jar Abrams, Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of the hacks should just throw in the towel.

Man, I cringed for almost two hours trying to get to the end of this DVD. What did it add to the original? Nothing? Exactly.

Takeshi Kitano looked like he is cringing right alongside me.
325 out of 465 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Worst Remake/Reboot/Rekaka since Ghostbusters
srh-5896928 March 2018
What is it with US and its need to steal borrow and loot?? Just have your own ideas and make those and no pone will mock you. End of story.

Also, Scarlet Johansson is really scraping the bottom of the barrel She needs to branch into something else and pretend that is her passion and go do that. Suggestions: fashion, running a 'lifestyle' website or delivering milk door-to-door. Whatever. As long as it is not 'acting.' The Japanese guy in this film really really looks like he wants the camera to pixelate his face. That is how embarrassed he is! The robot android cyborg whatever having its own mind and disobeying rules and not being the right facial appearance is also pretty wacky.
284 out of 405 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is what happens in a right-wing capitalist system
uyv-0069815 March 2018
They have no ideas and no plot and just need to make money money money and more money so they keep stealing, begging and borrowing and remaking stuff they don't understand and don't want to or care to understand. Unbelievable how stupid and meaningless this thing is. Sure there is amazing CGI, but does that make a film or a story? No. What is laughable is Scarlet Johansson. She is the wrong race. OK everyone knows that. Can someone, however, explain to me why she walks like an orangutan? What is that? Is she supposed to be a cyborg that is in touch with humans' evolutionary cousins?? 2/10
250 out of 358 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Am Related to The producer
robert-l-levy2 November 2018
And he asked me to join the upvoting campaign. I have to be honest though, my friend. MEH

IF you have watched every other remake then watch this one.

It is boring

It puts you to sleep too

It features Scarlet who is a member of the tribe, but she is no good here

I absolutely hated it

Keeping it real, my brother
138 out of 194 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ghostless Shell
michaeltong-291807 July 2017
It would be very difficult for an adaptation to live up to the 1995 Ghost in the Shell anime film but this doesn't even come close. I didn't want to hate it, but it was so bad I couldn't finish it.

It's hard to pick out which element is the worst because it falls flat on every one. The story isn't engaging, the dialogue is bad and poorly delivered, the action isn't exciting, the art design is bland and so is the soundtrack.

1995's Ghost in the Shell has a very hypnotic, slow paced rhythm much like Blade Runner, but this live action version just feels so generic despite the fact that they try to recall some aspects of the anime films and TV shows.

The whole thing just looks and feels cheap, like a soulless copy of its former self. If you haven't seen the 1995 or 2004 anime films you might not have such a high bar and might be able to tolerate it, but even on its own it isn't very good and there are many sci-fi films that do it better, much better.
315 out of 459 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scarlet Johansson needs a new line of work
fwj-3319428 September 2018
Stop whitewashing

Film is worst of the worst

Its music and stupid metaphysics ambiance is garbage. I hated it.
126 out of 179 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
tostealing from Japan
prentissbraedon11 April 2019
Or anywhere for that matter!

Missing in this film: A single good actor or actress A story Any sense Any idea about Ghost In The Shell universe A single pretty girl I want to look at with nice hair or nice body
41 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.