First Man (2018) Poster

(2018)

A lot more than just a standard biopic
dirty_chords6 October 2018
This is my interepretation of a film I wasn't ready to love. Boy, was I wrong.

Based on the book "First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong" by James R. Hansen, director Damien Chazelle and writer Josh Singer took the chronicle of an American triumph and emphasised on the personal story behind it. Through Armstrong's stance, the film makes a clear point: Determination, struggle, sacrifice and most of all failure are key ingredients to someone's eventual success. But in order to achieve success you've got to risk everything, albeit success is never guaranteed.

In one scene, Janet Armstrong (excellently played by Claire Foy) claims that she only wanted to lead an ordinary life with her husband. On the contrary, Neil has made a clear choice: He will try to accomplish his great mission, knowing that it is quite possible his kids will never see their father again.

Whenever signs of arrogance, conceit and complacency are shown, they are an omen of failure. On the other hand, Armstrong's attitude is the epitome of how success is to be achieved. He is quite commited to his mission and never behaves immaturely when it comes to it. He is focused on his goal. Family and social life, well that's another story (we often see that Armstrong is incapable of communicating or expressing his feelings to his dearest ones).

Portraying such an introvert character, Gosling has a sole major moment to shine, in a very important scene which proves to be pivotal in terms of what the movie tries to communicate: USA went to the moon to win the Cold War, while Armstrong, after being marked by tragedy, went to the moon in order to find peace (and by the time his daughter's old memento reappears, we assume he has found some). The film is about him; it doesn't care that much about the US agenda. In fact, I thought that it only showed subtle contempt towards the nationalistic celebrations and the passionate political speeches aimed at boosting the spirit of the American people.

Moreover, First Man is one of those biopics where you know what is about to happen, but can't help but get caught up in the rising suspense of its great scenes. At their most exciting, these scenes reach a very satisfying climax, rewarding the audience's patience. Directing and cinematography deserve every accolade they have gotten so far.
100 out of 143 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, Not Great
bobzmcishl3 October 2018
I saw this movie at a sneak preview, and I had high expectations given the hype, but sadly, this was no "The Right Stuff." The problem may lie in the main character on which the movie is based, Neil Armstrong. He is portrayed as a colorless technocrat, who is somewhat cold to his family. The movie focuses mainly on his family relationships, and the landing on the moon is somewhat secondary, therefore the movie lacks a lot of drama. This is unfortunate since Armstrong led a very charmed life as a fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. The movie covers three of his serious incidents while flying, and he had at least three more, that could have been covered in a miniseries. A miniseries would have allowed for more in-depth probing of how Armstrong became the man he was. The main characters all suffer from superficial once overs. The astronauts were all household names but you wouldn't know it from this movie. The movie also had a hard time capturing just how terrifying some of the events were. Apollo 13 did a far better job of recounting the terror of that flight. Claire Foy as the wife was ok but she also had a degree of coldness about her. The movie also glosses over the misplaced disdain military pilots had for their civilian counterparts. The complaint was that civilian pilots by virtue of their engineering training were too mechanical and not true flyers. This was not true of Armstrong who got his pilots license at the age of 17. The movie should have started there. He was considered a brilliant engineer by his peers, and he was rightfully selected to be the commander of Apollo 11. That brilliance is not captured on screen. By the end of his career he had flown over 200 different aircraft. He was a giant. I think the movie should have brought that out.
133 out of 214 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From Utterly Terrifying Spaceflight To Raw Emotional Gut-Punch, First Man is Setllar
BlurayAddictAU28 September 2018
First Man, directed by Damien Chazelle cold opens with that I could only describe as an absolutely terrifying look at what it was like to be a test pilot in the 60's, you hear every little nut and bolt warping and you feel every massive unnerving vibration for what felt like an eternity. This set the tone for the rest of the film and signalled that we were in for one hell of a ride.

And yet First Man is not just a bunch of planes and rockets flying around, in fact the entire Film is mostly more focused on Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling) and how all of these event leading up to the Moon Landing affected him, specifically his mental state. This is where the film absolutely excels, by chronicling his journey from test pilot all the way to Apollo, losing friends along the way.

Gosling and Claire Foy push out really stellar performances here, the relationship between the two seems very very plausible and there is a lot of very emotionally charged scenes between them throughout. The supporting cast is packed to the brim with recognisable faces too, a standout for me was Jason Clarke's performance as Ed White, the first American to EVA in space who at first I thought I really wasn't going to like the character but by the mid-point of the film I was sold.

One of the qualities of First Man that I noticed almost instantly was the very unique Cinematography which most of the time uses handheld medium to long telephoto shots creating a very intimate and raw look to the images on screen. The other main quality visually is the fact that most of the film was shot with 2-perf Techniscope film which gives a very organic vintage look, usually i'd take issue with a lower resolution stock for a film like this but here it really fits in with the overall aesthetics.

In First Man we do get some really ridiculously stellar space sequences, the way these are edited and shot create almost pure dread, in fact the only time I have felt this on edge was when I saw Gravity for the first time, it is that bloody good. Production design is fantastic and of course when we get to the Apollo sequence the images on the screen are graceful and an utterly mesmerising experience.

From impeccably shot terrifying spaceflight to absolute gut wrenching heartbreak, First Man is something to be seen on the biggest screen possible with the loudest sound. I highly recommend this film and the moment this comes out in UltraHD you can be sure I'll be there Day 1.

Thanks to Universal Pictures Australia for the invite to the Premiere.
102 out of 166 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautifully told and respectable portrait of the famous astronaut's life and the significance of his contribution to human history
MrDHWong11 October 2018
First Man is a historical biographical drama film based on the life of astronaut Neil Armstrong, directed by Damien Chazelle (Whiplash, La La Land). Starring Ryan Gosling in the lead role, it paints a beautifully told and respectable portrait of the famous astronaut's life and the significance of his contribution to human history.

In the 1960s, the space race between the USA and the USSR is at its peak, with the latter having a clear lead over the former. In attempt to outdo the Soviets, the United States plans a manned mission to the moon, with astronaut Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling) being the first to set foot on the lunar surface. Despite the deep personal losses he has endured throughout his training and in his home life, Armstrong agrees to the mission, knowing full well that he may not come back alive.

Superbly directed and acted, the film is less a story about the space race itself and more about the struggles and perseverance of titular first man. Ryan Gosling gives what could very well be the performance of his career. His nuanced depiction of Neil Armstrong shows the audience how much the astronaut has to lose if he does not survive such a monumental journey. Claire Foy is also worth noting as Armstrong's first wife Janet. Her concern and worry for her husband's safe return from the moon were brilliantly represented during the film's more emotional scenes. Director Damien Chazelle demonstrates his talent for creative cinematography, showing the vastness of space and how small and insignificant Earth is in comparison. Films like this truly emphasise how much mankind has accomplished in the short amount of time we have existed and further highlight how much more is needed to be done.

I rate it a solid 9/10
71 out of 120 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good film ruined...
freddieisgod13 October 2018
This is a fascinating story well told & brilliantly acted. However for me the film is ruined by the constant shaky camera.

From about 2 minutes into the film I was feeling motion sickness and spent the rest of the film either with my eyes closed or looking at the floor.

The sections with a steady camera such as the scenes on the moon were beautifully done and fantastic... so why ruin the rest of the movie with constant nauseating shaky camera work??
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredibly Moving, Visually Stunning, and Simply Breathtaking.
jlthornb515 September 2018
I was fortunate to see this fantastic movie at a small film festival in Oregon and it was a wonderful cinematic experience. A Visually stunning story of one of the great achievements of humanity. The science is fascinating and the effort behind that science is paid a wonderful tribute. The journey to the moon is as much a spiritual one as a human achievement. The men who made that trip are portrayed in all their humanness and incredible dedication. This is indeed a patriotic film and despite some controversy regarding not depicting the planting of the flag on the moon, flags are everywhere in the movie and the flag is certainly shown at the landing site. There is no doubt this was an American accomplishment and that is clearly celebrated. The inexplicable controversy about the U.S. flag is one of those contrived internet stinks from fringe elements who have never seen the film. It would be a tragedy to allow such nonsense to savage a film that is so inspiring and emotionally satisfying. This is a spectacular, exciting, stunning film and it should be seen by everyone as a reminder of the beauty of what happened in July, 1969.
179 out of 336 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A cinematic masterpiece.
Shellwonderful3 October 2018
Gosling and Foy are at the top of their game in this one. Damien Chazelle managed to make a perfect moon landing movie that shows both the positives and negatives of the NASA program. Don't go into this thinking it's a huge patriotic, space adventure. What we get is a masterful character study and a story about the emotional and familial effects being an astronaut can have on somebody. The space and launch sequences are absolutely breath taking as well.

Do not let the runtime scare you. Every minutes counts and it's all worth it.
79 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glacially-paced, muddled film
rac70114 October 2018
"First Man," the highly anticipated (partial) bio-pic about Neil Armstrong, the commander of NASA's Apollo 11 mission and the first man (thus the title) to walk on the moon, is a muddled mess.

Director Damien Chazelle's film-making choices, from shaky, way-too-close cinema verite close-ups and long, long silences (OK, OK, we know Neil Armstrong was a Silent Sam type) to banging, shaking, roaring and rattling blackout shots where the viewer can't understand what's going on, to lack of exposition (about precisely that -- what's going on), to Armstrong's constantly angry wife, are not only disorienting, but unpleasantly distracting.

This film can't hold a candle to superior films like "The Right Stuff," "Apollo 13," or the excellent made-for-cable HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon."

Neil Armstrong deserved much better than this.
72 out of 132 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dizzying (not in a good way), slow and a bit boring
b-nice8 October 2018
I am not a film critic or student of the arts, but I do appreciate a good movie and, in my opinion, this was not one. The movie moves at a snail's pace and Chazelle's decision to shoot the majority of the movie with shaky handhelds and extreme closeups led to some real dizzying feelings for me and my wife. I felt a sense of claustrophobia the entire film due to the extreme close up and jump cuts. Maybe I am a bit dense and this is what the filmmaker was going for, but it made it a very uncomfortable experience. I kept waiting for him to pan out!

The actual story was a bit long and tedious and we never felt any real connection with the characters. The most intriguing character in the film was Buzz Aldrin and he was passed by -- I need someone to make Second Man!!! :-).

Overall, not a pleasant night at the movies.
154 out of 301 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been great
incrediball14 October 2018
Much has been said about how visually stunning this movie is so we chose the biggest screen in the country to view it on. It did not take long before we had regretted this choice. All but the sequence on the moon was unworthy of an IMAX screen while the entire rest of the movie was jittery, shaky, extreme and out of focus close ups, crazy pans and tilts, zooming in and out, etc all made doubly irritating because of the size of the screen. Totally ruined the movie for us with many non-action scenes totally unwatchable. It could have even been a 9 out of 10 but for us was barely watchable. One of us was even sick and I only didn't walk out because of the subject material and the hope that it would improve, which thankfully it did for the short moon sequence.

I honestly don't understand the attraction to this type of cinematography. We humans simply do not see the world in this way and so this only reminds us that we are watching a movie, thus taking us out of the moment and putting us back in the seat in the cinema, especially so as we often preferred to look at objects in the cinema than at the screen much of the time! However what do I know, it would not surprise me if it gets an Academy Award for cinematography.
51 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wrong Stuff
aylwardpaul12 October 2018
Boring and self-important. The photography of nearly all action scenes is a real disappointment. The film misses way too many opportunities to tell what should be an enthralling story. You are better served watching The Right Stuff, The Martian, or Apollo 13.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like watching a metronome.
biggiebaby17 October 2018
Gosling at his one dimensional best. Cluncky and disjointed, the story rides along like a low budget wannabe art film, but, with high budget actors. No character development to speak of just long lonesome staring off to the right of the camera lens. With the possible exception of the ubiquitous wife/mother scene demanding emotions from the husband/father. First Man Joins the ranks of movies you'll watch once and never again.
16 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
munstermoon11 October 2018
Has some pretty cool special effects and action sequences on the realistic side, which I appreciate, but it is too loud and in your face close-ups that are overdone, especially in IMAX. Otherwise, it has some really bad family relationship stuff that is not warm and human and just downright boring. Could not stand the actress who played his wife, so if his wife was like that she was a great actress. They also made Buzz Aldrin look like a selfish jerk just there for his own glory, while everyone else was portrayed as humble and team oriented. I've met Buzz a couple of times and he was a great guy, and a man's man and I'm sure no more arrogant and cocky than that breed of pilots had to be to do that job.
90 out of 181 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Man, A Slog
mmovieca10 October 2018
First Man has the look and feel of a horror film. It feels very long and boring although it runs just over 2 hours. There is no sense of triumph, discovery, or success in the film. Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy have no chemistry. Ultimately Neil Armstrong is a very dull characters without clear goals or ambition. Do not watch this film expecting triumphant or patriotic look at scientific discovery. It isn't that kind of film. It appears designed to elicit depression from the audience and it succeeds. One watches anxiously waiting for the climax, the moon landing, which feels anti-climactic and leaves viewers empty. Both the writer and director are out of their depth with this ambitious film. The strong elements of the film are the visual effects and production design, convincing and state of the art. If not for these elements the film would get a 2.
83 out of 167 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get out of their faces!
DosLenyos13 October 2018
Close-up, after close-up, after close-up. The director of photography should be dragged outside and tarred and feathered. As if the capsule scenes weren't claustrophobic enough, did every scene with the actors have to be so tightly cropped? Gosling is not a serious actor - his portrayal of a true American hero was exhausting. Also, why do directors these days cast actors in roles of real historical people that do not even closely resemble them (Buzz Aldrin excluded)? It makes it hard to follow who is who, especially since a lot of the characters are not well developed at all. Skip it at the cineplex and watch it on video.
50 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not go if you suffer motion sickness!!
deeble18514 October 2018
I went to see this movie with my partner, her mother and a 14 year old cousin. While we all appreciated it, that was the strongest recommendation from any of us. My major problem with the film was the "action" camera work. While I understand that hand held shots lead to a greater sense of immediacy, having the camera 10 cm away from the subject and shaking it violently did not draw me in, rather it repulsed me. I literally closed my eyes for any sequence where this effect was used, as it was hurting me to watch it. As far as the story goes, it felt incredibly slow and distanced. In the interpretation of Armstrong as a person, it seemed to drive me away from relating to him or the situation, and I had no sense of the grandeur or the excitement that should have accompanied such a story. I was tempted to see this movie by the 2013 webby award winning site, and I can still say that the actual recordings are much more engaging than this film.
27 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incoherence marries Interstellar (seen in IMAX)
yumachurchdirectory12 October 2018
There's a huge difference between something that was ugly from the start and something beautiful that was marred. This film is the latter. Gorgeous shots, creative composition and movement and cinematic energy are juxtaposed (intentionally, but not necessarily well) with shots that I can only conlude were taken by putting the camera at the end of a giant spring doorstop and *thwang*ing it, and somehow doing the same with the audio.

Disorientation, lack of visuals, and auditory confusion are all key to portraying period's equipment and technology. However, there is a rhythm of confusion and order in space faring filmmaking. It's being upside down and sideways, struggling to regain control of the craft, audible and visual chaos, etc. that movies like 2001 A Space Odyssey and Interstellar perfect, but "First Man" gets so so wrong.

The second issue with the film is it's extraordinarily poor character relatability. After losing their daughter in the first scenes of the film, Neil and Janet Armstrong are emotionless and heartless characters, but not in a manner that's useful for storytelling. Their rare displays of feeling are in Janet's case put off onto an apparent smoking addiction and in Neil's case shielded by his reflective headpiece (with the exception of a spoilery moment that didn't ring true because of lack of substantive foreshadowing).

We've all seen gorgeous imagery of landscapes in space. I wanted to feel the moment of man's first steps and the look on Neil's face, and all I got was a half-recreation, half-historical footage emotionless piece any youtuber could have made.

Then there's Buzz Aldrin, whom Damien Chazelle really seems to have it in for, making him out to be a royal a-hole at every turn and earning the disgust of Armstrong. But it all backfires on Chazelle, because he gave zero screen time to any relationship building between the two men, who are described by historians as having a great working relationship despite being very different men. But no, according to this film, Buzz was an a-hole, and we don't know much else. Do you think NASA would have allowed two men to depend their lives upon one another if they had that poor of a bond?

There has been much attention given to the film for things like it's attention to the flight maneuvers and descent onto the lunar surface, but zero attention is given to the things that people want to know: who decided who would step out first? How did Collins feel seeing the moon from so close but yet having to stay in the command module? What was it like to plant the american flag? Show us the reactions of houston, his family, and the planet as a whole!

But no, just panorama shots of the surface and flashbacks to a picnic.

5 stars in generous for this extreme disappointment.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad soundtrack, shaky handheld camera, no drama or suspense
dale-4344112 October 2018
I was hoping for a movie similar to Apollo-13 but First Man isn't even close. I just saw it at the Imax and was very disappointed. First Man isn't even about the science involved with putting a man on the moon but rather about the discontentment and difficulties between Armstrong and his wife. There is very little drama or suspense throughout the entire movie. The movie has zero humor and is basicly very dark portrayal of Armstrong. The camera is shaky throughout and always on extreme closeup shots. The worst thing was that the soundtrack was terrible which to me and makes the difference between a good or mediocre movie. First Man could easily have been a made for TV movie in my humble opinion.
40 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over-long, over-hyped, over-rated
ozjosh0316 October 2018
The only real distinction of First Man may be that it's the first over-hyped and over-rated film of next year's Oscar crop. It's a film that is dismally defeated by its own subject matter at every turn. First it wants to be an illuminating, insightful study of Neil Armstrong. But on the evidence of everything it offers, Armstrong was simply not that interesting. If the most startling discovery about your hero is that he was sad about his infant daughter's death, then you're already in deep trouble. Nor is it hugely surprising that a guy who is dedicated to preparing for a mission to the moon isn't exactly a well-rounded, socially adept human being. But many a fascinating film has been built around a cerebral, emotionally-distant, socially awkward character, right? True enough, but it takes an actor with a much greater skill set than Ryan Gosling to make such a character interesting. First Man is essentially two hours of Gosling mooching around trying to find some way of making Armstrong's interior life compelling. That he fails isn't entirely due to his own shortcomings as an actor, but to a screenplay that does little more than rely on his good looks and the "glamour" of the space race to make Armstrong interesting. But the second big fail of First Man is that it doesn't offer us anything particularly new or interesting about the moon mission. Chazelle's strategy is to eschew the cliches of space movies - the focus on technology and the astronaut's eye view - and stay close on his heroes through interminable sequences in juddering space capsules. There's nothing new about this, other than it being the main, sometimes sole focus. Unfortunately, it becomes tedious long before we get to Apollo 11's trek to the moon. Even the ultimate moon sequence offers little that we don't already know from the grainy footage of the real event that everyone has seen hundreds of times. In short, the term "epic fail" could have been invented to describe First Man.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great visuals, lacks the drama of other treatments
madorosh14 October 2018
Pretty much gets a 'meh' from me. The story has been told well in From the Earth to the Moon and the film Moonshot. The visuals are stunning, and I do like the (mostly) first person point of view which adds immediacy. Gemini missions never looked so dangerous and claustrophic, which is good. But the film-makers had a choice between covering new ground, and retreading the same ground the other films did, and didn't seem to come down firmly on either side. All the drama of the Apollo 11 landing was pretty much sucked out - yes, it's a foregone conclusion how it will end - but they really dumbed it down, to the film's detriment. Aldrin is reduced to a minor character - and not very sympathetically portrayed, though I'm okay with the latter. No doubt people found him abrasive. But we see none of the clashes that are famously portrayed in the other films (who gets out first, what should be said). Maybe that's the point of the film, we're not *supposed* to know anyone because Armstrong himself was so private and unengaged with those around him.

The one thing I thought this movie did better than the others was the actual first step on the moon. I thought From the Earth to the Moon did a slightly comical job, inadvertently, by panning the camera to Armstrong's midsection just as the music swelled. First Man gets this moment right, with a much different musical approach. The scenery looks absolutely real, and the crater that Armstrong flies over in order to land looks as terrifying as it is supposed to, something the other film's could only hint at through dialogue.

For those who have the transcript of the landing memorized, though, it's a bit too bad not to hear "413 is in" and much of the other famous dialogue - "drifting to the right a little", "picking up some dust."

Worth seeing for the visuals and the Gemini 8 portrayal but all in all seemed, to me, to be a bit shallow. We all know Armstrong bit his tongue bailing out of the LLTV, but this is one of the many details left out in order to streamline the film.

Oh, and the idiotic "where is the flag" controversy is completely unjustified. If you just have to see the Stars and Stripes, there's a very nice shot of Armstrong's kids hoisting the flag on their front lawn during a launch.
Shake it all about
duncl-6843814 October 2018
This is certainly no Apollo 13

Instead of special effects they just keep shaking the camera relentlessly. There again they couldn't even film Janet Armstrong walking down her drive without shaking the camera a bit. Despite all the advances in CGI they could have probably made this on a small budget back in 1975.

It is noticeable that what I believe to be stock NASA footage like the LEM taking off is way smoother and more watchable than other bits of "Spaceflight"

There are too many close ups and not enough story telling. If Neil Armstrong really was so brooding then maybe they should of featured more of other characters like Buzz Aldrin who in his few scenes actually comes across as an enthusiastic guy.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the dullest movies I have ever seen.
joppawilliam12 October 2018
Dull does not begin to describe this tediously slow and poorly directed film. No chemistry between any of the actors. Bad dialog, long blank stares, and jerky camera work. I like historical dramas, but this has to be one of the worst films I've seen in the last 20 years.
44 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A pre school kid with a video camera
petercarlsson-9229713 October 2018
What a dud. Shaky camera work for no reason at all. Extreme close up, and almost every scen is too dark. The actors are totally deprived of any emotion. Only Claire Foy seems lik a real person. The others feel like biological robots.

None of the drama of mission control are to be found in this movie. And the hundreds of thousands of people that was there for the launch is just ignored. No drama, no build up, no feeling.

The only thing this movie does is make you long to see "Apollo 13" again. That was a real movie with all the elements in it to enjoy, entertain, and thrill the audience. Do yourself a favor and miss out on "First Man".

One man in the audience actually left the theater in the middle of the movie with the loud comment: "What a crap movie this is!". I had high hopes, so I sat through it, but now i kind of agrees with him.
35 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come Fly with Me
aciessi13 October 2018
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.".

Neil Armstrong did the impossible in 1969. As the U.S. and the Russians ran a cut-throat competition to see who could reach new imperial heights in outer space, it was Armstrong, Aldrin and all the good folks at NASA that took it upon themselves to wage an all-out, all costs battle to touch our lunar friend in the sky, plant our flag and mark it ours. They all did just that on July 20th, 1969 as millions of Americans sat in front of their TV sets and watched the first ever glimpses of the surface of our moon. Ever since, space travel has expanded and advanced to heights beyond our wildest dreams and to think there's an eternity left to be discovered. But the story of the moon landing has just as much to do with the man that Armstrong was as it does with the nation that let him pursue his remarkable journey. First Man is perhaps the most fitting cinematic memorial of one of the most incredible men that ever lived.

Walking out of the screening, I kept thinking how impossible it was to imagine anyone having brought this film to life other than Damien Chazelle. If Whiplash was an excruciating assault of the senses detailing the teeth-nashing art of drumming, First Man is a sensory body blow that needs to be experienced on the largest screen possible and the loudest sound system you can find. Chazelle found a way to place us right there in the spacecraft. The shaking, the pounding, the soaring and the crashing into earth. I hear simulators on Earth can gives us near perfect space travel experiences, but the entire masterful opening sequence will suffice for me. I was clawing the back of my seat. It's a moment in film you'll never forget. Even more so is the final sequence on the moon. Armstrong exits the ship, and the soundtrack cuts out immediately. You take it all in. The miles of sediment leading to a black abyss. You look up, and there's Earth staring back at you. The only thing we see of Armstrong is the reflection on his helmet of what's in front of him. Apollo 13, eat your heart out for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

In between the breathless, action-packed space travel sequences is an unexpected emotional journey into Armstrong's family life. The loss of his youngest daughter, and his wife, Janet, who begs him never to travel to the moon, out of certainty that he'd be gone soon after. Claire Foy is a powerhouse and steals the show as she corners the boys at NASA for a stern talking to. Never get in the way of the strong woman behind every great man. These scenes don't carry the effectual gravitas of the scenes in outer space, rather, they come across as home movies, complete with a shaky 16mm camera. Authenticity is what is being strived for here, and it sure accomplishes that. What is also not lost in First Man is Chazelle's ear for good music and how to utilize it powerfully. First Man is no musical, that's for certain, but throughout the film, little cues from scratchy records of the 1950's captures the tenderness of Neil and Janet, and the underlying love story that thematically bookends our experience.

This is a story not just about accomplishment, but self pride and selfless love of those that are nearest to you. It's what keeps us all going, and it's comforting to know that it's what got Mr. Armstrong to the moon. This has been a long winded explanation in telling you all that First Man shouldn't be missed this season.
29 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Visually Spectacular Epic!
paulwigglesworth13 September 2018
Just saw the IMAX world premiere at TIFF. The film is a character study of eil Armstrong against the backdrop of the spectacular epic journey to put man on the moon. It offers genuinely interesting insight into Armstrong's mind and family life and how this affected him throughout the whole process of going to space. The film will clearly dazzle with realistic depictions of the astronauts in training and travelling in space.

Gosling has an impressive and solid performance. Foy's role was a more muted performance...her role was perhaps less demanding.

The film is an excellent one, well worth the watching!
56 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.