First Man (2018) Poster

(2018)

A lot more than just a standard biopic
dirty_chords6 October 2018
This is my interepretation of a film I wasn't ready to love. Boy, was I wrong.

Based on the book "First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong" by James R. Hansen, director Damien Chazelle and writer Josh Singer took the chronicle of an American triumph and emphasised on the personal story behind it. Through Armstrong's stance, the film makes a clear point: Determination, struggle, sacrifice and most of all failure are key ingredients to someone's eventual success. But in order to achieve success you've got to risk everything, albeit success is never guaranteed.

In one scene, Janet Armstrong (excellently played by Claire Foy) claims that she only wanted to lead an ordinary life with her husband. On the contrary, Neil has made a clear choice: He will try to accomplish his great mission, knowing that it is quite possible his kids will never see their father again.

Whenever signs of arrogance, conceit and complacency are shown, they are an omen of failure. On the other hand, Armstrong's attitude is the epitome of how success is to be achieved. He is quite commited to his mission and never behaves immaturely when it comes to it. He is focused on his goal. Family and social life, well that's another story (we often see that Armstrong is incapable of communicating or expressing his feelings to his dearest ones).

Portraying such an introvert character, Gosling has a sole major moment to shine, in a very important scene which proves to be pivotal in terms of what the movie tries to communicate: USA went to the moon to win the Cold War, while Armstrong, after being marked by tragedy, went to the moon in order to find peace (and by the time his daughter's old memento reappears, we assume he has found some). The film is about him; it doesn't care that much about the US agenda. In fact, I thought that it only showed subtle contempt towards the nationalistic celebrations and the passionate political speeches aimed at boosting the spirit of the American people.

Moreover, First Man is one of those biopics where you know what is about to happen, but can't help but get caught up in the rising suspense of its great scenes. At their most exciting, these scenes reach a very satisfying climax, rewarding the audience's patience. Directing and cinematography deserve every accolade they have gotten so far.
254 out of 364 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It felt genuine but left me bored
fallyhag14 October 2018
The attempt to make it all feel dated and real worked well. There were no glossy space scenes. Add some interesting sounds and a lot of shakes can and the overal scene approach works.

But then there is the story. We all know what happens. So it was just about the angle they approached it at. Unfortunately they picked the boring angle.

The struggle with grieving was irritating. The lack of substance in the characters was disappointing. The frame was non existent. The length too long. The outcome underwhelming. The ending an anti climatic relief.

I will remember this film for the dirty toilets, great acting and my repeated checking of my watch. If you want to learn a tiny bit then watch it. But it is sadly no masterpiece. Let down but the story telling...

Recommend? Yes. On a Sunday...
206 out of 298 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thru the eyes of the first man
daniel-dippel20 October 2018
I now laugh when I reread some of the negative reviews - to summarize: it made me have motion sickness so I left, didn't develop the orher characters enough, too somber and brooding, didn't cover all of the events of Niel Armstrongs career, etc. Well, most of these individuals missed the point of the movie or don't understand this genre of storytelling. It is a first person account basically told through the eyes of the first person to walk on the moon. I found this refreshing and not your typical Hollywood approach of trying to fit too much, too thinly for such an epic sweeping story that covers decades and dozen of key figures. It could have been 3-3.5 hours long. Yes, it could have been a TV mini-series or two (or more) movies. I love that it was told through the eyes of one central figure. Told through the eyes of the man that all of the accumulated effort of thousands of people and billions of dollars spent to accomplish one goal before the Soviets and for humankind - having a human step foot on the moon for the first time. I cannot remember a cinematic experience that got me as close to experiencing what it was truly like to be there first hand, in the drivers seat if you will, or better put, insabely strapped into a coffin fixed atop a massive liquid fuel explosion. How any person would be brave enough to face this, be able to perform well while in the thick of it and want to do it again and again is beyond words (or sanity). With death and fear all around no wonder there was a dark cloud hanging over everyone. I am sure all of us have marvelled at what has been accomplished by the NASA space missions especially Apollo. The movie Apollo 13 was a very good story that I thought put me as close to being an Astronaut as i could get. I was wrong. So, go and see First Man. Go and let yourself become THE astronaut. THE first human that was there at the very top of a giant pyramid of people because many before had made the ultimate sacrifice to make possible one giant leap for mankind. i will never look at another manned space vehicle, past or present, or astronaut again the same way,
193 out of 285 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, Not Great
bobzmcishl3 October 2018
I saw this movie at a sneak preview, and I had high expectations given the hype, but sadly, this was no "The Right Stuff." The problem may lie in the main character on which the movie is based, Neil Armstrong. He is portrayed as a colorless technocrat, who is somewhat cold to his family. The movie focuses mainly on his family relationships, and the landing on the moon is somewhat secondary, therefore the movie lacks a lot of drama. This is unfortunate since Armstrong led a very charmed life as a fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. The movie covers three of his serious incidents while flying, and he had at least three more, that could have been covered in a miniseries. A miniseries would have allowed for more in-depth probing of how Armstrong became the man he was. The main characters all suffer from superficial once overs. The astronauts were all household names but you wouldn't know it from this movie. The movie also had a hard time capturing just how terrifying some of the events were. Apollo 13 did a far better job of recounting the terror of that flight. Claire Foy as the wife was ok but she also had a degree of coldness about her. The movie also glosses over the misplaced disdain military pilots had for their civilian counterparts. The complaint was that civilian pilots by virtue of their engineering training were too mechanical and not true flyers. This was not true of Armstrong who got his pilots license at the age of 17. The movie should have started there. He was considered a brilliant engineer by his peers, and he was rightfully selected to be the commander of Apollo 11. That brilliance is not captured on screen. By the end of his career he had flown over 200 different aircraft. He was a giant. I think the movie should have brought that out.
320 out of 492 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most momentous events in history, turned into a depressing drag.
brianjsmith-8640813 October 2018
If you are thinking this is going to be a fun, great movie like Apollo 13, well, just rent Apollo 13 and watch that one again.

I've been a 'space-nut' and an aficionado of NASA and the space program since I was a kid in the 70's. I'm not sure how they could have made a movie about Neil Armstrong and the first moon landing more sobby-eyed or depressing. It managed to capture none of the majesty, grandeur, or scope of the undertaking- it was just a wet-blanket of constant angst.

The close ups were so close-up that they made you want to back right out of the theater, and were shot in a way to make them resemble shaky-handed home-video footage shot on a hand-held. The camera just refused to hold still for anything in this movie, and it was infuriating.

I'm sure, at least at a few points in his life, Neil Armstrong cracked a smile. You wouldn't think so from watching this. I know he shunned public attention, but I find it impossible to believe Neil Armstrong could possibly have been as lifeless and wooden as he was portrayed in this film. Foy's portrayal of his wife came across even colder and less joyful than her depiction of Queen Elizabeth.

Sorely disappointing. 6/10, and I feel that's being fairly generous.
321 out of 504 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I understand what the movie was trying to achieve but....OMG it was so boring
cliff_bd23 October 2018
I really liked the idea and I kinda liked the movie but I found it to be disjointed and slow...... I loved the part of the movie when Neil Armstrong was on the Moon and he dropped his dead daughters braclet into the crater .... to let her go

The rest of the movie was good and at times challenging to watch....
95 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Way too slow and untidy camera work
phil-160-33899716 October 2018
Came watching this with high expectations but was kinda bored by it, actually my wife did literally fall asleep in the cinema.

As many have said there were too many facial close ups and too much shakiness, a lot less would have worked.

The story made Buzz Aldrin out to be very dislikable and totally put Mike Collins into the back ground. Whilst this film is about Neil Armstrong these guys also went to the moon (apparently) too, so a little bit more respect with their characters would have been nice.

This film had great potential but it focussed to heavily in many wrong areas and this was it's ultimate let down.

Save your money and wait for hit to hit the internet.
100 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Over-long, over-hyped, over-rated
ozjosh0316 October 2018
The only real distinction of First Man may be that it's the first over-hyped and over-rated film of next year's Oscar crop. It's a film that is dismally defeated by its own subject matter at every turn. First it wants to be an illuminating, insightful study of Neil Armstrong. But on the evidence of everything it offers, Armstrong was simply not that interesting. If the most startling discovery about your hero is that he was sad about his infant daughter's death, then you're already in deep trouble. Nor is it hugely surprising that a guy who is dedicated to preparing for a mission to the moon isn't exactly a well-rounded, socially adept human being. But many a fascinating film has been built around a cerebral, emotionally-distant, socially awkward character, right? True enough, but it takes an actor with a much greater skill set than Ryan Gosling to make such a character interesting. First Man is essentially two hours of Gosling mooching around trying to find some way of making Armstrong's interior life compelling. That he fails isn't entirely due to his own shortcomings as an actor, but to a screenplay that does little more than rely on his good looks and the "glamour" of the space race to make Armstrong interesting. But the second big fail of First Man is that it doesn't offer us anything particularly new or interesting about the moon mission. Chazelle's strategy is to eschew the cliches of space movies - the focus on technology and the astronaut's eye view - and stay close on his heroes through interminable sequences in juddering space capsules. There's nothing new about this, other than it being the main, sometimes sole focus. Unfortunately, it becomes tedious long before we get to Apollo 11's trek to the moon. Even the ultimate moon sequence offers little that we don't already know from the grainy footage of the real event that everyone has seen hundreds of times. In short, the term "epic fail" could have been invented to describe First Man.
168 out of 262 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's a good thing I'm not a director
gibbo-7720514 October 2018
Having read "First Man", the Armstrong biography, I was looking forward to the movie immensely. I personally found it bizarre that it started with Karen already gravely ill. There was no emotional attachment at all. There was no mention of Armstrong's fascination with flight, no mention of joining the navy in order to attend Purdue, leading to his near-fatal Korean war flight experience with the missing wingtip. If I was directing I would have started with his childhood fascination with flight, his scrimping and saving to pay for flying lessons, the fact that he obtained his pilot's licence before his car licence and then I would have built an emotional attachment with Janet and Karen. During the lunar descent, when the very dramatic 1202 and 1201 programme alarms occurred, I would have built the dramatic tension instead of drowning out all the drama with loud music. I would have built the drama with the 30 seconds of fuel remaining and showed the relief at Mission Control when the Eagle touched down safely. I would have showed the discussions concerning crew positions in the lunar module, resulting in Commander Armstrong exiting prior to Buzz and thereby becoming the first to put his boots on the lunar surface. I would have showed the aftermath of reaching his childhood dream, where he was required (along with Buzz and Mike) to tour the world ceaselessly, spotlighted in the limelight and hating every minute of it. It's a good thing I'm not a director because that's probably what everyone expected, whereas this film is a very different treatment. Some great visual effects and good acting and I liked the way Apollo 1 was handled - it was very respectful. However, I felt the film missed a lot of what made Neil tick - it was hard to engage.
137 out of 215 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I remember the moon landing and it was exciting.
mjsparker16 October 2018
I'm aware that this movie is about the titular first man, Neil Armstrong and yet this seemingly interminable film sucks all the excitement and awe out of one of mankind's greatest achievements. It's sad that the Armstrong's lost a daughter to cancer and that it seems one of their sons was on the Autism spectrum. Stylistically the use of hand held camera added nothing to the narrative as also the too many close ups. The musical choices seemed odd and out of place from the banal to the bombastic final piece. Overall it was like watching a documentary about the making of the film about the moon landing with this particular film unit tasked with following the Armstrong's.
85 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The gloomiest, saddest, darkest movie in a very long time
mkaronis12 October 2018
Something went very wrong with this movie. Apollo 13 - a grandiose movie about a failed mission, while this one is a failed movie about the most outstanding, successful human mission so far. What a wreck!
129 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Understated Biopic
Jared_Andrews16 October 2018
The opening scene will take your breath away. I don't think a single cell in my body flinched for a solid five minutes as I watched Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling) fight to keep his craft from floating away into space. The scene is spectacular visually and in every sense of filmmaking execution. It's also a bit misleading.

The rest of the movie, aside from the moon landing, is remarkably tame. It's quiet. There are virtually no loud outbursts or emotional speeches. This story is about people doing their jobs, completing their missions. Gosling understands this and plays to Armstrong's stoicism perfectly. He is often an understated actor, choosing to let his subtle facial movements and glints of the eyes do as much talking as what actually comes out of his mouth. Neil is much the same except even less outwardly expressive. He clearly comes from a generation that did not display emotion. They suffered in silence, which no doubt frustrated many family members, especially spouses.

Armstrong's wife Janet (Claire Foy) is a classic case of a spouse desperate to glimpse beyond his emotional shield. She restrains for the most part, but her building frustration is apparent throughout. When she finally does unleash her emotions, it's startling. Her outbursts stand out in such stark contrast to the silence that we see from the other characters. Foy is smart and measured with every choice she makes, and she never comes across as unhinged or overly supportive to a point of unbelievability. She's strong as a quiet devoted partner and strong when she senses the need to speak up. Look for her to add another award nomination to her resume come that time of year.

For as great as Gosling and Foy are, Damien Chazelle is the star of this movie, just like he has been the star of every one of his movies. I don't mean this as a bad thing. They guy is simply so skilled at what he does that his impact stands out among all the other standouts in his movies. He doesn't take the conventional approach to a space movie, which is to hammer viewers with showy visuals and action sequences. He's careful not to overdo it those areas, instead focusing on Armstrong's psyche and life outside the space shuttle. Chazelle crafts a personal, intimate film and shoots it in a creative way that uses a variety of framing choices so the closeups never feel stale.

This is a giant story told on a deliberately small scale. The choice to focus on Armstrong's objectively less captivating homelife rather than the moon mission is risky. Only the most talented of filmmakers, which Chazelle is, could pull it off. "First Man" is another showcase of Chazelle's mastery. He's one of the best directors currently working. The fact that this film may eventually be considered Chazelle's 6th or 7th best and is still this excellent, is a tribute to his talent.
44 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Glacially-paced, muddled film
rac70114 October 2018
"First Man," the highly anticipated (partial) bio-pic about Neil Armstrong, the commander of NASA's Apollo 11 mission and the first man (thus the title) to walk on the moon, is a muddled mess.

Director Damien Chazelle's film-making choices, from shaky, way-too-close cinema verite close-ups and long, long silences (OK, OK, we know Neil Armstrong was a Silent Sam type) to banging, shaking, roaring and rattling blackout shots where the viewer can't understand what's going on, to lack of exposition (about precisely that -- what's going on), to Armstrong's constantly angry wife, are not only disorienting, but unpleasantly distracting.

This film can't hold a candle to superior films like "The Right Stuff," "Apollo 13," or the excellent made-for-cable HBO series "From the Earth to the Moon."

Neil Armstrong deserved much better than this.
261 out of 449 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bore-opic
peggynight-2425813 October 2018
Overall, I have to say, I found this pretty boring. Felt like I'd gone to church or something, if you can dig that type of boredom. Kind of a bewildered boredom that you can't put your finger on, but you know you'd have rather been doing something else. Almost anything else.

Yes, it told the story from the human side, from the side of a father and husband. Yes it was nice that the film wasn't over-glamorised with a whole heap of American chest-beating and back-slapping; if anything it showed the petty pride of the space race perhaps for what it was: a dick-swinging contest. And yes, it showed just how primitive 60s tech was, as though they were being strapped into a rocket-tomb. But boy is this film dry. When it ended I felt underwhelmed and wanting more.

Great acting from the two leads, who held the space really well. Certainly didn't find this 'visually stunning' as some reviews have said; I thought the visual treatment of the film was well considered and appropriate in that it felt very mid 60s. In fact, that's how I'd describe the film: considered and appropriate. Except for the music/score, which was c grade. But do we go to films because they're considered and appropriate? I know my father does. Yawn.
72 out of 115 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ryan Gosling: Man or robot??
simonhowe-3501724 October 2018
Wow. I've seen a few movies about the space race before, and generally they have a mixed spectrum of quality but are mostly enjoyable. This one for me, was almost completely devoid of any enjoyability.

Ryan Gosling plays Neil Armstrong, and I expressed concerns about this to my friends before. My concerns were not unfounded. He seems to me to be simply unable to convey any emotion at all. I get that as an astronaut and test-pilot, he needed a cool head, but there's a big difference between keeping a cool head, and simply looking bored and disinterested all the time.

Also, I get the tragedy of the death of Armstrong's young daughter, and the stresses this and the very nature of his career put on his wife and family life; but they've taken a 9 year segment of the most daring technological, and human achievement in human history, and made it slow, ponderous and boring.

The massive over-use of handheld cameras to make it feel like you're actually there was really irritating to me. I want the story to tell itself without me actually being in the room with all the characters all the time. Especially when Armstrong's wife is trying to listen to the NASA broadcast of spaceflight comms, and her son steals the radio and won't give it back. It just made me feel awkward in my cinema seat; by all means play the scene, but I don't want to feel like I'm in the room with them.

There were a few good bits, like his test-flight at the beginning of the movie, but my overall experience was that they somehow managed to make a story about landing the first man in history on the moon, a very boring experience.

The Right Stuff, this is not.
82 out of 135 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fails to deliver
generalthought16 October 2018
The movie was generally factually accurate.

However, any good movie should accomplish 3 objectives: 1. Educational - achieved in 'First Man' 2. Enlightening - failed 3. Entertaining - failed

Movie goers are likely to leave the movie feeling quite flat.

Not recommended.
112 out of 190 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Wrong Stuff
aylwardpaul12 October 2018
Boring and self-important. The photography of nearly all action scenes is a real disappointment. The film misses way too many opportunities to tell what should be an enthralling story. You are better served watching The Right Stuff, The Martian, or Apollo 13.
148 out of 256 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
From Utterly Terrifying Spaceflight To Raw Emotional Gut-Punch, First Man is Setllar
BlurayAddictAU28 September 2018
First Man, directed by Damien Chazelle cold opens with that I could only describe as an absolutely terrifying look at what it was like to be a test pilot in the 60's, you hear every little nut and bolt warping and you feel every massive unnerving vibration for what felt like an eternity. This set the tone for the rest of the film and signalled that we were in for one hell of a ride.

And yet First Man is not just a bunch of planes and rockets flying around, in fact the entire Film is mostly more focused on Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling) and how all of these event leading up to the Moon Landing affected him, specifically his mental state. This is where the film absolutely excels, by chronicling his journey from test pilot all the way to Apollo, losing friends along the way.

Gosling and Claire Foy push out really stellar performances here, the relationship between the two seems very very plausible and there is a lot of very emotionally charged scenes between them throughout. The supporting cast is packed to the brim with recognisable faces too, a standout for me was Jason Clarke's performance as Ed White, the first American to EVA in space who at first I thought I really wasn't going to like the character but by the mid-point of the film I was sold.

One of the qualities of First Man that I noticed almost instantly was the very unique Cinematography which most of the time uses handheld medium to long telephoto shots creating a very intimate and raw look to the images on screen. The other main quality visually is the fact that most of the film was shot with 2-perf Techniscope film which gives a very organic vintage look, usually i'd take issue with a lower resolution stock for a film like this but here it really fits in with the overall aesthetics.

In First Man we do get some really ridiculously stellar space sequences, the way these are edited and shot create almost pure dread, in fact the only time I have felt this on edge was when I saw Gravity for the first time, it is that bloody good. Production design is fantastic and of course when we get to the Apollo sequence the images on the screen are graceful and an utterly mesmerising experience.

From impeccably shot terrifying spaceflight to absolute gut wrenching heartbreak, First Man is something to be seen on the biggest screen possible with the loudest sound. I highly recommend this film and the moment this comes out in UltraHD you can be sure I'll be there Day 1.

Thanks to Universal Pictures Australia for the invite to the Premiere.
211 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Shake it all about
duncl-6843814 October 2018
This is certainly no Apollo 13

Instead of special effects they just keep shaking the camera relentlessly. There again they couldn't even film Janet Armstrong walking down her drive without shaking the camera a bit. Despite all the advances in CGI they could have probably made this on a small budget back in 1975.

It is noticeable that what I believe to be stock NASA footage like the LEM taking off is way smoother and more watchable than other bits of "Spaceflight"

There are too many close ups and not enough story telling. If Neil Armstrong really was so brooding then maybe they should of featured more of other characters like Buzz Aldrin who in his few scenes actually comes across as an enthusiastic guy.
101 out of 171 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
First Man (to leave the theater)
marconjx15 October 2018
In my opinion First Man fails on multiple levels. From a historical perspective, there is nearly no conveyance to the audience about the political motivation that was behind the entire program to get an American on the Moon before the Soviets. The Soviets' lead in the "space race" prior to the Apollo program had been considered an existential threat in the struggle for the hearts and minds of humanity and the American government considered it essential to win the race to the Moon. While the American flag is seen at a distance next to the lunar module, the actual planting of the flag on the moon was, in a certain sense, the entire raison d'être for the Apollo program and yet this moment was completely ignored by director Chazelle, making such a blatant omission seem an intentional anti-American political statement. From a cinematic perspective, Chazelle seems obsessive in his constant use of closeups for even mundane moments and downright abusive in his use of "shaky shots" during moments of physical trauma. I always feel "cheated" when a director wimps out by an excessive use of shaky-shots as a cheap way to avoid the expense and creative effort otherwise required to depict what is actually happening to cause trauma. From an acting and character development perspective, none of the characters gain our sympathy or empathy in this film. Its as if they are all reading their lines from a script rather than investing themselves with the spirit of the people they are supposed to be portraying. Armstrong, in particular, is portrayed by Gosling as extremely unemotional and cool, even when saying goodbye, perhaps forever, to his wife and children. And while Armstrong may or may not have been that way, it seems overdone in this film. Strangest of all was Claire Foy's depiction of Janet Armstrong who is portrayed as constantly annoyed with her husband and resentful of the sacrifices he had to make as the first human selected to set foot on the moon. I find it hard to believe that Armstrong's wife could have been this way in reality and if she was not then Chazelle and Foy have done her a great disservice. Finally, from a story-arc perspective, the movie's pace is plodding with Chazelle spending way too much time on the familial interactions of the Armstrong clan. While this may stem from the fact the movie was based on a biography of Armstrong rather than upon a depiction of the Apollo mission itself, the fact that this was, as far as I know, the first major cinematic portrayal of mankind's first voyage to the moon really deserved a much more expansive treatment than it receives in this film. I am confident that this film will not be, nor should it be, the definitive telling of America's triumphant landing of man on the moon, a story that is epic and will require a director with an epic vision to tell the tale. It is with regret that I say that this movie and this director were not up to that task.
189 out of 333 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A beautifully told and respectable portrait of the famous astronaut's life and the significance of his contribution to human history
MrDHWong11 October 2018
First Man is a historical biographical drama film based on the life of astronaut Neil Armstrong, directed by Damien Chazelle (Whiplash, La La Land). Starring Ryan Gosling in the lead role, it paints a beautifully told and respectable portrait of the famous astronaut's life and the significance of his contribution to human history.

In the 1960s, the space race between the USA and the USSR is at its peak, with the latter having a clear lead over the former. In attempt to outdo the Soviets, the United States plans a manned mission to the moon, with astronaut Neil Armstrong (Ryan Gosling) being the first to set foot on the lunar surface. Despite the deep personal losses he has endured throughout his training and in his home life, Armstrong agrees to the mission, knowing full well that he may not come back alive.

Superbly directed and acted, the film is less a story about the space race itself and more about the struggles and perseverance of titular first man. Ryan Gosling gives what could very well be the performance of his career. His nuanced depiction of Neil Armstrong shows the audience how much the astronaut has to lose if he does not survive such a monumental journey. Claire Foy is also worth noting as Armstrong's first wife Janet. Her concern and worry for her husband's safe return from the moon were brilliantly represented during the film's more emotional scenes. Director Damien Chazelle demonstrates his talent for creative cinematography, showing the vastness of space and how small and insignificant Earth is in comparison. Films like this truly emphasise how much mankind has accomplished in the short amount of time we have existed and further highlight how much more is needed to be done.

I rate it a solid 9/10
161 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Like watching a metronome.
biggiebaby17 October 2018
Gosling at his one dimensional best. Cluncky and disjointed, the story rides along like a low budget wannabe art film, but, with high budget actors. No character development to speak of just long lonesome staring off to the right of the camera lens. With the possible exception of the ubiquitous wife/mother scene demanding emotions from the husband/father. First Man Joins the ranks of movies you'll watch once and never again.
107 out of 186 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Get out of their faces!
DosLenyos13 October 2018
Close-up, after close-up, after close-up. The director of photography should be dragged outside and tarred and feathered. As if the capsule scenes weren't claustrophobic enough, did every scene with the actors have to be so tightly cropped? Gosling is not a serious actor - his portrayal of a true American hero was exhausting. Also, why do directors these days cast actors in roles of real historical people that do not even closely resemble them (Buzz Aldrin excluded)? It makes it hard to follow who is who, especially since a lot of the characters are not well developed at all. Skip it at the cineplex and watch it on video.
159 out of 284 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Do not go if you suffer motion sickness!!
deeble18514 October 2018
I went to see this movie with my partner, her mother and a 14 year old cousin. While we all appreciated it, that was the strongest recommendation from any of us. My major problem with the film was the "action" camera work. While I understand that hand held shots lead to a greater sense of immediacy, having the camera 10 cm away from the subject and shaking it violently did not draw me in, rather it repulsed me. I literally closed my eyes for any sequence where this effect was used, as it was hurting me to watch it. As far as the story goes, it felt incredibly slow and distanced. In the interpretation of Armstrong as a person, it seemed to drive me away from relating to him or the situation, and I had no sense of the grandeur or the excitement that should have accompanied such a story. I was tempted to see this movie by the 2013 webby award winning site, and I can still say that the actual recordings are much more engaging than this film.
115 out of 202 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the dullest movies I have ever seen.
joppawilliam12 October 2018
Dull does not begin to describe this tediously slow and poorly directed film. No chemistry between any of the actors. Bad dialog, long blank stares, and jerky camera work. I like historical dramas, but this has to be one of the worst films I've seen in the last 20 years.
156 out of 287 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.