Escape Plan (2013) Poster

(2013)

Solid, Simple and Entertaining Action
Mrs158613 October 2013
This is a simple plot movie that symbolizes everything about Silvestre and Schwarzenegger glory days. There is no thick plot or real complexities, it's a simple bad guys Vs good guys action flick. However, the movie does not disappoint, its very entertaining and full of action and hard core scenes. The acting is as expected, nothing Oscar worthy but good enough from action legends like them. The idea is simple and is easily understood. The one difference in this movie is that the chemistry between Schwarzenegger and Stallone is excellent and they deliver some humor also. The only downside that I can think about is the fact that this movie is really meant for both the stars fans and not people who are looking for real ideas or excellent cinematography. Bottom line go enjoy the movie and don't forget your popcorn.
186 out of 235 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Give it a chance
Jerghal26 January 2014
The terminator and Rambo in the same movie, in the 80s or even the 90s this would have been the event of the year...but then Sly didn't look like his veins where going to explode and Shwarzie had less floppy skin. But we digress. Sly plays an expert who professionally escapes prisons to test their security. He gets set-up and end's up in an experimental shadow prison from which he and Shwarzie have to escape. The film reminded me a bit of (and borrows elements from) Fortress and THX-1138. Contrary to The Expendables the film has a descent plot and is well made. The VFX are good and never look fake, so generally speaking a fine production. I expected little so I was positively surprised to see that it could deliver 2 hours of solid entertainment. It was never going to be as good as T2 or Cliffhanger but it's a pity it just flopped at the box office. I hope many people give it a second chance on DVD or BD as it is certainly worth the watch.
46 out of 56 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Prison, Betrayal and Revenge with Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger – What Else Could I Want in an Action Movie?
claudio_carvalho15 February 2014
Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) is a renowned specialist in prison breaking in high-security facilities. He owns a company with his partner Lester Clark (Vincent D'Onofrio) and he works with his coworkers and friends Abigail (Amy Ryan) and Hush (50 Cent). Breslin follows three basic rules to escape: to know the layout; observe the routine; and get internal or external support to the getaway. Then he delivers a report with the flaws in the system to his client.

Breslin and his team are visited by the CIA agent Jessica Miller (Caitriona Balfe) that offers five-million dollars to him to test a state-of-art facility. Breslin accepts the challenge but soon he learns that he was double-crossed. The cruel prison ward Hobbes (Jim Caviezel) gives special attention to Breslin, following the instructions of his client and uses his right arm Drake (Vinnie Jones) to break Breslin. But the inmate Rottmayer (Arnold Schwarzenegger) gets close to Breslin and helps him to find a way to escape and find who betrayed him. Will they be well succeeded in their intent?

"Escape Plan" is a full of action movie with Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger and a great cast. The plot has the usual flaws but entertains a lot using the themes prison, betrayal and revenge that are always attractive. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Rota de Fuga" ("Escape Route")
66 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Entertaining prison movie
ducati17-756-56669218 October 2013
No doubt that movie is entertaining, 8/10, fast, no slow time. Humour, jokes, a few reference to older movie. This movie is with both main actor, not a Sly movie with a cameo of Arnold, its both of them all the time. It's good and funny. The plot is intelligent, I liked it. It's not a remake of any kind, of course you know the end or you can predict some of the turnouts. But, overall it is fun and intelligent. The ending is rushed a bit, turns out like a bit of a sort of "Expendable" style of movie, but not as much. No sex, or any kind of romance in that movie, or super chicks making you want to jump at the screen, it's a typical American movie, blood, guns & some violence, but no chick.
146 out of 198 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable and not surprising.
MR_Heraclius20 February 2020
The chemistry between Stallone and Schwarzenegger is fun and sharp, but the film's director is inappropriate and delivers a movie that could be much more than a recycled example of 80's kind of genre.
43 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stallone and Schwarzenegger...together at last!
ManBehindTheMask6318 October 2013
"Escape Plan" isn't the greatest film ever made. But it is a fun, non-stop thrill ride B-movie that delivers the dream team we've always wanted...Arnie and Sly! Yes, they've teamed up in the over-the-top, cheesy Expendables films but "Escape Plan" is a more satisfying and better quality film.

Rambo...Terminator...Jesus...John Trent...50 Cent...yeah, the cast is pretty awesome for this "prison break" flick. Jim Caviezel almost steals the show as the "evil" warden. We all know Sly and Arnie are in their mid-60's but man do they still kick butt! Plus they're still literally ripped...like bulging...like veins sticking out all over the place ripped! We had a blast watching this and I recommend it to any action fan, especially the 80's action crowd. There's great one-liners, slow motion shoot outs, explosions, prison shanks, and all sort of bad ass action.

I really hope this does well at the box office because it is an entertaining film that's way better than "The Last Stand" and "A Bullet To The Head". But I wouldn't be surprised if those films have turned some movie goers off. A real action fan will love this flick though. Go check it out! Get to da choppa!!!!
86 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing action film! Stallone and Arnold delivers!
andrerd9 October 2013
I watched Escape Plan yesterday in a preview screening and let me tell you: this movie rocks!

The first co-leading partnership between Stallone/Schwarzenegger is a great flick.

Very good story, a very good villain, good action scenes and a perfect chemistry between the two action stars!

The supporting cast, in special Jim Caviezel, is one of the many highlights of this movie.

For action fans and people who want to forget their lives for a couple of hours and have a film fun, I highly recommend it!

Salute!
227 out of 332 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie.
edwindare13 October 2013
Excellent cast, scrip and acting (yes, acting). You can't expect Sly and Arnie to play Shakespeare, and they won't. They are meant to kick ass and that's what they do.

The story goes by smoothly and fast. Dialogues and sequence are really well written. Main characters bring you in the movie and Jim Caviezel is great as the villain. So is Vince Jones and the rest of the characters.

This isn't for everyone but I can't believe this movie is flying so under the radar. What a shame. This is old school, action packed thriller.
234 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty much an instant classic
juneebuggy3 February 2016
Old school action thriller with some old school stars (finally) teaming up to break out of prison. This movie is also pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger pairing except maybe fewer one liners and a decent script.

The story follows Sly as an incarcerated security expert (he literally wrote the book on prison security) whose last job sees him being sent to "The Tomb" a master prison based on of his own design but he's also been set up, imprisoned and disappeared for real. Now with the help of fellow inmate Emil (Arnie) Rottmayer, he must devise a daring, nearly impossible plan to escape as well as eluding the evil warden and his sadistic lead guard.

I enjoyed this movie for what it was, although more serious than I expected, I liked the look of the super prison -unique in that respect and I was very surprised by the location of it, didn't see that coming at all. A good story, a few twists, decent supporting cast in bad guy (done so well) Jim Caviezel, evil guard Vinnie Jones and brow beaten prison doctor Sam Neil. Decent action scenes from guys who can't run anymore, Arnie can still fire a machine gun like no one else though. Sly does some tricky water stunts and some hand to hand fight scenes, he gets pretty beat up and tortured here.

On that note I'm a huge Sly fan but as well as looking old here he also looks perpetually tired, like he's just about had enough of doing action movies. Arnie on the other hand was hilarious without even trying. I mean who else can make you laugh as they get water boarded? It was also great to hear him speaking German even it was mostly enraged swearing. 1/12/16
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Love the first half and then ...
SnoopyStyle7 June 2014
Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) is an escape expert. He is hired to be put into prisons and escape. Abigail (Amy Ryan) and Hush (50 Cent) are his team and Lester Clark (Vincent D'Onofrio) gets them the job. The CIA comes calling to test a privately-run secret prison for the worst of the worst. When he's taken, his team lose track of him. The prison warden Hobbes (Jim Caviezel) refuses to let him go even though he gives the evacuation code. Rottmayer (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is one of the prisoners who helps Breslin but they're on their own.

I really love the first half of this movie. Sylvester Stallone really grew on me. The team and the jobs are interesting. Everything is going well. It makes sense why Hobbes wouldn't release Breslin at first. The first problem comes in the form of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Immediately, I am afraid of cheesy 80s action camp coming. For awhile, Arnold did his job and the story moves on. He did his best, and got a few jokes in. I actually prefer not to have the joking around. The sense of cheesy camp is always near and that's what the jokes are. Then the movie goes full on cheese. It's like a time warp into an old Arnold action movie when he takes the big machine gun.

There is also the problem of why some of these prisoners aren't just killed off. Why would a drug cartel care to keep Javed alive? No idea. Why not just torture Victor Manheim out of Rottmayer? No idea. Why wouldn't Hobbes kill Breslin once he finds out who he really is? No idea. There was somebody else (spoilers) who should want him dead. What happened?

It is so disappointing that this is not a better movie. It starts off so well but it's an obvious mistake to team up with Arnold doing serious action. That era is over and the guys are old. It may work in a jokey way in the Expendables franchise. This should be much better.
24 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
About time the two giants of cinema come together!!
rambo-romeo14 October 2013
Let me start by saying that the fact alone Schwarzenegger and Stallone are in their 60's doing a film like this is the ultimate reason to watch this. I can never understand why people claim they are too old. If anything they put people half their age to shame with their physical abilities and they should inspire people to want to stay energetic well into their senior years. This movie is absolute Gold! We finally have the two biggest movie stars of all time headlining a movie together and believe me you get what you pay for! The action and visuals were what I expected, very clear and stunning. The prison was almost a character itself in making the audience feel apart of the setting. My hat goes off to the director who was able to balance the off-screen chemistry between Stallone and Schwarzenegger and fuse it into the story. No joke these two guys were made to star in a movie together. The nostalgia is off the roof!! Every movie has its flaws and no doubt this one did but in saying that, I was able to automatically ignore them here because of the story, it was well paced. We see Stallone's character introduced as a prison security expert who is set up and put into the worlds most secure prison. Here he teams up with none other than Schwarzenegger who plays another prisoner, pretty much "the one you don't mess with". Together they plot their escape and it is done superbly! Overall I think this movie is a well made action thriller and will surprise audiences with something they haven't seen before from both Arnold and Sly. I will be surprised if this film doesn't get much attention at the box office because this movie goes back to a time when Hollywood was larger than life and gave us memorable characters and memorable action scenes. 10/10
156 out of 257 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing and Excellent
alucard_castlevania8615 October 2013
Came back from 'Escape Plan'and I liked it. Seeing 2 of the 80s action icons Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone together was great. The plot was really unique and something new for a change and the small twist between Arnold and Stallone at the ending was just hilarious for me

Once again Arnold really stole the show for me with some of his best liners and action 'n the movie. Stallone for me on the otherhand tried too hard but couldn't match Arnold's performance but both still managed to do a solid job. Hopefully, they'll team up again in the future but with Arnold as the main hero instead next time. The rest of the cast played their rolls well too especially Jim Carviezel and Faran Tahir

Overall, an enjoyable movie and definitely in my top 5 of the year
110 out of 191 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes, another prison escape movie, but it was actually enjoyable
dwuksta14 January 2014
How could a film with both Stallone and Arnie be bad, well it is possible, but not this time. I won't reveal too much because it may ruin the intro to the movie, but suffice to say, Arnie appears a little later in the movie. Stallone's face looks like it's made of silly putty, but Arnie's actually not looking too bad, neither are into the naked topless thing these days, which is understandable considering their age. There is a great balance of humor and intensity in this film, there moments of genuine suspense, and a few surprises. The sets were great, story had original elements to it. Plenty of punch ups, good body count, lots of action, and a few remotely possible gimmicks...possibly a whole mythbusters season worth of investigation in this one movie. Nice to see some direction in the fight scenes without using so many angles and shots, that it's almost dizzy to watch, it was more old skool, much more enjoyable. Ending was slightly confusing for me,few tiny holes I thought, but still worth a strong 7.
13 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG How amazing to see a film so original
jhanzeb198418 October 2013
If you think this is a simple film with the usual script as in , guy in jail, struggles to escape, then escapes think again! starts straight in action and has many twists and new plots and ideas.

Acting by Jim Caviezel was amazing and Arnie was so refined and refreshing .

If you loved the 80s ans 90s action films by them both you will love this...its like them but up to date, clever, witty and very fast moving!

I found my self on the edge of my seat wanting more and taking in the new concepts that Sly has brought in.

Both big boys proved they make a great team and have great chemistry! i hope they make more films together!

also...Vinnie Jones was great and 50 Cent wasn't stereo typed!
79 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nostalgia aside; horrible.
The_moan_of_all_moans31 October 2013
Sometimes Nostalgia can cloud ones mind and the fact that this movie is averaging at around a 7 is a clear indication of that. But if you neglect that need for nostalgia, then all you are left with is a foul movie. I, like any other welcomed the prospect of Stallone and Schwarzenegger in the same movie, but then i seen the trailer....and then i read the plot....and then i watched the trailer again....and eventually i had lost interest.

Yes, it was obvious from the announcement that it wasn't going to be a mind blowing spectacle of acting, but they could have at least came up with something original. Nevermind the fact that i almost chewed my face off at Arnie's role as "the favour guy" as Stallone so expertly put it....it was like a deteriorating, rusted, blob of waste compared to Morgan Freeman as RED from Shawshank. And i know there is basically no point in comparing their acting abilities, but at the end of the day it is a film....and a film consists of actors/actresses....who are supposed to act....and unless Arnie is a machine (literal or in human form) then he fails. The "comedy" between him and Stallone was mind numbing, but what do you expect from Rocky and a Terminator.

The two live off of their past status, so when they decide to star in a film together...all the Rocky fans and all the Terminator fans find themselves in a tizzy and choose to disregard the fact that they are both a complete tragedy when it comes to acting. Instead choosing to succumb to nostalgia. As i said it can cloud the mind.

Now, back to the unoriginal factor it carries. And that is not in relation to Shawshank or all prison break films....but one. Anybody remember "Lock Up"? Yes that starred Sylvester Stallone as well...where he was very good at breaking out of prisons....so he ends up being wrongly transferred from one prison to another (a slight difference in how he gets there but still very similar).... there he is greeted with a warden who has a hidden agenda......and is mentally and physically tortured ..... ah very similar indeed. So in conclusion this film is basically "Lock Up" with a rubbish RED in it.

Even with the two disasters aside, the acting doesn't really have any saving grace, i mean Vinnie Jones?....50 cent? Not exactly a strong cast. Donald Sutherland.....(sorry that's Lock Up) i mean Jim Caviezel plays an OK part as the wicked warden, but apart from that there is nothing. The action is what would be expected; exaggerated. The comedy is cheesy and the plot is placid and predictable.

If you're starved for nostalgia then this is the movie to feed that hunger, but for me it was and is a recipe for disaster.

59 out of 116 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hollywood have lost the plot
kmichaelpm9 January 2014
It is not often that you get to see a movie that defies description,,,,but I suppose if you wait long enough, anything is possible. Yes, there is lots of action, and yes the acting is fair, but believe me when I say, there is absolutely no sense whatsoever to the plot. You will spend most of your time asking yourself, how did this come about, how did that come about. There is absolutely no continuity in the story and no explanation for half the stuff that happens. So, if you do not need a plot or for it to make sense, and are happy to sit in front of a screen and watch some action and listen to sound effects, without it making any sense,then this is the movie for you. You can give your brain the night off and put your eyes and ears on overtime. I think Stallone and Arnie, can basically write a script during lunch, and just get someone to make the movie regardless. This is nothing but money for the boys. Oh! yeah,,,I gave it a three for the sheer barefaced audacity of making it.
35 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
past its sell by date
simonpcpearson30 October 2013
The Escape Plan is a throwback to a bygone era, and it feels like one. The movie industry has thankfully moved on from the lazy dumb action movies that were so prevalent thirty years ago. That is not to say that the current crop of action flicks are works of art,they are not, but they are products of their time. Escape Plan feels as if it is a product of the Eighties, and it is difficult to find the appeal of such a past its sell by date product.

Sylvester Stallone is apparently reluctant to face his old age. He tries to act as though he is a young man, but there is no amount of cosmetics and hairpieces that will disguise the fact that he is too old for roles like this.

Arnie comes across slightly better. Like his role in The Last Stand, his character feels age appropriate and he is having fun in his over the top portrayal.

Pacing is a problem. There is a long tedious section in the middle which seems to go on forever. The end brightens up with an okayish action sequence, but the effect is spoiled by some silly moments and an incredibly lame one-liner.

Wait for the DVD.
35 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I wanted an Escape Plan out of the cinema!!
malaysian178920 October 2013
A distinct lack of action heroes in 2013 and the public's obsession with recreating nostalgic moments has meant that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone are very much in demand, 30 years after the peaks of their respective film careers. After the massively adored yet not very good Expendables, the pair return for Escape Plan, which as the title overtly suggests, focuses centrally on an escape plan. Hopefully this is a no-nonsense film that doesn't take itself too seriously or run too long, or I'll probably hatch an escape plan from the cinema....

Ray Breslin (Stallone) possibly has the worst job I've ever heard of: he intentionally becomes an inmate at various prisons and duly escapes, revealing the safety flaws each prison has and then selling them security tips to make a profit. In essence, he gets paid to stay in prison for numerous months at a time. Stallone doesn't really have any facial expressions in this film so it's hard to tell whether his character enjoys his life or not, or whether he even knows how to string a coherent sentence together. Anyway, soon enough Breslin is offered 5 MILLION dollars to be sent to a new secret prison and try to escape, but once arriving their he realises it's all a setup and he actually can't get out. Thus, he gains the help of inmate Emilt Rottmayer (Arnie) to try and escape using sheer strength and occasional flickers of intellect. The evil guards patrolling the hi-tech prison are led by former footballer Vinnie Jones, so it clearly won't be hard to escape.

This was an average film to put it nicely: it took itself far too seriously, and so the ridiculous plot and acting felt like a drag rather than the ironic parody it should have disguised itself as. Arnie and Stallone have their share of one-liners and gun battles, and even team up with Muslim inmates in the prison, as if to show they are representing a new, inclusive America. Brings a tear to my eye. Not to say it's a horrendous film, some of it was enjoyable, and the story goes along at a nice pace, but it just lacked that bit of you know....logic. Overall, it's not a film you would watch again, or even watch to the end, but if you're a fan of basic action films with no depth I'd probably recommend it.

15 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pass the Popcorn review
PassPopcorn18 October 2013
If you've been reading my reviews, you've might have noticed that I'm somewhat of an Arnold Schwarzenegger fan. However, I was never big on his Escape Plan co-star and buddy, Sylvester Stallone. When I heard of their collaboration in Escape Plan (they've been planning a collaboration since the 1980s), I was somewhere in between of wanting to and not wanting to watch it. Nonetheless, the concept of the movie seemed interesting enough for me to actually go see it after all. I didn't expect much from it, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly entertained.

Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) is a professional escape artist – he escapes from prisons for money, in order to test their security. One day he gets an offer from the CIA to break from the world's most secured, illegal, off the books prison that holds some of the most dangerous prisoners in the world. He accepts the offer but is betrayed – he finds out this is not a job but someone payed to have him kept in there forever. Upon entering prison he meets Rottmayer (Arnold Schwarzenegger) whom he befriends and with whom he tries to break free.

Escape Plan is a rather entertaining movie. A stupid, silly, confusingly acted, overblown movie – but still an entertaining movie. While the concept of escaping from an inescapable prison is always interesting, Stallone and Schwarzenegger take it to a new level. Escape Plan, in spite of looking serious from time to time, is still a generic action movie that doesn't take itself seriously and has a lot of self-deprecating humor (including one scene in which Arnold yells gibberish and prays in German). All the bad things in this movie have a certain trashy/it's-so-bad-it's-good quality. Especially the villains in the movie, who are fun and over the top – Jim Caviezel, whose character looks like he came out of a comic book, is great as the butterfly-collecting (the man collects butterflies!), possibly homosexual, ruthless warden Hobbes, and Vinnie Jones is exaggerated as always as the guard Drake. The two leads – Schwarzenegger and Stallone – are on auto-pilot mode throughout the movie, just doing what they mastered through the years, and what they are loved for – being bad asses. The only one that stands out in the movie for being just terrible is Curtis Jackson, aka 50 cent. I don't know why he's in the movie but one thing is for sure – he's unwatchably terrible, in a bad way.

Actually, I don't know why 50 cent's character, Hush, was even in the movie, nor do I see the importance of Amy Ryan's character Abigail. These two weren't crucial to the plot, and it would have been much better if the majority of their screen time was cut out so the plot doesn't wander off from the prison setting. This could have improved the movie's pace and mystery even more. Speaking of prisons, while I do think that the scenes inside the prisons were decent, I don't think that Escape Plan exploited the potential of a setting inside an unbreakable prison enough. In the end, the whole prison setting seemed – in lack of a better word – not particularly developed (the nature of the prison, the inmates, the guards, etc.). All in all, like I said before, Escape Plan is a silly, fun, dumb, cheesy popcorn flick that, what it lacks in intelligence, it makes up for in its entertainment value.

Rating: 6/10 Read more at http://passpopcorn.com/
17 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A creative setting that made it pretty engaging.
nicolechan91616 June 2014
The setting of the film is very creative, but I find myself more or less engaged in what is going on rather than actually comprehending what the story is about. Warden Hobbes (Jim Caviezel) is looking for this mafia person or something, but honestly I didn't fully follow all the talk. It was quite hard to understand what they were saying, especially Stallone with his trademark raspy voice. All the 'tough guy' talk being so macho and all makes it hard to hear what they're saying. I just followed the action.

Props to Stallone and Schwarzenegger for making an action film at their age. It's probably time to give it up though. I'm getting kind of tired of watching guys fighting and shooting at each other for no apparent reason. Plus, this is such a hyper-masculine movie. I counted two women in this film. Two. Who never talk to each other and had only a few minutes of screen time. Fantastic.

Well one thing that I did appreciate, was that they didn't swear as much as I would've expected. Usually with these hyper-masculine films, they would have the f-word in every sentence. I appreciate that this did not. The acting was pretty good too I guess. They got into their characters well.

Read the full review at championangels.wordpress.com
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nice to watch
ayyubhebat5 July 2014
I never watch this movie trailer on you tube or any else, but I knew this movie was played by S.Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger(sorry if mistaken). I was interested to see this two Star were together to play in this movie. I don't even know how was the storyline, so I just watched the movie then I got the objective in the middle of story. Ray Breslin(S.Stallone) is the world's foremost authority on structural security. He used to analyze every high security prison and test the endurance of each prisons which is he needs to escape from the prison. The storyline was moving well and the secret was kept properly. The acting was good for me , not too amazing and the action was good enough , simple , not too excessive and I like it. So, just this review from me for this movie. It's a nice movie to watch, still fresh for a mystery film.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Geriatric Action Flick
coljam2124 March 2014
Why can't thugged out gangster rappers just stick to rappin'? When I saw the rapper who goes by the moniker half dollar or 50 pennies was a part of this film I knew there was no way it would be saved. I am so relieved that I did not watch this mess in the theater. Stallone should really retire. It seems that his head keeps getting bigger with age. It looks down right swollen. The skin on his face looks like silicone. I kept wondering if the make-up people on the set couldn't do something more to make him look more human. His acting also seems to be getting worse with age.

Stallone as usual was unconvincing and uninteresting. It seems like he's half asleep throughout the entire movie. He is just way too old to play the characters that he no doubt writes for himself. The movie was just about 2 old farts acting brawny and throwing punches. We all loved them in the 80's and 90's but they're just way too old to play the part of an action hero. I must say, it was a pleasant surprise to hear Arnie speaking in his native tongue. All in all the movie was unbearable. I literally skipped many parts just to get to the end.
15 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie
smittydog6629 April 2021
I'm a huge Stallone and Arnold fan and I have to say this may have been the best movie in the history of the cinema. Great acting, story line. Pure entertainment and a surprise ending.
Entertaining prison drama
Floated26 August 2019
Starring Stallone and Arnold in quite a different but fun prison action drama. This film isn't the typical action films that most fans would expect but is quite a clever and intriguing prison drama.

With an interesting premise, and some solid action, Escape Plan is quite an entertaining film. The chemistry from both Sly Stallone and Arnold are great and worth the watch. Filled with a good twist in the end which wasn't completely predictable, Escape Plan is worth the watch.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An enjoyable bringing together of two action stars
tabuno28 January 2019
This movie brings together two action blockbuster stars, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger into a crime action thriller where Stallone's character as a topflight security expert finds himself in a privately own blacksite housing supposedly housing some of the notorious criminals and terrorists that is virtually escape proof. While a decent movie and bewilderingly a Razzie nomination for Stallone, the movie's beginning scenes seems to be rather tame as well as the lower energy intensity compared to such action thrillers like Spy Game (2001) or Enemy of the State (1998). Escape Plan has some elements of physical and emotional suffering that echoes Stallone's classic movie in Rocky (1976) along with some escape scenes from disaster movie The Poseidon Adventure (1972). The movie seems to suffer from the casting of Jim Caviezel of the television series Person of Interest (2011-2016). Caviezel is a delight actor in his television series, but his ability to portray a scary administrator in charge of a horrid blacksite is pretty lame, almost miscast. However, one of the most entertaining shots is one later in the movie where Jim Caviezel's character Hobbes smirks. Another familiar actor, Sam Neill, as a medical doctor is undeveloped and never gets to really shine in the movie. As for Vincent D'Onofrio as Stallone's partner, his persona might have been better cast in Caviezel's role.

The storyline outline and the technical aspects of jail breaks are interesting. The moody and almost suffocating atmosphere of captivity is powerful for a while. Yet there's something about even Arnold Schwarzenegger's performance that seems too entertainingly enjoyable for this supposedly more dark and dismal setting. Spy Game with puts Brad Pitt's undercover character in a Chinese prison offers up the more disturbing but more effective and appealing drama rather than the more almost light-hearted camaraderie between the lead actors. Overall, this action drama eventually becomes a predictable and typical movie that casts two aging but still enjoyable brand actors together.