The Lone Ranger (2013) Poster

6.4 rating? You can do better!
officialnoonon24 June 2019
I agree with what the other guy said. "ignore the critics" that's certainly all. This movie is much better than it's rating makes you believe, what a shame!
62 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wrong Brother.
hitchcockthelegend6 May 2014
The early signs were not good, tales of production problems galore and early critical notices wading in to kick the film before it had even had a run at the theatres. The Lone Ranger seemed destined to be a blockbuster stinker. Yet in spite of it noticeably alienating original Lone Ranger purists, and some Western lovers as well, for a rollicking action fun packed time then Gore Verbinski's movie delivers in spades.

It's awash with the serial silliness of adventure films and TV shows of yore, pitching good guys against bad guys with buddy buddy shenanigans pulsing away at the core. The stunts are outrageously enjoyable, the landscape photography as beautiful as it is respectful in homage to past masters of the Western genre, while in Depp's Tonto there's a bona fide hero to root for just as much as he makes you laugh out loud.

This is an origin story, a tale of how John Reid (Armie Hammer) became The Lone Ranger, and of course how the noble steed Silver and Indian side-kick Tonto became integral to his villain fighting ways. Tom Wilkinson and William Fitchner file in for polar opposite villain duties, the former is the weasel business man trying to mould the West in is own image, the latter a repugnant psychopath with a penchant for eating human hearts! Then Helena Bonham Carter wanders in from some Grindhouse movie for a couple of cameos that are resplendent with sexual energy.

It's all very wacky and wild, and rightly so, but this is not at the expense of very good story telling. Some parts of the narrative could have been trimmed, but as the bromance builds between our two heroes, and Silver gets up to all sorts of comedy horse escapades, there's nary a dull moment here. Producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Verbinski throw all the action staples into the pot. Chases, fights, swinging from ropes, shoot-outs, people dangling from speeding train (pic is bookended by awesome train sequences), grisly deaths and on it goes from start to end.

There's caustic asides to the machinations of organisations of the time, from railroad magnates to the cavalry, while the catchphrases and legends of The Lone Ranger TV series are deftly inserted into the tale. It was interesting to see Depp come out and defend the movie against those damning early critic reviews, it's not something he does, being as he is very much a guy who sees acting as just a job. Bruckheimer, Hammer and Verbinski backed Depp up, stating that some reviews were written before the film had even been released, the big budget and production problems clearly making this a big stinker…

Not so, it's certainly not flawless, and those seriously into anachronisms are likely to have kittens. But if you haven't seen it yet, if you was put off by the venomous early reviews, then give it a chance, you may just be surprised at just how entertaining it is. It also looks and sounds brilliant on Blu-ray, where repeat viewings even show Hammer to be better than first thought as that masked man. 8.5/10
121 out of 149 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real film, real stunts, real actors and real fun
You know the plot; you also know who is in this movie so lets get to it. Gore Verbinski has delivered a film that moves leisurely along peppered with rousing action sequences, comedy, villainy and pathos. It is solid entertainment. I would place this movie alongside Waterworld, The Last Action Hero, and John Carter as unfairly panned films which deserves to succeed in the cinema halls.

It is too bad that there appears to be a hate on for this movie simply because it seems that a lot of money was spent in its making. But look at it this way, when you hire real stunt persons, construct and destroy real trains and stage many stunts for real, it is not going to be cheap. I would rather support this type of movie-making any day instead of the tired CGI based effects laden yawners. Every penny of the budget is on screen in a beautiful shot and staged movie. I found it to be an enjoyable 159 minutes of entertainment.
575 out of 750 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Film, ignore the critics on this one
jvg373 July 2013
Just got back from seeing it and we were thoroughly entertained. Depp and Hammer were fantastic in their roles and the action was over the top, as expected. Be advised, this film is told from Tonto's point of view based on his recollections of what transpired. This is not an Oscar contender, nor was it ever intended to be, but it is a great popcorn flick. It is violent in certain scenes and may not be suitable for smaller children, but for adults and tweens, it is about right. I did think that the first 10-15 mins or so were a little too slap-sticky for me, but once it gets going, it gets good. To all of the naysayers out there, what did you think you were going to see? It is essentially a western Pirates of the Caribbean, and Depp portrayed his character with the usual humorous persona he always does.
491 out of 712 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Incredible
Thumper001235 July 2013
I tend to side with critics often, and usually find they are on target - case in point- Man of Steel - which I had the highest of hopes for, and felt it was mediocre at best. So, I went in to Lone Ranger with low expectations based on reviews I had read from the so called experts. I was a fan of the series as a kid. Was not sure what to expect from this. Well, This is the Lone Ranger movie for the 21st century. It was fantastic. What movie did these critics watch? It set a perfect tone. Depp was terrific. Hammer was pitch perfect - he became grew to be the Lone Ranger. It left me wanting more, and movies rarely do that for me. Spread the word of mouth - we need this movie to have legs so we get a much deserved sequel. Trust me, its GREAT. And my 7 y/o son loved it just as much.
263 out of 387 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not only the Magic, but explains the Magic
drystyx4 July 2013
It wasn't hard to outdo the preachy contrived plot of the 2003 Ranger movie, but this one took a step beyond to become a mainstay.

First, it is an adventure film, a Western adventure. The Lone Ranger is a mystique character, and part of the challenge is that he tries to bring men to justice alive. Same for Superman. If they didn't have this challenge, they would have no conflict whatsoever. It makes for a puzzle.

Tonto takes center stage here, but unlike the 2003 disaster, he is a character instead of a symbol of a godlike race. Here, no favorites are played. The most evil ones in this story are a pair of white men, and other white men they enlist, but we aren't given sermons about this.

Depp is great as Tonto. The museum scenes are a bit too much for me, but it is good for the kids. The out of sequence bits work, partly because they aren't emphasized too much. Depp, as Tonto, craftily plays this with a subtle humor, and that is just what is needed for this.

There is the magic and mystique of the Ranger, but also an explanation given for it, as "Nature out of balance". We are dealing with a supernatural chain of events which do allow the Lone Ranger to ride a horse through and on top of railroad cars.

Great blend of humor and adventure, and at the same time a crafty blend of Shakespeare and Indiana Jones. This is better than what meets the eye, and what meets the eye is extra special in itself, with plenty of eye candy for men and women.
232 out of 346 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tonto...er...The Lone Ranger is not great, but reasonably entertaining
kcalbertina595 July 2013
Is The Lone Ranger a great movie? Not really, but it is relatively entertaining.

Is the movie slow in the middle? A little, but not as bad as most critics would have you believe.

The Lone Ranger is a bit long and does ask you to be patient at times, something that seems to be lost in the modern video-game world we live in.

The strength of the movie lies squarely with Johnny Depp and his portrayal of Tonto. I seriously doubt that any other actor could have pulled it off. Depp deadpans through several one-liners, which gives us much of the movie's humor. In Depp's capable hands, the character of Tonto is both admirable and witty, with a charm all his own.

The first part of the movie definitely gets us started with a bang. It does jump around quite a bit in the first few scenes, which seemed a little disjointed at times, but things are tied together well enough as the movie progresses.

The middle of the movie is slower, but we are provided with many of the answers as to the back history of the characters, especially with Tonto and the villains. I will agree that the movie could have accomplished the same with five to ten less minutes, but that is certainly not an adequate reason, in itself, to skewer the film.

And the last few scenes are the non-stop action sequences that most modern audiences love, although they do almost come off as cartoonish at times.

As stated, Depp's performance is the single biggest selling point for this movie. I thought William Fichtner was very good as Butch Cavendish, the film's main villain. Tom Wilkinson, James Badge Dale, Ruth Wilson, and Helena Bonham Carter all lend excellent support.

Of the movie's title character, I'm not sure that someone else other than Armie Hammer wouldn't have made a better Lone Ranger. That being said, the interactions and dialog between him and Depp's Tonto are enjoyable and occasionally laugh-out-loud funny. In many ways, this is a buddy movie, albeit with a bit of a twist.

Perhaps, one of the main reasons critics dislike the movie is its title. For all intents and purposes, this is really a Tonto movie. It is more his story and told from his point of view. It probably should have properly been called Tonto. But I don't see that as being a bad thing at all.

If you take it for what it is, The Lone Ranger is a reasonably entertaining film, with a very strong performance by Depp. And that was enough for me to give it a 7 out of 10.
145 out of 213 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Listen to the Critics!
capmoonbeams2 July 2013
The Lone Ranger presents a new take on the classic characters the Lone Ranger and Tonto. This film is exactly what a summer movie should be and one fun ride that you most defitenly don't want to miss.

The plot is as follows: An American Indian spirit warrior, Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice. The two unlikely heroes must learn to work together and fight against greed and corruption This film is from the team that brought us Pirates of the Caribbean that includes director Gore Verbinski, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, screenwriters Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio, and composer Hans Zimmer.

The film stars Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp as Tonto, these two have great chemistry that really shows, The Lone Ranger also stars Helena Bonham Carter, William Fichtner, and Tom Wilkinson.

The Lone Ranger rides strong for several reasons that include direction, cinematography, casting, screenplay, special effects, pacing, acting, and story. Due to these reasons the Lone Ranger can gain a new younger fan base while still appealing to older fans or casual moviegoers.

The bottom line is watch this movie and enjoy its incredible action and comedy that will surly rope you in.... And watch out for some throwbacks to the classic show. 10/10: Hi-Ho Silver!
346 out of 536 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hi Ho Silver and away!!!
coastdaze4 July 2013
IGNORE any bad reviews of this movie. Here's another great summer comedy (also see The Heat) but without the R rating so it's a good family movie. I laughed and laughed at this movie. I was thinking it was going to be a serious take on the Lone Ranger (yeah, yeah I know...even with Johnny Depp). But very quickly as the movie progressed I was laughing and having a great time watching these two.

Johnny Depp is a master at facial expressions and this type of comedic timing. Sort of like Jack Sparrow but without the flamboyance. I was totally entertained the whole time he was in a scene in this "long" movie which went by very fast. The other actors also did a good supporting job with just enough drama to add to this movie rather than distract.

The scenery is awesome and the action scenes are beautifully photographed or green screened, CGI'd or real...whatever. I have nothing negative to say about this one...funny, no gratuitous sex, violence or language, imo. Just fun. What a nice break...I do believe I'm going to see it again!
343 out of 533 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun action for the family
I saw a screening of this last night with a friend and to be honest I wasn't expecting much. From the previews I had seen, I wasn't going to spend money on this. So Time Warner offers me two free tickets, I invite a friend and we go and watch this. I was presently surprised after watching this. I remember some of the Lone Ranger comics and remember seeing small clips and my dad telling me stories about it but I never actually saw a show. I enjoyed this movie, it reminded me of fun action with the family. The violence wasn't ridiculous where you couldn't bring children to watch it but authentic enough to know not to try it at home. I saw in an interview that Armie did all the stunts and you can tell. His work on making the character honorable, noble and pretty much a decent human being was very well portrayed. Johnny Depp steals the show with his one liners, a few times I just started laughing at the comments he would make. Overall i'd give this movie an 8/10. Well written, excellent character development, you actually care for them and a great job with the actors and the acting. What I really enjoyed about the movie was that the special effects didn't look too fake. Yeah a few scenes you may have been like yeah right in your head but unlike Fast and the Furious 6, the special effects people on this project do a great job keeping it looking realistic. Bring your family to watch this, a great story of an iconic character. Hopefully this is the start to more because I wouldn't mind watching a sequel or two.
294 out of 466 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth the wait
Toshali5 July 2013
I was a little disappointed about the critics' review of the movie, since I adore Johnny Depp and had been waiting for the movie to release for months. I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was lovely. It had action (as promised), a good plot and pretty generous doses of humor for a movie of this genre. Depp stole the show with his portrayal of Tonto, but the other actors were great as well. The obvious comparison of this movie is with the Pirates of the Caribbean series because of Verbinski and Depp. There were parts of the movie, especially those where Tonto's actions generated laughs from the theater, which reminded me of the latter. Both have Depp in eccentric roles which provide ample comic relief. But since the themes are completely different, I feel that a comparison is not exactly fair. All in all, it is a good, lighthearted, entertaining way to spend two and a half hours, and I am considering hitting the theater for it again soon.
162 out of 261 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Experience
superwomanproductions25 June 2013
Once again Disney, Bruckheimer and Depp make for an excellent movie experience. When you watch a television show in black and white growing up, you don't always know what to expect as an adult to see it as a feature length film. I enjoyed this movie tremendously. The storytelling and writing was excellent. The fact that Lone Ranger isn't a "Disney character" meant that I had no other reference but the television show to go on. This is one you have to pay attention to. Don't get up in the middle to get a refill on your popcorn because you may very well miss part of the story. Depp plays an older tormented Tonto sharing his experiences meeting the Lone Ranger with a young boy who attends the local carnival. And so the story begins. The element of greed in American history and what it can influence people to do is closely examined throughout the film. Therefore you get entertainment and a lesson and it's cleverly written so that even young adults will get it. No need to explain how dad and granddad use to watch it in black and white back in the day. This is one of the better "reboots" of the summer.
138 out of 223 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
very entertaining
auntjenjen5 July 2013
Am a big Johnny Depp fan, but wasn't sure if I would believe him as the character of Tonto. Well, he did a fantastic job and Armie Hammer is not bad to look at either. This was a very entertaining and feel-good movie. My husband liked it as well. Knowing who the Lone Ranger is or having watched him as a child is not pertinent in watching this film. I don't recommend it for small children as there are some bloody moments. In our stress filled lives, we all need an escape and watching this movie made me forget all of my troubles and get lost in this story. I really hope it does well and maybe even have a sequel. I recommend it highly to everyone. Sit back and just be entertained.
66 out of 102 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A re-boot and a real hoot!
abbott-697-478464 July 2013
What is wrong with these snarky critics? I just saw this film (and I paid full price for my tickets, all you lucky previewers!) I thought this film was very good -- far better than I had expected from reading all the criticism from the film critics and some of the comments from viewers. Did they just miss the point entirely? Listen, it's not that complicated. This movie just takes the old Lone Ranger classics (radio and TV serial) and has fun with re-booting that story. It's Tonto who is the one telling the story this time and the Lone Ranger who's the straight man -- and this actually works (in my opinion). After all, this is really a re-boot -- a "how the Lone Ranger became the classic hero" story -- and having Tonto tell the story is a brilliant move to change the straight-laced Lone Ranger as infallible Western superhero into a believable character for a more modern audience. John Reid, the guy who's eventually going to become the Lone Ranger, starts out as a straight-laced stiff who takes himself and his beliefs far too seriously. Tonto clearly thinks he's pretty useless -- and that's a funny premise to begin with. Armie Hammer is perfectly credible as John Reid -- he's plays fish out of water in the bad old West, but slowly (with Tonto's help) he starts to learn what he needs to learn to be effective in putting a halt to the evil done by the bad guys.

Tonto is a great role for Johnny Depp. It's his deadpan humor that provides the story's most lively commentary on how the Lone Ranger is progressing in learning his craft. I think many people were startled by Johnny Depp's costume -- but go look up Kirby Statler's "I am Crow" picture on Google images. There is an historical basis for how Johnny Depp decided to dress as Tonto. Besides, historically speaking, it was less likely that an Indian living in the canyons area of west Texas would be an Apache -- which is the closest native costume to how Jay Silverheels (the TV serial's Tonto) dressed -- than it would be for the Indian to be a Comanche. I've lived in Texas for decades and actually studied Texas (and Comanche) history enough so that I have no problem with Johnny Depp's outfit -- and the crow on his head actually ends up involved in some pretty funny bits in the movie! They actually were pretty clever in how they did this.

The point of the picture is both the individual journey that John Reid makes to become the Lone Ranger (earning Tonto's friendship and respect along the way) and the overall nature of the forces arrayed against them. During the course of the film, the whole picture slowly becomes clear about what the bad guys are up to and who is helping them and why ... and the climax of the film (the last 20 minutes or so) is just a spectacular action sequence. Here, the Lone Ranger is finally the hero we remember -- and so it's fitting that when we hear the William Tell overture cut in, it's funny but also it finally fits! The final battle is very very well done. It's a very complicated sequence, with lots of different participants, but Verbinski does a great job of helping the audience keep track of who's who and what's going on. It works! Finally, I think some people had a problem with the "frame story." I didn't. I totally thought that worked. If Tonto is telling the tale -- the myth of the old West, the myth of the Lone Ranger -- to a kid, then that leaves us, the audience, to decide what parts of the story are embellished for mythmaking and storytelling and what parts are the parts that a younger Tonto actually experienced. I think that's brilliant, actually. How else, other than through this kind of mythic lens, could you tell such a classic hero tale to a modern audience? By the way, about some of the earlier reviews that mentioned a bloody scene involving the bad guy actually eating a heart ... the theatrical release we saw today did not have this as an explicit action scene. That is, you hear the bad guy say he's going to do it, and he apparently does do it, but you do not specifically see the bloody gory deed. I assume that (maybe just for American audiences) they edited that down to be more suggestive than completely depicted. I would say that this is a movie that kids (down to the age of 8, say) could tolerate without major trauma.

HINT: There IS a final bit over the last part of the credits that I think answers some of the questions about whether Tonto is who he says (to the kid) that he is.
70 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Depp shines, The Lone Ranger entertains!
janmejay-vyas25 June 2013
Quite frankly, I was highly skeptical on attending the screening of the hugely anticipated Johnny Depp, Arnie Hammer starrer The Lone Ranger, primarily because I am not such a huge fan of western movies plus a runtime clocking almost 150 minutes seemed to long to handle. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a try owing to the Depp factor and the director, Gore Verbinsky who has a pretty neat track record as a director.I haven't actually seen The Lone Ranger T.V series which aired from 1949-1957, so I pretty much knew nothing about the characters as such and went in with a clean slate, which in my opinion is a good thing as it removed unwarranted comparisons and biasness.

Settling down in my seat and 10 minutes into the movie, I was hooked on. A spectacular opening scene, where the outlaws make away with their chief held captive and being transported on a train. The scene introduces us to the principal characters of the movie namely Tonto (Johnny Depp), John Reid (Arnie Hammer) and Butch Cavendish (William Fichtner). Verbinsky establishes his characters smoothly and seamlessly throughout the narrative which is definitely one of the high points of the movie. The entire story unfolds as Tonto, recounts the tales of his journey and how John Reid becomes The Lone Ranger. The two form an uncanny team to bring Cavendish to justice, each in his own manner. John believes in non-violence and the court of law and Tonto is just the opposite. The two share an electrifying chemistry and Depp gets his comic timing spot on as the quirky Tonto. Tonto, belongs to a native American warrior tribe, who feels responsible for the death of his fellow men and his family owing to a trade he made with two white Americans he saved from certain death when he was a child. John seeks revenge from Cavendish as he is responsible for the death of his ill-fated brother Dan Reid.(James Badge Dale).

Inspite of its length, the movie never drags or feels lethargic at any point of time, instead it provides a good dose of laughter at regular intervals and Depp shines in those scenes. The scenes where the Native American, trades a feather or grains for everything he steals from dead people or the scene where the white stallion chooses John over his brother, and Tonton repeatedly tries to force the stallion to switch the selection, Depp is just fantastic.

Depp rises above his co-stars with his impeccable comic timing and one liners. The best facet to his character is the fact that he is so unpredictable. You never know what is he going to do next. Arnie Hammer pitches in an earnest performance and nicely complements Depp. Despite, all its triumphs it does have a couple of blemishes. It's understandable that the entire writing revolved around the two principal characters, John and Tonto and I'm guessing due to the focus on these two characters some other supporting characters got sidelined. The sub plot involving Rebecca (Ruth Wilson) and her relationship with John is half baked and is not well developed. Similarly, Helena Bonham Carter as Red Harrington is unconvincing as the deadly leggie and neither does her character get enough screen time leave a mark.

Barring the two minor hiccups, The Lone Ranger overall is a fine movie which is high on entertainment value. I would definitely recommend this movie to everyone who seeks a good time at the movies. Fun guaranteed!
101 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific - pure fun entertainment
UniqueParticle16 May 2019
Loads of fun - kinda wish I saw this years ago! I'm honestly not much a fan of westerns but this is just very well done with awesome stunts and as with another movie I reviewed it should've won the nominations that year.
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HI YO SILVER we are back!
I recently attended an early screening for the film at Disney's California Adventure and wow it was great. The story is well told and gives you a good idea of how a man named John Reid becomes the Lone Ranger who is brilliantly played by Armie Hammer. Johnny Depp obviously stole the show for his portrayal of Tonto; I thought it was one of his best characters he's ever played. The highlight here is the two's chemistry throughout the film, these are two very different people who both have different perspectives on life and they were just hilarious together. My only problem with the film was the supporting cast, I thought some characters were a little under developed and not as enjoyable as the leads. I wished the villain were just as enjoyable like how Geoffrey Rush was for Curse of the Black Pearl. So in other terms the film is not as good as Curse of the Black Pearl but more superior then the Prate sequels. Go see this movie you'll have a great time, and people can learn from this movie it's got some good messages.
246 out of 436 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
RNMorton3 July 2013
Hammer and Depp play well together in retelling of classic early television western. Hammer is district attorney sent back to his boyhood frontier town in the midst of "progress" - the linkage of continental rail service, dealing with the local Comanche tribe, and exploitation of silver deposits. Hammer is deputized when his brother, a Texas Ranger, needs a posse to chase the evil Butch Cavendish gang. Depp is solo Comanche shunned by his own tribe who is entangled in the various doings. Having Wilkinson as the local authority is worth at least one additional star, Depp is worth one or two extra stars himself for his very amusing if mildly predictable playing of Tonto. Some of the location scenery is spectacular. The movie doesn't quite make a 10 because it's a tad too long and the special effects are just a tad too unbelievable. But well done, and the telling of the story from Tonto's point of view is a bonus. There's nothing groundbreaking here but it's a fun ride.
52 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it. A good modern retelling of a classic.
MCharke4 July 2013
Why The Lone Ranger (2013) is the best movie of the year (This movie review contains Minor Spoilers.) I fondly remember a much simpler time, when the age of radio programs was fading into memory and in that dying flicker the name that stood for justice. Like the television of that era, the good guys wore white and the bad guys wore black and twirled their mustaches. Director Gore Verbinski's Lone Ranger brings back those feelings in spades.

In a summer full of flawed heroes, a narcissist tin man, an alien god whose rampage created untold casualties and an unnecessary romp through the least realistic zombie apocalypse based on the book about the most realistic one, it is refreshing to see a true hero on the big screen. Armie Hammer's Lone Ranger character isn't a good shot and he isn't particularly witty or good with the women. However, he isn't bad at these things either and, more importantly, his incredible moral fiber shows through in every scene and never waivers. Johnny Depp's Tonto dragged me to this movie, but Armie Hammer's Lone Ranger is why I'm going back to see it again.

Speaking of Johnny Depp, lets be honest, I want to see Captain Jack Sparrow. Johnny Depp delivers with a character that is at the same time unique and yet strikingly reminiscent. Depp and Verbinski treat the Native American aspects of the movie with respect. Many of the jokes are based on taking old clichés and poking holes in them. Depp's makeup, as Tonto, in phenomenal. The movie opens with a display of makeup artistry, at the side-show/museum, that is almost unbelievable and it sets the tone for Tonto throughout.

The story isn't a new one. It's the same story you will find in Zorro movies and spaghetti westerns. It's a classic tale of evil out of conquer the world and good trying to stop them with a dash of murder and revenge. The difference is that you have this shining knight of a character who refuses to seek revenge but instead insists on bringing the bad guys to justice.

The villain is Butch Cavendish, played by William Fichtner, who begins as a classical disfigured and evil gunslinger and then reveals himself to be worse than that. Tom Wilkinson, who played the very memorable mob boss in Batman Begins, returns as the diabolical railroad tycoon Latham Cole who appears to be using Cavendish as his henchman until the truth comes out later.

Like any modern (super) hero movie, the corny one-liners and silly names are used sparingly. Some of the Long Ranger's most famous catch phases appeared only once but they used them all and the crowd cheered each time. Must like the Man of Steel, the Lone Ranger is called by his character's real name, John Reid throughout the movie, giving the movie a less serial and more realistic feel.

Silver, the Lone Ranger's white stallion, makes an appearance as a, suspected, supernatural element. Like all such elements in this movie they are carefully crafted so that the viewer may decide if they are real, or imagined. Silver, called only "horse" throughout most of the movie, takes on the role of C3P0 or Jimmy Olsen, and injects a good amount of humor into the movie when Depp's Tonto isn't stealing the show with his antics. These often involve the crow on his head whose origin is explained to justify his actions and serves to confirm or rebuke the strongest supernatural elements of the movie.

Ruth Wilson plays the strong spirited Rebecca Reid, sought after by just about everyone she runs across until the smoke clears and her ending is revealed. Helena Bonham Carter plays Red Harrington, the one legged "harlet" whose artificial leg plays more than a passing role in the movie.

For a movie that roams from fighting and acrobatics on horseback to atop trains, or both, the characters are always crystal clear and the backgrounds are always impressive. While there is the bare minimum of required unbelievable scenes, much of the movie is fairly down to earth action. A modern re-telling of an old story, many of the jokes and themes have been updated and while it tugs at the heart like the stories of old, it is shown in a modern frame.

The most important element of this movie, for myself, was that they captured the spirit of the Lone Ranger. He had his friend Tonto, his horse Silver. He used silver bullet(s). He wore a mask and he stood for justice. He fought the bad guy without becoming one, or even needing to be a flawed hero. This may indicate the beginning of the end of the reign of the flawed heroes which started with the graphic novels The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.

Mark Charke
55 out of 93 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wish there were more movies like this
kalibeans4 July 2013
Johnny Depp has utterly redeemed himself in my mind from the disastrous "Dark Shadows". A great family film!! Excellent story and character build up - the way a GOOD story should be told. Somewhat in the fashion of Little Big Man in that it is told as a reminiscence. Armie Hammer was excellent as The Lone Ranger - the seemingly only bastion of decency and honesty in the Old West. Filmed in magnificent John Ford country - no totally indoor sets for this movie!! Which this story really could not have been told well without it being on location. The little spoiler comes next so stop reading if you don't want to read it. Excellent decision by Verbinski to really racket the action up at the exact point the audience hears "The Lone Ranger" song for the first time in the movie. From there on out it's a wild ride!! Johnny Depp at his deadpan best. This one I will spend to see again while it is still on the big screen!!
54 out of 92 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gr8 Movie! don't let the critics sway you. it is really a fun Good movie
JusticeD-729-8389733 July 2013
The action and humor are awesome, and the relationship between the two is excellent. You can just tell that this was as much of a fun ride making it as it is watching it. Johnny Depp steals it when he is on, you just are mesmerized by what might he do next. Its the subtleties that he adds that really makes him so good and fun to watch. Johnny and Armie play well off each other. Don't let the so called "professional "critics" make your choices. Let's face it critics get paid to over analyze and pick things apart. If you want a fun movie to see that certainly gives yours monies worth the movie fits the bill. Can't wait for the DVD and special features.
198 out of 371 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great funhouse modern take on classic western fable.
maurice_yacowar5 July 2013
First off, Johnny Depp doesn't play Tonto. Johnny Depp plays Dustin Hoffman's Jack Crabbe (Little Big Man, director Arthur Penn, Irving's younger brother, but that's another story) playing Tonto. That's Gore Verbinski's new take on The Lone Ranger in a nutshell -- where apparently most reviewers think it belongs. But as Sam Goldwyn would say, include me out. (Ever notice how contagious tangents and allusiveness can be?) In other words, Verbinski uses the old Lone Ranger story as a prism through which to survey the whole range of themes and conventions that made the perennially defunct classic Western not just America's most popular genre (on screens large and small) but (in part as a consequence) the outside world's favourite metaphor for America. This encyclopedia of the genre, with its trenchant socio-political analysis, still manages to be a constantly entertaining and exciting film. It provides the pleasures of the genre conventions even while anatomizing them. In short, I think this film is one of the all time great westerns. The scene with the two heroes talking, buried up to their heads, reminds us that this popular genre could rise to high art, as high as Beckett. For fuller discussion see www.yacowar.blogspot.com.
40 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bland, Boring and Barbaric
NuttyForMovies6 July 2013
I think Rotten Tomatoes finally got it right this time. Giving this film less than 25% approval rating is on the mark. I wasn't a fan of the original series, but I knew that from the trailers, I probably would not like this film. I still gave it a shot, and boy did it fail to deliver, miserably. This movie is essentially a Pirates of The Caribbean movie, set in the Old West. Johnny Depp as Tonto is doing the same old shtick he did in Pirates, Jack Sparrow basically wandering through the desert. His attempts at humor are the same, deadpan expressions as he wanders through overly exaggerated and unrealistic special effects sequences. His sidekick (sorry, but that's essentially how the power relationship is set in this film) is a scared, gun-shy lawyer John Reid played by Armie Hammer. Throughout the movie, we are supposed to be cheering this guy on, hoping he can avenge the death of his brother and bring the bad guys to justice. But all he does is whine and complain. They should have called him The Moan Ranger. Depps performance was quite bad, and I would say, offensive to native Americans of all nations. The way he talked, his behavior, I mean, they tried to explain it away as him having been scarred emotionally as a kid, but really, it sounded more like an apology for Depp's stereotypical portrayal. There were also weird random things that left one's head scratching, like the crazy rabbits that popped up. What the heck? Are we to believe that this stuff was based on reality, or are just watching the fantasy laden recollections of an aged Tonto who's liberally adding these elements to entertain the little boy in the 1933 museum? The part about the movie that really bother me, however, was the fact it had an overall feel that it was geared towards families, but there were scenes of such nasty brutality and violence, it was a really upsetting juxtaposition. Now, I'm all for gory and violent films, I watch them all the time. But those films are rated 18A. This one gets away with a PG or PG-13 rating, but people die horribly, and in many cases, for no reason. I guess the fact that they don't show any blood spurting out is why the censors and ratings board gave it a pass. Overall this film is quite boring. I was taking power naps through many of the slow parts. It barely picks up speed, and when it does, you don't really care anymore. And why just have one locomotive crashing scenes when you can have two! Yes, two train crashes in the same film, talk about losing creativity. It felt very repetitive. None of the supporting characters or actors stood out. And quite frankly they felt just as annoying as The Lone Ranger himself. I think the white horse was the most interesting character on the screen. Avoid this movie, just rent it for $2 out of your local movie dispensing machine. Send the studios a message, so they won't make any sequels, and they'll bury this attempt at a franchise for good.
166 out of 319 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seriously FUN. Well Done and Hysterical
gole-girl8 January 2014
Critics really don't seem to have a sense of public interest anymore. Did they ever?

This was one of the most FUN movies I have seen in a long time. When I was a little kid and I heard the theme song to the Lone Ranger, I came running into the living room with childish excitement.

This movie brought my heart back to those days and tossed in just the right level of comedy to remind me that I was now in my 40's. ALL of the acting was good, and FUN...

Suitable for family viewing, date night, or a girls night in...

Don't pass on this movie because of lame reviews by critics. See it for yourself and review it here.
17 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible Drivel
tsh857 July 2013
The Bruckheimer/Verbinski team is at it once again, and once again they have completely failed. This is so typical of the Disney Franchise....to take a legendary show, write a mediocre script (that has nothing to do with the actual Lone Ranger), and get a big name like Johnny Depp to star in it. Let's face it, with Johnny Depp starring, people are going to see the movie no matter how terrible it is, simply because he is in it. This is something that Disney does very well. They take a show that's more than 30 years old (1957 in this case) and they remake it into a movie because the majority of their fan base is under 30 years old, so they have no idea how accurate the movie actually is.

First of all, the real Lone Ranger was one of the bravest men alive, not a sniveling little wimp (as depicted in this movie). The characters (including Tonto) looked nothing like the actual characters in the original Lone Ranger. What's up with the thick crumbling face paint, and the dead bird on his head? He looks more like a pygmy that just got off the first plane from the Congo in Africa. This movie is nothing but another 2 1/2 hour 'Pirates of the Caribbean' with characters dressed as cowboys and Indians. This is because Bruckheimer and Verbinski have one style and one style only. They are not talented enough to expand, so all of their movies have the exact same recipe (good guys, fighting the bad guys, for a damsel in distress). Let's face it, we all know that Disney has completely lowered the criteria for talent in this country with all of these "so-called" new Disney stars such as: Selena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, Ashley Tisdale, Hillary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, and Vanessa Hudgens. They can't sing, act, or dance their way out of a box if they wanted to.

This movie is such a flop in the hugest way, it saddens me that they spent 250 million dollars to make it. I'm guessing most of this money went to pay the salaries of the actors. This is definitely one of those movies that you will spend the last hour looking at your watch every five minutes waiting for it to end. Don't get me wrong, I think Johnny Depp is a wonderful actor, but the fact that he keeps accepting roles in these mediocre Disney films simply says that he is a complete sell out. It's hard for me to discern exactly what stereotype he's tackling with this oddball incarnation of Tonto, which has all the eccentricity of Captain Jack Sparrow, but only half of the wit. Depp has become another sellout who will take any movie role for X amount of money; there is no artistic integrity involved. Armie Hammer, who I also enjoy, does not have the acting ability to pull off a lead role such as this. He is much better used in co-starring roles such as his role in J Edgar.

The most important aspect of the original Lone Ranger was that it always had a lesson that each episode taught us, something of ethics and morality. This movie does nothing of the kind, it is simply a western with people blowing stuff up. If you're a typical Disney sheep, who will pay good money to see any movie that Disney throws at you, you will probably love this movie. This is what they count on, and is the reason they keep making these awful films. If you are a preteen, you will probably love this movie. If you're one of those people who worship Johnny Depp and will pay to see anything that he is in, you will probably love this movie. If you want to see a movie that has any artistic integrity, or a movie that has a great story and plot, you will hate this movie. If you grew up watching the original Lone Ranger, you will be sadly disappointed (once again) at the mockery that Disney has made of a pure classic. I can understand why Depp is in disguise and Hammer wears a mask...I would be embarrassed to be in this film as well. Hi Ho Silver Away!
148 out of 286 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.