Demigod (2021) Poster

(2021)

So boring it was painful to witness...
paul_haakonsen6 November 2021
Well, if you have problems falling asleep, then I can warmly recommend you put on "Demigod" from writers Miles Doleac and Michael Donovan Horn. This was a snooze-fest of epic proportions.

The storyline told in "Demigod" was bland. So very, very bland. And mundane. Needless to say that the insanely slow pacing of the narrative didn't really do anything to help lift up the movie, as it spiraled further and further into the depths of being unable to return to anything worthwhile.

This 2021 horror movie was a swing and a miss. A massive swing and a miss from director Milea Doleac. And it absolutely fell short of delivering anything enjoyable or entertaining for me. And I have to admit that I gave up on this stinking heap of a movie 49 minutes into the ordeal. Then I just couldn't sit through another minute of torture. And I can honestly say that I am not returning to watch the rest of "Demigod", I just simply couldn't care less about this movie.

The acting performances in the movie were held back by an incredibly poor storyline and stale dialogue. A shame really, because the actors and actresses didn't really have a proper chance to showcase their talents in "Demigod".

For a horror movie then "Demigod" was just a dud.

My rating of this pointless horror movie lands on a one out of ten stars.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Surprised
BandSAboutMovies22 October 2021
When her grandfather dies, Robin (Rachel Nichols) and Leo Murphy (Yohance Myles) return to her birthplace in Germany's Black Forest to find a terrifying secret waiting for them. Yes, as always, you should never go back home ever again.

Directed, co-written by and featuring acting by Miles Doleac (Hallowed Ground, The Dinner Party, The Historian), this movie also finds him bringing back Jeremy London from Mallrats to play Robin's grandfather in flashbacks, the kind of dude who makes kids eyeballs out of freshly killed deer.

So before you know it, three witches and the demigod Cernunnos, Lord of the Hunt, are killing everyone and anyone as they hunt the different characters in pairs. There's an awesome reveal of the demigod which brought Demonoid to mind which is - in my world - a very good thing.

I mean, this is the kind of movie that dares to start with three witches ripping a demon baby directly out of a woman's stomach. That takes some guts because how do you follow that? This is the best film I've seen Doleac create and it's a marked improvement over his previous movies.

This really surprised me. It's a quality folk horror slasher hunt movie that has some name actors and a budget used to its fullest.
26 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyable for what it is
kannibalcorpsegrinder16 October 2021
Upon the death of her grandfather, a woman and her husband return to her birthplace in Germany's Black Forest to sort out the final details of the situation, but when they discover something sinister is lurking in the woods must sort out the truth about what's going on and try to get out alive.

There's a lot to like with this one. One of the better features here is the great setup here involving the interlocking stories which bring the story together. The arrival of the two at the sacred spot in the forest while attempting to investigate the strange death of her relative and clean out his house offers a fine starting point, which is then enhanced nicely with the stories about the dangerous beings in the area and how the woods hold something quite sinister lurking nearby. That carries on with the unknown opening with the cult performing their sacrificial ritual on the first victim as well as her recollections of the strange events that plagued her growing up to set up an intriguing storyline throughout here. With that fine starting point in place, the series of supernatural action on display is rather enjoyable. The aforementioned opening involving the cult stalking and taunting their victim in the forest before performing a gruesome ceremonial ritual is a fine start to this one, while the encounter with the cult in their house is especially dark and chilling with the methodical manner they overwhelm and kidnap them before taking them and several others into the sacrificial spot in the woods to prepare for the game to follow. The setup involving the creature hunting them down through the woods is fun and offers some decent chasing and action for the most part, offering enough gore and effects-work for the creature to give this some enjoyable features. There are a few problems to be had with this one. The biggest problem is the series of confusing and unnecessary alliance switches that are placed throughout the second half in the middle of the game. So much of the films' second half is based on trying to keep themselves alive in the middle of the forest from the strange creature which is already a problem but to do so while in the middle of a bizarre series of confrontations aimed at making the characters' allegiances seem to switch around for no reason. It just simply endangers people for no reason other than to include these aspects into the story and offers nothing of value to these sequences. That ties into the other big issue on display with the appearance of the game to begin with and the purpose it has within the film. While the simple setup seems chilling involving the creature chasing victims through the woods, the concept of the hunt here makes no sense that the random people gathered here, including those who we've never met that are simply there for cannon-fodder making us completely uninterested in their survival anyway but there's no purpose to gathering them only to then set them loose in the forest to be hunted by a creature that would be better served just by slaughtering them rather than go through the motions here. Overall, these factors are the main drawbacks of this one.

Rated Unrated/R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad movie
rotini-5258619 October 2021
Just a horrible movie. Avoid ! Better off watching something else worthwhile. Dime store masks that look ridiculous. Terrible acting. Why bother making this movie ?
5 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Silly idea turned into an interesting movie
supermellowcali15 October 2021
Really well done! With very low expectations I was surprised by excellent acting, directing and cinematography that created suspense. The story didn't disappoint but certainly would have failed if attempted by less talented producers.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I guess Rachel Nichols will do anything these days since hitting 40
mluinstra3 November 2021
This movie is terrible. I could only get to the 40 minute mark, because it was so incredibly boring. The first 25 minutes was talk talk talk and then something happens to the couple and they wake up with other people, and then they talk talk talk. That's when I had enough.

I use to like Rachel Nichols but she has joined Bruce Willis in doing anything for a pay check these days. This movie sucks.
1 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
cynvanity16 October 2021
I'm so glad I ended up watching this. Passionate and vulnerable performance by Rachel Nichols, she really made this film come alive. Horror film buffs this one you will enjoy. Editing and the cinematography is on point to. A must watch.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too amateurish
train107722 October 2021
Well having seen this. The thing that struck me the most, was the really bad use of light. Scenes supposed to be eerie and scary were filmed in daylight, showing unfortunately very amateur costumes and acting.

The entity obviously human dressed in viking-like clothes with an animal mask.

Unfortunately lighting, poor portrayal of "villains and entity" and lack of special effects made this too low quality and destroyed the movie for me.
3 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspenseful
marktowne8217 October 2021
A very entertaining movie with plenty of suspense. Good acting, great camera work, amazing twists. It was a slow start to getting the main plot going but once you are locked in with the characters you are sure to enjoy the ride.
25 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Solid folk horror
mangosteenllc16 October 2021
The film really reminds me of The Wicker Man but has it's only unique spin to it. Lots of gore and the film is well paced from start to finish. I'm usually a little hesitant watching indie films but thankfully this doesn't disappoint.
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Impressive
sorhchcamrubozled15 October 2021
This is such a great horror film. Loved the cinematography and the acting is superb. Plenty of twists and turns that I didn't expect and the ending had me by surprise. If horror style of films is your thing this is one you need to watch. I'll give this a 7.
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't believe the 6.3 star rating - totally fake
modurand16 October 2021
We were fooled into thinking this movie was worthy of the 6.3 rating it had when we discovered it, but clearly this is not an honest reflection of the film, because this is one TERRIBLE movie. Unbelievably boring and slow. The acting wasn't too terrible (though the one-eyed witch was pretty awful, everyone else was merely mediocre), and the story could have been a decent one, but instead they ruined what could have been a suspenseful ancient tale. In addition, pretty much every scene had the characters do at least one incredibly stupid thing. Eye-rolling level stupid things. The music track was entirely inappropriate - slow and melodic instead of anything that built up some kind of suspense, and it would have fit better over a 1970's romance film. If you care about how you spend the next couple of hours, move on from this fake-review-fest and find something worth your time.
13 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth watching
jacobfilmfan516 October 2021
The film has it's flaws but it's an indie film and in all they made it work. Film was shot well, dialogue was just enough to keep me watching and there was some good surprises as you would expect in any horror movie. Well done Miles Doleac, I've seen a few other films from him and he doesn't disappoint.
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun horror
kirbyvoss17 November 2021
Strong cast, engaging cinematography, and taut pacing make this one excellent for a night in under the blankets! This is a "less you know, the better" film - go in blind and enjoy the ride!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't be fooled by the rating...
daymonallen16 October 2021
First off, lazy and cheap. Horrible acting, writing was somewhat OK in the last 3 minutes of the first 20 minutes and went downhill from there. One character that barely spoke English in the beginning due to being a German ended up with a full British English accent half way through. All cosmetic attributes are off the $10.00 Halloween rack including the big budget one, whos fake plastic mask teeth waggled outside the mask where you could see the humans teeth inside.

Even the story was cheap and it seemed like they just started making it up on the fly towards the end.

The one thing I did like, is that several people did sharpen some sticks when they found themselves in the forest being 'hunted'. Will not have to shout at your television... 'omg someone sharpen a stick already'.
9 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WATCH THIS ONE NOW!
wkndjgq17 October 2021
Demigod is great fun (no nudity - minimal gore) but still incredibly creepy and packed with suspense!! A truly interesting story line, complex characters with relationships that work (especially those between the lead couple and the father-daughter team), Solid to inspired acting, excellent cinematography, compelling situations, and great pacing (run time is roughly 90 minutes) make this one a must see. Keep in mind - this is an indie film, with all of the budgetary constraints that that implies so reviews with comparisons to huge budget films and critiques of small details are simply unfair. This is a beautifully executed film by a bunch of folks with more passion for filmmaking than you will likely see elsewhere and definitely definitely worth viewing - Don't miss it!
26 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow.
brian_plaideau19 October 2021
This film is great. It goes to show you don't need big budgets to do it right. From the camera work to the lighting to the story to the acting. The directing & editing were pretty damn good too. Top notch. 10/10 stars.
25 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Remind me to never go into the woods!
roajin17 October 2021
Great little film that shows what can be done with a small dedicated team under demanding circumstances. Filmed during the peak of the COVID pandemic, the cast and crew locked themselves off in the woods to make the film. The trapped feeling of the times bubbles up through the performances but is never referred to other than a "fist bump" reference in passing.
25 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Landmark Independent Film!!
bjkeith198317 October 2021
I'm going to give you all my honest review for Demigod. I'll keep it short and sweet without any spoilers. Very few Independent Films are as great as Demigod turned out to be. I watched it the weekend it dropped along with "Halloween Kills" and I found Demigod to be more well rounded and enjoyable than the latest sequel in the Halloween franchise. Demigod was a fun and wild ride of a movie. I hope this Independent film proves profitable enough to demand a sequel. I enjoyed it that much. If you're looking for that different, and special Horror movie, then look no further. Demigod is your answer. Don't sleep on Demigod, you can thank me later. 10/10.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.