Hick (2011) Poster

(2011)

Poor script elevated by powerful performances.
Jtbone314120 May 2012
I would probably give this about a 5.5, but since that's not available, I'll be nice and say 6. Chloe Moretz is what primarily drove me to see this film at first, especially since I wasn't too familiar with or cared for any of the actors who were to be in it. I might be a bit biased because prior to my viewing, all I'd heard was how AWFUL this film was. But I said screw it, it's Chloe Moretz. I've been on a Chloe binge lately and thought I'd help satisfy it by catching this. A month before its May 11th release, I read the book and was legitimately impressed. The book truly captivates the reader, by giving you a sincere sense of what goes on in Luli's mind, given her experiences with a troubled family and redneck life. Having truly enjoyed the book, I was able to ignore the horrid reviews I'd read and decided I'd go for it anyway.

I'll say this: if it weren't for Chloe Moretz and Eddie Redmayne, this film would truly have been a flop. The script is a bit similar to the book, as pertaining to the volatility of the plot and random introduction of significant characters. But the script fails by giving most of these spontaneously interjected characters ridiculously short screen time (Blake Lively only had about MAYBE 15-20 min. tops?). Characters that had given reasonably substantial meaning to Luli's depicted life on the road, such as Clement, Beau, even Lloyd, had no more than 2-3 minutes screen time apiece, and many of them were given almost no depth whatsoever.

Chloe did a fantastic job of acting, as usual. Her portrayal of a charming, street-smart yet semi-innocent teenage girl is visually and emotionally gripping. Her camera action and dialogue alike are the culmination of what only the most talented, versatile young actress in Hollywood can produce. Blake Lively did a reasonably decent job, and actually showed a surprising amount of character depth. But it is Mr. Redmayne who steals the show.

Having never seen a film with Eddie Redmayne before, I can't say that I had really known what to expect from him. I had read from many sources that he had done a fabulous job in this film, with one such reviewer even claiming he deserved an Oscar nod. Having read the book and been well-acquainted with what to expect from the man playing Eddie Kreezer, the acquaintance-turned-murderer-turned-kidnapper, I was thoroughly and legitimately impressed with his depth. Eddie Redmayne brought a perfect combination of charm and emotional versatility, with the underlying degree of insanity which would turn extreme in the final act of the film. Redmayne's western accent was phenomenal, given his English citizenship, and his charming cowboy persona was spot-on. His mood in scenes would vary from condescending to charming to menacing and so on. I can honestly say that Eddie Redmayne literally made the show for me.

The film as a whole will probably not be up for any (significant) awards, especially given its indie status and almost obsolete promotion. I can't recommend that the average moviegoer check out this film, maybe not even the average Chloe Moretz fan. But if you're up for a road film centered on a young girl who learns to literally pull herself up by her bootstraps and survive countless things, from abandonment to rape to kidnapping and so on, it could be worth your time.
47 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another mature performance from Chloe
rjwilliams51501 December 2012
The excellent Chloe Grace Moretz plays Luli, a Nebraska teen who decides to head to the bright lights of Las Vegas leaving behind her drunk of a father and a mother who has run off with another man, sadly things don't go to plan when she hitches a ride with Glenda (Blake Lively)

The story and performances are all very good, but yet again the stand out is Chloe, her performances in this and other films such as Kick Ass and Let Me In are astonishing for such a young actress (she's barely 15 now!)The movie is gritty as Luli is exposed to the dark under belly of life, drugs, drunks, low life's out to use (and abuse) her.Chloe is well supported by a good cast, Juliette Lewis, Blake Lively and a cameo from Alec Baldwin and I was astonished at the films poor rating on Rotten Tomatoes of 5% fresh, critics eh!?

A mature adult drama well worth a look.
30 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Creeper flick
imdb-1675323 March 2020
Slow-moving and boring story. Cannot determine if characters are drunk, high, stupid, or all of the above. Hard to sit through that for 90 minutes. So many creepers in this film too.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A tough growing up for a girl in a story to be
zaciogeribello14 May 2012
I saw it as a movie that works with a young girl's expectations and anxiety, while she grows fast in a very complicated environment, passing through tough situations. She's in the middle of building a new identity, because of her age, after her family brakes up and abandons her in the middle of nowhere. She is in a completely fragile and vulnerable position, but her mind, heart and soul are trying to find a way for her life, for her personality and for her values. She brings memories and integrity from childhood that now have to face a grown up world, without any help. It's a movie about a story to be, that can't find a solution until it ends.

Characters and plot are searching, they are all in the road and this constant reference to the road makes the extreme beauty of this movie. Hick, or Luli, the girl is not just the main character but she is also the personification of this story to be, girl to be, to find her own answers and life while passing through all the changes of her age and without any base but two very problematic older friends she met. There is a total identity between the girl and the space she lives in an is trying to get out of. The light, the desert sceneries, they make Luli great, strong, and that's why she keeps going on. Because, after all, that's her world and her life, and we see all the action as if those were her own mind working, searching for answers and for a way out of the trouble.

She is completely alone and lost, but she wants to experience this new life, she desires this new world, so it's not only a drama, it's also an adventure. She loves the ones that cannot love her back the way she needs the most, neither the way she wants, but they love her two, while lost in their own worlds. They couldn't find anything better, while she just doesn't give up, and that is a conflict with bad consequences, as the sexual molest. Luli is growing up in a extreme situation and she is determined to patiently pass through everything she'll have to go through, to get over it.

The most simple things of life are not allowed here, there is no access to it. In a situation like that, what would anyone do? That's what this movie is about. Hick represents a distance from the possible world and from the real world. It's a situation her people are indeed struggling so desperately every day to keep their lives. But, somehow, in the edges of this forgotten world it's effectively reality who keeps them prisoners, so this story asks for reflection too.

It's not exactly an imaginary story, elements are very real and we can feel their impact in social differences or in the power relation between men and women, and in the uneven risks a young girl has to take to go on with her life. We can find all this elements in our daily lives. Luli feels deep love and friendship and learns its forms in this very disturbing world. She can't just say no and go back to anything before that. She has this chance repeatedly but she knows she has to move forward, no matter what, it's her only way out.

Chloë Grace Moretz, Eddie Redmayne and Blake Lively hold the story with an intense acting, strong rhythm and gradual tension, until the outcomes. I also liked very much the direction of Derick Martini and the approach of the story. It's not inappropriate at all, if we think that sexuality gains more and more importance every day in our times, in this culture where precocity and desire are so stimulated, and we have Internet. There's got to be a permanent discussion about it. Chloë is a very mature girl for her age, that can be seen in the movie, as an actress she entirely dominates her role and gives it strong traces and emotions. One more great job for her brilliant career. Eddie Redmayne and Blake Lively worked with her in perfect connection and that allowed this movie to be so expressive in a very single story.
47 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a comedy
winfieldannette3 October 2020
The acting was good but the plot was very depressing. This was sad.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Chloë 's leading role.
supraman_solo17 May 2012
What a pleasure it was to watch miss Chloë Grace Moretz in this gritty film. She brought to life the character of "Luli" in a very realistic and oh so typical teenager kind of way. I enjoyed the way that the story telling was accentuated through "Luli's" drawings, and the occasional spoken word. Derek Martini's work here was impressive, and I was comforted in the way the ugly scenes were foretold. Andrea Portes book was somewhat more graphic. All the cast worked very well together, and it was cool to see Chloë and Alec Baldwin together again. My attention was held from the first frame to the very last. I hope they bring this out on Bluray, so I can enjoy the tale for years to come.
33 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Wizard of Oz for our Times
mpfk7 April 2012
Derick Martini, whose promise was richly manifested in Lymelife (2009), now gives us a film of poetic if unnerving beauty. Hick's plot is as old as literature—the exploits of a young hero who leaves familiar places to encounter and then overcome terrifying obstacles. It is also the story that lies at the heart of America and a coming-of-age parable suited to our times. The Wizard of Oz featured Dorothy; Hick features Luli McMullen, a 13-year old Nebraska girl who trades the boredom of her Midwestern town and tortured parents lost in alcohol for excitement along the road to Las Vegas, where she hopes to find a sugar-daddy. Based on the best-selling novel by Andrea Portes, who also wrote the film's script, Hick is a courageous statement about the power of will; a reminder that very young girls can be daring and sensual but also thoughtful and ultimately wise.

The film begins with a bang. At the party marking her thirteenth birthday, Luli receives a 45 Smith & Wesson as a present from her uncle. This makes for a jaw-dropping moment funny, deeply sad, and fraught with peril—three elements that distinguish the film as a whole. Luli uses the gun to channel Dirty Harry in front of a mirror. When she stands in her underwear, alone in her bedroom, pointing the weapon at her own image—"Do you feel lucky, punk; well, do ya?"—we suspect, Toto, this is uncharted territory. Luli is an about-to-blossom new icon—a girl to whom gender is incidental, a child-woman with a practical understanding of her body and a dogged determination to survive. She is as vulnerable as she is ready to kick butt.

Luli embodies the yearnings of youth and the heavy burdens of childhood. She is an artist who draws exquisite, longing images of her little brother who was born blue and refused to stay in the world. She has a sharp eye and a wicked tongue but the rumbling in her head is that of an old spirit. Luli has always had to take care of herself and, so far, she has had more losses than gains. She has every reason to be bitter but she chooses hope instead. She's a can-do girl for the New Millennium. We believe her when she declares, "I got something that's gonna throw me straight into the sun." Hick, the novel, was widely praised for its economy of style and the beauty of its language. Those virtues have been preserved in the film.

Along the yellow brick road that connects her past and her future, Luli—recreated by the talented Chlöe Grace Moretz—encounters Eddie, a broken spirit trapped in a broken body. As portrayed by Eddie Redmayne in an award-deserving performance, Eddie Kreezer is a young nobody with a limp, the result of his failed career as a rodeo artist. He appears innocuous but evolves into the epitome of obsession, aiming to use Luli as a toy, an object to suit his desires. On the road to Las Vegas Luli also meets Glenda—played with wit and intelligence by Blake Lively—a grifter who becomes the girl's guide and mentor. Like other fairy godmothers, Glenda is beautiful, impetuous, and manipulative. This one also snorts coke and cons men. She lures Luli into a series of deceptions that are as troubling as they are hilarious. In the end, Luli must escape the wiles of both Eddie the monster and Glenda the calculating witch to surface on the other side of the road where the world of promise and reconfigured goals is waiting. She faces violence and near death, as all heroes must, in her pursuit of a new freedom. What is wonderful about Luli is that she keeps moving forward no matter how broken her heart is. Towards the end of her adventure she considers going back home only to discover that home is no longer there—it has been taken over by Wal Mart.

This too is significant. Hick is Luli's story but also a recounting of the way in which the American landscape has been savagely changed by commercial interests. Like Luli, nature grapples with abuse. As she travels west, the young heroine celebrates the vistas before her and wryly laments the misuse of the land. But there is still poetry in that land. Director Martini deftly portrays the breathtaking amplitude of the American countryside with its luscious fields and endless skies. Ordinary diners and motels become in his hands places where magic can happen even to a runaway girl. Rarely has the forlorn beauty of neglected neon strips and lost main streets been captured so well. Trucks and cars, like those a failed cowboy might favor, have never looked more enticing. The heart-stilling terrain that serves as a backdrop for Hick is further brought to life by the music of Bob Dylan and a haunting, complementary score.

Hick joins a long string of American movies celebrating the power of resilience and optimism. From Star Wars (1977) to Good Will Hunting (1997) and the Harry Potter series (2001 – 2011), we rejoice in the triumph of spirit over matter, endurance over apathy, and good over evil. In most of those cases the heroes have been boys. Hick's tarnished champion is a girl and a very young girl at that. For that reason, despite its beauty and originality, Hick will make some uncomfortable. By now we are used to teens appearing on television, pretending to be femmes fatales but such images can be lightly dismissed as cartoons. Not so with Hick. Luli is a character to be taken seriously—one whose earnest and innocent sexuality is vivid. We have never met a 13-year old girl who sets out to write her own story, errors and twisted turns included. The question is whether we are ready for her and the world she will usher in. Time will tell.

Hick is a richly inspiring film; one that renews the conviction that in America all things are possible.
50 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I loved it, based on things that really could happen.
chloefairyemo3 January 2016
I advise that you watch this movie. Why? Because it is somewhat educational for teens. I am a teen I'm just saying. But I'm never going to run away! This movie made me cry, laugh and scared of the fact that this could actually happen and this is real stuff. Overall, this is an amazing movie and you couldn't have picked a better Luli, Chloë just played Luli's rule so greatly. I would of given this a ten if it hadn't had so much swearing. I loved how nicks character came in from the beginning so she knew who he was and trusted him. Throughout this movie there were many predictable moments and I think nick was quite a predictable character. Without giving any spoilers away, to make you want to watch this movie, or maybe you already have seen it and your Here to write a review.whatever you are doing you should definitely watch this movie if your a high school teacher I think they should show this at high schools as I said this is very educational, and because many students don't know what's wrong like Luli here, this would really help to talk through this, and point out what she did wrong. I just loved this movie!
10 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
HICK is insane and insanely cool.
OneJupiterMoon29 November 2011
I saw HICK in Toronto and I was blown out of my seat, as was my best friend and my kid- sister. I don't know if you have to be under 25 to "get" this movie but we definitely felt like we had been on the craziest ride of our lives.

As for me, part of me felt like I kept getting slapped in the face, part of me felt like I kept falling in love with Eddie Redmayne, part of me felt like I was super-uncomfortable but was dying to see what was going to happen next and a really big part of me couldn't believe how good of an actress Chloe Moretz is, at only 13 or 14 or whatever.

I don't think I've ever seen a girl that age be that good, yes, TRUE GRIT included. Honest. Chloe Moretz in HICK makes that girl from TRUE GRIT look like a one-note wonder. Dare you to see it and disagree. Dare you.

The other thing I couldn't help but notice is that Blake Lively can actually act. And she's good. I know. I thought she sucked, too. But she's really, really good in this movie. (Even better than in THE TOWN.)

I only know Alec Baldwin from 30 Rock and my dad hating him but I thought he was excellent in the film. I've only see him do comedy so this was really different. Maybe he should do more dramatic roles because he was really interesting in this one.

I loved the costumes in the film, I just wanted to be a part of this world in a weird way. I don't want to spoil the end of the movie but, put it this way, we were all crying. It was embarrassing, really.

We were all crazy about the film and I even bought the book after, which I read super-fast. I, then, gave the book to my best friend and she read it and now she won't even give it back. I don't know. I think HICK is the only thing I've seen, or read, in a long time that seems to have anything to do with me. Everything else is all about vampires or comic-books or people sawing each other in half. I love this film because it was like nothing I'd ever seen before but I really felt like it was happening, thanks to the amazing acting of everyone but especially Chloe Moretz.

I just read that this film is coming out in theaters and I'm extremely excited because I can't wait to see it again. I recommend this film to anyone under 25 or to anyone that is a girl, or maybe a gay guy. I wouldn't recommend this film to anyone like my parents, though. I just don't think this is a film for older people. They'd probably just get mad or freaked out or something.
52 out of 103 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A different kind of coming of age story. Great acting and depressing story. If you liked "Jolene" watch this one. I say B.
cosmo_tiger14 June 2012
"You could shake your knuckles at the sky, you could get mad and say I don't got nothing', you could get stuck." Thirteen year old Luli (Moretz) comes from a very messed up family. She spends the night of her 13th birthday at a bar with her parents and when the dad is too drunk to drive home a big fight occurs. When her mother leaves with an insurance man and her dad gets mad and leaves she is left alone. Deciding she needs a fresh start she heads out on her own for Las Vegas. The best way to describe this movie really is to compare it to the movie "Jolene" that came out a few years ago. But I'm guessing most people didn't see it so I will do my best. It sounds strange to say this but this is a coming of age story about a 13 year old girl. Through the people she meets on her way she has new life experiences that involves things she shouldn't learn about for at least 5 more years. Moretz is amazing in this and I just wonder how long it will take until she wins an Oscar. The cast in this is also very good and the movie is very much worth watching all the way to the surprising and bittersweet ending. I liked it. Overall, a very good movie about a not so typical life of a 13 year old. I give it a B.
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring and Pointless
nbery16 October 2014
I like highbrow drama as much as the next person, but at the 1 hour mark, nothing much had still happened in this movie.

Blake Lively looked confused and not much vested in her role. It's likely she signed on to do this film with expectations, but once it was underway, she lost interest.

I love Chloe and probably only made it to 1 hour because she was interesting to watch, but again, nothing interesting happened.

Eddie Redmayne is a great actor but even he couldn't save this limp "story". Even after the "murder scene", I was bored and ended up turning it off.

What a waste of actors, money, and film.
13 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast, hard to ignore
MonsieurMS7 July 2018
A gritty and hard nosed coming of age story, this great little film has Hit Girl (Moretz) branching out into new territory, namely, something meaningful. It is not unusual growing up to hit a point when we think we know everything and have it all figured out. Usually, that's the point we look back on later and realize we knew nothing at all. Luli starts out naive, but not realizing it. She thinks she is all grown up, to the point of flaunting some sexuality. She finishes a lot wiser, having had some hard lessons. Baldwin has a nice turn, a bit more than a cameo, but he does a lot with a little. It's the script that really works, though. Nicely paced, written and thought out, it puts it all together.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Loved it
eboogyman221 May 2013
I know the reviews here are mixed but I'm the type of person who doesn't like many movies and can be a bit critical. I loved this movie though. Would I still love it if Chloe Grace was not in it? Probably not. The girl lights up the screen whenever she's on and she's an amazing actor for her age. Luli ( Chloe's character ) meets Glenda after running away, Glenda is a tragic and sad character who was probably like luli a decade earlier.

The story worked for me because I saw the two characters as possibly having similar fates, but will luli follow Glenda's path into tragedy or will she persevere. Now maybe those who gave it poor reviews didn't see the beauty in that aspect of the movie but it was hard for me to ignore. The acting is wonderful and I loved every scene.
11 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointing I'm afraid...
cat_ranchero6 July 2013
I first have to say that I have no problems with the performances; everyone did a great job in that department. Throughout the film Luli is drawing in a sketch book as she narrates and I really liked the simplicity of the drawings. No, what let it down (IMO) was a poorly put together script. They say it's a bad idea to let the writer of a novel attempt the screenplay and I suspect this is a case in point. It probably works very well as a book, but it really didn't work on the screen in this form. I like the actors fine but I found little to like in the characters. Our main focus, Luli, has very few redeeming features; she was a victim of circumstance all the way through and I found it quite frustrating to watch I'm afraid. Sadly not one I can recommend.

SteelMonster's verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED

My score: 4.9/10

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hickster tale with Moretz at the helm
videorama-759-85939111 January 2016
Such a good and entertaining drama, is Hick, but of course what makes it entertaining is great little actress, Chloe Moretz, who takes on a braver, role, before that of something, like The Equalizer. She's sick of her white trash existence. At it's start, again, we see a kind of stereotypical type to Moretz's role, as a friendless schoolkid who's just turned lucky thirteen, where her Mum (Lewis) splits, seeing a much better offer with a much older ordinary looking guy, as she's left with good for nothing father, so she splits, meeting a few different characters, on her travels, and with her sexual prowness, raises a few eye lids. Hick is a movie adventure as to see what path, Moretz's life will take. She gets in a little deep, with a well meaning, but older unhinged cowboy, (Redmayne) excellent like Moretz, who wants her sexually, and Moretz will get a few meters running here. A fattened up Baldwin, a lodge owner, plays a real ambiguous and dark character, really hard to make sense of, who feels no remorse, in killing his own chickens, for profit. A cute little time passing drama, with great/strong performances, Hick is. It has a couple of moments that shock, but aren't we getting tired of wannabe tough asses, giving that Dirty Harry 44 magnum speech.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good but tough watch.
calebcunningham4116 June 2013
Out of all the movies I've seen this far in life, this has been one of the toughest so far. The screenplay was amazing. The casting was perfect. The plot was entertaining. BUT; in the end of it all, it's really hard to watch a young 13 year old girl go through so much pain at just that young age. It's a tough watch because this young girl has an awful life and tries her hardest to get away from it all but on the way to get away she gets caught up in some real adult places and situations that are quite disturbing for such a young girl. Hick is a good film, that is, if you like indie/rebel movies. There's a lot of good things/qualities in this film but, again, it's tough to watch. So because of all that I gave this a 6 out of 10. Keep in mind, this is a very believable story so it may be hard for some people to watch. It is the worth the time to watch but bare in mind that it is rated R for a good reason.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
the redmayne road
Sir_Harry_Flashman7 January 2012
I was lucky enough to catch this at Toronto, and I went in with high expectations given the cast. With regards to that every actor turns in an outstanding performance.

The one frustration is that since this is an ensemble/episodic movie some of the supporting roles are not as juicy as one might like, but that just serves to highlight the Moretz lead, which is impressive.

I really enjoyed the episodic narrative and they way the scenic rural landscape is a backdrop to a far from picture perfect life.

Finally, Ray McKinnon is in a scene that is really up there with the Hopper/Walken scene in True Romance for its combination of tension and humor. I am sure everyone will have a different favorite scene though - there are many to choose from.
13 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not without flair
arrowhead1227229 June 2012
But and there is a big BUT here, it is a far inferior story than Martini's "Lymelife", which I have also recently seen. Lymelife drove me to this movie with very high expectations. Maybe too high? It actually pained me to watch the flaws in Hick directly after viewing "Lymelife". I do not regret discovering this director's work and I do not regret seeing "Hick". I just felt like the (for lack of a better word) "scenarios" in "Hick" were wildly far- fetched. Like "Lymelife", Martini pulls magnificent performances from all of his cast. Juliette Lewis for instance is stuck playing a role that is so not even close to the reality of what a bad mother is but Martini plays to her strengths and. like the rest of the cast, creates more enigmatic characters, which feels like a director straining to "sell" characters that don't work. It's a noble effort, and it shockingly succeeds in most cases. Take Chloe Moretz as Luli. It's her story. The director makes it very clear that it is hers and only hers so you are forced to see other people how she sees them. Which is ambiguous. That's where it works best. Where it fails is when you understand all too clearly who these people are supposed to be as written. Simply, they are poorly written and when push comes to shove, there's only so much a director, cinematographer and great soundtrack can do to save the day. Again, Hick is not without merits, and it is strikingly emotional and beautifully done at times. Especially the work of Eddie and Luli and Glenda. Martini has a gift with actors, but he has to recognize that without the proper writing, he cannot win. I was not shocked to see that this was not his material, but that doesn't get him a "pass". As shown in "Lymelife", he is a writer comparable to a young Kenneth Lonergan and to me that makes the end result of this movie even more unacceptable. I except much better.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well played tragic story which offers hope
OJT27 December 2013
Hick was full of actors I tend to like, and that's why Iwanted to see it as well. And sure enough I enjoyed very much the acting in this film, which is the main asset of this film.

13 year old Luli is growing up in trashy home without the stability which is recommended a young child. Her birthday present on her 13th birthday, which is held in a bar, is a gun. Luli is sick and tired of her mother's partner changing, and wants to go off to L.A. to find a more prosperous life. She starts off hiking, and soon gets picked up by a seemingly nice young man.

Hick is a road-movie and a coming of age story which offers a nice ride. I tend to like stories which doesn't reveal too much of bad happenings, and I give kudos to the filmmaker here for letting us as viewers do some of the imaginative work. This might though be the reason for others not to like this movie as much as others.

The setting is great, the believability the same, and obviously the director has a great hand with the actors as well. Some would want more from a film like this. I disagree. The acting is flawless by the entire cast, and this is why this will be so recommended by me. A nice story about dreary lives, which still is well worth watching as it delivers hope for a better tomorrow.
6 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hick
dukeakasmudge13 February 2015
I was expecting some happy, feel good type of movie.If that's what you're expecting as well then forget about it.This movie (At times) was disturbing & tough to watch.I was thinking about turning it off at the beginning (For some reason I just could not get into it) but I stuck around.In some ways, I'm glad I stuck around & in some ways, I wish I would've just turned it off when I was going to.I'm glad I stuck around to see how it turned out in the end especially after reading it was based on a true story.I wish I would've turned it off when I was going to because some scenes were disturbing & tough to watch especially knowing it was based on a true story.Hick is a movie that I'd only watch once.Not only because of how real it was but because it's a movie worth watching once but not more than once
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing Acting by All Involved
butterflywars24 May 2012
'Hick' had a lot going for it but the superb acting by the entire cast is unquestionably the major selling point that made 'Hick' one of the best movies so far of 2012.

Newcomer (at least for me) Eddie Redmayne was tremendous as a believable low-life with no sense of direction. He has future star written all over him. Blake Lively played a role she's done before (The Town) and did it with perfection. The best performance of 'Hick', however, just happened to be Chloë Grace Moretz. She is quickly turning into my favorite actress in Hollywood at the ripe age of 15. She kicked ass in 'Kick-Ass' and was an adorable cutie in 'Hugo' but she gives her best performance to date by becoming a character reminiscent to Jodie Foster in 'Taxi Driver.' It is Oscar worthy without a doubt.

Critics have said that nothing can be learned by watching 'Hick' but that wasn't the case for me. I learned that your life can to to s*** with the blink of an eye, even for a teenager. You will seem defeated with hopelessness mixed in. It can be a daunting scenario to get out of but it's possible to come out better than before the downward spiral even started. Give 'Hick' a chance. You may not like the story progression but there's no way anyone coming out of this movie can say that the acting was mediocre or worse. The acting alone makes 'Hick' a must watch.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Coming of age road drama, courageous in both the character and delivery
contractarianx21 April 2012
Modern Wizard of Oz meets Taxi Driver, with less crutch of violence needed to deliver a fearless series of bracing and relentless turns. Martini's unsparing obsession with the art of act, delivered in the raw to near extemporaneous impact, is a must see for aficionados and students of same. Ace cinematography frames perspicacious performances punctuated by: a darkly innocent Chloë Grace, matured beyond but never is she less than Kick Ass; Blake the artist we all hoped to see behind the mask of disarming and prior less tested beauty; all topped off with Eddie's gripping portrayal of … well, 'Eddie' which matches if not exceeds the best of early, raw de Niro at his most arresting. If you liked Eddie on Tony taking Broadway, in his evanescent while ageless week with Marilyn or acclaimed as Richard on stage in London, drop that II'nd in favour of Dante's 9th with a country drawl and delight in the descent. Bob Dylan's music lays the stage and marks tempo throughout this pull no punches screenplay based on Portes' acclaimed novel. Bother to see it- a must for their fans and perhaps most enduringly, for those who love the pure art of film or any student of same- be it in direction, edit or act. A destined classic, and brave for its time.
12 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hick is a brilliant future classic
banana13 May 2012
Terrific on so many levels. Performances are all top-notch. Leads as well as cameos. Beautiful storytelling mixing humor and anxious fear and suspense. Neither candy-coated or painted black this tale of a young girl learning about the world is a certified future classic. We are right with Luli as she struggles to discern between the good and bad in people, And we are as unsure of Eddie and others that she encounters, as she is. People betray each other and themselves. And some are better than we might have thought. Derek Martini makes a huge jump with this film, where the land itself speaks and a field of crops can make your skin crawl.
9 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Movie with Supreme Acting
Skylerz22 June 2012
First off the movie is very good, it's not great but nonetheless a good movie. The movie itself does lack some depth and elements that would have made it a great picture but it's also another example that exceptional acting can exist within a lacking movie.

First off Chloe Moretz, how could anyone not like this kid? She's just stunning to watch on screen. She ranks right up there with the top kid actresses of their time, Dakota Fanning, Jodi Foster, Saoirse Ronan etc.. She's just that good whether it be a foul mouth little vigilante superhero, a 12 year old blood sucking killer or an intense peek into the life of a little girl who has absolutely nothing good in her life to help guide her into adulthood. She captures audiences with tools of facial expressions, sincerity, real tears and of course her innate ability to drop F bombs like she's a drunken sailor. She's the type of actor that makes any movie better. With her in a picture it's a win-win for all that is involved even if it's just a viewer.

Eddie Redmayne - I don't know what it is about this guy but he's a true scene stealer, He has a wonderful ability to bring life into his characters and an element of realism that is far superior then most actors we see today. I watched a few episodes of The Pillars of the Earth and although I didn't like the series Redmayne was the only interesting actor in the series. I think it's his realistic young man next store, somewhat dorky trouble making look combined with excellent acting ability that sets him apart from today's actors. Watch out for Eddie because I think he's going to have a wonderful career.

Blake Lively was really good as well, totally believable and a pleasure to watch. The rest of the cast although good were pretty much just filler and could have been pulled off by most actors today.

Anyway if you like character studies and the struggles of youth then you'll enjoy this movie. Even though the movie itself lacks some depth the main cast will definitely give you a feel for the characters and at times it may even feel like you're a fly on the wall or standing in the same room with them. The actors will draw you in and Chloe through her character of Luli can and will make grown men eyes swell up and shed a tear; especially any fathers with daughters.
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Time You and Movie Talent Can Never Get Back
armyissue-0280812 November 2017
All the actors/actresses played their parts well IMO, but the story is horrible. Synopsis; girl has what she thinks is a bad life, runs away, to more crazy and worse life...the big issue is the way the story and directing go about it...it's like they're trying to pull off some cult classic feel like pulp fiction, or kill bill....but this never gets it right...which is horrible for all the actors/tresses because every time they have to convey an emotion or look, they get it right. But the story is a major disjointed pile of trash, poorly directed, and IF this story merited a movie, it was poorly written. Watch Gimme Shelter if you want a movie with "a girl got beat down, but made it out with help" in a sane and thoughtful approach. Hick is a waste of valuable minutes out of a life that you can never reclaim.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.