Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011) Poster

End of an era... End of our childhoods... End of Harry Potter
vila-ddt15 July 2011
What can I say... This was by far the most amazing finale any fan could have asked for. I cried, I laughed, I was short of breath in many instances, I was disturbed, but overall I was thoroughly satisfied with the conclusion of this series. I felt something amazing after the movie ended, something I didn't feel after reading the book. Being able to watch the end of Harry Potter on the big screen really brought the impact of just how much this series has touched not only my life, but the lives of everyone around me. Deathly Hallows Part 2 is by far (in my opinion) the best movie of 2011 and quite possibly one of the best movies of all time. I don't want to give any spoilers I just want to express how happy I am with this film. It picks up where Part 1 left off, all of the characters get the closure they deserve, and the story just comes full circle!

BRAVO!!! That is all I have to say. Thank you to everyone involved in these movies for taking the world on such an amazing journey. J.K Rowling, thank you for writing such a masterpiece that will truly live on in my heart, and so many others hearts for years to come.

Go see this movie!
236 out of 274 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My childhood..
hjpog26 December 2015
At the start of J.K. Rowling, thank you for this wonderful series of books forever. I can tell you this current state of my childhood and my future. Sign up everywhere it has always been a part of Harry Potter's name. I'd say the most important series of my life. I owe my childhood such wonderful pass to the books and movies of this series. In this series, even though I know better than the series it has always been a special place for me in this series and it will always continue. This movie is definitely the best in the series. And the players is the most mature film. You feel throughout the film until the end of the final air and this is an amazing thing for fans like me. Book series as well as certainly never did. However, in each film it was pretty cool. And with incredible finale made this film. Harry certainly kept the best for last. Put all the music from the beginning to the end of the movie you are very successful and internal chills. You feel deeply cool is really going on. When the film ended up being a very big gap within you. Of course, you are a part of this world...
111 out of 136 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II gets everything right to send off Harry on a cinematic high
Loving_Silence12 July 2011
I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter books, they're all so great and magical. But I didn't think the film series were perfect at all, but they were still great movies. With that, I was extremely excited to see the end of the film franchise, and impressed with the trailers. So I had high expectations. And thankfully it did not disappoint, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II, blew past my already high expectations and I was enthralled!

The whole movie looked spectacular! The cinematography extremely well done, the art direction was incredible. The movie was beautiful to look at, the visuals were spectacular and truly Oscar worthy! The set designers, cinematographers really need to be awarded for their work, because it looks like they spend of time and money on the look of the film.

The cast of the film was pretty much perfect, they should all be applauded too. Emma Watson, as usual is and great and she'll have a bright career ahead of her. Rupert Grint is pretty much great also, he is a fine actor indeed. Daniel Radcliffe did an amazing job and was very memorable as Harry Potter. Although I think Ralph Fiennes was the star of the film, he did unbelievable job as the evil, crazy Lord Voldemort, I think he deserves an Oscar Nomination for his role. The rest of the cast were also great too.

We all grew up overtime with the series, we followed the adventures of Harry Potter for around 10 years, I think. It seems very weird that there will be no more Harry Potter films to look forward too. I will miss the franchise very much! However I am happy the series got an amazing ending. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II is not only the best film in the series, but it will probably be one of the best films of 2011. Everyone should see this film, even if they don't like past Harry Potter films.
483 out of 702 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The series ends on a very strong note.
Pjtaylor-96-13804430 April 2018
The conclusion to the series hits some of the strongest emotional beats, mainly due to our long-standing connection with the characters, and provides some grand visual treats in the form of extended magical battles. While 'Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)' may be the biggest in scale and it is entertaining, it does feel lacking in depth - since some things are left oddly unexplained - and instead comes across as an extended third act for its duration. It actually plays out like one long climax, with little of the build-up required to further invest the audience, but at least it's well paced and doesn't hang about. A strong note on which to end a phenomenal series. 8/10
44 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"It all ends" well
cchip9614 July 2011
This movie could not do any better, it ended the Harry Potter series with a bang. It is a good balance from the first part of The Deathly Hallows. The first part was more of a drama, while part two was action packed left and right. This may be my favorite movie of the series, though all of them are equally amazing. I have read the books, and there are definitely major changes in the movie, but I find they fit perfectly well with the story, even if it isn't the original plot. Even for those who haven't read the books (why wouldn't you?!), it is equally enjoyable. This movie, along with the rest in the series, will be loved for years and years to come.
206 out of 297 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Exhilarating and Beautiful Conclusion to a Magnificent Saga.
theycallmemrglass7 July 2011
I saw this at a preview screening in London.

Deathly Hallows part 2 ends this incredibly well produced saga with tremendous grace and a beautifully orchestrated climax that I am sure will satisfy both lovers of the books and films.

If you have read the books as I have you will be glad to know major key moments are intact. Much is missing but I won't dwell on that, no point, its how well this movie plays out and for me it rolls wonderfully between excitement, thrills and emotional drama towards a satisfactory (though a slightly rushed) conclusion.

There are at least 2 sequences so powerful that I defy anyone not to at least stifle a tear or choke a little. One of those sequence is an exquisitely executed flashback that is pivotal to the whole story.

I have to say, that despite the woes we book readers have when elements (big chunks of it too) are omitted from the movies, much credit still has to go to Steve Kloves for adapting the books for the big screen, cleverly weaving, changing and even adding new big elements to give a kinetic flow to the narrative and here it all comes together superbly.

David Yates assured direction has nurtured our young actors in the last 4 films to blossom into even more adept actors who convey their characters with natural tones without overacting. Daniel Radcliffe had to carry this movie more than any other and has done so brilliantly complemented with great support from his two companions, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint.

Pretty much all the characters we have met in all the movies have made an appearance in this finale but one actor stands out, Alan Rickman. His portrayal of Professor Snape has always been a joy to watch (if a little novel) but here his scenes will leave a dramatic engraving in my memory. Here he elevates his portrayal of one of the most complex character in young adult literature to an unforgettable piercingly emotional one.

Another actor who really shines in the few scenes that he has, is Matthew Lewis as Neville Longbottom who we see gradually transforming over the past films from the clumsy bullied boy to a brave warrior in this final film. Many other British thespians of the series also have their few moments to shine especially Maggie Smith's Professor McGonagal who was a delight to watch as she takes charge of the defence of Hogwarth School.

As for the spectacle of the battle and showdowns, while not at the scale of Lord of the Rings, I honestly cant think how it could have been done better as the film makers have intertwined heart stopping action with dramatic progressions in the narrative. Its actually more visceral and dynamic than the rather smaller scale battle of the brilliant novels (not to take anything away from Rowling's writing).

Do I have any gripes? Yes I do. Although I applaud Steve Kloves for a difficult screenplay adaption...I think he could still have done better at explaining some odd anomalies that only readers of the book will understand. This might annoy you if you haven't read the books. But its a small gripe because what we get is delightful.

What an amazing achievement to faithfully bring Rowling's epic saga to the big screen with the same cast and largely the same crew, maintaining the brilliant quality right to the end.

Oh my god, its only just sinking in, this was the end....but what a great great end.
305 out of 456 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic End
ephoratus13 July 2011
Even though I consider myself to be a huge HP fan I never thought I would actually give a movie from this series straight 10 out of 10. Just saw the movie today and the word epic is almost an understatement. This movie really lives up to the promises that have been made. Further more it is (in my opinion at least) the movie that stays most loyal to the book. I did miss some scenes from the book yet nothing relevant was left out. I don't want to give out any spoilers 'cause I don't want to ruin it for you but if you have read the book it will be very easy to follow and if not - well I think it still makes sense most of the time. I highly recommend you to watch it whether you're a fan or not. 10/10
304 out of 467 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better Ending
TourettesPersonal19 July 2011
Endings are usually the problems of most movie series. They usually end up being mediocre & unsatisfying or they are made to cash in people. The great thing about Harry Potter movies, the filmmakers are taking their job seriously. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is a great ending of the series. It's more than throwing a lot of action and exposition. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is one of those conclusion that actually care about the series.

Deathly Hallows part 1 is just the first and the half of the second act of the story. Deathly Hallows part 2 begins straight forward to its continuation of the last Harry Potter film. And of course, if you haven't seen Deathly Hallows Part 1 or any of the Harry Potter movies, you'll be confused to death. Obvious isn't it? It's pretty clever to make the whole Deathly Hallows story like a slow burn. It started from silent thrills, plans, and escapes to big and loud battles.

The series doesn't only end with big and loud action. It also gives us some nostalgia from the old Harry Potter films. And we still get to see more of the characters. The movie itself is pretty exciting. It's a good choice to let David Yates direct the rest of the Potter films because he made this series darker and bolder. Aside from that the film still has its compelling moments like the Prince's Tale scene.

No need to tell about the performances of Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and the rest of the cast because they are obviously good to their characters but there is one actor here is worth mention and that is Alan Rickman. We already knew him as Snape but there is one scene where we see more of his character and his performance was excellent. The filmmaking, the special effects is obviously good. The music score really made the battle scenes epic and perfect for a final film.

For me it's really hard to write a review about Harry Potter. Is it because I never read the books or I'm not really a huge fan but in my opinion Harry Potter is a successful series. If I rank all the movie conclusions, this could be number three because nothing beats Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. Either you're a fan or not, you'll love this series. And yes, this is another remarkable movie series.
123 out of 187 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant!
kjm9213 July 2011
I predict this will be the movie of the year.

I was thoroughly immersed in this movie from start to finish and when leaving the cinema (twice in the last 24hours) I could only hear the endless chatter of comments like "That was great" and "Brilliant way to end the series".

Though, in my opinion, some key factors were missing or needed more exploration I think you'll find it's easy to clue on whether you've read the novels or not. Some previously main characters were lucky to slip in a line or two whilst some of the more minor characters sneaked their way up to the top.

The film was brilliantly directed. Music, lighting, script; everything was flawless. Some scenes had my skin crawling and heart racing for absolutely no reason other then the fact that it was utterly eerie, it was hard not to grip the armrests in anticipation.

Dramatic musical build up mixed perfectly with lingering silences in all the right places. Spots that would usually host a soft violin were left with the honest and real quiet so that you could wrap your head around everything.

My emotions were chewed up and spit out over and over, I didn't know whether to grieve, cheer, laugh or scream and neither did the audience I was with.

By the end I couldn't even think of the fact that it was the end of an era, I couldn't even grasp everything that had happened which is why I'll be going to see it for the third time within this next week.

You wont regret paying for the full experience with this one.
233 out of 372 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A breathtaking finale to an amazing series
DonFishies31 July 2011
Moments after I saw the very first trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I was crawling with goosebumps and plagued with anxiety. After almost a decade, the franchise was coming to an end. I had already read the book, knew the plotting, and remembered the fates of all the characters, but the trailer left me in a near unfathomable state -- the end was coming, and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Picking up practically the exact moment where the first half of the left off, the film begins with Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) still on the trail for the elusive Horcruxes that make up Voldemort's (Ralph Fiennes) soul. Rather quickly, it becomes apparent that the group will need to travel back to Hogwarts, and it is there that the final battle to determine the fate of the wizarding community, and the world at large, begins.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is a fitting finale for one of the best and most consistent series of the past decade. It is a simply wondrous spectacle that extends and concludes the story wonderfully. While the story and effects are just as great as always, it is the final battle we have all been waiting for that delivers in spades. It is everything you imagined it would be and more. Splitting the films may still be a debatable decision, but the film is able to stand on its own much the same way the previous part did. It is that good, and that gripping. It may be the shortest Harry Potter film, but it is also the only one that feels like it knows exactly where it wants to navigate itself to with each new scene.

Grint, Watson and especially Radcliffe are simply stunning in their performances. They have grown up with these characters, and have gotten progressively stronger as actors with each new film. But here, they have totally immersed themselves into their roles, and the results are nothing short of magical. They are exactly how you remember them written in the book, and move from sadness, to courageous, to fearful, and more, with such passion and conviction that you forget they are simply acting. Their styles are that strong, and help provide the emotional crux the film leans on and never from.

Even with their varying screen times, the supporting cast is impeccable as always. Alan Rickman is spectacular and simply devastating as the devious Professor Snape. Maggie Smith finally gets some real time to shine as Professor McGonagall, as does Julie Walters as Molly Weasley (who gets the greatest line in the film). Jason Isaacs, Helena Bonham Carter, George Harris, Tom Felton, Michael Gambon and Matthew Lewis also perfect their characters, and help deliver awesome performances all around.

But the supporting screen time is dominated by Fiennes as Voldemort. When Harry and his friends are not the focal point, Fiennes simply owns everyone. His performance always ranked amongst the best of the series, and he does not let the finale slow him down. He is horrifically evil in his interpretation, and frequently compares to his absolutely and terrifyingly brilliant performance as Amon Goeth in Schindler's List. The fear that courses through the characters' veins at the very sight or mention of his name, courses equally through the audience. Even when he is being darkly hilarious, Fiennes is downright petrifying. He is the stuff that nightmares are made of. His work is just that close to perfect in the role that it gives an almost genuine authenticity that should not come so effortlessly.

But like all Harry Potter films however, the cohesive product is not without its faults.

My main gripe with the film come out of the sheer fact that because it was split off into two parts, it allowed some of the more useless and careless sections of prose to make it into the film. Much like the extended and excruciatingly long camping trip from the first half, the second half gets dragged down by the addition of standout moments from the book that felt awful the first time you read them, and come off even worse on the screen. I know they are pandering to the audience, and adding just as much as they possibly could to make the film feel complete, but there was a reason so much was cut out of the other books when they made the leap to the big screen. This is the shortest of the saga by a long shot, and the chaotic pace makes it feel like it could have been even shorter had they chopped more out.

My other gripe is the 3D. The filmmakers said they did not have the right amount of time to convert the first half properly, so they just scrapped the plans. The movie looked amazing anyway, and I found myself puzzled at what exactly would have been three-dimensional about it about the second part. Save for a scene early on involving a rather badly rendered dragon, there is not much else that takes advantage of the added 3D. The majority of the film just looks and acts normal, never exploring the format, and never giving the audience a reason to care or change their minds on the quickly dying trend.

In what feels like a blink of the eye, the Harry Potter film series is over. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 has arrived, and with it, an incredible end to the franchise. It stumbles in some places because of the inane and disappointing prose of the book, but the filmmakers have stayed true to their book and film fans, and delivered a tremendously worthy finale. It is one of the strongest films of the year, and one of the best film finales ever conceived.

8.5/10.

(An extended review also appeared on http://www.geekspeakmagazine.com).
53 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Brilliant ending to a great great franchise.
tanujdua7 July 2011
I quite luckily got the chance to see this at an early screening on July 7th.

First impressions of the film? Brilliant.

Director David Yates, who also directed the 5th, 6th and 7th films is back to direct the final. This pleases me because these 3 films are my personal favourites out of the 7 that have come out so far so I think it's fair to say that I was expecting big things from this. I'm very pleased to say that he's pulled it off ending the series in a fast paced, well written final act.

The film (in case you're wondering) picks up straight after where Part 1 ended, Voldemort (Ralph Finnes) has the most powerful wand in his possession and he's finally ready to succeed in what he tried to do over 15 years ago. He finally has the power to kill Harry Potter. I won't go into much more detail in what happens as most people will have read the book and I don't want to drop spoilers! Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) need to seek out and destroy Voldemort's remaining Horcruxes. This is the only way that will give them a chance of stopping He Who Must Not Be Named.

Their final journey takes them to places we may not have seen recently or remembered, places such as Gringotts Bank in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. Along the way they encounter a variety of creatures, both friend and foe from dragons to spiders, death eaters to old friends and of course, the Dark Lord himself. Will Voldemort Succeed? Or will good trump evil? For those who haven't read the book this is your chance to find out.

What I especially love about this film and Part 1 is the direction in which they've taken, adding more cheesy lines and (for example in Part 1) that dance sequence. I feel that these small touches bring the films closer to our hearts and help us to connect with the film a lot more. Sure they leave out a lot of information that the books provide but that's the same with all film adaptations! They've got the main story down and where they've deviated from the book it has been for the best. Not everything written down on paper will translate into visually appealing footage.

Part 1 to me also felt unfinished (well it was only half the book I suppose!), I mean in the way that it was long and never seemed to climax. Sure at the end of Part 1 Voldemort gets the want he so badly seeks for and leaves then the films ends on a giant cliffhanger. Part 2 definitely adds the rest of that epicness that so many other films have towards the end. It's full of action! I definitely believe that both Part 1 and 2 are best viewed with a short as possible gap in between them. Otherwise it's like watching the first disc from one of the extended editions of The Lord of the Rings and not watching the second disc for another 6 months!

This paragraph is about the visuals and 3D. Skip to the final paragraph for final thoughts.

Visually the film is stunning from an effects point of view. From the trailer alone you can see that this film has quite a lot of action in it, crumbling buildings, hundreds of spells and lots of fire. Everything looks great, from the wand duals to the dragons it all is fantastic. Also this time around it is being showed in 3D and is the first (and (probably) last!) potter film to be shown in this way. Now I was very sceptical about this, especially since they announced that the films (originally both parts) would be converted from 2D to 3D instead of being natively filmed in 3D. I believe that what they should have done was what they did with Part 1, scrap the 3D. I'm going to say that it's not great, at times it's pretty good, but never great. For the most part it's okay. I'm going to compare it with the last blockbuster film to come out in 3D, Transformers: Dark of the Moon. The 3D effect is not even close to looking as good as what that film (shot in 3D) had. So I'm going to tell you now, 2D is the best dimension to watch this film in. Having said that if you still want to (or have to) see it in 3D by all means do, the 3D doesn't take away anything from the film, but it doesn't add much.

I will end by saying that I definitely recommend this film for everyone, especially Potter fans. The ending that many thought could easily be done wrongly has been done right. Then when you think of Part 1 and 2 as the same film I believe that they are easily the best Potter films. This truly is a fitting ending for the boy who lived.
232 out of 399 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Should have done much better, an insult to Rowling and the fans!
LeviticusStroud30 July 2011
There are an awful lot of reviews talking about how this film is 'the best yet' and how it 'ticks all the boxes' or is 'a must for fans'. It is none of these!

7 years ago I walked out of watching the 3rd film cursing and swearing out loud about how poor the conversion of book to film had been done. Scenes dropped and changed for 'time considerations' whilst others were invented and thrust in- all creating plot holes that did not exist in the novel.

This time I walked out praying that I live long enough to see someone take the books and redo the ENTIRE series properly, using the obvious failures done in the films to date as a road map for improvement.

**SPOILERS**

It is, unfortunately, near impossible to give a proper review of this film without including at least some spoilers. Whilst one can make generic statements such as 'divergence from source material is too great', 'plot holes cause a lack of integrity' and 'over editing leads to a lack of connection to the characters' none of it means too much without going into at least a little detail.

Simple things such as not showing the death of Fred, despite having gone into George's injury so well in part 1, or the massively powerful and indestructible Elder Wand being snapped in half with little to no effort whatsoever are good examples. Bellatrix's wand was more durable for god's sake!

Meanwhile, having just spent an entire previous film searching for Horcruxes they suddenly jump from finding one in the form of a cup based on logical deduction to guessing where the next one is on what appears to be a whim. For the sake of taking 90 seconds of screen time to mention that the ring was Slytherin's and the goblet was Hufflepuff's, and it would seem logical for Voldemort's ego to have a desire to stamp his dark magic on a legendary item for each of the 4 founders- therefore Ravenclaw would be a good place to look next- instead Yate's goes and has the characters make a crazy leap of logic for which they need to endanger their lives with no apparent reason behind it whatsoever. This is storytelling of the lowest calibre!

These things aren't just failures to adapt the book correctly when to do so would have been better than making alteration, they are basic failures of storytelling that any student on a film or writing course would have lost marks on if it were an assignment. These plot holes, discontinuities, omissions and alienations are in such great number that if it were an assignment it would, in fact, have been lucky to scrape through with a D as a result!

No doubt we will see the score of this film drop over time as more and more people- particularly on 2nd watching, or seeing it for the first time on an average size TV or ten years from now when special effects technology has moved on- find the imagery far less awe inspiring than the films flaws. At that point the realisation will kick in that this is actually a very poor rendition of the source material that almost any hack director could have put out just as well if not better with the budget and cast/crew available to hand.
18 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good, but lacking the gravitas required to be Great.
Hockeyo9213 July 2011
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II was always going to be big and epic and pompous, all of which it delivers. It was also going to be the movie that ends the Harry Potter series, which is something it struggles with a bit more.

Beginning with a brief flashback of part 1's final shot, the movie picks of exactly were the last ended. It does so though, without ever feeling forced or abrupt, rather letting the first five or ten minutes be conversations (Griphook and Ollivander respectively) before turning the heat on. After that, the movie attacks you with such ferocity you barely breathe until the ending scene.

However, the action is always controlled. This could easily have been destroyed by trying to make it into a classic war movie, but though Yates dips in with plenty of battle scenes, he never goes the full Michael Bay. All in all, you end up feeling they might have shown more, letting a few key deaths happen off screen, but for the all-important PG-rating.

As for following the book, from the start of it keeps the distance needed to make it film able whilst still remaining true to the material. As we near the end of the battle it differs even more, yet still letting the events happen more or less like in the novel, and though it differs most in the climactic showdown, fans of the novel will be delighted to know the epilogue is translated nearly word by word.

The performances are stellar; Maggie Smith shines, as does Matthew Lewis and Radcliff does his best to carry the movie, a feat in which he mostly succeeds. For me though, the standout actors are, of course, Alan Rickman, giving his Snape a whole new dimension, but also, possibly surprising; Cieran Hinds as Aberforth Dumbledore. It isn't a big role, but he portrays it with such charisma and gravitas (especially one fantastic shot) I ended up wondering if he wouldn't have made a better Albus than Gambon. Alas, to late for that now.

Despite this I have only given it a 6. Why? Because it lacks the soul and warmth it should have had. Sure there are scenes (the forest springs to mind at once) that puts pressure on your tear canals, but it isn't enough, there is not a strong enough feeling of conclusion, it just doesn't quite deliver. In the end, it never manages to top the ending from Philosophers Stone.

As a conclusion, it is the same old criticism that has plagued the movie-series – the books were better. And though it is magnificently grand and spectacular, it sadly never really becomes the "Return of the King" it ought to have been.
29 out of 57 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An emotional roller-coaster and the perfect end to constantly better series
MovieGeekBlog9 July 2011
For many fans (and let me get this out now: I am one of them), this is much more than just another film in the franchise: it's the it's the end of an era, or simply the end of a journey which lasted for over 10 years (14 if you count the first book, back in 1997). There are no precedents like this in movie history... There's a certain poignancy that comes with it, because, as we all know, this is the last one EVER. There will not be any other Harry Potter, no matter what. The film clearly knows all that and consciously plays to it, tapping into our deepest-self, reminding us about this journey we've taken and how we've grown up with it. The previously-unknown David Yates has slowly been able to find his own voice with the latest 4 of the 8 instalments, by combining the sense of magic the first 2 films had, the darker tone introduced to us by Afonso Cuaron (with the third episode) but also that more grown-up approach to the story, which has been brewing and growing with each chapter (and book of course), but he also had the courage to actually hack to pieces the overly-written source and actually make a better film (clearly after book 3, no editor would dare to tell JK Rowling to cut anything out). In this last "Deathly Hallow", he was able to basically stretch the final battle over the course of the whole film, making it seem greater and more epic than it's ever been in the book (In the end, box office aside, it really did pay off to split the movie in two parts). Considering the incredible amount of expectations which a film like this can carry and, consequently, the almost impossible task of bringing everything to a close, HP 7.2 does a really good job! Yes, of course there will be some disappointed people, but I think the disappointment will come from the fact that secretly each of us would like this story to go on forever and, no matter what, you can never please everyone. Considering what a massive commercial machine Warner Bros is we must be so thankful for the way the franchise has been handled. Producer David Heyman is obviously a man of heart, who cares for his fans and set out to make the best films he could ever make, playing on the strengths of its (let's be honest) not-so-perfect source and in the end making it an even better product. In the end this film must be judged with that same heart and not so much with the brain, taking in consideration the series as well as this ending. And you know what? My heart can't stop saying "I just loved the journey, thank you so much for it
42 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great to watch but hard to say goodbye
samyaksambuddha23 April 2018
The brilliant series ends with a brilliance. Harry's death at the hands of Voldemort and his coming to life again; the secret about Severus; the bravery of Longbottom; the demise of Fred; the sharpness of mind of Luna and many more to mention. All the knots tied from the first part are opened and what can the viewer want more. Direct encounter between Harry and Voldemort at the end and Harry throwing the Elder wand at the end gives a true meaning as Harry does not run for the quest of power. The lesson given to his son over election to Slytherin is also worth noting. The series ends but with the hope of coming back with another story. Good bye Hogwartz.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Brilliant Farewell*The First Potter Film i actually really liked*
No i didn't love it cause its the last one, but out of all of them i've seen, this is probably the only and the first out of all 8 of them i actually really enjoyed.

The beginning- Bang Bang good!

The Middle- I'm on the edge of my seat!

The End- I jumped out of my seat and screamed, eff yeah!

I in my 2 years of being a Rookie Critic have never done that watching a Harry Potter Film.

Don't let anyone spoil it, it doesn't need anymore to say But just"WOW"!

My first 10 out 10 of all the Harry Potter Movies

It deserves nothing more than at least "Worthy Best Picture nomination"

It may be late at night but heck, this is really rare from me to actually remember a Harry Potter Film.

Farely well to Harry Potter, this outstanding film will be remembered, Sincerely.
25 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3 words: Awful,Awful and Awful!
Film567830 July 2011
I don't think it matters whether you are a fan of the books or not to be able to come to the conclusion that this is the worst Harry Potter film of all and one of the most over-rated films ever! I have not read all of the books which means that I have a fairly unbiased view when watching the films-I'm not expecting the film to follow the books exactly.

This film was awful for several reasons: 1)Lack of dialogue- what's the point in paying the actors millions of pounds for them to say virtually nothing throughout...apart from Harry and frankly I would rather he remained quite throughout because his voice and wimpy demeanour irritate me! 2)Poor action scenes- for example an exchange between Harry and Voldermort- was pathetic. It wasn't an intense duel; it was poorly acted.

3)Wooden acting- for example the romance between Ron and Hermione- you could tell how uncomfortable they felt together! And the ending is incredibly poor- it was too abrupt and didn't connect smoothly to the rest of the film- a rush job I think.

I can't believe this film is expected to gross the most money of all the films. And I can't believe I actually PAID to see it...I would have to be paid to see it again that's for sure! Don't waste your money and time (2hours40mins)on this film even if, like me, you're going to see it just because it's the last ever films- it's the worst of the lot!
24 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Send the series off in style
mcgriff129011 July 2011
When something great comes to a end you can't help, but feel a certain level of sadness. The new millennium has given birth to two of the greatest franchise ( Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings) that cinema has seen since the original Star Wars.Its very rare to witness not only one film masterpiece, but two is just extraordinary. The Harry Potter films contain the best story telling, action, human connection to the audience and bring out the most emotion of the characters I have ever seen in a franchise. Its amazing to see the transition that the Harry Potter films have taken from innocence kid friendly movies, to when our generation matured, so did the films. They became more dark and more developed with intensity of story and character building. This film is fulfilling, sad and satisfying. The factor that has kept these movies looking amazing is the cinematography and effect that have stayed constant through the film through the years. The film has those two elements and more working for it which makes it the best film in the Potter franchise. This franchise has kept it's flame burning strong for 10 years and director David Yates sends this Wizard series away in the best fashion it could achieve. This movie has to be the best out of the 8 films and combined everything that someone would be looking for in a Harry Potter film and also displays everything that fans of the series have been looking for and that the amount of action.I thought that Transformers Dark of the Moon delivered the most action of the summer and I was wrong. Harry Potter gives the audience the most action that a film can contain combined with the highest level of emotion I have ever seen.Deathly Hollows Part 2 contains the most heart, pure emotion and extreme action I have ever seen in cinema since the original Star Wars. The pacing of this film does not let the audience catch their breath when witnessing this masterpiece. Their is so much to see and so much to take in that if you blink you will miss out something great. This movie delivers everything that someone from critics and fans would be looking for in a close out film. All credit in my opinion goes to the director, David Yates, for bringing this kid friendly movie up to speed with the maturity level that the books brought over the course of their time. Yates and all director of the franchise did the best job transforming the JK Rowling book series into box office hits that has been accepted warmly by fans and critic. But by far David Yates has done the best job of pulling emotions out of his cast, making them relateable to the audience and creating a certain tone for the viewer to witness and grasps the gravity that is going on in the closing journey of Harry Potter. He has done the best job of well rounding his movies that they are not only entertaining, but also makes the audience yearn for more Harry Potter films. I also give a lot of credit to the main cast members from Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson and Ralph Fiennes. They all have done a great job of shaping the memories of the famous novel character into visual ones that have made an imprint into the viewers mind and they have done the best jobs that young to old actors can do with this sort of property. They are all equally nice to watch and bring so much passion to the film that the audience cant help, but notice dedication to the movies.It's not only the main characters that show the greatest acting and hear, but also the secondary actors bring a lot to the film and all pleasant to watching. This movie franchise is made it's mark in the world of cinema as one of the greatest series that have ever been viewed and this film wraps the franchise up in the best way possible. This is possibly the best film of the year and of the past 10 years. All good things do come to a end sooner or later and it has been a heck of a journey, and I?M)m glad I was able to experience it.
26 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I think the disappointment will come
mailtomissibaby12 July 2011

34 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Positive end to a Memorable Franchise
alexgrant-4413 July 2011
It has been a long time coming, but the Harry Potter series has come to an end, and on a positive note to boot. I was lucky enough to catch it at a midnight screening, where the atmosphere and anticipation was unbelievably high, as you would expect! Having read all seven books (albeit some time ago) and regardless of me knowing what should be happening while I watched the movie, there were many unexpected moments to savor. Aside from a couple of minor nuances, I left the cinema very pleased that the franchise was given such a wonderful end.

This movie is just about everything a fan of the series could want. A plot that manages to incorporate all major events from the book along with an ever-present haunting tone throughout. Virtually every major and minor character from the novel gets some form of appearance as well. Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Voldermort's (Ralph Fiennes) battle was a little short for my liking, however its intensity made up for a lack of length. In terms of rounding off an adventure, this movie did a solid job.

The movie's intro is short and sweet, throwing you directly into the end of where the first left you, which is great. Pacing is, for the most part, cleverly done. The movie's action sequences are balanced nicely with some more reflective moments. This is where Snape (Alan Rickman) shines. His screen time was actually much less than what I was anticipating, but he makes excellent use of what time he has. You can't help but feel some form of empathy for Rickman's character as his story unfolds. It almost steals the show.

Tone and lighting were done to perfection. We've come a long way from the cheery and very colorful opening films to the gritty and dark ones in the past few years. The darkness continues increasing to an exciting crescendo in this movie. There is again a ridiculously limited color palette to the scenes, but it's appropriate. They've become evident since the third film, The Prisoner of Azkaban. Some don't and won't like it, but it all feels worthwhile now for the climax in this final chapter.

The film is by far not perfect though. The movie felt a tad broken up and rushed in several parts, particularly in some battle scenes towards the conclusion of the film. Sometimes we would be thrown from one place to the next unnecessarily. Some will like the chaotic pacing in these parts, but for me it gave an impression of easiness to the lead trio's task of destroying horcruxes (which the books show it was anything but). It's almost as if they were simple side tasks before the final confrontation, instead of crucial and necessary steps they should have been.

The biggest criticism of the film must lie in its ignorance of any character that happens to not be named Harry Potter. Because of this, many relationships between other characters don't feel developed enough. Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) are constantly distanced from Harry. When you compare the book to the film you almost feel that anything outside of Harry was tacked onto the story line here. The concept of 'good' vs. 'evil' seems to be lost and substituted with 'Harry' vs. 'Voldermort.' People would argue that that's how it should be, but that doesn't do justice to the other characters present. There was nothing more painful though than seeing some people swept aside like they never existed.

But, for almost everyone, the intense build-up to the final encounter between Voldermort and Harry will make up for that. Ralph Fiennes as Voldermort is as menacing as ever playing the pale-skinned antagonist. Notable appearances that deserve a mention include Helena Bonham Carter (as Bellatrix Lestrange) and John Hurt (as Ollivander) with amusing and pensive roles respectively.

The attention to visual details is also amazing. Hogwarts, where majority of the film's setting takes place, changes dramatically as the film goes on. You almost feel trapped within the school with the other characters as the darkness draws nearer. The school, ironically, never felt so alive during this movie. Sound and music were as sharp as any of the previous movies, and contributed to this wonderful mood.

In the end, the film rounds off well. Although I despised it in the book, the final scene, and in particular the final shot of the film, brought a smile to my face. A superb ending to a franchise that's been magical in more ways than one.

7.5/10
25 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They finally got it right!
saarvardi11 July 2011
While never an avid Harry Potter fan, I have watched all eight Harry Potter films on the big screen over the past decade. It's been a long, bumpy ride, with some films stronger than others - mainly the first few (in my own honest opinion). After a while, however, it all felt like the biggest cinematic tease ever. I mean, we've been told about Voldermort ever since the beginning, and we've known all along that the saga will end with this big, epic fight between good and evil... err, I mean Harry vs. Voldermort. However, that never came (except for a few teases here and there), and when the producers decided to postpone the inedible and split the last film into two, it became ever so frustrating.

Thanks god, then, that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 came along to right all the wrongs the previous films have made and to give us the proper closure we've all been waiting for. Finally, after all this time, we get to see the main protagonist for more than a glance. We get resolutions to plot lines that began in parts 6 & 7, Hogwarts makes an awesome comeback for one, final stand between forces between both sides, and there are even some twists and turns that echo all the way back to parts 1 & 2.

So yes, THIS is the Harry Potter we've all been waiting for all along: edgy, dark, more mature and complex than ever before, with solid performances from all involved (especially Ralph Fiennes, who gets some space to play with his character, and that guy that plays Neville Longbottom, who grew up to become quite a man from that mousy little kid he once was). But more so - and unlike any of the other films in the series – HP7b stands as an independent piece (alongside its 2010 counterpart), and doesn't leave the viewer unsatisfied. Here, we get a proper ending, we know this is the Harry Potter to end all 800 or so films that came before, and it seems that the producers knew this and gave it all they could. I only wish they've done this more often during the previous films, instead of saving the best for last.

All in all, this is THE best Harry Potter I've seen from all the eight, and a truly exciting roller coaster of a film, filled with top notch storytelling alongside impressive special effects (even the 3D felt appropriate and relevant). I gave it a very solid 9 out of 10.
16 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Disappointed. Remember Azkaban?
mecandes16 July 2011
I have to say I was really disappointed by the final Harry Potter film. This is the opening weekend, and the reviewers are all raving... and they are all wrong; it's like they saw a different film than I did -- is it because I didn't read the book? I've generally enjoyed the films, but this was far from the best Potter film -- and frankly it leaves me continuing to wonder how this series managed to stay so beloved and highly hyped for so long. Really, this is what it was all building to for all these years?

The kids put on Prisoner of Azkaban this morning; ah, the good 'ol days. That's the film I think of when I think of Harry Potter.
24 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor Adaptation
olli116 July 2011
I was looking forward to seeing the finale of the potter series, as the other films have been quite well presented. The latest 3 movies however have cutout vital bits of the story and the finale is just a joke. The film started off quite fast relative to the book, the whole breaking into Gringots scence was poorly adapted from the book. The final chapters of the book where 100 times better than the final parts of the film. When harry looks through Snape's memories it is way to brief, in the book a lot of emotion was shown as Snape saw the downfall to the relationship to himself and Harry potters mother. The battle between harry and Voldemort was truly disappointing as the director changed the engagement into battle between the two (and other main factors that I will not spoil for people reading this review). The positioning of Hagrid's whereabouts in the film pretty much show how poorly adapted the book was. They didn't even put in the line about Neville becoming a professor at the end.

In conclusion I found the film very disappointing, I don't know why cinemas are showing it in 3D as it barely uses any 3d effects. 4*/10* A huge disappointment.
20 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh my childhood...
nghandi13 June 2021
I was 18 when part 2 came out. I still remember those days reading the book and waiting for this movie to come out. I was watching this movie just now on hbo max and I'm feeling super nostalgic so decided to write this review. One of the best ending to an amazing era. Growing up w all these characters and I kinda wish it didn't end but everything has to come to an end, right? I really hope they would make another movie w all these characters in the future.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best i can give 1k rating...
prabhakushwah20 March 2021
By watching all the parts i can think... I can belief that there is no such movie in any comparison with this movie and all 8 parts....... Waiting for cursed child.... So much
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.