David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet (2020) Poster

Everyone on the Planet should see this. Especially world leaders.
NikolaiDante28 September 2020
David Attenborough has been a part of my life since I first started watching nature programmes when I was a very little boy (I was born 1968)

In nearly 70 years of film making he has pretty much visited every place possible on the planet and travelled millions (literally) of miles to do so.

He has never failed to awe and wow us with the wonders of the planet.

So when SIr David, at the age of 94, makes a new, one off film with the strapline "My witness statement", you have to sit up and take notice.

I decided to see this on it's release date in the cinema, to really immerse myself in the wonders of the world on a big screen.

The film opens with Sir David in the ruins of Chernobyl where he shows the results of ONE stupid, mammoth mistake and then leads into the state of the world today.

SIr David takes you on a journey through his life, showing population levels, CO2 levels and %age of the planet still classed as WILD each time. He presents the facts in his warm caring style but showing a picture of how bad things have got.

STATISTIC : Of all the animal biomass on earth, 60% is estimated to be human livestock, 36% humans and a mere 4% for everything else.

The narration pauses with about 30s of silence and the look on his face says everthing - no acting just a man looking back over the years - brought a lump to my throat.

But after all the doom and gloom he says "This is my witness statement. But it doesn't end there, we can fix this and I'll tell you how"

Fo the second part he talks about all the ways we can, as a world and a species, start to fix things and put them right. But these are not just pie-in-the-sky methods, he talks and shows about how positive change is ALREADY happening. Watch for the examples from the Netherlands & Costa Rica.

He talks about the human population peaking and how we can make this happen sooner by actually IMPROVING people's lives - no draconian fertility laws, just the course of nature.

SO he ends on a positive note - he really believes we can fix this and based on the fact Costa Rica DOUBLED its jungle and forest cover after mass deforestation in just 25 years and when you see how nature has reclaimed Chernobyl it will hearten you too.

The fixes don't require us to deny ourselves but to manage things BETTER and in fact if we do things BETTER we will have even more.

Now we just have to get our politicians, especially the deniers, to wake up and DO SOMETHING.

I honestly believe that anyone who gives this show a negative or neutral review or rating (under 6) either has completely missed the point OR is a denier and there is no hope for them at the moment.

Final thought - Many scientists have said that the lost of biodiversity on the planet at the moment is so great and so rapid that it has to be classed at the 6th Great Extinction Event the planet has suffered in the 4.5 billion year history. Whatever happens, life WILL flourish again, but the question will be, "Will humans be part of it or will we go the way of the dinosaurs?"
235 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is no good reason for anyone not to see this!
thefinal-3823729 September 2020
Unbelievable, I have watched many documentaries over the years on natural history and climate change. But this is the nail in the coffin. The final hurrah. This should be shown in schools and so many more places for education. It's informative and really hits home on the challenges this world faces.
185 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
David Attenborough is one the most important people to ever exist on earth..
entropy_less4 October 2020
'Life on our planet' not only holds the humanity accountable for the nature's destruction but also questions our very model of brazen and impudent consumerism...

And as an Indian, my country seriously needs a birth control law...
162 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Film The World Need To See
griffithsmichael-690904 October 2020
The saddest, yet most hopeful film I've ever seen. This man is not only a national hero, he is an hero for the whole world. Made me cry, but gave me hope. Sir David, your life works will be remembered with the likes of Einstein and Newton someday, you are just as big a genius in your field as they were in their own fields. You are inspiring me to become a better version of myself. Film of the year.
140 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I never give a 10, yet this is a 10!
larslanghalm4 October 2020
Such a legend and he tells his story (and our story) with breathtaking honesty.

We must transition to sustainable energy, raise the global living standard and we must stop our consumption of meat.

It is that simple and concrete.
116 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm 18 years old and this made me determined
harrythewooldridge7 October 2020
I've always known the message this film pushes, I've known its the most crucial thing that currently or has ever existed, I know that people are eager to enable it to happen, but I also know at this rate it never will.

Watching this made me cry. Not because it enlightened me to the reality of the issue but because it reminded me of the barbaric reality that is humanity. I want more than anything in the world for people to work solely on this issue to come as close to a solution as possible, and I Know writing this won't change anything. I'm not writing it for you. I'm writing it for me. From here forward I will be working to become a environmental engineer to perhaps come closer to the solution. and I know I'm just one person but as David Attenborough has demonstrated, as he has influenced me, it only takes one person to change the way another preserves or interacts with the environment creating a chain reaction that might just save what enables not only humans but EVERYTHING to exist.
50 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The greatest movie of all time
dcsarich28 September 2020
Look at the name. Look at the man. The man is the greatest, and no one else can ever compare. Humanity literally peaked with him. The word "legendary" is actually defined as: "Sir David Attenborough". Just do it please.
138 out of 163 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Frightening But Also Beautiful Documentary Movie!
camturk30 September 2020
I went to see this at my local cinema on Monday 28th of September the only day this movie was being shown in theatres (but is getting released on Netflix on October 4th) and it was breath taking, frightening but also beautiful as I knew it would be and more! I seriously wholeheartedly hope most people on this planet will watch this documentary and especially world leaders and government officials! Not to mention this documentary is just Incredibly educating and should be shown in schools eventually. There is zero excuse not to see this movie. ZERO! This is a MUST watch for everyone. Because we all call Earth our home and there is NO Planet B for us! There is NO denying the scientific evidence and vitally Important message this movie gives. If you deny it you are a stupid non intelligent human being who should NOT be allowed to be in charge and make big decisions on anything period! Wild Biodiversity MUST be protected at all costs for the future of humanity on Earth because by protecting it we protect ourselves as well as countless other wild animals and plants that we share this planet with!!! Please watch David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet. I Implore everyone to!
84 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Our legacy
lisadewaal-9810428 September 2020
I just returned from the premiere of David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet, a documentary in which the man himself talks about how he witnessed many drastic changes that happened in our world during a single lifetime. As I was watching it, I often felt the need to look away, even though I knew that I would be closing my eyes to the harsh truth of our planet's decay if I did. My advice? Do not look away from this documentary for a second. It will show you seemingly irreversible damage done to this earth, but give you specific hope that'll make sure not all will be lost. It will show you that everything that has been destroyed can be rebuilt. My personal favorite part is where he shows us that this is not about saving our planet: it's about saving ourselves. Because if humanity perishes due to its own errors, life will start anew anyway. It's all about the legacy we leave behind that will determine whether our species becomes extinct... or gets to live another century to see the world rise from the ashes we created.

All in all, a convincing documentary, not with necessarily lots of new visual content, but rather an incredibly moving, personal story beautifully tied together with video footage and fantastic music.
66 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Self Inflicted Genocide, Holocaust, Mass Murder & Extinction...
Xstal5 October 2020
David Attenborough, one of very few you can hold in as high regard as Gandhi or MLK, calmly and clearly enunciates his experiences throughout his 94 years, bearing witness to the carnage, the chaos and the destruction wrought by the populations of this world on the oceans, the landscapes and all the lifeforms we inhabit and share our planet with. He presents us with a pathway to recovery, a way to repair, to make amends. No histrionics or melodrama, a simple message, of learning a lesson, of reparation and recovery, of sustainability, longevity and perpetuity.

If, like most, it's a story and message you're familiar with, make today the first day of the rest or your life - go for it, start making the changes the future yous need you to make, to save their world, the flora and fauna, from the imminency of self inflicted mass extinction, holocaust, genocide and Armageddon. Make today the day that you decide to change your world and, by doing so, help to re-establish and rebalance the scales of nature that have been so biased and skewed by the sinister and greedy enterprises of fossil fuels, inorganic mammal and poultry production, these manufacturers and machines of chaos - make a difference today, make a difference tomorrow but above all make a difference while you still have the chance to make that difference, and a chance to make that difference count!
66 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hope this gets at least 2 billion views!
rlc_clcr10 November 2020
Masterpiece. If this movie doesn't change our minds and actions nothing will.
15 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see!
charlotteeymael4 October 2020
Really powerfull message for everybody on this planet! This film should be obligated for all the kids and adults. Rewild the world!
58 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Attenborough's hard hitting warning.
pritol1 November 2020
This is David Attenborough most personal and most hard hitting documentary to date!

Rather than focusing on just the natural wonders of the world, the legendary presenter reflects on his career and highlights how the environment and natural world has changed during its course.

The impact of his stern words are heightened when you see the facts that support what he is saying. However at many points whilst what he is saying and explaining is quite frankly horrifying, it's not all doom and gloom.

In his unique way, he outlines some of the routes we can take to reverse the damage mankind doing, and return the natural world to a balanced and abundant position, which is nothing if not motivating / uplifting.

As he mentions, this is his witness statement, and never had a message from someone so important been so needed.

As he explains we have ravaged the natural world with impunity, but in order to save ourselves, we need to address and restore the naturals worlds balance.

Hopefully many people will be as inspired and awakened as I was when watching this.
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the most emotive things you'll ever see - Let's start doing something!
Harry_Gleeson30 October 2020
This will be different from my other reviews, no pros or cons...

You all just HAVE TO SEE THIS.

All I can say is thank god for Sir David Attenborough

Lets start helping future generations, wildlife

Quote - "if we help nature then nature will help us" - Sir David

Rating - 5/5
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Eye opening movie
zwzkkmjmbm1 October 2020
This was a great documentary, with a rich point of view!
46 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It beats me how he can remain optimistic
Lomax3434 October 2020
Possibly the most frightening film I've seen. I have children. I hope, in due course, to have grandchildren. What sort of world will they live in?

Attenborough's message is not new, though coming from him we *have* to believe it. The planet's heading for disaster. And yet he says it's not too late.

That last bit I find hard to believe. Life on Earth, Attenborough says, will survive, in some form or another. Humanity might not.

I wonder if we deserve to?
38 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The saddest but best documentary I've seen...
sophielwilliams25 October 2020
David Attenborough is an absolute hero! He has had an amazing life and it shows through this powerful documentary! If you haven't watched it already... go and do it now! It's very sad but hopeful! Like most people have said on these comments! He really is a legend and he will always be a legend! What an amazing man!
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Must see.
Marco-218-72318225 October 2020
This is my first review, ever. There is no debating this. This is a must see for every capable human being.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's time for change!
alirulesma4 October 2020
Having watched David Attenborough for numerous years and his love for the natural world which has manifested in the form of great documentaries, I must attest his message is extemely important.

Humanity has a choice; to either continue as we are and run ourselves into an unsustainable and bleak future or to make amends now, in the hope that our future generations continue to thrive in a world we have all long enjoyed.

Change doesn't start with educating or influencing governments or politicians, it starts with each one of us. If we all made the effort to make small changes to not only our lifestyle but our mindset then perhaps it is not too late.

Everyone should watch this, and is duty bound to educate our younger generations.
34 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Potentially the best 80 minutes of film I've seen
RedForest42005 October 2020
This film is astonishing. It serves as a greatest hits of Attenborough's career, featuring some of the greatest wilderness shots ever put on camera. It doubles as a powerful statement about the direction we've taken our planet, and examines the choices the human species has to make. I've never felt such awe, sadness and hope in the space of minutes, or sometimes simultaneously. This is Attenborough's most powerful film because it examines the very essence of humanity, and our unbreakable relationship with the world he has spent his life researching. A must watch
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Attenborough's witness statement
mrcoetzee4 October 2020
Any nature fans "must watch"

Calling the film (streaming on Netflix) his "witness statement" for the environment, David Attenborough goes on to trace his more than 60-year career as a naturalist, mapping how steeply the planet's biodiversity has degenerated before him. Global air travel was new when he began his work, and footage of him as a young producer encountering exotic flora and fauna lends a moving, even haunting, note to his plea to restore ecological balance.

We can turn this around.
30 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"This is my witness statement."
jasonkraley10 November 2020
"This film is my witness statement." This opening quote hit me hard, as it should you, if you "enjoy" the rare moment of living on this planet right now... David Attenborough intentionally breaks the fourth wall from his decades of documentaries to record (and express) his emotions, ideas, inspirations, and possible future to help guide us, instead of simply educating us, on what (still) exists on this planet (our shared singular planet) currently in our collective lifetimes. It is not absent of deep emotion, wise reflection, and determined concerns without presenting an archival presentation of what is still possible to pull us all from the brink he had personally witnessed in his lifetime. With a currently living 101 year-old grandfather, this kept my attention and drew my focus to every word of wisdom he had to share (just as I have, personally with my inevitably aging grandfather) whilst still able to share it with us all - with a hope of sharing wisdom behind our own age. These are rare moments to be thankful to be able to listen to our living elders while they are still alive: to relay and share their wisdom. Pure and simple, deep and complex.
80 minutes of emotional rollercoaster
jackrodriguez-387019 November 2020
This movie is depressing yet beautiful at the same time. I really hope humanity choose the right path toward a better sustainable future
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A must see for every human being
paesichevai9 November 2020
Words can't describe how shocking, stunning, amazed and horrified I felt while watching this film. My tears dropped when I saw the earth from outer space, when the blue whale blowing water, and the coral reef turned white. It's an extremely powerful message to us all, from the earth, from the legendary David Attenborough. Remaining Wilderness of 2020: 35%
Important Viewing
Lillium014 November 2020
A must watch. Heart breaking. Encourage everyone you know, young & old to watch this program.