The Boys (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

2,354 Reviews
My Antidote to Marvel and Co.
iGlad26 July 2019
Having being all superheroed out with the never ending train of films this is so much welcome relief. It's not for kids and I love the choice language which is appropriate.
1,716 out of 1,957 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's exactly the opposite of your usual superhero show!
ciobanualin-940206 December 2021
I've had big expectations about this show, because I thought that is going to be exactly that kind of show, in which the good guys (the superheroes) fight the bad guys (the villains) and of course, they win. I couldn't have been more wrong, especially because "The Boys" it's not about a desperate attempt of superheroes to save the world from evil, instead this show takes a much more realistic approach, about what is going to happen if superheroes had really existed.

I'm saying that I had big expectations in the beginning, because I thought that it would be the same usual show with superheroes and villain, that is most likely to find everywhere. In the first couple of episodes I've been a little bit disappointed, or rather shocked, because like I've already said, "The Boys" describes what the MCU never did. Of course, the movies and shows from Marvel are destined to other public's category, but this show is tough. It has all you could not expect from a TV series with superheroes. It has violence, gore, nudity, astonishing CGI effects and a very unpredictable and solid storyline. In the end it seems that this one delivered what I didn't expect it to and I am pleased with that. The show is definitely worth watching.
213 out of 239 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A superior 'Superhero' series
Tweekums22 October 2020
This Amazon series is set in a world where there are superheroes; they aren't typical superheroes though; they work for the powerful Vought Corporation and consider ratings and profit to be more important than saving lives. They are also arrogant, disillusioned or generally unpleasant. The worst of these are 'The Seven', the most senior heroes who are heavily marketed by Vought. Working to expose them is a group known as 'The Boys'; led by Billy Butcher who is convinced that leader of the heroes, Homelander, is responsible for the disappearance of his wife. We are introduced to each group via new members; Hughie Campbell joins The Boys after ultrafast hero A-Train ran through his girlfriend; and Annie January an idealistic young heroine known as Starlight who joins The Seven. Hughie and Annie become friends before learning what the other is doing.

When I first heard of this I thought it was just a case of Amazon jumping on the superhero bandwagon but then heard a radio review which made it sound like a series I might like... it most certainly is! If you like your heroes to be heroic and good rather than self-centred egomaniacs you might not like this but if you like to see conventions turned on their head this is great. Another major difference between this and more typical stories featuring superheroes is that this is definitely not family friendly; there is a lot of strong violence, some sex and nudity and possibly the most swearing I've heard in a TV show. The story develops well over the two seasons that are currently available with some good twists and plenty of interesting character development. The characters on both sides are interesting and the cast does a great job portraying them. While the story can be a bit dark at times it is lightened by its humour; often being genuinely hilarious as we see events that wouldn't seem the most obvious source of laughs. Overall I'd definitely recommend this to older superhero fans who are looking for something different. I can't wait for season three.
100 out of 131 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
About time
nuddywizz1 August 2019
With all these awful shows like supergirl and legends of tomorrow etc..The Boys is the perfect antidote to that insipid moralistic tripe that's spewed our TVs so thank you Amazon Prime for treating us like adults and I can't wait for the second season
435 out of 552 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just... Wow. Dark, funny and gripping.
toxicity-7905426 July 2019
Just finished watching the four first episodes. The pilot has to be one of greatest pilots I've ever seen. It has everything and I was hooked immideately. And it keeps getting better. I didn't know I needed this. It's really bold and a fresh wind for TV.
578 out of 715 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Big things for Homelander
gemfesty28 October 2019
Can't say I recall seeing Anthony Star in any films (and I'm an Aussie) but his performance as Homelander is really something else - someone give him an award. Can't wait for next season, and more projects with Star.
173 out of 230 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unexpected
g-f-dean26 July 2019
Excellent dystopian reimagining for Superhero nerds. Surprising, violent, always twisting. Binge-watched in 2 days! So glad for a second season, though will be so impatient! Thumbs up.
964 out of 1,117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Such a fun show!
Supermanfan-131 August 2022
There's nothing more that I can really say about The Boys that hasn't already been said. It's just a flat out awesome show! It's easily become one of my favorite new shows in years! I binged the entire first two seasons in just a few days when they first came out and rewatched them again for the second time before Season 3 came out. I was expecting a little bit of a drop off for Season 3 because Season 1 and 2 were so great, and there is a little drop in quality but it's still a very good show! It takes everything you loved about Season 1 and 2 (the violence, humor, heart, craziness, character development, etc.) and takes it all to a whole new level! This show has such an original take on the Superhero genre that is both exciting and hilarious! I can not recommend this show enough! Just a warning though...once you start watching it it's hard to stop. Give yourself enough time because you'll want to binge it as quickly as possible!
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ba-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-nannas!
Her-Excellency15 October 2020
EXCELLENT first season.

Incredibly, an even better second season.
105 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a treat!
Leofwine_draca24 April 2022
Review of Season One:

This was a real treat and by far my favourite superhero show. An out-and-out satire of modern America, taking broad swipes at consumerism, celebrity, religion, politics, big business, big pharma, you name it. Very well acted (Karl Urban gets the role of his career) and with every episode packed with twists, good characters, action, bloodshed, you name it. I bingewatch this and loved it.

Review of Season Two:

I was worried this one wouldn't match the first but it did. The story expands, the action and mayhem is ramped up, the new characters leave a real impression, and all of the good stuff from the first season is back. Looking forward to the third...
35 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Reality of superheroes
Badr90s11 September 2021
This show idea got my attention at first but you know what else did? The first scene, episode, season and now it's my fav tv series up to date, season 1 was great we get to know the superheroes (homelander) huray to him he carried the show alongside Butcher & hughie, a shocking ending that made season 2 exceptional in all means especially the third and last episode, can't wait for season 3.
31 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing
krunalpatel1112726 July 2019
This show obviously deserves all the praise.also I think marketing team was slow to advertise this one it such a amazing show everyone should give a chance to this series.
110 out of 192 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's 4am
willfrith26 July 2019
Started watching this brilliant spin on a superhero show after dinner. Now it's 4 am and I have just watched the whole thing.

From the very first episode I was glued to this exciting, interesting and crazy ride.
788 out of 906 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fairly unique
ashwil-6983826 July 2019
Bad superheroes have been done before, but not like this. Very entertaining.
288 out of 405 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Super Series
scorpionfangpire30 July 2019
When I first heard of 'The Boys', I thought it would be your standard superhero series, but when I actually watched it, I discovered I was dead wrong. After 15 minutes of the first episode, it was impossible to stop watching. It was a more believable take on what the world would look like if superheroes were flying around today, with characters that were unforgettably unique. There were times when I thought that the 'good guys' were the 'bad guys', and times when I thought the 'bad guys' were the 'good guys'. But in the end, I found that there weren't any 'all-good' or 'all-bad' characters, but 'all-human' characters, sometimes with more-than-human abilities. It's a super series, definitely worth your time.
202 out of 277 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If Superheroes Are Real
krisnadexter31 July 2021
I think this series is the best to portray if there are real people with superpower in real live. It has darker theme than DC yet still funny like Marvel movies.

The first season is 10/10 for me. Yes the second season isn't as good, but still great. In the second season they reveal more secrets that was kept in first season. So in a way it feels slower. And there's some unnecessary plot, but maybe if they will make third season there's an explanation for this.

And I think people misunderstood the second season. They complaint about the series were forcing SJW agenda. Or forced LGBT theme, white power, etc. They missed the point. This series is actually exposing about how things work. It's all about money.

Here we see Superheroes, but they were just a pawn for big company. They don't care who you are, what your feeling, what your sex reference as long as you make money for them.

I just wondering what will they bring again if this series get third season. Because almost all major problem are solved. I hope they will be as good.
18 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Agree
jack_o_hasanov_imdb9 August 2021
Glad I decided to watch it.

It's beautiful, and indeed, if humans had superpowers, something like this would happen.
28 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitly one of the best series this year
juliankammueller26 July 2019
First it's just a very interesting take on the whole superhero genre. But there's also a lot more. Great actors, great storyline and very nice picture. I guess for me it's the best superhero series yet, followed by Titans and Umbrella Academy.
724 out of 875 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A show catered specifically for me :)
FeastMode7 January 2020
Season 1: 10 stars (3 viewings, 1/5/20, 9/2/2020, 5/22/2022)

I love this show a lot. I treasure the concept. The characters are fantastic. The humor is extreme. The cast is awesome. NUMEROUS memorable moments. Multiple great emotional moments. Several uncomfortably intense scenes. "Adore" really is the best way to describe how I feel about this show. Its only flaw is that the fight scenes are bad with lots of quick cuts and shaky-cam close-ups.

Season 2: 10 stars (2 viewings, 10/9/2020, 5/29/2022)

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Everyone involved in making this show, you are so amazing, I love you all. Keep up the good work, and THANK YOU.

Season 3: 10 stars (2 viewings, 7/7/2022, 7/19/2022)

I don't even know what to say. No point in listing out what I like. It's everything. It has 2 of my all-time favorite episodes (episodes 2 and 6). Best first 3 seasons of any show ever. Again, THANK YOU.
29 out of 50 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of, if not the best TV series of the year
jtags-8405928 July 2019
Was not expecting this to be this good. After being disappointed time and time again by some of the new series coming out in 2019 I had pretty much given up on there being anything good this year. This TV series was just outstanding. There seems to be a theme of bad superheroes e.g Brightburn but this was done way better than Brightburn. Cast was great and acting was top notch and the plot and storyline, twist and turns was outstanding. I was going to give it a 9 but I think it should be more a 9.5 so rounded up. Definitely worth the binge.
83 out of 146 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly original and entertaining
grantss17 November 2020
(Review updated after Season 3).

Hughie Campbell's life is turned upside down when the love of his life is accidentally killed by a superhero, a member of The Seven, the most elite and adored of superhero teams. The Seven are the rock stars of the age and untouchable but the more Hughie investigates, the more he discovers they're far from perfect. His moral crusade sees him drawn into a band of anti-superhero vigilantes: The Boys.

I'm generally not into superhero movies or series but this is different. Here the superheroes are more the villains than the heroes, making for a very interesting and original take on the genre. Throw in some very intriguing sub-plots involving the superheroes' private lives, the politics of their jobs and machinations within their team plus some profound observations and themes involving the (forced) superficiality of public figures, the intrusiveness and control of the media and the influence of social media status and you have a series that is original, entertaining and a mirror of the times.

Action scenes are well done, with some great CGI and graphic grittiness - this is definitely not Disney! While mostly a drama there's some wonderfully funny moments too. Just about anything involving The Deep was always bound to raise a laugh.

Not perfect though. The central plot - The Boys vs the superheroes - often appears clumsy and seems to go around in circles. It starts well enough but after a point, towards the end of Season 1, it just seems to get bogged down in endless escapades that have no point and occur based on the flimsiest of excuses. Plus these escapades often got resolved in silly, plot hole-riddled ways.

The writers would have done better to initially concentrate on the internal machinations within The Seven with the superheroes vs The Boys plot starting as a sideshow and then amping it up as the series went on.

Things do come together quite well in Season 3 though as the plot finds its focus. Season 3 is action-packed and intriguing with some great internal machinations within the superhero camp and a very interesting new character. It was heading for a fantastic showdown but the writers fluffed this somewhat in an effort to prolong the series. The final episode of S3 is a bit confusing and disappointing.

All in all, it's highly entertaining viewing.

Season ratings: S1&2 8/10, S3 9/10.
22 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm All In
view_and_review3 November 2020
A no-holds-barred show about superheroes who are superjerks who work for a soulless mega-corporation. And a small band of normal individuals set on taking down the superheroes and/or their employer, Vought. It's crazy, it's insane, it's fantastic.

I do have a love hate relationship with the show, but you have to have a significantly hateable antagonist to have a rooting interest. For me, there are/were two very loathsome antagonists, a few unlikeable characters (both good guys and bad), and a few very likeable characters. It's a good balance, there's something for everyone.
25 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stop all other crapy super hero TV series and put all the money to this
trevorguru29 March 2020
I don't care amazon or netflix buy this over. But make more of this soon, can't wait,, can't watch all other crapy super hero series, that you predict miles away. This is entertaining and much more realistic and oh my god the acting and the dialogs are awesome.. Butcher you are super.
67 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is great!!
milart-0858122 August 2021
I was not expecting this at all! This series is a wonderful twist on the superhero cliche. The "villain" is very well written, and all the characters are very complicated and interesting. And the effects are very very very good and kind of disturbing. It also is like very funny!

I totally recommend this series and everyone who can handle the harsh comedy and disgusting visuals should absolutely watch it!!
20 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
ahmedgorshy1 July 2020
I do a few days from now until September. If you read this review after witnessing the second season, I know that my expectations are very high for him, it will be one of the best seasons, and if I hit my expectations, all you have to do is like
37 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.