The Boys (TV Series 2019– ) Poster

(2019– )

2,187 Reviews
A superior 'Superhero' series
Tweekums22 October 2020
This Amazon series is set in a world where there are superheroes; they aren't typical superheroes though; they work for the powerful Vought Corporation and consider ratings and profit to be more important than saving lives. They are also arrogant, disillusioned or generally unpleasant. The worst of these are 'The Seven', the most senior heroes who are heavily marketed by Vought. Working to expose them is a group known as 'The Boys'; led by Billy Butcher who is convinced that leader of the heroes, Homelander, is responsible for the disappearance of his wife. We are introduced to each group via new members; Hughie Campbell joins The Boys after ultrafast hero A-Train ran through his girlfriend; and Annie January an idealistic young heroine known as Starlight who joins The Seven. Hughie and Annie become friends before learning what the other is doing.

When I first heard of this I thought it was just a case of Amazon jumping on the superhero bandwagon but then heard a radio review which made it sound like a series I might like... it most certainly is! If you like your heroes to be heroic and good rather than self-centred egomaniacs you might not like this but if you like to see conventions turned on their head this is great. Another major difference between this and more typical stories featuring superheroes is that this is definitely not family friendly; there is a lot of strong violence, some sex and nudity and possibly the most swearing I've heard in a TV show. The story develops well over the two seasons that are currently available with some good twists and plenty of interesting character development. The characters on both sides are interesting and the cast does a great job portraying them. While the story can be a bit dark at times it is lightened by its humour; often being genuinely hilarious as we see events that wouldn't seem the most obvious source of laughs. Overall I'd definitely recommend this to older superhero fans who are looking for something different. I can't wait for season three.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Highly original and entertaining
grantss17 November 2020
(Reviewed after Season 2).

Hughie Campbell's life is turned upside down when the love of his life is accidentally killed by a superhero, a member of The Seven, the most elite and adored of superhero teams. The Seven are the rock stars of the age and untouchable but the more Hughie investigates, the more he discovers they're far from perfect. His moral crusade sees him drawn into a band of anti-superhero vigilantes: The Boys.

I'm generally not into superhero movies or series but this is different. Here the superheroes are more the villains than the heroes, making for a very interesting and original take on the genre. Throw in some very intriguing sub-plots involving the superheroes' private lives, the politics of their jobs and machinations within their team plus some profound observations and themes involving the (forced) superficiality of public figures, the intrusiveness and control of the media and the influence of social media status and you have a series that is original, entertaining and a mirror of the times.

Action scenes are well done, with some great CGI and graphic grittiness - this is definitely not Disney! While mostly a drama there's some wonderfully funny moments too. Just about anything involving The Deep was always bound to raise a laugh.

Not perfect though. The central plot - The Boys vs the superheroes - often appears clumsy and seems to go around in circles. It starts well enough but after a point, towards the end of Season 1, it just seems to get bogged down in endless escapades that have no point and occur based on the flimsiest of excuses. Plus these escapades often got resolved in silly, plot hole-riddled ways.

The writers would have done better to initially concentrate on the internal machinations within The Seven with the superheroes vs The Boys plot starting as a sideshow and then amping it up as the series went on.

This said, despite some of the clumsiness of the main plot, the different strands of the plot do fit together quite seamlessly. All in all, it's highly entertaining viewing.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong meat, but excellent
neil-4763 January 2021
Hugh Campbell, bereaved after his girlfriend is carelessly shredded by "superhero" speedster A-Train, falls in with Billy Butcher who regards it as his role in life to hold superheroes, and their mentoring organisation Vought, accountable for their actions.

I have just binged series 1 and 2. I am a long-time fan of Garth Ennis' savagely deconstructionist comic, on which this TV series is based. I am self-aware enough to recognise that part of my enjoyment comes from its base appeal - the sex, bad language, disgusting behaviour and extreme violence are all part of the appeal, although the genuine humanity, compassion, and emotional heart are equally important.

The TV series captures all this. The broad story arc remains the same although much of the detail differs significantly enough that you never know what's coming next, which keeps the series fresh. All the cast members are excellent. Karl Urban enjoys playing Butcher, whose outward good humour covers seething anger. But towering over everything is Antony Starr's Homelander, a Superman equivalent whose square-jawed posturing disappears the minute the cameras are turned off, to be replaced by an arrogant disregard for everyone else. The power of Starr's performance derives from the fact that he also makes us see a damaged and partly sympathetic child within the monster.

Beware - this is not a superhero series for children. The sex is frank, the violence is graphic, and the language is eye-wateringly foul and constant.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I'm All In
view_and_review3 November 2020
A no-holds-barred show about superheroes who are superjerks who work for a soulless mega-corporation. And a small band of normal individuals set on taking down the superheroes and/or their employer, Vought. It's crazy, it's insane, it's fantastic.

I do have a love hate relationship with the show, but you have to have a significantly hateable antagonist to have a rooting interest. For me, there are/were two very loathsome antagonists, a few unlikeable characters (both good guys and bad), and a few very likeable characters. It's a good balance, there's something for everyone.
9 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Watch Out for The Boys
thesar-24 August 2019
Oh, WOW. Just finished THE BOYS, Season 1. While it's not perfect, it's thoroughly interesting, funny in a dark way, original by means of DC-lore & I'd say: Yo, Joe! and contains full frontal male nudity...in a comic book show. Yeah, I'm on board. Everyone was great, but gotta give it up for the always impressive, deep and fun Elisabeth Shue. Still not sure why it's called "The Boys," but I am completely stoked for Season 2. I mean...you kinda have to be with how this ended. Cheers, mate!
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well done in its glum way
cherold3 September 2019
The Boys seems like the perfect superhero series for an era in which trust in institutions is dying. In this series, our protectors are only pretending to be heroes as they live lives of casual corruption and a disdain for their fellow men.

The first episode of The Boys begins with a horrific, superhero-caused tragedy that is so ingeniously shot that I admired it even as I knew I would have trouble shaking it. Certainly one of the most disturbing things I've seen for a while, but I will acknowledge that the premise requires some horror.

That premise is that the most famous Superheroes, a group known as the Seven, is made up of psychopaths supported by a vast conglomerate that relies on merchandising and media. These superheroes mix the arrogance of celebrity with the monstrousness of unchecked power, but a small group of normal people are determined to bring them down for past crimes.

The one good superhero is Starlight, who looks like an Iowa beauty queen and has always dreamed of saving the world. She wins a role as one of the Seven and finds herself in a pit of snakes. She is harassed and objectified, but is too caught up her dream of doing good to walk away.

The series has a gritty, sour quality to it that made me uncomfortable. It's just such an awful world and even the human heroes are not necessarily the best of people. Starlight's degradation is disheartening, and Hugh's tragedy is heartbreaking and relentless.

What I'm saying is, as Superhero series go, this one isn't a lot of fun.

There are some clever visual ideas, an interesting plot, and good actors. But I couldn't get into it. The first episode is overshadowed by the opening tragedy. The second episode was better, although still dark and disturbing. By the third episode the unpleasantness became too much for me and I stopped halfway through.

I'm not saying don't watch it. I might have liked this series when I was younger and more open to grim experiences. But it's not the series for me.

(Funny thing; one of the other user reviews says the series starts slow but gets really good around episode 5. Someone else said the series started strong but was terrible by episode 5. So go figure on that one!)
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
a show catered specifically for me :)
FeastMode7 January 2020
Season 1: 10/10 (2 viewings, 1/5/20, 9/2/2020) i love this show a lot. i adore the concept. the characters are fantastic. the humor is extreme. the cast is awesome. NUMEROUS memorable moments. multiple great emotional moments. several uncomfortably intense scenes. "adore" really is the best way to describe how i feel about this show. my only flaws with it are that the fight scenes were bad with lots of quick cut and shaky cam close ups.

Season 2: 10/10 (1 viewing, 10/9/2020) thank you. thank you. thank you. thank you. thank you. thank you. thank you. everyone involved in making this show, you are so amazing, i love you all. keep up the good work, and THANK YOU.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interesting take on the superhero phenomenon, if not making the most of itself
STAR RATING: ***** Saturday Night **** Friday Night *** Friday Morning ** Sunday Night * Monday Morning

SEASON ONE

In a world where the identities of prominent superheroes are known to the public, with their own marketing teams and PR representatives, behind the scenes many are not as scrupulous and heroic as they portray themselves to be. Homelander (Antony Starr) tries to portray himself as a virtuous Captain America type, but is arrogant and immoral behind the scenes, with more than a few dark skeletons in his closet. The brash A-Train (Jessie T. Usher) is reckless and ends up killing the girlfriend of young Hughie Campbell (Jack Quaid) right after he proposes to her. This sets him on a course for revenge, when he teams up with the gruff Australian Billy Butcher (Karl Urban) who has his own score to settle. Meanwhile, the young, beautiful Annie January/Starlight (Erin Moriarty) becomes disillusioned at the murky world the people she looked up to inhabit.

The superhero craze, which began in the early 00s and shows no signs of letting up, has morphed from something aimed at the pre-teen crowd, to something grown adults have come to have a subversive fondness for, intent on exploring the deep, dark inner turmoil of the tortured heroes, or what they serve as some kind of subliminal metaphor for, blah blah blah...And so we have this part light hearted, part dark and brooding Amazon Prime series, that takes a wildly counter cultural approach to the genre.

Regarding the aforementioned grown adult superhero love in, of all those blamed for this trend, British actor Simon Pegg is one of those whose name most frequently pops up to get the blame, so it's fitting here that he has a supporting role as the unfortunate Hughie's dad. But he's largely forgotten in the background, leaving us with the lead stars to really carry the thing. Starr has charisma and presence as Homelander, matched by Urban's dark, brooding turn as the man who's eventually revealed as his nemesis. Usher is really the token black role as the immoral A-Train, while Moriarty is a quiet revelation as the innocent, unassuming Annie/Starlight, with an alluring beauty that does her no problems.

It's an original and clever idea, that's biggest problem is that it is just never as engaging, effective or funny as it could be. But it's certainly got buckets of potential, and if this series doesn't really blow your socks off, there's loads of hope for Season Two. ***
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What if Superman were George W. Bush?
Cineanalyst21 August 2019
Whereas a perhaps-once-intriguing war of comic-book superhero franchises has consumed the cinematic universe for over a decade now and has since seemed increasingly one-sided with the dominance of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as similar endeavors have tended to flounder (e.g. the Dark Universe), begun to largely imitate the MCU formula (see the last three DCEU pictures as of this writing), or simply been swallowed whole into the MCU body (i.e. Spiderman and, presumably and inevitably, the properties of 20th Century Fox acquired by Disney), the caped crusaders' battle is only beginning amidst the streaming wars. Netflix has abandoned the Marvel properties for "The Umbrella Academy," HBO is soon to be continuing the "Watchmen" series, and Disney, of course, plans to stream much of the same that they've released in theatres. And that's not even to mention all of the stuff that is already on traditional television channels and one assumes may continue on streaming services. Then, there's this, Amazon Prime's "The Boys." Thus far, I think it's easily the most interesting of the bunch.

For me, that's because it's a satire on real-world politics more so than most superhero movies. The closest antecedent may be "Watchmen," the 2009 movie, based on the same universe for which the HBO show will be expanding from. That picture featured a dystopian 1985 where geopolitics is seemingly arrested by the existence of superheroes in the Cold War tensions of the late 1960s and early 1970s--complete with Richard Nixon running for a fourth term as President. "The Boys" does something similar with the War on Terror of George W. Bush's administration entering the age of MeToo.

Additionally, "The Boys" is a parody of the DC comics. Therefore, there's a twisted version of the Justice League called "The Seven": an Aquaman who's a sexual harrasser; a Flash who abuses performance-enhancing drugs; a rancorous, closet-lesbian Wonder Woman; a perverted invisible Martian Manhunter; a Batman who merely silently broods in his Darth Vader outfit and looks so dark that his name is redundantly "Black Noir;" and, most horrifically, a sociopathic Superman, named "Homelander," of all things, who has a mommy fetish and who drapes himself in the flag enough to make Captain America blush. The Seven's Green Lantern type, however, has retired--one may guess because the movie with Ryan Reynolds was just that bad, and so if even the DCEU has yet to embrace the character, why would this show--and been replaced by a blonde ingénue whose powers revolve around sparkling... seriously.

Appropriately enough, the Seven are managed by a corporation (Vought) that's looking to convince Congress to allow the supes to be a private-military force, as opposed to the domestic policing (which is largely staged) they're restricted to currently, in addition to their movies and merchandising that faithfully mirrors our real world. This is reminiscent of the reliance upon private military contractors during the Iraq War, and further developments in the series allude not only to the War on Terror, but more pointedly to the geopolitical order as it originated during the Bush presidency after 9/11. Indeed, there's a passenger plane hijacked by Eastern terrorists. Despite forewarning intelligence, Homelander, like President Bush afore, fails to prevent disaster. Not allowing it to go to waste in his eyes, though, Homelander cribs Bush's bullhorn address at Ground Zero--promising to take the fight to Terror and, presumably, overseas. This includes the development of the Department of Homeland Security, of which Homelander seems to be an entity upon himself here. Moreover, recalling America's past of arming Afghanistan and others during the Cold War, the terrorists in "The Boys" are in part a product of the past actions of Vought, intentional or not--perpetuating an escalating cycle of war.

If the connection between Homelander and Vought to the Bush administration, as well as to Superman, weren't clear enough, there's also the Jesus nexus. Scenes of the Christian concert largely focus on the homophobia and suspected Crusade-echoing efforts to proselytize for which Bush's faith-based agenda was criticized. After all, this was a president who talked of a "crusade" against Islamists and ran for re-election on a platform of banning gay marriage by constitutional amendment. For the show's event, the headliner is Homelander, who while preaching to his base floats over the audience with arms outstretched in a crucifixion pose. The same figure, mind you, that we've seen Superman adopt repeatedly in film, from the 1978 iteration, to definitely "Superman Returns" (2006), to, as obviously, the DCEU. This Jesus appeal, coupled with his patriotic bromides, is what makes Homelander, like Superman, Captain America and Bush before him, such an effective spokesman and, in this case at least, since he's amoral with god-like powers, also such a frightening figure. Laser eyes instead of cruise missiles.

Not surprisingly, the original comics for which this series is based were written during the Bush administration, and the series began under the DC banner before being dropped by them. I haven't read them, but I would guess that the part of the storyline where Starlight gives a public account of her abuse by the fish man was added for the Amazon Prime series, which of course exists during today's MeToo movement.

This political commentary and comic-book parody is enough to recommend "The Boys," but much of its eight episodes are also spent on the normal human characters, including the gang of heroes out to uncover the supes' conspiracy. As imperfect as these humans are, they remain exceedingly dull. There's even a boilerplate on-again-off-again relationship between a supe and a normie at the center of the show. As these streaming web shows are essentially an extension of TV programs, there's also a lot of repetitive talking and not much action--despite the superhero premise. I suppose not enough money is spent and talent bought still to replicate the visual virtuosity seen in theatrically-released superhero fare. There's nothing even as ambitious here as the adoption of long-take fight sequences in Netflix's "Daredevil."

Those qualms aside, "The Boys" contains enough to mostly hold interest for at least one season. The MCU-type foreshadowing stuff, what with the fly business (presumably, the ugly buddy of Ant-Man and the Wasp) or the mystery of whom to Darth Batman is secretly related, neither of which are answered in the inaugural eight-or-so hours, doesn't intrigue me. But, with a world occupied by many more superheroes than just the Seven, I suppose there could be plenty of comic-book fodder left to mock, and there's surely plenty of politics left to reflect. Among the minor supporting characters here, there's already a female Wolverine who also gets jacked on drugs, too, and a stretchy guy who hypocritically preaches to "pray the gay away" while secretly indulging in fantastic four-ways, so watch out Disney and Marvel; they're after you.
6 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Agree
jack_o_hasanov_imdb9 August 2021
Glad I decided to watch it.

It's beautiful, and indeed, if humans had superpowers, something like this would happen.
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"See, people love that cozy feeling that Supes (superheroes) give them. Some golden c**t to swoop out of the sky and save the day so you don't got to do it yourself."
Bored_Dragon20 April 2021
There are several hundred people in America with supernatural powers, led by The Seven, a team of the seven most famous, who operate under the powerful and all-pervading corporation Vought. The official purpose of this corporation is to take care of superheroes and perform logistical work related to their heroic deeds, but the corporation as a corporation is concerned primarily with profit, and the lives of their Supes are reduced primarily to PR and marketing, commercials, and superhero movies. And when, here and there, they set aside some time to fight crime and terrorism, "Vought" is there to cover up the collateral damage. However, some people refuse to accept that they are collateral damage, so they organize into a guerrilla unit, a kind of resistance movement, with the goal of exposing the true faces of selfish and arrogant superheroes and overthrowing the all-powerful corporation that has risen above of the law.

In essence, "The Boys" is a satire of the corporate system and society in which the individual is nothing and the flow of money is everything, presented in the form of a parody of the superhero genre and its rising popularity. Genre-wise, the series is a black-humored action thriller, explicitly vulgar, violent, and bloody. Over-the-top gorefest, spiced with just enough drama and romance to give it an emotional note and allow us to connect with the characters. Superheroes are diverse and I think there is a counterpart in the DC and Marvel universes for each of them. The parallels are obvious enough for an effective parody, and they differ just enough that the series does not risk a copyright lawsuit. Consistent with this, the other, non-superhero characters are clichéd, but they have a good enough characterization to be convincing and enough originality and variety not to be boring.

Karl Urban plays Billy Butcher, a seemingly intimidating, ruthless, cold-blooded vigilante who will not rest until the last superhero is dead. But when you get to know him a little better, his hard face, with a combination of macho attitude and British accent, will quickly charm you. Jack Quaid plays a nerd who does not know what hit him. Here we have someone to identify with, and to show us that each of us, no matter how we feel insignificant, can make a difference if his heart is in the right place. There's also Frenchie, my favorite character in the series. Israeli actor Tomer Capon, with a perfect fake French accent, plays a charming expert in weapons, drugs, and improvisation and, as he says himself, "the troubled teenager of the group".

The series is full of various characters, and I didn't list even the leading ones. I stayed on these three because they left the strongest impression on me. It's up to you to see the show and maybe get attached to some completely different ones. I believe that there is something for everyone. It's not a masterpiece of television and may not even enter the top 100 TV series in terms of quality, but for those who, like me, have long been tired of movies that cover up shallowness with special effects and visual spectacle, "The Boys" brings more than a touch of freshness to the superhero genre.

8/10.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dark masterpiece
UniqueParticle20 August 2019
One of the coolest anti hero series ever! Beautifully filmed especially in 4K and entirely well acted! So much fun, brutal, epic soundtrack, and very intriguing throughout; I'd recommend this to anyone! Easily top best shows to me!
9 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh Boy. The hobby has fallen.
John6Daniels14 September 2020
I use to be obsessed with the superogenre starting in 2009.

I watched most old and new superhero shows, cartoons, movies and etc. I was neck deep in superheroes.

Superheroes genre was once felt like it was made for superhero geeks.

Then something happened. Superhero genre exploded with cartoons live action and movies. Every corporate network and production was producing and investing in superheroes whether DC, Marvel or others. This overwhelmed me. Superheroes became dark, liberal, fan service and for the general audience.

The Boys with my 2020 vision is overwhelming because it seems cliché. I've been here before. I've seen it. It's overdone.

I don't think cliché is entirely the problem. It's forcing so many superhero products all at once where you either lose interest, can't keep up and or just don't care anymore because you already know what is going to happen.

The Boys is nothing special. It's a soap opera. A super opera. Same old super drama.

Like every show it will start great and then end bad.

Verdict: As of 2020 if you have seen 1 superhero show. You've seen it all. Pass. There is no point in watching this redundant hash.
13 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 2 may be less superior than the first but delivers more on the wild action.
cruise0120 October 2020
Season 2 (4 out of 5 stars.)

The Boys 2 continues with a little wild, crazy, and bloody adventure with the characters as they try to stop the supes from taking over. The first half was a little slow moving and boring. It picks up with Stormfronts agenda being revealed. It is a lot of fun. Great cast. Bloody and violent. The climax has some surprises and exciting moments. While leaving more room for another season.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good Enough
pennyelenabooks15 September 2019
The boys was a nice treat. The story line is solid, the action scenes quite well directed, the blood and mature scenes just enough to keep it interesting. The acting was great as well. It was actually a nice, refreshing and more realistic view on the super hero crazy, with some boku no hero acedemia vibes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacking from the original story
digitalbeachbum27 July 2019
After finishing the second season I can honestly say I'm officially done with this production. They have changed too much from the original story and lost the perversion of power that was originally meant to show that humans, even if they are "supes", are corrupted if left unchecked.

The original comic was an attempt to show the reader that in today's society, we have "supes" who think they are better than everyone else. These people make decisions for the common people but they don't do it for the common good of the people, but rather to improve their own lives and to make personal gains.

While Homelander is perverted and abuses his powers, he's actually a piss poor interpretation of the original character. Homefront/Liberty comes close but even she lacks the absurdity presented in the original story.

Too many characters moved, added, subtracted or manipulated in a way that they are no longer the original character. Scenes changed, moved, added and subtracted along with removing or adding characters which weren't there in the first place.

You are far better off going to Wikipedia and reading the original stories and then reading the original character narratives. The original story is extremely absurd and perverted interpretation of human nature.

There are other things I dislike, but of the things I liked was the special effects. I liked the casting of the characters. I did not like the direction and I reject the writing. The Boys is a missed opportunity to take a work of art and project it on to the screen.

Like me, others have noticed that there are 10 and 9 rankings which are duplicates and one person pointed out that key words are used repeatedly in the reviews. That's marketing for ya.
79 out of 248 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An Honest Review
generationofswine28 July 2019
At least it has Simon Pegg in it, who Hugh was based on. And I kind of can't picture the show without his involvement.

It's not as Garth Ennis as I think it should be, it's not as vulgar and offensive and fun as he usually is, and certainly as The Boys was in print... but it comes really close to making that mark, and that is a breath of fresh air given the way that both comic books, and the movies they are based on are going.

Ultimately, it's still vulgar, offensive, bloody and funny, even if it could have been more.

And it's only 8 episodes, which seems a lot like they aren't trying to drag the story out just to add more, and that is also refreshing.

Ultimately, it's a cure for modern comics in a very late 90s British Invasion kind of way
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Fantastic Unique Superhero Show
alindsay-al31 August 2020
The second season of The Boys hits Amazon this Friday so I decided I had to watch the first season of the show and now I have and here is my review for it. The premise of the season sees a group of vigilantes attempt to take down a group of superheroes who abuse their powers.

Main Character Karl Urban is a great actor and he plays the main character here and he is fantastic. He is the leader of The Boys and he has a grudge against people with superpowers and the show does a great job of telling you enough about him without spilling all the beans straight away. Also he is so charming and charismatic, when he is on screen he owns it and is honestly so great and a ton of fun to watch. Anthony Starr plays Homelander, the leader of the superheroes and he is amazing here, imagine Superman who didn't grow up on Kansas and has some mental issues and you get Homelander. Again he owns the screen and he fits this role perfectly, he is so interesting and I can't see how anybody else could ever play the role.

Supporting Characters Jack Quaid playing Hughie and Erin Moriarty as Starlight are the new members of their respective groups and I thought they worked well. You can tell how they want to be accepted into the two groups even though they have some ideological issues with them. They have good chemistry together also and I thought they were a nice part of the show, especially when this show deals with very mature topics. The rest of the members of the superheroes and boys are really interesting, I don't want to get into the characters too much as finding out stuff about them is one of the best things here.

Story The story is great, in shows or films that deal with opposing sides,the better ones attempt to show the motivations of both sides and balance them and I thought this show did that really well. The characters are interesting and the depth to them is what makes them so fascinating. Also the way that the show portrays the superheroes is great as in pop culture they are such a huge part of society and the way they are presented is so interesting. However, literally my only crticism for this show is that there are a few characters that have individual story arcs and they don't really flow that well with the rest of the show and actually disappear at a point, which makes you question why it was there, though the ending bit of the season is amazing.

Script The script is really good, the dialogue just feels really quick and natural to these characters. Urban in particular comes up with some amazing lines and it makes him so entertaining to watch. This show is funny but in terms of dark comedy, so if that is up your street then this is a show for you. Also the drama is great, it hits when it needs to and adds so much intensity and conflict.

Style The style is brilliant, this show is brutal. The action scenes are so intense and yeah a lot of people die here and usually in pretty hardcore ways that are totally gruesome. It is so fun watching these normal guys go against basically gods and it actually comes across as pretty believable. The show has 8 episodes and it flows really nicely and is paced really well making this an easy and fun watch.

Overall Overall, this is a fantastic show. If you are having superhero fatigue then this is a show you must watch as it does some really unique things, that will keep you watching. If you have access to Amazon Prime then make sure you watch this show as it is definitely a must watch.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Great Second Season
alindsay-al10 October 2020
So with The Boys controversially releasing the second season in weekly episodes it has taken longer to watch then the first season, but I have now finished the 2nd season of the show and here is my review for it. The premise of the season sees after the death of Madelyn Stillwell The Boys are now being hunted down by the law and Vought, while Starlight and Homelander have to deal with a new member of The Seven called Stormfront.

Main Character Karl Urban as Billy Butcher has easily been one of his best roles ever and he continues to shine here. He maybe doesn't have the stand out moments from the first season but the core of the character is still there, the charisma, the charm and the roughness is back with plenty of action and it allows Urban just to have so much fun with the role and it very clearly translates to screen. When I heard there would be a new villain for the second season, I was worried as Homelander played by Anthony Starr is fantastic and I didn't want his role to get reduced, but luckily this doesn't happen and Starr absolutely nails it. Homelander isn't just the most complex character on The Boys but he is probably one of the most complex character's in the whole of Television and Starr deserves huge credit for this.

Supporting Characters The cast of The Boys is huge and everybody does good jobs in their roles but I will mainly talk about the main ones. Eric Moriarty has always been great as Starlight and I thought she does a good job here, she kind of goes away from being the all good superhero, there is more complexity to her and she is forced into tough decisions, especially in the latter half of the season. Aya Cash coming in as Stormfront is great, her character is also one of the most interesting parts of the show and the more you find out about her the more interested you are and more concerned about what plans she has. The show also does a great job of fleshing out the characters of Mothers Milk and Frenchie as we find out more of why they are so close with Butcher. Jack Quaid as Hughie definitely had more of an impact in the first season but he is still good in his role and I actually think they take his character is an interesting direction during the season and at the end of it. Also any show that has the great Giancarlo Esposito is a win for me and even though he isn't a huge part of the show, he does a great job as always when he is on screen.

Story Most of the story is interesting this season. Seeing Butcher, Homelander and Stormfront's character arcs is really fascinating and you really just want to find out more about them and where they are going throughout the show. The boys still does a great job of using its stories to reflect real world issues but add the craziness of The Boys too it and this show still does a good job this. However, this season struggles with the same issue as the first season, there are just a few too many story arcs that aren't really that important and really take up more time then it should. For example the whole Church Of Collective stuff feels pointless and like it could have been ripped from the show and it would be no different and I would have rather spent more time with fewer characters then force us into watching story arcs that aren't that interesting.

Script The script still has plenty of laughs and drama to it, it is clever but not in the way that it knows it is clever, meaning it feels very natural for the show that we are watching. But some of the characters are written really well, mainly Homelander which again I can't stop talking about. But this season more then most have a few things that don't quite make sense and it feels weaker then the previous season with its writing and that hurts the overall product.

Style The style is still excellent, the visceral action scenes are still here, I just love how unapologetic this show is and this season is no different with the show really throwing plenty of punches. It is exciting and mostly keeps the pacing up and keep you invested overall. The fact that the episodes were released weekly sucked, but this isn't the first show to do it and it won't be the last so it didn't really affect my watching experience.

Overall Overall this is another great season of The Boys, If you loved this show you will enjoy the second season and with a third season and a spinoff show announced, hopefully we will see much more.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
[8.3] Very nice, but needs more depth and tangible pace
cjonesas15 June 2020
The Boys is an awesome show, that shines because of acting, visual effects and musical score on the foreground and then on screenplay and storyline.

• It has superb acting performances by most of the cast. The ones I loved more were Homelander, Queen Maeve and The Female (quite a natural performance)
  • It sets the mood in a very good and convincing way, but in the process gets many disconnections in terms of storyline, development and plots. That's the weakest part of the show.
  • It is superhero cheesy and has black comedy, while funny at times and making laugh, that is not enough, because the entire atmosphere of the show is all but funny. It's serious, grim and a little depressing.
  • The musical score and soundtrack are very enjoyable and fit nicely with the scenes.
  • It needed more than 8 episodes in season 1. It was that good and things were rushed mostly in the last episode.
  • It lacks somehow in characters background and development and needs to work more on that in the second season.
  • It lacks in depth, darkness and pace and needs to release some of the cheesiness and focus more on serious stuff. That's my opinion.
  • The CGI and visual effects are nicely done, very good and if it wasn't for some jokes in-between, it would have contributed stronger, increasing the awe factor. Remember Watchmen the movie and you'll understand.
  • Starlight, while being super cute and sweet, needs to work harder on her superhero charisma, rather than showing kinda whiny/spoiled doll features. Similar for A-Train with his bland, shallow acting and narcissistic personality.

What season 1 most of all needed was 2-3 more episodes, increased development and sense of dangerousness. That's not a theatrical show in which actors "happily" jump up and down together and die "randomly" together. Give it a purpose, a straightforward path and real brilliance.

If it's too late and the second season's already been shot, then, I guess we just have to wait and see if the writers understood the little minuses and worked, hopefully hard on correcting them. If not, we are set for another "8" episodes of CGI and action cheesiness.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Season 1- Fun, and easy to watch, but a bit messy. Season 2- Bloody Brilliant
aidanratesmovies25 May 2020
Very entertaining, well acted, and a times hilariously over the top- The Boys may not be as unique as people say it is, but it has enough clever and fun moments to make for a more than decent time. The casting is surprisingly very well done, with Karl Urban as Billy Butcher being the overall stand out of the show- and most likely proving to be quite an iconic character for future watchers. Other notable performances include Jack Quaid as Hughie, Antony Starr as Homelander, and Erin Moriarty as Starlight. The idea is a fresh concept and it can lead to some ridiculous and often fun situations over time, but often enough, The Boys seems to rely too much on tropes from previous superhero entity's before it, and it feels a bit too predictable and formulaic for its own good. That being said, if you can push aside the lower quality standards of writing throughout the show, and focus on the pure entertainment value, the show will be incredibly easy to watch. At times it does take a dip or two on pacing, but for the most part, The Boys is able to be a quite entertaining and interesting satire with some quite clever ideas. Some moments in the show seem a bit too drawn out, and there are quite a few plot holes within the show that are never really explained. It's characters are interesting to watch, but before you get to dive deeper into each of them, they can seem a bit generic and a bit of a copy off of other characters from D.C. comics- such as Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Starfire, and Superman. However, if you are looking for a fun and raunchy watch that can surprise you at times and entertain you pretty much all throughout, The Boys is the show for you. It lacks the strengths that other recent superhero television shows, such as The Umbrella Academy, have in terms of unique formation of story and situations, but it has enough to keep you going and more than enough to keep you wanting more. My Rating: 8.75/10

Season 2 was fantastic, very few seasons have been as consistent and breathtaking to watch as that one, especially that season finale.

Season 2 Rating: 10/10
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun but with so many flaws
MovieIQTest1 August 2019
For example: In Episode 7, they were blown and ran into underground in a safe house, the young Romeo Hughie still kept calling Annie but got no answer. Hey, you guys didn't know they could trace back the location where you were hiding with your cell phone? And the other guy Frenchie still on his laptop? Jesus, this is the common sense even a guy like me would know when being hunted, the first thing you do is either dump your phone, or turn it off, or take the sim card out and snip it in half or whatever to make you disappear from the cyber space, still used your phone and got on line with your laptop? Jesus.....@#$?!
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wonderful entertainment a little like Gotham
robertemerald30 June 2020
When I compare The Boys to Gotham I'm not saying that visually it is like Gotham, just that it is similar in that it takes ordinary people and pushes them to psychological limits, their dilemmas resulting in extraordinary heroic, or conversely, overblown devious behaviour. Like Gotham the serious edge is twisted with the whacky, resulting in enormous entertainment. For me, this is better than the Powers TV series (2015), though a very similar theme, basically because rather than a single fallen hero cop investigating superhero wrongdoings, the superheroes here are opposed by a very rogue, brilliantly resourceful and animated team of imperfect vigilantes. The characters in The Boys are deliciously chosen. It's super stuff, and great credit to the writers, totally engaging from beginning to end (I've only seen season 1), each episode highly satisfying, with characters you can either have great sympathy for or alternatively find reprehensible in the extreme (and many subtle colours between), with fantastic effects and a snappy script. For me, this was as much a classic revelation as was 2019's Brightburn the movie (though not as dark). I am increasingly being thrilled at comic universes coming to light. It is as great a revolution to me in my middle age as comic books were when I first discovered them as a small boy. The Boys is easily one of the most original things I've seen this year, despite the concept being explored in previous dramas. Cool bananas!!
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Anti-Christian propaganda pretending to be an edgy superhero series? No thank you!
TheOneThatYouWanted15 September 2020
The Anti-Christian rhetoric is strong with this one. Pay attention folks, the souls of your children are what they're aiming for and the people behind this cr&p play the game of decades and not days or even years. They literally dedicated a whole hour long episode to bash the name of Jesus Christ! And you wonder why year after year, more and more people are leaving the church. Acting for the most part isn't an issue except for one guy I will talk about later because I want to try and cover more "pros" about the series first. The scenes are well polished and edited nicely and fool you well enough into believing the world building to be better than it really happens to be for reasons otherwise noted. This is based off of a comic book series which I haven't read so I am not sure if it is true to the original source material. But into the second season you can start to see the series is already running out of ideas but the ideas throwing the whole superhero universe under a magnifying glass is interesting even if Watchmen did it first (But Watchmen doesn't count because the idiot who directed that threw logic under the bus). There is an Israeli actor in here who is annoying bad at acting. I have no idea why someone so distractingly bad at acting would be cast in a big budget series. The action for something that is a superhero series is minimal but they use building tension to trick and fool you to think otherwise; a common tactic but overused to the point of being noticeable. This overhyped trash isn't worth your time even if they had the stones to but out a useful message.
34 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Angsty Superhero Drama
doomedmac22 October 2020
The Boys is an original show, but it's not perfect. It's got some bad dialogue and a mediocre plot, and it has some strong positives as well. The actors, characters, and drama are all convincing, and the show as a whole is very entertaining and engaging. Give it a shot.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.