Alphas (TV Series 2011–2012) Poster

(2011–2012)

Loved it so far
nigelridehalgh13 July 2011
I have to disagree with most of what the negative reviews say - I thought the characterization and the acting were excellent so far, with the promise of much more to develop as the series goes on. Of course the basic concept of the show is not new, or breaking any particularly new ground yet, but it seems well done and definitely worth a watch. There are so few shows that are ever completely original, so not trying this series out because because you've already seen another 'group of people with special abilities' series would be a shame.

I think one of the best aspects so far is the way in which all the characters talents appear to complement each other and the situation, in a way that seems much more natural and less forced or coincidental than other shows of this genre, which I imagine is not easy to achieve.

I am looking forward to the next few episodes extremely keenly.
96 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing show
crodr02126 September 2012
This show has fantastic writing, acting and is a fantastic reboot of the super hero concept.

I'm in season 2 and the episodes just get better and better.

The show has just enough drama and science fiction that it will entertain a wide variety of audiences. Wider than the average views of science fiction, in my opinion.

It is rare to find a show with a good plot and with science fiction elements. This show is currently tied with Game Of Thrones as one of my favorite shows. The characters are believable, you want to learn more about them and you feel it when things happen.

Just watch it. It is a such a good show it got me to write a review and I never write these.
21 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Slow Start, but Promising Finish
carpetfibers27 September 2011
I'll preface this review with a disclaimer: I tend to really enjoy the Sci-Fi (SyFy) original series, even their "soft" science fiction shows. When I first caught the preview for Alphas back in June, I decided to add the show to my DVR listing and promptly forgot about it. . . until last this past week-end.

I breezed through the first half of the show, finding it a good filler for housework and various chores that needed my physical attention. It wasn't until episode three, "Anger Management," that the show began to pull me away from my housework and requiring a more directed focus. The latter half of that episode in particular drew me to my couch, where I watched my hand over my mouth. It wasn't the plot line of the episode, the characters, or really the acting-- it was the directing.

Alphas doesn't create an original story, present overly original characters, or give us overwhelming twists in terms of plot. It does, however, tap into that indie aesthetic, that sort of natural feel that you find in film and more rarely television that causes personal investment. I was honestly surprised to find myself feeling this way from what ultimately translates to a X-Men/Heroes cum procedural re- write. But the more I began to pay attention, the more I found the art direction and the dialogue between the Alphas team-members really pulling the show out of an easy type-caste.

My recommendation is to watch the first season in one go. The writers, actors, and directer/s really came into their own as the season ended. As one other reviewer put it, the show managed to do a whole lot with very little, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what the second season gives us.
29 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent Characters, Interesting Writing
wmhogg19 August 2011
This is going to be short because I've rated this a 10, with nothing but delight over how this show is progressing.

I just finished watching "Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure". With Fringe off the air until the Fall, I really have to say that I have found a satisfying summer replacement.

The character's interactions are very creative and entertaining. Each character has flaws that make this so much more intriguing than a super-hero action team, perfect and powerful in their own right, whose main test is to overcome some all-powerful evil.

I hope this show gets renewed, The big shock is that the Sci-Fi Channel, (SyFY) is hosting this program. This is heads and tails above their other fare, but a welcome surprise.

I have to say that I think Gary is emerging as my favorite character in the series.
62 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Method Acting version of superhero cinema
nohosp17 August 2012
I've just started watching the second season after getting hooked from season one. I saw on Youtube a few weeks ago the actors discussing the show at Comic Con in San Diego, and I was very disheartened and unimpressed. They seemed so relaxed, quietly interested in their work, a little intimidated about being in front of the audience, but not polished or sparkling and certainly not larger than life salespeople.

They just weren't that into themselves!

David Strathairn and the whole cast are just not very outgoing people. They're a bit intellectual, actually, maybe even nerdy.

Maybe with the possible exception of Malik Yoba. He seemed to have all the charisma on that day.

They were just nice folks discussing their work. Were they putting less into the second season? Did they care less about these characters we've come to love? They seemed to enjoy themselves. They were so unassuming, humble and polite, very quiet, as though each and every one of them was a shy individual not accustomed to presenting and selling what they do.

Well, the second season has finally started, and it is remarkable. Exceptional, phenomenal. No, they aren't selling their performances. This isn't representation. This is Method acting. They are living the experience directly in front of us. They have crafted characters and situations that are REAL in capital letters. And most importantly, truthful down to the bone.

I don't say this with respect to the show's budget, or special effects, or even the basic story lines. The actors are amazing. The writing is incredible, and the directing awesome.

This is a low budget show with a handful of actors that on screen are so engaging, so engrossing that they will take you places inside yourself you may have never visited.

There is no hint they are even acting. They have it totally down. There is nothing formulaic regardless of similarities in basic story to other cinema and television. Yes, it's science fiction, but it is first and foremost remarkable drama, acting and direction.

The relationships between this team, their conflicts and their sincerity is palpable.

I loved Fringe, I love Supernatural, I like Warehouse 13, I really like Falling Skies, but this is something altogether deeper and more layered and simply more wonderful to watch. In those other shoes you are watching actors act. And they do a great job.

But the characters in Alphas are remarkable and fully realized people, in all aspects, clothed as ordinary folks you and I know and see every day. They are not "acting" but living the characters they have created, and doing so seamlessly in a way that draws us in, so we aren't watching. We are there participating with them. What they feel, we feel with them.

It's better than 3D HD. Better than IMAX. We are there with them, living through it with them.

Brando, Julie Harris, James Dean. That is what we are watching every week. It's a gift to the viewers.

We are seeing in season two a depth of their personal lives, and their reactions to what is happening, their growth, backsliding, trauma, and re-emergence that is mesmerizing to watch. In every line, glance, expression, these actors have poured themselves heart and soul out onto the screen and into creating their characters in extremely, painstakingly detailed and amazing ways.

It's wonderful to watch. As a viewer, I am more than happy not to have that interrupted with a murder-a-minute; fifty explosions per episode; a high-tech gadget or gun with every action scene; and every death punctuated with a humorous quip; as seen in larger budget films that get lost in all that.

Some reviewers here have clearly been brought up on that baby food and want their formula.

This is for grown-ups.

The pain and pathos, the fear and the friendship in the subtlest of actions which run well outside the script is fascinating to see.

These are working actors, working directors who have it down. They've figured it out. They've gotten to the soul of their art on a shoestring, and season two is even better, by several factors, than season one, which was quite excellent.

I don't know how the casting agent was able to pull this caliber of talent together, headed by Strathairn, Yoba, Ghanizada, Cartwright, Mennell, Christie (in front of the camera and behind it Penn, Karnow, Copus, Hastings, Wolfe, Behr, Chamoy, and Levy) but I will tell you that each episode is a motion picture, a fully realized morality and passion play of the highest literary caliber. The writers are giving the actors a lot of space to work with, and the ensemble cast, along with their directors, are running with it and taking us along in their journey.

If you are tired of the melodrama, the soap opera plot twists week after week, and the bludgeoning shock and awe special effects and explosions scene after scene that have left behind what used to be artistry; ready for some real food for the soul, watch this show!
31 out of 40 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent-- this is what good soft sci-fi looks like.
TroglodyteJB29 July 2012
I have to note this is the first time I have been compelled to write a review of a show on IMDb, and the reason is simple: in a sea of so-so soft sci-fi on SyFy, Alphas stands out as not just an excellent sci-fi program, but an excellent show.

Set, apparently, in the same universe as some of SyFy's other flagship soft science fiction series, Alphas revolves around individuals born with mutations that grant them specific enhanced abilities. On the face, it's an X-Men or Heroes clone, and certainly the influences are apparent and toe the line between homage and derivative.

However, the show handles this with great aplomb: the abilities are strictly limited and some effort is made for a scientific explanation for each ability. While it's firmly "soft" science fiction, it is actually science fiction, rather than the "science fantasy" that most of the popular SyFy series cling to.

One great strength of the series is the strict leash on the abilities and the savage downsides that accompany those abilities. One character is autistic. One suffers from social anxiety. One has oscillating medical problems directly resulting from his ability. On top the of the "upside-downside" nature of each ability, the characters are refreshingly nuanced. I never felt like the characters were defined by the advantages of the powers, but rather their more human struggles. It is, first and foremost, a science fiction show about a group people, not a group of superheroes.

Perhaps my favorite element of the series, however, is the moral ambiguity of the protagonists' actions. Certainly there are very dangerous Alphas in this universe; people with dangerous abilities, mental imbalances, malice, or a combination of the three. However, in working for the US government, which seeks to curb the rising tide of Alpha activism (and terrorism), the protagonists (and the viewers) find themselves questioning which side is correct. Indeed, the commentary on the use of force to combat terrorism, while heavy-handed at times, is possibly more adroit that most television programs that have attempted such commentary.

I highly recommend Alphas. If you've been turned off by the comic-book nature of many of SyFy's other shows, this is worth look. The only reason I didn't give it 10/10 stars are a few inconsistent abilities that I found a bit of a jump for an otherwise grounded series.
40 out of 54 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Most of the reviews are premature , this has potential
stefgrig26 July 2011
It keeps getting better . Episode 1 was , lets say unremarkable . An introduction , but with most of the cards hidden . But episode 2 gets things going . Opens up possibilities , starts giving us a background for the characters . And there is a transformation in progress , a group of misfits starts to become a team .

I do like the psychological aspect of it . And I will give this series a chance , will not judge it from 1 or 2 episodes . There are series that started of slowly and matured into greatness . "The event" is one example , even though they never got back most of the viewers they lost due to a slow start , in my opinion its their loss , as the series turned into one of the best .

I think this is a series that will surprise me more with episodes to come , and I will keep watching it . Characters are quirky , damaged and interesting , and the concept of alphas gives the series a huge white-board to sketch anything they want on it .

I for one am looking forward for more .
50 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An X-Men or Heroes for the 201X's
coldfusion7225 September 2012
This is a great show. The characters are wonderfully well rounded, fully dimensional. The plot is intriguing, the actors are great, the action is thrilling, the powers are unique and at least somewhat plausible.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of it is that the characters are accurate and believable, and that it works with a specific set of interesting characters with weaknesses and strengths who work together as a cohesive team, with no character being greater than the others as I've seen in the past (with the arguable exception of the "Dr. X" of the group).

Great show and I want to see it continue in future seasons.
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Yes! This is an excellent show!
Bolthouse14 July 2011
This is an excellently done show, and any negative review is completely wrong! I was a little wary to watch it at first because I figured it was just another random SyFy show, but I was sorely mistaken. The show is essentially about people able to tap into extraordinary abilities (called "Alphas") because of a unique neurological difference, working together to fight a criminal group with similar abilities.

The show was expertly done, with every character thoroughly established in the pilot. I was immediately gripped by the show after the first line (watch it, it's funny and dramatic all at once). I was actually expecting it to falter but I have to say that not once did the show not keep me interested. All the characters mesh well together (check out the hilarious banter between Gary and Bill, played by Ryan Cartwright and Malik Yoba respectively), and luckily it's not one of those annoying shows where people have abilities without limit, yet somehow find a way to thwart themselves by either "forgetting" their superpower or just not using it for the sake of conflict (*cough* No Ordinary Family *cough*).

While maintaining a superhuman atmosphere, this show realistically portrays an environment with extraordinary abilities that complement each other in a complex and well thought out manner.

My advice, give the show a chance. Watch the pilot and you won't be disappointed. Awesome show with awesome characters, all of whom are well-developed. This show will definitely make it to the top of your "must watch" list of the week!
78 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
already developed characters, team has love/hate relationships - it's real life superheros in real life situations
dbkelley-113 July 2011
so much fun, I can't wait for the next episode. finally a show that doesn't treat us like morons by showing us the minute details of how A met B and had to work with C to create a new superhero team.

nina has an obviously deep and hidden past, gary's character is interesting and well executed and he has serious tension with Malik's character, it's all very cool.

The show gets right to work. Remember this was the PILOT episode that already went out and was approved with great viewing numbers in the past.

I expect some great things from the future episodes now that the actors and writers have gotten to grow with time.
41 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth the question
ben_thurber4 September 2011
You can have show after show where there's a very clear difference between the good guy and the bad guy, and it's about the good guy going after the bad guy.

But can a grieving mom, desperate to make people pay for her son's suicide, really be considered a bad guy, or is she just someone who is using her ability to gain what she feels is justice?

Is it a good thing to make people believe they've found peace, even though it ends up hurting them?

And what if you had to break one of your principles to stop someone from doing something wrong?

For me, Alphas is compelling because they don't just present everything in clear black-and-white, good-guy/bad-guy scenarios that other superhero shows have done. Just as an example, No Ordinary Family had it pretty clear that the family was the good guys and the company was the bad guys.

And then there're the moral questions they seek to resolve in every show, but don't quite reach there.

Is it right to have a child by an Alpha who may be an alpha as well?

What if you were presented with a case where you had to do something you never wanted to do because a loved one was in danger?

What if you knew someone was trying to do something that appeared wrong, but ended up possibly being something everyone needed to know about anyway?

Is it right to use your team members to try and get your old job back?

The thing about Alphas is that it's fairly solid writing in a not-so- nebulous world where you have to wonder if these alphas are really the good guys or are they the bad guys, trying to get people off the streets and into a more controlled situation?

And that's why I think it's fantastic.
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Inventive Writing
scottpelath13 September 2011
First of all, yes, this show has a re-hashed premise (tons of comics, as well as the X-Men and Heroes Movie and TV franchises, not to mention No Ordinary Family and Mutant X), but really, what's the big deal about copying a high concept about a team of super-humans fighting another team of super-humans? It's what the show adds to the genre that matters.

What Alphas adds is relative realism. Each power has a steep genetic price: seeing and accessing radio waves is accompanied by autism, and recognition of all languages is accompanied with the inability to communicate. Adding to this, Gary's visualizing signals is actually one of the only truly "unbelievable" abilities. Most of the others could be drawn from youtube videos (lifting a car off a baby or throwing a quarter into a Coke machine from across the room). This "down-to-earth" mindset for its creation allows the viewer to more readily suspend disbelief when required.

The acting is only okay, but Sci-Fi Network is not really known for phenomenal acting. I'll admit that certain characters were grating early on, but what makes up for that is the writing. Not the dialog per se, but the in-episode concept and plot development are certainly to be admired. Between the visual representation of a DDoS attack in the episode "Rosetta" and the bottle episode "Blind Spot" (which brilliantly hid its lack of computer graphics), the writing (as well as direction) is captivating and original. The show take the best elements of a supernatural thriller and grounds it the plausibility that comes from a scientific explanation (many times using real phenomena unknown to most of the audience), and the realism of a procedural cop drama. Detractors may decry its repeated high concept, but Alphas is a notable positive addition to the genre.
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Safe, soft science fiction
CrispyJ1 August 2011
The recent SyFy lineup seem to be largely bland, watered down versions of previous attempts at genre shows that just didn't bring in the viewers.

Alphas follows this proud tradition in many ways. It is an obvious rehash of other, similar shows such as Heroes and The Cape. Another reviewer even noted the near shot-for-shot match of scene in the pilot to one in Heroes. I can only assume that this is a nod, or homage, to Heroes, as a coincidence would be hard to swallow. It seemed to me that they wanted to acknowledge what came before, before moving forward.

One element that makes Alphas different from previous superhero shows is the strong reliance on their other influences. Another reviewer mentioned cop shows; I myself feel Alphas to be a mix of Heroes and Leverage. The writers use the super abilities as a plot device to put just enough of a spin on some typical investigation or caper stories to make them feel fresh, while at the same time not delving quite deep enough into the science or 'reality' behind the powers to require the audience to think too much (and thus drop out of the story). This is a trend that is seen in other SyFy shows such as Warehouse 13, Eureka and Sanctuary. It's 'soft' sci-fi, and it allows the writers more freedom to stretch beyond a typical procedural to give the audience something new, but without having to establish a hard set of rules that might come back to bite them later.

One positive thing I see with this show is how the writers thus far have a tight leash on the powers. Power creep is the bane of just about every super hero story. Rather than having super heroes shooting bolts of something or stopping time, all of the abilities we've seen so far in Alphas (as of Episode 3) are merely enhancements of things people can normally do (Gary being a possible exception; if he merely saw the data streams, that would be one thing, but he seems to have a limited ability to manipulate them). This has the dual effect of being much easier to write for from a continuity standpoint while having much less of an impact on the special effects budget.

So I see it as a reasonably decent espionage/investigation/caper show that happens to include super powers to help drive the plot. As long as they don't let power-creep take over, they should be able to keep it going for a few years at least. It won't make any hardcore sci-fi fans fall in love with it, but it will definitely appeal to a wider range of everyday viewers.

I am guessing that a wider, more apathetic audience appeals more to SyFy than a smaller, yet more dedicated group of fans like you generally see with science fiction shows. I believe that is the new direction of SyFy, and I'll have to admit, it does make good business sense.

I think that was also an element in changing from SciFi to SyFy. It's not about science fiction so much, but it feels just enough like science fiction to be a reasonable replacement. Like, the diet coke of science fiction.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Struggle and Survival . . .
stephenrtod26 July 2011
I especially appreciate the fact that even though the main characters possess extraordinary powers and skills, they are pitted, regularly, against forces that press each one of them to dig down inside of themselves to produce their top-notch best effort. I find that inspirational. It is also fascinating to watch the synergistic effect of the team becoming more than the mere sum of its parts. In the classic sense, a very American concept of facing down formidable odds and all pulling together.

In "Anger Management," the initial premise makes it appear that the team is over-matched and must be highly innovative in order to succeed. What is more interesting is that the threat, or antagonist, in every episode, is always someone who has a problem, someone who can actually be helped in some way by the team.

To me, the sign of a really sophisticated plot involves more than mere man-versus-man chase scenes and shoot-em-ups. I like man versus self and man versus society, and this is a show that reflects upon how each of us, going about our daily routines, adds an enigmatic piece to the amalgam of what we call society, an entity that is constantly changing and really only realized or visualized when we find ourselves in some stressful situation, usually something like a war, a riot, some serious conflict such the recent donneybrook over the deficit.

I also like the focus upon the fact that most of us just idle along most of the time, only utilizing just a few percentage points of what is actually our true potential.

I like the show so much I have saved several episodes to watch again with friends who will come out of town in the near future.

There are simply no "dead spots" in the flow of events in "Alphas." Special effects are "gee whiz" amazing, but adhere to the laws of physics, biology, chemistry, astro-physics and other sciences.
10 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alpha Review
natethegreat0006 November 2011
This year I was watching two Sci-Fi series. Alphas and Falling Skies. I have to say Alphas has wiped the floor with Falling Skies. It has a good characterization without getting away from the nitty gritty action. Falling Skies seemed at first like a great series but despite it being about aliens invading earth it was more terrestrially based than out of this world. Alphas managed that perfect blend of showing characters and fight scenes. I'm looking forward to the next episode very much.I'm living in the UK so am watching it on 5* but if those across the pond have reached the end of the series I hope it's good. There is still lots to be told with quite a good plot line with twists and turns. It isn't that complicated but at the same time they haven't dumbed it down like most Sci-Fi shows.
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring.
banteros23 July 2011
When you find yourself looking at the clock every now and then while watching a TV show and find that only 5 minutes had passed since the last time you looked at the clock, you know that something is very wrong with the "entertainment."

Since the Sci-Fi channel decided to dumb down their programming, including the new Sy-Fy for dummies name, I have been very disappointed with that network. Still, I had hopes for "Alphas," given the premise, but it just didn't work out.

This is "Heroes" for dummies or, even worse, "X-Men" for dummies. It is flat out boring. The characters are boring, the pacing of the show is boring, the dialogue is boring!

When I looked at the clock again, already feeling very mentally fatigued from the boredom and found that only half an hour had passed, I couldn't take it anymore. I shut it off.

The dumbing down of America continues... to rave reviews.

Sigh.
32 out of 74 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wildly Entertaining
Sequoiahughes15 September 2011
Alphas takes the superhero genre to another level with its plausibility and attention to detail. The actors all appear comfortable in their roles, as if they'd been playing their characters for years. I hope the writers have the discipline to steer clear of "sciency mumbo-jumbo" and adhere to realism; it really makes the characters' plights more interesting.

If you enjoyed X-Men: First Class, House MD, Jurassic Park or 2001: A Space Odyssey, then you'll appreciate the extra care the creators went through developing this series. Much of the terminology (with an exception or two) is well researched and accurate.

The characters appear complex beyond cliché, human and three- dimensional. The "bad guys" are also often complex enough to jar you out of your comfort zone; you're often left wondering if the heroes are on the right side.

I believe that Alphas will accomplish for science fiction what Pixar did for CG animation, breathing new dimensions of heart and soul into the genre.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
more beta than alpha
dreamer2point214 July 2011
Yes, the acting is reasonably decent and the plot moves along without too many starts and stops, I just have some trouble with the whole premise. Alphas are people with extraordinary abilities who can wreak havoc or save us all as the mood, and the writers, strike them. OK, I guess, but this series, based on the pilot episode, seem a little like NYPD Blue with super powers. How would we fight crime if we could read minds and jump over tall buildings? The Alphas only reason for existing is, apparently, to fight other Alphas. It just doesn't capture my imagination. Also, I'm wondering why someone hasn't strangled David Strathairn's character, Dr. Rosen. He's infuriating and self-important. His whole answer-a-question-with-a-question approach to the mental health of his team seems very ineffective, not to mention irritating. I'll watch a couple more episodes to see if things improve but I won't be holding my breath.
17 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Completely awful
elven_rangers28 September 2011
Rarely have I seen a series that completely insults the viewer's relative intelligence as this one. Alphas has as a premise a team of people with special abilities led by a neurologist who are investigating strange cases for the US DoD. The premise itself (as well as the characters) are bleeding with logical holes that are simply too painful to bear through the first 6 episodes (I stuck through this ordeal trying to see some potential in the subject). - why is an investigative team led by a neurologist? What exactly qualifies a doctor to be an investigator of any sorts? (this is the same hole that plagues CSI series) Moreover the team also acts as a tactical team led by nothing else except "Common sense" as none of them are trained to be tactical leaders - the only thing they have going is their abilities. - the autistic kid (Bell) can intercept any sorts of wireless signal and process the information within "as fast as any computer" (to quote the doctor). Is he? No. Within the pilot he is shown tracking a direct line of communication between two mobile phones. Dude! That's not how mobiles work! The signal from one goes to a tower then to the second phone. At best he would've been able to track the signal to the mobile tower and then get the general location of the second phone (in that case a mere triangulation would've given a much more accurate location). But wait, there's more! The kid can practically decrypt any and all protocols carried over a wireless signal. That includes any kind of video stream, TCP packets, communication over SSL, GSM signals and the list goes on. Any and all encryption algorithms are useless. This kid would be better put to work cracking terrorist communications. Hell, he's the universal decoding machine, in real time! TSL, RSA, AES are useless regardless of cypher strength, which goes way beyond the combined power of all normal human brains added to the total power of all the CPUs in the world. - the "marine" (Hicks) could very well be the equivalent of Bell in abilities. He can't tap communications but he can process just as fast. - the linguist (Pirzad) - initially her ability was described as heightening one sense and lowering the others, but it was changed to "disabling all the others". The problem here is that it's not just the senses that get boosted. Her ability is again the equivalent of Bell, because a sense simply feeds information to the brain. You need absolute knowledge in order to interpret that volume of information. One time she uses a heightened scent to detect complex chemical compounds. But first of all she needs the ability to process that much detail and then to have a comparison term - this kind of knowledge is available only to aging doctors in chemistry with so much experience. Unless her brain has the infinite processing power of Bell, there's no way she could know what she's smelling. And how could she describe the smell to another? It smells like .. aaaa ... potassium permanganate? For that she should know from experience what potassium permanganate is ... and she's a LINGUIST!!

The list goes on, in an annoying and unbearable fashion. I really can't believe that this level of stupidity gets to be compared to Heroes where (granted, 1 great season followed by soapy ones) at least the powers were well defined, strict and well explained.

The acting (on the other hand) is decent and on the par with other series (Warehouse 13), but the terrible and poor universe given to us by the inept writing and senseless characters turns this show into a terrorizing experience for the average intellect.
16 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A good quality interesting show
eunichman25 December 2011
I like how the writers don't immediately pan from one ongoing substoryline to another each episode but allows each substoryline play out over time. What I don't like is this 10 month wait for the next episode... I love the show, don't get me wrong, but as with most viewers, if the new season isn't out within a few months of the end of the old season i tend to forget about it and move on. There's only so many times one wishes to watch reruns when new content is always emerging and i think it is a bad move for the producers to make viewers wait almost a whole year to see what happened after the end of the last season. People are impatient, especially when a nice cliffhanger ending like the last epi gave us is left to rot and be forgotten.

I will TRY to remember how good the show was but 10 months... i doubt i will.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A smart, well formulated show.
carooly1111 August 2012
I like this show. I've been there since the beginning with the characters, struggling with their abilities and solving mysterious like Sherlock Holmes Xmen. Some of the characters are quirky, some are a little cliché but the dialogue is done well enough to were you don't mind so much. The powers some of these characters have may be the best part in the show. Its not just simply the "I can fly" or "I have super strength" powers. They are all interesting and creative, and some of them have downsides. Sometimes I just don't like how much this show tries to stay grounded in reality. They always have a scientific explanation for everything that has a little bit of whimsy in it. But as a whole its a very original show and they have me as a loyal viewer.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love it.
heynello18 July 2011
I loved Ryan Cartwright on Bones. He's the main reason I wanted to watch. Syfy also does pretty decent shows so I decided to take a look and I was instantly hooked. There's something about the show that sets it apart from the other 'superheros'. Because they're NOT superheroes. They're just people with neurological differences that give them special abilities. Abilities that are not over the top and quite plausible. As well, with these abilities come downsides.

Bill, (Malik Yoba) has the ability to gain strength by igniting his fight or flight response and pumping his adrenaline. You don't see him picking cars up and tossing in the air over his head. No. He can push a car and he can be a good fighter but he doesn't have a super strength. The downside to this is that once he's going for 5 minutes, it starts to take effect on his body.

Nina, (Laura Mennell) has the ability to "influence" or "push" someone into completing an act against their will, by simply looking into their eyes. (Doesn't work on Gary, though). Her downside is mostly trust issues being that nobody who knows of her ability can know for sure whether what acts are genuine.

Rachel, (Azita Ghanizada)has the ability to enhance her senses, for example scan a room or read the New York Times from blocks away, but this comes at the expense of her other senses, leaving her vulnerable.

Gary, (Ryan Cartwright) is I think one of the most interesting characters just because they haven't done many autistic people on shows. His powers are that he can read electromagnetic wavelengths in the air. (Nobody can see this but him). He can track signals from cell phones, look things up on the internet and even watch videos from anywhere. The downside to this is apparently headaches. Some people were mistaken in saying that the downside was that it left him autistic.

By the way, to the person who said that Gary had Aspergers (which I had thought too, being that many people online have stated this fact) that is incorrect. HE HAS HIGH FUNCTIONING AUTISM, NOT ASPERGERS. This has been confirmed not only by Ryan Cartwright himself on Twitter but on the show pilot when his file comes up in the beginning, you can see under where his power is listed that it says "A high functioning autistic". It's VERY easy to miss! Besides, he doesn't act much like someone with Aspergers. He is definitely straight up autistic.

Cameron, (Warren Christie) is the newest member of the team and the "sort of bad guy" in the pilot episode. His abilities include hyperkinesis (pardon me if I spelled that wrong) which gives him almost perfect balance, hand-eye coordination, etc. But his skills falter when his confidence does.

and last but not least, DR ROSEN (David Strathairn)is the leader of the group.

Saw the 2nd episode and loved it. The characters will develop over time. This is my new summer show.
13 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Alphas shies from breaking new sci-fi ground
shekhark413 July 2011
with great power comes great responsibilities, but the writers of superheroes show never seem to get that.

Gary Bell is autistic with an ability to (believe it or not) process electromagnetic info right from thin air, literllay. Bill Harken, a former FBI agent who can enhance his strength for a brief period of time; Nina Theroux, can reprogram other people's minds to do as she wants. Rachel Pirzad, who can heighten her senses and do almost anything with them. In the first episode they try to track down another alpha with Hyperkinesis or heightened and acute skills and accuracy. This alpha in question is Cameron Hicks (Warren Christie, The L Word) and he doesn't know just how special he is, but another alpha (Jeff Seymour) with the ability of mind wipe and control, orders him to gun down an inmate through an air vent several buildings away. That murderous act caught the attention of the government and our alpha's boss Rosen (David Straithairn).

The inherent problem with any series involving people with extraordinary power is that how those will be utlized by writers to create interesting story lines. Heroes started good, but after sometime it became confusing with all the time travel and power shifting. Alphas pilot episode, involving a mysterious sniper attack and a conspiratorial threat to the Alphas team, is routine. It's neither here nor there: low on sci-fi mystery and intrigue and not yet convincing as ensemble drama. you never feel the thrill or tension. The most enjoyable thing about the pilot is the performance of gary bell ( Cartwright), who does pretty much the same neurotic, hand- gesturing thing here that he did as Nigel-Murray on "Bones." our alphas have great powers but its success will come down to how the superpowers are going to be used. How inventive can they be?
12 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great idea is killed but bad script writers
ezvan27 February 2015
It was a promising, good idea, great story, acting isn't too bad either. Everything is fine except the scripts which kills a 10 rating all the way to 1.

While the show contains the usual "soap" elements the characters handle situations in the stupidest way, making no sense whatsoever and you just sit there saying "this is so stupid" repeatedly over and over during the episodes.

I couldn't watch the entire series. It's just messed up.

I recommend you to watch something else because this show will just irritate you.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
personally I think this series was pretty awful
p-jonsson26 February 2013
We finished watching the last episode of the last season of this series last evening. Personally I was quite happy that it was over even though it ended in a huge cliffhanger. After watching season one we really only watched season 2 because my son wanted to watch it. Personally I would rather have watched something else.

Actually I got downright frustrated every time I watched an episode in this series. This so called extraordinary team was really nothing but a bunch of bunglers with superhuman capabilities. They constantly screwed up, got entangled in their own personal problem or just behaved downright stupidly and then kind of managed to solve their case in the end after all.

Doctor Rosen, who where supposed to be an expert on Alphas, was generally behaving like he was clueless. Both in terms of his profession but also as an investigator. Over and over again I sat and wanted to scream at the screen that he should listen to what people around him said but no…he just ran off because he had something else on his mind…again. The person playing Gary was probably doing a real good job of playing autistic but he was literally driving me nuts with his freaky and obnoxious behavior. Bill was mostly being an idiot and suffered from the same listening problem as the doctor. The rest of the characters was…well nothing to write home about.

The main plot in the second season with the idea of enhancing alphas and killing everyone else with flashing lights was just dumb. When Rachel and Kat said how screwed they where because they couldn't turn of the lights in the station in the last episode I just went "thank god this show is over". Christ, never thought of covering your eyes or finding a dark place you dimwits? It is a shame. This series had great potential but it did not work out at all for me. I can understand why it was canceled after only two seasons.
5 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.