Dune Drifter (2020) Poster

(2020)

Nvm the bogus reviews, this was very long and boring
TopDawgCritic1 December 2020
This story was dragged out with pacing slower than a snail. I barely could stay awake. This may have been bearable if it was a short film. The acting was amateurish and the directing terrible. I guess the filmmakers didn't even have faith in their own film... of the 9 current reviews, all of them are clearly bogus and convenient 9/10s. That's pretty sad. Don't waste your time on this mess, even if you're bored.
90 out of 112 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Oh geez. This was painful to continue watching.
theedeer1 December 2020
This movie just was not good at all in any sense. Too bad, I looked forward to a new chapter. The fake (obviously fake to anyone unbias and truthful who actually see it) reviews are laughable. This was a true waste of time by a bad script writer and producer and I wish someone who have been honest enough to call this before it went out to the public... it was a dying horse from birth. Arrrgh as Charlie Brown would say. It is time I wish I would have spent better. If you don't like it from the first 5 minutes, it is just more of those 5 minutes put back to back to back to back. Sorry Kyle, they didn't live up to the name.
47 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Come on, man!
morpheuszion-615781 December 2020
Really? It's one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Couldn't even watch it all the way. And to steal the name of a movie that's about to come out...so lame, man. So lame. Are you expecting to take some of their money by baiting people to go and watch it? Just sad... And what a coincidence, that all people that said it was good, gave it the exact same rating.....NINE stars. Are you really going to give it the same rating THE GODFATHER has?!? Have you no shame?!? Even if the story was good, it still couldn't pass FIVE stars. AND YOU GAVE IT FREAKIN' NINE !!!!!
39 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst Sci-Fi Movie I Have Ever Seen
reellycynical2 December 2020
I had to try. I love SciFi, but i knew this was going to be a roll of the dice.

I lost.

This movie was stupid from the very first 10 seconds of the movie - all the way until the end.

The special effects were pathetic - like..... horrible. A Middle School class could do better with some flashlights and plastic wrap. Story? Dumb. Acting? Equally dumb.

Run for your life.
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinematic Excrement - Dull
fastpuppy2 December 2020
Why is so much of this movie shot with such tight shots on the "actors"? Seriously, about 45 minutes of this 90 minute movie is practically shot up the actor's nostrils?

The result is making an already dull movie almost unbearable.

The story is bad, the directing is bad, the acting is bad. The dialog is idiotic. The "special effects would be laughable in a movie made decades ago. The texture mapping on the space ships is especially poorly done.

Everyone involved in this film should seek other careers.

Someone decided this would be good for movie night because of the deceptive name and artwork they were duped into thinking it was a Frank Herbert movie - It isn't. We watched it (frequently hitting fast forward) more to punish the person who selected it.
21 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Free speech isn't free.
legionofthesnowzombie2 December 2020
"How can we sell this piece of movie gold? Think damn you, think!"

"I know! Stick the word DUNE big as brass on the cover art, then add the word Drifter in tiny writing."

"Right, that's the plan, meeting adjourned."
29 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who knew!?
Devils_Mentor2 December 2020
Both Humans and Aliens must be getting their plasma coils from ACME Rocket Ship Parts Inc.

Oh and Alien like wearing jeans
20 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad Movie
theedeer1 December 2020
Looks like old Star Wars stuff, except without the acting and thrill of the Star Wars movies. We watched, we yawned, we turned the volume down and we gave knowing looks, eye rolls and laughs. Sorry guys it just wasn't put together well by a great team. Not everyone is a writer director or actor.
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
noooooooo!!!
thepoggo3 December 2020
So, 10 users review this with 9/10????? please don't waste your time!
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B movie SciFi
falcon09292 December 2020
It's definitely not going to win oscars but for a low budget flick it actually wasn't bad. Pacing was overall fine, acting was sub par and it wrapped up very fast but that's to be expected in B flicks. Worth a one time watch for those not afraid of B movies.
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pocket change..
jonasatmosfera3 December 2020
Dune Drifter is another one of those movies that are made when a bunch of inebriated friends get together, collect the small change in their pockets and decide to make a movie.

The same guys then ask a random thirteen-year-old Star Wars fan to write a script on the back of an envelope. And the kid does this in the school bus, while going home.

I think that is the best way to summarize Dune Drifter.

It is bad, really bad.
12 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No Dunes...No Drifting...No Good!
silicontourist3 December 2020
I should have realized when I saw the word DUNE in the title (trying to cash in on the upcoming remake of the original "DUNE" 1984 classic) and, having seen the stolen film title strap line, from the 1980 film, "Battle Beyond The Stars", I should have just left it alone! However! In my defense (as an ex Graphic Artist and current digital artist) I blame the excellent artwork on the film poster; it seduced me and tempted me and I suffered for art :).

There is nothing in the entire film that is in any shape of form akin to any Sci-Fi movie ever made and, certainly not Star Wars...although the Earth fighter ships were quite clearly modeled upon the Star Wars Battle Cruisers of the Emperor. But! After reading the plot/story-line the superb Dennis Quaid and Louis Gossett, Jr. film, "ENEMY MINE" (1985) did spring to mind; it was of course absolutely nothing like (or as good as) the aforementioned classic.

I'm not going to waste time on too much descriptive verse as it would give some of the film away like spoilers. The one thing that completely ruined this film was the camera work...as well as the directing. The entire film was shown in extreme close up views and with the jerky movements, akin to the camera action of the crappy "Blair Witch Project", it just got more and more tedious as it dragged on.

Other annoying bits were... 1) All the fighter crews women were screaming like squealing pigs but none of the men cried out (tells you a lot about the directors antiquated thought about women). 2) The hyper space flight scenes were ridiculously embarrassing 3) Four alien ship crew members (wearing fetish wear gas masks) were immune to the female pilots sidearm blasts. Pilots always have a sidearm at their hip and I could not believe it when this female pilot pulled it out of what appeared to be a sort of handbag :) I would have laughed if it wasn't such a monumental cock up! 4) The flight suits of both the Drekk alien crew and the Earth pilots looked like sets of overalls that sewage workers etc would probably wear.

Watch it or don't watch it...its entirely up to your good selves. Just don't forget it was me who warned you of its dreariness!

Sometimes watching paint dry can be so much more enjoyable :)
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Definitely not a sci-fi gem...
paul_haakonsen2 December 2020
Well, first of all I must admit that I am not really a great fan of the sci-fi genre, unless it turns out to be "Star Wars". But still, I was given the chance to sit down and watch the 2020 movie "Dune Drifter", and since I hadn't already seen it, of course I found the time to sit down to do so.

While "Dune Drifter" was semi-watchable, writer and director Marc Price wasn't really delivering a sci-fi classic with this particular movie. The plot was just way too generic and predictable.

The special effects were adequate for the movie, given it was a relatively low budget movie. And I will say that the props were definitely good. Well, aside from the suit that the 'enemy' was wearing, which was just a hardball protective outfit with a gasmask. Seriously? That was just so laughable and painful to watch, and it was so hard to take it serious.

"Dune Drifter" is the type of movie that you will watch once, then never think about it again, because the contents to the storyline and script were just so vague and mundane that there simply is no purpose to watching it a second time. Plus, the movie just can't support more than a single viewing anyway.

Initially I had thought that "Dune Drifter" might have been a mockbuster from The Asylum on the upcoming "Dune" movie. Luckily it wasn't that. But let's just be honest, "Dune Drifter" was by no means a memorable movie regardless.

My rating of "Dune Drifter" settles on a generous three out of ten stars.
10 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a 100.000 movie. Respect that!
urazoid10 January 2021
This is a great movie for it's budget. It will lack holyweird effects and high level cgi. It is a nice little story about a little event in some distant war. Do actors play well? Yes. Do costumes and ships look ok? Yes. Expecting high poligon aliens and big sfx fights? Ignore this title.

The movie has agreat money-value ratio. Director managed to squeaze a neat lil adventure into this 100.000 budget. Yes, people use nerf guns. Yes, the costumes are hand made cosplay. But the main actress acting is A grade. Story is obvious for sci fi fans, but it is the story that could have happened.

This is a not a B-movie about gore and cheap laughs. This is an emotional adventure through the eyes of a futuristic astronaut.
What is the code?
nogodnomasters6 December 2020
Following a very noisy Star Wars type battle in the vacuum of space, Phoebe Sparrow is marooned on a planet and needs to cannibalize an interchangeable part from a crashed enemy alien ship. I expected them to copy "Enemy Mine" at this point, but they did not.

Very boring.

Guide: NO swearing, sex, or nudity
Slow to Build.
DarlingLlama5 December 2020
For people confusing this with Dune Anything, if they would just read the description of the movie they would figure out it has nothing to do with the HerbertVerse. There are no Sand worms, No mighty Houses, no Bene Gesserit, and no Muad' Dib, and No, the spice does not flow.

This is a raw movie. A simply made movie. Too realistic for most people. A movie for hardcore sci-fi fans who will stick it out through all the unpleasant screaming in the beginning, the somewhat bland darkness of space, and the simplistic props and wardrobe.

But alas, no one wants to use their imagination anymore, so when they see simple costumes they immediately crap all over other peoples hard work.

You don't like what this director did, that's fine. How about you make a movie so we can all see how well you would do...

This wasn't a great film, great story, or great acting. The movie IS long and tedious. But the last 10 minutes make it worthwhile as things come together and some questions are answered.

Will I ever watch this again? No. I am content I saw it once, though.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Atrocious in every way possible
Claptrap_Reigns4 December 2020
Abysmal acting, abysmal space combat, abysmal logic, easily the contender for one of the worst movies of all year. Left after 30 minutes to watch something FAR more enjoyable. If you want some indie sci-fi worth of watching go with 10th Cloverfield Lane or the two (second installment included) Iron Sky movies instead of this abortion.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
don't waste your time
krogchoi-693766 December 2020
This was so slow and boring ! The only explaination I could come up with to why this movie exists, is that it acts like a trap for people who don't pay attention and think they are going to see Dune.
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not that terrible, not great.. Never an 8 or 9.
Akeron782 December 2020
A budget take on sci-fi, and it shows. The various components of ships, weapons and suits are very recognizable and does not look like advanced technology. But ok, maybe that's what they were going for. The story is paper thin, there are some suspenseful moments that work well, and the little acting involved isn't horrible from the main character. The CGI is cheap, and I keep thinking things are too repetitive, lumpy and cumbersome. A lot of it is probably due to what we are used to seeing in more expensive sci-fi. I read a review where someone said it could have been a short movie, and it would have covered everything they needed. I second that opinion. A 25 minute feature wouldn't be out of place.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I have seen a lot worst for the budjet they did a great job
kaefab6 December 2020
Come on first this movie does not deserve a 1 its not that bad of course clear up the fake reviews with the 8-9-10 too because it certainly does not deserve such a high rating.

The effects are quit good if you compare this to the awful asylum movies. For the budget they did a great job with that. Looking at the FX the costumes and all they where able to do this with 100k even the spaceship battle at the start of the movie are well done.

Its a sci fi very low budget movie. I am giving it a 5 for the effort also the acting was not that bad compared to today standards of beautiful people with no brain.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ignore the 1 star reviews, they're idiots
thoughton716 December 2020
The first rule of IMDB is you should ignore all the 1 star ratings. Anyone who rates a movie 1 star clearly has an objectivity problem. 1 star, by definition, means it's as bad as the worst movie ever made. This quite clearly is not.

This movie is a decent little indie Sci Fi. The first half hour is a bit weak, especially the overly-slow deaths and the admiral's aide character, but once they land on the planet it tightens up and becomes a great little suspenseful action movie. The acton was pretty good, especially the lead's use of weapons.
7 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
They did their best!
dancetvincent4 December 2020
Let's be clear, this is film is better than the "one star reviews" would have you believe. Does it have its problems? Sure. The "nine star reviews" are also over the top. There should have been more breathing room for the setup in the beginning of the film, so that we get to know the characters better and care more for them.

Having said that, they clearly made the most out of a very limited budget... and at times I was impressed with what they managed to pull off. The astronaut suits looked pretty neat, as did the ships and the combat scenes.

Part of the problem, is that most of the story (from the second act onwards), happens on a mostly deserted planet. It's why the plot had to be pretty basic and some reviewers complain about it being slow. However, that's mostly a factor of the limited budget they had to work with.

Could it have been better? Yes, but you shouldn't go into this expecting the same experience as you would with films that have ten (or one hundred) times the budget. If you have some sort of concept of how difficult it is to make something yourself, you can appreciate that these kids did a good job... and also that there's still room for improvement!
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jaw-droppingly awful
bernie-1229 December 2020
Well, I admit I wasn't expecting a lot, but as soon as I saw the space suit helmets full of lights inside, I knew what I was in for. Inept movie makers cannot resist doing this, to make the lighting job easier. Any dimwit can see that if your helmet is full of bright lights, you won't be able to see a thing outside. Even so, I was unprepared for how bad this mess really is. I love Sci-Fi, and am usually pretty forgiving of mistakes, as it's hard to find a piece of watchable space opera these days. And there are those rare gems that somehow find their way to a release of sorts. This is neither of those. Rather, it distinguishes itself as one of the worst movies I've ever seen, on all levels. Could have been directed by Tommy Wiseau. I really can't say any more.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't get the title
the_nephilim711 December 2020
I really wish they'd had a bigger budget so the SFX could have been better. The lead actress is pretty good but the other one (Hazel) drove me crazy with her overacting and making noises like she's turning into a zombie. There's nothing new here but it could have been worse.
8 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
When the Dune Drifter has drifted away
AliensReservoir4 December 2020
The Asylum movies are way better! And we all know how crappy are those movies (except Sharknado LOL).

Dune Drifter has nothing to do with... its title, Dune Drifter is so boring that you might suicide yourself... twice, in the middle of the... Sorry I can't call it a movie.

After watching that... thing, I came immediately here to try to prevent some suicides with this review! Be careful, boringness, dullness, dreariness, insipidness await you if you watch this!

I also discovered that all reviews with a 9 out of 10 were made from cast members... click on their username some of them have no shame as it is clearly written that they were part of this thing ;)
7 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.