Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 10 items
|MPAA||Rated PG for scary images, suggestive material, some language and smoking|
Sex & Nudity
- In the first song with Jack and his love, Jack mentions wanting to rip off her clothes into confetti. (English version). Ice cream appears on Acacia's boobs at one point for a quick second.
- One of the supporting characters dresses in short dresses and garter belts with stockings. She behaves as a supportive family member, however. Other supporting characters at a 'side show' style circus are suggestive in their outfits and behaviour, but nothing overt.
Violence & Gore
- The school bully is the 'king of the playground' and with his group of followers, torments and teases another boy relentlessly. The two boys fight and one is stabbed in the eye by a cuckoo-clock bird. Inside a train, 'Jack the Ripper' chases a boy with a knife. An amusement park ride through a haunted house attraction depicts various torture scenes and the like, but it's very quick and the focus is on the train's path, rather than the attraction.
- Very little to speak of. Some name calling and school-yard stuff. Some exclamations of a french persuasion.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- A few of the supporting characters smoke, one is defined by it. One character drinks what appears to be tears that she's collected over time.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The general tone of this movie is quite dark, especially at the beginning: the world is freezing over, a pregnant mother is walking with desperation to the midwife's house on a hill, the baby is born with a frozen heart and is seemingly lifeless while the midwife works on him. When she installs a cuckoo clock for a heart, his re-animation is disjointed and a bit creepy. The birth mother leaves the baby with the midwife and the midwife raises the child.
- The midwife makes rules about not falling in love as she says it will destroy his heart and kill him. The rest of the movie is about the boy falling in love. Each time his 'heart' gives him trouble, his actions become stiff, awkward and intermittent in a disturbing way. He is tormented a lot by the school bully. Chased down a train by 'Jack the Ripper' with a knife describing his ill intent in a sinister tone.
- A number of characters at a side-show style amusement park are 'interesting': a girl's head is separate from her body and attached like a balloon, one character has two heads, another is a face with a bunch of legs sticking out like a sun, another lives in a coffin, chain-smokes and is mean and creepy.
- A number of 'dream sequences' show fanciful imagery and adventures of the characters which could be hard to follow by small children.
Sex & Nudity
- The general feel of the movie is about long-lost loves and there are a few 'aborted kiss' scenes as well as a long kiss at the end.