Xue chan (2007) Poster

(2007)

When an impoverished country couple adopts a crippled young girl and puts her to work begging on city streets, a battle soon ensues over her fate.
dGenerateFilms12 March 2010
Luo Jiang and Guihua, a poor, middle-aged couple with few prospects, decide to buy an 11- year-old girl, Xiao Ezi (aka "Little Moth"), for $140 in rural China. Xiao Ezi's life is in peril, as she is forced to earn money for her new parents as a beggar while suffering from a blood disease that leaves her unable to walk. Her greedy adoptive father, Luo Jiang, refuses to buy her medicine, while Guihua's growing maternal affection wracks her with guilt. After a run-in with local extortionists, the three flee into the territory of the unsavory Mr. Yang, whose one-armed boy Xiao Chun is also forced to beg. Inevitably the grownups take turns taking advantage of each other, giving the children a rare opportunity to develop a protective bond with one another.

With virtually no budget, a hand-held digital camera and a cast of non-professionals, Peng Tao turns the sordid street life of small town China into a chain-reaction tale of human cruelty and unforgettable suspense. LITTLE MOTH "melds the anger and storytelling scope of Dickens, the doc-influenced immediacy and sensitive gaze of the Dardenne brothers, and the best tendencies of recent Chinese cinema." (Robert Koehler, Variety).
12 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
WARNING: This review might contain a spoiler.
Joseph Prendergast26 April 2015
"Little Moth" is an extraordinary film about the life of a little girl in emerging China. The performance of Zhao Huihui in the role of Xiao Ezi, is one of the most amazing performances by a child actress I have ever seen. From her first appearance in the film, Zhao projected a poetic insight into her circumstances which never flinched, no matter how horribly the truth manifested itself. The truth was relentless, and indifferent.

Zhao Huihui, I speak to you from from my heart and from the comfort of my home in American. I extend my hand of friendship to you and to all of China. I do not think I will sleep tonight. I was so deeply moved by your performance, and all of your supporting actors. Thank you all for reminding us all of the simple necessity of compassion.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this