Don't Listen (2020) Poster

(2020)

Went in blind and enjoyed it
rouselleisla2 December 2020
I watched it without expectations. And then it turned out to be really scary and good. I love when that happens. Loved the twist at the end, too. There's a post credit scene that hints at a sequel.
29 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good traditional ghost story
richardwworkman9 January 2021
Spanish horror doesn't really do the slow build up thing does it. From the very beginning this film kicks off with the creep and tragedy and just keeps going.

There's are lots of elements to the tale that include witchcraft, possession and folklore woven around a dark story and a sense of foreboding.

If there are lessons to be learned from this film its to make sure you always empty the pool and look at your children's drawings very carefully.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worth a watch....!
Affshar11 December 2020
Pros: The story and the screenplay was good, never let me skip any scene. Jump scares are decent and were plotted where its needed. Unpredictable climax and the twist. Cast performances were good. Sound and cinematography was good, enjoyable with home theatre.

Cons: Not much but I felt some slowness in-between the movie.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pretty good
pigsrings27 November 2020
Pretty good with lots of jumps. Storyline was a bit basic with a few holes. But aside that it does make you jump. Plus the ending not traditional and I thought was really good.
39 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DON'T LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS! THIS GUYS DIDN'T WATCH THE MOVIE!
maiadiog5 January 2021
One of the best horror movies of the year, made me scream more than the main characters when jumpscares happened more than 20 times in a roll. Me and my friend were watching this movie together, and there's this one moment in which you think jumpscares stopped but it's a lie, they were just beggining. My chair could be compared to a Pogo Stick due to how many times i jumped out of it. Definitely worth a watch and who knows even a second time? Acting is marvelous, the script is fine, the scenario is amazing, and the photography and ghost angles were spot on.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jumpscare, the movie
rudygerst29 November 2020
We've seen this story a thousand times. It's also stupid and unoriginal.

Movie relies heavily (and by heavily I mean "only") on cheap jumpscares.

Of course, no one ever bothered to check the kids drawings. Of course, the protagonists decide to split up many times

I can't believe we're still doing this kind of movies in 2020. Nothing to see here.
59 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Missed opportunity for a great movie!
TreeFiddy538 December 2020
I really liked the first 20-30 mins of the movie: The build up was good. The visuals give you the creeps (and depending on your level of scare, they might even seem scary) and you can tell that it's about to go down, the movie does a good job of building the anticipation. Watch this movie for the first half if you'd like to. Would recommend that! The acting was good too!

But halfway through, I lost interest. The movie had so much potential but it was a let down then on, especially in the final 30 mins. A couple blatant things were missed to move the plot on that made a character seem dumb, only made me care less for him. The narrative around the "paranormal/witch/ghost" in the final third felt weak and rushed. The lore could have used more time and stretched bit.

The final twist - Interesting. I'm torn with this one though but I'll take it. I guess the first 20-30 mins and the this final twist are the two things that I'll take away from the movie. That's about it. Turns out, there was a post-credit scene, that I missed, about a new story. I don't think it's worth the time to go back watch it, it's not gonna salvage the story in this movie for me.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Scary as hell
teocrito30 July 2020
I really liked this movie. It's very scary and it gets you every time. A must see if you like horror movies
48 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dont Care!
med-0108128 November 2020
This was disappointing. I was expecting a lot more from the Spanish. They usually make very good films especially horrors. This was mediocre at best. Standard Hollywood horror. Yes the ending is decent but it doesnt take away the fact that there was a missed opportunity here. From what started out as a promising horror with a good storyline just fell a bit flat in parts. The jump scares were predictable, the tension was good and could have been so much better if they focused a bit more on the payoff of built up suspension into a jump scare but it just didnt do it for me. I dont get the 10/10 reviews for this. The acting was good but i wasnt drawn into the characters as much as i wanted to be. Still worth a watch but dont go in expecting a horror classic that stands the test of time.
35 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Maybe Next Time
yusufpiskin30 November 2020
Well... If your child is hearing voices there are three probable reasons for this:

1) He has a very strong imagination. 2) A traumatic life experience or mental health problems such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. 3) The house you are in is haunted.

As Don't Listen is a horror movie the third option is clearly the obvious one. This is a fine Spanish horror flick that is full of creepy moments - we get many of those wonderful shots of shadowy figures in the background - and the atmosphere of dread and horror as the malevolent spirit preys on the residents with a series of brutal mind games is great, that all said, it's unfortunate that the last act relied heavily on our cast of characters acting like complete idiots, which to be is fair standard horror stuff. This movie also answers the question, "What is worse than building your house on an ancient burial ground?"

Note: If flies are swarming around a crack in the wall it might be a good idea to find out what's inside that particular wall..
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Don't listen" is a suspenseful yet predictable horror movie
giorgosstefanidis28 November 2020
I was pretty excited about this one because of the really good reviews it got . I must say I wasn't disappointed but wasn't surprised either . THE GOOD -The acting is great -The atmosphere is really creepy and so is the special effects and makeup . -The first 20 minutes of the movie are shocking and scary THE AVERAGE -The jumpscares . At the beginning the jumpscares were great but as the movie progressed they got cheaper. THE BAD -The twist was really predictable for me .

Overall you should watch "Don't listen" because it's definitely worth checking out but you shouldn't have high expectations . I am going to give "Don't listen" a 6.5/10
19 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best horror movie i see in a while
victor-ferreira30 November 2020
Most movies i see have tons of cliches and bad moments that i tell myself "i wouldnt have written this scene like this. They ruined it". It didnt happen to me in this movie.

Everything is well set up. This movie has some thriller moments and scary situations that i dont see in most movies nowadays.
14 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre copy
onurmansiz29 November 2020
This film gives the impression of being carved by copying parts of many films and series that have achieved success in the industry. but unfortunately, I can say that this movie was unable to create its own originality. IMO the biggest betrayal of horror cinema is to create fear by making the audience to wait only for jump-scare scenes. Other than the jumpscare scenes, other scary(!) scenes, as I said before, were stripped away from other movies.

Of course it's not bad at all; to some of those who'll read this maybe it'll become the one of the best movies of the last couple of years. But for me it's just NOT! Watching productions such as haunting of hill house, the conjuring or insidious for the fiftieth time will satisfy you more, it is incomparable.
26 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is true, the format/plot has been done before, but even so Don't Listen (2020) isn't a terrible film
James_Denton30 November 2020
As horrors go Don't Listen (2020) isn't a terrible film, its only let down is it's a well known story (i.e. an old house with death and evil).

So the good and the bad:
  • It does what it should do, it's scary.
  • Personally, I thought the setting and the way it was filmed (i.e. colour and hue) were ideal for the movie.
  • The film is predictable in that it is set in an old house etc. but even then I was still caught out at the 'jump' moments
  • There is always a twist at the end of a movie like this, and sure enough Don't Listen (2020) doesn't avoid this. Again, personally I thought it was ok
  • I can't speak for the other languages, but for dubbing, the English version was good

Overall, it's engaging, at times scary and a good movie.

Recommended for people who enjoy the 'old house' horror.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really good, including the ending
happytobesam27 November 2020
Horror movies are often disappointing these days. Too often it's just cheap scares, screaming and gore. This one is truly creepy. I hot a bit worried in the middle with the witches that it was going to get "americanised " but luckily it didn't. And oh wow, what an ending. Also keep watching till after the end of the endroll, there's more there.
21 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What a boring film.
Sleepin_Dragon3 December 2020
It's technically a very good film, it's very well produced, the acting is excellent, but for some reason, I was bored to tears, now I'm not sure if something was lost in translation, it was dubbed into English, but at no point did I feel in the least moved, scared or thrilled.

I genuinely love Spanish horror, they make some of the best, this just had nothing new, we've had the fly before, we've had the under the sheet figure before, I am sure you will have seen all of this before.

It was at least very well made, and the actors played their parts well, trouble is the material was lifeless. Dull, 5/10.
7 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't Listen
krachtm28 November 2020
The plot: after a family moves in to an old house, the parents become concerned that their son is hearing voices.

Haunted house movies tend to be pretty cliched. You have to really like the formula to sit through most of them. It helps if you shake things up by watching the occasional non-English film. But, even so, you frequently end up feeling like you've already seen that movie a few times already.

"Don't Listen" doesn't stray from the template used by so many other haunted house movies. There's the standard bit of exposition about why the family can't leave the house. And, of course, someone finds a book that explains the movie's plot in detail.

However, quite a few of the scenes were well-acted, and the characters were all pretty likable. Each of the characters got to have their own spooky moment, where they sloooowly reach toward something they probably shouldn't be reaching toward. Then there's a sudden, loud noise, and the character sloooowly backs up, not realizing that there's something spooky behind them. If you can handle such cliched scenes, it's actually done pretty well.

Near the end of the movie, everything is explicitly and tidily resolved. There is absolutely no metaphor here, and there is literally no chance that you walk away from this movie scratching your head. It left me wondering if maybe this was meant for a younger, less jaded demographic than me.
7 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not scary at all
nazifarsayyad27 November 2020
Although the ending was a surprise but wasn't really scary. It's like they mixed all the different horror movies together and didn't really know what to do with it. Even at some points boring.
25 out of 52 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't watch
arsenico711 December 2020
There is very little to save here. Everything is too predictable, the screenplay is rife with lousy clichéés, the characters are dull and unlikeable, lots of cheap jump scares and the usual "scary" puppets and nothing much more than that. In the end, a very boring copy of the copy of the copy of a hundred films of the same genre you have already watched. Just let it go.
19 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mysterious
ST_Marcelo11 January 2021
I'd say it's not an ordinary horror movie. Worth watching it, though. Also, make sure you stay tuned until after the credits. Nuff said.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
My kids complained from my screaming!
deliaam28 November 2020
It does have the jump scares. Of course I wouldn't recommend for the little ones. Does show the killings upclose and bloody. Love that it gives you an additional scene after the credits. I can see a sequel or even a series with the remaining characters.
17 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beware of deadly flies
alekpixi-550041 December 2020
The scariest thing in this movie is the wall-to-wall carpet in the bathroom. Honestly just more of the same we've seen in horror cinema the past many years. Brings nothing new to the table.
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It is actually not that bad
vpalme26 December 2020
It is actually not that bad.

There are some attempts to not fit into the same old cliched formula here.

There are some genuinely atmospheric moments, and a few places where the story takes unexpected turns.

It is not a film that relies on some minor jump scares, and tropes, like so many have as of late.

Plus they did try for an original ending, and not the Hollywood style garbage that ruined horror. I would say that if you like the haunted house style genre, then check it out.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Suspensful stuff
KeriJoe27 November 2020
It's a conjuring ripoff but one of the better ones! The plot itself doesn't give you any surprising moments but the scary scenes will compensate you from start to finish. Creepy enough, the tension is palpable throughout the movie, the atmopshere is also quite effective. it's absolutely worth checking it out.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
There is still the true horror!
cdj-2792531 July 2020
Film of constant suspense and extraordinary plot twist. A script clearly treated and thought, something that is currently scarce. Amazing recommendation for lovers and not of horror who want to live an absolutely unexpected experience...
15 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.