Sentinelle (2021) Poster

(2021)

Decent start, but terrible second part
deruiterjelle5 March 2021
It started relatively strong, but very soon ended up full of cliches, rushed scenes and bad fight scenes. The most enjoyable part of the movie was laughing recognizing a cliche! Could have been a nice movie, but unfortunately it wasn't good.
59 out of 77 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring , illogical, bad acting
dynamitegb6 March 2021
Waste of time, so bring, acting is so bad, Watch on your risk
56 out of 79 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
nice start
info-955-1800295 March 2021
But that is all.After 10 ' you realize how predictable and boring will be the end.
42 out of 58 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Vacuity
eric-maisonneuve5 March 2021
Doesn't reflect at all what is sentinelle operation in France... beside this, everything is slow in that movie. Too bad. I only decided to watch that movie for Olga, in France, we say "Elle est grave bonne". That's all folks.
46 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I want to believe
njumeil15 March 2021
Imagine if this movie had blockbuster budget. I bet your version would differ from mine, but Hollywood would have Scarlet playing unbelievable soldier from Russia making the world a better place. What we have here is Olga playing brilliantly, looking almost believable as a soldier and trough her inner nightmares shining some light on this bleak immoral world. It is slow, but slow is smooth. I liked this film. I liked it a lot. There are no higher than life concepts, but why would we want another picture about cogs fighting in a world of global geopolitics. We want people doing it for other people and for themselves. In this essence A Sentinela is a brilliant 80-ies flick about family and revenge, but with grit and script of 21st century. Do not be rational about it, if you choose to watch it, just enjoy a the performance of someone doing what they think is right in their worldview.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I love Olga so I sat through it..other than that, meh!
privatelyed5 March 2021
I thought I was gonna see someone like Atomic Blonde, at least a Salt, or even Ava and/or Sam Carlson, Proud Mary; heck, not even a Hit Girl. Decent enough for one viewing, but that's all//
45 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I forgot how many times I pressed fast forward
manchiu-046956 March 2021
I forgot how many times I pressed fast forward and I don't understand why is this top 10. Netflix is getting disappointing.
33 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst movies I've ever seen
YawAgyapong6 March 2021
This lady was practically invincible the entire film. She beat up groups of men and women and cane out very unscathed. She's better than John Wick, Batman and superwoman in this movie
50 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Although pedictable cliche, but very boring
bm-892746 March 2021
It was short but ineffective. Olga is the only who can act. I like her acting, you cannot take that away. Although as a soldier she is more funny than cool. But the rest of the movie: idea, plot, story, continuity, feasibility, twist - does not exist. Camera work is amateur. Color grading is done by reading help, I guess.

If you want a good feeling about this movie, then take any movie by Steven Seagal, cut out of it a quarter and stretch it out to 1 hour and 20 minutes.
27 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Couldn't finish it
DrewDeLand5 March 2021
The only thing I can say is I was bored and couldn't finish this film. Don't recommend it at all.
32 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Feels realistic, but it's not. And it fails storywise.
siderite7 March 2021
I wanted to like the film and I expected to. It's a French film, and they usually don't pull their punches, then it's action and French action movies, when well done, are the best, and finally it starred Olga Kurylenko, who is a talented actress, not to mention really good looking. I mean, she's 40 and she looks 27.

Yet the whole movie is following this trained soldier fighting random people in order to get to her target. The entire story of the film is that one sentence. And the fight scenes were good, but far between, and too often they started from a careful and silent exploration of a building and some guy suddenly coming out of nowhere. The rest was boring and didn't make much sense. I do hope in France they don't take PTSD soldiers with an opioid addiction, arm them with Famas and let them roam wherever they want, even when wanted by the police and when they know where she's headed. The characters: all formulaic and most were superfluous. When they were not, they had a lot of extra characteristics not used anywhere. For example Olga's character knows five foreign languages - I expected her to put that to use, but it was just a random fact.

The worst, though, was the ending. In order to make it a bit longer, they had the bad guy escape once, only to be killed a few minutes later, when the target of one hour and twenty minutes was reached.

Bottom line: a failed film that doesn't know what it wants to be.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
finished in 5 min
sfrskz-441-9911126 March 2021
It was so boring, i kept skipping scenes. wish olga wasnt acting in this "movie"
21 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Olga, wonderful - but the film does not deserve her.
Nemesis426 March 2021
The stars here are for Olga. It was not her fault the script went flat. This starts off well' then runs out of steam on the second half.

More secondary character presence and development of would have provided better context for her story, and been much more interesting. The primary villain for example is not fleshed out or developed even near enough to provide an emotional counterbalance for the protagonist. More screen time and better writing on him alone will improve it. We need to feel and fret about how bad he is. Then we can more effectively justify Olgas journey.

It felt like she was playing against an empty person who we barely knew. It would be better had things been more realistic in the second half too
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
epic fail
jeevanphilip16 March 2021
Time killer movie, unrealistic story line and poor casting
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What was the purpose???
ricksarkar6666 March 2021
Revenge was a great revenge thriller, this one is not. Don't know why Netflix keep releasing this kind of garbage lately. Even Olga couldn't save this garbage. Boring, pointless, worst script and pathetic cinematography
17 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Revenge... a temporary remedy for PTSD.
Bellicose38 March 2021
Kurylenko's intense performance is solid as a French soldier coping w/PTSD. Using it as a driver for revenge.

Story have very little exposition to slow it down.

Fight choreography is concise and adequate for the amount of violent encounters in a 80min runtime.

Witnessing the 'sentinelle' sacrifice nearly everything is reason enough to see this movie.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I actually enjoyed it
atouchoftragedy6 March 2021
I watched it while doing other stuff, household chores and ended up liking it. Since it doesn't have a complicated plot, it's easy to follow and I really liked the main character and her revenge motives as well as the character in general. The movie has some major plot holes and logical faults though but that was okay. The super duper action movies with Statham and friends also have those.
19 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you hate slow burn, don't watch!
nikittauk15 May 2021
To those who rated 3 or below probably prefer the typical American soldier movies like Hurt Locker. This French flick is about trauma and someone being in the dark place who couldn't break through way more than an action movie. The acting of the lead Ogla is solid, it's not through her action that we get to see her struggles. It's in her eyes and expressions, that tells of the burden of war on her.

French film typically tries to relate the experience of the character to their behaviour and go deep into such areas so rating this low without understanding the culture in which the story is based would be totally biased.

Yes the storyline is simple but I feel this was done on purpose so that we don't get distracted from the main character's inner state. She was so broken and the system around her was also totally broken which left her no choice but to do the unthinkable to level the playing field a bit.

Glad to have watch this on a Saturday afternoon!
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I guess Olga needed the pay
paulsmahn6 March 2021
Never saw such a lame story line, one of the worst movies I've ever seen
19 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Netflix movie what can we expect?
amitderri7 March 2021
Thank God this was it 1 hour and 20 minutes. Netflix nailed it again
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poor scenario
sandydaninos-585576 March 2021
Just poor ! Good actress but a non sense movie, it's look like the new normal from streaming company to just produce very cheap and poor films
13 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
#woke
roxlerookie5 March 2021
Going full woke is one thing, men are rich rapists, women are honest, strong, speak 5 languages, and will seek justice. Ok, fine. But does that woman really have to be a model, trained as a ballerina, with no credibility whatsoever when it comes to strength, combat, or even toughness? Isn't that ultimately completely anti-woke then? It's like a Luc Besson movie, in terms of female characters, but way worse.
11 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad
performancehuntershow6 March 2021
A simple revenge film, that has the heroine using her military skills to exact revenge.
13 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre
Tweetienator8 March 2021
Gently put, Sentinelle is a watered down version of movies like Taken (Liam Neeson) with a little more focus on the broken character of our heroin. The action sequences are okay but compared to the genre standard of vigilante, revenge movies rather mediocre and lack verve, violence, speed, amount. As the rest of the story does not really make up to that lack of action quality, Sentinelle can't really satisfy the audience action nor drama wise. All in all: okay, a movie of TV standard, with a solid game by Olga Kurylenko. Verdict: nothing remarkable, but not that bad like many reviews and ratings indicate, that's at least my opinion.
7 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring
ciprianbujor6 March 2021
Boring and unrealistic from head to toe. The story is simple and predictible and the action lacks continuity.
14 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.