The 2nd (2020) Poster

(2020)

What Happened?
johnhow-825893 October 2020
How did Ryan Phillipe end up in this project? The execution of each scene, camera work, dialogue and action sequences are just not coming together. You can tell how a film is going to go in the first 5 minutes. Actually 2 minutes. I stopped watching after 5 minutes even with fast forwarding.
66 out of 70 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
93 Minutes I will never get back in my life
RdC19913 September 2020
Interesting premise for a movie but appalling acting and even worse continuity. It just did not work no matter how hard I wanted it to. Save yourself the pain and suffering.
120 out of 137 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The 2nd it starts it's bad
andrew_travers6 September 2020
Ryan Phillippe and Casper van Dien need to look elsewhere for work than these terrible movie choices. They're both capable and watchable but need better scripts than this. Why not try tv?! Action should never be dull. The 2nd will never finish 1st!
88 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laughably bad (spoilers)
wildcat326886 September 2020
The trailer for this movie was better than the entire movie. Terrible acting, corny and badly written dialogue, plot holes abound. Predictable story? Check! Goofy kill shots? Check! Swordfighting? Check! I expected more from Ryan Phillippe. The only reason I gave it two stars was because of how enjoyable it was to make fun of it.
46 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Bad movie... very poor acting
lboogy92 September 2020
My title says it up pretty well, the acting is very poor the dialogues/writing is stupid... What they call action scenes are so obvious and very poorly executed... I am very disappointed in Ryan Philippe , he usually is way better than that, What happened to him to play in such a bad movie ?
71 out of 84 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I haven't seen such a badly made movie since the 90ies
gorobchik23 October 2020
The conversations, characters' actiins, action / fight scenes are lame, unbelievable, laughable. I was fast forwarding when watching became unbearable which is pretty often. If you don't know how to totally waste your time, that's a great choice.
37 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Barely a B movie
tesslittrell-882842 September 2020
Wow. I'm so sad. Purchased this movie on the day it came out because I love Ryan Phillipe. This has to be his worst movie ever. The dialogue is that of a first semester film student, at best. The action sequences are slow and drawn out, to a painful point. There is a lot of stopping to say something..... stupid.

Best part of the movie? All of the subtitles that say "uuugghhh" "Argh" and "aggressive grunt". Hahahaha

Skip it. Watch the Lincoln Lawyer again if you are looking for a Phillipe movie.
79 out of 96 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't waist your time watching
derrickbuckner6 October 2020
Predictable, bad acting, dumb and so, so unrealistic. SPOILER ALERT: For instance, the gun fight scene in the stairwell, I counted Ryan Phillips shooting his gun 34 times without reloading... Then there is the motorcycle/van/car chase scene: bad guys can't seem to shoot in Ryan riding above the roof, and his son after riding like a daredevil on the motorcycle some how manages to fall/wreck on his own, but the worst and most unbelievable scene is the Ryan Phillip son, who after getting shot in the back/shoulder gets in physical fight an acts as if he was never shot. Terrible direction, terrible continuity, just plan terrible movie. If I could give it a negative 0 I would!!!!
29 out of 33 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow what happened?
elena-zdraveska4 September 2020
Momentum Pictures presents a Lucid Film production in association with Fury Film Franchise it looks like a movies from the 50s. Looks and sounds like a low budget film. This isn't an action film. Didn't do a good job at all in any of it. Scenes weren't thought out well. Bad angles bad lighting bad music bad acting bad story line. I was looking forward to this movie with Ryan he was great and the other two well know actors Casper Van Dien and Richard Bergi also great. I'm so sad this was so bad :((
43 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
C list at best
YourMyWifeNow4 September 2020
The 2nd doesn't quite make it as a B movie. Poor casting is mostly to blame, but the script and direction are appalling. Casper Van Dien has a vague star quality about him, but is poorly cast as the baddie. The 'climatic' fight sequence is absolutely laughable. The whole film isn't quite 'so bad it's entertaining', as 'so bad it's actually verging on very bad'. Luckily for our damsel in distress, there happens to be a teenager out to rescue her who can defeat a whole squad of ex-special forces soldiers with a few punches. The funniest part of the film is where he teleports out of a building to save Erin at the last moment. Another couple of things worth mentioning is that the Director of the CIA appears to live in a tiny flat like the cheap, scummy flat I lived in when I was out of work and Ryan Phillippe seems to be about ten years older than Jack Griffo who plays his son. The set up at the end for a sequel is embarrassing. Let's hope there isn't a 'The 3rd'.
35 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Barely makes the 2nd star out of 10.
mcquade-216575 September 2020
The script is so terrible that it could have been written by a 12 year old, and the directing is even worse. Some of the main actors try hard but their lines are just plain cringe worthy. I find it difficult to believe that people get paid to make movies this bad.
34 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No... Just No
cozen3 September 2020
I agree with other reviewers, the acting is bad. Ryan Phillips does a fairly decent job despite what he was given. But the story writing was horrendous and no amount of good acting could make this movie good.

Cheesy action scenes, one where they're fighting and the guy stops and to say a cheesy line and leaves by vanishing behind the doorway. He eventually comes back. It's dumb... and really bad writing.

Worse is the ending, because there isn't one. Not for the judgement on the 2nd amendment and not for Ryan Phillips' character. In the end we're left with "who are these guy that just showed up out of no where?"

There's 2nd amendment under tones in here. It was as if the writers and producers were confused with issues on gun laws. They're bad but in order to make a good movie we need guns and violence. You could clearly see the conflicting messages in it.

Dumb movie, dumb writing, and cringe worthy acting.
30 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst acting ever
robandkanik2 September 2020
What a waste of time. Worst acting by every actor and actress.
49 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cringey dialogue throughout, Ryan's worst film in years
Xavier_Stone2 September 2020
Opening lines Man "Hello?" Man 2 "Child, is that you?" Man "Yes, Father. I'm listening."

This exchange accurately sums up the quality of the movie ahead. Ryan and others have such terrible lines it's painful. Throw in a few first time actors playing college students along with some poor action scenes and this one is a bomb from start to finish.

Ryan is listed as a producer. Brian Skiba listed as a director, it says he directed 22 films since 2009 but none of them are noteworthy. Add this one to the list.
49 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
how the hell this gets any stars?!!
HalKubrick1 October 2020
Written and played by stunts while the director was asleep..
24 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Don't bother........
akgoa3 September 2020
The movie is ridiculous on all levels. An excuse for fight scenes, gun violence and blow up things. The plot was thin and tiresome!
40 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Low production value
Plazeebo1 September 2020
After Shooter we've seen that Ryan Phillipe can act the role of a soldier. But it needs proper direction and cinematography.

The action sequences looks like someone is playing, and then a few muscle flashes has been edited in afterwards.

Acting is bad. Effects are bad. Score is bad. It's just a bad movie (which could have been great)
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
B-movie at best
msubsea6 September 2020
Cliches, poor acting , even worse story and plot. Horrible , had high hopes due with Phillipe but this was just sad...
23 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
In one word Terrible
peterwalter-424883 October 2020
In one word Terrible , one of the worst films I have seen , could not watch it right through it is that bad , the acting very bad
20 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amateur hour, with a side of cheese.
TopDawgCritic12 September 2020
Experienced director Brian Skiba seemed like this was his first directing job. Long dragged out scenes, especially the fights and gun battles - to the point of ridiculousness. Were the fights choreographed by the WWE? The writing by the two newb writers was terrible. Too many cliched, sappy and cheesy lines. A 5th grader could've done better. So one of the bad girls just happens to have two swords in her bag? Ya, ok. Way too many dumb plot and technical issues. The 93 min runtime felt way too long with the unnecessary long dragged out and ridiculous scenes. Was this film even edited? The score was ok for a B-grade film, and the acting was decent for the most part, as was the cinematography. That's about it. A generous 4/10 from me.
29 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Awful... just awful.
medicrblanchard1 December 2020
It plays like the old, badly dubbed Kung fu movies but worse. Storyline is scattered and disjointed. The acting bipolar in the best of scenes. Makeup and lighting were horribly inconsistent. The whole thing feels like SOCKS ON A ROOSTER.
16 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Holy smokes
raulsrec2 December 2020
This movie is awesome if you're looking to see how terrible a movie can be. I just couldn't stop watching. Felt the same way as when I'm on the casino losing money and I know I need to leave but I can't. I wanted to change it so bad I just couldn't. Now I'm wondering if Ryan Phillips had a family member kidnapped and was forced to do this movie.
10 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too many flaws
lenwenzellw9 September 2020
Technically there are just too many things wrong with this one unless you are completely mindless. From a security standpoint no-one properly trained in security during the intro would A: Permit a cell phone unless it was in a secure transmission blocking case or bag. B: A bodyguards job is to take the bullet instead of the client. That said if there were bulletproof vests, the client would wear one. C: While in transit blending in is important a vehicle that could outrun, and stand up to impacts is a priority. D: If the client is running for president they get secret service. E: No trained security would be chatting about their day and joking while on task. This is all in the first two minutes of the film. What a joke. Than there is a host of other tactical, and technical errors. What SF operator leaves enemies behind alive? Wow then there is six blocks of C4 going off, and leaving people 100 feet away alive which is virtually impossible. The acting has no emotions appropriate to the scene. The acting is wooden, the characters unbelievable, the direction is almost non existent. The script is a real dog of a script, better put out of its misery. Never mind about the sets, casting, etc., etc. Do yourself a favour, unless you are a fan boy, or girl, give this one a miss.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
poor acting
llahr1 September 2020
Slow, predictable and poor acting. who ever filmed did a poor job. w9rse then B rating.
23 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I kept waiting for it to get better... it never dis
megsmalcolm12 September 2020
I created an account on IMDb for the sole purpose of leaving a garbage review for a truly awful movie.

I literally cannot convey how bad this movie was. I hate myself for watching it all the way through.

The acting was bad - like, they were all playing caricatures of themselves... ohhh look at me! I'm a super bad guy with evil intentions mwahahaaa!! The writing was bad. The "special" effects were anything but. The decisions that were made by the lead characters were things that no one in their right mind would ever do, think, or say. The plot holes were a mile wide.

For the love of god, save your time and watch anything else. Watching the Kardashians wack each other with purses would be a more productive use of your time.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.