Xtreme (2021) Poster

(2021)

Great action but bad stroyline...still watchable!
hambrickh6 June 2021
This is the classic 90s action movie. The fighting is great but the reason for the fights are horrible. Too many fake are you serious moments.i wish it was better written. Worth the watch though.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great choreography obscured by poor filmography
jfjet6 June 2021
I really wanted to like this action flick more, and it's obvious that Teo Garcia was a real trained martial artist. But the terrible filmography didn't allow him to showcase his skills. Every punch and kick, and reaction, were cut to a new camera angle, making it feel hectic but you don't get a flow of the action sequences. The underground garage scene could've been a great opportunity to pay homage to the long one-take action scenes from Old Boy and others, but they chose to stand still and wait for each opponent to run to him instead. So much unrealized potential with this film.
10 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Crime / martial arts revenge flick
chris-j-chuba10 June 2021
Nothing original but so what. When you watch the Olympics, you know the gymnast, skater, diver is going to ... and the judges still give them a high score based on how well they do it.

1. Evil villain that you want to see killed - 10+, this guy is despicable, fantastic villainy.

2. Fight sequences - 9, some gun fights (yawn), lots of martial arts (yay), and stabbing, lots and lots of stabbing.

3. Story line - 6, enough to hold 1 and 2 together.

Acting not graded, mostly irrelevant, the heroes are always the same, don't kill in cold blood (this one has plot convenient lapses), look like you are about to lose then triumph. Villains are the only ones who seem to have fun in these types of movies and this one was over the top.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
90's action movie vibe
sir_paulsen4 June 2021
I'm a huge fan of "B" movies that actually delivers good actors and great entertainment. This was one of those. Mix a good Jean Claude Van Damme movie with Scott Adkins Avengement ,and there you go. Sit back enjoy the fighting and blood shed ,and a story from the textbook. I enjoyed it and had a blast.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun action movie. nothing more.
Bone30115 June 2021
A John Wick-style film. Action scenes with dozens of people against one.

The formula of a teenager, a woman and a tormented hero - very unnatural in this case.

Fun action movie. Nothing more.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A little more effort in the writing, and this would've been much more enjoyable.
Top_Dawg_Critic8 June 2021
This film wasn't too shabby considering it was put together by novice filmmakers, but the issues in the writing was an easy fix. It was too melodramatic to the point of borderline childish scenarios, with major continuity issues, plot-hole riddled screenplay, choppy scenes, and it was overly predictable. The fights were decent, for a B film, but there were some that were just ridiculous and unrealistic - nowhere near John Wick action sequences that someone compared this film with. Nevertheless, it was entertaining, especially considering the slim-pickings out there for action films.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Throwback To Hollywood's Ultra-Violence Of The 80s/90s
cyguration7 June 2021
Combine one-part of John Wick with one-part of Steven Seagal's Hard To Kill one-part Taken and one-part John Woo's Hard Boiled and you get Xtreme, a fairly decent outing from director Daniel Benmayor.

I was pleasantly surprised at how masculine this movie is. We really don't get many movies like this anymore where the lead is a hard-boiled, no-nonsense killer with some legitimate martial arts skills on display and some satisfying gun-fu to match.

A lot of the low-ratings are from people who obviously aren't fans of Hollywood's ultra-violent macho-films from the 1980s and 1990s. I guess they went in expecting feminist lectures on "toxic masculinity"? In any case, it's obvious that the only reason Netflix has this movie on their service is because it's foreign made; Spanish, to be exact.

There's no subversion afoot in this film, it's pretty straightforward even though the cover art might give you the impression that it's some sort of ensemble buddy-up flick where a group of vigilantes take on the bad guy. That's far from the case here. The film is anchored mostly by Teo Garcia's ruthlessly engaging portrayal as Maximo, a top-of-the-line hitman and assassin out for revenge.

The film does a fantastic job of setting up the main villain, Lucero, played with devilish charm by Óscar Jaenada.

Don't expect vanilla-tier "current year" villainy from Jaenada's character, though. He's absolutely evil down to the bone. Again, this is a throwback to the villains of yesteryears, in particular he channels a lot of Billy Drago's Ramon Cota from Delta Force 2, but in his own sadistic little way. And there's no shortage of bodies, including villains not afraid to harm and kill women, men and children. They're really bad guys.

It makes it all the more satisfying seeing them get their comeuppance in this film, done with a mixture of classic Hong Kong-inspired fight choreography and John Wick/Taken-themed shootouts. It's not a big budgeted film and sometimes the editing is a little over-done and some scenes drag on too long, but they are what they are.

The fight scenes are entertaining, even though they aren't particularly memorable, and the shootouts are cathartic. With the spotlight of the film on a heroic, masculine lead beating the bad guys into a pulp and shooting his way to retribution, what more could you possibly ask for from a budget-production action flick out of Barcelona, Spain?

Well worth the watch for fans of the classic 80s/90s action film genre.
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strong action
beeandwax5 June 2021
Plot is a little bit weak. But the action sequences seems to bury all the loose ends. As all ways English dubbing was weak. False emotions whatsoever. Netflix needs to work on English dubbing of its European content.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very generic action movie
hydralien-402305 June 2021
It's (mostly) nicely done, but it's very generic, with just a basic background to give characters some reasons and then it's better not to think about those reasons too much. Fighting scenes are done mostly well, but even those are too predictable and exaggerated at times. It's an OK action flick, but it doesn't stand out in any part (except maybe some nice Barcelona views).
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
with a storyline...
ops-525355 June 2021
A few jisms above the nano scale, but with a 50 megaton actionbomb to depleat any misunderstandings, this spanish barcelonabased mafiacrimefilm really hits hard on the door to any actiongore and actionblood fantast. Its relentless revenge for all its worth, even a grumpy old man like me gets pretty engaged in how to hit the perputrator where it hurts most.

Wonderful acting, superb fights, some draw the comparision to an american triology, but its quite some other physical dimensions on the main caracter of this film therefore it beats even harder.

The soundtrack and score made for the film enhance the violence that at times do outrun the worthyness of the word overkill, so brace for impact and attack is the keyword when attending this film. Do see it on the big screen and let the subwoofers blast your mums crystal chandeleres because this is good spanish action, though with a story like h.c,andersens emperors new clothes. A recommend.

P.s. Try to find the original spanish audio version when using ntflx.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Story unrealistic with bad acting but tons of action
jon-226434 June 2021
I can only recommend the actions scenes, a lot of time and money were put there, the plot is lame and makes no sense, no twists or anything clever, too basic, a simple crime-action.
9 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Great And Not Terrible Either - A One Time Watch Only
dwp19484 June 2021
Lots of over-the-top shoot-em-up gunfire/killin and lots of not-very-believable fight scenes that look staged. The acting overall was ok but most of it lacked the reality that we always look for in movies but I still think it's worth watching at least once. Two times would be one time to many. You decide as always what you watch?
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What nonsense did I just watch
schrilax9 June 2021
When you are left wondering in a movie why the hell did that happen and end up doing an *eye-roll* and not once but multiple times, you know for sure you are in for a great time. Stupid plot + actors whose faces seem to be made from plastic and bereft of emotion + a bunch of confused characters + a stupid teen who seems to create trouble for the protagonist at every opportunity he gets + horribly choreographed action sequences will leave deeply irritated and utterly exasperated and wanting the torture to end. Another terrible movie on Netflix collection. Give it a miss.
8 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flat and boring
searchanddestroy-15 June 2021
This is the kind of filmwhich you can live without. No problem. The usual perfectly forgettable flick, as there were hundreds of this kind before. NOTHING at all exceptional. Good fights, OK, in the JOHN WICK style. I lost my time watching this straight to garbage trunk junk. Shame on me.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
classic action you might have seen before
mario-defelipe5 June 2021
It is a more asian rather than western movie, with explicit violence. Whoever is used to seeing Hong Kong action movies, and likes John Woo's classics like "hard boiled" or "a better tomorrow", will like this movie.
6 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Plotholes... so many.
neji-san7 June 2021
Its not a movie i would recommend to friends but still its a solid action movie and good to see once. What really bothered me were those many wtf moments, when I asked myself why? And how?
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not remotely John Wick
robpgh7 June 2021
Those saying this is "Spanish John wick"... Among about 100 things I could list... Only takes one... John Wick has to reload his guns and/or take them from others.

The main character has a revolver that must be able to hold 70 bullets in the opening scene... That was enough for me to turn it off.
4 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brainless action movie with some good action scenes
satin-482505 June 2021
Some action scenes are quite good, some are John Wick's style. The story couldn't be more basic.

The main actor, Teo García bears an uncanny resemblance to Rami Malek. He really looks like an older brother of his.
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun action movie
MikeWindgren7 June 2021
I agree, English dubs are not very well, and neither are Dutch subs. (I suppose subs in other languages are also not that well).

Nevertheless I enjoyed it. Some raw action and bloodshed.

When you like action movies you will like it for sure.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The beauty of martial art
DaegT7 June 2021
Another movie of "muscles-are-stronger-than-mind". This subgenre was once very popular in the 80s and 90s. So first things first this movie gives me an impression of a long-gone nostalgia. And indeed we could probably dedicate it to the martial art stars in that era.

Muscles are stronger than mind. Ok, so we can forget about the plot. Not a single minute of the movie makes sense at all, and so not a single minute can i find any cops in the movie. It's a gangsters world and the baddies can do whatever they want. And Max is a superhero specialised in combat skills so he never dies.

If you wanna enjoy 2 hours of Adrenalin-pumping actions, then thats pretty much all you can expect. Go for it n have a good time. If you yell and get sleepless for plotholes, do NOT even take a glimpse of it. Not even a long range shot will u like it.

I would recommend it to my friends who love martial art movies.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Did Someone Say Action?
chrisbrooks-192599 June 2021
Do you enjoy guns, knives, sword, martial arts and bloodshed? Then this movie is for you! The storyline is good enough so grab your popcorn and enjoy.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Pathetic direction..
henrykaye4 June 2021
Full action with boring direction.

Gukjvhjb gkk ghj Chjk.
7 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Spanish John wick
valleyjohn5 June 2021
Imagine John Wick was Spanish and the bad guy , his brother , had not just killed his dog but his whole family as well . He then sets out to kill anyone in his way , then you have some idea of what Xtreme is like.

I really enjoyed this .

Basically it's a martial arts movie set in Barcelona but with much more gore and death than the average Kung Fu flick .

It is a highly choreographed film , which is why I compared it to John Wick and it looks fantastic on Netflix UHD.

It does have the feel of a computer game at times with one after another taking on Max the mental geriatric hit man and each dropping like flies but I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

There are some good performances from Teo Garcia , who as far as I can see has done nothing on screen before this film , and Oscar Jaenada who plays the evil brother , obsessed with Japanese culture .

If you like violent revenge movies then you will love this . If you don't , then I wouldn't bother .

Available on Netflix.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Spanish version of John Wick
georgik_g936 June 2021
Tho is not such a great master piece, i enjoyed the action part of the movie.

Prays for the Leos, their acting was spot on.
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great movie
amin-091622 July 2021
An absolute must-watch action, martial and crime movie.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.