La Brea (TV Series 2021– ) Poster

(2021– )

Sci Fi Channel programming
Craig-fikes30 September 2021
Not a bad premise but atrocious writing and Sharknado levels of CGI. I tried making a drinking game from this show, every time someone said something ridiculous I took a drink, I was just discharged from the hospital with alcohol poisoning.
177 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not Even Sleestaks Could Save Thise
katharineshowalter15 October 2021
It appears as if a gritty LAND OF THE LOST reboot script rejected even by SyFy landed in some NBC's exec's lap in a public restroom, and sitting there he said, "Hey, if I take this thin concept for a two-hour throwaway B-movie that might actually have been silly fun and stretch it out into a multi-year series, I might have the new LOST!" But LOST was bad, although cleverly launched. LA BREA is bad from the get-go, poor direction, poor writing, poor acting, poor CGI. The sole joy of the show, watching Natalie Zea look sultry, is not enough to keep me tuning into this ever again. This show really is the pits and should be made extinct sooner than later.
17 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wanted to like it from the previews...
s00nerjeff29 September 2021
But it was just so bad we were actually making jokes throughout the first episode. The writing was so bad the actors suffered. I've read reviews from others about bad acting and that was my first take as well. However I've seen some of them in other shows that they did well, so I can't say bad acting but instead just really poorly written material. And the CGI was so bad it felt worse than a C movie on the Syfy network. I guess it's probably a good thing I'm not getting hooked on this show because these are the types of shows we see year after year that hook you in and then the networks cancels them and we never see a finished story.
120 out of 140 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Monumentally Bad Writing
mcgooganz29 September 2021
The first sentence in this teleplay:. Stuck squarely in traffic the driver says to her children "Why is driving such a difficult concept in this city?." What follows is equally meaningless, a world where even gravity has lost its mind.
103 out of 125 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Made for Immediate Cancellation
reviewer-6103230 September 2021
We watched the whole pilot because I think we were in a state of total disbelief. "It can't really be THIS bad, can it? It has to settle in and get better, doesn't it? Maybe it's supposed to be a comedy?"

The most atrocious network premiere I've seen in years, and that's saying something. Disjointed, inconsistent, ludicrous writing with absolutely no original premise to build on; in just one episode there are already plot holes evident that are large enough to drive one of the actor's dressing-room trailers through; cardboard, unbelievable characters that you just know were summed up in a notebook somewhere on set with "two dominant characteristics plus one 'fatal flaw'"; and in an era where we've come to expect halfway decent CGI effects, this looks like it was done as a 7th-grade project by kids just learning Adobe Premiere and After Effects. In fact, I'll bet I could take a group of interested 7th graders and have them doing a better job in 30 days.

I feel sorry for the actors who thought they were getting an exciting, innovative, network prime-time drama. It's difficult to fault some of the shoddy work we saw in the first episode: it must have been like being told you were getting a Maserati and then being handed a bottle of glue and a 1/64th-scale, plastic, assemble-it-yourself model.

There are no doubt episodes already in the can that are a sunk cost for NBC, so I'm certain those will air. But the best and most humane thing the network could do right now is cease and desist, and mercifully let this travesty be put out of its misery and vanish from memory once those already-produced episodes air.
68 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another embarrassing NBC pile of crap...
podein29 September 2021
NBC hires 12 year olds again to write another show for them. Absolutely pathetic writing. Awful casting with horrible acting. Full of cancelled series actors. Embarrassing CGI. And the same old greedy NBC crap riddled with 4 minute commercial breaks every 5 minutes.

Hope everyone has other job options. If this makes it through a season, it'll be a huge surprise.
114 out of 141 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Unintentional comedy, watch it with friends and make fun of it to enjoy.
dmonbman29 September 2021
It takes mere moments to determine that this is the kind of show one must watch with friends in the spirit of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

It's not as bonkers as Aftermath, but few shows ever have been. Either way sit down with some popcorn and begin the fun by poking fun at it. Do not in any way try to take this viewing experience seriously otherwise you will not enjoy it.
81 out of 99 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underwhelming
Xavier_Stone29 September 2021
I admit I looked forward to another show about time travel and such and was hoping for something decent. It's not going to be Lost but it still could be watchable.

After 10 mins my expectations lowered and I struggled to finish the pilot. Horrendous dialogue that feels like they are being fed their lines through ear pieces, zero timing with lots of pauses for effect. The acting is way below the minimum level for a prime time tv show. Unrealistic characters and of course the government and military are working behind the scenes and some guy can see things.

I really didn't mind the budget CGI, I mean it's a tv show and I don't expect Avatar level effort here. They should have spent more on the script, plot and acting.

The best part is at the end of the pilot they give you the summary for the entire season. More CGI animals, bigger of course, and a rescue mission. Awesome, now I never have to wonder what was going to happen on a show I'll never watch again.

All in all this is just bad. It feels like everyone is racing around a maze and trying to get to their spots and sprout their lines before the camera battery quits. So many issues with this show I can't list them all, I'm sure others will add to this soon enough.

I would bet this gets cancelled before the finale as the viewership will nose dive in subsequent shows with more people watching one and done.
126 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
La Moronic
jonasatmosfera13 October 2021
"The Land of the Lost", compared to this dumpster fire, is deserving of Nobel Prize in Literature and Physics.

OK, I agree that there must some suspension of disbelief, and that these shows are not about science.

But, nothing seems to work in "La Brea" . Nothing makes sense, even if we account that things should not make that much sense.

There are too many side stories, too many characters. The dialog and the situations are atrocious.

Instead of having a show about people trying to survive in an alternate reality, we have a show where we are exposed to the same reality we live in, with all of its problems. So, what is the point?
53 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I gave it a chance, but... No
lusciousmuffins14 October 2021
I really like Natalie Zea as an actress, so I was looking forward to this.

I also really enjoyed a similar Fox show from several years ago, Terra Nova.

Consequently, I watched all three episodes of this wanting to give it a chance, but I am officially out.

There is simply too much going on.

I enjoy complex plots and scripted dramas with larger casts, but La Brea throws everything and the kitchen sink at you, all at once.

There isn't a lot of subtlety or mystery, just a lot of contrived drama tacked onto every character.

Making matters worse, it is all strung together by a concept that has in fact been explored far better by other shows.

Not to be unkind, but this is no Terra Nova; in fact, this isn't even a rival to Land of the Lost when it comes to entertainment value.

The other major flaw is that the dialog is painfully bad.

For example, you cannot forget the main character's name is Eve because they remind you every second.

This is so poorly written that you almost feel bad for the actors as they struggle with a script that was composed by someone incapable of creating even one exchange that doesn't come across as awkward and stilted.

While the fantastical can be a challenging genre to sell to an audience, the writers for La Brea make even mundane exchanges between the characters sound natural.

Instead, it seems as though the characters exist primarily to deliver exposition.

With so few scripted shows left on television, it is heartbreaking that they wasted such a large budget and such talented actors on such a poorly constructed and uninspired show.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG this show is God awful!!
ifsixwasnine-sw10 November 2021
How is this still on the air? No one can like this show, they just tolerate it. I keep watching to how bad it will get. If this show gets renewed there's no hope for humanity.
9 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where Was The Pregnant Woman Giving Birth...
choupstar30 September 2021
I mean ALL of the other disaster movie clichés were there.

Horrible writing, horrible acting. Get high and watch it with friends as a joke.
37 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jules Verne is turning over in his grave.
crosshatch16 October 2021
Anyone who "enjoyed" this has some seriously low expectations. Calling it "cliche' is an insult to cliches.

Some of the reviews say, "Give it a chance", or, "I'll wait and see."

I couldn't bear the entire episode. No offense, but even if we were to consider it a comedy, it failed.

The only thing realistic and believable was the LA traffic jam. And even that required 'suspension of disbelief' as there is no way anyone could have maneuvered out of that.

A washed up guy being the only one that can 'fix' things? Really? Thats a novel idea. And

I never could figure out how, in a densley populated area with millions one person can find their loved one...in just a few moments.

Sorry, but it doesn't deserve a 2nd chance from me. I just don't have that much time to waste.

Stinkhole, not sinkhole.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wow this is bad
nmgraham30 September 2021
The writing is so terrible I can't tell if the actors are bad or just working with pathetic material. This will not last so there is no point in investing any more time in it.
35 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a joke right?
matvop29 September 2021
Terrible acting paired with really bad writing. There is no way this show makes it more than one season.
65 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
...prediction
dustin-8676229 September 2021
Prediction is it's canceled after 3 episodes . This show sucks. I've seen better cgi on zoom conferences and better story telling by a 3 year old. Epic fail.
87 out of 118 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Makes Manifest look like art
frosted_tearz29 September 2021
Thought Manifest had the worst acting ever but this? This is just next level. Good to remind you why broadcast is dead.
37 out of 47 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The worst humanity has to offer
jaimemedina-362882 October 2021
I made it 14 mins in and I just couldn't take it anymore. It is without a doubt the stupidest thing I've seen in a while. The idiocy of the plot is matched only the assorted cast of dim wits trying to act.
59 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
No more originality in Hollywood
mls418220 October 2021
I don't know what is worse, having to rely on the boring La Brea tar pits as a story line or the really cartoonist CGI. This is so bad it doesn't even have camp value.
29 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nope
jacquelinesandra-3467115 October 2021
Starts with a great idea but doesn't deliver. The writing is very poor, the acting is horrendous, as for the special effect it will hurt your eyes. The mention of Lost made me laugh, we are very far from it lol.
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
LA Blah
freqflyer6029 September 2021
Terrible show. Story line is horrible combined with bad acting. CGI graphics is not believable.
45 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Poorly written dialogue
knedb28 October 2021
Truly listen to the dialogue each episode. You will see it all sucks... every line. That said, I do enjoy the plot of the show. It has a great sci fi idea. But these generic blah lines without good character development just won't cut it for a season two. No doubt this show is cancelled after one season. Find better/smarter writers!!!
22 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
After just 15 mins I wanted a second sinkhole to open under my feet
radanovstanko29 September 2021
Three things that sucks in this movie: 1. Bad writing 2. Bad acting 3 The sinkhole.
32 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Who green lit this pilot?!
ajklein-1720429 September 2021
I was excited to see this, but it only took 15 minutes for me to realize it was a fail. High school drama class quality acting! It won't last the season.
80 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Episode one is enough
kenorton-246-49515530 September 2021
Horrible acting, incredibly stupid plot, bad, bad, bad. After the special effects of the ground collapse the outright absurdity begins. Wow. Who thought this was ready for prime time?
19 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.