The Rite (2011)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 20 items
|MPAA||Rated PG-13 for disturbing thematic material, violence, frightening images, and language including sexual references|
Sex & Nudity
- The pregnant girl delivers a dead baby (not explicit), clothes and bed covered with blood.
- A pregnant woman thrashes and screams "Rape me" (she is possessed and the scene is only a couple seconds)
- It is talked about that a teen was raped by her father
- Some sexual dialogue including a scene where it is implied a seminarian has been having casual sex with his waitress. She has a sexual nickname for him, "Lickety-Split" (implying oral sex). Later in the film, the possessed woman calls him the same name and smacks her lips as she does so.
- A possessed man calls a woman a slut and says she has "nice titties"
Violence & Gore
- young pregnant woman is retrained at the hands and feet to a hospital bed, she thrashes (we hear bones cracking), she spits at a window in the direction of the Vatican, she scratches the wall with her fingernails making a screeching noise, her face becomes darkened by veins pushing to the skin's surface, large bugs gather around her bed, we see blood on the blanket between her legs, and she thrashes and moans while we watch medical monitors that show the fetus twitch and the heartbeat monitor goes flat (we hear that both the young woman and the baby died).
- A young pregnant woman rolls her eyes back in her head, she scratches at the arms of a chair and her scalp frantically, she growls in a deep voice, stretches causing loud cracking sounds, gurgles and retches like she is going to vomit but does not, and yells at a priest attempting to perform an exorcism; he yells at her and then she is calm.
- A man stumbles on a sidewalk and falls into a street causing a bicyclist to swerve into the path of a van and thrown into the windshield; she lands on the street (we see her bruised and bloody face and her twisted leg) and she dies.
- A man lunges toward a woman and strangles her (her eyes turn bloody) and another man strikes the attacker on the back with a stick; the woman falls to the floor and we see her with a bruise on her neck, but she's OK later.
- We see and hear what we are told is people who are possessed by demons: we see photos of a man whose jaw was dislocated, a woman thrashes and has dark circles under her eyes, a woman's eyes turn white and her flesh darkens by veins at the skin's surface, and we hear people yelling in booming, gravely voices, and women screaming.
- A man was suddenly strangled in the neck by unseen person's face in his funeral home. It is his dream.
- Father Lucas slaps the child in the park.
- Nearly an end of the movie, Father Lucas was being possessed by demon.
- 1 abuse of "Christ" and 1 misuse of "Jesus."
- 1 F-word, 4 scatological terms, 4 anatomical terms, 5 mild obscenities, few uses of dick
- Name calling: doubter... etc.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- 2 young men drink beer.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- The scenes involving demonic possession and the idea of hell can be intense for some viewers. Constant dark themes throughout.
- A demon, speaking through a person, says something very like "S*** on the Holy Spirit!"