Dune (2021) Poster

(2021)

3,912 Reviews
My movie of 2021, so far.
Sleepin_Dragon23 October 2021
It's been amazing being back in cinemas after last year, I have seen some good films, and some shockers, this though, is the first great film of the year for me.

The story is somehow easier to follow than in the last adaptation, motives and actions are easier to see and follow. I felt as though the book had come to life here, even if there are a couple of changes.

The acting is impressive, as is the music, the visuals however are the most incredible thing about this film, it looks awe inspiring. The battles are epic, the staging is impressive, you almost feel close to the action, I cannot praise that element highly enough.

When I saw Part one, I was a little surprised, I was a little more surprised by the ending, I only hope the wait isn't too long.

Pacing, considering where the film ends, it never felt slow or drawn out, I was captivated from start to finish.

Truly, I was blown away, 10/10.
856 out of 1,253 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is This How Lowbrow Breeders Are?
metallian-validor-gay17 November 2021
The son and mother take their clothes off for each other. Unfortuantely, at least I could see that part because the screen was quite dark and even though it happens in a desert I could not see much.

Yikes.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A grandiose, beautiful, magnificent movie about nothing.
sibaris17 September 2021
It's definitely a well-directed film. The music is beautiful and the desert views intended to show us the planet Arrakis are impressive. But unfortunately, there is practically nothing behind the beautiful exterior. Even if Villeneuve filmed only half of the first book, this half was supposed to introduce us to the universe and many main and secondary characters. Unfortunately, the duration of 2.5 hours for the director was only enough to briefly introduce the main characters and slightly describe the situation in the galaxy. Too little time has been given to supporting characters. Some are presented, but not disclosed. Especially disappointed by Liet-Kains, his line was cut to almost zero.

Bottom line.

The universe of Dune is very extensive and it is extremely difficult to film even one book in less than 3-4 films with a similar timing.

It would be better if they made a series. With a budget like Game of Thrones. They would most likely be successful .

A film can only be watched for the sake of a beautiful picture and wonderful music.

5/10.

Sorry for the mistakes. English is not my native language. Used google translate.
815 out of 1,337 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
TIFF is for lowbrow followers
viva-nature14 November 2021
This film is not only boring and hollow, but also a silly generic attempt to make money and get filler content of prequel, sequel and TV series for HBP Max. Because these stupid platforms need to fill up with something and get the easily conned hooked with monthly subscriptions junk like this will keep on a coming.

The marketers and PR folk at the Legendary Studio based in China put the keyword 'epic' in the press release and right in cue a bunch of no-brain easily-fooled critics, film festivals and reviewers received signal and loved this film sight unseen 10/10.

Works like a charm

With the massive success of this marketing campaign, the aforementioned need for filler and Chinese/Hollywood's lack of creativity people will soon be rating The Hangover remake, Superman remake, Black Widow remake (yes Hollywood's cycle of remakes is becoming shorter), Wonder Woman remake and of course Battlefield Earth remake 10/10 too.

As long as... you guessed it... remake.
52 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Flat characters and dull movie...
dante_125 November 2021
Flat characters and dull story telling.

I was expecting a real block buster but maybe my expectations was too high.

I was looking for more build up of the characters but here you find yourself right to the point.

Slow pace story telling.

The visual of the film is fantastic. And the.
18 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
DUNE - Another Villeneuve film liked 10/10 by Fabled Gentleman the day of release
denis-no-talent-new-town21 September 2021
That within an hour got 100 likes and made it the top review.

"Hi Mrs. Villeneueve (mom)"

In reality boy was I bored and what's more I saw it on the big screen. No wonder the cinema was half empty even though it was released in limited fashion to 1 theatre and 1 theatre only.

It just drags on and seems the actors and actresses think they can hide behind the expensive effects.

Warning: no conclusion. The story is left hanging.
321 out of 515 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It Should win an Oscar
ransel-lopez-tech30 September 2021
It was that boring!

This Made Me Feel Stupider

This movie makes no sense I feel like the acting was OK but the Terribly Scripted movie was just a big mess Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen I Don't Understand how Anyone liked This Movie and I don't understand how this is a film. 🙄
263 out of 419 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Where Have you Gone? Oh Where Have you Gone?
dours122 November 2021
Where are the storytellers? Where are those who could tell a story? Where are those who could assemble a yarn, develop a screenplay, write a script and craft a narrative?

They have all left Hollywood and they have not even gone to China with Legendary Studio either!

So, where are you? I need you and your movies back. Tell me for which country's films you write now so I can seek you out.

Boring, drab, slow and bereft of a meaning does not help mechanical robots ('new 'actors'). 2/10.
26 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I Was Not Tired
dirk_schneider23 September 2021
But the film put me to sleep so I missed half an hour of it and the rest was not anymore exciting either. Slow Slow Slow... and the hue if off it only has one blue/grey colour.

Boring and slow about nothing really.
280 out of 448 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fantastic
dexter-ang-ca29 September 2021
When the e-mail came I was kinda dreading it.

After all, should we watch the film first? Or shouldn't they give us a little bonus for writing these reviews?

OK fine. I will watch it. So I watched it.

IT WAS GREAT!

I hate story, art, characters, entertainment and I really hate endings. I hate it when a film concludes. That is stupid! I prefer no ending so they tell me 'you have to come again, pay again to watch a sequel (or 4).

And this film had none of those things that I hate so the email to the department was not a bad thing 10/10.
108 out of 165 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This Is A review For My Wife's Other Man
Dean-grey-ca3 November 2021
Please don't read unless you are Joe.

This is a great film. You should go watch it. In fact, you should go watch it multiple times. You should take my wife with you. Then she will totally leave me for you. She will be entertained and amused and adore your good taste and choice sin life.

The film is meaningful, fast-paced and entertaining. It is very hip, concise and original.

Go for it!
48 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Studio Executives Look Sullen
priest-of-syrinx2 October 2021
They were rubbing their hands in glee hoping for a FRANCHISE!!, a SEQUEL!! (or six), MERCHANDISING!! TV SERIES!! RADIO RIGHTS!! THEME PARK!! Whatever gets the dough rolling and then they saw the final product... don't get me wrong... they are still spamming and doing their usual lying... but they know this boring dud will make as much money as Trump university churned out scholars... none zero nada

Boring thy name is Dune!
228 out of 362 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Epic??
dwarf-filipino19 November 2021
The studio put the word 'Epic' in its press release and tacky festivals booked the film, lemming critics praised it and a bunch of wanna-be poser 'reviwers' quickly showed up here and gave it a ten out of ten.

This film is poser rubbish only a Filipino dwarf will appreciate (so all of them). The movie is bereft of meaning, stripped of the book's philosophy (which I have read) and missing something called entertainment.

By the way, why list an editor if everyone knows he just collected a salary and never showed up to work??
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Please Vote In My Poll
jk-manko-zanmai17 November 2021
Which is the most banal movie of recent times?

Thunder Force?

The Force Awakens?

Black Widow?

Blade Runner 2049?

Dune?

Dark horse: Thor ragnasuck.
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Denis Villeneuve Is The New JJ Abrams
vadovubo1 October 2021
Boring film made for commercial interests with nary an originality remaking and rebooting and yes... standard Hollywood.

However, while JJ Abrams admits he is a perennial gender switch franchise remake, Denis boy here does the same yet goes around thinking he is an artist.

What a joke.

The joke is on people who watched this and claim they didn't fall asleep. It is so slow.
237 out of 377 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring, Terrible, lackluster, Too Long...
james-alberta26 September 2021
Did I mention too long? Is it a conspiracy to sell more 'pop 'styrofoam' corn?

Any one episode of the 70s Space 1999 surpasses this pile of junk. And hey, how about, you know? Throwing in an actual rationale from the books for a change? I nearly fell asleep in the theater.
259 out of 414 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Digital Pickpocket
jj-abrams-out-of-airlock25 September 2021
Just watch the original or be smart and read the book.

Nothing to say, it is a borefest wish they stop mocking cinema for a pay day.
265 out of 424 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Condescending
bradley_kent_mr23 September 2021
So "Dune" is teaching viewers nothing?? The book is about the evils of corporations and this is about... what? Yeah, I will not be sharing or recommending this film.
274 out of 439 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cinema is dying
hollow-eyes-conservative24 September 2021
A victim of directors who think monochromatic shiny objects are the equivalent of good films A victim of trashy actors who are full of themselves and too dense to know their limitations A victim of studios who think remaking and remaking nd remaking everything is normal.

How many times can you regurgitate the same dish? People who like this eat the same food over and over and like it and think it is brilliant, right?
280 out of 449 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful visual effects but that's it.
adrianmoliere-1904720 September 2021
Story can be build down to good guys vs evil guys and the chosen one saves the stupid tribes people. Characters are completely one-dimensional and uninteresting. The movie is like a 2.5 hour long moving wallpaper. Nice to look at but nothing else.
316 out of 509 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Worst film of the year? Yes!
jamil-hossein23 September 2021
It was even below my expectations, everything is very commercial and empty both technically and narratively! Awful performances, terrible combat scenes and poseur direction from Denis Villeneuve (yup Blade Runner sequel). Anyway, worst movie of the year! Go to the movies, grab your popcorn to get fat, sit back and ... watch anything else!
289 out of 464 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Film and its soundtrack complement each other
The film puts you to sleep and once yanked to never never land...

The series of electronic shrieks, tears and farts that they call "music" yanks you right back to waking state ...
227 out of 361 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Can pleople please stop cheeering bad cinematography?
RubenGomezRadioboy28 September 2021
This is the Nolan nonsense of this decade.

Boring is not good.

Bland is not good.

Do people really want a boring bland version of an exciting masterpiece that already exist?

Are you going to make the same mistakes you did with Nolan?

Admit this. You don't like the boring take of Batman anymore. It was all just a big mistake. It was you being dragged by a nonsensical trend.

Blade Runner 2049 and now this. 😴

Stop it now that you still can.
254 out of 406 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Overrated, waste of time and money!
wmnac-8430924 September 2021
I can't believe that all the hype for the past year turned out into nothing! Literally nothing. Vague, super dark, emotionally non-existent, zero storytelling, loads of loopholes, into two and half hours of boredom with noise produced Hans zimmer! What a waste of resources this was...

This doesn't even deserve a star!
269 out of 431 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Painful
nicolasbahm22 September 2021
First time ever writing a review, but honestly thought I could save someone else the troubles.

Made the terrible mistake of going to the cinema. Couldn't wait for it to be over. Flat characters, too much happening in every scene, making it extremely hard to follow the story. Probably some of the worst I've ever seen, only comparable to the original Dune and Star Wars Episode 9.

Trust me, it does get worst by the minute.
275 out of 441 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.