The Christmas Waltz (TV Movie 2020) Poster

(2020 TV Movie)

more dance
SnoopyStyle18 July 2021
Busy New York lawyer Avery (Lacey Chabert) is getting married to David. He tells her that he took a big job in Boston. He wants to put a pin on the wedding. She cancels it instead and it's right after signing up for dance lessons with the both of them. The studio owner Roman Davidoff (Will Kemp) offers to be her substitute dance partner.

This is cute for a Hallmark romance. Lacey Chabert is adorable as always. The coupling is adorable. There is something about learning to dance together. There is inherent trust being built between the couple as they dance. Dancing is romance in visual form. It's also adorable to see Lacey try to dance. She's not an expert but she looks cute doing it. In fact, the movie could do more with her learning to dance. Unlike her, the kid is an obvious dance ringer. This is all very adorable if somewhat lightweight. Lightweight thy name be Hallmark and that's not unexpected. David's return is a waste of time. He's not worth the juice. In the end, this is adorable although it would be more fun if Lacey has more dance lesson scenes.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joyful to watch
Gordon-1126 December 2020
The leads, the dances and the sets are absolutely joyful to watch. It is sweet and lovely.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Lacey And Will Do It Again
atlasmb30 November 2020
Hallmark re-teams Lacey Chabert (Avery) and Will Kemp (Roman) for this holiday romance about a jilted fiancée who makes the best of the situation.

Avery decides to take the dance lessons that were to prepare her for her wedding day. At the studio, she meets studio owner and dance instructor Roman, who encourages her to challenge herself.

The film features a strong cast and believable chemistry between the leads. Will Kemp, especially, deserves praise for his acting, which is supplemented by his classical dance experience. The dance sequences were choreographed by Jean-Marc Genereux.

Watch for J T Church, the talented young dancer who appears to have an acting career in his future. You might remember him as a junior dancer on "Dancing with the Stars".

The satisfying ending includes a finale that is reminiscent of "Dirty Dancing".
10 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nice film
lisafordeay8 December 2020
Lacey Chabert(Mean Girls) and Will Kemp(Royal Matchmaker) reunite again for another film reunion,this time in a festive dancing romantic comedy. Lacey plays Avery a young woman who broke up with her uptight fiance who moved to Boston for a job position. Lonely she decides to sign up for dancing lessons where she meets a handsome instructor named Roman (Kemp) who she becomes smitten with. But when her fiance shows up out of the blue,will Avery choose her uptight fiance Jack or Roman?.

Overall it was a cute movie
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Christmas Waltz
JoBloTheMovieCritic29 November 2020
6/10 - silly dance-themed holiday flick is elevated by the always charismatic Lacey Chabert
8 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beauty
Jackbv12330 November 2020
This movie reminds me very strongly of another movie that I can't name. (Watched that movie a weeks or two later--"Come Dance with Me" aka "Christmas Dance".) Many details are the same including taking the lessons for a to impress the girlfriend/fiancé, and dancing on the sidewalk. Otherwise, the story is a bit different than many of the Christmas movies coming out every year.

At least one of the developments may be predictable, but it is totally outlandish. That's OK though. I recently pointed out in another review that this type movie is only a couple of steps removed from the Fantasy or SciFi genres for suspending realism. Realism aside, it was quite a beautiful and dramatic development.

Beside the beauty of the dancing, the attraction here is the chemistry between Lacey Chabert and Will Kemp. They also starred in Love, Romance and Chocalate. For me this movie was a great improvement for both of them.

Chabert commented in at least one interview that she had to work hard to even learn the basics for the dancing. She's not a young kid - got to hand it to her for the effort. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Chabert is ready for professional waltz contests, but for most of us amateur viewers there was some nice dancing together with Kemp.

I get a little uncomfortable in these movies when one of the main male rivals takes on the Neanderthal approach. I guess the outcome of that effort here makes it clear that there is no place for that attitude.
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avery (Lacey Chabert)
aab87426 December 2020
Favorite scene with

Avery (Lacey Chabert) - The "Singin' In The Rain"-like dance number with Roman - Dancin' In The Snow.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Best hallmark Christmas movie of the year
dianamarinelli29 November 2020
I love this movie it had the Christmas charm I was looking for. The two leads had amazing chemistry. Of course he ex finacee had to come to win her back but we all know who she would have chosen. The dance sequences were amazing as well.
17 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just ok
LtlHippo5 December 2020
Need more new actresses. tired of Lacey, Danica and Candace. This one was complete with all the nauseating giggling. Things happened WAY too fast, like her and the whole breakfast making thing the morning after he fell. And During the first hour, I was just waiting because I KNEW the ex fiancee would want to get back with her again. Just not one of my favorites. Have to say she sure did get over that break up pretty darn fast.
8 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
May I have this dance...
toddsgraham30 November 2020
I enjoyed this one. As another reviewer said on here, it's 'waltzing with chemistry'. It is a lovely romance story, and the script is strong. Don't get me wrong, the story was quite predictable, a typical Hallmark storyline. That said, what is most important, I think, is whether the film engages me, pulls me in. This one did just that from the start. The bonus here was dancing, the Christmas waltz, that is. The dance sequences were charming. I wonder how long they spent working with the choreographer on this one. I would have loved to see a bit more of the children's performance at the end (John Talan Church was great). The acting was very good. Lacey Chabert's performance was convincing. Indeed, she performs well in this genre of film, which is why she is a Hallmark regular, of course. She has sort of a soft and sweet vibe to her performance here, which worked well, I thought. Will Kemp was great. I first saw him on screen in Reign as Henry Stuart. Good series. I was impressed with his performance here. The chemistry between the two was good, believable. They had several sweet scenes together, which worked well on screen. The supporting cast was strong too. No complaints there. The dancing, along with well-polished scenery, props, and sets, really gave this a Christmas feel to it without having to watch, for example, people building gingerbread houses (which Hallmark is obsessed with) or hang wishes on a tree (seems to be a popular tradition this year). Overall, it is a delightful Christmas movie, which fans of Hallmark will no doubt enjoy.
36 out of 37 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Refreshing new face!
Jazzie-too16 January 2021
Will Kemp! Hope to see more of this fellow! Engaging actor and beautiful dancer! I loved the flow of this story. Lacey is always delightful, but could benefit her dance with more training--arm motion and positions, in particular.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
not her best
montgomerysue13 December 2020
Lacey Chabert is always good, and it is fun to see her dance in this movie, but the story is mediocre and the chemistry with Will Kemp is lacking. Kind of predictable and slow. She did two Hallmark movies this season, and the other, Time For Us To Come Home For Christmas, is just terrific in all aspects. Check that one out before this.
2 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hallmark Outdid Themselves!
mammamia7012 January 2021
Wow! Hallmark outdid themselves with this movie. The premise, naturally is a love story. However, this is set around dancing. A jilted Lacey Chabert takes the dance lessons intended for her and her ex-fiance to prepare for their upcoming wedding . Her dance instructor, Will Kemp, is a classically trained dancer and it shows! It was so refreshing to see true dancing in a movie. It even had elements of Singing in the Rain....only without the rain. This is definitely one I will watch every year. It was so entertaining and fun to watch Lacey evolve into dancing.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
American Smooth
rossmcfarlen22 November 2021
Bride-to-be (Chabert) waltzes into romance at a dance studio with the high kicking & highly balletic dance teacher (Kemp), after her Christmas wedding plans are put on the backburner unexpectedly by her roguish fiancée, who is particularly distracted by his own career on the run-up to the wedding

That she recovers very quickly from this major disappointment (there is a little blubbing in one scene) is somewhat implausible - but suspension of disbelief is a good trait to have when watching Christmas romances of this TV kind.

But recover she does, and Mr Kemp helps put a spring back in her step before ultimately sweeping her off her feet after many hours of rehearsal at his dance studio.

The story telling is as skillful as the dialogue spoken by the two leads, who bring authenticity and strong chemistry to their roles, both on the dance floor and off it - the scene on the rainy street where they pay homage to 'Singing In The Rain' (with requisite umbrella to hand) is particularly striking and makes this feature stand out from the competition.

Overall this is an enchanting Christmas film of the dancing-into-romance variety that is worth repeated views.

PS: one quibble is that the waltz music (lacklustre rendition of the standard 'The Christmas Waltz used at the end, for example) for both rehearsals and grand finale is not familiar or particularly memorable/likeable but this, fortunately, doesn't affect the overall quality of the production.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Seemed like an audition for dancing with the stars
hallmarkmov21 May 2021
Predictable love story and nice flow. Felt like she had just come off of dancing with the stars and wanted to show off her dance moves? Hoping she doesn't become like cameron candace bure, I can't take having random dancing with nothing to do with the plot. I prefer Lacey over her. Overall nice simple movie.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Sweet movie that could've slowed down a bit.
savethewatchmaker1 December 2020
This film's shining gem is the dancing element. The elegance and romance of the waltz is sweet and undeniable, and both carries and elevates this movie. Also a boon is Lacey Chabert as Avery and Will Kemp as Roman, both of whom do a good job playing their roles. Also a fun surprise was JT Church as the energetic Nicky, who some may pleasantly recognize from So You Think You Can Dance.

Unsurprisingly, the scenes that focus on the dancing are the best. The lessons are fun to watch, and one can feel the relationship gradually and authentically grow as they practice. The best scene in the movie is easily when Roman and Avery spontaneously dance down a street together at night; it's cute, unexpected, and just puts a smile on the audience's face.

What I took some issue with is how unbelievably fast Roman and Avery's relationship moves. After only a few dance lessons (one of which ends early because Avery storms off in tears), the two of them are suddenly thick as thieves. The movie takes a few strange narrative turns - for instance, on their way to go ice skating Roman hits his head and briefly needs care from Avery, although watching them ice skate together probably would've been more enjoyable - that are a bit hard to believably follow, mostly because the two of them go from strangers to teacher/student to Avery taking part in family dinners, where everyone gleefully welcomes her with open arms. I would've loved to see more development between them rather than some of the other scenes that fluff out the movie, and honestly, we could've ditched the ex-fiance-comes-running-back cliche entirely for a slightly less overused plot twist. Also a bit disappointing: after some misunderstandings, the movie ends very abruptly, leaving very little closure. A bit of a wrap-up would have been appreciated; as it was, ending the movie felt a bit like being ejected out of a roller coaster you expected to still roll to a stop.

And as a bit of a nitpick, Lacey Chabert wears NOTHING but what are basically flouncy summer dresses (sometimes, when lucky, with a coat) despite it being winter in New York. Try harder at pretending it's actually Christmastime, Hallmark!
3 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well Done...Not A Christmas Movie
zyxnix12 December 2020
First of all, Lacey, as usual, hits it out of the park. Although her arms are getting a little flabby. She looks amazing through most of the movie, in spite of not being dressed in anything really attractive. The movie is really well done. Some money was spent on this one. However, it's not a Christmas movie. Yeah, yeah, it's just dressed with Christmas trappings. But, come on, take away the decorations and it still works. How convenient to find a single good looking dance instructor. Why is he available? Where is the Christmas Magic?
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I just can't...
mbiv4 December 2020
This was an ok movie as Hallmark movies go, but the ending! The star is stuck in traffic and can't make the big show?! Didn't seem to affect ANYBODY else. 😁 Oh well. I had to grade it down for that, but it's not terrible. I just had to laugh at that.
5 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really enjoyed this movie!!
youngandrestless123456 December 2020
Well worth watching, hoping for a Part 2 of the story!
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just stinking adorable!!
txharrington2 December 2020
Is there any movie where Lacey isn't perfectly sweet and lovable? She's just so lovely and such a great actress. We liked the story, dancing, acting, and Christmas spirit!! Loved it!!
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
As sweet as it could get
TheCheeseMistress4 January 2021
This movie felt like it was 10 minutes long, I didn't get bored or distracted for a second!

It's as feel-good as a romantic TV movie could get: adorable female lead, simple and predictable story that you know exactly what's going to happen but you want to watch it anyway because of how sweet and cute it is. Only that, for a change, it's done the way it's supposed to be.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Movie
aliyahrocks2 December 2020
One of the better Holiday Hallmark Movies this year. Lacey Chabert and Will Kemp have great chemistry throughout. This is their 2nd movie together and I hope they do more. The movie ended a little abruptly. It needed one last scene to wrap up everything. Overall a good film that will be added to my Christmas Film Rotation. Watch the movie for yourself and then form an opinion.
20 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2020's Best Movie of the Year!
robby777777 February 2021
My pick for 2020's Best Movie of the Year. It also includes the best dance scene in Hallmark history. Chabert and Kemp dance down the street in a very "Singing In The Rain" inspired sequence that is absolutely breathtaking. I found this to go way beyond Hallmark movies in acting, script, dance, and scenery. I've watched it numerous times and fell in love with the chemistry between the two. This one demands a Part II for Christmas 2021! Loved it. Kemp can really dance.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Joy of Dance
esusansmith29 November 2020
Seems like Hallmark went out of their comfort zone on this truly delightful movie. Not a hot cocoa, town square, wedding planner or tree-lighting in site, and yet they managed to produce a lovely, (dare I say) mature Christmas movie. Brava, Lacy, on your dancing. Surely there were hours of rehearsal, and your hard work was evident in the moving dance sequences. But now to the real star of the show, the multi-talented Will Kemp. He's been in a number of Hallmark movies, but this is the first time his exquisite dancing expertise was showcased. His routine on the sidewalk was reminiscent of Gene Kelly dancing in the rain, and shows off Will's ability outside of the ballroom. The final dance to Christmas Waltz was breathtaking. Thank you, Will Kemp, for allowing me a Christmas dream. And thank you, Hallmark, for by far the best movie of the season.
14 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Enjoyed this dance movie despite Lacey Chabert
lmgannon227 December 2020
Even though I swore I was never going to watch another movie that starred Lacey Chabert EVER again, when I saw in the previews that Will Kemp and JT (from SYTYCD Next Generation) were both in it, I couldn't miss it. I love them both and also figured dance would be strongly featured in the movie, which it was. The main storyline was your typical thoroughly predictable Hallmark from beginning to end, but the amount of focus on dance was very enjoyable, and Will Kemp's acting was superb, so far above what I expected. I'm amazed he even considers doing movies like this, but this one certainly showcases his many talents, he really has it all. JT was adorable as always. The side characters, her sweet best friend and his dance partner (JT's mom) were good also, I can't say much about Lacey Chabert's role as she always annoys me and I would have loved seeing someone else in the role, but I guess she was okay. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie despite her.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.