The White Ribbon (2009)
Parents GuideAdd to guide
Showing all 17 items
|MPAA||Rated R for some disturbing content involving violence and sexuality|
Sex & Nudity
- Though there is no nudity, there are depictions of sex acts that have just ended or have been interrupted. There are also brief descriptions of sex acts made in confrontations between characters.
- Thinking that his son masturbates, a pastor tells him that if he continues to do so he will die a horrible death. Later, the son's hands are strapped to his bed at night to prevent him from masturbating.
- A doctor is in an incestuous relationship with his teenage daughter. In one scene, a woman taunts the man by telling him that she knows of him 'fingering' his daughter. In another scene, the father and daughter are caught in an examining room, both fully clothed though the daughter's nightgown is hiked up her legs. A moan is heard by the son outside the door before they are caught.
- A brief scene of fully clothed intercourse. Thrusting and moaning are present.
- Another very brief scene of a woman performing a sex act (blowjob) on a man.
Violence & Gore
- Several references and innuendos to violent acts.
- A horse and its rider are injured by a tripwire.
- A small animal is seen with its head severed and a scissors pushed into the neck stump.
- A teenager finds his father's body after his father has hanged himself.
- A severely mentally disabled boy is found with his face mutilated and it is presumed he has been tortured.
- A boy is punched to the ground and kicked by his father.
- There is other implied violence but hardly any of it is actually shown, but it remains to be very disturbing.
- The words "bastard" and "retarded" are used.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking
- Casual drinking.
- A few characters smoke. Not in an offensive way.
Frightening & Intense Scenes
- All of the scenes mentioned before are highly unsettling and frightening.
- This film is generally disturbing in tone and is aimed towards an adult audience.