My Dad's Christmas Date (2020) Poster

You got to love York...
toddsgraham26 November 2020
I must say, I really enjoyed this film. It had a lot of things going for it. The story and script were strong. I had a bit of an emotional roller-coaster with this one. The first 30 minutes or so were quite funny. I found myself laughing out loud several times (e.g., when the daughter was setting on the online dating profiles for her dad; the Aunt's Christmas party; the dates the unknowing father went on). The dialogue between the father (played by Jeremy Piven) and the daughter (played by Olivia-Mai Barrett) was witty and insightful into the father-daughter relationship, I thought. The character development of David and Jules was also pretty good for a Christmas film. The acting was great. Piven had a good performance, quite believable in his role as a father. Barrett was very good too. I have never seen her on-screen before; she impressed me with her performance here. The dialogue and relationship between the two worked on screen, well, it did for me, at least. The supporting cast was also well cast, performed well. The music was very good; some good music taste in this film. The scenery, props and sets were well done. You must love York at Christmas. It is such a cosy and pretty city, a nice filming location. Overall, this Christmas film is a treat. I highly recommend it.
23 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A sweet Christmas movie
reillyloretta8 November 2020
I enjoyed watching this movie, it has an interesting story line and the acting is excellent. I wish the movie was longer, I think they could have added more scenes to add depth to story. This is the perfect movie to put you in a holiday mood and it is fun watch over again.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well i thought it was great
ambereyes19314 December 2020
Yes i thought it was great. Made me emotional towards the end and that rarely happens. Jeremy Piven is so lovely.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the best Christmas movies of 2020
mcgonigal_cfc_74 December 2020
All the cast of this movie deserve a round of applause. Scrolling through Amazon Prime I stumbled onto this movie, I thought I'd put it on for some background noise but within minutes I was hooked, the story really grips at your heartstrings. Olivia & Jeremy are amazing actors & I felt as though it was very real. Definitely give this movie a watch, it had me in tears but it is beautifully portrayed.

Loved every minute of it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jeremy Piven
jespor12 November 2020
The movie itself is bang average. But Jeremy Piven is really good in it!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A heartwarming Christmas film about love and loss
janemoran-duncodin10 December 2020
I really really enjoyed this film, it reminded me slightly of The Descendents in that it's about family relationships and how they survive after a huge loss. There are some sad moments, but it's tackled with a light hand and some of the comedy is laugh out loud funny. It is set in the beautiful City of York at Christmas. I know York really well and it was fun spotting different parts of the town. It's not a rom com, it's more of a comedy drama.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Funny then Thought provoking and emotional
alicesmith678 December 2020
I'm shocked some people have guven bad reviews.. Thise that have clearly cannot see the story beneath in this film. I found it hilarious at points and heartbreaking at others. I wish it was on for longer. There is such a deep story to this film that it would be good as a drama series. Acting was amazing from both main characters.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great Christmas movie worth watching
vittorio-1311 November 2020
This is a nice surprise. A great movie, funny and very enjoyable. It is nice to see a movie from other countries such as uk. What I like about this movie is that it's not about culture shocks. Yes the dad is American and the family is British that is never brought up. A fun surprises for the whole family please note there some swearing. But Still good family movie
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A great family film for Christmas time!
roger_20206 November 2020
This film definitely deserves higher marks, I don't know why anyone would give it a 1??? I was going to give it a 9, but decided on a 10 because My Dad's Christmas Date was that good.It makes me laugh, it makes me cry. It's one of the best xmas movies I have ever watched. The acting is also wonderful the actors are nice and sweet. if you love xmas then you must watch My Dad's Christmas Date
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Film with a heart based around Xmas
cjb-7897623 December 2020
While events take place around Xmas, it's more of an emotional drama than the usual rubbish that gets served up around this time. In turns funny and teary. Jeremy and Olivia-Mai are both excellent and believable as a father and daughter struggling to overcome loss and move on. York is a beautiful back drop too. Well worth a watch as it draws you right in as it goes on. Highly recommended.
Underrated
boballens19 December 2020
I've sat through many of the other Christmas offerings and didn't enjoy them half so much and they were rated far higher than this one. I enjoyed the film and really liked Jeremy Piven's character - it was believable and sometimes very funny. i couldn't quite connect with Joely Richardson in the film as the accent seemed very forced but I suppose it had to be understood by all so it was never going to be accurate. I loved the York market scenes that were authentic and charming. Although it is set during the festive season it is not quite a crimbo rom com but very watchable. Give it a go.
Nice Christmas film.
missundaztood915 December 2020
I was flicking through the streaming services for something to watch and I came across this little gem. I didn't read much about it, the title sort of said enough, I just clicked to watch. I remember the father being from the Ellen sitcom too, so that was another pull.

I was surprised to find that it was all in England, I thought it would have been in America. There are some lovely father and daughter scenes, funny and emotional at the same time, and some really nice winter scenes in and around York. I didn't expect it to have me crying as well, but it did.

Nice acting, good cast, good script, some beautiful locations. Would highly recommend. A nice warm Christmas film to snuggle up on the sofa with.
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional drama masquerading as a Christmas Movie!
ukxenafan15 December 2020
This popped up on my Amazon video time line and a damp Saturday afternoon in December seemed like a good time for a fun Christmas film. However don't be fooled, this is much more like Ricky Gervais show After Life. It is more about how a father and daughter struggle in the aftermath of the death of the mother. There are some funny moments but this is really a quite painful look at grief. However, York is pretty and the leads are good. Less convincing from the supporting cast at times - Joely Richardson's accent is distracting and the daughter's best friend and other school pals are not great actors. Not very warm and fuzzy but an ok film
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible northern accent
laduk11 December 2020
The movie itself is good. What is off putting is Joely Richardson's terrible northern accent!! Why not just let her speak with her normal accent?! Every time she's on screen it's all I can focus on! Everything else is good
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible across the board
barrie-english7 December 2020
It's seems no budget was left after spending most of it on Jeremy Piven and Joely Richardson, both of whom are not money well spent. I watched this for Jeremy Piven thinking it would be a nice Christmas movie with a Quirky lead performance Piven. None of which materialised. Piven looks awkward in all his acting and his comedy is forced. As for Richardson. Why they didn't hire a Yorkshire actress, I dont know. Her accent evolves from generic northern to a mix of a debatable Scottish and Irish. She never nails it and her character is pointless. The script is terrible. Trying to be a comedy but failing so the director tries to inject the comedy into the physical acting which doesn't work either. The actors struggle with the dialogue constantly. The cinematography is terrible with endless drone shots of York and cheap soap style shots. The music and score is terrible. None of it lends itself to the film and is ultimately misplaced. The story is terrible. No set up of the dad and daughters previously life and nothing really happens. The casting is terrible. Everyone is miscast. Why they didn't just hire Yorkshire actors to give it even a sprinkling of realism. An American dad, an London daughter, a don't know what friend (Joely), and a plethora of upper class characters all seriously out of place in the story. Oh and the art direction and sets are terrible. Nothing works. The actress playing the daughter is probably the only ember in the fire which will probably go on to ignite and do good things. She's a good actress but that's it. I couldn't wait for it to end. York looks lovely though.
4 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not a Christmas Movie
jrbusiness-644999 November 2020
I had hoped for a good new christmas movie but this wasn't it. Yeah I enjoyed it for what it was. I liked the acting and the story between the father and daughter that also had some funny parts in it, but I'd say it was more of a drama than anything else.
2 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One Star because they won't allow none
colinmardell13 December 2020
Truly dreadful. No doubt the cast will be doing their best to ensure that it doesn't appear on their resume. Insulting portayal of British people.

No spoilers because it is not possible to spoil this movie.
2 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mediocre, but okay to watch
robert-20-93086110 December 2020
Definitely not a romcom, which the title does hint at. It was okay, Jeremy Piven is great, but feels a bit out of place. Oliva-Mai wasn't bad, but I felt her character was very badly written.

The actual plot is just too farfetched, it could happen if the girl was a lot younger, but as she's 16, the immersion isn't there, which prevents the really emotional moments from having the same impact.

The movie seems confused at what it is, is it a Christmas Romcom as the title and main plot suggests, a coming of age story as the subplot (with a very odd conclusion) suggests, or is it a drama about a family tragedy?

Because of this, neither the comedy or the drama quite hit home, and it's too bad, as there's definitely potential.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is not a Christmas movie or a Rom-Com!
jagfannn9 November 2020
This movie has some really funny parts, Jeremy Piven is funny and has good chemistry with his daughter played by Olivia-Mai Barrett, it's both strained and loving at the same time (which couldn't be more real). If however, due to the title, you begin watching it expecting a Christmas movie or Rom-Com (as I did), you're very likely to be disappointed. This is a Drama/Comedy, so if you're in the Christmas movie mood this isn't the one, perhaps that's why it's rating has dropped lower than what is deserves, for what it is. It's worth watching when you''re in the mood for a funny Drama.
1 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Could have been better with a matching soundtrack
StarbucksBatman8 November 2020
There's huge potential in Jeremy Piven, anyone can see that after watching Entourage. The story and the directing was OK, the acting was excellent, but the atmosphere was totally ruined by the poor selection of soundtrack. The songs should have supported the acting but they simply didn't match the scenes and the feelings, at all.
I got lost...
sergiodibari22 December 2020
Locations are wonderful but... some ideas very good but... it is wasted.
0 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is NOT the Christmas feel-good movie you're looking for......
magicmerly15 December 2020
Whilst this trailer seems to make this film out as a comedy, it's far from that, this film is literally about a father and daughter dealing with the years gone by fallout of their mothers death. its a good portrayal of a father daughter conflict but its a) not a comedy and b) I'd struggle to call it a christmas film either. don't go into this one thinking you're coming out with a smile on your face, I love Jermey Piven in anything but even this gave me a bad taste in my mouth after watching the "funny" trailer.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Comedy?
yysni10 December 2020
It's not terrible, but it's a million miles from being a comedy, which is that Prime Video says it is. For a film at Christmas, it's pretty somber and serious. It would hit home for many watching and cause a tear or 10.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Gee man!
peljasz10 December 2020
Only got as far as the moment where the daughter gives the father the idea what she really thinks of him - there I can barely understand how the girl can be the daughter of the love of the man's life?! except for biologically of course - as if the girl came straight back from a NXIVM session. No, really!
0 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Never let your child do your online profile....
CinemaSerf9 December 2020
To be fair to this, it's just a run of the mill Christmas story that has been told in so many permutations before, that it probably wouldn't matter how good Jeremy Piven ("David) or Olivia-Mai Barrett ("Jules") were, this would still be absurdly derivative. It still has it's moments though, as the young girl tries to set up an internet presence for her widowed father, so he can meet someone kind, witty - alive might do... yada yada... Barrett is actually quite good, as is he - the writing, however, has not an original bone in it's seasonal body, is frequently overly sentimental and really had to work too hard to get us over the 90 minute mark. It's Christmas so one can't be too unkind, but like most made for telly movies this time of year, it merits little more than a footnote. Decent enough production values, though (York at Christmas looks lovely and quintessentially English), and nice to see Joely Richardson back on the screen - she never seems to age.
0 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.