You Cannot Kill David Arquette (2020) Poster

I have a newfound respect for Arquette
DeadMansTrousers1 September 2020
Growing up in the 90s I was the prime audience for the David Arquette phenomena but I never realised how truly passionate he was about wrestling. This documentary was extremely entertaining and left me with even more respect for him as a person, I highly recommend it.
14 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
quest for respect
ferguson-621 August 2020
Greetings again from the darkness. I'll admit to knowing very little about professional wrestling, so this was the first I had heard about actor David Arquette's scandal from nearly 20 years ago, as he promoted his movie READY TO RUMBLE (2000). Documentarian David Darg and Video director Price James collaborate here as co-directors to deliver a documentary on one of the strangest, most off-the-wall stories I've ever seen ... and one that fits well with the reputation of the professional wrestling world.

In a sport that thrives on good guy vs bad guy, David Arquette became the most hated man in wrestling. The power brokers in the industry determined a publicity stunt with his becoming WCW Champion would lead to a boon for the business. The fan and wrestler backlash was harsh and severe, and Arquette claims it made him persona non grata in both the sport and in Hollywood, though his math doesn't add up. He discloses his "10 years of rejections" for acting roles, when the wrestling brouhaha goes back 20 years. And on top of that, he has worked pretty consistently over those two decades - albeit mostly in projects that don't appeal to mainstream audiences.

So all these years later, here comes David Arquette in his attempt to re-enter the world of wrestling and gain respect from those that think he disrespected their beloved sport. The temptation here is to label the documentary and Arquette a joke, but he seems so sincere in his desire to find his way, that we catch ourselves following his journey with interest. And it's not always easy to do so. There is one moment in particular: Arquette is wearing a purple bedazzled wizard cape while sitting on a horse and vaping, when he states, "I'm sick of being a joke". Umm.

Arquette is likely best known for his role in the SCREAM movies, of which there were four between 1996 and 2011, and a fifth is on the way for 2021. Or perhaps he is best known as the ex-husband of "Friends" star Courteney Cox, with whom he has a daughter. Then again, maybe his fame is derived from being part of a family entrenched in entertainment. This includes his acting sisters Rosanna, Patricia and Alexis (who died in 2016), brother Richmond, father Lewis (a well-established character actor), and grandfather Cliff, who created the popular character Charley Weaver.

We meet Arquette's wife Christine McLarty (who looks like she could be Courteney Cox's younger sister), a career news reporter who is now a film producer, and she seems to share our confusion on why David is pursuing this at age 46 - after a heart attack, which resulted in stints and blood thinners. When he speaks of his previous alcoholism, anxiety, and other mental and physical health issues, we hope this is his way of improving his health. However, as we follow him on the road, we realize, it really is about the wrestling and redemption.

The journey leads to a "backyard wrestling" match where amateurs looking to humiliate the actor pretty much beat the heck out of him. It's at this point where he decides to train, and heads off to a facility in Virginia, followed by Cancun and Tijuana street wrestling, segments that prove quite entertaining. The pride of a wrestling match is mentioned, and we watch a ROCKY segment where Arquette chases a chicken, and is called "crazy white boy" while a Spanish version of "The Last Kiss" is played. I warned you this was a strange one.

At times we can't help but think this is a hoax in the same way in which Joaquin Phoenix parlayed his acting "retirement" into I'M STILL HERE, a mockumentary on his pursuit of a hip hop career. The difference is that Arquette really trains and really wrestles, ending with a match at the "Legends of Wrestling" in Detroit against Ken Anderson. This is a film that feels like a gag when it starts, but very real by the end. It's not enough to motivate me to go back and watch some of those terrible David Arquette movies, but it's enough to tip my cap to a man pursuing respect and redemption.
36 out of 43 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
THE WRESTLER: THE REAL STORY
RinoBortone911 September 2020
Rotten, true, rough, crude, firm and exciting. You Cannot Kill David Arquette is one of the most compelling documentaries of the year and of the last few years, portraying a reality so humble and straightforward, it seems like the REAL version of The Wrestler movie. Directed with sagacity, capturing every single moment, from the most irrelevant to the most detailed in order to introduce David Arquette's persona to 360 degrees. This is a documentary that also attracts the attention of those who do not watch. Perfect.
15 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
David Arquette cements his status as a BADASS!!
Corkscrew84productions30 August 2020
At the center of this documentary it's all about a man just trying to earn the respect of his peers. I really love how you get this inmate look into David's life with his family and everything he goes through you can see he just wants to not be a joke anymore in the wrestling industry and earn the respect of his peers in the business. throughout this doc you see him put his body through hell to earn the respect of his peers as well as redeem his self to the fans. I really love the trials and tribulations of him dealing with janky promoters to wrestling convention signings to even god damn death match with Nick Gage. One of my favorite parts of the film is when he goes to Tijuana, Mexico to train with some wrestlers. Wrestling in traffic at red lights for change evening hitting a ladder spot. So if you a fan of David Arquette or heard about the death match or even watch WCW back in the day I think you'll like this documentary. not to mention its beautifully shot. Its a solid 9/10 for me. I also have a YouTube channel where we just dropped a review for this movie would love if you guys checked it out at Matt and Garrett take the movies dropping videos every Monday @6pm EST
12 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful if true. Poignant if acting.
shughm11 September 2020
I've always dug David Arquette in movies. Scream, Eight-Legged Freaks, Ready to Rumble-all childhood favorites.

But to see such a humanizing aspect of the man's personality added a depth to my appreciation of him. For growing up within an acting dynasty, to his personal struggles, and desire for nothing more than respect-dude's tough as nails.

I watched this expecting a schlocky self-parody, to shedding tears. I definitely recommend. Let's hope to see him in roles with more depth (even if I'm eagerly awaiting Scream 5).
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Entertaining
stephenrattigan19 September 2020
Enjoyable Documentary.. David is eccentric but very entertaining, wrestling fans should enjoy
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Thank You David!!!!
batfan-757199 September 2020
That's all I can say after watching this!!!! What an incredible look into his life. I'm a FAN and always will be. Give this a watch and I promise you won't be disappointed.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A hard working man who doesn't care about critics.
stoermok30 November 2020
I personally had and still have a fond love for wrestling. Back in 2010 the business was on it's peak, it came down a little bit, but there's a new wave going around.

I think it's a story about Arquette proving the world wrong, he proved if you put your mind to it you can do it, even with the little blocks you have on the road. He pretty much sealed people mouths when it came to his WCW critics.

I think there are a decent amount of very well done cinematography shots in here and also very well edited.

I didn't know Luke Perry had a son in professional wrestling, in which he is doing pretty good from what i've been following, but i immediately recognized him. I loved the memorial they had at the end.

If you want to see familiar faces and also had/have a niche for the sport then i'd recommend watching it.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Really really good
brett-7626022 December 2020
I can honestly say I along with thousands of other fans I never took David serious about anything. This show actually changed my mind and I have come full circle on my opinion of him as a actor and wrestler. Have to give him all the credit for going through what he did to clear his name in the wrestling community. This show was done outstanding and very well made. Its much much better than I ever would have expected and is well worth watching. Great job David on this documentary and your dedication to the sport.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Laugh! Cry! Gasp!
blueblazer53010 October 2020
David Arquette, at one point one of Hollywood's most promising young actors, became the World Championship Wrestling Heavyweight Champion in the year 2000! Considered by many wrestling fans as the worst moment in professional wrestling history, Arquette not only was laughed out of the wrestling world, he lost all credibility with Hollywood. So why does he want to go back 18 years later? This documentary traces Arquette's quixotic quest for redemption, respect, and a wrestling gimmick. Putting his career, marriage and even his life on the line, Arquette goes to extreme, hardcore measures to finally be accepted in the wrestling world. Even if you're not at all familiar with wrestling, or a B-List actor that come from an artistic, talented family of actors, you'll be fascinated by the insane questionable decisions Arquette makes in order to fulfill his dreams. Yet, you might wind up rooting for him. Often funny, quirky, and at times horrifically violent, "You Cannot Kill David Arquette" will leave you inspired. I mean how can you not cheer for a middle aged has-been actor who has barely survived a heart attack just a year prior to filming this documentary? Cheer at his child-like glee at entering the wrestling ring! Gasp in horror as he nearly bleeds out from a severed Carotid Artery! Feel your heartstrings plucked as El Maldito honorably gifts his luchador mask to David! Cry as David is shunned at WrestleCon by the wrestling fans, often considered to be the most thoughtful, passionate, and critical thinkers of all the fandoms!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
David Arquette is a funny fella
imseeg5 December 2020
Hearing about David Arquette wanting to get into wrestling sounded like a joke to me at first. Like it being a kind of fake documentary just to have some fun and draw some attention, like Joaquin Phoenix did when he said he wanted to become a hiphop rapper. But David Arquette was actually really devoted to wrestling, even as a young kid he always was fascinated by it.

Of course David Arquette was never really serious of truly becoming a wrestler, but he just wanted to experience the thrill for real. And it is a lot of fun watching him get ridiculed and fysically smacked. He even got seriously injured and was escorted to the hospital by his friend Luke Perry, who later died of a stroke, which devasted David Arquette.

Concluding: this documentary is a lot of fun to watch, because David Arquette is a really funny fella. He is kind of deranged in a very pleasant kind of way, because who would dare take the chance of getting into wrestling, while just having had a heart attack a year before? David Arquette did and boy what great fun it is to watch him make a complete ass of himself. But he genuiningly enjoyed himself while doing so...
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
RESPECT!
jacquelinesandra1 March 2021
Proof that not matter what people say or think about you You should always do what you love in life. You can achieve anything if you put your heart in it. And for all those who dare judge someone else: you might not understand but please learn to be more supportive, it can make a huge difference in someone's life!
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
amazing movie love to see David have some redemption
buckeyefanohiostate14 February 2021
I was a wrestling fan as a kid and i watched how after David got the wcw championship the company started falling off really fast and how a lot of fans blamed David me it blamed Vice Russo & Eric Bishop!! i heard about this documentary on a Stevo Podcast had me very interested and i wasnt disappointed at all, always had liked david he was a pretty fun dude who looked like he was just trying to have fun! really enjoyed how great this documentary is highly recommend
Respect Well Earned
Ghostofthewoods3 February 2021
I've never had any hate for David and it seems obscured that anyone would - all because he was given the WCW title back in the day? Come on, wrestling is as much about showbiz and entertainment as it is about the hard knocks. Stories are all part of the business and the fact people still talk about the him winning the title 20 years on goes to show that it had the intended result - exposure to the masses. It's only keyboard warriors and jealousy that fuel any animosity.

Now on to the show. In my opinion it was entertaining, but I felt it was about chasing acceptance and proving a point - one that to me didn't need proving, but to David it seemed vitally important, which I can understand.

David has a big set of balls! That's for sure! And I hope he proved to himself what he's capable of, and I also hope the wrestling community appreciates his journey - a journey that most people wouldn't have the guts to travel. Wrestling is a hard way of life - more dangerous than boxing and MMA in my opinion, and the guys and girls that do it don't get anywhere near enough respect for their athletic abilities and physical and mental toughness.

I hope David found some solace in the making of this documentary and can move forward and enjoy life with his family.

Point proven and respect certainly earned, my friend!
Interesting doc
xsycknessx20 January 2021
Good doc but its clear this dudes jacked up, and the heart stints seal it. Dudes a huge fan but never knew to goto a school for it? Theres schools and trainers all over the world. Its a sad show that this guys fckd up and probably gonna kill himself. Trying after a dream that was likely unobtainble in what woulda been his "prime" 30 years ago. The whole things depressing
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Absolutely insane, and crazy good
haskel-7295113 January 2021
This may be the most completely off the charts nuts thing I've ever seen. Arquette is genuine in his love for wrestling and to make amends for what many feel is a two decade old slap in the face. As a documentary, it is insightful, thought provoking and flat out entertaining. Others have said David has mental problems. Maybe, but I think he is just very eccentric. He also has a big heart , and that comes through strong here.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Strange, not in a good way.
ferdmalenfant28 August 2020
If you thought David Arquette was strange and full of himself before, this movie will definitely make you hate him. Boring garbage. Who makes these thinking it's going to make money. So BAD.
13 out of 72 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Mental Issues
sucraf1 September 2020
The film was very interesting but David obviously has mental issues. How and why would his family and doctors allow him to wrestle? He had a heart attack and a lot of other body issues. The biggest issue I had was that his current wife was 2.0 of Courtney Cox. That was just gross.
4 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Too much of a work to be what it should've been.
rochfordsimon6 September 2020
This documentary was well produced and great cinematography. The hook and plot was so so.

Disappointed in this as it had the makings to be great. Instead it's more choreographed than Pro-Wrestling. The broken childhood, past relationships, addictions and current mental health issues should have been the core focus of why david returned to wrestling. Then it should have shown his self abusive treatment of himself doing the same. And in the end, the real heroes were his family that loved and accepted him! The documentary hinted at these things but never engaged them fully.

He is around the past superstars of wrestling, knows all the marquee names. But yet, he gets trained by gloried back yarders and wannabes of pro-wrestling! The bottom feeders. Why? If I want to be an actor, do I go to my local drama group that impersonates scenes from their favourite movies all day long? Also, he hasn't had and acting gig in 10 years, but in the credits he is on the set of a movie acting!! The producers and directors forgot to include, Kayfabe, lol.

From around 40+ mins in this documentary picks up and ends short about 10 mins before it finishes.

The lightubes in the beginning are laughed off as stunts in a backyard. But much later in the documentary he gets seriously injured by one. This was legit, but hard to take as such. Due to the earlier tomfoolery with Back Yard guys. This should have been a big drama piece, but was meh!

Then they aim to make you believe the wrestler in the black and white promo, shown at the beginning and end, really wants to hurt David etc etc. But when it's over, you see a shot of the said wrestler (Ken Anderson) slapping him in congratulations with a dozen other people!!! Why not have a piece where he shakes David's hand saying "I respect you now. Your one of us." ??

His wife dresses up as Miss Elizabeth and goes to the ring with him. This came across as a fetish cosplay gimmick. Why didn't they communicate David being unsure of himself and his wife tells him, "You're my Macho Man and I'm gonna support you out there" then she goes gets dressed as Elizabeth and briefly explains shes a symbol of women supporting their men in hard times etc. When you can show and not tell, its masterful. But this set up fell flat.

I'll stop. This was a decent watch, but fell short of the finish line while dropping all its valuables along the way. Check it out anyway.
2 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.