Hearts of Winter (TV Movie 2020) Poster

(2020 TV Movie)

Something is Missing
omijer26 January 2020
Hearts of Winter is a lovely, appealing movie based on a very emotional theme. A widower and his teenage daughter have lost a beloved wife and mother, and seem to have established a new life for themselves in the comfort of their warm and familiar home. For some reason, the teenage daughter enters a contest to have their home considered for a makeover by a TV home decorator. Her application is accepted and their home is chosen to be redecorated. This, understandably, stuns the father, who resist any changes to his familiar surroundings. And here is where the movie goes a bit too far in ignoring the emotional underlying issues for his resistance. The designer, played by the always lovely Jill Wagner, forges ahead with her plans to rid the home of its familiar objects, bring in new items, and essentially, change everything from what it had been. Sadly, the writers completely bypass the father's resistance to this project..overlooking the emotions he must be feeling at having all his reminders of his wife's existence carried away and replaced. Not enough dialogue, attention and respect is given, at all, to this aspect of what must be going on for him. This issue is finally articulated somewhere in the last third of the film. In the meantime, a relationship is seemingly growing between the father and the decorator, but not in a way that takes into account his grieving and his loss. The designer, played by Jill Wagner, does a great deal too much giggling to fill lapses in dialogue..Also, she appears a bit pregnant..Could that be? Usually she appears as a tall, statuesque attractive woman..But, here, there seems to be a great deal of scarves, coats, pocketbook cover-up activity going on..The father, Victor Webster, is always reliable as a romantic, appealing leading man, but is given a weaker image in this film. .until he is fairly allowed to mention the loss of his wife and everything she loved about her house. The movie is carried, very clearly, by the teenage daughter, Lauren McNamara, whose acting skills far outweigh those of the adult leads. She has developed into a truly skilled actress, and even shows some impressive ice-skating skills in one brief scene. This is a really fine young actress. The designer's assistant is played with great dignity and maturity by Rukiya Bernard, who by this time, should be given leading roles in Hallmark movies..She is an elegant, nuanced actress with not enough presence in her secondary roles. The movie rests on a valid theme of death of a spouse, loss, grieving...However, its development of that theme is superficial and not explored nearly enough to merit more stars.. Emotions run high in films about widowhood, single parenting, and life changes. This script did not take full enough advantage of all the deeper possibilities the situation offered. The eventual romantic ending seemed contrived and superificial.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is a 10!!!
agambre27 January 2020
The story was well written coupled with well chosen casts. Jill, per usual, has done it again. She is the most talented of all Hallmark actresses. The chemistry between her and Victor was awesome. Victor played his role extremely well. Once again Rukiya has proven that she deserves to be a lead in a movie. Lauren's acting cannot be ignored either. Overall, this movie warms your heart!!
11 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Cast Makes this a Winner
EPMD579 June 2020
I like the cast. The guy is a bit of a grump early on, which I find a welcome change from the usual Hallmark lead and more realistic considering his character's past. The kid is much better than the usual TV movie kid, which is a credit to the actress playing her. I liked Bethany too because she was confident and capable in her profession. Jill Wagner might be my new favourite on this channel. She can display a range of emotion without being fake, annoying, or over the top.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Prayer
pastorb-483141 February 2020
In the film, I am glad to see the prayers that the father and daughter pray together at home.
10 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Ho Hum Hallmark elevated by the cast and their chemistry.
rebekahrox26 January 2020
The story and the writing is weak, although the interior decorating and shopping bits were mildly diverting. However thanks to the talented cast and the easy chemistry among all the actors, this one earns an 8 from me. Jill Wagner is a very good actress and she and Victor Webster make a great well-matched couple. Victor's character Grant started out whiny and ungrateful, but he got over it fairly quickly. Lauren McNamara who played Grant's daughter was also top-notch and has been in several other Hallmark movies. She gets the plot rolling buy winning a free house makeover from Bethany an up and coming Interior Designer. Brendan Zub has impressed me in other productions, but was under-used as Jill's sensible and supportive brother. I would like to see him as the lead again in further Hallmark movies. Last and certainly not least is the cute and charismatic Rukiya Bernard, Jill's friend and partner, who brightens every production she is in. Alas, still in the best friend role and not as the lead. Come on Hallmark! Give her a role worthy of her before she gets away. One thing I really liked about this romance is that it didn't end with the deal-sealing smooch, like they all do, but went on to add a little postscript by having the cast wrap things up back at the redecorated home.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tried too hard
Becky14513 February 2020
Overall, I did not really enjoy this movie. The other review titled "something is missing" actually says all of the things I was thinking with the addition that I think Jill tried way too hard. Maybe it's because she is a producer in this movie? She is usually more laid-back and her acting feels more natural. I didn't see it here. I also didn't feel chemistry. I was annoyed at times. The cast was great. I love them and I give them much credit but I just didn't love this movie. Sorry.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrific onscreen chemistry between actors, bland writing...
ADHDBarbie29 January 2020
I am giving this 6 stars mostly because I thought Jill Wagner and Victor Webster were so wonderfully in sync as costars. (Jill Wagner is one of my very favorites! )

They had a fun, flirty spark that made it completely watchable.

I also absolutely loved Rukiya Bernard in this! She added so much more funnier my opinion that this movie really needed. I would definitely like to see more movies with these actors.

I found the writing of this to be rather slow. But it did have just the right touch of sweetness and romance.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good cast
Jackbv12320 April 2020
Jill Wagner and Victor Webster are always solid and I can't fault either of them for "something is missing", as said by another reviewer with whom I agree. Maybe it was that Wagner was trying too hard. Rukiya Bernard and Lauren McNamara were possibly even better in their roles than the leads. Both of these two should have a great future in this genre.

The story follows common themes and I thought the first few scenes were rough - the way Bethany comes in with guns blazing made me cringe a little. The trigger to the only conflict does get foreshadowed, and it works. My biggest complaint would be Grant's abrupt 180 early on which really didn't make that much sense. It made much more sense for him to remain reluctant. I also agree with the reviewer who talked about the reasons Grant was overwhelmed. That these factors seemed to suddenly go into hiding in the middle of the movie goes along with what I just said about his 180 toward Bethany. Perhaps the director or writers thought doing it this way would intensify the impact for when Grant's pent up feelings about the past being pushed aside comes out. In a way it does intensify that aspect, but it just doesn't feel right how much those feelings suddenly but temporarily disappeared.

I liked how they did "mom's prayers". Otherwise there are no other religious themes.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Let's see more of Rukiya!
Jazzie-too30 January 2020
For me, this gal was the most credible actor in the story. It was a delightful story and the daughter, also played her role like a pro. Hallmark needs to put this Rukiya Bernard in a leading role. She was so comfortable in her role, and I especially liked how natural and real her voice and expressions were. Wagner, often times over-acts and it's off-putting.
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cast
stermix50130 December 2020
The 2 cast leads show their acting abilities in this not very original but very nice romcom
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Repulsive
sverre-797-35331318 February 2021
All I could think of during this movie was homeless and drug addicts. And other unfortunate people. That people spend this kind of money on "fixing up a perfect home" is repulsive as the american dream. Which is just that greed should persevere over over others. Does he work in the "movie"? One glimpse one evening in his living room? There is only one way to become rich, to take too much money from your customers. And this movie oozes it. 1 of those pillows could keep a village in africa with food for a week. Not to mention the new sitting arrangement outside, or the new sofa. WHY, I CRY!!! And it's all too happy and merry and overplayed, the daughter said it after the ice skating appearance. "Oh dad it's not like it's the olympics". They acted as if it was even way more than merely the olympics. Is it just me or has Hallmark movies gotten even worse this last year? Not even he could save this, so why parttake?
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
almost nice
Kirpianuscus3 January 2021
It is the film of McNamara and Bernard. The film of mother prayers and bleu bowl. And the film of good, noble intentions. Because, against the obvious effort of the main actors, something remains too unrealistic to fake. The change of the attitude of Grant Oliver about his designer is too unplausible and the romance, with huge indulgence, acceptable. So, nice for the support actresses.
1 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Predictable as all the rest
velvetwynter_211 March 2020
The only thing going for this one is the background plot is different, but it contains the usual, predictable elements that run through all Hallmark movies. Dialog is lame...do people really talk like this? And do women really let themselves be talked into anything? Why is so much wrapped around coffee and phones. Not sure where the location is supposed to be, as the only place mentioned is Denver. If Denver or Colorado, Canada looks nothing like either one. I am not hung up on Hallmark movies, have only watched a few, but enough to know that same old same old is prevalent. Keep hoping that one is worth watching.
1 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great Christmas movie Hallmark!
tocanepauli14 November 2020
I must say I really did enjoy this movie. The characters were really nice and there seemed great chemistry in the whole cast. Lovely scenery - OMG even the snow seemed real! Witty dialogue and it was not too schmaltzy. It's how I would like an adult romance to go! Well done. Very good supporting actors as well.
10 plus
jewelch14 November 2020
Wow this was so good yes I highly recommend it. James Welch Henderson Arkansas. 11/13/2020
Bethany (Jill Wagner)
aab87427 April 2020
Favorite scene with Bethany (Jill Wagner) -

The breaking of the bowl.
0 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Interior Design Romance
lakebotany-3280829 February 2020
Well cast characters in a formulaic plot. Enjoyable design elements & good acting elevate an average script.