Dollhouse (TV Series 2009–2010) Poster

(2009–2010)

Love it. Dark and thoughtful.
hbabcock_287 September 2009
This show is amazing. And dark. Very, very dark. This has clearly made many people uncomfortable. However, Helo, sorry, Paul, essentially spells out the message in the pilot: when seemingly helpful technology is created someone finds a way to use it for evil.

I don't believe the show makes any apologies for the people at the Dollhouse. I believe it shows the ways those people rationalize what they are doing so they can sleep at night.

This show is a great vessel for exploring the nature of the soul and personality. What makes people who they are. Despite being wiped and implanted over and over, Echo retains some of her Caroline-ness. This show is not ultimately about "the world's oldest profession," but about what makes humans human. If you can't get past the creepy paying for people, and, yes, the singer episode, then this is really not your show.

And, speaking as a woman, I really don't find it all that offensive. I'm actually not all that certain why I should. The dolls are of both sexes and I see a strong female lead, may Whedon continue to put them on television.

I highly recommend this show. Get past the first few episodes (which Fox tinkered with) and see the brilliance beyond.
157 out of 189 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This show is amazing. I wish it would continue for years to come...
desireeportia8 January 2010
Any Joss Whedon fan knows that he creates a full world. Beginning to end and at first he gives you the smallest glimpse. So the first season you don't really grasp his concept, but as it goes along you get pulled into that world.

The psychological background and action sequences keep getting better. I've fallen in love with the characters. The story line makes me gasp with amazement. The concept grows and just boggles my mind.

The first season was the slow start, thus far the second season is amazing. Now that I've watch season one and most of season two I find myself totally immersed in the show. I look forward to it being on for an hour every week... and when the episode is over I'm in TV shock.

And then I want more!!!
42 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Kind of a shame....
Zen41628 December 2009
...that FOX is letting this one go. The time-slot didn't help (Friday night is usually the go-out-and-party-night) so most folks (like me) would TiVo this or DVR it for later viewing (which doesn't count to the networks, I guess). More's the pity. This show is really picking up steam and the story lines are getting better and better, especially now that the Echo, Sierra and Victor characters are being fleshed out more and given extremely interesting back stories. Eliza Dushku is a find as the tough, enigmatic protagonist of this series and since FOX isn't going to allow this cool show to go past two seasons, I sincerely hope they have the common sense to keep her on the payroll for other projects. Her chemistry with both good-guy Paul Ballard (Tahmoh Pennikett) and with brilliantly insane psycho nut-job Alpha (Alan Tudyk) is palpable and riveting. The casting of Olivia Williams as the ice queen in charge of the Dollhouse is spot on while Harry Lennix and Fran Kranz (as cool head security dude Langton and as genius programmer nerd Brink, respectively) add another dimension to the whole show. I'll continue watching this unique and entertaining series until it finally bows out a short time from now and hope that some other network may step in at the last minute and save it though that seems unlikely (again, pity). This is just a cool, pseudo sci-fi type show that probably had the misfortune of a cruddy time slot because everything else (the acting, writing, casting) was brilliant. Too bad more people didn't watch it or give it a chance.
69 out of 82 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brilliant
veronicamars-545-2634492 October 2009
Okay, I'll admit, when I watched the first episode of this show I was a little let down. As a long time Whedon-fan I'd had high hopes for his TV return. The pilot didn't exactly have me clapping my hands and doing cartwheels. The next few episodes held my interest, but it was mid-way through the season (when Fox stopped interfering) that the trademark Whedon-brilliance really appeared.

The show was no longer just about Echo, but started to give more screen time to the other characters, who are all as perfectly flawed and human as they can be. We started to get a stronger sense of the underlying arc, the moral ambiguities that the Dollhouse presents became more apparent and I found myself counting the hours till I could watch the next episode.

This is a show that will make you think and question. If you want mindless fluff, go elsewhere (90210, anyone?). If you want real, intelligent television (with a whole lot of fun mixed in), then Dollhouse is it.
130 out of 161 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Intelligent, complex and entertaining
WhyMe23 December 2009
Why do intelligent TV shows get cancelled all the time?

When this show moved away from single episode arcs, revolving about the assignments, and turned to handling complex themes like - how does one deal with the ethical questions around this kind of human trafficking (-> self-deception, mostly) - what makes a personality - how does an Active cope when confronted with the fact that apparently s/he gave up his/her personality willingly - what makes one give up his personality and allow oneself to be dealt with like a "thing"

Dollhouse became a truly fascinating show. Yet entertaining, captivating. Which of course led to it being cancelled. Oh, sigh.
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
2nd season brings on darkness and rewards fans
dalton080425 October 2009
As with any show "Dollhouse" took a bit of getting into for me. The 1st season had some amazing episodes but nothing that really jumped out and grabbed you. As a fan of Whedon's I chose to stick with hoping that he had something up his creative sleeve. Thankfully we were rewarded with the Alpha episodes of season one and the 'unaired' episode which showed us what he had planned for the future and hope against hope this amazing second season.

4 episodes in and the darker style suits the show so much better, Whedon and his writers are allowing the characters to grow, within the conceit of the show, and you get the impression that a whole lot of trouble is going to descend on them.

My faith in Whedon has been restored and now I hope he has the chance to complete the show.
50 out of 64 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The most underestimated new show is also the most brilliant
nvlahou22 March 2009
I was so eager for the new Whedon series (huge Firefly fan) and kind of shocked from the snap judgments everyone was passing on the show before it even aired. I was surprised that even Whedon fans seemed disappointed in the lead character, the plot and the fact that he seemed to support a morally dubious (at best) establishment. I have never seen anyone sold so shortly! The show is fantastic, and it's wonderful that Whedon chose not to reveal everything from the very start. I mean, have we become, as a culture, so impatient, that people thought that Whedon would go to all that trouble for producing a show that would offer nothing more than a different adventure every week and a main character no one can root for? Not only there seems to be an underlying concept that is slowly emerging, but the basic premise offers countless possibilities, and the opportunity to dwell on important philosophical and existential questions: what is it that makes us who we are? What does our humanity depend upon? One is reminded of Blade Runner, where memory was also key to identity. Far from endorsing human trafficking or the objectifying of women as some have suggested, Dollhouse is a brilliant show that offers both amazing action sequences and food for thought. Not to mention the hilarious brand of Whedon humor. I hope more people can discover how original and unique it is and give it the attention it truly deserves.
283 out of 423 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Piqued my curiosity and I'm hooked into this show for the duration
Fidomom9 October 2009
I love/hate/love Joss Whedon - he upset me and wowed me a lot during the Buffy seasons; that said, from the moment I heard about Dollhouse I was excited and intrigued. Mr. Whedon has not let me down - he is still messing with me, bless his evil mind, lol.

I've also enjoyed Eliza Dushku from her days as Faith on Buffy, to her lead role in Tru Calling (I still miss that show) and in her role as Sissy in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, as well - I think she's an incredibly gifted actor. She has also not disappointed me in her role as Echo/Caroline - she demands my undivided attention in every scene that she is in!

I love this show because it is different and it leaves me thinking long after each episode ends. It often makes me uncomfortable - I happen to like that in a show!

I still haven't seen Season 1's Epitaph 1, purportedly a necessary missing link between Season 1 and Season 2, and yet I am already enjoying Season 2 immensely even without it, and just 2 episodes in. Excited for episode 3 later tonight!

I am so puzzled and disheartened by negative feedback and rumours of early cancellation of this fantastic show that seem to be running amok online - IMO that would royally suck.

I love this show and I just want more and more story to be revealed. I love that the end of each episode is not all wrapped up neatly - no real sense of closure; more questions than answers! Yay! It puts me on the edge of my seat for next week's episode wondering what other pieces of the puzzle will be fitted into place next.

I don't want everything solved all at once; I just want this slow build story to keep going so I can savour it, think about it, look forward to more and mentally review what's already happened and why and speculate on what might yet happen. It piqued my curiosity from first episode onward and now I'm pretty much hooked into this show for as long as it keeps airing.

I do wish it would move to a different time slot because I think Friday nights is simply poor placement for it. JMO

My fingers are crossed that the stories inside the Dollhouse will go on, all the way through to the end of a 2nd season and hopefully even beyond that as well. That would royally rock!
59 out of 86 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Is this show it's Own Worse Enemy ?
Beginthebeguine14 February 2009
Very similar to Jason Smilovic's My Own Worse Enemy; now canceled. At first I though it might be a hit with the Tweens because there was a possible romance and some bright, flashy colors during a motorcycle race that ended in a poorly staged dance scene where Ms Dushku was all gushy in love with some guy who gives her a hearted pendant, but then the show got down to business. That business was an episode of My Own Worse Enemy not starring Christian Slater, but Eliza Dushku. Not a format for those who flock to tween movies like High School Musical 3 or read tween authors like Stephanie Myers, because there is just not enough distribution of inane characters that have no purpose in life but to strike a pose and have some deep feelings about the death of puppy love. Sure Joss Whedon takes a swipe at that dribble in the opening, but then it becomes an adult drama. So who is your audience Joss ? Is it the Buffy/Angel crowd now grown up (wasn't that Firefly ?) or are you trying to cross that threshold into the Adult Drama World. Following Smilovic's canceled show into oblivion will not help such a career move. I give it 5 out of 10 because it's Whedon, and I give it a shot for the same reason, but I doubt it will even see 9 episodes like the show it seems cloned from did.

1/01/2010 - well it did last more than the 9 episodes I predicted above back in previews, and it did get much better. But it never found it's audience which answered to the confusion I mention above. Now it is gone forever only to be DVD'ed.
124 out of 197 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Tries Hard, Falls flat
thecursor200212 May 2009
I tried pretty hard to love this show.

At first it would be easy, I loved Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. I own a Serenity poster and I hang on Whedon's every word.

But Dollhouse is kind of where he lost me. The premise, while fascinating, felt tired by episode 3. Eliza's acting skills, while impressive, are not always up to the chameleon-like requirements her character requires.

This often feels like a mash up of previous series, like it's made out of spare parts of Joss' other shows. Grab some Buffy feminism, add a little Firefly anti government paranoia, insert some of Angel's brooding self analysis. It had a "Xander", a character that should've been left out upon final analysis and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth when you realize that Wheadon needs to put a Xander in every show. Learn to grow, man. People keep telling me it's not the same has his previous shows, then why all the retreading?

It should feel fresh but it doesn't. Then there's the Season Finale which was hailed as the saving episode. Really it wasn't. Instead of the gutsy punch of previous Wheadon finales, this was a plodding and meandering discussion of Decartes and Satre using turgid dialogue and a rather limp Obama fist pump. Call me a neanderthal but philosophy on TV is just more effective when it's mixed in sugar and spoon fed instead of pounded into your skull.

At times it didn't feel like a Wheadon show, it felt like a parody of one.

On HBO, this show would've flourished but on Fox, where the viewers are sold an action show, you end up with a slightly confusing genre mix up that felt like it needed that one special ingredient to be something great. That's not Wheadon's fault of course but perhaps the blame needs to be spread around none the less.

There are bright points, solid ones. The FBI sub-plot was both fun and interesting. The revelations surrounding Alpha, Whiskey, and "The Girl Next Door" were all worth a good look and I was glad to see the direction they headed in.
82 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Love Supreme
UncleTantra12 December 2009
In season one of "Dollhouse," Joss Whedon (creator of the series) wrote only two of the episodes -- #1 - "Ghost," and #6 - "Man on the Street." True-blue fans (of which I am one) tend to think that they were the two best of that season. In season two, Joss wrote episode #1 - "Vows," but has remained absent as a writer until now. So along comes episode #8 - "A Love Supreme." If you know the works of John Coltrane, everything you need to know is in the title. "A Love Supreme" was Coltrane's masterwork. I suspect that "Dollhouse" -- short-lived as it may be -- will be regarded in the future as somewhat of a similar masterwork.

Jazz is improvisation. You start with a theme, a concept, and then -- if you have the balls -- you take it and get all Nike on its ass and Go For It. Coltrane did that with his "A Love Supreme." Joss did that with his. It's not just that every note of the basic theme led up to but could never predict the eventual epiphnal moments when the piece took flight and became something else, something transcendent to the theme. It's that every note of the first few bars in which the theme was established were *essential* to it taking flight. What came before didn't just precede what followed; what came before *enabled* what followed, and allowed it to happen.

"A Love Supreme" is not a one-hour segment in a 26-hour television series. It is chapter twenty-one in a twenty-six-chapter novel.

Sometimes when I watch "Dollhouse" I feel like a reader following the works of Dashiell Hammett, or Raymond Chandler, or, for that matter, Charles Dickens, in the first publication of one of their novels. All of these writers' novels were *serialized* in cheap pulp fiction magazines. Readers bought them for pennies and rarely realized that they were reading great literature. And what could be cheaper and more pulp fiction than broadcast television, on the FOX network, no less? And yet.

"Dollhouse" is great literature. Besides, it's funny. I don't think I'm ever going to stop laughing at Echo saying to Alpha, "He's ten times the man you are...and you're like...40 guys." :-)
33 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the BEST hours of TV I've Seen In A Long Time!
Damitlou23 February 2009
I've been waiting for this show for a long time, and I've been thrilled so far!

Granted, the synopsis of the show that I had read didn't sound like something I would be greatly interested in, I thought I'd give it a chance. And, I'm VERY happy that I did. The pilot left me looking forward to Friday all week long. And when the second episode did arrive, I'm not sure I took more than 5 breaths all hour. I was too busy taking in every little bit I could. And when it was over, I watched it again.

It does make me wonder why Fox would put it in a slot where it might get as many viewers as it could. But, I have no faith that if people just turn on their TV's they'll be hooked. I can't seem to turn it off.

My only complaint? It's not on 5 nights a week!
265 out of 459 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Good concept, Poor execution
bigfooteee9914 February 2009
The series deals with a secret organization that programs its 'agents' to fit particular clandestine assignments, through a somewhat murky process of a computer interface. In the opener Character Echo (Eliza Dushchu) opens as a motorcycle street racer but after "her treatment" becomes a prim and uptight hostage negotiator, complete with all the flaws (near-sightedness & asthma) as well as the memories of the original real person that was imprinted on her. This causes serious problems during the hostage exchange when it is revealed that one of the kidnappers is the same man that had kidnapped and raped her imprinted persona at a young age. What bothers me is that while the series is visually adept, I find myself not particularly caring about the outcome of the base person. This was briefly run through initially but lacks depth. I suspect that we will learn more of Echo's past in subsequent episodes, and I hope that I will eventually feel some empathy, but right now, I don't really care.
131 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
only a few words
ClosetedZombie24 October 2009
When i first started watching i weren't sure but i am totally addicted to it now, only sci-fi shows it in the UK and itv4 is currently showing season 1, but i wanted to watch it as soon as it aired so i watched it on the internet and it is something i look forward to every week.

I would have to say,

FIRST SEASON: THE DOLLS ARE SLEEPING, SEASON 2: THE DOLLS ARE STARTING TO WAKE

Also Eliza dushku plays an awesome lead and i love how each story is unravelling, also epitaph one should have been shown on TV because I'm sure if everyone say that they would have been hooked for life!
43 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Hits its stride at episode 6 - stick around
dylanxtra_x10 October 2009
---- Possible Spoilers ----

First of all, do not watch this show unless you have at least a little brain power to be able to understand the concept.

It's playing with morals and culpability, and power. What does it mean to live? What does it mean to be free to live?

This series starts slowly, building a rapport between the audience and the characters. It's what Joss does best when he's given room to do it. By the time you get to episode 6 in season 1, you should like some characters and dislike some others. Then the real stuff kicks in from episode 6 on.

We get swept in to the world revolving the Dollhouse, it's reason for existing, and Echo's place within it.

Each following episode pulls you deeper and deeper in, until by the last 2 episodes you're all kinds of hooked and needing more. Fortunately there is one more episode in the shape of Epitaph 1.

Epitaph 1 is a work of genius coming off the back of the events of the whole season. It leaves me totally in awe of Joss and his creativity and storytelling prowess once again. And massive kudos goes to Felicia Day for helping to bring the season to a fitting, exciting yet moving end.

You really do have to stick it out until episode 6 in season 1, however. Don't write it off for its slow beginning - as I see many have done, resulting in some quite unnecessarily scathing reviews - as the slow beginning is a great cushion for what follows.

Season 2 is starting in a similar fashion - finding its feet before it'll take off running. Eliza is helping weave the web, but the supporting cast and their characters plights is the real pull - if you have the ability able to look past the facade.

Another great TV show from Whedon and Co, no matter what the haters say. The wit is there. No, it's not Buffy. This is for grown ups. This is Joss all grown up and giving us something ahead of its time - just as Firefly was.

One of the more thought provoking shows to have come along in recent years. It's not Lost, or Heroes, or countless other shows that are all bang and no brain. This show...this'll require you to be invested. This'll require you to think about the truth of morality and its power to corrupt.
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
An emotional roller coaster that delves into the human soul
thebiddler-26 July 2010
To ask oneself how to review a television drama that lasted only two seasons poses many questions. The obvious: why did this show get canceled? And then the not-so-obvious: why did this show get canceled? Think of it like a double-sided coin, the probability is 100%. Eliza Dushku, or Echo, the main protagonist and co-producer of Dollhouse in interview expressed her concerns about how this might have come to be. Advertising being one, but mostly it was the Friday night time slot she recalled as "death" that inevitably would drag the series down.

The series seemed to have everything going for it: futuristic technology, kick-ass fight scenes, and a slew of intriguing characters to tickle the intellect or pull at the heart-strings of any science fiction or fantasy genre enthusiast. What I won't do is sit here and complain about why the show got canceled but rather try to convince you why you should sit down and give this 27 episode masterpiece a chunk of your time.

I believe the magic behind Dollhouse was fueled by the cast and crew's inevitable realization that this show might not go on forever like anticipated igniting passion into everyone that truly believed in the project and where the possibilities could lead given a six season run. The characters were concise yet elusive and open, forcing viewers to really analyze and walk inside the shoes of these complex individuals and situations inside the schizophrenic nature of The Dollhouse.

On the DVDs there are three extra episodes, all unaired. One being a sort of prequel to the series and two at the end of each season that sort of summed up all of what writer Joss Whedon wanted to say before the series was canceled. The first unaired episode begins with the director, one of many, but our series specific "Dollhouse" interviewing her next potential client. Then Echo, well, being Echo.

What Adelle DeWitt, the director, baits her newest potential client with is the opening:

"The world is a very simple place - at first. Then, as we grow up, it grows around us. A dense thicket of complication and disappointment - unbearable for some; and even for the luckiest of us still sometimes more than we can handle -- less than we'd hoped."

The life of the average "active" is not so complicated. Get imprinted with the correct memory topography to complete the assignment, get sent to the client, come back to The Dollhouse, and be erased. The client is happy, The Dollhouse gets paid, and time moves forward. What The Dollhouse creator could not anticipate was the resilience of the human mind, the idea of evolution, and the inevitable progress of science and technology.

All of these factors play into the plot line of Dollhouse, creating an intricate web of creation, betrayal, hope, and redemption, leading us into a fantastic journey through what life could be if one was able to purchase the raw emotions needed to complete their own human experience.
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WTF?! Joss? Hello??
fox-17610 March 2009
Does this corny thing come from the same guy that created brilliant Firefly/Serenity and Buffy? Or maybe he just decided to put his name on a sticker of some random show? Come on!

Dollhouse has a good and solid premise, which could easily develop into an interesting story, yet it manages to kill this premise with stupendous lack of imagination. Instead of some dark, sinister plot with mind-wiped agents doing dirty deeds we get a diary of an escort. It's beyond me how they managed to frack up such a simple idea. All that came before did it better. Take "Nikita" for example. Or "Hitman" (the game).

And whose brilliant idea was it to put Eliza up for the job? FFS, her character gets a new personality at least twice a day, didn't they think that deserved a *slightly* more talented and versatile actress? Wooden acting has been given a new meaning here.

I don't know where this series is going and if I will follow, but I do hope they pull the plug on this one soon, because a lot of people are going to wish they had their minds wiped after watching it.
129 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
One of the worst shows in the last 5 years
choda197710 April 2009
So I read a few of the user reviews here and I guess this is one of those instances where personal opinion reigns supreme as I cannot for the life of me figure out what people enjoy about this show. The only thing I that comes to mind are 12-18 year old guys who just happen to think Elisha Dushku is hot...what else is there? Coming from the man who created Firefly, one of the most innovative, well written shows I've ever seen, I really hoped Dollhouse would capture some of that same "magic" that Firefly gave to it's viewers. Unfortunately, I think Joss Whedon must have used all of his good ideas on Firefly and all he has left is Buffy scraps...

First of all...if I hadn't known Joss Whedon had created Dollhouse and was watching it, I NEVER would have guessed that he was behind this show. I'm sorry Joss but this show is just crap...the concept is ridiculous, the acting is marginal at best(Sorry Joss but Miss Dushku isn't exactly much of an actress), and the execution of the show is something any first time director could have pulled off.

If Dollhouse was written by the guy behind the Weekend at Bernie's movies then I might be impressed as at least it would show a small amount of creative growth...but to go from a show like Firefly with dialog that I can still recall off the top of my head to this day because of it's imaginative tone, to the hollow, emotionless banter between the Dollhouse characters...well it's like Da Vinci painting the Mona Lisa and then deciding that "finger painting" is his true passion! This show is not catered to intelligent adults...maybe not even intelligent teenagers...each episode I watch seems unplanned...as if there isn't even a written script and the actors are just "winging it." If I had to pick one thing in particular that made this show difficult to watch it would be the premise...I mean seriously, even in the sci fi world, this "Dollhouse" organization sounds completely ridiculous. Who in their right mind would finance something like that? The fact that the people in the "Dollhouse" are basically zombies until they receive a new "personality" or whatever they call it makes for little interest in who the characters are personally. I could give a crap about Eliza Dushku's background and where she came from because the writing gives me no reason to do so...

Unfortunately, this is one of those shows that just "is"....in no way do I feel any connection to any of the characters and the story lines are so weak that the only way I could watch something like this is if I was too drunk to change the channel! My opinion is that since Joss was burned by Fox with Firefly, he feels the need to come up with a show THEY would like and not him. I think he was hoping a hot girl kicking people's butts and stuff would appeal to the "Fox" audience given his former success with Buffy. We already have that Joss and it's on an hour before your Dollhouse...and oddly enough it's Summer Glau from your very own Firefly series. I wish you were behind the Sarah Connor Chronicles....now that is a show I can really enjoy. Take some notes from that the next time you're allowed to come up with a series.
114 out of 217 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
OMG! Why?
westcrow200213 February 2009
Was it really necessary to make television worse by creating Dollhouse? Can Eliza Dushku play any other character than Faith? Which begs the question__why didn't she just do Faith instead of Echo on Dollhouse? I wouldn't be surprised at all if FOX pulls the series after the 2nd episode. Dollhouse will most definitely tank. There is no doubt about that in my mind. The story line is flat, pointless and boring. I almost fell asleep watching the pilot. The other actors on the show don't seem to know how to act. Plus, did anyone notice that the lab used to reprogram people like Echo looks a whole lot like Wolfram and Hart from Angel? Speaking of another similarity I noticed that Amy Ackers formerly Fred/Illyria of Angel guest starred on the show. Joss, really. You could make this crap up but you couldn't create a movie to resolve the cliffhanger on Angel?
137 out of 266 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The world's oldest profession meets the walking dead
vaesther1 May 2009
As most, I also loved Firefly and Serenity (actually I hated the ending of Serenity). It is out of respect for the creator of these shows, Joss Wheaton, that I give Dollhouse a rating higher than I believe it deserves. But the truth is, I really disliked this show from the first episode.

The concept is no more than the world's oldest profession meets the walking dead! Yes, there were a few episodes thrown in in an attempt to make one think the subjugation of women and men has it merits when it is done for a good cause. But that concept is severely lacking even in this sci-fi world.

I attempted to watch more of Dollhouse after my initial dismay because it is written by Mr. Wheaton. But I could never stomach more than the first half hour of an episode.

The episode where the "organization" made a client pay above the normal asking price for a date with a doll because he wanted to hunt and kill her, in my opinion made this the worst show I had seen on television in many years! I had hoped to hear of ferocious feedbacks from angry women and men who viewed this TV series with dismay and contempt. However, the outcries never came. Hopefully the outcries of bad ratings will end this travesty!
76 out of 142 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Dollhouse is awful
jjbagdigian13 February 2009
Don't waste your time. The series premiere was awful. I have been a longtime fan of Eliza Dushku and I don't know if it's the writing or what but she sucked as Echo. She can't seem to play anything but Faith (case in point, she dances in the pilot exactly like Faith). Fox was better off reviving Tru Calling. Why Joss Whedon didn't create Faith the Vampire Slayer is anyone's guess but I can say that Dollhouse will most likely flatline soon. The story took too long to get to the point. It didn't catch me in the first 10 minutes and it was downhill from there. The only good thing it had was a fight scene with Tahmoh Penikett where he's shirtless. That does not make for a good show. Sorry to say but Dollhouse needs to go.
133 out of 263 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
godawful.
nickybee1215 February 2009
I enjoyed Buffy - and I was a huuuge Firefly fan (loved the movie, got the box set etc etc).

But Dollhouse is just atrocious. Joss Whedon usually masterfully constructs his unique take on the world - whether the vampires and their hunters of Buffy or the galactic wanderers of Firefly.

With Dollhouse he has misfired in a major way. Dushku is annoying and repetitive but it's not entirely her fault.

Where are the snappy and eminently quotable lines we all knew and loved in Firefly. Where is the solid direction and story development.

Nowhere. Instead we get Mulder-style cop angst from Tahmoh Penikett's character and some weird but lazy hybrid of Dark Angel, Alias and La Femme Nikita from Dushku.

Out of respect for Joss Whedon I will watch one more - but if there isn't marked improvement that'll be the last one.
145 out of 291 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Joss or dross?
bibimimi27 February 2009
I just sat through end to end screenings of 'Firefly" and saw 'Serenity' a couple times on cable. I came away floored at the action, humor, and character interaction. You CARED about these people and their struggle, destiny and dignity. 'Dollhouse', as yet, hasn't displayed half the wit or hook of 'Firefly' or 'BTVS'. It's very hard for me to watch Echo and her protector interact knowing it's artificial and temporary. And I heard Olivia Williams' character icily declare "It's complicated..." in her proper diction twice too often in the first two episodes. I hear the ratings are faltering, and I see what the trouble is; even with dear Eliza (a stone goddess!) this 'Dollhouse' isn't a lot of fun to play in.
125 out of 249 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Faith-bot
korereview1 March 2009
If this hadn't been a Joss Whedon project, I never would have sat through the pilot, let alone two further episodes. I'm a huge Buffy fan, tolerated Angel (mostly because it provided a vehicle for Spike to survive a little longer) and occasionally enjoyed Firefly (although it had some unbearably cheezy elements, some of which have been imported into Dollhouse). In general, it seems like Whedon's been moving further and further away from all the things he did well, and that each post-Buffy project has been increasingly watered-down and uninspired. I really wanted to like Dollhouse, but if it gets cancelled soon (which seems likely), I can't really say it's undeserved.

Things that are wrong with this show: The premise of the series is so contrived, unrealistic, and silly, that it's hard to care about anything that happens. Buffy had the far-fetched vampire angle, but set it in the context of very real-life situations and concerns that everyone (at least of a certain generation) could relate to.

You'd think that someone would have pointed out to Whedon that deliberately making the central character in his series a girl who (literally) has no personality might be a bad move. The fact that she takes on a new identity for the duration of each episode makes it even worse, as there's no continuity. Since most female TV characters are vacuous, empty shells anyway, this device hardly seems necessary. The effect is comparable to what it would have been like if Whedon had based Buffy the Vampire Slayer on the Buffy-bot instead of real Buffy (eek).

What made Buffy (and, at times, Angel) so good was the witty dialogue and cast of eclectic characters. Neither of these are present in Dollhouse. The dialogue is flat and the cast is populated by the usual generically attractive people you see in every TV show. For a show to be effective, you have to have more than one interesting character. So far, Dollhouse has none.

I don't know how other people feel about it, but personally I couldn't stand the character of Faith and used to cringe every time she appeared on Buffy, so I'm not so excited to see Eliza Dushku at the centre of this show. I'd rather watch a series based on the Chaos Demon than on her...

Last, given the premise of the show, it's hard to see where it can go: if Faith/Echo-bot eventually grows a real personality, then she won't be a "doll" in the dollhouse anymore, in which case the premise is trashed; and if she doesn't, then she will remain uninteresting. Either way, the show's hooped.

Here's hoping that it somehow turns out to be a good series anyway!
133 out of 270 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Off-the-charts awful
greenlivinisthelife16 February 2009
The whole thing was a mess. The entire cast is pretty. That's typical Joss Whedon. The set was beautiful. We got used to fantastic sets like the inside of Serenity, and the hotel lobby on "Angel". Dushku and Acker were there. That was nice.

The thing that was missing was the writing we got used to in Whedon's other series. There was no wit, no humor, no banter. The whole show was just a bunch of pretty people nancing around, hitting their marks, and reading flat, uninteresting lines.

I'd say I hope the show will get better, but then I don't remember one bad episode of "Firefly", "Buffy", or "Angel". I was hooked from the first minute to the last on each of those shows. I'm not the least bit interested after this pilot to know what happens to these people. I think I'll just watch my "Firefly" collection again.
133 out of 270 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.