Green Lantern (2011) Poster

(2011)

It wasn't that bad, why the hate?
BigMaxAttacks6 October 2011
I saw Green Lantern with my son because it looked safe enough and I used to collect the comic books when I was a kid. I felt like I was the only guy over 20 at the theater, which I guess isn't surprising anymore. Did think there would be more adults, however, because the Green Lantern was something we read in my generation. Not sure if it's even around anymore. Being a fan of the comic book I had to go see it, and I was intrigued with the movie. After I got home I jumped on the computer and read the reviews. I was very disappointed with the professional reviews that cast stones at it, while at the same time, regular folk like myself thought it was a pretty good stab at the DC comic book version. I guess I look for something different when I go to the movies. I go to unwind and enjoy myself for a couple of hours, and Green Lantern worked for me.
182 out of 199 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A World Of Overreaction
Jimmyboyjr45 October 2011
While I admit this movie had it's flaws, I do strongly believe this movie has been vastly underrated by the public. Unfortunately Green Lantern came at a time when comic inspired novels have been done almost to death. While most done quite brilliantly (most being the operative word here) Green Lantern I believe did not live up to the expectations we now have of comic adaptations.

Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan was a great choice for the role of The Green Lantern, the character arc while helping you to understand the character of Hal Jordan was sufficient I do believe they could of well exceeded what they did.

For a story as immense as the Green Lantern I believe that the close to two hours was to short to completely describe and help understand the Green Lantern universe. The length I believe to be the biggest drawback in this movie. In my opinion the movie should of been closer to the length of The Watchmen to completely illustrate the complexity and brilliance that the Green Lantern universe really is.

For me, I believed the hype going into this movie, I had a completely closed mind and fully expected this movie to be as one critic described it "Green Lantern, The worst comic book movie ever made". Honestly I have to say that I'm glad that I read that review before viewing this movie as it made it all that sweeter when the movie went beyond all I thought it would be and greatly impressed me.

I'm sorry that this movie was received so badly because the chances of seeing a sequel have dropped and in a universe where anything is possible I think we will miss out on all that the Green Lantern franchise could be.
55 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Green Lantern
MR_Heraclius24 February 2020
Nothing too exciting. Almost boring at times. Some cool effects. It was okay.
45 out of 51 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What A Nice Surprise
stormhappy1063 January 2015
I avoided this film for for a long time because I thought that many didn't like it(a la Daredevil)but was I wrong to avoid it! I loved this movie and have now seen it many times.

I barely remember reading Green Lantern as a kid, but who cares, this was a fun, exciting and impressive movie.

Ryan Reynolds was perfect as Hal Jordan, and everyone else was fine also.

Special Effects were top-notch.

The film still made an impressive $116 million domestically, which shows that many people ignored the ignorant critics.

Parallax was a superb creation.

I intend to see this film many more times in the future.
47 out of 55 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated Comic Flick That Deserves More Praise
SciFiSheriff30 December 2011
Comic book adaptations are quickly becoming one of the most popular movie genres of the modern era. With high speed action, a good story and some great acting, who could blame it. however there is one film that is constantly battered by fans and movie goers alike.

Yes, this is my review of Green Lantern.

(Note; I do not believe in Millions of years, so i'm just going to leave it out of this review. I ignore usually these kind of references)

The plot goes like this;

Somewhere in the universe, a mighty force of nature called Parallax, who feeds on the fear of the universe, escapes custody by a green lantern warrior known as Abin Sur. Parallax fatally wounds Abin but he narrowly escapes instant death in an escape pod. He contacts the rest of the green lanterns and tells them who he encountered and that he will die. His pod lands on earth and at the brink of death he is met by a man who was brought there by his power ring. He passes on the ring to the man, Hal Jordan, and tells him to speak the oath. He does, and becomes one of the green lanterns. It eventually falls on him to save the universe from Parallax and defeat him once and for all.

While this movie doesn't live up to the standards of "Captain America- The First Avenger" or the Nolan Batman Trilogy, this film is still quite enjoyable.

I'll admit, the acting wasn't that great. There was no real character that stood out for me as being well acted but it was still watchable. As for the characters themselves, they were quite interesting. Although the human characters were interesting to an extent, It's the green lanterns that stole the show. Their is one scene were all the green lanterns are having a conference of some sort. There are so many green lanterns that sometimes all you see is green. Each one looks different and unique; I actually pause at this part to see what other strange beings i missed inn the first viewing. Props to the designers for creating some brilliant looking creatures.

The story isn't to special, but it is interesting. It's nothing more than the normal super-hero origin story, with a couple of unorthodox plot lines. The movie's ending tells you that there is another movie coming. I won't spoil, But green Lantern fans will like it, If they didn't like the movie itself.

The villain, I thought, is what brings the film down a notch. Halfway through the film a scientist gets infected by the power source of Parallax, corrupting him into a monstrous creature that can control objects with his eyes. I wasn't too fond of the guy. His motives for his actions were uninteresting making some of the "intence" scenes a little tedious, but this is a minor fault.Parallax is more impressive. There are some scenes were he is tearing through the city eating everything in his path. However, like the other guy (Who's name escapes me), Parallax lacks motive for what he does other than the fact he needs fear to become more powerful.

One of the most interesting things about the green lanterns is the power to make thought reality. For example, you can think of a massive artillery gun and it would appear right beside you. This is an interesting concept and is far more diverse to other superheros. Although there are plenty of scenes of this power, I thought it was under used; Sometimes all they did was fire balls of green energy at their enemies which I thought was a waste.

Don't let that put you off though. There are some impressive action scenes to sink your teeth into. The battle at the end with Parallax is definitely worth seeing. It didn't have as much action as i thought it would have or would have liked but it still was satisfying.

All in all, a great summer action flick. Not everyone's cup of tea but if you just like watching movies and are willing to bypass mistakes, this is the film for you. With over use of CGI ad badly created villains, it wasn't the best way to start a franchise but it is still enjoyable none the less.
30 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The critics are way overreacting.
Loving_Silence18 June 2011
Now let me begin by saying this film is not an amazing film. It is definitely not an awful film, like most critics are saying. I think critics might have raised their expectations due to Thor and X-Men: First Class. They should not compare the Green Lantern with those films. It is ranked now 24% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is way too low. It would probably be in the high 60s, if it was released before Thor and X-Men: First Class.

The acting in the film is good and not terrible at all. Ryan Reynolds is great as Hal Jordan and extremely likable. He definitely fits the role as Hal Jordan really well. Blake Lively is great and extremely sexy, she's not just a pretty face as most are suggesting. Peter Sarsgaard is a great actor and he plays the villainous Hector Hemmond really well and interesting. Overall everyone tries their best and at the end of the day do a really great job, certainly no Oscar worthy performances, though.

The special effects are pretty superb and extremely worthwhile to say the least. Although it sometimes feel a little CGIish, but it doesn't get too big of a distraction. I have to say I was a little disappointed how Parallax looked like, it felt a little fake at times, but it is not horrible in any sense of the way. Also the film did not take itself seriously which is kind of refreshing. Which could be the reason why critics disliked it so much. They want another sad, personal and serious story. Unlike Thor and X-Men, The Green Lantern is more kids friendly.

The main problem of the film was that they were trying to cram stuff in from the comics and the personal lives of the other characters. It seems that there could be so many sequels for the other characters. It did kind of focus on too many characters. Also the editing gets to be a little distracting at times, they certainly needed to have done a better job, but the editing is mediocre at best.

Overall the Green Lantern was a fun summer flick. Although it is nowhere near the realm of The Dark Knight, it didn't need to be. The 3D was actually really good and the special effects were memorable. No doubt, the critics were extremely tough on the Green Lantern and it is unfair. At the end of the day, don't listen to the critics. Make up your mind and see this film. At the end of the day, it should be only your opinion that matters to you. You might agree with the critics or you might not. However don't skip this movie because of the low Rotten Tomatoes score.
557 out of 738 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie could have been so much better
abecipriano20 June 2011
As someone who's followed Green Lantern a little bit of a decent amount (not big but fairly decent, for DC character), I liked some things about the movie; but I definitely say that it could have been made better, both for casual fans, non-GL fans or hard core ones.

Good points... 1. It stuck fairly consistently with the mythos of the origin and Planet OA; 2. Ryan Reynolds did decently as Hal Jordan (though he fits more with the Kyle Rayner/Guy Gardner type than Jordan) -- but I wish he was more serious; though non-GL fans couldn't care less about this; 3. Blake Lively was eye candy; super hot, but not much else; 4. Green Lanterns Tomar Re, Kilowog and Abin Sur were damn good but didn't have enough screen time to be significant; 5. Mark Strong's Sinestro was excellent! 6. Hector Hammond was well portrayed by Peter Saarsgard (though it lacked a proper finish) 7. Good supporting cast from Tim Robbins (Sen. Hammond) to Angela Bassett (Amanda Waller); 8. Green Lantern's costume was wicked; 9. Visual/CGI effects were pretty good

Bad Points... > It tried to fit too much into one movie, moving back and forth from Earth and outer space/OA, thus there was no proper flow... (like when there was a build up of momentum, things go slow or boring; or from serious to funny without proper pacing); too many stories were crammed into one movie > Humor was misplaced at times (good peg is Thor which had it in the flow rather than contrived/forced) > Parallax looked comical; scary at times but only a couple of times > Like Iron Man 2, I wish the fight scenes were so much more; they spent too much on the set-up that the fights were short and could have been so much more and elaborate. > Some scenes and even some characters were not necessary (Hal's best friend, even some scenes with Blake's Carol Ferris were not needed); they should have added more action instead

Summary, visual effects, actors, GL base story good. But the way the writers and director put things together were a mixture of various plots and subplots crazy glued into one movie for pure entertainment. Kids will enjoy it, but adults likely will not. This is a summer of superheroes, with 3 down and one more to go (well, technically 5 with Transformers if you're thinking comic book stories), so it's quite impossible not to compare them to each other.

The director is known to direct good flicks like Goldeneye and Casino Royale (two good movies), but I wish he did more; studied more, had split up more stories to be more single- minded and not work on a cluttered material.
138 out of 185 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than critics say.
sathervbc28 April 2020
This movie wasn't that bad. Idiot critics and media gave it the negativity. Most I know that have seen it, liked it.
8 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
true to comics
adidas65622 June 2011
First, I see that this movie has been getting negative reviews. However, it is the first superhero movie of its type. As an avid green lantern fan, I have to say that it does exactly what it should do, set-up the character.

I would not have chosen this particular plot line as the basis for the first movie. I would have gone with an approach more like the DC animated cartoon, Green Lantern First Flight. That would have appealed to a much wider audience.

However, I can assure you, that if they make sequels, this is a good starting point. Give the movie a chance, see if you like the character, I guarantee you, Hal Jordan's stories only get better from here. Case in point, Geoff Johns has won numerous awards for the comic book series Green Lantern.

Anyway, my opinion, see the movie, then watch Green Lantern First Flight. You will appreciate the movie much more that way.

As a side note, Green Lantern Emerald Knights, is not really important to the general concept. It is more just background information on a few of the other lanterns, and the only important segment, you get the full story in Green Lantern First Flight.
51 out of 69 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Likable Comic Book Movie
ladymidath26 May 2012
I know a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern but I don't know why. It was a fun movie with a good solid lead in Ryan Reynolds. It was not as dark as The Dark Knight or V For Vendetta but that is not the nature of Green Lantern. The special effects were good and the casting was fine. Tim Robbins was well cast as Hammond as was Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond. Kudos to Mark Strong as Sinestro. I do hope they do a sequel with him as Sinestro was one of my favourite villains. All up it was a solid film and one I enjoyed immensely. Pity some people were disappointed but to be honest, I don't know what they were expecting as the film stayed reasonably true to the character and the tone of the comic books.
45 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A True Green Lantern Fan with More Than a High School Education!
revanformvii21 June 2011
I just have to do it, I just have to correct all the haters out there...

No summary, no spoilers, just points on what makes a movie.

Storyline: 8/10 Was it award winning? No, but what super hero movie is? The becoming a Green Lantern of Hal Jordan follows the original comics perfectly. If you know the comics, you know the beginning. If you never read them, then you learn a lot real fast. The story introduces only characters necessary to the plot and nothing more. Hal, Carol, Senestro, Parallax, the Guardians, Abin Sur, Tomar-Re, and Kilowog. They easily could have introduced way too many guardians, way too fast, but they didn't. Parallax's origins are changed a little but it works out for the better, remember not everything that works in a book works on screen. All in all, storyline was good, it kept a good pace. Always remember it is an origins story so the 2 hours isn't completely filled with action but neither Casee nor I got bored.

Acting: 8/10 No Ryan R. did not screw up Hal Jordan. Alright, I'll admit Hal may not be as witty as Ryan played him but Hal was sure as hell a smart ace in the comics. I thought it fit. I went in thinking, "This is going to be great, or really going to suck." Luckily, casting was very well done. Carol: Blake did a fine job. I do agree with another review that said they wished someone a little more intellectual/mature would play Carol, but in the long scheme of things, Blake didn't get a terrible amount of screen time to prove herself. Maybe as Star Sapphire she may pull out. Lantern Corp: Sinestro 10/10 Tomar-Re: 10/10 Kilowog: 10/10 Abin Sur: 10/10 I can't say much else besides that these characters lived up to the comics perfectly. I loved them all.

Graphics/CGI: 8/10 Why 8? Eh, there were a few, just a few I tell you, parts where the graphics pulled the cartoon look of Spiderman 3. PLEASE! don't be afraid by this, all in all the graphics were awesome. Oa was beautiful, just a couple notches below Asgard in Thor. Green Lantern Ring effects were great, all around solid.

Costumes/sets: 9/10 First, short and sweet. Live action sets: average. Skylines just like any other city, Ferris Airforce Base: good enough. Nothing spectacular but it wasn't the center of the movie. Costumes: STOP HATING ON THE CGI COSTUMES!!!!!!! Even the the comics the suits were made from energy and that is what the movie did. A powerful ring of willpower isn't going to POOF put anyone in spandex or rubber armor. The mask appears when the identity of a Lantern needs to be protected and eye color changes as well. PERFECT to me.

Length: 7/10 Although, as I said before there were a few slow parts, I would have liked to see the movie for a few minutes longer. Towards the end, yes, a little rushed but it didn't ruin the whole movie. 10-15 minutes longer to put it just at the 2 hour mark would have been perfect for an origins story to me. Took off a couple points here.

Overall: 8/10 By all means it is not as bad as Catwoman or Daredevil as some are writing. Those who make that comment are probably the ones who think Transformers is somehow an epic movie. Anyways, it is a good solid super hero movie. Maybe, not one of the greats like Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and Thor, but still a great movie that wouldn't be bad to take the mature enough younger kids. Parallax is a little scary and there are a few curse words, but by all means, this is not a racy film.

Remember: Stay after the credits...
370 out of 572 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Well, I loved it.
pooingfish18 July 2011
This film is a highly underrated masterpiece, fast paced, fun and true to the comic. The cast is almost right, though they should have used somebody more serious for the lead than Ryan Reynolds, Sam Worthington perhaps. Blake Lively makes a sexy helpless heroine and Peter Sarsgaard does a fine job as a creepy bad guy, albeit one covered in makeup. All in all this deserves to be up there with Superman II, Dark Knight and the first two Spidermans. I really do hope they'll ignore the critics and box office revenue to make a second one, as I feel one of the reasons its flopped is because many people who have watched it had never read the comic beforehand, meaning it was harder to pick up some parts of the plot.
39 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Introduces Character
nogodnomasters27 February 2018
The movie starts with a CG background science fiction origins of Green Lantern. The power of the Green Lantern is given to those who do not know fear. Parallax is introduced as the evil force which is "fear." As a Green Lantern lays crashed he releases his Green Lantern ring (force) to someone who doesn't know the meaning of the word "fear." Clearly that is Hal Jordon (Ryan Reynolds) who thinks he is Tom Cruise in "Top Gun" as he defeats 2 High tech pilot-less air craft by using a maneuver from Ironman.

The movie spends a lot of time building background and lays the foundation for a multiple sequels. This is mostly an introduction of the character.

While the Green Lantern is flying around impressing his former gf, mad scientist and son of a senator, Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) has been experimenting by injecting himself with microbes, which happen to be alien, creating the super villain for our super hero. They spent a ton of money on special effects. The ring may never make a mistake, but the casting director did. They should have gone the extra expense to get some real box office stars. Ryan Reynolds didn't hack it.

No sex, no nudity, and no F-bombs. Good for kids.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"In Brightest Day..."
XweAponX27 June 2011
I have the Green Lantern Comics (Numbers 49-51 circa 1993) where Hal Jordan goes crazy and smashes the main power battery on OA, and gives up his GL status to a new Green Lantern. But Hal Jordan has always been Green Lantern to me, even with other people putting the ring on over the years.

This film accounts the story of how Hal Jordan was chosen by the ring, as the dying Abin Sur sends out the ring to find a successor. Not to get into too much of a spoiler here, so I won't say how that happens in the film, which is slightly different than the original "Origin or Green Lantern" stories I have read when I was a kid, suffice it to say, the people who made this film had 5 decades of Green Lantern stories to get into a 2 hour film. And they did it good.

I saw this in 3D and it was adequate 3D, the look of Green Lantern was sort of a blend of all the different changes in costume he had over the years. Ryan Reynolds was a very good Hal Jordan, and Blake Lively a very very good Carol Ferris. A lot of the characters from the comics are in this, there is a "Pieface" but he is not Asian, there is an appearance by Sinestro who in this film is the head of the Green Lantern Corps, which includes veteran Green Lantern Tomar-Re voiced by Geoffery Rush, and Micheal Clark Duncan voicing Kilowog, all much loved GL characters, and the appearance of the Green Lantern Corps was a very good idea.

The Guardians of OA looked much like they looked in the comics, they named none of the Guardian Actors save Warren Burton and Salome Jens (who was the main Shape-Shifter in Star Trek: Deep Space 9), the rest of them are, well they are just Guardians. the evil entity Parallax was voiced by one of my favourite actors, Clancy Brown.

As far as Production, some great names popped out during the credits: James Newton Howard did a very good score, on par with his King Kong score, and the whole production was designed by another who worked on King Kong: Oscar winner Grant Major who had that same job in Lord of the Rings trilogy - And the costumes were done by another Lord of the Rings veteran, Ngila Dickson, another Oscar winner.

As far as the director, I had never heard of Martin Campbell except for Casino Royale and Vertical Limit, but one name did pop out: Stuart Baird, a veteran Editor, who has edited some great films all the way back to the Donner version of Superman II, Gorillas in the Mist, and of course he directed Star Trek: Nemesis which I rather liked.

Green Lantern being one of my favourite comic books when I was a kid, I was very gratified to see this film- They really did not take very many liberties with the stories which they cultivated to make this film, so I give it a 10 - Mostly because I can care less what anyone's lame gripes about this film are, I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was done very well.
59 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Green Lantern was GREAT!!!!!!
mvickk518 June 2011
I do not understand the various bad reviews on rotten tomato. I took my family and they all loved it and so did everyone else in the theater ( a loud applause confirmed that at the end of the movie). Filled with much more action than the great X-men First Class, I felt that Green Lantern delivered in a great way. Not to mention, this is one film that actually works great in 3D. Personally i loved the film and hope that people will start to go to the movies without checking various reviews before hand. If you like Ryan Reynolds, or if your a die hard Green Lantern (Geoff Johns) reader like myself, you will love this movie. I gave it a 9/10. Very entertaining, not over the top, easy to follow, great special effects and the usual occasional humor from Ryan Reynolds. Defiantly a great summer film. Critics are way to harsh on this film. Trust me give it a chance. According to rotten tomato, Mr. Poppers Penguins is worth going to see over Green Lantern. Give me a break lol come on!!! Take your family to a great summer action film. Do yourself a favor and go see Green Lantern.
44 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Decent flick. Not half as bad as some of the critics have been making it out.
karl-oneill17 June 2011
A decent comic book adaptation of the DC comic book character Green Lantern.

It's certainly not as bad as some critics have made it out to be.

It's fun, the action sequences are flashy and exciting. The acting is all top notch and the humor is done really well.

Green Lantern is unpretentious, probably even one of the most unpretentious superhero movies ever made. It embraces its inherent goofiness and excludes much of the angst and over-seriousness that we seen in other comic book movies like Batman and Spiderman.

The after-credits scene is awesome. A real fan pleaser and hopefully they will make a sequel.
347 out of 555 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I enjoyed it.
TxMike12 November 2011
Three months ago I watched the animated movie that covers essentially the same story, that of the hot-shot, sometimes irresponsible American test pilot that gets recruited into the Green Latern Corps, the several thousand who each have a sector of the universe to protect.

Here we get real people telling the story. Ryan Reynolds is the focus as test pilot Hal Jordan. He is flying a test mission to help demonstrate the advantages of a new fighter plane when he pulls a very risky move and ends up destroying the plane. Soon after he is pulled into the presence of a dying Green Lantern, who tells him "the ring has chosen you." When he is transported to the secret location, in a far corner of the universe, he is met with much skepticism.

All the other green lanterns are from races much older than the human race, and they doubt that an Earthling human has what it takes. This of course provides the drama for Hal's quest to prove himself and become what our comic books refer to as the Green Lantern.

A large obstacle is the evil monster of sorts that is absorbing the energy of others and in the process growing more powerful. Unstopped it would destroy the universe as we know it. Hal needs to become the hero that stops the monster and in the process earning his status.

Good movie, I enjoyed it.
16 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
tiagoabreu200728 March 2018
Not the best superhero movie of all time but this was a lot of fun. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious and a lot of the action is great. You can also tell that the people who made this film were actual fans of the character and his history, staying relatively faithful (for a movie) to the source material and comics. I wish they had done another one.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Fun, easy flick
baldclub13 September 2011
You know what? I like this movie. Fun, good action, comic book stuff which I love, and sure, some decent acting to boot. The female lead is hot, strong and she can act. The bad guys are kind of the problem in this movie, too many weird connections trying to bring too many Green Lantern enemies into one flick.

I think this movie is a little irreverent in terms of comic book movies, takes some jabs at itself and has fun in the process. I've never seen Ryan Reynolds before, reminds me of Jason from True Blood, but he did a very good job.

I recommend it for what it is: light, fun and comic book entertainment.
11 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This movie is what I've been waiting for my entire comic life!
dtwmiller-83-69233717 June 2011
I have been reading the comic for over 40 years and I was blown away by this. I understand that they can't make the movie exactly like the comic and I am fine with that. I want to say that the entire cast was superb, except for the part of Hector Hammond (the growing forehead was just a bit too nasty for me). Mark Strong as Sinestro was a perfect choice! Ryan Reynolds was also superbly cast. I think that the special effects for the movie were done very well and I applaud the movie makers for making the aliens seem very lifelike. Too many times they seem to get lazy with this or give the aliens very poor makeup. Do not go in with a closed mind on this. Give it a chance and I believe you will be well rewarded. I like the concept for this movie and thoroughly applaud the effort.
41 out of 60 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Not Easy Being Green.....
Fields20119 June 2011
I went to see Green Lantern because a friend of mine was boycotting DC for such a long time because there has been no release of a Green Lantern movie. Sure, there were plenty reincarnations of Batman and Superman, but where's Green Lantern? Someone out there listened to his plea, and the result is this.....

A mess.

I will go on record to say that it's at least enjoyable. Even though the movie seems to be everywhere in its storytelling, with characters being underdeveloped and random things just happening. I would say that during this movie, I had a hard time finding a bathroom break. I was at least interested to see where the movie is going.

Let me try to explain this movie: There is this elite group of Green Lanterns led by Sinestro (well played by Mark Strong) who are having a hard time beating this giant alien in the Milky Way called The Parallax. So when their alien friend who's name I cannot remember falls to earth and dies, his ring is sent out to choose a new victim, and somehow it chooses Ryan Reynolds. Mr. Reynolds discovers that he has a new ability, and that he is the earth's only hope, but he can't handle that until the end of the movie. Not only that, but some doctor guy turns into an evil alien which, I guess, is controlled by Parallax, and Ryan has to stop him too.

I must say that I was intrigued by the doctor subplot where he is not accepted by his father (Tim Robbins) and slowly goes insane until he turns into John Travolta from Battlefield: Earth. I also liked seeing Ryan Reynolds in the movie because he brings energy to what could otherwise be a boring movie, and I was enjoying both stories that were coming along. The problem is that the whole movie felt disjointed, and not only did scenes felt random, but events turn random too.

Like the scene where Reynolds is chosen by the ring. It just happens out of nowhere. One minute he's talking to this kid (which never served much purpose to the film) and then all of a sudden he's walking and gets carried away in green light to that dying alien dude. This happened in more than one occasion. Also the CGI was all over the place, even on Reynold's outfit, and it's rather distracting. It's very vibrant and colorful (which is good), but it looked very cartoonish and took me out of the film. I also mentioned that the characters are underdeveloped, which goes a lot to Sinestro and that Parallax thing they are trying to fight. Heck, even the love interest felt underdeveloped. By the end of the film, I felt like I barely knew the characters, with just a likable performance by Ryan Reynolds.

However, Green Lantern isn't boring, just purely average. I think the reason why I sort of liked this film was that I went into it not expecting much. I already had groups of people telling me that this film is awful before its release, so I ended up getting a little more than I expected. Just a little. It was still entertaining, to say the least.
96 out of 152 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" There is a great power which fears only the Power of my Ring "
thinker169120 December 2012
In 1938, comic Imigination arrived at Dectective Comics with the Introducted of the Dark Knight also called The Batman. Before long a plethora of others soon followed, among them was the mysterious " Green Lantern. " Hal Jordan AKA Green Lantern are both played by Ryan Reynold. The story reaches back to the 20th century and the space age. Here we find our hero and his special selection by a celestial being who reaches into his chosen's human heart to learn that he possesses true Courage and no fear. That, then is the primary ingredient for his selection and the gist of the legend. Once you enter the myth of the Green Lantern, you also enter the vast din of the Universe and it's mystical powers, where beings from other planets are collected to fight their Nemesis, . . . Fear. This film does it's best to take our Hero and the audience to their world and the battlefield of the Universe. It's a fabulous journey and one which is responsible for the enjoyment of the cinema, A great slice of DC comics transformed into the stuff of imagination and the world of Entertainment. Recommended to all. ****
18 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movies are for enjoyment. The Critics were kind of harsh, This isn't batman people! It's harder to pull off
jesusjr-rodrig7 December 2012
I enjoyed this movie, it was not bad, and despite all the criticism I really liked it. If you go in giving it a chance and just looking to enjoy it, you just might. It's a bit harder to get into than the usual hero movies, but other than that the only fault might be that it was a bit ambitious. It's kind of a strange story for those not familiar with green lantern , but give it a shot.

First of all I am not the worlds most hardcore green lantern fan, but I do love heroes, and green lantern is an awesome one. It's to bad though that green lantern is not quite as iconic outside of the world of big comic book and hero fans. I think that was the first problem with this movie. People know and love heroes like batman and spider man, but they are huge and easily recognizable icons outside the comic book world too. So this might make it hard for this movie to be so successful. then there's the fact that this was never going to be quite as easy to pull off as other movies. Hal Jordan is not bitten by a crazy bug, he's not a troubled vigilante, and he is not just some rich guy heroing for the hell of it in a really expensive suit. What's my point? The point is This is not your usual simple story of some Joe gaining super powers. Possible Spoiler! This is the story of Hal Jordan who gains powers from a ring that shows him a whole new huge alien world and a universal police corps. Obviously that is not your typical hero movie. It is not easy to do, and there is still a lot more packed into this story than that.

Iron man had an easier time because it was an easier story to understand for audiences, maybe it was easier to put on the big screen, in comparison to green lantern anyway. To recap this was a certainly a cool project that got the fans hyped, but not everyone who goes berserk over spidey, bats or Mr. stark. It's a crazy, awesome story, but it might be hard for newcomer to understand. lastly it is ambitious in that it tries to pack a lot of good stuff into a limited time space. That is my only complaint. The CGI was decent, and I liked the costume, if you know the story the choice makes sense. Critics are, as their name implies, people looking to criticize. sometimes, unjustly, over the top, and sadistically even. To be fair not all of them are unfair, I enjoy Roger Ebert's reviews, but the point is to just try and enjoy the movie.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
tamarenne23 July 2011
I'm not sure why so many people disliked this movie. Perhaps I like it so much precisely because I came to it with VERY low expectations. In general, superhero movies leave me cold. But this one was better than most and Ryan Reynolds was charming in his role.

I thought it was as good if not better than x-men and MUCH better than Thor, which was terrible.

I loved that when people who knew Green Lantern IRL met him, they RECOGNIZED him, because that has always bugged me about superheroes. Take a massively built 6 foot 4 guy, with distinctive bone structure and eyes, and just pop on a pair of glases, or a cowl, and suddenly nobody knows who it is? Thank god this movie avoided that.

Also I loved the look of the myriad races as they appeared on Oa, very cool.

Great flick, and it's too bad there most likely won't be a sequel now.
12 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Green Cheese
TourettesPersonal19 June 2011
We are getting decent and compelling superhero movies these days, which is a great thing that happened to the genre. Now "Green Lantern" is one of those films that also needs to be powerful, but it ends up being a generic cheesy cinema. "Green Lantern" is not perfectly horrible or the worst superhero movie ever but it's just too much exposition and a whole lot of green cheese.

"Green Lantern" has a great concept. Just like the other superhero films, the storytelling also needs to be compelling. Unfortunately, the film gets lazy to tell the story so they just threw a lot of narration and even the ones that are not quite necessary to narrate. The action is not very amazing. it's just showing us how eye-candy the effects are.

At least the movie is loyal to its corniness. Hal Jordan's wacky imagination and the aliens' zany looking faces. The CGI is pretty. The performances were entertaining enough. Ryan Reynolds is doing his same old thing. Mark Strong didn't appear so much (which is disappointing) but still he's awesome.

It's disappointing because they're making the interesting villains into uninteresting. Example, Parallax should be terrifying and menacing. Instead he's a scrambled egg who eats fear. Not really terrifying nor menacing. Peter Sarsgaard's mad scientist performance was pretty good but the only thing he did in this film is crying in agony and use his telekinesis powers in a lame way.

"Green Lantern" just wanted to show its beautiful visuals. It's not a very bad thing but the filmmakers doesn't take its storytelling so seriously. It can be entertaining for some reason but it can also be forgettable. It's good to see it in the big screen for the visuals but you don't want to see it again after that. This might be the weakest superhero movie of the year. Even "The Green Hornet" is better than this. "Thor" might be the best superhero film of 2011 so far in my opinion because even though the action isn't great, at least there is a compelling storytelling. The sad thing is, both the action and the storytelling are not compelling in "Green Lantern".

3D? Very dark!
136 out of 224 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.