Green Lantern (2011) Poster

(2011)

I enjoyed it.
TxMike12 November 2011
Three months ago I watched the animated movie that covers essentially the same story, that of the hot-shot, sometimes irresponsible American test pilot that gets recruited into the Green Latern Corps, the several thousand who each have a sector of the universe to protect.

Here we get real people telling the story. Ryan Reynolds is the focus as test pilot Hal Jordan. He is flying a test mission to help demonstrate the advantages of a new fighter plane when he pulls a very risky move and ends up destroying the plane. Soon after he is pulled into the presence of a dying Green Lantern, who tells him "the ring has chosen you." When he is transported to the secret location, in a far corner of the universe, he is met with much skepticism.

All the other green lanterns are from races much older than the human race, and they doubt that an Earthling human has what it takes. This of course provides the drama for Hal's quest to prove himself and become what our comic books refer to as the Green Lantern.

A large obstacle is the evil monster of sorts that is absorbing the energy of others and in the process growing more powerful. Unstopped it would destroy the universe as we know it. Hal needs to become the hero that stops the monster and in the process earning his status.

Good movie, I enjoyed it.
30 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated Comic Flick That Deserves More Praise
SciFiSheriff30 December 2011
Comic book adaptations are quickly becoming one of the most popular movie genres of the modern era. With high speed action, a good story and some great acting, who could blame it. however there is one film that is constantly battered by fans and movie goers alike.

Yes, this is my review of Green Lantern.

(Note; I do not believe in Millions of years, so i'm just going to leave it out of this review. I ignore usually these kind of references)

The plot goes like this;

Somewhere in the universe, a mighty force of nature called Parallax, who feeds on the fear of the universe, escapes custody by a green lantern warrior known as Abin Sur. Parallax fatally wounds Abin but he narrowly escapes instant death in an escape pod. He contacts the rest of the green lanterns and tells them who he encountered and that he will die. His pod lands on earth and at the brink of death he is met by a man who was brought there by his power ring. He passes on the ring to the man, Hal Jordan, and tells him to speak the oath. He does, and becomes one of the green lanterns. It eventually falls on him to save the universe from Parallax and defeat him once and for all.

While this movie doesn't live up to the standards of "Captain America- The First Avenger" or the Nolan Batman Trilogy, this film is still quite enjoyable.

I'll admit, the acting wasn't that great. There was no real character that stood out for me as being well acted but it was still watchable. As for the characters themselves, they were quite interesting. Although the human characters were interesting to an extent, It's the green lanterns that stole the show. Their is one scene were all the green lanterns are having a conference of some sort. There are so many green lanterns that sometimes all you see is green. Each one looks different and unique; I actually pause at this part to see what other strange beings i missed inn the first viewing. Props to the designers for creating some brilliant looking creatures.

The story isn't to special, but it is interesting. It's nothing more than the normal super-hero origin story, with a couple of unorthodox plot lines. The movie's ending tells you that there is another movie coming. I won't spoil, But green Lantern fans will like it, If they didn't like the movie itself.

The villain, I thought, is what brings the film down a notch. Halfway through the film a scientist gets infected by the power source of Parallax, corrupting him into a monstrous creature that can control objects with his eyes. I wasn't too fond of the guy. His motives for his actions were uninteresting making some of the "intence" scenes a little tedious, but this is a minor fault.Parallax is more impressive. There are some scenes were he is tearing through the city eating everything in his path. However, like the other guy (Who's name escapes me), Parallax lacks motive for what he does other than the fact he needs fear to become more powerful.

One of the most interesting things about the green lanterns is the power to make thought reality. For example, you can think of a massive artillery gun and it would appear right beside you. This is an interesting concept and is far more diverse to other superheros. Although there are plenty of scenes of this power, I thought it was under used; Sometimes all they did was fire balls of green energy at their enemies which I thought was a waste.

Don't let that put you off though. There are some impressive action scenes to sink your teeth into. The battle at the end with Parallax is definitely worth seeing. It didn't have as much action as i thought it would have or would have liked but it still was satisfying.

All in all, a great summer action flick. Not everyone's cup of tea but if you just like watching movies and are willing to bypass mistakes, this is the film for you. With over use of CGI ad badly created villains, it wasn't the best way to start a franchise but it is still enjoyable none the less.
58 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not bad, not good, just mildly average
TheLittleSongbird10 July 2011
I like superhero movies as much as the next person, having grown up on the likes of Superman and Batman. Green Lantern is not the worst superhero movie, but far from the best either. For me it was just a mildly average and somewhat bland movie, that didn't live up to the potential it had.

Getting the good things out of the way, I did like the cinematography, settings and costumes very much, and while they weren't among the best or most detailed I've seen the effects were better than average apart from Parralex. The score/soundtrack by James Newton Howard compliments the film very nicely, Martin Campbell's direction is assured and there are classy turns from Mark Strong, Tim Robbins and Peter Sarsgaard.

On the other hand, Ryan Reynolds didn't quite work for me. Now don't get me wrong, I initially found him an ideal choice in the title role. The problem is not that Reynolds is bad, actually he is quite spirited in the role, it's just that the character himself like a lot of the characters in the movie is irritatingly bland. Blake Lively is cute and lovely, but her performance goes little beyond that. The story starts off well with an intriguing idea, being an origin story and all, but is bogged down by too many characters, tedious pacing and too thin a story for such a running time consequently some scenes seemed as though they were going on longer than they should've done. However though, these problems are pretty trivial compared to the script, which to put it kindly was an awkward, cliché-driven mess.

Overall, neither good or bad, but very average and bland. 5/10 Bethany Cox
11 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It wasn't that bad, why the hate?
BigMaxAttacks6 October 2011
I saw Green Lantern with my son because it looked safe enough and I used to collect the comic books when I was a kid. I felt like I was the only guy over 20 at the theater, which I guess isn't surprising anymore. Did think there would be more adults, however, because the Green Lantern was something we read in my generation. Not sure if it's even around anymore. Being a fan of the comic book I had to go see it, and I was intrigued with the movie. After I got home I jumped on the computer and read the reviews. I was very disappointed with the professional reviews that cast stones at it, while at the same time, regular folk like myself thought it was a pretty good stab at the DC comic book version. I guess I look for something different when I go to the movies. I go to unwind and enjoy myself for a couple of hours, and Green Lantern worked for me.
294 out of 328 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
What A Nice Surprise
stormhappy1063 January 2015
I avoided this film for for a long time because I thought that many didn't like it(a la Daredevil)but was I wrong to avoid it! I loved this movie and have now seen it many times.

I barely remember reading Green Lantern as a kid, but who cares, this was a fun, exciting and impressive movie.

Ryan Reynolds was perfect as Hal Jordan, and everyone else was fine also.

Special Effects were top-notch.

The film still made an impressive $116 million domestically, which shows that many people ignored the ignorant critics.

Parallax was a superb creation.

I intend to see this film many more times in the future.
89 out of 104 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The critics are way overreacting.
Loving_Silence18 June 2011
Now let me begin by saying this film is not an amazing film. It is definitely not an awful film, like most critics are saying. I think critics might have raised their expectations due to Thor and X-Men: First Class. They should not compare the Green Lantern with those films. It is ranked now 24% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is way too low. It would probably be in the high 60s, if it was released before Thor and X-Men: First Class.

The acting in the film is good and not terrible at all. Ryan Reynolds is great as Hal Jordan and extremely likable. He definitely fits the role as Hal Jordan really well. Blake Lively is great and extremely sexy, she's not just a pretty face as most are suggesting. Peter Sarsgaard is a great actor and he plays the villainous Hector Hemmond really well and interesting. Overall everyone tries their best and at the end of the day do a really great job, certainly no Oscar worthy performances, though.

The special effects are pretty superb and extremely worthwhile to say the least. Although it sometimes feel a little CGIish, but it doesn't get too big of a distraction. I have to say I was a little disappointed how Parallax looked like, it felt a little fake at times, but it is not horrible in any sense of the way. Also the film did not take itself seriously which is kind of refreshing. Which could be the reason why critics disliked it so much. They want another sad, personal and serious story. Unlike Thor and X-Men, The Green Lantern is more kids friendly.

The main problem of the film was that they were trying to cram stuff in from the comics and the personal lives of the other characters. It seems that there could be so many sequels for the other characters. It did kind of focus on too many characters. Also the editing gets to be a little distracting at times, they certainly needed to have done a better job, but the editing is mediocre at best.

Overall the Green Lantern was a fun summer flick. Although it is nowhere near the realm of The Dark Knight, it didn't need to be. The 3D was actually really good and the special effects were memorable. No doubt, the critics were extremely tough on the Green Lantern and it is unfair. At the end of the day, don't listen to the critics. Make up your mind and see this film. At the end of the day, it should be only your opinion that matters to you. You might agree with the critics or you might not. However don't skip this movie because of the low Rotten Tomatoes score.
575 out of 751 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Likable Comic Book Movie
ladymidath26 May 2012
I know a lot of people didn't like Green Lantern but I don't know why. It was a fun movie with a good solid lead in Ryan Reynolds. It was not as dark as The Dark Knight or V For Vendetta but that is not the nature of Green Lantern. The special effects were good and the casting was fine. Tim Robbins was well cast as Hammond as was Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond. Kudos to Mark Strong as Sinestro. I do hope they do a sequel with him as Sinestro was one of my favourite villains. All up it was a solid film and one I enjoyed immensely. Pity some people were disappointed but to be honest, I don't know what they were expecting as the film stayed reasonably true to the character and the tone of the comic books.
55 out of 71 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"In Brightest Day..."
XweAponX27 June 2011
I have the Green Lantern Comics (Numbers 49-51 circa 1993) where Hal Jordan goes crazy and smashes the main power battery on OA, and gives up his GL status to a new Green Lantern. But Hal Jordan has always been Green Lantern to me, even with other people putting the ring on over the years.

This film accounts the story of how Hal Jordan was chosen by the ring, as the dying Abin Sur sends out the ring to find a successor. Not to get into too much of a spoiler here, so I won't say how that happens in the film, which is slightly different than the original "Origin or Green Lantern" stories I have read when I was a kid, suffice it to say, the people who made this film had 5 decades of Green Lantern stories to get into a 2 hour film. And they did it good.

I saw this in 3D and it was adequate 3D, the look of Green Lantern was sort of a blend of all the different changes in costume he had over the years. Ryan Reynolds was a very good Hal Jordan, and Blake Lively a very very good Carol Ferris. A lot of the characters from the comics are in this, there is a "Pieface" but he is not Asian, there is an appearance by Sinestro who in this film is the head of the Green Lantern Corps, which includes veteran Green Lantern Tomar-Re voiced by Geoffery Rush, and Micheal Clark Duncan voicing Kilowog, all much loved GL characters, and the appearance of the Green Lantern Corps was a very good idea.

The Guardians of OA looked much like they looked in the comics, they named none of the Guardian Actors save Warren Burton and Salome Jens (who was the main Shape-Shifter in Star Trek: Deep Space 9), the rest of them are, well they are just Guardians. the evil entity Parallax was voiced by one of my favourite actors, Clancy Brown.

As far as Production, some great names popped out during the credits: James Newton Howard did a very good score, on par with his King Kong score, and the whole production was designed by another who worked on King Kong: Oscar winner Grant Major who had that same job in Lord of the Rings trilogy - And the costumes were done by another Lord of the Rings veteran, Ngila Dickson, another Oscar winner.

As far as the director, I had never heard of Martin Campbell except for Casino Royale and Vertical Limit, but one name did pop out: Stuart Baird, a veteran Editor, who has edited some great films all the way back to the Donner version of Superman II, Gorillas in the Mist, and of course he directed Star Trek: Nemesis which I rather liked.

Green Lantern being one of my favourite comic books when I was a kid, I was very gratified to see this film- They really did not take very many liberties with the stories which they cultivated to make this film, so I give it a 10 - Mostly because I can care less what anyone's lame gripes about this film are, I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was done very well.
64 out of 90 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
" There is a great power which fears only the Power of my Ring "
thinker169120 December 2012
In 1938, comic Imigination arrived at Dectective Comics with the Introducted of the Dark Knight also called The Batman. Before long a plethora of others soon followed, among them was the mysterious " Green Lantern. " Hal Jordan AKA Green Lantern are both played by Ryan Reynold. The story reaches back to the 20th century and the space age. Here we find our hero and his special selection by a celestial being who reaches into his chosen's human heart to learn that he possesses true Courage and no fear. That, then is the primary ingredient for his selection and the gist of the legend. Once you enter the myth of the Green Lantern, you also enter the vast din of the Universe and it's mystical powers, where beings from other planets are collected to fight their Nemesis, . . . Fear. This film does it's best to take our Hero and the audience to their world and the battlefield of the Universe. It's a fabulous journey and one which is responsible for the enjoyment of the cinema, A great slice of DC comics transformed into the stuff of imagination and the world of Entertainment. Recommended to all. ****
22 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Introduces Character
nogodnomasters27 February 2018
The movie starts with a CG background science fiction origins of Green Lantern. The power of the Green Lantern is given to those who do not know fear. Parallax is introduced as the evil force which is "fear." As a Green Lantern lays crashed he releases his Green Lantern ring (force) to someone who doesn't know the meaning of the word "fear." Clearly that is Hal Jordon (Ryan Reynolds) who thinks he is Tom Cruise in "Top Gun" as he defeats 2 High tech pilot-less air craft by using a maneuver from Ironman.

The movie spends a lot of time building background and lays the foundation for a multiple sequels. This is mostly an introduction of the character.

While the Green Lantern is flying around impressing his former gf, mad scientist and son of a senator, Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) has been experimenting by injecting himself with microbes, which happen to be alien, creating the super villain for our super hero. They spent a ton of money on special effects. The ring may never make a mistake, but the casting director did. They should have gone the extra expense to get some real box office stars. Ryan Reynolds didn't hack it.

No sex, no nudity, and no F-bombs. Good for kids.
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Green Lantern
MR_Heraclius24 February 2020
Nothing too exciting. Almost boring at times. Some cool effects. It was okay.
47 out of 66 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Underrated
tiagoabreu200728 March 2018
Not the best superhero movie of all time but this was a lot of fun. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious and a lot of the action is great. You can also tell that the people who made this film were actual fans of the character and his history, staying relatively faithful (for a movie) to the source material and comics. I wish they had done another one.
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Movie could have been so much better
abecipriano20 June 2011
As someone who's followed Green Lantern a little bit of a decent amount (not big but fairly decent, for DC character), I liked some things about the movie; but I definitely say that it could have been made better, both for casual fans, non-GL fans or hard core ones.

Good points... 1. It stuck fairly consistently with the mythos of the origin and Planet OA; 2. Ryan Reynolds did decently as Hal Jordan (though he fits more with the Kyle Rayner/Guy Gardner type than Jordan) -- but I wish he was more serious; though non-GL fans couldn't care less about this; 3. Blake Lively was eye candy; super hot, but not much else; 4. Green Lanterns Tomar Re, Kilowog and Abin Sur were damn good but didn't have enough screen time to be significant; 5. Mark Strong's Sinestro was excellent! 6. Hector Hammond was well portrayed by Peter Saarsgard (though it lacked a proper finish) 7. Good supporting cast from Tim Robbins (Sen. Hammond) to Angela Bassett (Amanda Waller); 8. Green Lantern's costume was wicked; 9. Visual/CGI effects were pretty good

Bad Points... > It tried to fit too much into one movie, moving back and forth from Earth and outer space/OA, thus there was no proper flow... (like when there was a build up of momentum, things go slow or boring; or from serious to funny without proper pacing); too many stories were crammed into one movie > Humor was misplaced at times (good peg is Thor which had it in the flow rather than contrived/forced) > Parallax looked comical; scary at times but only a couple of times > Like Iron Man 2, I wish the fight scenes were so much more; they spent too much on the set-up that the fights were short and could have been so much more and elaborate. > Some scenes and even some characters were not necessary (Hal's best friend, even some scenes with Blake's Carol Ferris were not needed); they should have added more action instead

Summary, visual effects, actors, GL base story good. But the way the writers and director put things together were a mixture of various plots and subplots crazy glued into one movie for pure entertainment. Kids will enjoy it, but adults likely will not. This is a summer of superheroes, with 3 down and one more to go (well, technically 5 with Transformers if you're thinking comic book stories), so it's quite impossible not to compare them to each other.

The director is known to direct good flicks like Goldeneye and Casino Royale (two good movies), but I wish he did more; studied more, had split up more stories to be more single- minded and not work on a cluttered material.
145 out of 195 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
It's Not Easy Being Green.....
Fields20119 June 2011
I went to see Green Lantern because a friend of mine was boycotting DC for such a long time because there has been no release of a Green Lantern movie. Sure, there were plenty reincarnations of Batman and Superman, but where's Green Lantern? Someone out there listened to his plea, and the result is this.....

A mess.

I will go on record to say that it's at least enjoyable. Even though the movie seems to be everywhere in its storytelling, with characters being underdeveloped and random things just happening. I would say that during this movie, I had a hard time finding a bathroom break. I was at least interested to see where the movie is going.

Let me try to explain this movie: There is this elite group of Green Lanterns led by Sinestro (well played by Mark Strong) who are having a hard time beating this giant alien in the Milky Way called The Parallax. So when their alien friend who's name I cannot remember falls to earth and dies, his ring is sent out to choose a new victim, and somehow it chooses Ryan Reynolds. Mr. Reynolds discovers that he has a new ability, and that he is the earth's only hope, but he can't handle that until the end of the movie. Not only that, but some doctor guy turns into an evil alien which, I guess, is controlled by Parallax, and Ryan has to stop him too.

I must say that I was intrigued by the doctor subplot where he is not accepted by his father (Tim Robbins) and slowly goes insane until he turns into John Travolta from Battlefield: Earth. I also liked seeing Ryan Reynolds in the movie because he brings energy to what could otherwise be a boring movie, and I was enjoying both stories that were coming along. The problem is that the whole movie felt disjointed, and not only did scenes felt random, but events turn random too.

Like the scene where Reynolds is chosen by the ring. It just happens out of nowhere. One minute he's talking to this kid (which never served much purpose to the film) and then all of a sudden he's walking and gets carried away in green light to that dying alien dude. This happened in more than one occasion. Also the CGI was all over the place, even on Reynold's outfit, and it's rather distracting. It's very vibrant and colorful (which is good), but it looked very cartoonish and took me out of the film. I also mentioned that the characters are underdeveloped, which goes a lot to Sinestro and that Parallax thing they are trying to fight. Heck, even the love interest felt underdeveloped. By the end of the film, I felt like I barely knew the characters, with just a likable performance by Ryan Reynolds.

However, Green Lantern isn't boring, just purely average. I think the reason why I sort of liked this film was that I went into it not expecting much. I already had groups of people telling me that this film is awful before its release, so I ended up getting a little more than I expected. Just a little. It was still entertaining, to say the least.
100 out of 154 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Hero Is Born
claudio_carvalho23 October 2011
The Guardians of the Universe have divided the Universe into 3,600 Space Sectors, each one protected by one powerful Green Lantern, selected among fearless beings and with superpowers supplied by a ring fed by the willpower from the planet Oa. When the evil force Parallax that is fed by fear destroys several Green Lanterns, the member Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison) flees in his spacecraft but crashes on Earth. Deadly wounded, his green ring seeks out a successor for him and finds the reckless but efficient test pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds). Hal Jordan learns about the Green Lanterns and is bestowed with the powers of the ring. Meanwhile the scientist Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) is summoned to make an autopsy of Abin Sur and is possessed by Parallax.

Hal Jordan is insecure about his fears and uses his powers for the first time in a party to save the life of people from a Ferris Aircraft helicopter damaged by Hector and later he discloses his identity to his former colleague Carol Ferris (Blake Lively), who is the beautiful daughter of Carl Ferris (Jay O. Sanders) and his love. When Parallax threatens Earth, the Green Lantern Hal Jordan is the last hope to defend his planet from destruction.

"Green Lantern" tells the story of how Hal Jordan becomes the Green Lantern. I am not a follower of this hero and I had a slight idea about his origin. The story is entertaining and Ryan Reynolds has a good performance in the role of a hero. Peter Sarsgaard is a weak villain, but the gorgeous Blake Lively has grown-up from "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and has a good performance in the role of Carol Ferris. The cast has Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett in supporting roles and the film is nor bad as mentioned in many reviews. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): "Lanterna Verde" ("Green Lantern")
11 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A World Of Overreaction
Jimmyboyjr45 October 2011
While I admit this movie had it's flaws, I do strongly believe this movie has been vastly underrated by the public. Unfortunately Green Lantern came at a time when comic inspired novels have been done almost to death. While most done quite brilliantly (most being the operative word here) Green Lantern I believe did not live up to the expectations we now have of comic adaptations.

Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan was a great choice for the role of The Green Lantern, the character arc while helping you to understand the character of Hal Jordan was sufficient I do believe they could of well exceeded what they did.

For a story as immense as the Green Lantern I believe that the close to two hours was to short to completely describe and help understand the Green Lantern universe. The length I believe to be the biggest drawback in this movie. In my opinion the movie should of been closer to the length of The Watchmen to completely illustrate the complexity and brilliance that the Green Lantern universe really is.

For me, I believed the hype going into this movie, I had a completely closed mind and fully expected this movie to be as one critic described it "Green Lantern, The worst comic book movie ever made". Honestly I have to say that I'm glad that I read that review before viewing this movie as it made it all that sweeter when the movie went beyond all I thought it would be and greatly impressed me.

I'm sorry that this movie was received so badly because the chances of seeing a sequel have dropped and in a universe where anything is possible I think we will miss out on all that the Green Lantern franchise could be.
134 out of 150 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Better than critics say.
sathervbc28 April 2020
This movie wasn't that bad. Idiot critics and media gave it the negativity. Most I know that have seen it, liked it.
19 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not another green movie...
Chalice_Of_Evil11 August 2011
Another in a long line of comic book films released this year, Green Lantern unfortunately doesn't compare to Thor, X-Men: First Class or Captain America. Had I seen Green Lantern *before* seeing those other three films, perhaps I wouldn't be as critical of it. But those previous movies set a high standard that this latest comic book movie doesn't quite reach. I feel a large part of why GL isn't as successful as the films before it is the pace and editing. A film about aliens, space police and a ring that can transform thought into reality should all come together to make one hell of an interesting film, but somehow the movie suffers from a seemingly sluggish pace in the beginning (thanks to a rather snore-worthy voice-over, explaining things that we need to know) before anything really interesting happens. Starting movies with prologues/exposition *can* be interesting, but this one manages to make everything that *should* be interesting somehow dull. It's actually very disappointing, given that director Martin Campbell was behind two of the best Bond movies ever (Goldeneye and Casino Royale). Those films never had a dull moment in them, whereas GL seems to have too many.

I'm one who hadn't known the first thing about Green Lantern - having never read the comics - before seeing this movie. Having heard the name a while back, I figured it was just some dude who liked the colour green and walked around with an old-timey lantern. Luckily, it's a bit more interesting than that. It actually involves a ring and a human, Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds), who the ring chooses to join an intergalactic military/police force known as the Green Lantern Corps. Turns out I wasn't entirely wrong, as there is indeed a lantern involved, but thankfully it's not old-timey and he doesn't just carry it around with him wherever he goes. Though he does swear an oath to it - one of the lighter moments in the film.

Reynolds wasn't apparently many people's ideal actor to play Hal, but I think he serves the role of the jet-fighter-test-pilot-turned-universe-protector well. Yes, he does play a bit of a jerk and he does have some funny lines, but he's also believable in the more serious moments. When he recites the oath for the second time, you know he's grown as a character. Reynolds is convincing in his portrayal of Hal's flaws as a person, and by the end you're on his side.

The lovely and very aptly named Blake Lively is a breath of fresh air, livening things up and injecting some much-needed energy into the otherwise kinda dull proceedings. As Carol Ferris, she's not only a fellow pilot with Hal, but also someone with whom Hal has a history. Not just another ordinary/boring love interest, she's able to stand up to Hal, not take his crap and can handle herself admirably. Best of all, though? She's no idiot. Most awesomely, Hal's lame Superman-in-glasses-like attempt to cover up his identity with nothing more than a small green mask doesn't work on Carol. As she says, she's known him her whole life and not being able to see his cheek bones isn't going to fool her. She immediately recognises it's him. Other superheroes' love interests would do well to learn from Carol (take note, Lois Lane!). The scene where he tries out his best Batman voice on her (after having earlier rescued her in public from a crashing helicopter by creating a race track for it to land on) is one of the best in the entire film. Carol's reactions to seeing through Hal's mask are really quite good/amusing. It's one of the more unique things about the film - where most tend to have the 'love interest' remain in the dark or look stupid for not having figured out things early on.

I liked how Carol wasn't just giving Hal crap nonstop, but also encouraged him/saved him. Lively and Reynolds have decent chemistry and share some good moments together. Though the rest/supporting characters, both human & alien, are all rather average. This lack of character development lets the film down.

It also doesn't help that the villain/s of the film are among some of the most non-scary & laugh-worthy villains ever to appear in comic book films (up there with Green Goblin). Parallax is nothing more than a big angry dust cloud that zaps people with yellow. You know you're in trouble when this is the 'Big Bad' of the movie. The film's 'Little Bad' is hair-sniffer, Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard), who becomes infected by Parallax and gains telepathic/telekinetic abilities as a result...but also (literally) gets a big head - doesn't really seem like a fair trade-off. Our fat-headed villain is gross to look at, but other than that, he's not particularly effective. He's just another poor sod with daddy issues and bad luck. He shares minimal dialogue with Hal and Carol, and yet we're supposed to buy them as people who know each other well. The only real tense moment I felt involving them was was when Hector's threatening to make Carol like him - something no SANE person would want to see happen.

What I felt really let the film down was the pacing. Things seem to be shown to us in a strange order a lot of the time, and it just feels 'off'. I will say that the movie did allow for some interesting uses of CGI - the constructs Hal forms with his mind/the ring are pretty exciting & creative. The flying was also good. And it makes sense his costume looks the way it does, since it's created out of energy.

This isn't a bad film as such, it just isn't all that it could have been. Still, here's hoping that a sequel improves on it. Despite all the flaws, I do wish to see Hal Jordan and Carrol Ferris again. Until then, go green!
17 out of 23 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The Green Cheese
TourettesPersonal19 June 2011
We are getting decent and compelling superhero movies these days, which is a great thing that happened to the genre. Now "Green Lantern" is one of those films that also needs to be powerful, but it ends up being a generic cheesy cinema. "Green Lantern" is not perfectly horrible or the worst superhero movie ever but it's just too much exposition and a whole lot of green cheese.

"Green Lantern" has a great concept. Just like the other superhero films, the storytelling also needs to be compelling. Unfortunately, the film gets lazy to tell the story so they just threw a lot of narration and even the ones that are not quite necessary to narrate. The action is not very amazing. it's just showing us how eye-candy the effects are.

At least the movie is loyal to its corniness. Hal Jordan's wacky imagination and the aliens' zany looking faces. The CGI is pretty. The performances were entertaining enough. Ryan Reynolds is doing his same old thing. Mark Strong didn't appear so much (which is disappointing) but still he's awesome.

It's disappointing because they're making the interesting villains into uninteresting. Example, Parallax should be terrifying and menacing. Instead he's a scrambled egg who eats fear. Not really terrifying nor menacing. Peter Sarsgaard's mad scientist performance was pretty good but the only thing he did in this film is crying in agony and use his telekinesis powers in a lame way.

"Green Lantern" just wanted to show its beautiful visuals. It's not a very bad thing but the filmmakers doesn't take its storytelling so seriously. It can be entertaining for some reason but it can also be forgettable. It's good to see it in the big screen for the visuals but you don't want to see it again after that. This might be the weakest superhero movie of the year. Even "The Green Hornet" is better than this. "Thor" might be the best superhero film of 2011 so far in my opinion because even though the action isn't great, at least there is a compelling storytelling. The sad thing is, both the action and the storytelling are not compelling in "Green Lantern".

3D? Very dark!
141 out of 226 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Jumbled, confused, dim and threadbare. Really, it's just stupid.
bopdog17 June 2011
This film is "inoffensive" in a way. Nothing hateful or terribly gross or upsetting about it. But it does have at least two major problems that had I known fully what they were beforehand, I would have saved myself a bit of money and my time, and done something else.

One, this is yet another in the tiresome line of uninspired movies based on a comic book. You'd think the collective hearts and minds of what we call "Hollywood" could come up with an original idea. Spending $150 million on a gimicky re-working of some other person's idea (that is, ripping off the comic book writers) really seems stupid. There are many talented artists out there whose work not only deserves to be funded, but whose work would be a lot more interesting. Maybe even exciting! And maybe, in at least a few cases, uplifting or inspiring in some way that actually contributes something to all of us--- which is the true purpose of art anyway, right?

And two, this wasn't very carefully thought out or written. You've heard criticisms of previous special FX movies where the reviewer bemoans all the slam-bam frenetic FX shots, one after another. I promise that if you are unfortunate enough to sit through this movie your jaw will drop at the sheer amount of literally non-stop whiz-bang FX- not even one after another so much as one continuous blast of the CGI cartoonist's most hectic product.

The plot points were not self-evident, at least not to me. Jet races were followed by jump cuts to kitchen scenes and then inter-galactic scenes, then space, then what appeared to be Hell, then "mysterioso" councils of wizened old cartoon "yoda" types, etc. A virtually indestructible space warrior (we find out later he was the strongest, bravest, most clever, the final hope of the Universe, etc.--- yet he somehow got shot in the shoulder and is in the process of flying his broken spaceship around earth, looking for a place to crash and die. Oh wait- he doesn't die until he tells his green ring to "choose well," and then somehow Ryan Reynolds shows up ready to be amazed and enlisted.

One question--- if the magic green ring is clever enough to find Ryan Reynolds amidst all of earth, and not just ID him but go get him, place him in a protective green bubble then whisk him 100 miles to the dying space warrior in instant--- why couldn't such a nifty ring fix a wounded shoulder?

Scenes reminiscent of the covers of 1950s sci-fi paperback books showed vague and ill-defined landscapes of rocks and cliffs and rubble. That kind of thing is OK, and might fit into some stories--- but nothing was explained, nothing was set-up, nothing was logical. Not even "artistically" logical.

I like Ryan Reynolds. Tim Robbins has always been a sturdy enough character actor, and a few of the other secondary characters here were played by good actors as well. But dang- I had no idea what they were doing. What's with that creepy doctor guy? What is the evident long-term relationship between him and Ryan Reynolds? What was he doing in the movie anyway, except to turn physically hideous and provide a bit of senseless peril to the Pretty Girl? I don't know- none of that was established.

Bottom line- this was just plain stupid. And not because it was "fantastical" or weird or sci-fi. Rather, because it was simply not good work.
73 out of 130 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Brightest Day, Darkest Night
jpachar8225 June 2011
'In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight. Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might Beware My Power -- Green Lantern's Might.' – The motto that has the Summer of 2011 talking about. What is it about evil that it can be nothing but good? I can only guess two words – pure evil. The bright part, I didn't expect it to be green, I expected it to be white. But what do I know. I do know that this movie has surpassed the other super-hero movie: Thor by a landslide. Ryan Reynolds – yes sir – you talk about doing the green suit justice. The radar has been lifted, and it can never be down thanks to this great actor.

This movie was in one sense of the word –INCREDIBLE!!!! I loved it. Kudos goes to the director Martin Campbell. There was something that stuck out to me in this movie and that was you can't be afraid to take on the responsibility to embrace what you need to become but embrace the thing that you want most of all – not to fear.
15 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
I don't understand the hate for this film
WeAreLive22 November 2017
As I have mentioned at the top I honestly don't understand the hate for this. Personally, this is one of my favorite DC live movies of all time.

I have to admit as well Green Lantern is my favourite member of the whole Justice League.

When this movie was released I had no interest in DC but in 2015 I actually sat down and watched the whole and I liked it.

The movie had good effects, story, acting, and costume for the lanterns. I actually liked Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern considering he was very cocky but he is better as Deadpool at least. I also liked the woman who was Carol Ferris in the movie, Temura Morris who was Abin Sur he also played Boba, Cody, the clones and Jango in star wars and he will be Aquaman's dad in the Aquaman movie. Also Mark Strong did a good Sinestro it is a real shame this movie never got a sequel because I would have been interested to see how he would have handled the evil side of Sinestro. I also think Clancy Brown did good voice work as Parallax, the whole fight with him was the best part.

Overall it was an awesome movie don't listen to the hate if you are a green lantern fan then you might like this.

I just hope DCEU find a better Green Lantern for The Green Lantern Corps 2020 and Justice league 2 movies.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nowhere near as bad the critics made out
markjohnevans7923 September 2011
Look, you don't come to a film like this expecting Citizen Kane. This was a great popcorn flick. Unfortunately these days too many "professional" critics have an intellectual bias whereby they feel if they dare give a film like this a decent review they'll be laughed out of their silly little jobs.

I've watched a good few films this summer and some of those the critics have lauded I've found to be OK-ish but riddled with plot holes and average acting ('Hanna' anyone). the problem is with superhero films is that they come with an already built in audience, i.e. the fanboys. These guys will immediately dismiss any film adaptation of a beloved comic book hero if it doesn't stick religiously to the source material. Then you have the other guys, film fans who will try to pick holes in anything that doesn't fit the superhero movie archetype. Essentially you'll NEVER please either of these groups and unfortunately they are the most vocal. I however am a fanboy and a film fan so I skate the middle line. This gives me an advantage as I realise that comics cannot be 100% adapted to film and that film must be adapted to comic books as much as it can. Green Lantern was a victim of both these parties. However they have done it an injustice. This was a thoroughly enjoyable, well acted (even for Ryan Reynolds) slice of fried gold. Yes it has it's weak points (it takes it sweet time to get going and the romance angle felt tacked on) but it was easily on a par with other comic book adaptations of this year (Thor and Captain America)and really did not deserve the drubbing it got. My advice, don't listen to the critics or the fan boys or even me. Watch the film and make up your own mind. I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
13 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Excellent
tamarenne23 July 2011
I'm not sure why so many people disliked this movie. Perhaps I like it so much precisely because I came to it with VERY low expectations. In general, superhero movies leave me cold. But this one was better than most and Ryan Reynolds was charming in his role.

I thought it was as good if not better than x-men and MUCH better than Thor, which was terrible.

I loved that when people who knew Green Lantern IRL met him, they RECOGNIZED him, because that has always bugged me about superheroes. Take a massively built 6 foot 4 guy, with distinctive bone structure and eyes, and just pop on a pair of glases, or a cowl, and suddenly nobody knows who it is? Thank god this movie avoided that.

Also I loved the look of the myriad races as they appeared on Oa, very cool.

Great flick, and it's too bad there most likely won't be a sequel now.
14 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not as bad as Critics say
SnoopyStyle21 December 2013
There are some good and some bad. The CGI is too dark (lighting wise), and the green makes it look too fake cartoon-like. It's watchable, but it doesn't inspire. The Green Lantern manifestations make the action rather random. I could tell they spent lots of money on the CGI. I'm just not certain it was the most compelling creations. Parallax also look very much like a cartoon instead of something menacing.

Ryan Reynolds is a good actor. He's making Hal Jordan a jester. It's in Reynolds' DNA, and I don't think he could stop anyways. Blake Lively is not my favorite actress. She does slightly better than I expected. Basically she does a girlfriend role without much heat. Peter Sarsgaard is also functional as the weaselly Hector Hammond. I can certainly see others who could do the villain role much better.

There may be too much going on for a single movie. But it could still be followed quite easily. I'm just not sure if all the elements are given enough attention. I do like the theme of fear, and the will to overcome those fears. It's a little ham-fisted, but it still works. Overall, it's an average superhero movie with some minor flaws.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.