Maid (TV Mini Series 2021) Poster

(2021)

I can't stop thinking about this.
kpet-613713 October 2021
The acting, sets and locations were amazing, however its the story which is haunting me. The fact this story has resonated with so many people is comforting yet also heartbreaking. I WAS that mother. Same age, same socio-economic position, same partner, dysfunctional parents. I loved nature. The thing that hurts the most is I had the same potential. I had university scholarships but was still too poor to finish. I'm still essentially a 'Maid'. But my son is at University. This story hurts my soul. Not all stories are meant to make you feel good but that is so many peoples realities. This Series is about LIFE. And that is why it is amazing.
196 out of 221 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A lesson in empathy that's clearly lost on many
straitjacketfun16 October 2021
You can really tell who's lucky enough not to have lived through the kind of generational trauma depicted in this show based on people's ratings.

Instead of victim blaming and accusing the characters of being stupid and making bad decisions, you should really just be THANKFUL AF that you weren't able to relate to any of it, because this is so many people's reality. You can judge the characters all you like but it says more about you than it does about them. Namely, that you're incapable of feeling empathy for anyone you can't personally relate to. And lack of empathy is a huge factor in why these situations play out the way they do in real life.

Some of y'all need a serious wake up call to the struggles that exist outside your privileged personal bubbles.
37 out of 39 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stayed up all night!
Cookie11112 October 2021
With every step of Alex's struggle, I couldn't stop watching this series. Compelled to see her be treated better. Better by her family, the system and people in general.

I haven't stayed up all night watching a series for decades, and I'm a Binge-aholic! I wish I read the book first tbh.

Andie Macdowell, you have always been a superstar, but you working this role has launched you into the stratosphere! Bravo.

Domestic abuse, poverty, untreated mental illness - its a parasite on humanity. Maid takes you directly down the path and I thank all the people behind this story. You have created an evoking story telling tapestry that hopefully creates change.

Hopefully after people watch Maid, the next time they have the opportunity, they realise kindness and compassion can costs nothing. And if you come from privilege, open your eyes and help your fellow man.
162 out of 188 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
heartwrenchingly beautiful
djurrepower22 October 2021
One of the best shows I've seen in a long time. Beautifully written and amazing how it pulls on your heart strings. And all the drama felt very real and believable. So all in all, amazing show.

8/10: amazing.
44 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Confession of a maid
Movi3DO14 October 2021
"They don't know what it took to get here. Three hundred and thirty-eight toilets cleaned, seven types of government assistance, nine separate moves, one night on the ferry station floor and the entire third year of my daughter's life."

A new Netflix show where a mother, having escaped with her daughter from her abusive husband, had to struggle to find jobs and take care of her daughter.

This show was a little bit hard to watch at times. The subject matter is sensitive, and so many things happened to our main character and turned her life into a turmoil. Watching her trying to get through everyday gave me some anxiety. She barely had anytime to breathe.

Her situation was incredibly bad not only because she was hardcore broke, but she had to deal with a mother with manic episodes. The actor who played the mother was so good that her presence on the screen and her voice slowly and slowly got on my nerve.

Watching out main character min each episode was a roller coaster of emotions and turmoils. Because of her situation, the movie was able to address many themes about society like domestic violence, alcoholism, emotional abuse, complicated law and legal stuff that would give a normal person a migraine, hope, dreams, marriage, parenthood, and everything in between. The great thing is that most of these themes did not feel forced, making the main character's situation all the more realistic.

The show had couple of great ways of showing how clueless or desperate our main character was. Whenever she spent money, the audience saw the amount of money remained, and the amount she had was mostly little, making each dollar lost more painful. Another way is when there's legal stuff or courthouse situation, audience only heard "legal legal of legal legal" coming from the lawyers and commissioners' mouths.

Relationship and change were quite important themes to this show. Just as screwed up was our maid's relationship with her husband, mom, and dad, her relationship with her daughter was endearing and investing. I wanted her just to be happy with her daughter so bad. I, like the maid, genuinely thought that one of the characters in this show was going to change, and I actually thought our maid was overreacting at times. However, sometimes change is hard and that fact would beat you up and make history repeats itself.

Overall, a reflective and emotionally powerful show. For sure check out on Netflix. 9/10.
79 out of 91 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Masterful, captivating and somber
UniqueParticle17 October 2021
Margaret Qualley is riveting throughout; I've loved her several roles she's always worth watching! I didn't expect this show to be so sad yet so powerfully acted feels so genuine. Lately I've been really into Buffy the vampire slayer but I'm glad I decided to watch Maid it's so worth it. Crazy how intense everything starts out and improves as it goes on. Maid is very lovable I highly recommend it!
101 out of 121 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A journey worth taking
Just-A-Girl-148 October 2021
This show is definitely worth watching. It's a real life journey. And a powerful one.

Some critics complained that some of the decisions made by the main character are so terrible it's alienated them but if you watch this show, by the time you get to the 9th episode you will get it. I know, I did. It was only by the 8th and 9th episodes that I fully understood what Alex and women like her are going through. It's easy to judge but if you go through a horrible situation like that, you will make mistakes. It's impossible not to.

I also liked how the show depicted the other characters. Each of them were dealing with their own set of problems. The writing and acting are very good. It's very realistic and powerful. I believe that if you take this journey, you won't regret it. By the time I finished binge watching the show I got an entirely new perspective on situations I thought I understood.

Highly recommended!
107 out of 129 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Something we lost - real characters
cumjww1 October 2021
This is really amazing, you get to know authentic people and understand how they feel and why.

Margaret Qualley is absolutely outstanding and believable, BC is always something to look at and the story itself gives you a lot to consider.

In a time where characters say things that characters in tv shows usually say, this is really something!
125 out of 160 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Outstanding and in your face
DLochner23 October 2021
A strong, but above all honest and courageously told story about a life that exists so often, but from which one so often turns a blind eye. The young leading actress plays her role outstandingly. And believable. Netflix ventured into a subject that was certainly not easy to implement, but it proves what strength and diversity they are capable of. Outstanding, in your face.
26 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful and raw
jaimemedina-362888 October 2021
I love this show. It caught me completely by surprise. It's never predictable and always feels genuine, authentic. The writer finds a beautiful line - never fully glorifying or demonizing anyone. Everyone has a heart. Everyone has a story.
77 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Real, Raw, Engaging, Necessary
sanclan5 October 2021
I really liked the premise of this series. It was different than the normal woman escaping abusive man thriller type of movie or story. This was real and raw and showed the life issues that normal people experience. It also has a really good take on what different types of abuses there are, how they affect not only the parent but the child. It shows the psychological aspects of repressed emotional trauma. It is just overall a very good series and one of the best I have seen in a very long time.
65 out of 85 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
"Cathy Come Home": Revisited
rbrb15 October 2021
Probably the best Netflix I have ever seen!

If I had known what this series would be about before seeing it I doubt if I would have bothered to view it as too serious; but once i saw the first instalment it had me hooked and all the rest of the episodes are compelling and riviting.

In effect:

Deals with the way many of us can be easily exploited and unfairly mentally abused.

The genius lies in making a serious issue watchable but at the same time highly entertaining.

Hopefully it will educate a lot of people on how not to treat others. Laws need to be changed to accomplish this. And what protections are available need to be less full of red tape.

The young woman and her child are the stars of the movie but the actress who plays her mother (in the series as well as in real life) steal the show.

Brilliant production with all the players giving super performances.

More that 60 years in the UK a show called "Cathy Come Home" was so good it changed lives:

Lets see if 'Maid' will do the same.

10/10.
61 out of 81 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Had me sobbing by the end
ravenclaw_girlrules7 October 2021
Most fluid and realistic writing in any show I've ever seen. It really puts you in the shoes of the protagonist, struggling with her, crying with her. It was such a rough journey that by the last episode tears were streaming down my face. Never has a show conjured such strong empathy from me while highlighting the bear trap of poverty in the U. S. and the world.
60 out of 80 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Realism at it's most gut wrenching
electryshian6 October 2021
I watched this show over the course of 2 days and it ripped my heart to pieces and then knit it back together again. I saw myself and my young daughter in the same situations that Alex faced if I hadn't had my parents there to catch me. Honestly I messaged my mom when it was over and thanked her for everything g she did for me. It was a show of triumph, heart break, and the resiliency of the human spirit. Fantastic performances by all.
41 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
3 episodes in...
kate-dunlop-383-3128841 October 2021
And it's brilliant. Well acted, Whalley is a force. It's bleak but there is a glimmer of hope. The Dude that gave it 2 stars clearly watching something else......
66 out of 89 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Much-needed Story But Needed Consulting
gratefulandhonored15 October 2021
This type of movie was way overdue. People need to know how it really is, and this movie gave them a clue.

I only wished that the writer, producer, and director would have done more research.

For example, DV shelters come with caseworkers and access to lawyers. So, they would've gone to court with her the first time. And you don't have to file a police report or have witnesses or a history of reports or witnesses to have the court believe that you're a victim of DV.

This misleading information can discourage those who are contemplating leaving. And a court isn't so quick to give a child over just because the father has a home and a job. I don't even think they were married. Besides, a DV shelter suffices a place to live and the ability to provide for your child. And the victim would have been instructed by the caseworker to not reveal the name of the shelter where she was residing, not even in court.

Most women who are victims of DV do not know or understand that they are victims. Most are in complete denial.

So, I like that this movie showed that in the beginning. I would just suggest that they realize that actual victims are watching these kinds of movies and getting information, so they need to be careful not to discourage them.

Talking to DV workers in various regions of the country could have made this movie so much better.
17 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
POOR ALEX.
andrewchristianjr5 November 2021
This series shows the reality of being in poverty and how generational trauma is past on. If people don't deal with mental difficulties, bad habits and do nothing to help themselves it always affects their children. I really felt for Alex and her struggles for navigating her way out of a situation that wasn't great for her.
25 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Powerful Story.
daviddunn-9065311 October 2021
I binge watched this over a weekend. It is a fabulous drama,, sometimes funny, sometimes heartbreaking, It can be a difficult watch but thats the point. - Its the story of survival. Excellent performances from Andie MacDowell and her real life daughter Margaret Qualley.
21 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
All too real and believable a story
james-goddard11 October 2021
Only watched two episodes so far but really feel for the main character and sadly the story line is all too believable.

Also no idea why somebody would give it such a low rating of 2 stars so can only presume that this is because they have issues with the subject matter.
72 out of 101 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
So powerful and I won't forget this for a longtime
morgan_katy13 October 2021
I couldn't stop watching.

To the 1 star reviews you've completely missed the point. I'd explain it but if you've genuinely watched this and you still don't get it you never will, sadly.

Such wonderful acting and each relationship was so powerful and so real and very complex.

The little girl is an absolute dream too and I haven't stopped hugging my own daughter since watching it.
18 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Another Netflix Hit !!
destinf2 October 2021
This limited series is up there with the Queens Gambit and Squid Game for recent hits on Netflix, in my opinion. It came out on Netflix at 3am and I've already watched all 10 episodes. Very well done.
55 out of 76 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Beautiful.
OGmacadamia392 October 2021
This limited series is nothing short of beautiful. It's few and far between that you can find something to watch that evokes a true sense of this life that we are all hear doing our best to navigate.

It shines light on topics hard to discuss. The truth of each character (and maybe this is because I myself am from a small town), well each one seems like a person you've already met.

Sometimes we watch movies or shows just to escape our own lives, but this, is a show to remind you that each of our lives, everyone our stories, is worth telling.

I appreciate the acting (immensely) by every cast member. I love the music choices. I adore the nuances of things like a cupboard or an M with so much meaning. It was shot with precision.

I'm grateful that things like this make it to production still, and viewing life isn't completely lost in the fantastical. *Brilliant.
52 out of 73 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Amazing !
ervinaerchy1 October 2021
This is so real it hurts. Absolutely marvelous and outstanding cast. To those who commented it's not good; you couldn't recognize good even if it hit you right in your face. Again, I highly recommend it to all adults and also Every teenager should watch this to learn what happens when stuff like in this show happens in real life..
67 out of 97 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Emotional journey
ThunderBird9191 October 2021
This was a terrific work. We see Alex and maddy just trying to soldier on and survive in a toxic environment, while trying to keep faith and never lose hope.

Brought tears to my eyes, well done.
38 out of 53 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
WOW!!! WHAT A SHOW!!
snperera19 October 2021
This show had me hooked from the start! This show is so real, authentic, and emotional. The characters are well rounded and you really get to know them! I like that Alex is not perfect and that she makes mistakes and she makes some choices that are not the best! She is human and doing the best for her and her daughter! This show is so beautiful and hopeful and I just love it so much!
22 out of 29 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.