Solitary (2020) Poster

(III) (2020)

Doesn't make sense
asimov-58 September 2020
The movie is called Solitary, but at no time is the main actor on his own, at all. Do they not know what the word solitary means? The movie was a bad snorefest, need I say more
29 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wait, did I just sit through that?
shalon-258282 September 2020
Boring but keeps you waiting for a payoff, but then the movie just ends..this could have been so much better. I was hoping this was some sort of rehabilitation prison simulation..
34 out of 42 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
starts out good to become very boring
kaefab10 November 2020
Yes all i have to say sadly the movie starts good to become very boring over the course of the last 1h 20 minutes with a worthless payoff at the end.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Complete crap.
frankblack-799611 September 2020
One of the dumbest movies ever. Whoever wrote this garbage needs to censored for crimes against sci fi and basic screenwriting. Seriously folks. Don't waste your time with this trash.
48 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Terrible script, boring film
drunken_munki7 November 2020
Visually this movie is average to OK for a low budget title. However something I can never really get over or forgive in any film is a poor script.

Nothing makes sense in this film, the humans don't eat food or take a crap whilst trapped in the space pod. The space parts seem surreal. The opening 5 minutes give nothing to the plot, and the rest of the writing is a mess.

The dialogue is some of the worst parts of this film, and ranges from redundant statements to stunted incomplete sentences.

3/10 very poor.
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Great cinematography and visuals, but that's it.
Top_Dawg_Critic1 September 2020
British filmmaker Luke Armstrong is a visual effects pro, and it shows in this film. This is his first full length feature film, with about 12 short films as director and writer, his last being a short film with the same name. I haven't seen it, but he should've stopped there, and left this story as a short.

The 89 min runtime felt like +3 hours with the snail pacing and long dragged out and some unnecessary scenes. There were tons of plot and technical issues, and the dialogue was atrocious. I get this was a low budget b-grade film, and considering the small cheap sets, it showed really well. But more effort was needed in the dialogue department in the writing and the voices. What was the point of the "main switchboard" lady? She may as well have said "please hold" - at least that would've been funny. And the voice and dialogue from the "we're working on it" intercom dude was ridiculously infantile. I mean, it wouldn't have taken much effort to make him sound and talk more authentic.

Then we have the bad acting of the two leads. Although not amateurs, they were terrible and unconvincing. I'm sure for the most part it was the fault of the director failing to direct his cast properly. And having Alana easily subdue Issac, a military soldier, was a joke - even more so when everything was "back to normal ok" after doing so.

The only other redeeming quality was the score, that was decent and fitting, especially for a b-grade film. That, plus the visuals, is why I'm giving this so-called sci-fi-in-a-box my generous 5/10.
24 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Avoid this film
seasidesaffa11 September 2020
Just a really poor film. It goes nowhere and does nothing with wooden acting and weak dialogue
15 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Boring to say the least
edlc19709 November 2020
This is a boring british attempt of making a sci-fi movie. But it fails. Its poor acting, you can clearly hear the "actors" reading from a script, its a boring plot, nothing happens, a total waste of time. Avoid this garbage.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
The premise
FritzSchnitzt1 September 2020
I dont know what these people thought when working on the premise. It is the worst idea a human ever had. Sending mentally unstable prisoners into space, to fulfill the duty of safing mankind. Tremenodus. Its just great. Its the best premise ever
22 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
low budget film
erne971 September 2020
If you want to lose 1h:30 of your life, do it. Things that are wrong there are no bathrooms for those in the capsule, there is no food. Movie made with very little budget!
23 out of 36 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Just plain boring
Homer_Ate25 November 2020
Story just didn't grab me. Acting was sloppy and I wasn't convinced that it was 2044 or that the main characters were criminals, that they were in space or the world was suffering. Surpred I lasted an hour.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Not completely terrible, but yeah, it kinda is
rocknrollsteve4 September 2020
As others have stated, aside from the visual effects, this movie is total crap, so, the rating I gave it is very generous. What's 'is name is barely adequate as the confused dork, but the female lead wasn't believable as a woman in the slightest because she can't act and she's typical Brit chick fug. Unfortunate. Just keep looking for something good to watch on movie night because you ain't gonna find it here. This gobbledygook will only anger your significant other and provide them with the grounds to begin divorce proceedings they've been looking for.
12 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Stay away from this stinker at all cost!
psxexperten8 November 2020
Two people in a spacecraft most of the movie doing absolutely nothing. Watching paint dry is more interesting than this garbage. I just don't get what was the whole point, it just sucks so hard that I can't believe this has been done intentionally - surely something went horribly wrong somewhere, there has to be some excuse for the lack of any intelligence.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Generally boring, silly premise, good music and visuals. Ok for an Indie film
dmonbman6 November 2020
The premise is incredibly flawed in that humans are launched into space to dock with a space station, but the launch vehicle is a box, with two beds, plants, windows, and extremely spacious for a space vehicle (no bathroom?). That's not how a trip of a few hours would work. I'm pretty sure they'd make a passenger type vehicle and pack the humans into it. The pacing was not well done, and so as many state, it is boring. The music is surprisingly good and the visuals are strong which were positive as I've seen big budget films that look back and sound worse.
4 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
good movie nice drama and good acting but honestly the end sucks.leave so many questions without answers and I think a second part will be fantastic answer to all the drama
mirandarogelio-4228327 October 2020
In the end I don't wanna leave spoiler but the writer and director should know
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Waste of time
ismaelg-580163 November 2020
First 45 minutes of the movie and i still had no idea what the hell was happening. Huge headache to watch.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Very Slow & Pointless
studio-151-72548711 May 2021
One of those movies you'd put on if you dont want to take in any information to wants going on, Just a really boring movie with no action and looking to be a hit but its not gonna happen. AVOID THIS ONE GUYS ill save you the time.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
This is what you get when you film in your living room with a green screen
bananaspider1 September 2020
First off, this girl beats this dude to a pulp multiple times in one short sequence. Huh? Now that you know this movie is fake as H E double hockey sticks, well, the story too is quite bad with bad voice overs (being ground control). Watch if you got nothing else. More importantly, be proud to be an American.
20 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Wtf I just watched
bru3063 November 2020
I don't have any words to describe this movie. Just don't waste your time with it. Absolutely garbage !
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
If you like Sci-fi B movies, this is one of the better ones.
tinidrilcharon5 September 2020
I watched it to the end with interest. There have been many others I have turned off after 3 mins. Main actors were pretty good, some of the voice acting sounded like 'the guy that calls you with information' on a video game. Good effects, some of the plot twists were predictable.
10 out of 20 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
A Poor Man's "Gravity (2013)"
refordgarry1 September 2020
After quarrels with the US over Suez, Britain played no manned role in the Space Race, making the first Briton in Space a female Cosmonaut. So, no coffee-capsule George Clooney and Sandra Bullock - but two unknown British actors, playing 2040's Space Convicts in their own scaled-down version of Gravity. Accepting the narrowed parameters, including the "need" for females with no physique to demonstrate exceptional strength (Oh no - not again!) this flick was not too bad. It fostered, suspense, concern about the fate of the 2 crew and disgust at the double-dealing of those back on Earth. Were it a school production it'd merit applause.
13 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Luke Armstrong should stop writing garbage like this and get back to Burger Flipping.
aelthric17 November 2020
Seriously I tried to like this, I tried to see the diamond ring in the crap tosheroon but alas it was just a ball of crap with not so much as a farthing to validate its waste of time.

Most Sci-fi and indeed fiction works on the premise of possibility and the suspension of disbelief, in the begining of this film we are told the World is overpopulated with dwindling finite resources which are fast running out. (Remember this as it is important).

Then we have a scene where a man is being followed and then ends up running from a group of unknown armed assailants into a shipping containers yard where they exchange gun shots. A worker from the shipping containers yard comes out to see what is happening and challenges the group of men who then deliberately shoot him and as the running man cradles the dying worker in his arms the armed men surround and then apparently arrest the armed man when they had no qualms in killing an innocent worker??? Seriously I am not making this stuff up!

The running man then mysteriously wakes up in some sort of cell and looking around sees a young woman in there who tells him they have been sentenced to life in space for their crimes (This film is called solitary... WHY?).

Remember I asked to to bear in mind that the World is running out of resources? Well now imagine they are wasting all those resources in sending criminals into space? Are you starting to wonder who wrote this tripe?

Apparently in space you can hear explosions (Or in this film you can) because the two in hahaha "Solitary" look out the window after hearing an explosion out in the vacuum of space.

Also to account for the apparent gravity in this orbitting prison cell we are told the inmates have magnetic implants that are attracted to the magnets in the floor and yet the womans shoulder length hair seems also to be pulled down with magnetic attraction, so how exactly would that work?

This all went on in the first 11 minutes of the film, the rest I have not commented on so no spoilers but to Luke Armstrong I applaud you for your attempts, we should after all show some encouragement when people try new things and now he has tried screenwriting and directing maybe he should take a break and try something new, like flipping burgers at his local burger bar?
3 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
How on earth did this get made!?!
mcscruttock15 January 2021
Amateurish from start to finish. Can barely believe anyone cleared this for release. Apparently set in 2044 but the street furniture/bus signs from the opening shots are completely unchanged from 2019?!? The film is called Solitary even though there are 2 of them in the capsule? The on-ship computer misspells his name as Issac and no one in the editing team notices!?!

2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Nothing to see here
neuntoeter3 December 2020
When I saw the movie it had 5.1 rating which usually indicates at least a watchable movie. School plays have better acting then this, at least we did a better job as utter and complete amateurs. The idea it self is fine, but the execution and acting are not only bad, they are utterly unconvincing (they sound like first script reading) and the plot it self is a mess. Others have also noted a weird issue of people not having to eat or go to toilet.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.
Misfire
head4space6 October 2021
The title of the film is solitary, that in itself would imply being by ones self and yet the main character is a mate throughout the miserably boring entire first 20 minutes that I could endure. It should have instead been titled misfire, as the film consistently misses the mark in all things film related, plot, premise, pace, acting, cinematography, score. It is of such low quality, one might confuse this with some flunky student film project. This is so poorly done, I'll have to make a mental note of the director and production as to hopefully avoid viewing such disaster. Sad to see so much garbage out there to the point it's becoming commonplace.
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? Sign in to vote.